UPDATE SEPT. 18 - Draft 2

• The school board received Draft 2 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal on Tuesday, Sept. 18.

Look up your address to see your proposed assignment in Draft 2 of the proposal. 

Here are the main changes recommended in Draft 2:

• The following neighborhoods would remain based at Cedar Fork Elementary and West Cary Middle instead of being assigned to Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle School:
    • Families in the Parkside Elementary base attendance area would have the option to apply to Pleasant Grove Elementary as a traditional calendar application school, as well as Powell Magnet Elementary. Under this proposal, Pleasant Grove calendar application students would not receive district transportation while Powell students would. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A portion of the Poe Elementary base would be assigned to the new Southeast Raleigh Elementary. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • The Draft 1 proposal for all students in the Southeast Raleigh Elementary base attendance area to be assigned to Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High will be phased in, instead of happening immediately. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A downtown Raleigh area assigned to Turner Creek Elementary would be assigned to Conn Elementary, Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High beginning 2019-20. Draft 1 had recommended making this change in 2020-21. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

Other considerations

We have received a good deal of feedback online regarding some of the proposed changes.

We are not recommending any additional changes at this time, but our staff is continuing to review information regarding proposed assignments from Davis Drive Middle to East Cary Middle and from Mills Park Elementary and Middle to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle (Cameron Pond neighborhood.)

Today’s presentation contains staff responses to the proposed changes that have prompted the most feedback. 

What happens next?

Parents can continue to share their feedback on this forum.

We also have scheduled four public meetings where parents will have an opportunity to learn more information and share feedback in person.

Please note that each of these meetings will have a specific topic focus. Please attend the meeting regarding the proposal that applies to you. If you attend a meeting focused on a topic that does not affect you, there will be student assignment staff available to help answer your questions.

• Sept. 24 - Cary High School, 638 Walnut St., Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to East Cary and West Cary Middle schools, as well as proposed calendar application school changes.
    • Sept. 26 - Wakefield Middle School, 2300 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh - TOPIC: Proposed assignments to relieve overcrowding at Heritage High School.
    • Oct. 3 - Panther Creek High School - 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to Alston Ridge Middle School and Parkside Elementary School.
    • Oct. 1 - Apex High School (Green Level campus) - 7600 Roberts Road, Cary - TOPIC: The opening of the new Green Level High School. Information will be presented about likely academic and extracurricular offerings in the first years of the school.

Draft 3 will be presented to the board on Oct. 16, and the board will then begin working toward a final plan. A vote is expected on Nov. 20. View full timeline.

Draft 1 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal was released on Aug. 21.

This is the beginning of a community discussion about the best ways to fill new schools opening in 2019 and to make the best use of existing school facilities. We are committed to ensuring that every child in Wake County attends an excellent school, no matter where they live.

We strive for a collaborative and transparent process. On this forum, we encourage you to find the topic thread that applies to you, then ask questions and provide feedback. School district staff and board members monitor this site regularly.

We will be able to respond directly to questions of process or clarification. We will answer more detailed questions in a frequently asked questions document.

Small2_alston_ridge_for_web

Address: 120 Winding Pine Trail, Cary

Proposed Calendar: Year-Round

Size: 3-story 81 classrooms

Share your feedback about Alston Ridge Middle below.

362 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Bootstrap_10104993308591378
Andrea Short 2 months ago

Please consider making Alston Ridge Middle School a traditional calendar school. Our family lives in the Carpenter Village neighborhood. For years, our neighborhood has not really had a traditional calendar elementary school option. Many families, including ours, have applied for transfers to traditional calendar elementary schools and been denied. We've been happy at Carpenter Elementary School but looked forward to our children attending a traditional calendar middle school for various reasons.

I'd like to share one such important reason for our family. Overnight summer camp has become an integral part of our children's cultural education and development, and they've so looked forward to the time when they can enjoy camp for the full session rather than having to leave early and miss out on the last days/week of camp.

My sense is that in western Wake County there is a strong desire for traditional calendar schools and hope you will consider opening Alston Ridge Middle School on a traditional calendar.

29 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

Hi Andrea. Page 31 of the Draft 1 presentation shows the data related to opening Alston Ridge Middle as year-round versus traditional. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30653 K-8 calendar alignment is a factor, but the primary driver is the 312 additional students Alston Ridge could accommodate as a year-round. As you know this is a high-growth area. That additional capacity would provide more relief to the crowded schools in the area and make room for the growth we know is coming in the near future. Hope this answers your question!

21 Votes
Default_avatar
Maha Manikkam about 1 month ago

We live in the Evan's Farm neighborhood and we are not happy with our base school being moved from Mills Park Middle to Alston Ridge Middle. We are an 8 plus year established community that has had Mills Park Middle as its base school. We understand that there are new communities sprouting all across west Cary. Our question is why are newer commumities assigned Mills Park and we are being moved to Alston Ridge and West Cary as a calendar option. This is totally unfair. New Vommunities can be assigned new schools and older communities can be just following their old base schools. We are a 50 plus strong community that is preparing a petition to retain Mills Park Middle as our base school. Please let us know how to create a separate thread where we can voice our opposition to getting a nee base middle school.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
GC Haisty about 1 month ago

Matt, the team needs to plan better for growth than this. Yet another mish-mash of schedules does not increase the welfare of our community, nor provide sufficient benefits to the students. Make it traditional calendar, please.

