This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 10/05: Our service provider has address the problems with this site. It should now be functioning properly for all. Thank you for your patience.

We have posted answers to more FAQs. Please let us know what other questions you might have.

17 Responses

Bootstrap_10155847987434494
Amy McGovern 3 months ago

Thank you for posting an answer regarding Buckhorn Creek. Unfortunately, your answer is not correct as you state that there is a “higher demand for traditional calendar schools in our district.” This is not true, and in Holly Springs there is overwhelming support for year round schools. Can you please share where you are getting your data from? Have you conducted an actual polls of parents and children? Additionally, Holly Springs is experiencing exponential growth and opening this school as a year round school will allow for more students to attend this school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Melanie Rudd 3 months ago

Thank you for the information on YR TO YR changes in terms of the children being automatically placed.

Regarding the FAQ below - where do children fall that have a base of a traditional school, but are automatically assigned to YR because that is where they currently are enrolled. When do those children apply for transfer if desired?

Do we get the opportunity to request a change? What if you need a traditional schedule? Starting​ ​in​ ​2018,​ ​parents​ ​will​ ​follow​ ​new​ ​procedures​ ​for​ ​making​ ​school​ ​change​ ​requests.​ ​The process​ ​for​ ​requesting​ ​to​ ​attend​ ​a​ ​school​ ​with​ ​a​ ​different​ ​calendar​ ​will​ ​change​ ​significantly, as​ ​will​ ​the​ ​process​ ​for​ ​requesting​ ​a​ ​transfer​ ​due​ ​to​ ​a​ ​specific​ ​hardship. Here​ ​are​ ​the​ ​main​ ​changes: ● If​ ​your​ ​base​ ​school​ ​is​ ​on​ ​a​ ​traditional​ ​calendar:​ ​You​ ​may​ ​apply​ ​to​ ​a​ ​designated year-round​ ​calendar​ ​school​ ​between​ ​Jan.​ ​10-31,​ ​2018.​ ​This​ ​is​ ​the​ ​same​ ​time​ ​as​ ​the Magnet​ ​Application​ ​Period,​ ​which​ ​is​ ​open​ ​to​ ​all​ ​students.​ ​Applications​ ​are​ ​not guaranteed. ● If​ ​your​ ​base​ ​school​ ​is​ ​on​ ​a​ ​non-traditional​ ​calendar:​ ​You​ ​may​ ​request​ ​a​ ​seat​ ​at​ ​a designated​ ​traditional​ ​calendar​ ​school​ ​during​ ​the​ ​Request​ ​for​ ​Transfer​ ​period,​ ​Feb. 20​ ​-​ ​March​ ​6,​ ​2018.​ ​Requests​ ​are​ ​not​ ​guaranteed. ● There​ ​will​ ​no​ ​longer​ ​be​ ​a​ ​“Calendar​ ​Option”​ ​application​ ​period​ ​in​ ​February. ● Students​ ​requesting​ ​a​ ​school​ ​assignment​ ​change​ ​for​ ​any​ ​other​ ​reason,​ ​including reasons​ ​due​ ​to​ ​hardship,​ ​may​ ​make​ ​their​ ​request​ ​during​ ​this​ ​same​ ​Request​ ​for Transfer​ ​period,​ ​Feb.​ ​20​ ​-​ ​March​ ​6,​ ​2018. ● There​ ​will​ ​no​ ​longer​ ​be​ ​a​ ​hardship​ ​transfer​ ​period​ ​in​ ​May

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Elisabeth Anderson 3 months ago

While the county as a whole may tend to prefer a traditional calendar, I do not believe that to be the case county-wide. Wake county is very large and diverse, and such a blanket statement cannot possibly cover all areas of our district. In Holly Springs, the year round calendar option seems to be extremely popular. Our year round schools are full to capacity and then some. The Avocet neighborhood in particular seems to OVERWHELMINGLY favor a year round calendar, and we will essentially be left without a year round option under the current proposal, as our assigned YR application school is capped. Please reconsider moving this neighborhood to a traditional calendar base, and rather let those few families that prefer a traditional calendar apply to one.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Victoria Zippi 2 months ago

