This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 10/05: Our service provider has address the problems with this site. It should now be functioning properly for all. Thank you for your patience.

Here are the proposed elementary school grandfathering rules, to utilize new school capacity and meet State mandated class-size reduction for grades K-3:

• Elementary school students who experience an assignment change as a result of this enrollment proposal, and are rising into grade 5, are eligible to request a transfer that would allow them to “grandfather” at their current assignment. These requests will be approved.

• Grandfather requests are transfer requests that can be made through the School Transfer process. 

• Grandfathered students will not receive district transportation.

• Siblings of eligible grandfather students are not eligible to grandfather.

Here are the proposed middle and high school grandfathering rules:

Students who experience an assignment change from an existing school to an existing school:

• All current students in 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 grades are eligible to request a transfer to “grandfather” at their current assignment. These requests will be approved.

• Students who request to grandfather are transfer students and no transportation will be provided.

Students who experience an assignment change from an existing school to a new school:

• Only students rising into grades 8, 11 and 12 only are eligible to request a transfer to “grandfather” at their current assignment. These requests will be approved.

•Students who request to grandfather are transfer students and no transportation will be provided. 

• Grandfather requests can be made through the School Transfer process and grandfathered students will not receive district transportation unless they are in grades 11 and 12 and assigned to a new high school.

Please leave your feedback about these proposed rules in the comments below.

171 Responses

Default_avatar
Suzie Adamsky 3 months ago

Is Garner HS considered a 'New School' or an 'Existing School'?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 3 months ago

Existing.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Aaron Weis 3 months ago

This grandfathering proposal is very constricting and damaging to the district's reputation. We have been at Vance for 11 years of education across three kids. The teachers and administrators have become like family to us and our kids. We have volunteered in a number of different ways. Now, with our getting set to leave for middle school and our middle child being a rising 4th grader, she and our youngest will be reassigned. This policy ignores families and what is best for kids. It's just the easiest thing for the district to manage. Vance is closest to our home and a place our kids feel like they are at home. Now they are forced to start over. This is a major setback for their academic and emotional development. How do we explain this when it makes little to no sense to us? Please do the right thing for kids and families--not just the district. Rethink this shortsighted grandfathering rule.

16 Votes
Default_avatar
Jessica Killette 3 months ago

Amen!

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Melanie Rudd 3 months ago

Agreed - grandfathering with transportation should be considered for all students to uphold the stability pillar. Particularly when it seems that students are being moved out of schools only to make room for others to move into their spot - thus not reducing the overall population.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Jessica Killette 3 months ago

I think it's ridiculous that my child has been attending the same elementary school for going on 3 years and now she might not be able to attend that school for grades 3-5. Carver was never our base school, even though it's only 3 miles from our house, but it was a calendar option. Now with the proposed changes, it's not even a calendar option for us. But schools 15 miles away are and our base school is 7-8 miles away...how does that make any sense. To know that we're likely going to have to try to transfer back into the school we've already been attending is so frustrating, and the fact that it's not on our calendar option list so who knows if we'll even get to stay. My child loves the staff, she loves the kids and she's thriving academically. To know that we may have to pull her from all of this because she's not a rising 5th grader and because this proposal has changed our school options is very upsetting. Does anyone on the school board have young children attending schools in Eastern Wake county? We live in a small town with a tight knit community so we can attend the schools in that small town, not so we can bus our kids out to Raleigh schools.

10 Votes
Bootstrap_1449159985121146
Christopher Mast 2 months ago

I totally agree. My youngest will have just gone through Kindergarten this year at Sycamore Creek where we have been with our other older kids for 8 years now and may now have to uproot and switch schools. Our 3 kids are slated to attend 2 different schools. Currently, one school is a 3 min walk from our house and the other, a 5 min drive. Our new proposed base schools are 20 min drive at best with traffic. We are against the idea of busing for extended periods of time, especially when we have one school walking distance and one only 5 minutes driving time away.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Gloria Garver 3 months ago

School board - please consider that as difficult as your decisions are, making it more difficult for families to have their students at the same level schools (having 2 elementary students at 2 different elementary schools, or 2 middle school students at 2 different middle schools, etc) is a tremendous burden. The new K-3 classroom cap certainly has created a huge challenge, but it is NOT RIGHT for students or to ask parents to decide between sacrificing what's good for one child (to grandfather) in order to have children at the same school versus keeping one child grandfathered and other sibling(s) who forcibly must attend a different school. The latter situation is easily and potentially a logistical nightmare. This "choice" almost makes the grandfather rule not really an option for many families and their students. Grandfather rules need to optimize the situation for families who are reassigned, not worsen them. Do consider keeping grandfather - sibling eligibility so that families may have as reasonable a situation as they can when reassigned.

15 Votes
Default_avatar

Yes - it does seem that the perceived "choices" really don't exist.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

I agree with this also. Please grandfather ALL students and ALL siblings (grandfather families). "Stay where you start" should apply to families.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Amanda Shabrack 3 months ago

I am still very confused. I received an email that said my child will be affected by the new proposal. She was scheduled to attend Lufkin Middle next year, and the email said she would now be going to Apex Friendship. But when I go to the Draft 1 school assignment, it still says Lufkin for our address. I really want her to stay at Lufkin because I have another child at a year round school on track 4 (special needs). It will be hectic to have them on different schedules. However, I cannot possibly provide transportation if I have to apply to keep her there.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Sorry for the confusion. We emailed everyone at schools where some students are proposed to have new assignments. The address look-up tool is the way to confirm whether you are one of those proposed to be affected. http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/proposalFirstDraft/ You can also call 919-431-7333 for specific questions about your child's proposed 2018-19 base and application schools.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sandra Gernhard 3 months ago

Since 11th and 12th graders are being assigned to GMHS for the 18-19 school year, will they be coded as transfer or base students? Also, when my daughter was a rising 9th grader in 16-17, we were told by the GMHS principal during open house that younger siblings would be allowed to grandfather into GMHS if they had an older sibling in 11th or 12th grade. The new proposed grandfathering rules do not support the information given to families by the GMHS principal. I feel that, yet again, Garner parents are being duped with misinformation and/or misguided promises. What's disturbing is that parents are making major life decisions for their families based on this MISINFORMATION and there is no excuse for this.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Sandra. Just to clarify, the proposed grandfathering rules for 2018-19 are new. The information provided to you was accurate based on the current policy. We will address your first question in our next FAQ.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
AMRITA NAIK 3 months ago

My son is in Grade 7 at Davis Drive MS and we stay in Carpenter Village. Re-assigning his school at this point would cause de-stabilization right before his exit grade. This is highly undesirable and will cause a lot of stress and strain for the child. Moreover, with “Alston Ridge Middle School” slated to open in 2019, there will be yet another re-assignment at that point causing another round of churn and instability. Stability and continuance are of prime importance for the healthy academic development of children. I sincerely request you to consider retaining Carpenter Village at “Davis Drive MS”

10 Votes
Default_avatar

It seems many locations have schools slated to open shortly after this round of transfers causing the same concern - how many times will elementary school children be expected to switch schools?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Michelle Antonio 3 months ago

I have a rising 5th grader at Olive Chapel Elementary and live in Scott's Mill. While I understand completely the reasoning behind the elimination of transportation to a school when you grandfather a child in, I would request consideration of siblings to stay at this school for the one year that the grandfathered child stays. Our situation has two large implications: 1- Our base school is Scott's Ridge...this means I am set up with one child on track two year round and one on Traditional calendar - no overlapping breaks since track 2 does not track out during the summer. 2- Both schools do not have transportation for us. We are a walking neighborhood for SR. How am I to sit in carpool lines for both children at the same time? I certainly am not going to have my 5 year old walk clear across the neighborhood by herself to get to school in Kindergarten. I would like to respectfully request that you reconsider sibling enrollment for the year of the grandfathered child at OCE.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Jenny Gidley 3 months ago

Our family will be impacted by the proposed changes to the student assignment plan. My children currently attend Sycamore Creek as year round application students. They will be rising 4th and 2nd graders next year. Under the new plan they would be forced to move to Pleasant Union with no option to grandfather. Please reconsider the grandfather rules. Restore it to all previous years reassignment plans which allowed 4th and 5th graders to grandfather along with younger siblings at the school.

Both of my children have been at SCES since kindergarten. We adore Sycamore Creek and have been very involved since day 1 volunteering, fundraising and giving back to the community as a whole. They are thriving at SCES. I don't want to do anything to disrupt their environment, stability and love of learning.

Grandfathering only 5th graders in elementary school is not consistent with the pillars for student assignment:

1. Proximity: SCES is the closest elementary school to our home. We provide transportation currently and are happy to continue doing so if approved with grandfather status.

2. Stability: Moving children in the middle of their elementary years will be damaging to their emotional health and academics. Excluding grandfathering for rising 4th graders and siblings will be detrimental. Previous assignment plans have always allowed for rising 4th, 5th and siblings to receive grandfather status.

3. Student Achievement: SCES is excelling academically with existing class sizes to the school population overall. It has an A rating in the most recent data released. Grandfathering will allow my children to continue to have access to academic excellence through SCES.

Please revise the plan to allow current students in grades 4 & 5 plus younger siblings to grandfather and stay at the school through the completion of 5th grade. Thank you to the planning department and board members for your consideration of this sincere request.

11 Votes
Default_avatar
Scott Quilty 3 months ago

My children are in the same situation at WSES, and I whole-hearted agree with Jenny's comment. Grandfathering rules under this Proposal are generous for Middle and HS students by comparison, but elementary students, who are less equipped to deal with this kind of disruptive change, are left to be shuffled at the start of their educational journey. That does not make sense to me, very frustrating.

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Tameeka Scott 2 months ago

We are also at WSES. Unfortunately, we are unable to be grandfathered as my current fifth grader will be leaving next year. We also have a first grader that can not be grandfathered in this current proposal. This is the only school she has known and to uproot her because she is not in fifth grade isn't what I am prepared to do. My kids thrive on stability. They know nine weeks on / three weeks off. This school is our family has been since we moved in this neighborhood. They know the principal, the teachers, the students. The grow together as a unit and that's how student achievement is reached. WSES is also excelling academically with the existing class sizes. It is my understanding the school (E35) being built in less than two years is going to split WSES in half. Why not wait until then? At least give the elementary students a chance at stability. This transfer gives the appearance of moving kids out only to move other kids in, not solving the current issue or overcrowding. It looks like a balancing act that isn't going to work. Stability isn't transferring a year round student to a traditional calendar. If transportation is a influencing factor, please let us provide this transportation to allow us to finish where we start.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

I agree also regarding E35. Why not wait till then to do rezoning in Fuquay-Varina./ Moving students now, only to move more later makes no sense. And it was stated that those who are to move now, wouldn't be moved when E35 is to open. it is like you are just displacing students from WSES and moving them to FVES (another capped school). Does that eliminate the over crowdedness at FVES? I would rather have the board wait also to do any rezoning with WSES and FVES. And the data shows that both these schools can accommodate the K-3 legislation class sizes if the current base attends the school. My children are in the current base (which has been FVES' base since the neighborhood was built in 2005-2008 or so) for FVES so that school can accommodate my family. And WSES can accommodate its base also. Keep things as they are and when E35 opens...look to make zoning changes then.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

sorry, just want to add: moving students from WSES to FVES is like a temporary solution (and how does it solve anything for FVES). you are giving my family's seats to another family. And again both schools have the space to meet the K-3 class sizes if current base attends the base school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Aaron Kirk 2 months ago

I have kids in a similar situation as Jenny, except that I have a rising 5th grader and a rising 3rd grader. Under the proposed plan, my 5th grader could finish out at SCES but my 3rd grader would be forced to switch schools. I would be left with 3 kids in 3 different schools (my oldest is at Pine Hollow).

SCES is an amazing school my children love. They love their teachers. They love their friends. Please don't force this change on my family. Grandfathering has always existed for very good reasons.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Lisa Edwards 2 months ago

We are in the same situation. We have been at our base school (which has been our base for 15 plus years) for 9 years between three children. My first grader is there now--the other 2 have moved onto middle school but we are very vested in WSES--emotionally as well as physically and financially to be completely honest.We just want to be able to finish where we began years ago. If the base changes for our neighborhood it changes, but my hopes are for her to be allowed to stay under past grandfathering clauses.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Joe Pasquale 3 months ago

My family is in the same situation as Jenny's. Our daughter has been at SCES since kindergarten and she is now very anxious about what will happen next year. A little girl going into 4th grade has enough to be worried about and where she goes to school should not be one of them. Jeffrey's Grove is out new base and that is nearly 7 miles (roughly 20 mins each way) clean in the opposite direction from work. That will add an additional 2 hours each day when SCES is literally 2 miles down the road. Please take that into consideration. The grandfather process needs to be more liberal and forgiving.

I agree completely with Jenny with all of her points above. My wife and I have talked to many of our neighbors whose children attend SCES on a transfer basis and all share the same concerns. I understand some families will be burdened and where it makes logical sense I would not mind being one of those but please consider stability and proximity when assigning schools.

Thank you for your consideration. Joe

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Christina Brunk 3 months ago

I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback on the new Student Assignment Plan. I am the parent of a 3rd grader at Sycamore Creek Elementary school and I would like to stay! From what I hear, we may be asked to return to our base school, Jeffrey’s Grove. I also understand that Jeffrey’s Grove is currently capped which will lead to displacing current JGES students to place calendar-option SCES students in their stead. So the proposal is to replace displaced students with displaced students? Please leave our children at SCES. Many SCES parents have siblings at Pine Hollow Middle (our year-round Middle School option). Moving our kids to JGES will cause many more problems than it will solve.

