UPDATE SEPT. 18 - Draft 2

• The school board received Draft 2 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal on Tuesday, Sept. 18.

Look up your address to see your proposed assignment in Draft 2 of the proposal. 

Here are the main changes recommended in Draft 2:

• The following neighborhoods would remain based at Cedar Fork Elementary and West Cary Middle instead of being assigned to Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle School:
    • Families in the Parkside Elementary base attendance area would have the option to apply to Pleasant Grove Elementary as a traditional calendar application school, as well as Powell Magnet Elementary. Under this proposal, Pleasant Grove calendar application students would not receive district transportation while Powell students would. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A portion of the Poe Elementary base would be assigned to the new Southeast Raleigh Elementary. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • The Draft 1 proposal for all students in the Southeast Raleigh Elementary base attendance area to be assigned to Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High will be phased in, instead of happening immediately. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A downtown Raleigh area assigned to Turner Creek Elementary would be assigned to Conn Elementary, Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High beginning 2019-20. Draft 1 had recommended making this change in 2020-21. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

Other considerations

We have received a good deal of feedback online regarding some of the proposed changes.

We are not recommending any additional changes at this time, but our staff is continuing to review information regarding proposed assignments from Davis Drive Middle to East Cary Middle and from Mills Park Elementary and Middle to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle (Cameron Pond neighborhood.)

Today’s presentation contains staff responses to the proposed changes that have prompted the most feedback. 

What happens next?

Parents can continue to share their feedback on this forum.

We also have scheduled four public meetings where parents will have an opportunity to learn more information and share feedback in person.

Please note that each of these meetings will have a specific topic focus. Please attend the meeting regarding the proposal that applies to you. If you attend a meeting focused on a topic that does not affect you, there will be student assignment staff available to help answer your questions.

• Sept. 24 - Cary High School, 638 Walnut St., Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to East Cary and West Cary Middle schools, as well as proposed calendar application school changes.
    • Sept. 26 - Wakefield Middle School, 2300 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh - TOPIC: Proposed assignments to relieve overcrowding at Heritage High School.
    • Oct. 3 - Panther Creek High School - 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to Alston Ridge Middle School and Parkside Elementary School.
    • Oct. 1 - Apex High School (Green Level campus) - 7600 Roberts Road, Cary - TOPIC: The opening of the new Green Level High School. Information will be presented about likely academic and extracurricular offerings in the first years of the school.

Draft 3 will be presented to the board on Oct. 16, and the board will then begin working toward a final plan. A vote is expected on Nov. 20. View full timeline.

Draft 1 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal was released on Aug. 21.

This is the beginning of a community discussion about the best ways to fill new schools opening in 2019 and to make the best use of existing school facilities. We are committed to ensuring that every child in Wake County attends an excellent school, no matter where they live.

We strive for a collaborative and transparent process. On this forum, we encourage you to find the topic thread that applies to you, then ask questions and provide feedback. School district staff and board members monitor this site regularly.

We will be able to respond directly to questions of process or clarification. We will answer more detailed questions in a frequently asked questions document.

Topic: Draft 3

Board members received the third draft of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal on Oct. 30. Type in your address to see how you are proposed to be affected in Draft 3. 

This is the final draft based on staff recommendations. Any additional changes will come from board direction.

A public hearing is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 7 in the board room, 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary. A speaker sign-up link will be posted at noon the day of the hearing.