I am confused because previous questions asked about proximity to schools that the board stated they cannot always assign everyone to their closest school due to the housing patterns and varying housing densities, it is simply not possible to assign everyone to their closest school; however, based on the response In the FAQ's it was stated that the long term plan for Apex Friendship Middle attendance had Scotts Ridge Elementary would be the feeder school because they are on the traditional calendar. The new proposal the board has proposed splits the majority of the students that are going to SRE currently. For example, eliminating Scotts Mill, Pearson Farms, Dogwood Ridge, & Cameron Ridge subdivision to name a few. Can you please explain if the long term plan for students attending SRE was to go to Apex Friendship middle, why has it changed? This contradicts the goal of stability. Please keep the SRE kids together in middle school. Please re-consider the map alignment to include the students that are currently attending SRE in these neighborhoods.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

Not sure where exactly to place this so I'll place it in a more general area.

There are so many other ways to lessen the burden on families affected by this rezoning proposal (which I had no idea it is affecting folks all over the county. I am mostly aware of its affects in Fuquay-Varina). For instance, keep the current boundaries for Lincoln Heights the way they are and any new neighborhoods being built, zone them to LHES. If needing to rezone my neighborhood, zone it for the new school Buckhorn. I wouldn't mind being part of opening a new school. I do mind my family being rezoned to a low performing, not meeting standards school. A school where it seems the county has neglected and forgot about. Invest money back into LHES, make it a great school again, and families will then be okay with attending there.

I don't feel it is right to move students from a performing above standards school to a low, under performing school. Thank you.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Markham 2 months ago

In the proposed draft, there is a neighborhood in Holly Springs (Arbor Creek), that is zoned for Holly Ridge Middle and Apex Friendship High School. There is another neighborhood less than a mile away (Oak Hall), that is zoned for Apex Friendship Middle and then Holly Springs High School. I think this was an oversight/error in the assignment plan. It would make far more sense for whichever kids go to AFMS to then go to AFHS. I know this isn’t always possible and we don’t have any true “feeder” schools, but in this case the neighborhood assignments have just been flip flopped and could easily be remedied. For kids, when possible, that continuity is helpful because the reality is that a large percentage of kids going to AFMS will go to AFHS and s huge percentage of those going to HRMS will go to HSHS. I know that isn’t always the case, but in this instance with these two neighborhoods an easy switch could be made to allow for more continuity for the kids.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sara Sherman 2 months ago

I am dissaopinted in the draft proposal. I live in the Walnut Ridge neighbordhood in Cary and I have a 1st grader at Dillard Drive Elementary School. Even though our school is not overcrowded and a new school is not opening in our area we are being reassigned and put on a new calendar. Uprooting my son is unnecessary and I believe keeping him stable at Dillard Drive is in his best interest. At the very least I believe Dillard Drive should be our Traditional Calendar option school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melanie Rudd 2 months ago

With Fuquay Varina ES being capped, will parent of students where FV is their base, but are currently in Year Round Schools (and thus being enrolled by default into the calendar option) be able to transfer these children into the base school (FVES)?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Question regarding this item in FAQ 2:

I am wondering if kids who have already been granted transfers for the current school year will have to request a transfer again to stay where they are? At​ ​this​ ​time,​ ​our​ ​practice​ ​is​ ​to​ ​continue to​ ​assign​ ​transfer​ ​students​ ​to​ ​the​ ​same​ ​transfer​ ​school.​ ​ ​There​ ​is​ ​a​ ​recommendation​ ​for​ ​the Board​ ​of​ ​Education​ ​in​ ​Draft​ ​1​ ​of​ ​the​ ​2018-19​ ​Enrollment​ ​Proposal​ ​that​ ​do​ ​not​ ​renew​ ​the transfer​ ​status​ ​of​ ​all​ ​transfer​ ​students​ ​at​ ​Jeffreys​ ​Grove​ ​Elementary​ ​to​ ​relieve​ ​crowding​ ​at the​ ​school​ ​and​ ​allow​ ​the​ ​school​ ​to​ ​better​ ​accommodate​ ​the​ ​K-3​ ​class​ ​size​ ​reduction mandated​ ​by​ ​the​ ​Legislature.​ ​If​ ​this​ ​proposal​ ​is​ ​approved,​ ​these​ ​students​ ​will​ ​be​ ​assigned​ ​to their​ ​base​ ​school​ ​for​ ​2018-19.