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

The same thing is happening at Willow Springs Elementary and Fuquay Varina Elementary. The Board wants to rezone students from WSES to FVES. Both schools are capped. Also WSES is a year round school, FVES is not. So one, you are asking families to go from year round to traditional and two you are taking a seat away from my daughter who attends FVES and giving it to someone who doesn't want to attend a traditional school. And as stated above you are "displacing students with displaced students."

2 Votes

Default_avatar

YES - how does the swapping of kids for other kids make sense? That doesn't seem to do anything for overcrowding so what is the real driving factor?

3 Votes
Bootstrap_10214458465230896
Kim Maxfield 2 months ago

I definitely agree with Melanie here. How does "getting rid of some kids" only to rezone other kids to that particular school that is capped going to help solve the over enrollment problem? Stick with the grandfathering policy that has always been. Allow our kids to finish where they started.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kristin Riha 3 months ago

To be clear, grandfathering is intrinsically linked to the changes in school assignments. I would suggest combining this discussion with the discussion on the calendar changes.

I see major equity issues with allowing my rising 5th grader to stay at her current school, but not allowing my rising 3rd grader to stay. Grandfathering is grandfathering by definition. There should not be conditions applied to any grandfathering policy that give the optics that there is an inequitable system at play. How am I supposed to explain that to my 2nd grader, who relies heavily on her sister at her current school and battles greatly with new social situations and major changes, in general, that she cannot go to her school but her sister can? Am I supposed to tell her, "Oh sorry, honey, that's just the way it is?" Not to mention that the school she would theoretically be transferred to is nearly capped and we run the chance that she would have to transfer yet again? The proposal lacks transparency in how the calendar decisions were made--what considerations were made re: the following factors: 1. equity, 2. potential for future transfers, and 3. long-term solutions. The calendar decisions appear to be founded primarily on an opportunity to leverage the movement of students into the new schools and "shuffle the deck" in order to move high performing students into low performing schools for test score purposes. I hope that I'm wrong, but what I'm asking for is some transparency in the decision-making process--not fancy graphs, which the proposal includes, but more explanatory text.

16 Votes
Default_avatar

I completely agree with Kristin. It feels like restrictive grandfathering provisions for elementary school students, the most vulnerable population in our school systems, is designed to encourage moves. Why is WCPSS not asking for volunteers first before disrupting the lives of 1/6 of the families as a result of opening just 4 more schools?

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Farrah Baynes 2 months ago

Kristin Riha we are in the same situation at Carver. My rising 5th grader would be grandfathered, but according to this proposal my rising 3rd grader would not. These young impressionable children need all the encouragement they can get to foster a love of learning. All of this disruption and being faced with the impossible decision of sending the younger sibling to a different school vs. sending them both to a different school is certainly not conducive to learning. Yes, children are resilient, but I have one child already experiencing severe anxiety. What do you think these changes will do to her? It's not good any way you try to spin it. I know the board of education is trying to look out for the best interest of the largest number of students, but I've been reading through all of these MANY comments, and so far, I only see TWO parents who are in favor of the proposed changes. Maybe the reason I don't understand how 2>hundreds is due to common core math?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Gillian McDunn 3 months ago

I believe the proposed grandfathering plan should be amended to include siblings of students who are currently attending the school, especially those currently at middle and high schools.

Middle schools only last for three years. I have three children who are all two grades apart. With a reassignment change, my current 7th grader could potentially grandfather to do her 8th grade year at her current middle school. But, with the proposed plan, my current 5th-grade son would need to go to a different middle school for 6th grade.

Middle school and high school can be difficult years. It is hard on families to keep up with two different middle school calendars, two different middle school PTAs, two different sports schedules, and other extra curriculars. Giving the example of sports, it would be impossible to pick up from two different middle schools after sports practices. Additional stress would be added to activities like curriculum nights and dances. WCPSS wants to strengthen family involvement in schools, not divide it.

A middle school/high school grandfathering plan cannot be compared to a grandfathering plan for elementary students. Because the length of time at MS or HS is less, the impact of grandfathering siblings would be less than it would be at an ES.

Although there is no way to measure it, there is a bond that forms between siblings who share a school together. My kids love school -- they become a part of school and school becomes a part of them. They've been Gators together and have been counting on being Panthers together.

While I completely understand the need to balance enrollment, eliminating sibling grandfathering plans for middle/high school is not the right way to go about it. We made decisions about middle school based on the grandfathering plan that was in place at that time, which specifically guaranteed sibling grandfathering. The plan should be amended to include grandfathering siblings at the middle and high school levels.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Sadaf balighuddin 3 months ago

comment... I live in Wexford Community - Morrisville, on Elmhaven Way, my son is in 7 grade at Davis Drive, his proposed assignment is East Cary (Year around) which is 8.1 miles from my house so I don't know when he has to be at the bus stop I assume very early that means he has to go bed early which is not possible due to the school work load and kids have to stay up late to finish school work. I also think that its going to hurt him academically since he has to adjust himself from traditional to year around. Please consider my request not to change his school and let him finish at Davis Drive with Bus facilities.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Bryant 3 months ago

After studying the proposal for a week, I can see that the board is attempting to create more sensible districts. The problem is the time frame. I also understand that grandfathering delays the benefits the board hopes to accomplish. However, grandfathering rising 3-5 graders along with CURRENTLY enrolled siblings would give the new magnet/STEM programs time to begin turning the schools around. It would give the new schools time to establish their own climate of families who WANT to be there (new schools are not hard to fill), and finally it would give families several years to plan for the coming change. The additional planning time that grandfathering would provide for should be balanced by a reduction in granting transfer requests at the END of the three-year adjustment plan because of the additional time the Board is giving families to prepare. While I understand the desire to see the benefits of the new proposal immediately, I believe a balanced approach will actually accomplish the Board's goals more effectively by reducing transfers in the future.

15 Votes
Default_avatar

Jennifer raises a sensible point. In the case of WSES, it's taken 10 years to get over-crowded, why are we trying to drastically reduce the WSES population in a single year? With E35 opening right next to WSES in two years? A 4-6% year-over-year population reduction at WSES would be far more sustainable for families and staff.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Heather Harpst 2 months ago

I agree with this 100%. Please consider changing the grandfathering rules to allow stability, which is missing from this plan, and provide a balanced approach to accomplish goals.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

Yes with Jennifer and Scott. but I want the board to include ALL siblings. I will have a kindergardener in 2018. If our neighborhood is rezoned and he is not grandfathered into FVES like I would love my daughter to be, then the grandfathering rule wouldn't apply to me. My family started at FVES, we ALL would like to finish at FVES. My neighborhood has been in FVES' current base since it was built in 2005-2008. It makes sense for it to be zoned to LHES since LHES is closer but I ask, why wasn't it zoned to there from its inception? So families that started at a school should be allowed to stay at a school. Thank you.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Shelly Lammon 3 months ago

As a nearly life long resident of Wake County, a product of WCPSS, and a resident of Western Wake County, I have seen first hand the insane growth of this county and the implications to our schools. However, family stability is as important now (if not more so) than it was before this growth erupted. Therefore, I implore you to reconsider the rules at they relate to now allowing siblings to grandfather in. Like several who have already posted, I have a rising 5th grader at OCE, a school I petitioned for because we love the year option, as well as a rising 2nd grader. To move my 2nd grader to a different school while the older child is grandfathered at OCE will cause an unbearable disruption to these children and our family as whole. Younger siblings who are currently enrolled in the school should be grandfathered as well.

10 Votes
Default_avatar

Grandfathering rules under this Proposal are generous by comparison for Middle and HS students. I could not agree more with Shelly, WSES in particular needs full grandfathering w/ siblings. It took 10 years for WSES to grow to it's current size, it puts an unreasonable burden on families to try to fix overcrowding in a single year.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Shelley Gillman 3 months ago

My family is in a very similar position as @Jenny Gidley. She stated her case very clearly so I hope she won't mind if I reiterate her key points below:

Grandfathering only 5th graders in elementary school is not consistent with the pillars for student assignment:

Proximity: SCES is the closest elementary school to our home.

Stability: Moving children in the middle of their elementary years will be damaging to their emotional health and academics. Excluding grandfathering for rising 4th graders and siblings will be detrimental. Previous assignment plans have always allowed for rising 4th, 5th and siblings to receive grandfather status.

Student Achievement: SCES is excelling academically with existing class sizes to the school population overall. It has an A rating in the most recent data released. Grandfathering will allow my children to continue to have access to academic excellence through SCES.

Please revise the plan to allow current students in grades 4 & 5 plus younger siblings to grandfather and stay at the school through the completion of 5th grade.

5 Votes
Default_avatar
Erin Moye 2 months ago

Shelley states very clearly what the main issues are here.

I understand the board is in a tough position of making the numbers of students work at all of these schools given the new class size law, I am having a hard time understanding how moving all of these children around from capped school to capped school is going to help. As I understand it Sycamore is now a capped school along with Jeffrey's Grove. So you are moving kids out of JG, where they are comfortable into a new environment, just to move kids out of Sycamore where they are comfortable and into JG. Why are we shuffling all of these kids around from full school to full school. At Sycamore THIS year, the lower grade classes are already down in numbers to where they need to be so what are we gaining by moving all of these students out? Are we then going to un-cap the school since it will no longer be at capacity (once we move all of the kids out), and allow other kids to transfer in? There are a lot of people affected by this potential move, which would bring the school under these required class sizes potentially.

The other concerns for these children are of course as Shelley states above and the biggest one being Stability: Stability: Moving children in the middle of their elementary years will be damaging to their emotional health and academics. Excluding grandfathering for rising 4th graders and siblings will be detrimental.

It also is really unfeasible to expect for families to grandfather in a 4th or 5th grader and not younger siblings. Schools needs these families involved and on PTA, and fundraising, and volunteering in the classroom, etc. If families are forced to have kids at more than one elementary school you lose that cohesiveness. This is detrimental to the school, teachers, families, and students. Most of the families in this position are at schools now that are close (within 1-3 miles from home), and you are asking them to move a younger sibling 7-9 miles (20 minute drive) from home if you wont grandfather them in. This is not what would be best for anyone.

Another part of this is proximity to the school, allowing families to have their children in a school closer to their home.

When our nation is already behind so many others in academic achievement, we need to do all we can to give our students the best learning environment we can offer. This means giving them a stable learning environment, one where they are comfortable to grow and be successful. The unknown of if they will be moved due to assignment plan changes year over year is not a healthy environment. If they are accepted into a school as a transfer, and that is where they start their elementary career they should be allowed to complete their career there if the family so chooses (not saying transportation has to be provided).

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

I don't know if our nation is so far behind others when it comes to education. We have a great higher education system. But that is for a totally different conversation. :)

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

This, this right here except regarding WSES students going to FVES. "I understand the board is in a tough position of making the numbers of students work at all of these schools given the new class size law, I am having a hard time understanding how moving all of these children around from capped school to capped school is going to help. As I understand it Sycamore is now a capped school along with Jeffrey's Grove. So you are moving kids out of JG, where they are comfortable into a new environment, just to move kids out of Sycamore where they are comfortable and into JG. Why are we shuffling all of these kids around from full school to full school. At Sycamore THIS year, the lower grade classes are already down in numbers to where they need to be so what are we gaining by moving all of these students out? Are we then going to un-cap the school since it will no longer be at capacity (once we move all of the kids out), and allow other kids to transfer in? There are a lot of people affected by this potential move, which would bring the school under these required class sizes potentially."

But one thing, in the September 19 draft, slides 43-45 (I know 44 for sure) shows that most schools can accommodate the class size legislation for K-3. And I know FVES has started making it work there.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth Blue 3 months ago

In the interest of stability for students and families and in the interest of student achievement, I would like to propose that since the State mandated class-size reduction is specifically for grades K-3 that grade 4 also be included in the grandfathering clause - that grades 4-5 would be grandfathered. I would further propose that siblings of grandfathered students that are currently in school also be also allowed to stay at the same school to help families avoid multiple schools and in particular, multiple calendars if at all possible (this may vary from school to school depending up on how crowded the school is). Grandfathered students and their siblings should also be allowed to go ahead and do the shift to the new assignment if desired by the family. I would also like to see a period before the normal calendar request period where the families that are being affected by any of the proposed changes be allowed to make a calendar change. Being "defaulted" to the current calendar option ignores other factors.

For example, we live in Southeast Fuquay Varina and our current school is Willow Springs (a year round school), which was a calendar option when our oldest (now a 3rd grader) began Kindergarten. Under the current proposal, our children would now have Ballentine as the year round option and Fuquay Varina as the base school. Our first choice would be to have both children remain at Willow Springs, especially our oldest since he will have been at Willow Springs for 4 years. However, under the current rules, our default school if our children are re-assigned would be Ballentine Elementary. Since our Middle School is Fuquay Varina Middle, which is traditional calendar AND Fuquay Varina Elementary feeds into, changing to Fuquay Varina Elementary would make more sense for us in multiple ways. FVES is closer to our home than Ballentine, and significantly less difficult to get to from our home, given the horrible congestion and traffic involved in crossing US 401 in Fuquay and on Sunset Lake Road, and given that I commute via 55/Angier to Buies Creek. In addition, the default middle school for Ballentine base students is Holly Grove, meaning that our children would be attending elementary school with students that would most likely NOT go to the same middle school. Making the shift to Fuquay Varina Elementary would make much more sense for our children, who are Fuquay Middle-bound. I would love to see a method where if the proposal does go through as it is currently written, and both our children are assigned away from Willow Springs, that we would be allowed to indicate the desire of a calendar change instead of being "defaulted" to the current calendar.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Elizabeth's points above emphasize a need for WCPSS to explain the impacts of this Proposal on a school-by-school basis in far more detail than they have done. E35, an elementary school less then a mile from WSES and set to open in 2 years is not mentioned at all in the PPT Deck. Why?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Jennifer Bryant 2 months ago

I further propose that grandfathering 3-5 makes more sense. Third is a natural breaking point for "lower" and "upper" elementary. Grandfathering 3-5 grades approaches the necessary changes more rationally and allows a reasonable gradual adjustment to realign the districts. It makes sense.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Regarding Elizabeth's comment, would children that are moved to Ballentine feed to Holly Grove for Middle School automatically?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Danielle Canavan 3 months ago

My child, is a current student at Vandora Springs Elementary.  Christopher started at Vandora his kindergarten year and is currently a second grader. In the short time that he has been at Vandora Springs, he has grown tremendously and so has our love for the school, staff, and families of other students.  