The lack of a cohesive plan for Wake county schools has been the single worst aspect of living in this county, and we would greatly appreciate a vision that works better than this.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Lauderdale 2 months ago

West Cary Middle has a traditional calendar and is available for students assigned to Alston Ridge Middle but prefer a traditional calendar.

22 Votes
Default_avatar
Geneva Yourse 2 months ago

We have been recently proposed to go to Alston Rigde. We love year-round schools so we can take vacations in the off season. That saves so much money for our family!

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Ankit Chansoriya 2 months ago

Our son has been going to East Cary for past 3 years as there was no nearby school that had the capacity. Travel time to school is a big problem and that's why Alston Ridge needs to be year-round to accommodate students who live in the proximity to the school so that they don't have to travel for 45 mins each way each day.

23 Votes

Default_avatar
Holly Wittenborn about 1 month ago

West Cary is currently full. Having an "option" which will likely be denied is not actually an option.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Lauderdale about 1 month ago

Holly, West Cary Middle will have a traditional calendar and will be an option for students assigned to Alston Ridge Middle but prefer a traditional calendar. West Cary is currently full TODAY but that will change due to the opening of Alston Ridge Middle in 2019! For example, Breckinridge is a huge neighborhood that is currently assigned to West Cary but that assignment changes for the 2019-2020 school year. Breckenridge is being assigned to Alston Ridge Middle and that will open up significant capacity at West Cary Middle. Therefore, for families that do not want their base middle school (Alston Ridge Middle) there will be the option to apply to West Cary Middle for calendar/vacation reasons. So, this is a realistic option in 2019. Does that make sense?

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Karen Smit 2 months ago

Please consider how long our kids would be on the bus to attend West Cary. From my house, it's 25 min away, not factoring in traffic or bus stops to pick up/drop off kids. We would be looking at at least 45 min to 1 hour each way. I would be thrilled if they let us keep Mills Park as a traditional option, since its right down the street. Why isn't that even an option? Plus, I've tried transferring calendars to the other "option" and it's not as easy as it seems. We were denied Hortons Creek all the way through the appeals process and my son could walk there.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa Sturtzel 2 months ago

I am very excited to see Kitts Creek neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community.

51 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth OConnor 2 months ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you for moving Kitts Creek from East Cary to ARM. It just seemed crazy to have to trek our kids so far for so long. Thank you for listening to our please and for allowing us parents to be more involved in our kids' school. I also want to thank you for making the unpopular choice to make this a year-round school, in order to accommodate the most kids. It would just be fiscally irresponsible to make one more new school out here traditional and have to open already over max capacity. You are brave and I thank you. Thank you for using our tax money wisely and for getting more kids into schools that are closer!!!!

46 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth OConnor 2 months ago
  • pleas not please :(
3 Votes

Default_avatar
Chintan Dhangdhariya 2 months ago

I am very excited to see Kitts Creek neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community. Year round school saves so much money to county it makes sense to have year round school for high density area.

46 Votes

Default_avatar
Mitul Shah 2 months ago

I am very happy the way school board has proposed school assignment. I like the idea of if an elementary is traditional then the middle school is traditional and if elementary is year around then middle school is year around as well. I am glad that the school board understands that proximity takes priority over anything. I am very happy to know that kids from our neighborhood do not have to travel 45 minutes one-way to go to middle school. This is a big relief for student and parents. Thank you very much for listening to the feedback from our community.

37 Votes

Default_avatar
Srikanth Valluru 2 months ago

A Very Big Thanks to Board for listening to Kitts Creek residents PLEAS....Proximity schools for any neighborhood are essential so that the kids can spend more time on their curriculum activities or personal interests (like games) or even further spending time with family. Kitts Creek kids were missing big part specially on the middle school to bus the kids to East Cary which was very very far away. We would be very much thankful to board to have the assignments decided to be final...

46 Votes

Default_avatar
Srikanth Valluru 2 months ago

We vouch proximity schools rather than any preference for calendar based. Though I personally like Traditional calendar BUT I very much welcome my kid to go to YR if YR is more closer to go. I have seen that there are options for Traditional schools for families interested for Traditional.

24 Votes
Default_avatar
Vidya DassAkkisetty about 1 month ago

You did ? Don't you live in Kitts Creek but your child goes to Cedar Fork ? How did you get into Cedar Fork since the school has been capped for 8 years and has not been Kitts Creek based nor calendar option for nine years ?

