This Discussion channel is currently closed.
Small2_xp2s1761-edit

UPDATE 10/05: Our service provider has address the problems with this site. It should now be functioning properly for all. Thank you for your patience.

This three-story high school at 8228 Hebron Church Road is now occupied by Garner High School students while that campus is renovated. It will open for its own student population in Fall 2018.

Learn more about how we're building new schools to keep up with student population growth.

Learn more about the "four pillars" that guide all student assignment decisions.

Please leave feedback below about any proposed assignment changes related to this new school.

47 Responses

Default_avatar
Melinda Baker about 1 month ago

My son has to attend South Garner this year. This campus is far for us, taking me an hour round trip in the mornings due to country roads and rush hour traffic. The current 18-19 proposal has assigned my son to Garner High and we couldn't be happier-10 minutes from the house!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Heather Blasco about 1 month ago

I may have missed this somewhere in the documentation, but is South Garner opening with all 4 grades or just 9th and 10th grade?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

Should add that that is correct under current proposal. Everything is just proposed at this stage as we work toward a final plan.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

All new high schools open with grades 9&10 only. You did not miss this; we did not make it very obvious.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Bradley Zohn about 1 month ago

How does varsity athletics work at schools with only freshman and sophomores? Guessing they don't have any?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

So then current 10th and 11th graders at GMHS whose base school is changing to South Garner would not need to be part of the Grandfather/transfer process, correct? They should be staying at GMHS with transportation?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

You are correct. Appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We are working to fix the address look-up to avoid confusion regarding rising 11th and 12th graders.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Georgia Highsmith 29 days ago

My son is in the 10 th grade at Middle Creek And our base school will be changing to Garner High..., He is doing Well at Middle Creek and he's active in sports academically he does better with the block scheduled opposed to having to start found A/B day which doesn't work for all children ... so with him being a rising 11th grader I can do a grandfathered transfer for him to stay at his current school but will there be transportation provided ??? I'm very concerned and hate this is happening

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Heather Blasco 29 days ago

Georgia - according to the proposed grandfathering policy, http://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654 , transportation would not be provided: Students who experience an assignment change from an existing school to an existing school: All current students in 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 grades are eligible to request a transfer to “grandfather” at their current assignment. These requests will be approved. Siblings of eligible grandfather students are not eligible to grandfather. Students who request to grandfather are transfer students and no transportation will be provided.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

I don't understand why the IB option for students assigned to South Garner is Enloe and not Garner. It seems this would be to discourage kids resassigned to South Garner from trying to get into the IB program by making it less desirable (further away). Is there another reason for this?

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Thank you for pointing out this error in the address lookup. The IB magnet school for South Garner HS should be Garner HS. We will get this corrected.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Marshae Williams about 1 month ago

Thank you. I am glad to learn this was an error. Broughton and Enloe cannot handle the number of applicants as it is. We need GMHS as an option for application schools for surrounding Garner addresses.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt (WCPSS) - I have noted that the warning that the address look up was listing incorrect schools for the Application Schools has been removed so I am assuming it has been fixed. However, I note that while it it is now clear that 11-12 graders will only be going to GMHS it does not show GMHS as an option for me to apply for when my base high school is South Garner for 9-10 grades. Does this still need to be fixed or should I take from this that for my address I cannot apply to GMHS for my child? I've attached screenshots for what I see for my address.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Andrew Gammon about 1 month ago

My wife and I just moved from Orlando, FL to Garner, NC, which we chose for the IB program, where my son attended in Orlando. My son just started his 11th grade year at the current S Garner HS (Hebron Church) location, with the understanding that all IB students would then all move to the rebuilt Garner HS. We rented our current home in Garner with this understanding. Now I see that Enloe HS is the IB school option, not Garner HS? It appears from a map that Enloe HS is 2-3 times the distance of Garner HS. Please tell me my son is not going to have to change schools again.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

I believe that your son, as a 12th grader next year, would be grandfathered into still attending Garner High School based on the information in the presentation slides so he would be able to stay in the IB program there. From the slide: From existing school to a new school (for students rising into grades 8, 11 and 12 only) are eligible to request a transfer to “grandfather” at their current assignment. These requests will be approved.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Andrew Gammon about 1 month ago

It appears your exactly correct, and didn't read the "existing school to a new school" correctly. I'm marking my calendar to attend at least one of the remaining presentations. Thanks for your input.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Sonya Mitchell about 1 month ago

When/where are the next presentations?