Our affiliation with this school goes back almost 10 years as I have 2 older children that attended Vandora Springs before Christopher.  Over the last 10 years, I have dedicated my time every week by helping inside the classroom, on the PTA, or anywhere else that was needed. Needless to say, the staff at Vandora Springs Elementary is like an extended family for us. 

After hearong about the student proposal plan, I am very saddened and truly heartbroken that we could end up having to move to another school. Everything we have known is being taken away from us.  I could never express into words how I feel about the staff at Vandora Springs.

For reasons already stated, I am asking you to please allow exceptions that allow students to remain at their previous schools.  We have experienced so much change during our time in the WCPSS and can speak from experience that having to move to a completely different school, with new teachers, new friends, and a new environment, is an unnecessary hardship to place on these young children.  At this young age, stability and familiarity are so important to help them grow and mature.

I hope and pray that this proposal is modified and keeps my family with our current School District.  If it doesn't, I hope that grandfathering students would be considered as an alternative.

Please let my voice be heard during October’s final proposal. We do not support this proposal for school base assignment for VSE. If you would like to discuss further, please contact me via my contact information below.

Thank You,

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Debbie Lancaster 3 months ago

If students want to continue at their current school, they should be allowed to grandfather in to that school ... success for our students is built on relationships. I have an child at Rand Road Elementary and one at North Garner Middle school. We were grandfathered into Rand as it was one of our calendar options when we applied. Where we currently reside, it is neither our base nor our calendar option, yet it is the closest in proximity. Parents should have the choice to allow their child(ren) to continue where they thrive. As for the grandfathering rule not applying to siblings, please explain to me how this is beneficial to ANY parent???? As a school board, how does this make sense? Please explain how separating siblings is a good plan?

5 Votes
Default_avatar

I'm afraid that by restricting grandfathering, our School Board and the drafters of this Proposal are offering us "non-options." They understand families, in the vast majority of cases, will not split their children between schools. Stability = Full Grandfathering.

3 Votes

Bootstrap_10212678422053154
Shekhar Mishra 3 months ago

My neighborhood is Chessington. In this proposal, my neighborhood middle school changes from Davis Drive to East Cary Middle School.

Any changes in schooling is an extremely big decision for any parent - it impacts the career of their child, especially middle school is when these students learn and grow and lay the foundation for their future. Keeping this in mind, we moved 5 years back when my son was 4 to this neighborhood. School system is by far the biggest criteria for buying a house and I feel like we have been blind sided here. I dont really care about devaluation of my house or anything cause I am not planning to move or anything but what I do care about is my child's future. My son has most of his extra circular activities right after school between 5 and 7 PM. East Cary Middle is more than twice as far from my house as Davis Drive. What that means is he will now spend over an hour each way sitting on a bus and by the time he gets home he will have no energy to do anything - school homework, sports, playing with friends. We are taking all that away from our children. I am sure there must have been some good logic in making this change. I request the school system to let us know what exactly are we gaining from this change and is that worth moving so many students. Even if there are 1000 students impacted, it is over 2000 hrs each day that these students will waste sitting in bus. I hope the reasons are worth taking away this precious time from these students.

I would respectfully request the school authorities to reconsider this decision. Please keep our students close to our neighborhood - preferably David Dr. Thank You.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Shekhar's point seems completely valid, and her situation illustrates a disregard for WCPSS's stated goals of Stability, Proximity and Operational Efficiency. And I would not discount the unintended consequence of property devaluation by these changes. Your concerns are shared by many, Shekhar.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Suzie Adamsky 3 months ago

Please consider extending the grandfather option to siblings. It feels like we're being forced to choose the re-assigned school and forgo the existing grandfather option so we don't have kids attending two different schools. This seems to be a prevailing request on this forum and should be seriously considered by the Board.

7 Votes
Default_avatar

Could not agree more. Grandfathering w/o siblings is a hallow-option for many WCPSS families.

5 Votes

Default_avatar

Suzie, I agree completely. If I have to choose between having one child being grandfathered into the current school with an unwelcome calendar change with a younger sibling at a different elementary school possibly on a different calendar OR having them both together at a different elementary school with a calendar we do not want, is that really to be considered a valid option?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Linda Gonzalez 3 months ago

I moved a year ago to Carpenter Village (Cary) from New York. It took my daughter time to adjust. She is finally at a place where she loves going to school at Davis Drive Middle School and excelling. She came home crying when she found out from other students the possibility of having to go to another school. It is very disheartening that this can not only disturb her emotionally but that she will be 1/2 hour away from my home going to East Cary which is year round. I have a son who has special needs at Green Hope Elementary which is traditional year school. He needs to stay where he is because of his services. This will be very difficult for me to get my kids to and from school and be on opposite calender's. Another thing is I know that Alston Ridge Middle School will be opening in 2019. If that opens it looks like we will be in the same boat again and having to reassign schools. Instead of relocating students now I think it would be a better idea to wait and see how that goes. Doesn't make sense to move students now to just do it again in two years.

8 Votes
Default_avatar

Linda's story is heartbreaking. Schools opening in 2-3 years, Alston Ridge and E35 (closer to my families' neck of the woods), have not been taken into account in this Proposal. Why? WCPSS talks about planning seven years out, but I do not see evidence of that thinking in this Proposal.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Jenna Tarleton 3 months ago

I am on the PTA Board at Timber Drive Elementary and have a child there that will be in second grade next year. He loves his school. He loves his teachers. He loves being on the year-round calendar. When he heard about these potential changes and got very upset and was immediately very worried about not knowing anyone at his new school and being scared to move. My child does not struggle with social and emotional challenges and makes new friends easily and adapts easily to new situations. I work in early intervention and work everyday with children ages 3-18 that do not adapt nearly as easily. It is my job to go into schools and programs to help children with special behavioral, emotional, and developmental needs be included into typical programs. I see the struggles daily that these kids go through and the struggles their teachers go through. Changing a child from one school to another AND to a different schedule can absolutely be detrimental to many kids. I often assist families when a child is transitioning to a new school or a new classroom and I see the strain it puts on the child and the family. I think about children with developmental challenges such as autism and think about how important it is to have consistency and structure for that child to succeed and this policy goes completely against that. I understand there is over-crowding and new schools that need to be filled. I cannot understand how a school like TImber who had to lose teachers last year due to low enrollment would need to have kids move OUT of the school. I can see why new kids would be added to help with low enrollment. I cannot see how Rand Rd. being moved to a traditional calendar helps with overcrowding since they currently have 1 track and would still have the same number of students. I cannot see how we would have Banks Rd. as our calendar option that we would also have to apply for when there would only be 2 schools in the area on the calendar option and we are already in one of them. When there are only 2 calendar option schools close by why would we have to move to the other? They are the same distance from our house. It seems like there are hundreds of children being moved when only a few should be affected. I have many friends who are teachers in the school system that are planning to leave their school should these changes occur. Half of the Timber Drive PTA are scheduled to be redistricted which means the PTA which raises funds for the school would be completely dismantled. I have yet to speak with one person who is in agreement with either the calendar changes or the redistricting changes. Both of these issues need to be revisited and pushed back until an AGREEMENT between parents/teachers and the school board can be worked out. There are too many changes going on at one time for any of this to work out the way the school board would like for it too. Education is about what is best for the children, not what makes things easier.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Heather Nobles 3 months ago

We are currently enrolled at Rand Road, I will have a rising 5th grader and 2 2nd graders next year. We are "proposed" to be moved to Bryan Road Elementary and with this proposal you are saying my oldest can stay at her current school but not my other 2 kids? This is absolutely ridiculous! I see this as a way for us to be forced to go to a school we don't want to be at just to keep our families together. This is NOT OK!

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Anne Bacon 3 months ago

First of all, I'd like to thank WCPSS for having grandfather policies and being willing to take comments related to it. Like Heather Nobles (above), I will have a rising 5th grader, and this daughter of mine has overcome some challenges and really come into her own, with the help and support of the teachers, school counselor and our "Proud Principal," Rhonda Jones. My daughter participates in the school's STEAM Club and just became a Student Council member about a week ago. Like all kids at the school this year, she is being exposed to Stephen Covey leadership principles. So for me, even though I know Bryan Road will be a fine school with cool technology, having the assurance (under the proposed policy) that my older daughter can finish her elementary career at Rand Road means a lot. Thank you.

Like Heather Nobles, however, I will also have a rising 2nd grader. This younger daughter came into kindergarten with some language arts delays... with the high expectations and support of the teachers at Rand Road, she is now excelling in reading/writing and participating more in class. Ideally, she would be grandfathered for the remainder of her elementary school years, too.

If that is not possible, I would hope you would consider (and run the numbers) for a compromise situation in which she is grandfathered for the one year that my older daughter remains at the school. What this one year does for us as a family is allow us to put our energy and support behind one elementary school, allows us to consider the school for (one) after-school option/avoid multiple pickups, and most importantly, keep our daughters together.

If transferring is inevitable, please allow siblings to stay together for the grandfathering year for the rising 5th graders. (And if you can't promise that upfront, as you do for 5th graders, please take a look after the student assignments settle out and consider this on a school by school basis, as enrollment allows.) Given how hard it is for schools to manage their younger students classrooms given state-mandated caps, it may actually help Wake County to allow for a second round of adjustments (maybe allowing some younger students to remain, determined by lottery, if their schools end up still having space).

Thank you for your consideration.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Stephanie Buchan 3 months ago

I would ask that you would reconsider your proposed grandfathering rules in order to provide stability to students at WCPSS. I ask that you would grandfather all current students to the school. If this is impossible I ask that 4-5th grade students be allowed to grandfather into their current school with their siblings.

Our family has attended our base school of Willow Springs Elementary School for 3 years. One of my daughter's is currently a 3rd graders there and due to our move to Wake County 3 years ago from New Mexico, she has experienced a move of schools already in her school career. Like so many other families we were planning on providing stability of schools for her for the remainder of her elementary career. If she indeed does have to move schools because of redistricting and lack of grandfathering clauses that include rising 4th graders she will have to move schools again and will have had 3 different elementary schools in 5 years. I find this unstable for her. I believe it will have a negative affect on her academic and social progress. Please reconsider your grandfathering position.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Stephanie's story is heart-breaking. WSES families need full grandfathering, and the opening of E35 in two years taken into account as part of this Proposal.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Kristin Riha 2 months ago

I completely agree. The grandfathering policy as proposed absolutely does NOT uphold the stability pillar. Unless, that is, stability is being defined differently from how us parents see it for our kids.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

I request that third grade be added as a natural division between "upper" and "lower" elementary students. This would give WCPSS a manageable timeline to implement the changes yet also provide a bit more stability to already established upper elementary students.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback on this proposal. And I understand the situation Wake County is in given the tremendous growth and inability to build schools fast enough to keep up with that demand. My family joined the Wake County Public School System in 2011 when my daughter started Kindergarten. At that time the method implemented by Wake County for school selection was “choice” Based on feedback from other parents and our own research, we chose to send our daughter to Willow Springs Elementary, one of the 5 options available to us.

The year-round calendar is appealing to and has worked well for our family. We believe that the shorter breaks allow for less “learning loss” and, as a family with 2 working parents, it also allows us to spread daycare costs over the course of the year. We have felt the year-round calendar has been beneficial for our daughter and wish to continue with year-round school for our 6 year old son who is currently in first grade at Willow Springs.

With my daughter having spent all 6 years of her elementary school education at Willow Springs, we have developed relationships with teachers and other faculty, office staff, the principal and other students and their parents. My son has now had the same teachers my daughter had for both Kindergarten and First Grade. This has made the transition from daycare to school easier on him and us.

My daughter will be going off to Middle School next year and be moving to traditional calendar. However it is our strong desire to keep our son on the modified calendar. It is also our desire to keep him at the school we have grown to know and love for many reasons. With the proposed changes, my son is slated to be moved to Ballentine Elementary. In researching Ballentine when we first joined the school system and again now with the proposed changes, I see that Ballentine has significantly lower rankings across several areas when compared to Willow Springs. This does not seem to meet the standard for the pillar of Student Achievement.