Here are the main staff proposals in Draft 3:

• Remove Draft 2 recommendation to assign some Poe Elementary students to Southeast Raleigh Elementary.
  • Remove recommendation to assign some students at Highcroft Drive Elementary and Weatherstone Elementary to Green Hope Elementary.
  • Remove recommendation to move some Davis Drive Middle students to East Cary Middle.
  • Remove recommendation to move some students in Kingswood Elementary base to West Cary Middle. They would remain at Reedy Creek Middle.
  • Remove recommendation to assign some Martin Middle students to Reedy Creek Middle.
  • A portion of the Reedy Creek Middle base proposed to attend West Cary Middle will now be proposed to attend East Cary Middle.
  • The grandfathering rules for middle school students are proposed to change. Under Draft 3, 7th and 8th graders assigned to an existing school, i.e. not the new Alston Ridge Middle, would be eligible to grandfather.
  • Remove recommendation to assign portion of Sanderson High base attendance area to Southeast Raleigh Magnet High.
  • Staff continues to recommend that Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle open as multi-track year-round schools. This is to provide additional student capacity in a heavily populated area.
  • Students assigned to Parkside Elementary would have the opportunity to apply to Powell Magnet Elementary or Pleasant Grove Elementary. Powell students would be eligible for neighborhood transportation. Pleasant Grove students would be eligible for express transportation.
56 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Shyamala Mahadevan 18 days ago

My heartfelt thanks to Mr Glenn Carrozza, Mr Matt Dees and ALL of our board members for reassigning is back to Davis Drive Middle!

Can’t thank you all enough!

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Shyamala Mahadevan 18 days ago

I thank ALL of you on behalf of Arlington Ridge and our neighboring communities!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
ARATI KIRTIKAR 18 days ago

Thank you all so much for listening to us!

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Julie Hudspeth 18 days ago

Thank you, Board, for listening and caring!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
CM Loop 18 days ago

Thank you for keeping Fairfax and Huntsmoor in the Davis Drive Middle School assignment. It supports, students, families, teachers, and community health.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Hu Huang 18 days ago

Thank you all of broad members for listening to our voices, and keeping our Kenilworth kids in Davis Drive Middle School!

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Sarah Deeb 18 days ago

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for listening to all of our impassioned pleas to remain assigned to Davis Drive Middle School, and reflecting that in draft 3. I pledge to devote all of the time, and energy that I have put into fighting reassignment towards volunteering at Davis Drive. I also plan to vote YES on ALL BOND ISSUES! I hope everyone else will join me, because together we CAN make a difference!

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Sarah Deeb 18 days ago

Thank You on behalf of the Preston Forest neighborhood!

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Allieon Del 18 days ago

Continued unhappiness and disappointment with the draft. We are still losing our school option of Oak Grove and will be forced to Adams as our new year round option. Will Adams even remain year round? So many discussions to change its calendar. Will there be an express bus so my child won’t be on the bus exceptionally long. The drive on a good day is 20 minutes. With multiple stops on a bus this could be an hour or more. What priority will families affected by these calendar chances be given for handship transfers?

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 07, 2018 at 12:34pm EST
0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ngoc Hulbig 18 days ago

THANK YOU from Preston Forest to the board, Mr. Carrozza and student assignment staff for hearing us and considering the alternative solutions we proposed. Halloween is extra special this year!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Vivek Vaidya 18 days ago

Thank you all the Board Members, Mr Carrozza and team for listening to our feedback and keeping us with DDMS!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Jason Schiller 18 days ago

Thank you for taking the feedback into consideration and keeping Preston Forest at DDMS. This is a good result for the students, school and after school programs. My children will now be able to continue in after school programs and my wife and I who both work full time, will be able to continue our active involvement at the school. THANK YOU AGAIN!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
KA Zisek 18 days ago

Thank you to the board for hearing us and letting our children remain at DDMS.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Bhasker Patlolla 18 days ago

We in the Indian Wells community are disappointed as there are no changes in draft 3. If you are considering retaining Mills park middle for Cameron pond, please consider our neighborhood as well for Mills park middle (all other adjoining communities like Highcroft and Fryers Gate have Mills park middle as assignment).

Most of the parents in our community are looking for traditional schools and our traditional option (West Cary) is far away.

