Board members received the third draft of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal on Oct. 30. Type in your address to see how you are proposed to be affected in Draft 3.
This is the final draft based on staff recommendations. Any additional changes will come from board direction.
A public hearing is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 7 in the board room, 5625 Dillard Drive, Cary. A speaker sign-up link will be posted at noon the day of the hearing.
Here are the main staff proposals in Draft 3:
- Remove Draft 2 recommendation to assign some Poe Elementary students to Southeast Raleigh Elementary.
- Remove recommendation to assign some students at Highcroft Drive Elementary and Weatherstone Elementary to Green Hope Elementary.
- Remove recommendation to move some Davis Drive Middle students to East Cary Middle.
- Remove recommendation to move some students in Kingswood Elementary base to West Cary Middle. They would remain at Reedy Creek Middle.
- Remove recommendation to assign some Martin Middle students to Reedy Creek Middle.
- A portion of the Reedy Creek Middle base proposed to attend West Cary Middle will now be proposed to attend East Cary Middle.
- The grandfathering rules for middle school students are proposed to change. Under Draft 3, 7th and 8th graders assigned to an existing school, i.e. not the new Alston Ridge Middle, would be eligible to grandfather.
- Remove recommendation to assign portion of Sanderson High base attendance area to Southeast Raleigh Magnet High.
- Staff continues to recommend that Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle open as multi-track year-round schools. This is to provide additional student capacity in a heavily populated area.
- Students assigned to Parkside Elementary would have the opportunity to apply to Powell Magnet Elementary or Pleasant Grove Elementary. Powell students would be eligible for neighborhood transportation. Pleasant Grove students would be eligible for express transportation.