Our other option is to request a transfer to Fuquay Varina Elementary. Fuquay Elementary also has lower rankings across the board when compared to Willow Springs. The traditional calendar provided at FVES would make for a consistent schedule with my daughter, however again, we wish to remain on the modified calendar. Unfortunately, I’m told that schools don’t make their track assignment decisions until “later in the spring” for the upcoming school year. I am also of the understanding that the period for transfer requests runs February 20 – March 6. This puts me in a position of not being able to make an informed decision about which school to send my son to (if we are indeed forced to move) because the transfer period will end before he would be assigned a track. With my daughter going on traditional calendar Track 4 is the optimal track so they have some consistency with schedules. Tracks 1 & 3 are other less viable but potential options. Track 2 would leave our children on completely different schedules and have a major negative impact on our family. Track assignments should be made prior to the end of the transfer request period so that parents can make informed decisions. The fact that this does not seem to have been considered (based on my call to the school system information line) as part of this proposal displays a clear element of poor planning.

My daughter and son are thriving at Willow Springs Elementary. That, to me, meets the pillar of student achievement. WESE also meets the pillars of Stability and Proximity for our family. I implore Wake County to maintain the pillar of Stability and the stay where you start thinking and grandfather children (with transportation) to Willow Springs. There has to be a better solution to the current growth issue than to juggle this number of school children just as they are getting comfortable and confident in their learning facility.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Melanie raises excellent points. Grandfathering w/o transportation does not make sense to me. WCPSS owns the buses and already pays the drivers, what is the marginal cost savings of eliminating one child from a bus route? WCPSS will be going for a new school bond in the coming years, why not ask tax payers for the transportation you need to service the population you have, instead of pushing transportation off on working families? The very same tax payers that will be paying for the upcoming school bond. Losing transportation in grandfathering makes little sense to me.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Susan Brady 3 months ago

I too believe that all currently enrolled students should be grandfathered in to their current schools. I have rising 5th and 2nd graders at Sycamore Creek, which is our year-round calendar option versus our base of York. While I am grateful that my 5th grader will have the opportunity to close out his elementary school years at SCES via the grandfathering process, I am very unhappy that my daughter may be required to attend a different school that is also on a different (ie, traditional) calendar. This will cause tremendous hardship for the family, as well as anxiety for my rising 2nd grader who has thrived in her current environment. I understand WCPSS has some difficult decisions to make, but splitting families across multiple schools and calendars is not good for anyone, at the micro or macro level. Please consider grandfathering in all currently enrolled students, or at least those with older siblings who will remain at the school.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

I share Susan's concern. Overcrowding took 10 years to get to this point, and it seems like WCPSS is trying to solve overcrowding in a single year. We need full grandfathering for Elementary School students. This is too much change for young families, and it's happening too fast.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Alison Sykes 3 months ago

Please allow younger siblings to grandfather in with the older siblings. I understand that the intent is likely to try and get both the older and younger siblings to leave the school as it is unfeasible for a parent to travel to two schools with the same start time. But the number of kids this likely affects is small and it would be much easier on both the kids and parents to allow the younger siblings grandfather in too.

7 Votes
Default_avatar

Could not agree more. Not grandfathering younger siblings is giving us a non-choice.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Testing

1 Vote

Default_avatar

My Neighborhood School is Davis Drive Middle ( for Ceder Bend Community), and the reason we bought home by paying a premium in this community or in this part of Morrisville/Cary is only because of the schools, my son goes to Davis Middle , We have volunteered in a number of different ways. Now, our middle younger child being a rising 3rd grader, will be reassigned. This policy ignores families and what is best for kids. since, there is no grandfathered option, now we are really concerned about my girl , who would be in Middle school in 2 yrs. The closest Middle school ( Traditional) for this part of Morrisville/Cary is Davis Middle and the next closest would be Mills Park Middle , but, we have been assigned to East Cary Middle , which is twice the distance and same is the case with 5-6 nearby communities, we are not sure how they worked out their math ( in terms of savings for WCPSS or Busing options) - Busing the students would cost double to the county and the amount of pressure and time on the students would be doubled . we really don't see any logic and cannot understand the rational behind this - entire drama of re-assignment. WE DON'T AGREE WITH THE ASSIGNMENT TO NEW SCHOOLS

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Like Ari, I'm keenly interested in the impact of this Proposal on property values.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Tameeka Scott 2 months ago

Prior to moving to Lakestone Village the school rating was our number one concern.. We were very pleased that our current school WSES is ranked as one of the top schools in NC. Having moved from a school base in wake county that had sub par ratings, the decrease on our property value was devastating. As this being the only school base for over 10 years, we thought we were shielded from this nightmare again. In the past WCPSS has been notorious for swapping kids around and this goes against the pillars for school assignment. That's why this is so important to our family. This is affecting our entire community. Other neighbors have moved here for the same reason, proximity, stability, and great school achievement. If we are impacted again on this property value situation we are prepared to reflect this during reelection

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Laura Costa 3 months ago

I am requesting that you extend the grandfathering rules to siblings for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year. With the proposed rule I will have one 7th grader on a traditional calendar (Davis Drive) and my rising 6th grader will be forced to a new school and on a year round calendar (East Cary). It just does not make sense to have 2 children one grade apart on different schedules and at different schools. If you are truly looking out for current students and giving them the option to grandfather at their current school, then you would also be thinking about siblings and grandfathering them too....otherwise it appears that your concession to grandfather is more of a gesture -vs- truly what is best for families. Please reconsider the proposal and allow younger siblings to attend school with their older siblings. I think what you are asking us to absorb is too much and not realistic in such a short time frame. Thank you.

7 Votes
Default_avatar

Laura is right, grandfathering without siblings is a gesture and not a real option. WCPSS allowed us to attend these schools 3-4 years ago with these same growth projections, and WCPSS needs to let us finish where we started.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Bryant 3 months ago

I appreciate the position of all the parents asking to grandfather siblings, but I have an issue with grandfathering ONLY siblings. We are currently at FVES, which is a capped school. Our school was capped due to all of the transfers allowed in for years from other base schools under "school choice" plans. How about instead of forcing students out of schools that have always been their "base", WCPSS simply withdraw the choice option and require students to return to their base schools? Transferring students all over the place has caused the overcrowding mess to begin with. Before you make the mess worse by redrawing districts and allowing some but not all grandfathering, why not enforce original districts first? I understand the sibling dilemma but not being able to grandfather at was has always been OUR school seems equally unfair and illogical.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

My suggestion would be that if any student is wanting to stay at the school they are currently enrolled they should be grandfathered and allowed to finish their years at that school, even if that means they must provide their own transportation. They could still have the option to move to their newly assigned school if they wish. New students moving in to the area should be required to go to their assigned school or attempt to transfer as has always been the case. As the children age out of the school, WCPSS would have accomplished its goal, instead of trying to do it all in one year. If I am understanding your concern correctly, that would be in your best interest, as well as the children and siblings who want to attend a school other than their base.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
anjali ghosh 2 months ago

This is such a simple solution that would save all parents a ton of aggravation. WCPSS please consider this solution

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10214458465230896
Kim Maxfield 3 months ago

I am asking that you reconsider the grandfathering rules. My two children attend WSES and I will have a fourth and second grader next year. My kids have invested time at this wonderful school, only to be told now that they will have to move to Lincoln Heights which is not remotely compatible to WSES. I feel these kids should be allowed to stay at the school they were originally assigned. We had our home built in this particular area 8 years ago because we were given that option. How can you take that away now? If you MUST change the grandfathering rules, please consider allowing students that have been there for a few years a chance to stay. My children are very successful where they are, don't take that away.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Kim's comment speaks directly to WCPSS's "Student Achievement" pillar. WSES is a high performing school, one that WCPSS allowed her to go too. WCPSS cannot now pull the rug out from under her and her family. WSES needs full grandfathering. Don't move our children out to make room for families that do not yet live in this area.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Fuquay Varina Elementary needs the same! Student achievement and stability pillars are being ignored for students at these 2 schools who are now being sent to Lincoln Heights. Please allow grandfathering for students who are already attending these schools as their base.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Emily Scott 3 months ago

When the time came for our first child to enter school as a Kindergarden student, we knew our base was a traditional & we preferred a magnet or a YR calendar. One of the questions we asked to student assignment was if we go thru all the effort to get a transfer to magnet or our calendar option, will we have to reapply each year to keep that assignment? We were by multiple WCPSS representatives, including but not limited to Student Assignment, that once we got that transfer, we would not have to reapply every year. So, we began the required process (which was also stressful, tedious & months long) of going to Magnet Info sessions that began in October, touring Magnets during the months of Nov thru Feb, magnet mini fair in Dec, magnet application in Jan, registering at our base in Jan, not getting accepted to the magnet we applied to in Feb, submitting our calendar option in the required window in Feb & finally getting notification of acceptance to our calendar option in March. Now with the proposed enrollment changes, my calendar option rising 2nd grader will not be 'allowed' to continue at the YR school we worked so hard to get him into & told he would be able to stay....and that we now love & are vested in already after 1 & 1/2 short years. And even worse he is not eligible under these proposed grandfather rules to apply to be grandfathered in. We followed all your rules & deadlines...and now the BOE, with these proposed enrollment changes, will fail our family. All children, regardless of grade, should be eligible to request a transfer that would allow them to “grandfather” at the school they currently attend.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

This is heart-breaking. WCPSS cannot change the rules of the game because they failed to plan adequately for growth. Transfers approved years ago and calendar options students should not be made to suffer. This is too much change, too quickly.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

I have a rising 4th grader, and a rising 2nd grader at WSES as part of our Calendar Option. Under this proposal, our Calendar Option will change to Ballentine. I understand Ballentine, it's parents and staff, to be a fine school, but we moved to this area to attend WSES. The letter sent home by our Principal cited explosive growth in the area as a catalyst for many of the upcoming changes. It does not make sense to me to move my family out of WSES, only to make room for families that do not yet live in this area. It also does not make sense to me to move families from South Lakes (switching base schools from FVES to WSES) into the very seats my children occupied the previous year. WSES families need full grandfathering w/ siblings and transportation, and we need full transparency into all of the changes proposed at WSES. Many changes at WSES outlined in the Presentation don't make sense, and others (like switching base schools for South Lakes) are not mentioned in the Proposal.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Sabrina Sine 3 months ago

With all due respect, this is wrong on all levels. These students have become acclimated, established, gained stability, trust in their respective schools. The staff have become familiar with each student, their family dynamics, their needs. To take this away from them without giving them an option to be Grandfathered is taking away their choice and comfort. Side note: During your work session on September 19- Grandfathering was a bullet point on a slide, discussed in passing, but not specifically addressed as to why you are proposing only allowing rising 5,6,7,9, 10,11, 12. Further, Grandfathering in students should not limit their transportation. These are established students; hence, being Grandfathered. You're treating them as though they are application students, which is simply not the case. If they're grandfathered then they should be allowed to receive transportation.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Nicole Barnes 3 months ago

Please allow all existing Sycamore Creek students to grandfather. The rules can be more restrictive for brand new families, but existing families should be offered stability.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth Johnson 3 months ago

I STRONGLY believe that the grandfathering rule needs to be reassessed when it comes to moving children. The children already have a SEAT within their current school. For my children, our base school is WSES - we are not there as an applicant family. For those children who are currently attending, they already have a space at that school. Why not let them stay? I handle enrollment of a daycare/preschool and while I know it is very different and on a much smaller scale we ALWAYS guarantee our actively enrolled families a spot/seat within the program. Deny my family transportation - that is the LEAST of my worries. If my children are forced to change schools it will completely change our family dynamics. My current job drops them off to school in the morning and I get off in time to pick them up. I could care less about having transportation. IF they are forced to change schools, I will have to drastically change my work hours as my job does not provide transportation to Ballentine or FVES. Restrict new families coming in - moving them to Ballentine or FVES until the ES35 gets built because in 2020 when that is completely my poor children are going to have to move AGAIN! I definitely do not think the children's best interest are being considered within these moves. I thought the county wanted children to be successful within their classrooms and offer as much stability as possible however doing such drastic moves changes my views completely on what Wake County thinks for any of its children and students.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Agreed - why are we suddenly changing the way things have been handled in the past - new families go where there is space and existing families stay.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Julie Le 2 months ago

I couldn't agree more. With this change, this will be my child's fourth school in 5 years. I desperately want to grandfather him but, apparently, won't even be given that option as he is currently a 6th grader. He has told us (his parents), teachers, and other students that he has 'trust issues' because he has to change schools so often. It is inexcusable to not offer grandfathering to anyone willing to provide their own transportation. As a parent, I do what I believe is best for my child. What I think it best is to keep him at the school he's currently attends. WCPSS is taking that choice away from me. and shouldn't be allowed to do so.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kristin Riha 3 months ago

Could you please explain why only 5th graders are grandfathered? It appears that the reasoning expressed in the plan is the new state legislation for class size. However, I don't understand this reasoning--4th graders are not a part of the new state legislation. So, why aren't 4th graders also grandfathered? Please reconsider your grandfathering policy and continue with the precedent of allowing all younger siblings to stay where they are.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

I further propose breaking it down to "upper" elementary and "lower" elementary as a natural division.... grandfather 3-5 grades.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Kimberly Stephenson 3 months ago

I oppose these changes to grandfathering. Current students should be allowed to stay in their school and their siblings the same. Do not break up families - this provides stress and emotional upheaval that will hurt their academics. Do not uproot current families for children that don't get live here.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Clint Edwards 3 months ago

This draft proposal is reassigning the vast majority of the elementary age kids in Fuquay. Fuquay doesn't even have a new school on the list. This proposal appears to be reassigning students for the sake of moving students around. What are the number of students that are projected to be reassigned as a result of this proposal? I understand the need to address growth, however reassigning so many of our young students shouldn't be the plan. We should grandfather students at existing schools even if we have a need to reassign neighborhoods to a different school. We have been at our current elementary school for nine consecutive years. I don't understand why my 1st grader can't finish at the school where she started, just like her siblings. I just don't understand why we play this same student reassignment game every year. It isn't good for students, teachers, schools, and school board member reelection.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Jill Yates 3 months ago

Please reconsider your Grandfathering policy so that siblings will be kept together. This policy splits families and is NOT in the best interests of the students.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Marianne Clarke 3 months ago

My comment is more of a question and it's probably already been answered so sorry if this is a repeat. Our base middle school is a traditional calendar school and last year we applied for our current 6th grader to attend the year round application school. He is currently in that school and will be a rising 7th grader, do we have to reapply next year for him to stay in the year round calendar school? Seems kind of ridiculous to go through that process again but thought I'd ask just in case so that I can put those January dates to apply in my calendar. Thanks!