Our community is very small and most of middle schoolers are 6th graders at Mills Park. The move to Alston middle will destabilize them as they just get accustomed to the changes in middle school

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Venu Vegesana 18 days ago

I live in Indian wells community and we have raised our concern on the middle school proximity to west cary and disturbing the 6th graders to change to other school which will impact both parents and students. the change in the calendar/schools are already impacting students and as a small community , Please retain the mills park as traditional option for indian wells.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sonali Baig 17 days ago

Providence Place resident's feedback is again ignored in draft 3. Very disappointed again with the board !!! There has been no changes made to draft 3 despite our continued efforts to explain how unfair it is to uproot our kids from their EXISTING schools & then to shift calendars in the name of growth. We are being treated as the unwanted community of Morrisville, even though we are one of the first communities built here. We have been paying our dues all these years not to see it getting spent on newer communities. All the new communities/developments are given best rated,proximate schools and we are assigned D-rated schools & driven 23 miles out of town. Our kids are removed to make space to newer communities. We have lost complete faith in this board and all the responsible officials who are not considering our community feedback. We will definitely vote "No" to the bond. This is very unfair & unjust treatment to our kids, who are moved from a proximate traditional school to year round base school. This board is acting as a dictator.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Shelley Shalhoub 17 days ago

Thank you so much for keeping our neighborhood- Providence Commons- and our surrounding neighborhoods at DDMS! So glad our kids can continue to go to school together.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Serge Kruczko 16 days ago

We are new to the Sherborne neighborhood and moved here recently primarily for the schools. We have 2 in Greenhope and one in one in Weatherstone. Davis Drive was our expectation For next year. Thanks to the all the members of the board!; Along, with the wonderful parents In keeping this Neighborhood what it is. Serge & Ashlee

1 Vote

Bootstrap_10156198427389900
Jenn Lewis 16 days ago

We are heartbroken to see that we continue to not have a feasible option for year round middle school for our community. Pine Hollow Middle school is 11 miles from our home on the heavily congested 540 during the peak hours when we would need to travel to and from school. The bus ride would undoubtedly be over an hour, and we have all heard about children getting migraines and vomiting on long school bus rides. The option of carpool instead of the bus will be very challenging, particularly for working parents. I called the school this morning to find out about their after school program and learned that the students are transported to the AE Finley YMCA on Baileywick road which is 19 miles from our home, which does not improve the situation in the slightest. Basically, for us, it really leaves us with very little option but to switch over to West Cary traditional which seems counter intuitive with the scarcity of seats in the county and the year round options helping provide for more seats. We were elated with the initial proposal assigning us to Alston Ridge and the after school program being at the NW Cary YMCA. Then draft two pulled the rug from under us and draft three has continued down the route of the in feasible year round option. From what I have heard from our area, no one is going to be able to take advantage of year round middle school. We all were vocal with our concerns on the last draft but received no feedback from the board, and frankly don't feel that we were heard. We would really appreciate more information about what our options might be and why Alston Ridge was taken away from us.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Maura Jones 16 days ago

Please help me understand the fate of East Cary calendar year change as I dont see it above. I see so many positive changes and am strongly hoping that you are hearing our cries to KEEP EAST CARY YEAR ROUND! This side of Cary strongly desires a year round option and without this school remaining as such we don't have a reasonable option. Please hear those that elect you and those that have kids in these schools- we want what is best for our kids and that for the 75% that apply to these year round options is to have it stay that way and have help assessing and adjusting the things that we are asking to be fixed! If those items (outlined previously by so many) are looked at with appropriate interventions, it will draw more to the school. Please hear us!