Does this mean that transfer students, by default are not considered in the potential reassignments regardless of proximity and where the lines are drawn?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Paul Kouroupas 2 months ago

• The proposed 2018-19 Enrollment Plan appears to fail the Board’s own standards (or “Pillars”) when it comes to the Carpenter Village neighborhood.
o First and foremost, the proposed assignment of Carpenter Village to East Cary Middle School fails the proximity pillar. ECMS is 8 miles from Carpenter Village (versus 5 miles to David Drive Middle School). While 3 miles may not seem like much, it actually adds about 15 minutes to the commuting time, which for parents is adding 30 minutes round trip. For working parents, those 30 minutes are precious indeed and can cause an undue burden. For instance, I have a son who plays football and I have to pick him up daily from practice and sometime drive him to school because the bus is over-crowded and he can’t fit his equipment. If he were attending ECMS, we would not be able to do this and he would not participate in the football program. o This brings me to the second “pillar” which is student achievement. If the parents are unable to be active participants in the school and the children have to forego after school activities, student achievement is going to suffer. DDMS was just awarded Blue Ribbon status for a reason and I submit a big part of that reason is the parental involvement which simply won’t be possible at ECMS at least for Carpenter Village parents o The third pillar is stability. With all of the development going on around ECMS and the planned opening of Alston Ridge Middle School, the board is going to have to once again re-allocate students amongst the schools and Carpenter Village will very likely be affected. The board would be well-advised to wait to see the effects of development and the opening of Alston Ridge before deciding to reassign Carpenter Village. o The last pillar is operational efficiency. ECMS, like other year-round schools, is currently under-enrolled. The board should re-evaluate the benefits of year-round schools, taking into account their historic under-enrollment, and determine whether their continued prominence is justified. I would also note that I have two older children on traditional calendars and having to manages a third child on a year-round schedule presents a challenge to family cohesion and unity. • For these reasons, I strongly urge the board to reconsider the proposed Enrollment Plan. Residents of Carpenter Village are going to bear a disproportionate burden for which the students will suffer most.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Can you please explain why transfer students are not impacted by these proposed re-assignment changes? What is the reasoning that a transfer student be automatically grandfathered in when another student that lives in closer proximity and has been at the school for the same amount of time must move?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jacquelynn Ray 2 months ago

With the new 2018-2019 proposal plan for my neighborhood (Forest Landing, off of Hwy 50), I feel that Wake County is not applying the criteria that makes our school system great. In the past, Wake County Public School System seemed to follow the guidelines and based decisions on Stability, Proximity, Operational Efficiency, and Student Achievement. I have concerns that these parameters are not being applied to my neighborhood or to my base school.

My neighborhood has had Aversboro Elementary as its base school since the neighborhood was created in the 1980’s. This has been a deciding factor for my family to stay in Garner. We liked the idea of stability and our children do well with consistency. Now I’m being told that my child who is in the 1st grade, going into the 2nd grade, will have to change schools. Wake County promotes not changing children within 3 years, but that is exactly what you are doing to my child. She moved into your school system only 2 years ago. She has become part of a community and is now being told she has to move. Aversboro Elementary would not be our base with the new plan and is not even an application option. I also have a rising kindergartener that looks forward to going to school with her sister and she also has gotten to know the Aversboro Elementary group through being with me when helping support the PTA and other school functions.

When looking at the new plan I to notice that I can apply to a year-round option that is closer to my surrounding community than the proposed base school. But I have concerns with the new grandfathering policies. If I apply through the application process for both my children to a year-round option, is there a chance that one of them would not be admitted and end up at separate schools? Again, this would go back to stability. My youngest is looking forward to going to school with her older sister. Having my children at the same school would help them and the school by having a more stable, secure, and healthier environment for them to learn. I feel having them at the same school, our family would be able to support the staff and teachers more. If I have to travel between two schools, both schools would miss out on the support physically (PTA events, field trip participation, etc..) and financially from my family because I wouldn’t be fully invested in either school system, and I would be more concerned on maintaining the health of my family.