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Marianne. Best to call 919-431-7333 with specific questions about your child's proposed assignment for next year. Our staff will be happy to answer all your questions!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Capps 3 months ago

There seems to be much confusion over who exactly is affected by these grandfathering rules. Is it county-wide or based on the list of schools found on page 44 of the Board presentation? The chart seems to apply that these rules only apply to "new transfers" in crowded schools and that current students can remain. Parents on this thread lead me to believe that all students in Wake County in 3rd grade and younger are at risk of being pulled from their transfer school. We are a transfer family attending Leesville Elementary (base is York). I'm assuming my rising 5th grader can stay at Leesville, but what about my rising 3rd grader? And will my rising kindergartener be able to transfer in with any sibling priority? I sincerely hope our county will not split up families - that puts a detrimental strain on students, families, and schools. Thank you for answering in a clear and concise way as we are receiving various and contradictory information, even over the phone.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

The proposed grandfathering rules would apply to the entire district. http://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654 Please call 919-431-7333 with specific questions about your child's assignment.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

The policy is a district wide policy. It applies to specific schools only in the sense that grandfathering is tied to assignment changes. The only proposed change to current transfer students that I am aware of applies to transfer students at Jeffreys Grove. However, the best bet fo you and anyone with specific questions about your child's assignment still is to call the student assignment office.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Capps 2 months ago

Matt, I just spoke with my School Board member who assured me that these rules ONLY applied to specific schools. However, maybe the distinction is transfer students vs grandfathered students. Current transfer students whose status isn't changing will not be sent back to their base school, correct?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Christine ONeil 2 months ago

Two of my children currently attend Timber Drive Elementary and according to the new school assignments we will be moved to Banks Rd Elementary next year. My oldest will be in 5th grade next year but my youngest will only be in 3rd grade. With the new grandfathering rules that exclude siblings, it means we will have to juggle two elementary schools most likely having the same bell schedule and in completely opposite directions. How as a parent am I supposed to pick one up in carpool and race to get home to meet my youngest child's bus? Not to mentioin that my girls feel better knowing their sibling is in the building. My daughters love their school and will not understand why, at this stage, they will not be together. Grandfather rules that do not take into consideration siblings does not provide stability for families, increases stress on parents and shows that the BOE is not considering the hardships of families in this discussion. I respectfully ask the new rules be modified to include siblings and to allow those siblings to stay on at their school as transfer students until the completioin of their time in elementary school.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Melanie Rudd 2 months ago

These types of scenarios don't seem to leave us with any options - you either choose to move your rising 5th grader or separate your children and figure out carpool options - there have got to be some compromises here from the school system!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Amy Bailey 2 months ago

I will have a rising 5th grader at Ballentine Elementary and a rising 2nd grader next year. What this means for our family is TWO DIFFERENT ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS - not yelling, just emphasizing that we will have one child who will remain at the school where she started and another who will be forced to Banks Road. Please, Please, Please, PLEASE RECONSIDER GRANDFATHERING SIBLINGS - It makes zero sense to separate them and cause hardship on families to make it to both schools at the SAME TIME each day because they are on the SAME BELL SCHEDULE. Parents are speaking out AGAINST the current Grandfathering Proposal because it makes ZERO sense. KEEP FAMILIES TOGETHER instead of dividing them.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

I'm glad to see your comment Amy - we are being proposed to move TO Ballentine and I haven't seen much feedback from parents being moved OUT yet. If you know other parents in the situation, please have them provide feedback as well. And know that there are parents like me at Willow Springs that want to maintain our spot there and not take the spots at Ballentine. This seems like a shuffle more than a reduction in students to ease overcrowding.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

We are being moved out of WSES to FVES (or Ballentine as a calender option) while kids are being moved out of FVES to move to LHES and those LHES kids are being moved to HAES and now I hear kids are being moved FROM Ballentine as well...with all due respect none of this makes any sense. None of us want to leave our current school. I don't understand taking from one capped school to fill another capped school and shuffling these same kids around to different schools like a deck of cards. Please allow these kids to stay where they started under the past rules of grandfathering them in IF they wish to keep their spot at their current school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Thank you for allowing feedback from the community! I am a life-long resident of Wake County, and attended WCPSS for K-12, as did my husband. Our 2 children attend Carver and will be rising 5th and 3rd graders next year.

Please reconsider allowing ALL children to finish their years at the school they are currently at, whether by base assignment or transfer. New incoming families should attend their newly assigned base school or apply for a transfer which may or may not be granted. With this current grandfathering proposal, our options would be:

1. Keeping our extremely anxious child who is already requiring weekly counseling at the only school she's ever known for 5th grade (which would obviously be in her best interest) and having her younger sibling at a different school with likely a different calendar (which is obviously NOT in her best interest to be moved to a different school from where she has attended for 3 years and will know no one, without her sibling, and is completely starting over, NOR is it in the best interest of the older sibling from an anxiety standpoint to separate them while both are still in elementary school NOR is this in the best interest of parental sanity to have to get them to and from different schools vs
  2. Moving both of them to a new school together, with an unwelcome calendar change, both of them trying to adjust to going from the wonderful modified schedule to the traditional calendar with long periods without the breaks that students, teachers, and parents so badly need, which is obviously not in the best interest of either child nor parental sanity.

Please consider allowing children to grandfather in and remain at their current schools, giving preference to younger siblings, even if that means they will have to provide their own transportation if they are transfers. It seems fair to me that if one gets assigned to a different school, but chooses to stay, then they would need to provide their own transportation, This solution is the least disruptive to the largest number of children and most conducive to learning for all involved. Although it would take a bit longer that one year, you would still accomplish your goals for getting students assigned where you want them.

Thank you for carefully considering each of the many comments opposing these changes.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Chanda Maxwell 2 months ago

Thank you for reading and considering the parent input for their school system. I ask that you please reconsider the proposed rule that would NOT allow siblings to go to the same school as their older sibling would currently be attending. For example: 12th grade student at 1 high school and 9th grade student not able to grandfather in to the same high school as the CURRENT 12th grade student attends. This in no way makes sense to split families up that are currently attending a school. Not to mention the burden it puts on families to support 2 separate PTA'S, Booster Clubs, Teams, Teachers. The family is forced to either support 2 separate high schools for 1 family OR pull their senior out of high school to keep the family unit together. Let's come up with a better plan for grandfathering in siblings please.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

I cannot imagine being in that position Chanda - there have to be better options for grandfathering.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jennifer Stock 2 months ago

Thank you for allowing us to voice our concerns and share feedback regarding the proposed grandfather changes. I personally think the proposed changes need to be reexamined in order to provide stability to students and families. I ask that you please consider allowing children to grandfather in and remain at their currently enrolled schools. For elementary students, at the very least let’s include rising 4th and 5th graders (along with all currently enrolled siblings) into the proposal. Not allowing students to remain at their current schools (and sending siblings to different schools) does not create the stability that WCPSS says they strive for. Moving these kids causes disruption and emotional stress to the children and families. My 8 year old daughter (grade 3) came home from school yesterday and was distraught over the letter she found in her school folder. She shouldn’t have to stress about changing schools and instead focus on continued learning.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

This is definitely heartbreaking for the children, however it is no less heartbreaking for those not in 4th & 5th grade or have siblings at the schools. Grandfathering should apply to children currently in the school to allow for stability and as you indicate Jennifer focus on continued learning.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Amen Melanie and Board please take note!!!! All of the messages on this board regarding sibling grandfathering talk about splitting families and ignore the fact that you have the option to move all of your kids to the new school if being together is most important. I agree that it's a travesty, but the answer isn't allowing only siblings to grandfather. How is that fair to my son who doesn't have siblings affected but he currently attends his BASE school and has never asked for anything? Sorry WCPSS, but grandfathering only siblings alienates a bunch of us with no sibling but who also deserve to "stay where we start".

1 Vote

Bootstrap_10154692304396114
Amanda Howell 2 months ago

We have lived at the exact same address since my children started school. If the current plan is approved this will be the 3rd school my daughter will have attended due to changing calendar options for Baileywick Elementary. I chose year round because I believe in having children learn throughout the year, without the long break over the summer. I still fully believe in this but the first time they changed us after her kindergarten year it took almost her entire 1st grade year to make new friends. Even her teacher talked about how she mostly played by herself and was concerned. This had not been a problem in Kindergarten and was completely a product of being forced to change schools. She is finally settled and happy and has many friends (after 2 years) and now they are proposing switching her again? This is completely unacceptable. It is detrimental to her mental health and to her school work and I'm sure it is detrimental to other students as well.

As others have said:

Proximity: SCES is the closest elementary school to our home.

Stability: Moving children in the middle of their elementary years will be damaging to their emotional health and academics. (My daughter is case in point) Excluding grandfathering for current students and siblings will be detrimental. Previous assignment plans have always allowed for rising 4th and 5th graders and siblings to receive grandfather status.

Student Achievement: SCES is excelling academically with existing class sizes to the school population overall. It has an A rating in the most recent data released. Grandfathering will allow my children to continue to have access to academic excellence through SCES.

Please revise the plan to allow current students in grades 4 & 5 plus younger siblings to grandfather and stay at the school through the completion of 5th grade so that families can stay together and student performance is maintained.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Nicole Barnes 2 months ago

To all parents - I got some feedback from the NC House representative for my district today regarding the K-3 class size legislation that I would like to share. Bottom line is that the NC General Assembly is meeting for a special session, starting tomorrow (Oct 4), and it would be our last chance until May 2018 to have this issue reexamined. The General Assembly has the power to provide more flexibility to schools in how they comply with the new requirements. More flexibility could help significantly with the enrollment changes many of us are experiencing and the newer, more stringent grandfathering proposal. I’m not certain it could help with the changes being driven by the opening of new schools, but it can definitely help with the application school changes and grandfathering. I believe Wake County, with its continued growth and resulting difficulties each year with student assignment in general, should have some leeway in this regard. There are probably many other parts of the state that don’t experience the same level of growth, and perhaps the smaller class sizes will be the benefit that they likely intend it to be. But here in Wake County, it is only adding fuel to the fire, in my opinion.

I contacted several members of the legislature. I have only heard back from one person, Joe John, who represents my district in NW Raleigh. His direct feedback:

“I am very frustrated with our General Assembly leadership’s failure to address this issue properly and help local school districts comply with the unfunded mandate. Back in June, I supported a budget amendment which would have eased the burden on schools that this requirement creates. Unfortunately, the Speaker did not let the amendment come to the floor for a vote, so the budget passed without any more funding. Time is of the essence. After this week, it is unlikely we will be in session again until next May, which will probably be too late for WCPSS to change student assignments and budgeting. The Speaker and Senate President Pro Tem have the ability to do something about this starting tomorrow, and anything we in the minority party attempt will not likely have their blessing. If you know of other parents in similar situations, please have them reach out not only to their own legislators but to Speaker Moore and Senate President Pro Tem Berger. They decide what is eligible to be heard and what happens with each bill.”

Please contact these folks!

tim.moore@ncleg.net (NC Speaker of the House) phil.berger@ncleg.net (NC Senate President Pro Tem) joe.john@ncleg.net (District 40 House) john.alexander@ncleg.net (NC Senate for my district)

You can find your own district representatives here: http://www.ncleg.net/representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tiffany Keith 2 months ago

WCPSS needs to reevaluate this grandfathering plan. As others have already stated, this would be very disruptive to both of our children and our family. The options we have now are:

1. Keep our rising 5th grader at the school she's accustomed to on a year round calendar, while moving her younger sibling to the new school on a traditional school calendar. This would make childcare, vacations, etc. impossible.
  2. Move both children to the new school and a traditional calendar. This wouldn't be a problem , except the middle school we're zoned for is year-round, so the very next year we'd be in the same boat with different calendars, continuing all the way through high school, when it goes back to traditional.
  3. Move both children to a school that they're not zoned for, but is farther from our house and has no school transportation.

There seems to be no thought or consideration put into what families with multiple children will have to deal with in our community. It's my hope that WCPSS will reconsider what they're proposing to make more of a gradual change in school assignments so that families in Wake County don't face these impossibly difficult choices.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Katie Biasi 2 months ago

I have read several comments and don't know much more what to say. Most have said everything and say it very well. I just want to also let the Board know that they need to reconsider this grandfathering proposal and let all students "stay where they start" and also to include siblings who would be entering kindergarteners. If siblings are not included in the grandfathering rule, then as stated above, you are not really giving families an option to grandfather. You are still forcing them to move to another school. And I watched your video regarding the four pillars when it comes to student reassignment and it mentioned the grandfathering rules that have been in place forever. Why do you feel the need to change it now (for this year).