2 Votes

Bootstrap_10156198427389900
Jenn Lewis 16 days ago

To be more to the point, please bring Alston Ridge back as an application option for those assigned to West Cary Middle as their base school (Ridgemont, Addison Park, Savannah, and The Grove)

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nilima Bhatt 16 days ago

As a resident of Carpenter Village I am disappointed in the grandfathering rule for rising 7th graders at Davis Middle. I am not understanding the reasoning of why student who already have a seat at Davis Drive cannot continue at their current school. This change is causing unnecessary stress for families and student who do not want to change schools. It would be in the best interest of the families in CV as well as the PTA for Davis Middle to keep it our traditional option for Carpenter Village.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Jason Spruill 16 days ago

I would also like to voice my concerns regarding Pine Hollow MS as the YR choice for North Cary and Morrisville. We are losing a MS option (ECMS) that was approximately 4 miles away (in our case) to one 13 miles away, through one of the most heavily congested traffic areas in the mornings. Alston Ridge MS and Salem MS are much closer with simpler commutes. The majority of our children are attending YR elementary schools in the Morrisville area. I don't know how it is reasonable to expect parents to be active in schools this far apart, for those who will have children in both MS and ES. Include the information that after school programs for Pine Hollow are in the opposite direction and the issue is increased.

We are currently dealing with bus transportation issues for our current school at Morrisville Elementary. Bus driver shortages are causing drivers to be overloaded which is causing students to arrive a school later, and most cases at or after the opening bell time. This is for our school that is just a few miles away. We are currently adjusting our morning schedules to allow for this at MES. How can we currently expect to be able to rely on buses for a school as far away as Pine Hollow?

As much as we have found the YR program to be beneficial to our children, I do not believe the school system is providing us a viable option to continue this program into middle school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Amanda Sicvol 16 days ago

I posted this question before but have not yet seen a response. Is it clear what happens if a child is in an application school now and reassigned under this plan? Do they get slotted into the new YR application school or revert to the base CY school? Is there an election parents need to make? When? I am disappointed to see that the presentation barely addressed the elimination of Oak Grove as an option. What a loss for families with activities built in proximity to the school and children with 4 years of friendships now being transferred out as 4th graders. No response from our Board representative either. If I read the power point correctly, there are 13 families impacted at Oak Grove (moved out, none moved in)?? The slide is quite vague but certainly suggests there is an opportunity to grandfather here if that's the only impact to the school. I would appreciate an answer to this question either in this forum or an upcoming FAQ.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Allieon Del 15 days ago

Amanda,

I am curious about this as well. We are a current Oak Grove family with a 1st grader. I looked at the slides for the presentation as well and read it as a result of this rezoning 23 current students will have to move schools as well as 10 kids will now leave their current Elementary and now be Oak Grove students.

I am also hoping with this low number of change my daily may also be considered for hardship or grandfathering.

This is a huge loss to us.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Allieon Del 15 days ago

Amanda,

Additionally I personally know 8 of the families (including our own) that is part of the 23 current students slated to leave. It's very frustrating.

Our new.school options are Swift Creek and Adams. Neither which are great options for stability and/or proximity for our family.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Allieon Del 15 days ago

What is the best resource to research our new school assignments.

I a particularly concerned about construction plans for Swift Creek elementary and the potential for an additional relocation to my child causing another transition.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
LuAnne DeSantis 15 days ago

For the 2019/20 school year, I will have a rising 4th grader (at Carpenter Elem), a rising 6th grader (who will be assigned to ARMS), and a rising 8th grader (currently at DDMS, but will be assigned to ARMS). While I was not ecstatic about Carpenter Village being assigned to ARMS (because I currently have a child on a traditional calendar and thought we were finally on the path to getting all of our children on the same calendar), I was resigned to it (and staying quiet this year) because I would have a new middle-schooler starting fresh at the new school, while allowing my to-be 8th grader to finish out his very last year at DDMS via grandfathering. Grandfathering my oldest at DDMS is important to us for a number of (likely obvious) reasons: he loves the school, he is accustomed to the staff, he has made a ton of great friends there, and he will likely become a DDMS athlete this year as a 7th grader who would be very loyal to his team. We could live with having to provide transportation (though this would still be quite a burden for two working parents). However, I was CRUSHED when I saw that, under Draft 3, "7th and 8th graders assigned to an existing school, i.e. not the new Alston Ridge Middle, would be eligible to grandfather." What does this mean? Does it mean that rising 8th graders (and likely only a few) that would have been able to grandfather under the old rules now cannot, while their friends/classmates still can? I gotta say - this feels like discrimination, and is extremely unfair to students in that position. There cannot be that many rising 8th graders that will be in this position - please leave the grandfathering as it currently is and do not crush these kids!