1 Vote

Default_avatar

I found the presentation on the WCPSS website that they I assume gave to the School Board at last night's meeting: http://www.wcpss.net/cms/lib/NC01911451/Centricity/Domain/6073/StudentEnrollmentProposal-1.pdf

They also have announced public feedback sessions, one at South Garner High School on Oct 9.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sonya Mitchell about 1 month ago

My daughter will be going to the 11th grade next year and she is in the IB program at Enloe. I hope that she is able to grandfather back into Enloe next year. Where can I find the slides that discuss the plans for existing students and the grandfathering process? Has the board decided/posted the application timeline for completing the transfer application? If, so when should we apply? I went through these Wake Co. Schools tactics when my oldest daughter was in high school (since she had graduated from college), now I have to go through it again with her sister. The pattern for Wake Co. Public School Systems seems to be equivalent to the definition of instability and change.... all the time for these kids. It's not good for their learning process, when will the get the picture.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Here is the proposed grandfathering policy: http://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654 Grandfather requests are made during the Transfer Request period in February.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Blair Brown about 1 month ago

When are these meetings...Im in Garner my girls ...one at Dillard in the 7th and the other at Middle Creek 10th have been doing great where they are. Straight A students...dont plan on changing now to a new base school Wake County Publis School System get it together. When i tried to get them into schools in garner it couldnt happen...too crowded..waiting list. So now you want to get it right. Too late for that. Moving kids is not good for their learning. And this grandfather thing...umm yes i can keep them in their schools....but no transportation...hmmmm. I didnt ask for them to be bussed 30 mins away. WCPSS did. So dont tell me there will be no transportation for them now. Not my problem. Figure out how to use some of that Education Lottery money..and pay for more bus drivers and pay the teachers more..Dont take your issues out on us parents. We just want our kids to thrive and have a shot at a great future. Anything to say to me blair.royalartistgroup@gmail.com im here.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Is there any projection for what the socioeconomic status of South Garner High will be based on the proposed assignments?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Marshae Williams about 1 month ago

If a student has started in GMHS they should have the option to grandfather and continue with the Magnet and IB programs. Also, if they have a sibling they should have the option to grandfather. We need to keep families together not separate them.

11 Votes
Default_avatar
Jennifer Faison about 1 month ago

ABSOLUTELY Marshae! I am hoping WCPSS wants families to stay together!!

4 Votes

Default_avatar

The presentation states that grandfathering of high school students from an existing school assigned to a new school will be approved for rising 11th and 12th grades only. Does that mean any rising 10th grade student who applies for grandfather at their existing school will be automatically rejected or is there some case-by-case basis whereby they might receive approval of such a request?

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Good afternoon, Our base now is South Garner High. I have a son that is going to be a senior next year and will go back to Garner Magnet(because South Garner will only have 9th and 10th grade as stated above), and I have a daughter that will be in 10th grade. According to the plans my daughter will not be "grandfathered" to go to the same school that my son will be attending. Would you really separate two siblings when the older sibling has no other option? I can't believe it would be in the best interest of ANYONE to separate siblings to go to two different high schools when there isn't another option!!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Michael Williams about 1 month ago

Please let me explain why this will not work!! The feedback I have received thus far is that my 11th grade child will be able to submit a grandfather request to remain a GMHS student for her 12th grade year. But by 9th grade student will have to submit a magnet school application to REMAIN a GMHS student for the rest of his high school career. AGAIN, let met explain why it will not work.

When determining how many "magnet spaces" are available at a magnet school they wait until they have the number of expected "base" students to attend. They then subtract the number of base students they expect from the maximum number of students the school can hold to obtain the number of magnet students they will select from the applications. So, if the school has a maximum of 3,000 and they have 2,900 base students they will accept only 100 magnet students. Now that we have the magic number of 100, you still don't have 100 chances of getting one of the slots. There are 13 priorities from which they select students from the pool of applicants. See their explanation: http://wcpss.net/cms/lib/NC01911451/Centricity/Domain/36/all%20Magnet%20Priorities%20for%20web%201-2-3-5%20v3.pdf

Don't worry almost all of the students that want to remain with their siblings at GMHS, that are current students, will not fit within one of these 13 priorities. So where does that leave our children...with the 14th option: "10% of vacancies will be filled randomly from all remaining applications." So of the 100 slots, children will have to be picked in a lottery fashion for the 10 slots that is left for us. SO ALL THE CURRENT STUDENTS THAT APPLY ONLY 10 CHILDREN WILL BE ABLE TO GET INTO GMHS UNDER THIS EXAMPLE. The school board has established the policy that places the current students, with siblings, at the end of the line!!! As someone that has applied numerous times for a magnet slot, there are never 100 positions available. It was just an easy number to use. It will be a LOT LESS.