Also, as mentioned in another comment, students are being reassigned this year but what happens in a few years when more schools open? The question was asked and I ask it again, how many schools are you asking our children to attend? I grew up in a town (back in the 80s) about the size of Fuquay-Varina and we had stability. Three elementary schools, and one middle, and one high school. We were not shuffled around like we were just a number. We were people and we had stability and respect in that again, we weren't just shuffled around to school to school to just fill a seat.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Well said Katie - let's stick with "stay where they start" for stability!

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Yes... stay where they start for all WCPSS kids. Not just siblings.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

My youngest child will be in the second grade next school year and I would just like her to finish at her base school which is WSE. The board said themselves yesterday that relationships at school matter. I agree one hundred percent. We have been at this school for nine years (3 kids) and we are truly vested at this school--physically, emotionally and financially. I don't want to uproot my daughter to change schools and possibly to a traditional calendar. Although she is just in first grade-she is comfortable with the staff and administration as her older sisters went through WSE and she got to know many of them before even starting kindergarten. It was an easy transition for her to start school--because she already knew many of the staff and could find her way around the school with ease. I have always volunteered in my kids' classrooms and I have gotten to know many of the students. You see these kids on a weekly basis and you make a connection with them. I myself don't want to have to start all over at a new school with new staff and new students at this stage though no choice of our own. And adding to the disruption possibly a new calendar as we love the YR schedule. We just want to finish up at "our" elementary school--which is an amazing school and our other options frankly don't measure up when it comes to rankings and grades. Another valid concern I have is if she does has to move next year what happens when E35 opens? I fear she will have to move again. Two school changes just through elementary school alone is two too many--and we aren't making the choice to move. The growth has been happening for years and I don't think any of us expect it to be fixed immediately. But to disrupt this many kids from their "home" schools and where they are thriving and comfortable isn't good for these young students or their families. Changing schools comes with many different hardships for families. I will be contacting my state representatives as well on this matter of reducing classroom size but if there is any compromise in this whole thing we ask that that you consider the all the avenues that these kids will be able to stay at their current schools IF they wish to do so. Thank you for you time!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Emily Scott 2 months ago

Showcasing the video at the 10/3 Board meeting about the importance of our children feeling listened to & safe at their schools speaks to the exact reason that the proposed new grandfathering rules are just wrong. ALL students, regardless of grade, should be eligible to request a transfer that would allow them to “grandfather” at their current assignment.

7 Votes
Default_avatar

Yes Emily. ALL students should feel secure and listened to. Not just 5th graders and not just siblings. All.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Emily Scott 2 months ago

Jennifer....this new grandfathering proposal states "Siblings of eligible grandfather students are NOT eligible to grandfather."

So not even siblings of eligible grandfather students. That's horrible.

Students who ARE eligible :: - Elementary school students who experience an assignment change as a result of this enrollment proposal, and are rising into grade 5. - Middle & High students who experience an assignment change from an existing school to an existing school AND are current students in 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 grades - Middle & High students who experience an assignment change from an existing school to a new school AND are rising into grades 8, 11 and 12.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Emily DeJesus 2 months ago

Please consider extending the grandfathering rules for all elementary age students attending a school and younger siblings. In order to provide stability for students and their families, students should be allowed to stay where they start. This change will create a significant hardship on our family for childcare. My children's grandparents provide childcare coverage for all of the grandchildren in our extended during times away from school and before and after school care. My family and my sister-in-law's family purchased homes in the neighborhoods assigned to Willow Springs Elementary School specifically so that we could both attend Willow Springs Elementary and streamline the childcare process for grandparents. Now my niece has been re-assigned to a traditional calendar school, this will exponentially increase the amount time/days grandparents will have to provide childcare.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Heather Cargile 2 months ago

comment...The Willow Springs Elementary School PTA Board of Directors appreciates the opportunity to comment on the first draft of the WCPSS 2018-19 School Enrollment Proposal. There are at least 200 students affected by this proposal at our school which is a significant portion of our student body. We ask that you strongly consider both of our recommendations as well as all the information provided in our Board Position Statement, adopted October 2, 2017.

Willow Springs Elementary School PTA Board of Directors Position Statement WCPSS 2018-19 Enrollment Proposal The Willow Springs Elementary School PTA Board of Directors believes in high-quality education for all students and understands that change is inevitable, and needed, as our county grows and a new mandate requires smaller class sizes in grades K-3. Although school assignment changes are a necessary component of new school openings in our area, we would prefer and request that all children enrolled at Willow Springs Elementary School, and their siblings (including rising Kindergarteners), be allowed to grandfather to remain at our school. We understand that district transportation would not be provided for these students. Our PTA and school are a close-knit community, with a history of superior compliance and support for our staff, school board, and especially our students. In light of necessary reassignment strategies that will come in the very near future as a result of a new elementary school planned for development less than a mile from Willow Springs Elementary School (E35), we request that a moratorium be placed on school reassignment for our students – possibly through allowing all enrolled to grandfather or through a temporary cap on enrollment and transfers at our school. Overall, transferring students within elementary school grades creates hardship for families and social and academic instability for children. Beyond our preferred broad-reaching request, at minimum based on the current language within the 2018-19 policy proposal, the PTA Board of Directors requests that the School Board prioritize siblings of the eligible rising 5 th graders. These students are currently enrolled in the elementary school, or are rising Kindergartners in 2018-19 school year to be enrolled. We request that these specific students be eligible to grandfather . We feel this request is imperative based on current proposed language as grandfathering rising 5 th graders and not their siblings creates hardships for families between elementary school communities in terms of their time, energy and resources and complicates daily transport of their children to multiple schools. We believe that the number of grandfathered siblings would be minimal at Willow Springs Elementary School and we understand that this specific recommendation would mean that grandfathered students would not be eligible for district transportation. In summary, the Willow Springs Elementary School PTA Board of Directors recommends that: ● All children enrolled at Willow Springs Elementary School and any currently enrolled siblings (including the 2018-19 rising Kindergarten students) be allowed to grandfather to remain at our school and a temporary cap be placed on our school with regard to enrollment and transfers. We understand this request / recommendation comes without provided district transportation. ● At minimum , the PTA Board of Directors requests that the School Board prioritize siblings of the eligible rising 5 th graders whom are currently enrolled in the elementary school, or are rising Kindergartners in 2018-19 school year to be enrolled, be eligible to grandfather as described in the current proposal language . Adopted by the Willow Springs Elementary School PTA Board of Directors October 2, 2017

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Thank you Heather for presenting the WSES PTA's position on this proposal.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Yes thank you Heather. From another WSES parent I one hundred percent agree. We are a very close knit school and having to start all over at reassigned base school--which is traditional while we are currently and have been on a YR schedule nine years. We have 4 more years of elementary school to go with my youngest and we would just love to stay where we started.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

My children attend Willow Springs and I wholeheartedly agree!!!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

This is just the PTA Board's position. I will post the PTA General Membership position next week once it is finalized.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jennifer Faison 2 months ago

Please allow grandfathering for the students at Garner Magnet High School!! My son will be a 12th grader next year and does not have an option to attend the school that my daughter(10th grade) is being assigned to because they will only have 9th and 10th grade!! I can not believe that Wake County school board in any way would think that separating siblings would be a good idea. In all of the other grandfathering situations you give the option of the older sibling going where the younger sibling is being assigned, but that is not an option for us. It is ABSURD that we would be forced to support 2 different high schools in one family! I never would imagine having to support PTA's, 2 Parking passes(many siblings share a car-how does that work if you are at 2 different high schools?), 2 sports passes-$175-both of my kids play sports and could play against each other(CRAZY), 2 Open houses, 2 different football games on Friday night, 2 plays, 2 chorus concerts, etc. Please reconsider this especially for Garner where it is not an option for the 11th and 12th graders to go with the reassigned younger siblings!! Thank you!

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Emily Scott 2 months ago

Sibling should be able to stay together at any age. I hope this proposal is not approved....you should not have 2 children at 2 different high schools....for ALL the reasons you listed & more!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
CL Coleman 2 months ago

Please reconsider this grandfathering methodology. We have been reassigned to Bryan Rd which will be on a traditional calendar. I am extremely disheartened to learn that despite our current school, Rand Road, remaining year round for the 18-19 school year, it has not been added back to our application school year round options. Instead, we are being sent across town to a new year round school, Banks elementary. This makes no sense for operating efficiency. I have a rising 4th and a rising 1st grader at Rand Road that need stability and proximity. Please take another look at the reassignments to make sure that children are being sent where it makes the most sense. We live in Upchurch Place off Jordan Rd. Rand Road is under enrolled. It makes no sense why current students would be moved out and sent to a school further away. Perhaps it makes sense for future students to make that move. Thanks for taking another look at the reassignments and grandfathering. We need to make sure there are limited current students affected.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Connie Carpenter 2 months ago

Please reconsider and grant other options for families with siblings!!!

I am saddened to hear of the proposed grandfathering changes. I remember touring Elementary schools 5 years ago. I applied for a magnet school for my daughter and was denied. I applied for a transfer into Root – a STEM school and was ecstatic to get the acceptance letter. It was so stressful as if I was applying to college! I am grateful to hear that my daughter will get to complete her 5th grade year at Root if I choose to elect to apply for the grandfathering process for her. But where does that leave my son?

I decided to enroll my son into kindergarten last year despite the fact that he would be the youngest in his grade (missing the cut off by 2 weeks). His pre-school teacher encouraged me saying that he was academically ready. Several friends have held their children back, especially boys, because they may not be emotionally ready. However, I knew that having an older sister at school would provide the emotional support and comfort he needed to be successful. He was out sick for 3 days this week and was nervous to go back to school today. But having his big sister walk into school with him made all the difference in the world. My decision not to hold him back was validated when his Kindergarten teacher (same teacher my daughter had) told me at the end of the year that he was reading at mid-1st grade level in June. I’m so fearful that if he is moved to a brand new school next year, he may regress emotionally or worse, academically and have to repeat a grade!

Root Elementary is such a wonderful school and I’ve grown close to the other parents as well as teachers. Selfishly, I will be devastated to lose the family that I have gained if my son does not get to continue 2nd – 5th grade at Root Elementary. In addition, like other parents have said, how do I explain to my 2nd grader that his 5th grade sister gets to stay but he has to go to a new school and make new friends, and potentially have different start and end times? The thought of my kids having 2 different school hours sends me into a panic mode as I work full time – not ready for this change until middle school! I moved to a new school in 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade and 9th grade as a child and so envied those kids that went to school with the same group since Kindergarten. I’m all for change and growth as I think it makes us stronger, but I don’t feel this is the best solution. I do hope that you will reconsider this proposed change and allow other families with siblings another option.

Thank you advance for your consideration.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Silvia Macke 2 months ago

I would like for the school board to reconsider the change in the grandfather practices. We live in Carpenter Village and our base school for Middle School has changed from DDMS to ECMS. We have one daughter who is already attending DDMS and a son currently at GHES but in a couple of years he will be going to Middle school. I understand that the reassignment is needed in an area with such growth but also we need to look at the stability of the kids and parents. Moving a Middle School girl from the school she loves and where she has a lot of friends will not be the right choice for us so we will grandfather her in her current school . The issue is that her brother will not have the same opportunity and we will have to send him across town to a different school and calendar. Grandfather rules need to optimize the situation for families who are reassigned, not worsen them. Do consider keeping grandfather - sibling eligibility so that families may have as reasonable a situation as they can when reassigned.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

WCPSS Board... respectfully, the proposed grandfathering rule does not actually divide families as suggested so many times on this site. Families can still make an active choice to keep siblings together in newly assigned schools. Therefore, grandfathering ONLY siblings is not an option, as it unfairly prioritizes one group of students over those with no siblings and delays the timely measurable progress the Board is trying to achieve by a possible 6 years. Grandfathering is absolutely necessary to strike a balance between the Board's goal of seeing tangible progress asap and students' need for stability. However, a more reasonable approach would be honoring a natural elementary division and grandfathering "upper" elementary students (grades 3-5). This method establishes a reasonable time frame for progress balanced with the original "stay where you start" philosophy that the Board established as a result of previous assignment struggles. It also applies the grandfathering option in an objectively fair and consistent manor. Expanding the grandfathering policy with no transportation to "upper elementary" (already firmly established) students just makes logical sense.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Kyle Zachary 2 months ago

I don't feel your proposal and "pillars" are aligned with each other. You cannot offer stability as a pillar to your proposal and then not allow grandfathering for all current students and siblings to their current school. Grandfathering is a MUST for all students. I attended the meeting this past Friday, 10/6, and was shocked to learn that any transfer students in a school are completely unaffected by this reassignment proposal or any reassignment. You've allowed schools to be filled with students from other parts of the county and as such not allowed for the growth in the base school area. Now you're pushing out those in the base school area to other schools. My comments aren't against transfer students but more of a push for grandfathering all current students. If transfer students are allowed to stay then we should all have that option. Lastly, my daughter just started kindergarten at WSES. I want her to stay where she is. She is just learning how school works, making friends, and building a relationship with staff/teachers. Moving her would be the opposite of stability. I'm also concerned that in three years we'll be in the same situation again when E35 opens. From the meeting it didn't seem promising this wouldn't happen.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

I agree with Kyle. SHOCKED is the word for what many of us felt when we were told that current transfers will stay but base students will not. There is no justification for such a plan. Most of us chose our base when we bought our homes and we never asked for anything different!