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Celeste Smith at November 04, 2018 at 1:09pm EST

This draft left us still changing schools for our 3 kids, as well as calendars if our rising 8th grader wants to stay put in East Cary. Sad to think that some voices were heard while others weren't. I understand that changes are necessary, but for the county to think that a farther school is a better choice, they are highly mistaken. Bus ride or carpool, either transportaion will now be even a bigger headache. LONG bus rides are not ok for any child, a proposed 45 minute bus ride one way it mindless and you wonder why kids get into trouble on the buses. Carpool means more juggling for parents who work. There is a happy medium, let the kids who want to stay where they are, STAY WHERE THEY ARE!!! I liked to see that you were willing to allow the 7th graders in some schools grandfather in as well. That was a nice touch.... Now do that for other grades. so siblings can stay together in school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Megan Katz at November 05, 2018 at 7:06am EST

We are grateful for the continued plan to open Alston Ridge and other new schools in Morrisville in a year round calendar. There are too many students to go traditional, and it does not make fiscal sense to disallow 300+ students access to proximate schools. Please keep this in the plan .

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Cathy Morland at November 05, 2018 at 8:22am EST

Thank you for including rising 7th graders in the option to grandfather to their existing school. Please keep that in the final draft, so my rising 7th grade son can stay at RCMMS. Currently we are being reassigned to ECMS which we are unhappy about.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Srikanth Valluru at November 05, 2018 at 9:42am EST

Thanks much WCPSS for keeping the ARE and ARM schools to KittsCreek community.. We prefer proximity school which is one of the pillar. Calender is never one of the pillar and should never be considered to make a decision on school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Srikanth Valluru at November 05, 2018 at 9:43am EST

Really grateful to WCPSS to think of communities and cities to serve more kids by make ARE and ARM year round schools.....

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tatia Markland at November 05, 2018 at 9:52am EST

Dear WCPSS Staff and School Board,

I am happy that Draft 3 reverses the plan to send DDMS students to ECMS, and MPMS students to DDMS; however, I still think this plan is overly aggressive in assigning Carpenter Village to ARMS and locking us out of DDMS as a calendar application school. I am not sure if I would choose ARMS or DDMS for my child next year, but for myself and many parents in our community, what has been presented as "school choice" looks a lot more like an excuse to use our neighborhood to fill in gaps in attendance areas to the benefit of WCPSS and the detriment of our children.

I heard loud and clear from the members of the Board at the 10/30 working meeting that, while they don't necessarily feel good about it, they are willing to sacrifice stability to relieve overcrowding and ensure the successful implementation of new schools. I also heard a great deal of concern about repeating mistakes that many feel have left ECMS under-enrolled.

The current argument is that ARMS must be year-round to support population growth in West Cary, and that you must force as many students as possible into the new school by limiting calendar application and grandfathering options, but this approach seems likely to harm many more students than necessary by over-correcting:

1. Short-term stability: Obviously this will be a loss for Carpenter Village residents, who will lack the continuity of attending their currently assigned middle school with older neighbors and siblings.
  2. Long-term stability: Carpenter Village will remain on the outskirts of a massive attendance area for ARMS that encompasses a large volume of future growth in western Wake County. Carpenter Village is a 20-year-old community, and the move to ARMS will be our 4th middle school reassignment. It seems highly probable that our assignment to ARMS will not hold, and that we will be reassigned yet again as the planned development in the base attendance area for ARMS is complete.
  3. Existing capacity: With over 1,000 homes in Carpenter Village being moved out of the DDMS base area, there should be sufficient capacity to allow members of our community to apply for calendar application seats at DDMS. We do not want to see a plan next year to add new neighborhoods to DDMS after we have been forced out.
  4. Overcrowding: I see no reason that it is necessary or even desirable to fill a new school to maximum capacity in its first year. Further, if you use reassignment to increase ARMS enrollment, you will limit the school's ability to accommodate new growth without more reassignments.
  5. Under-enrollment: ECMS is not proximal to new developments in West Cary. It does not make sense to make assumptions about the success of ARMS based on the history of under-enrollment at ECMS. If under-enrollment at ARMS were a serious concern, you would likely be opening it as a traditional calendar school. Allowing ARMS to grow more organically is much likelier to result in a school that is able to meet the needs of its students, and a population of parents and students who are committed to the school.
  6. School choice: Taking this hardline approach to filling year-round schools removes choice and is likely to increase resistance to year-round schools.

Again, I implore you to consider a more incremental approach: instead of changing our base and calendar application schools all at once, please allow us to retain DDMS as our stable, proximal, and efficient traditional calendar application school. Further, it is irresponsible to make such a major change to a large community when we lack a School Board representative to speak on our behalf, and who we can hold accountable for this decision on election day. If you cannot better represent the needs of Carpenter Village, then please delay making a decision impacting us until our community has a representative on the School Board.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Christopher Champagne at November 05, 2018 at 10:00am EST

Thanks from Kitts Creek! Proximity matters and you have addressed that your plan. The VERY vocal minority does not speak for all of Morrisville. We appreciate your obviously thoughtful approach here.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Holly Wittenborn at November 05, 2018 at 11:34am EST

I am disappointed that the two new schools being opened in my area Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle will not be opened as Traditional. We are in need of more traditional seats not more under enrolled YR schools.

The WORST part of this plan though is that PP and many other neighborhoods have established calendar divisions which are being erased. These lines are being erased only to "clean-up" the map. The school calendar boundaries in this area have been in place for at least 8 years. Families have organized themselves based on the these lines. You can easily fill your news schools with the sizable YR portions of our area, as they have asked you to do. But PLEASE LEAVE the TR areas alone. We will fit in our current schools if you don't expand Cedar Fork school base south, giving away our seats.

This plan changes the boundaries removing us from our current schools and the calendar we need, without a strong reason. It gives away our current school spots instead of shifting them to our application schools. Then on top of all that we are told that there is no room, at any of our towns TR schools, for us(families needing TR North of McCrimmon). Even as the board is trying to find kids to fill up Green Hope Elementary. This situation is beyond the normal heartache of shifting kids a little bit this way or that way. This feels unreasonable ,arbitrary and unnecessarily hard on families north of this newly proposed McCrimmon boundary.

PLEASE DON'T CUT US OFF FROM OUR COMMUNITY!

Attachments: OldMap.jpg NewMap.png
2 Votes

Default_avatar
Chris Lombardo at November 05, 2018 at 1:28pm EST

I am very disappointed that draft 3 does not reflect the discussion held during the school board meeting to remove Timber Dr and North Garner Middle as year-round options. While Yates Mill/Dillard Middle are our base, we chose to attend Adams/East Cary for their year-round programs and convenient locations. The Garner schools are not a viable substitution if only for the fact that they are not multi-track! We're a track 2 family and have no interest in changing to track 4. The Garner schools are also over 30 minutes away in morning traffic ... I can't imagine what time my children would need to catch a bus. Please remove these schools as our year round option. I have a rising 5th grader and rising 8th grader. As Mr Fletcher eloquently championed in the board meeting, there is no way we’ll show up at Garner schools. To focus on Middle schools, both West Lake and Lufkin are far better options than North Garner.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jon McDunn at November 05, 2018 at 2:58pm EST

Now that Draft 3 is out, I would like to have some further discussion about growth and stability. It got cut short in another thread.