Please tell me you are better than this and will allow the siblings to remain a part of the base school population for GMHS. Don’t tell us this is a solution to our problem when you know fully that a fraction of these families will be able to remain at the same school. This is the exact reason you have allowed families to stay together throughout the history of our school system. Don’t be the instrument that tore the family unit apart in Garner!

4 Votes
Default_avatar

I am also trying to figure out the chances of landing a magnet seat which is why I asked about socioeconomic status of the school we would be assigned. Interesting that the priorities for magnet selection of the document you posted seem different than the ones listed on the website http://www.wcpss.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=4501. One references the status of your assigned school, the other doesn't. However, in reading your post and the reference material in the presentation (assuming I am reading it correctly) GMHS will be less crowded next year that South Garner (72% vs 78%) so I would expect there would be more magnet seats available using your formula. Also, if your 9th grader is already enrolled at GMHS and in the IB program, wouldn't that qualify under priority 4 for non-magnet students or priority 2 for magnet students?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Michael Williams about 1 month ago

He is enrolled in classes to prepare his entry into the IB program, Honors Biology and Honors Earth Science as well as Honors Math 3 all in the 9th grade. But you do not enter the IB program until you are in the 11th grade.

The crowding you speak of would not place us into that priority. We have applied to 3 different High Schools, a Middle School and the Young Women's Academy. The results were the same each time "NO!" Do not expect to get a slot. Five years of "No" you get the idea that you will not get a slot from a certain node!!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Cherre Truelove about 1 month ago

I was made aware that the school board is discussing the possibility of not granting a grandfather clause for Garner schools next year. I was shocked to hear that the board is even discussing the option to negate the grandfather policy for Garner schools, as the school board allowed grandfathering at Wake Forest/Rolesville, Apex Friendship/Apex and Holly Springs/Fuquay. As a school within the Wake County Public School System, Garner schools should also receive grandfather rights. Please be aware of the many concerns this raises for parents in our community. WCPSS has always encouraged parent involvement. We all know that more parent involvement equates to more success in the classroom. Need I say more? Adding the grandfather clause will allow parents to maintain their current level of involvement. WCPSS strives to maintain and raise school ranking within our district and state. By removing the grandfather clause, our community schools and school district will see negative results in academic standing, by the mere decrease of family involvement. Garner schools have a 64% minority population, where many children come from single family homes and lower socioeconomic status than the WCPSS schools which recently received grandfather status during their transitional year. Without the grandfather clause, the hardships on these families and children will have a more significant negative impact than it would on students in more affluent areas. Provisions for a grandfather clause are typically issued for practicality, to allow transitions to be enacted without upsetting a well-established logistical situation. As with the aforementioned schools, Garner schools have the same need and the same reasons for grandfather clause implementation. Having students at two opposing high schools is a logistical nightmare for families. Just thinking about it is overwhelming. Putting it into action is impractical for all families involved and impossible for others. Parents have enough to juggle without having to double up on attendance at Awards Ceremonies, PTA Meetings, Concerts, Athletic events etc. In many cases there will be overlap, so parents will have to choose which Open House to attend, whose Awards Ceremony they will miss, which PTA they have time to support, etc.
There are several financial implications and transportation issues as well. Parents cannot be in two places at the same time for carpool, pick-up from school practices, sports games and club meetings. Something would have to give. Most likely, children will have to decrease the number of school activities in which they participate in order for family schedules/logistics/transportation to accommodate families being split at different schools. Statistics show that students involved in extracurricular activities are more likely to stay enrolled in school, perform better in school and are less likely to be involved in negative behaviors with lifelong results. In addition, students need more school involvement, not less, in order to secure college acceptance and scholarship opportunities. Students shouldn’t have to limit school involvement due to logistics.
For parents who drive children to/from school, it’s extra time and gas money to take high school students to different schools. There will inevitably be more tardies in the mornings and children will have to waste additional time waiting for afternoon pick-up, when their time could be better spent doing homework.
Furthermore, some parents will have to purchase another vehicle in order for their two driving age children to be able to drive themselves to and from different schools, sports practices/games, etc. Many parents buy one vehicle for their teens to share, as they ride to/from school together, finish sports practices at the same time, etc. On top of purchasing an additional vehicle, there will be increased insurance premiums for adding an additional car to auto policies. Not to mention paying double the gas to go in different directions to get to/from school and school activities. Don’t forget paying for two parking passes instead of one. These are just some of the hardships our student population and their families will face. Many children, including my own, participate in fall, winter and spring sports, so the implications of separate high schools affects the entire school year, not just one sports season. Parents often leave work early, when possible, in order to attend their child/children’s sporting events. Doubling the number of days leaving work early to support children is not feasible, which means parents are only able to provide half the support they have in the past. Entrance fees to games at two schools instead of one is an additional burden. All of these expenses add up. Financial and logistic limitations will force families to decrease school involvement. This will not be good for schools in the Garner community.
In addition, families deal with enough sibling rivalry without children being pitted against each other in sporting events. My children participate in lacrosse, swim and tennis, which are all Varsity sports at our school, which means they will be play against each other time and time again. That’s a recipe for disaster. Division of this nature within families is unnecessary and avoidable if a grandfather clause is put into effect.
Furthermore, removing the grandfather clause is not good for our community in general. As we all know, when a family with school age children moves, school assignments are an important factor parents consider when deciding where to purchase a home. It would not be appealing for a family to realize that their children must attend separate high schools. That would be a deal breaker on many home sales in our community.
There is a myriad of additional impracticalities families will face if the grandfather policy is taken out of effect. Numerous detrimental effects on family, educational and community dynamics can easily be avoided by granting the grandfather clause to Garner schools. This will give our families and community the smooth transition that other Wake County schools have been afforded. Thank you for taking 2700+ students and their families into consideration when making a decision that will make or break our year of transition.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Here is the proposed grandfathering policy: http://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Matt, the wording of the policy does not specifically state that grandfathering for 10 graders assigned to a new school is not available under any circumstances like it does for siblings of eligible students. Is that the case or are there cases where it may be considered and/or permitted? Why are some questions on this forum answered or addressed and some ignored?