0 Votes
Default_avatar

I agree! Students at their base schools should be allowed grandfathering. To allow transfer students to stay and force base students to move is ridiculous.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10214958030771150
Nate Mayer 2 months ago

While most everyone would love for all students to be grandfathered I think at the very least students who are currently based at their school should be allowed to attend their current school. With Willow Springs ES currently capped, it might be easier to grandfather those children in without transportation.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Monica Lainez 2 months ago

My comment is in reference to the Bryan Rd Elementary School, My little girl will be in third grade next year and changing her out of Bryan Rd would be extremely disruptive to our family. My daughter is doing very well and we love our Vandora Springs/Bryan Rd family and to be uprooted in such a way without allowing a third grader to be grandfathered in is disgraceful. I understand the need for reassignment but I beg of you that you allow the current students to be grandfathered in. I cannot image how we as a family would adjust to such a drastic change at such a vulnerable age. We recently moved and it was our priority that we stay in Garner because I did not want to move my kids from their school and now you are presenting this change without any consideration to the families affected by not allowing current students to be grandfathered in. This reassignment is already going to be so disruptive to so many families in Garner and not allowing the students who have been attending the schools to be grandfathered in is cruel.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Angela Sims 2 months ago

Under the proposed assignment plan, all Seniors and Juniors at Garner Magnet High School will be attending Garner High School with no provisions for Sophomore and Freshmen siblings to grandfather and attend the same high school as their older sibling. It is clearly not in the best interest for families in Garner to have high school students at two different high schools. Please revise the grandfathering policy for Garner Magnet and South Garner students so that siblings will be kept together.

1 Vote

Bootstrap_1968230016795902
Erin Laskowich 2 months ago

At Lincoln Heights Elementary there are many parents whose students are currently enrolled and have become ingrained in the LHES school community. We request that those families, whose base school may change, be given priority as it relates to magnet applications if they wish to remain at LHES. These are the very families that magnet status intends to attract; those families who are aware and involved in their student’s education, and who make a concerted effort to influence their child’s future by informed school choice. Academic success comes when there is a unification of family, school and community support. By disallowing consideration of those students and families who WANT to remain at LHES, you are in effect undermining the success of our school.

By not providing transportation to those students who meet the eligibility criteria for “grandfathering” you are excluding those families without the means in which to physically transport their students, creating undue hardship. LHES has a disproportionate number of families struggling with socio-economic disparity and transportation is a significant issue. Again, these students should be granted priority status as it relates to magnet applications to LHES to ensure transportation needs are provided.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

I also, like many others, propose grandfather for at least students in grades 3-5 INCLUDING siblings. The current plan seems to ignore stability pillar for MANY students and families (FVES and WSES) and in some cases it also seems to ignore the student achievement pillar. Students currently at their base school should be able to stay before transfer students are allowed to stay where they are- especially at a capped school. "STAY WHERE YOU START" was once viewed as important for young students by the school board.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Julie Hess 2 months ago

My child currently attends SCES as a third grader and while we are not currently impacted by the proposed changes to the student assignment plan, I am very concerned with the future state of this school and possible changes to come. My nephews as well as many close friends of my child are impacted by this change (many of which are rising 4th graders with younger siblings).

The grandfathering restriction needs to be reconsidered for SCES and many other impacted schools. Please restore the grandfathering rule to all previous years reassignment plans which allowed 4th and 5th graders to grandfather along with younger siblings at the school.

We love SCES and have been attending since Kindergarten. My younger child (3) will also attend once he starts Kindergarten but I am fearful of future proposed changes with SCES being capped.

My child - his friends, and our family members who attend SCES are thriving - please keep the best interest of the child in mind and reconsider / revise the proposal. The very last thing any of us wants is to disrupt our children's environment, friend relationships, stability, and eagerness to learn and grow.

Moving children in the middle of their elementary years can be damaging to their emotional health and academics. Excluding grandfathering for rising 4th graders and younger siblings will be detrimental. Previous assignment plans have always allowed for rising 4th, 5th and siblings to receive grandfather status.

Student Achievement - SCES is excelling academically with existing class sizes to the school population overall. It has an A rating in the most recent data released. Grandfathering will allow impacted children to continue to have access to academic excellence through SCES.

Please revise the plan to allow current students attending SCES plus younger siblings to grandfather and stay at the school through the completion of 5th grade. "Stay Where You Start" is so important for these children - please do not disrupt their environment.

Thank you to the planning department and board members for your time and consideration of this request.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Andrew Teears 2 months ago

I wholeheartedly agree with several of the above positions in reference to grandfathering. I would ultimately like to see all current students grandfathered; at the very minimum, students in grades 3-5 should be grandfathered at their current school (after all, they would have completed at least half of their elementary years at their respective school)! I also feel like this proposal is very supportive of grandfathering for middle/high school students, and almost completely ignores the most emotionally fragile, and vulnerable age group (elementary school-aged children). My daughter attends Willow Springs Elementary as her BASE school and has been thriving at her school. With this proposal, she would have a new base (FVES). FVES, per all of my conversations, appears to be a wonderful school, as does Ballentine, but neither is the BEST choice for my daughter who wants only to stay where she started. Please consider widening the grades that are allowed to be grandfathered, if not full grandfathering. I am fine providing my own transportation for my child.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Elizabeth Johnson 2 months ago

Please continue to think about the process of FULL grandfathering with students. My daughter's will be moved from one capped school to another which makes ZERO sense! We would be forced to leave our base school (Willow Springs Elementary) to go to Fuquay Elementary. I just don't understand why we are moving kids from one capped school to the next.

While I have nothing against FVES, we have been a year round family for 3 years and running and all of a sudden with no choice, we are forced into a traditional schedule.

Full grandfathering with no transportation makes the most sense. I understand that it would probably be difficult to offer transportation. I was speaking with Monika, our D2 School Board Member, and she was saying they can't have 12 buses going into the same neighborhood from 12 different schools. I get that. I don't need or want your transportation services. I work around my daughter's school schedule so I can be available for drop off and pick up.

I also do not understand AT ALL why transfers have so much protection. If you are worried about student numbers and seats, shouldn't the transfers be the first to go? While I don't want to offend anyone that is a transfer, it seems that BASE students should get priority over transfers as they are probably supposed to be attending a not capacity school. While I don't want to kick someone out for the sake of my child, my child shouldn't suffer because of a transfer students.

My oldest in headed into 3rd grade which means lots of changes anyway. Now she will be forced into a new school where she knows no one and she will be expected to preform to high levels due to EOG's starting in this grade. I don't know how this is any form of Stability that WCPSS harps about.

I understand something needs to be done but it sure seems like a lot of this doesn't make sense. If you have a better way of explaining, then by all means, enlighten me!

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Can you please explain why transfer students are not impacted by these proposed re-assignment changes? What is the reasoning that a transfer student be automatically grandfathered in when another student that lives in closer proximity and has been at the school for the same amount of time must move?

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Douglas 2 months ago

I do not agree with this portion of the proposal, "Siblings of eligible grandfather students are not eligible to grandfather". My oldest child is grandfathered at Joyner Elementary as a current 5th grader under the Choice Plan when he entered Kindergarten. His 8 year old brother is grandfathered at Joyner by default. My 8 year old is currently in the 3rd grade and Joyner is our school community/family. To remove my rising 4th grader from Joyner would be very disruptive and inappropriate. Our family and friends are there. My family chooses to stay in the same school and not move because stability is important for a child's development. Please remove the "siblings won't be grandfathered" statement from the proposal.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
anjali ghosh 2 months ago

I have a kid in the 11th grade at Geen Hope High. We are looking to purchase a home on the Panther creek high school area. Will my child be eligible to grandfather and graduate at green hope? These changes are making us very nervous

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sabrina Sine 2 months ago

A grandfather clause (or grandfather policy) is a provision in which an old rule continues to apply to some existing situations while a new rule will apply to all future cases. Those exempt from the new rule are said to have grandfather rights or acquired rights, or to have been grandfathered in. So, in essence, under this definition of the word 'Grandfathered' and applied to this situation- students who are grandfathered into their current school, should be given transportation and should not have to 'apply for transfer' - otherwise, they're not really grandfathered into their current school; but, actually transfer students who are guaranteed spots. There are no stipulations in a true Grandfather Policy.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jacquelynn Ray 2 months ago

With the new 2018-2019 proposal plan for my neighborhood (Forest Landing, off of Hwy 50), I feel that Wake County is not applying the criteria that makes our school system great. In the past, Wake County Public School System seemed to follow the guidelines and based decisions on Stability, Proximity, Operational Efficiency, and Student Achievement. I have concerns that these parameters are not being applied to my neighborhood or to my base school.

My neighborhood has had Aversboro Elementary as its base school since the neighborhood was created in the 1980’s. This has been a deciding factor for my family to stay in Garner. We liked the idea of stability and our children do well with consistency. Now I’m being told that my child who is in the 1st grade, going into the 2nd grade, will have to change schools. Wake County promotes not changing children within 3 years, but that is exactly what you are doing to my child. She moved into your school system only 2 years ago. She has become part of a community and is now being told she has to move. Aversboro Elementary would not be our base with the new plan and is not even an application option. I also have a rising kindergartener that looks forward to going to school with her sister and she also has gotten to know the Aversboro Elementary group through being with me when helping support the PTA and other school functions.

When looking at the new plan I to notice that I can apply to a year-round option that is closer to my surrounding community than the proposed base school. But I have concerns with the new grandfathering policies. If I apply through the application process for both my children to a year-round option, is there a chance that one of them would not be admitted and end up at separate schools? Again, this would go back to stability. My youngest is looking forward to going to school with her older sister. Having my children at the same school would help them and the school by having a more stable, secure, and healthier environment for them to learn. I feel having them at the same school, our family would be able to support the staff and teachers more. If I have to travel between two schools, both schools would miss out on the support physically (PTA events, field trip participation, etc..) and financially from my family because I wouldn’t be fully invested in either school system, and I would be more concerned on maintaining the health of my family.

Wake County talks about proximity. We are being told to change from a school that is 1.4 miles from our home to one that is 3.5 miles. That doesn’t seem like a lot, but it is when you drive those miles in traffic. We could possibly walk to our current school, since it takes us 3-5 minutes to get to Aversboro Elementary with traffic. To get to the new proposed school (Creech Elementary) we it would take 10-15 minutes, crossing three major intersections, and I’m not including the railway crossings with that total. We are currently surrounded by families who attend Aversboro Elementary, who we see in our daily lives. We are being forced to attend a school that is across town, we do not know the community or attend functions in this part of town.

From looking at the proposed plan you are moving children from a base at Vandora Springs Elementary to Aversboro Elementary. This may seem to promote operational efficiency, but it only adds to my confusion. Vandora Springs is being built as I write this. I was under the impression that the new school was planned/built so that the community could ‘grow’ into it. It would seem very shortsighted if this was not the case. So, why are children being moved from the Vandora Springs base to Aversoboro? If there is concern about overcrowding at Aversboro Elementary and my child is being moved out why are others being moved to Aversboro Elementary? I know you are looking at numbers when making these decisions, but I implore you to remember every number represents a child, family, and community that is going to be affected.

As Wake County School Systems guidelines also looks at Student Achievements. Aversboro Elementary does show higher testing scores than the proposed base, Creech Elementary. So, my child would be moving from a stable, secure, environment, to a school that is under preforming. I understand that you have to find a way to improve a school system, but I don’t feel that my child should be forced to a school where she might not get an education that is better or comparable to her current school.

Please Explain to us how Wake County School System is living up to its standards of on Stability, Proximity, Operational Efficiency, and Student Achievements for my community.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Stacey Guard 2 months ago

Thank you for the opportunity to share feedback. My children will be rising 5th and 3rd graders at Willow Springs Elementary School in the 2018-19 school year. I greatly appreciate the opportunity for my rising 5th grader to finish out his elementary school career at the same place where he began. I’d ultimately love the same for my rising 3rd grader. He’s halfway through his elementary school career — let him finish where he starts. However, as it stands, the proposal indicates siblings will not be grandfathered. This element of the Enrollment Proposal would undoubtedly create an incredible hardship for families in this situation. It would unnecessarily divide time and resources between two different elementary schools. It absolutely would not embody the Pillar of Stability. Thank you for your time.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Clint Edwards 2 months ago

Based on the data presented by Kristin Riha below, all schools can handle siblings of rising 5th graders. Splitting siblings is a hardship that the School Board should not force on families in Wake County!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sara Sherman 2 months ago

Please revise the draft plan to allow all grades to transfer/grandfather to their current schools. Also please revise the draft plan to provide protections for siblings to attend the same school. I believe families need stability that these protections provide. Specifically I care about these protections because I have a 1st grader at Dillard Drive Elementary that is proposed to be reassigned in Draft 1. This disappoints me and I would like to be able to keep him at Dillard Drive next year. He attends both early-arrival and after-school care so his network at school is much larger than just his class and teacher. He loves his school and all the friends he has made and the staff he has worked with and being able to keep him at his current school would provide stability. I also have 3-year-old twins that will be starting school in 2 years and I want to feel confident they can attend the same school as their older brother and each other. All parents of multiple children deserve to know it is a given their children will attend the same school when at the same level. A sense of uncertainty about that creates a level of stress that families should not have to constantly worry about year after year. Please keep grandfathering/transfer rules applicable to all grade levels and siblings.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Jaimie Francis 2 months ago

Please revise the enrollment plan to allow all grades and siblings to be grandfathered in for existing calendar application students. My daughter has been at Abbotts Creek for three years now and I have a son who will start kindergarten next year. We live less than a mile from the school and are being reassigned to Fox Rd or our base Durant next year. When taking into account the 4 pillars of stability, proximity, student achievement and operational efficiency the only one being met with this change is operational efficiency related to the class size reduction mandate. As I have stated in another topic forum, in emails to our house and senate reps, emails to the school board and in info sessions this kind of change for families like mine will most certainly produce a negative effect on the cognitive development, academic performance and psychological well-being of our children.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Scott Quilty 2 months ago

Our WSES Board and Membership have put forward recommendations for full grandfathering without transportation at WSES and I would urge the staff and board to consider this workable solution for our school. Disclaimer: I’m not on the WSES PTA Board, but I am a Member.