I have read a lot of the publicly available material about the WCPSS student population model and how neighborhoods are not something that WCPSS uses in its assignments. I understand that there are over 6000 nodes (or zones or whatever they are called internally to WCPSS) in Wake County and that each of those has a student density and that growth or loss of students from each zone is modeled, not explicitly counted.

So... has there been any critical assessment of the performance of this system? Is there any public material to review? What did the growth trends project in 2015 compared to where we are today? What are the growth projections for Western Wake County over the next 2-5 years and where are the current reassignments likely to be destabilized by that growth?

My point in asking all of this is that these are the types of questions that are critical for the public to have faith in any WCPSS reassignment plan. Without an understanding of the past performance of the model, an idea of how the model is recalibrated and how often, and an idea of what the tradeoffs are for various scenarios, it is difficult to feel that the reassignment process is anything other than arbitrary.

It's like how the grandfathering rules were changed without much fanfare last year. And now that there is some outcry about how they should apply to seventh graders, an exception is being made "except for students assigned to ARMS". Again, where is the data about this "exception"? What are the projections about the alternative scenario? What difference does it make if a few kids stay at their current school, especially without transportation?

In addition to making tweaks on top of tweaks to the proposal, I think it should be incumbent on WCPSS give us feedback about why some alternative scenarios are being rejected while others are adopted.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Dana Haley at November 05, 2018 at 3:32pm EST

We have a 2nd grader at Morrisville Elementary. We have been at Morrisville since K. Please expand on the Grandfathering rules to include children who want to remain at the school the parents chose for them. Magnet families get to stay where they choose. YR should have the same option. My son is finally comfortable with his school, friends and teachers. It took him a while to feel good every day to attend school. He actually tells me he is excited to go to school every day now because he loves Morrisville so much. Please expand the grandfathering rules to include those of us who do not want to leave our school. Morrisville is not overcrowded. We would provide our own transportation. Thanks for any consideration.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Jon McDunn at November 06, 2018 at 10:55am EST

Also, all students in K-8 have an alternative calendar option, but alternative calendar transfer requests are not equally likely to be approved. What are the transfer request numbers for each school, along with the number of approvals? Those data should be readily accessible, publicly available, and factor heavily into reassignment plans.

Many families in the box between NC-55 and Davis Drive and Morrisville Parkway and McCrimmon have indicated (in the online and public forums), alternative calendar transfer requests have been essentially impossible to obtain for at least 5 years. What do the data say? Is this an anecdote or a problem that WCPSS is ignoring?

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 06, 2018 at 3:22pm EST

Jon, we just finalized the attached report that contains transfer request data for the current school year. Keep in mind that this includes all transfer requests, not just traditional calendar applications. A couple of examples: at Green Hope Elementary, 263 of the 312 requests were denied. At Davis Drive Elementary, 52 of the 76 transfer requests were denied. At Davis Drive Middle, 97 out of 120 were denied. These and other schools are presumptively closed to transfers. http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/transferStatus/index.php At these schools, it is likely the only ones accepted are either younger siblings of current students or children of employees at the school.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Jon McDunn at November 06, 2018 at 4:46pm EST

Thanks for the quick response. Do you have the same data for the last 5 years?

I think that any non-magnet school that is chronically closed to transfers should have its base area addressed. It seems to me that there should be at least some capacity (1-3% of the school population or something) available for transfers in that are not staff children or siblings of grandfathered students. Has this been a consideration when reassignments are done?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 06, 2018 at 4:55pm EST

I can check on the past year reports. To your question, we consider measures every year to relieve crowding at many over-capacity schools, including those closed to transfers. But that conflicts with parents who want their children to stay at their current school. So our board has to attempt to strike a balance between those two goals every year, and there are trade-offs in any choice.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Jon McDunn at November 07, 2018 at 1:21pm EST

Hi Matt,

I really appreciate having data. Has WCPSS staff looked at transfer request and approval ratios across the system? I think that there is a compelling story when you look at which schools are outliers.

I have attached one file where all the WCPSS elementary schools are shown. I have plotted the ratio of transfer approvals (in/out) to the ratio of transfers requested (in/out).