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt--we know the proposed grandfathering policy and that is what we are saying--It splits up families in Garner! Our older kids DO NOT have an option to be at South Garner--they will return to Garner Magnet! So with this new policy of no grandfathering for younger siblings-our kids would be separated. Which is the MOST ABSURD thing ever!! Read again(above) all the terrible things being in two different high schools would do to your family. Would you even think about doing this to your family?!

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Bradley, we are answering some of the more basic questions for clarity and compiling an FAQ for the more detailed questions. We will post the FAQ here by week's end. Thank you for your patience. Jennifer, I was posting the proposed grandfathering rules because Cherre said the board was considering not granting a grandfathering clause. That is not accurate, so wanted to clarify. But I understand your point.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Thank you Matt for explaining.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

ok, thanks for the explanation.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
jeri eckel about 1 month ago

My rising 10th grader was proposed for South Garner 18-19 year. We were planning on the Magnet option which we thought would be GMHS but the proposal shows Enloe, Broughton and Athens with no transportation. Since we are 2 working parents logistics of this would be impossible for us. What are the chances that we could apply to GMHS and get in? Also my child plays sports and looks like South Garner would only have 9th and 10th graders - JV? Thanks for your consideration in this as we have been a part of this community for 15 years and my child would not want to go to High School across town and have to leave her friends.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Deda Band about 1 month ago

The current WCPSS 2018-2019 Enrollment Proposal does NOT allow siblings to grandfather at Garner Magnet High School, and I want to voice my opinion as I feel strongly about this. Not allowing grandfathering will split many families up, assigning siblings to different schools. I am very much AGAINST splitting families up! Splitting families up divides volunteer support, divides fundraising, divides school spirit, decreases after school opportunities for youth affected by sibling carpooling, increases hardships among families, and could cause siblings to have to compete against each other. It is simply wrong to force families to split up! It is bad for families, it is bad for the schools, and it is bad for our communities. Please vote to keep grandfathering at our Garner area schools! Please vote to make our schools and communities strong!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Regina Wright 29 days ago