Wake County talks about proximity. We are being told to change from a school that is 1.4 miles from our home to one that is 3.5 miles. That doesn’t seem like a lot, but it is when you drive those miles in traffic. We could possibly walk to our current school, since it takes us 3-5 minutes to get to Aversboro Elementary with traffic. To get to the new proposed school (Creech Elementary) we it would take 10-15 minutes, crossing three major intersections, and I’m not including the railway crossings with that total. We are currently surrounded by families who attend Aversboro Elementary, who we see in our daily lives. We are being forced to attend a school that is across town, we do not know the community or attend functions in this part of town.

From looking at the proposed plan you are moving children from a base at Vandora Springs Elementary to Aversboro Elementary. This may seem to promote operational efficiency, but it only adds to my confusion. Vandora Springs is being built as I write this. I was under the impression that the new school was planned/built so that the community could ‘grow’ into it. It would seem very shortsighted if this was not the case. So, why are children being moved from the Vandora Springs base to Aversoboro? If there is concern about overcrowding at Aversboro Elementary and my child is being moved out why are others being moved to Aversboro Elementary? I know you are looking at numbers when making these decisions, but I implore you to remember every number represents a child, family, and community that is going to be affected.

As Wake County School Systems guidelines also looks at Student Achievements. Aversboro Elementary does show higher testing scores than the proposed base, Creech Elementary. So, my child would be moving from a stable, secure, environment, to a school that is under preforming. I understand that you have to find a way to improve a school system, but I don’t feel that my child should be forced to a school where she might not get an education that is better or comparable to her current school.

Please Explain to us how Wake County School System is living up to its standards of on Stability, Proximity, Operational Efficiency, and Student Achievements for my community.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
lauren mclamb 2 months ago

yes wcpss doesnt even begin to understand the traffic on hwy50. moving you to creech rd is going to really be hard during the morning commute. i live equal distance from west lake middle and north garner middle and we are assigned north garner middle and it takes me FOREVER to get there with traffic on old stage and hwy 50. the folks that draw these maps really have no idea of traffic bc they don't live her, its very unfortunate.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Stacey Guard 2 months ago

The Sunset Forest neighborhood on Purfoy Rd. in Fuquay-Varina has had Willow Springs Elementary, a year-round calendar school, as its base assignment for many, many years. According to your proposal, the children living in Sunset Forest would now have Fuquay-Varina Elementary, a traditional calendar school, as their base assignment. These children and their families are all invested in the year-round calendar — yet, these students are not being automatically reassigned to a year-round school. If this neighborhood simply must be reassigned out of WSES, then the families that want their children to remain on a year-round calendar should either be auto-enrolled at Ballentine Elementary (the year-round calendar application option) or at the very least guaranteed seats when the transfer paperwork is completed. Though, it seems silly to have these families fill out transfer requests to get back on the calendar schedule they’ve followed for so many years. I have a very hard time understanding how this makes sense.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sara Sherman 2 months ago

After attending last night's info session I remain disappointed in the Dillard Drive Elementary reassignment. Dillard Drive was not listed as an overcrowded school in the presentation that was given. On the data slide about the move (32) it states that Dillard is expected to be at 101% capacity next year and the new school is project to be at 108%. After reassignment, Dillard is projected to be at 80% and the new school at 139%. This does not add up and is not a good reason to uproot families.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_1701695236508327
Shirley Zhou 2 months ago

There are more than 179 key words in the forum about the re-zoning in "carpenter village". But it seems that we haven't gotten attention from committee yet.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Cathleen DiDonato 2 months ago

I PREFER traditional as I am a teacher on a traditional schedule and am upset that in the proposal we are being moved to Year Round. I believe students should be able to stay where they start (without transportation). Being moved out of our home school, FVES would be such a disservice to my son and other students at FVES. Students flourish within a school community that they feel a part of, and invested in. FVES has the capacity to hold its current students with the K-3 mandate. Please enforce the stay where your start policy and grandfather current students to their school. It was said at the Oct 6th meeting that new schools practically fill themselves. Please allow for a more gradual plan so that these students at FVES are not being forced to a different school (on a different calendar option).

1 Vote