Three of the four most egregious outliers in this plot are (1) Alston Ridge ES and (2) Carpenter ES where hundreds of families request transfers out and are almost universally denied while (3) Green Hope ES has hundreds of families requesting transfers in which are almost universally denied.

These are all great schools. The difference, ARES and Carpenter ES are year round while GHES is traditional calendar.

It appears that the anecdotes that are shared by individuals in all formats (online and in person) are supported by the data. That for families in this part of Wake County there is essentially no calendar choice. And at least equally importantly, that families in this part of the county strongly prefer traditional calendar schooling.

These factors should be explicitly included in reassignment plans and part of the public discussion. It is not just a handful of anecdotes. And WCPSS data demonstrates that the most severe elementary school outliers in the entire system are associated with calendar choice in this part of the county.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Trish M at November 06, 2018 at 11:28am EST

Good morning, There was a discussion at the last school board to allow Morrisville Elementary students that want to stay, be able to stay without transportation. It was approved/agreed with 3 of the 5 members, with Bill Fletcher and Dr. Martin pushing for it. If MES will be less 77 students overall, let us few that want to stay be able to stay. Yes there are 107 students that are being reassigned, but I believe there are only about 20-25 of us that want to remain with the others moving with their neighborhood to the new schools that will feed into their middle school as well. PLEASE consider allowing the current MES students to transfer and stay till we age out and please give us an idea whether this is an option or not. Thanks, Trish

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 06, 2018 at 3:37pm EST

Trish, this is one of the topics for discussion at tomorrow's board work session at 3:30 p.m. You can attend or watch live on our YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/WakeCountySchools

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Trish M at November 06, 2018 at 4:52pm EST

Thanks Matt. Just so I'm clear both the 3:30 and 5:30 are open to the public? Is the 3:30 a board discussion (no forums) and then 5:30 is the public forum? Trish

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 06, 2018 at 5:01pm EST

Yes, both open to public. 3:30 is just board discussion, no public comment. Public hearing will be during the 5:30 meeting, toward the beginning.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Allieon Del at November 07, 2018 at 12:17pm EST

CAn you help me locate the link to sign up to speak at the 5:30 session??

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 07, 2018 at 12:38pm EST

The public hearing will be held during the 5:30 board meeting today at 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary. (It's the first thing on the agenda after superintendent and board member comments.) You may sign up to speak here. http://webarchive.wcpss.net/signup/board-meeting-speakers-special/

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Allieon Del at November 08, 2018 at 8:44am EST

Thank you thank you to the board for the new grandfather plans for calendar application students. Please pass this. I am happy to provide transportation to remain at the school. Thank you. Please do not adjust this. This is great!!!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Tatia Markland at November 08, 2018 at 9:39am EST

Matt Dees, Glenn Carrozza mentioned at last night's Board meeting that ARMS is projected to be at 25% capacity if grandfathering is not restricted for students from DDMS. Can you share more details about the numbers behind that projection? Is it possible to break out the 25% number by grade?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sonali Baig at November 08, 2018 at 12:08pm EST

Hello Matt Dees: Can you please clarify/explain how the modified proposed Grandfathering rules would translate for Cedar Fork ES families? Can we grandfather via the "transfer" option to CedarFork?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at November 08, 2018 at 3:02pm EST

There are no changes at this time recommended for grandfathering rules for elementary school. It remains rising 5th graders are eligible to request to grandfather, as well as any younger siblings who can stay for one year. There will be a special request period after the approval of the final plan where eligible students can request to grandfather. All eligible requests will be approved.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Suganthi Ramesh at November 10, 2018 at 10:21pm EST

Please do not remove our current neighborhood assignment from Davis drive middle to Alston ridge. It is very unfair to remove the existing assignments to accommodate new developments that are coming up. We planned our home considering the school assignment and this reassignment disturbs our kids future very much.

1 Vote