My 9th grader will be assigned to South Garner High School and we are THRILLED!!! It's just a seven minute drive from our home. Thank you!!!!!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tracey Singleton 29 days ago

While I understand the many factors considered when working with school assignment, I have to voice my concern that the current plan will split families between the two schools. I won't repeat what has already been stated as argument for allowing siblings to attend GMHS rather than their assigned school, South Garner. I will however voice my opinion, and that is that no family should have to go through an application or appeal process to keep their high school children at the same school. Period. Take the stress and aggravation of requesting that a family's children attend the same high school out of the assignment plan and just make it happen!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Regina Wright 26 days ago

I’d like to know what type of schedule South Garner High School will follow - block, A day/B day, or a traditional 7-8 periods per day. I really hope it is NOT a traditional 7-8 period day!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Bradley Zohn 22 days ago

It appears to me, based on a lot of what has been discussed here, that there are likely many rising 10th grade families (and 9th grade siblings) who will want to apply for magnet seats at GMHS due to the lack of a grandfather option to in order to keep their kids where they started (or with their siblings). Will these applications be weighed as they would normally in the magnet process, independent of any factors of their new assignment? Or, will they be viewed with the same reluctance behind the decision to deny them a grandfather option in the first place? Also, with the significant drop in the crowding factor at GMHS (to 72% of capacity according to the table in the presentation), will the number of available magnet seats be increased? Thanks!

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Dana Kincaid at October 11, 2017 at 9:12pm EDT

I am thinking that you are correct in them being viewed with the same reluctance since they are assigned to a new high school and not an existing one.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Bradley Zohn at October 12, 2017 at 9:03am EDT

Well it would be nice if someone answered the question. I posted it 2 weeks ago and it doesn't appear it made the 2nd FAQ either. Seems pretty straightforward question -- what is the policy? Will Magnet applications be considered in isolation of the assignment proposal (using the established and published weighting rules) or will the reassignment to a new school become part of the Magnet equation? Which brings me back to another question that has been ignored. The published rules for Magnet consideration says the socio-economic status of the assigned school is one of the factors. If Magnet applications from South Garner students are considered equally to any other Magnet applications, what will be the socio-economic score of South Garner High based on the proposal?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Christine ONeil 19 days ago

My son will be a rising 10th grader next year and is slated to attend South Garner High. He is very bright, was top of his class in middle school and we were fully expecting him to be able to pursue the IB prgram at Garner High, the only reasonably located high school around our home that offers this program. However, it now seems that we will have to apply to the magnet program at GMHS with little to no hope of having him accepted and, as per the propsed changes to student assignments we will have his two sisters in elementary schools in completely opposite directions, there is no way I can get him to Enloe or Athens when both my husband and I work full time! I am completely frustrated in the utter lack of support excellent students receive to further their education in WCPSS. Here again another bright mind will be left in the dust because a lottery drawing is done for spots in magnet schools. How about looking at student achievement for once in this process! In light of all the lost opportunities I suggest this option - make South Garner a Magnet school with the IB option as well!!

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Dana Kincaid at October 09, 2017 at 10:24pm EDT

I agree with you! This is punishing kids who have been in the Magnet IB program and want to complete every year in it!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Dana Kincaid at October 12, 2017 at 7:59pm EDT

So many problems with this plan placing current participants in the IB program at GMHS into a non IB school. My son, along with many other freshman this year, is in all honors classes in preparation for the IB diploma. He is taking Paideia classes, advanced Chinese, and other classes that are considered IB middle years classes. He is also becoming involved with drama, and making friends that are part of the things he likes. As with many of the other freshman this year, he is finding where he fits in, and what he enjoys the most. We literally moved to Garner 10 years ago and chose the neighborhood that we did because of where we wanted our kids go to school! We chose Garner schools when everyone else was saying anywhere but Garner! We have loved the IB program at EGMMS, and have tolerated the freshman center with the idea that because we were a magnet IB family we would naturally go to the magnet IB school. All we are asking for the next draft is that WCPSS take into consideration why families have moved to Garner, and how this change will effect the students who are already deep into the magnet IB middle years program with plans to complete the IB diploma, at GMHS! This proposal is a huge disruption for many families, and we understand growth, but we are asking WCPSS to consider that we have kids who love their school, the programs they are involved in, and are making plans for the future! There has to be a different way to populate South Garner High School rather than taking away all of the benefits that a magnet IB program has given them!

0 Votes