We know that historically, half of families take grandfathering w/o transportation, and our PTA Board has looked at the numbers and thinks we can make it work with as little as 100 fewer families, otherwise they would not have made this recommendation. A change like this to the Proposal would allow many families to stay at WSES until the opening of E35 in 2020.

Furthermore, if transfers are non-renewed at WSES as part of Draft 2 of this proposal, a notion I'm putting forward here but is not part of the WSES PTA Board and Membership recommendations, then perhaps there is a way to leave many of the current WSES base school families impacted by this Proposal, and move as few as 50 Calendar Option families from WSES. This is the kind of surgical thinking that I would like to see as part of Draft 2, not what seems like haphazard solutions the impact an unnecessarily large number of families in our school.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Per the data presented in the attached file, my child is one of only 4 children at Willow Springs Elementary who is a sibling of a rising 5th grader. Also per the data in this file, 75% of the schools have a sibling count of 5 or less. I would like to request reconsideration of the grandfathering policy to at the very least, allow the siblings of rising 5th graders to stay at their current school (and not for one year, but for the duration of their school term). Workable solutions need to be considered--such as, what if you changed the tracks of some 5th graders along with their siblings? Would that create a mechanism for them to stay? While this is not optimal for my rising 5th grader since she would no longer be able to experience her last year at Willow Springs with her current classmates, it is sure better than my having to tell my rising 3rd grader that she has to leave. To be clear, I don't think any children should get to stay while others have to go. But at the VERY least, the Board should consider the hardship that splitting siblings up presents for both the kids and their families. My 7 year old is extremely stressed about what her future will look like without her sister in it. It's extremely unfair to her. No kid should have to worry about his/her future. That's up to us adults to worry about, and it's up to us adults to do what's best for them. Please help me do what's best for my child.

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Clint Edwards 2 months ago

I agree with Kristin. Splitting up siblings should not even be on the table.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

I could not agree with Kristin more. Forcing 4 siblings out of WSES under the current grandfathering policy will not significantly reduce overcrowding, but it will significantly disrupt the lives of 4 families. WSES needs solutions that impact the least amount of families, and Kristin has raised several above.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Aaron Kirk 2 months ago

At the very least, grandfathering should be granted to families whose kids will end up at 3 different schools. I have a rising 5th and rising 3rd grader at SCES and a rising 7th grader at Pine Hollow. I can't imagine the chaos our schedule will become if we have 3 kids at 3 different schools. We'll have to replan all of our afterschool activities, some of which are only offered at certain times on certain days.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kimberly Dickson 2 months ago

My children are in the 1st and 3rd grades and attend Sycamore Creek as calendar transfer students. The proposed changes could quite possibly force us out of year round and to attend a school that does not have the same high rating that Sycamore has. Sycamore Creek is 1.1 miles from our home and we do provide transportation for our children. Logistics aside, my children are doing very well at Sycamore and they love their school and the "community environment" of Sycamore.

Grandfathering rules under this Proposal are generous for Middle and High School students by comparison, but elementary students, who are less equipped to deal with this kind of disruptive change, are left to be shuffled at the start of their educational journey. Please revise the plan to allow current students to grandfather and stay at the school through the completion of 5th grade. This is consistent with the board priority of “stay where you start.”. Grandfathering only 5th graders in elementary school is not consistent with the pillars for student assignment: 1. Proximity: SCES is the closest elementary school to our home.. 2. Stability: Moving children in the middle of their elementary years will be damaging to their emotional health and academics. Excluding grandfathering for rising 4th graders and siblings will be detrimental. Previous assignment plans have always allowed for rising 4th, 5th and siblings to receive grandfather status. 3. Student Achievement: SCES is excelling academically with existing class sizes to the school population overall. It has an A rating in the most recent data released. Grandfathering will allow children to continue to have access to academic excellence through SCES. Thank you to the planning department and board members for your consideration of this re

0 Votes

Default_avatar
CP Brown 2 months ago

Thank you for the opportunity to provide this feedback. I recently learned that previously 4th and 5th graders and their siblings were able to be grandfathered as part of elementary reassignment plans. Please consider carrying this forard into draft 2 of the 18-19 plan.

It is extremely I important we negatively impact the least amount of children and families as possible. Rising 4th graders are just as invested in their schools and could be participating in AIG programs etc that we should try to keep consistent.

It is unfeasible for most families to manage being split in two different directions as many have already described. Please consider these families and include siblings of 4th and 5th graders in the grandfathering rules as well

The second point I would like to raise is that transfer students are not at all being affected by this reassignment. I would like for the Board to consider current base students at the least rising 4th and 5th along with their siblings equally with transfers. Many base students are being displaced to schools further from their neighborhoods and transfers are not being required to demonstrate a continued need to fill their local seats. This seems like it needs another look.

I have heard that the data shows that more and more children are attending their base schools. I hope that the Board will reconsider the grandfathering clause to allow as many children to finish out their years in the base schools their families chose to enroll them in.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

I attended the D2 BAC Meeting last night and learned something unsettling about grandfathering. The need to have a uniform grandfathering policy across the District is not driven by law or statute, but by an agreement between the current School Board members. It’s not clear to me if this is a written agreement, or a handshake agreement, but it makes me wonder: Why?

Uniform, top down policies are generally reserved for issues of safety and are enacted in the best interest of all children. Zero tolerance is one example of a uniform WCPSS policy, unexcused absence policies and internet usage policies are two other examples. I cannot think of a reason, other than convenience and ease of management for staff, that a uniform grandfathering policy across WCPSS is necessary.

In my mind, a grandfathering policy tailored to each school's individual needs would allow for the least amount of families to be impacted. Impacting the least number of families is not a school assignment pillar, but perhaps it should be. Why should WSES, for example, be forced into a restrictive grandfathering policy that is most appropriate for one school or a handful of schools in Cary or somewhere else in the District? I asked my District 2 Rep, Monika, last night why we needed a uniform grandfathering policy, and she indicated that it would be "unfair to other schools” that kept more restrictive grandfathering policies. But we have the data. We can see which schools really need more restrictive grandfathering, and which can make due with less restrictive policies, so where does fairness come into this equation?

It’s one thing to look a family in the eye and tell them that they have to send their rising 5th grader and rising 2nd grader to different schools because of overcrowding at WSES, but it’s something else entirely to tell that same family that they have to send their kids to different schools because anything different would be “unfair to other schools.”

And thinking about the management of school-by-school grandfathering policies, I’m failing to see why this would be difficult. Schools are capped on a school-by-school basis, it would be ridiculous to make capping decisions at one school and make that decision uniform across every other school in the District. We don’t require each school to have the same number of buses, or the same number of teachers. I’m sitting here at work and wondering how many hundreds of children are being moved as part of this Proposal because it’s “unfair to other schools” for our WCPSS School Board to set school-by-school grandfathering policies? Grandfathering policies that would make the most sense for an individual schools enrollment and growth, and that would impact hundreds fewer families in Wake County.

If you’re reading this and agree, please let your School Board representative know that you don’t agree with a “one size fits all grandfathering policy" for WCPSS, and that a “school-by-school grandfathering policy” backed up with data transparency makes sense and would impact hundreds fewer families if adopted.

The the siblings of rising 5th graders, really any child in Wake County, should not be moved to another school because it's "only fair," they should be moved because the data at that specific school supports the need for the move.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Nilima Bhatt 2 months ago

My 5th grader attends Greenhope elementary a traditional school. The traditional calendar works for our family and is in sync with my high school children. The proposed change from Davis Drive to East Cary would cause tremendous strain on our children not to mention the distance of 9 miles of East Cary compared to 4 miles to Davis Drive Middle. It would mean a 30 minute bus ride which does not seem efficient especially with the morning traffic. Also, with Alston Ridge Middle School opening in 2019 which is only 4 miles away it makes sense to revisit the reassignment of students at that time. The 2 pillars of stability and proximity are met with keeping students at Davis Drive Middle school and Alston Ridge Middle as an option in 2019.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Alison Parker 2 months ago

I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback on the enrollment proposal and very much hope that all of the families’ thoughtful responses in this forum will be carefully considered. I strongly agree with many parents who state that the grandfathering rules need to be expanded for elementary school. It appears that many grades in middle and high school are able to grandfather but only 5th grade in elementary school. What is that? At the very least, 4th graders should also be approved to grandfather in at their existing schools. Our children have attended their school for almost four years and have developed positive and supportive friendships and relationships with teachers and school staff. They are familiar with their daily routines and are already anticipating their upcoming 4th and 5th grade teachers and events. If they are unable to grandfather in and must be sent to a new school, they will be expected to start over and interact with new students and teachers and navigate unfamiliar hallways, classrooms, and school procedures. This will be undeniably stressful and upsetting. Elementary school is an important time when children are developing social, emotional, and cognitive skills; the proposed change to send rising 4th graders to another school for their remaining two years of elementary school would greatly disrupt and negatively impact their well-being as well as their school engagement and achievement. Please consider revising the grandfathering rules for elementary school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Laura Costa 2 months ago

I am commenting once again to express my concern for the proposed changes in Draft 1 to the grandfathering rules. My concern for the proposed grandfathering policy is intertwined with the proposed change to our assigned middle school. I am a Carpenter Village resident with 2 children. One child in 6th grade at DDMS and the other a 5th grader. If nothing changes with the initial proposal I will have 2 children, one grade apart, at 2 different middle schools, on 2 very different bell schedules AND 2 different calendars (year round and middle). I am asking that you reconsider the proposed changes to the grandfathering policy.....The option to pull one child from her established middle school to go across town is not an option. I would feel differently if the change had proximity and perhaps with Alston Ridge Middle opening this is a viable option. But to have 2 children on such vastly different proposed schedules with no benefit of proximity or calendar alignment for my family makes it difficult to even begin to comprehend how I am going to pull it off. Please press pause on the proposed changes to Carpenter Village residents for this year and wait for Alston Ridge Middle school to open in 2018/2019 school year. I cannot imagine that the long term plan for CV residents is ECMS (or Dillard as traditional choice).....with this in mind, please do not shuffle us for a year to then potentially re-assign us to Alston Ridge Middle. I know I speak for many that want our school options to be on this side of town - please understand our need for calendar alignment with middle and high schoolers and need for proximity. Thank you again for the opportunity to express my viewpoint.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Valerie Matthews 2 months ago

Our family will be greatly affected by these changes, as I will have 2 in middle school on YR and a rising fourth grader who is forced to attend traditional. My children are very close. I do not want them on opposite calendars while they are young. Please consider making Buckhorn Year Round, it is what would benefit most of us in the Holly Springs area where our children feed into a YR middle school, Holly Grove. Also, we have been a part of Herbert Akins for 8 years. We have developed trusting relationships with the faculty and teachers. My, will be 4th grader has developed close ties to friends and this school over the last four years. It is so unfair for her to have been there for four years and then to be ripped away from a place she has thrived and not only that but placed in a new unfamiliar school that is on a different calendar from her two older sisters that she adores. Please adhere to the "stay where you start" rule. Grandfather these children into the school where they are. Dont further disrupt their lives. The new school will fill itself with the addition of 600 homes across the street.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Rebecca Perez 2 months ago

I propose that we have an open period of time where schools that have more space/need more students are able to accept most any student that would like to attend that school. In this way, transfer students etc, may be able to remain at their school taking the space of other students who possibly don't want their space at their base school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lucas Buxengard 2 months ago

In regards to the new school assignment, I would like to request the Boulder Creek subdivision in Raleigh, 27613 remains with Sycamore Creek Elementary as a year round base. Specifically, our house address is: 5801 Sand Pebble Place, Raleigh, NC 27613.

There are very few children in this Boulder Creek neighborhood who use public schools so changing this would not be a significant impact on number of students attending. Currently, there are less than four families in the neighborhood who would use Sycamore, if that.

I have one more child going through Sycamore Creek. My other two kids have already been at Sycamore. We love the school and I have been a big part of the PTA and highly involved. I can't imagine having one child at Pine Hollow, one at Sycamore (rising 5th grader) and one at Pleasant Union next year. The logistics of having two working parents and coordinating the different school start and end times, etc... is going to be a nightmare.

Please change the base back to Sycamore Creek Elementary and let us continue as we were.

Much appreciated.

Melissa Buxengard

1 Vote

Default_avatar

The Willow Springs General PTA Membership voted on the attached response on 10/9/2017. We hope that it will be considered for future drafts.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Bailey 2 months ago

I've returned to continue asking the board to reverse their position on Grandfathering Siblings with the Reassignment Proposal. My rising 5th grader will remain at Ballentine Elementary but my rising 2nd grader will be thrown out and over to Banks Road Elementary. This creates a hardship as it has two elementary schoolers on the same bell schedule at different elementary schools needing me to be two places at once to get one off the bus and pick up the other in carpool since transportation isn't provided. How is this ok to do to families? Where is there an inkling of stability in any of this? There isn't! I implore you to grant siblings approval for remaining at their existing schools. Give them priority when filling seats instead of shuffling others out of their beloved school and into ours. No one wins. No parent, no student and certainly not the board by upholding the no grandfathering in siblings part of the proposal.

0 Votes