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10157689453876040
Cathy Norton 2 months ago

Kitts Creek truly appreciates having a traditional elementary and middle school near to our neighborhood. This is such welcome and happy news! Our kids will benefit from a shorter ride and have a bit more sleep in the am when it is needed. Thank you for hearing us and for accommodating our request for the best of everyone in the community!

32 Votes
Default_avatar

We appreciate your support. Did want to clarify that Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle are both proposed to be year-round calendar schools.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Radhika Gupta 2 months ago

Can't wait to see Alston Ridge Middle being assigned for Kitts Creek. Commuting will be much easier and save a lot of time for both parents and little kids. Thank you for hearing us and looking forward to a great community.

41 Votes

Default_avatar
Sarah Chun 2 months ago

Fingers crossed that the YR proposal becomes YR reality. Alston Ridge YR will be able to serve more kids, save budget dollars, and improve proximity for so many families. This is a huge step in the right direction.

37 Votes

Default_avatar
Ankit Chansoriya 2 months ago

Thank you very much for changing the school assignments for Kitts Creek. I truly appreciate it. The decision to make Alston Ridge a year around school is the right decision. It serves the need of our growing community better as it can accommodate more students and now students won't have to travel for 45 mins each way every day. Again, thank you very much!

41 Votes

Default_avatar
Megan Katz 2 months ago

Thank you for listening to Kitts Creek's request for more proximate school. While my family would be happy with either calendar, it makes the most fiscal sense to open as a year round school to serve as many students as possible. Don't change a thing!

39 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth ColeWalker 2 months ago

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! It is a great relief to have both base elementary and middle school for Carpenter Village a year-round schedule. Parents do not have to worry about dealing with a split schedule, but we have come to love the year-round calendar. Despite starting school in the summer months, our daughter still gets to go to sleep away Girl Scout camp and participates in HOA swim team. The calendar with the set track out time allows the kids to get a break, families to take trips, but academics still continue consistently.

Please do not change this. It will be a great decision to accommodate growth and elevates the headache of going through hoops to get elementary and middle school age kids on the same schedule. Although I think High Schoolers are more self-sufficient, hope year round might come for this stage too in the future.

Many thanks to the school boards decision and excited about breaking in a brand new school!

34 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Breva 2 months ago

13.2. That is how many miles you are saving families on the Church Street corridor not having to trek to East Cary Middle School and that is just the amount for one-way. You are saving families hours of fighting rush hour traffic from a major employment center to go to after school activities at East Cary. You are helping kids be able to sign up for after-school activities that could not have done before since their working parents could not leave early enough to make it work for pick-up. 13.2 miles closer to pick up a sick child. 13.2 miles closer to meet with a teacher. 13.2 miles closer to volunteer at the school. This will make a world of difference to families. It fulfills the assignment pillar of proximity. We all know WCPSS has limited resources and YR allows those resources to be stretched. This fulfills the pillar of operational efficiency in our rapidly growing area. Thank you for seeing these families matter. I hope this brings stability to our neighborhoods. So many have moved thinking our area did not matter.

36 Votes

Default_avatar
Ekta Chansoriya 2 months ago

THANK YOU! A BIG THANK YOU TO WAKE COUNTY for reassigning KITTS CREEK to Alston Ridge Middle and Alston Ridge Elementary. Not only this would solve proximity issue to hundreds of kids but also it's the best way to utilize limited resources by accommodating more kids into these schools. I also like the idea of making EAST CARY TRADITIONAL CALENDAR, so that families who don't want ARM to go year-around can choose East Cary for traditional calendar option.

35 Votes

Default_avatar
Bindu Chaudhary 2 months ago

A huge Thank you for making Alston Ridge Middle a year round school. It can accommodate so many more kids than the traditional option. We have to send out kids to magnet schools and very long bus rides have become part of their routine. We truly appreciate you listening to the community and considering this option. Kitts Creek community as a whole is truly thankful to you.

37 Votes

Default_avatar
Vidya Murthy 2 months ago

My daughter, attended Alston Ridge elementary since Kindergarten and graduated now. She's rising 6th grader and her base middle school is Mills Park Middle. We're happy that we are finally getting into traditional calendar school. We always wanted traditional option. But all of them were either capped or were not in our base. When given chance many schools around the area did turn into traditional, but ARE went from single track to multi track. Its exiting to see Alston Middle school coming up soon. We were waiting for this to happen from long time! We were terribly in need of Middle school in this vicinity. But why make it a year-round? It does not solve the problem! If you want ease the crowd on Mill Park Middle, Alston Middle School has to be traditional calendar, because most of us naturally prefer traditional and it is most popular choice vs year around option. Reassignment would be smooth and least resistance between 2 traditional schools as against the opposites. Bottom line, we definitely want Alston Ridge Middle to be a traditional calendar, and it is the better option for this surrounding area.

10 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Vidya. Thank you for sharing your feedback. Staff is recommending opening Alston Ridge Middle as a year-round both because of high growth in the area and because it aligns with year-round elementary schools in the area, i.e. Alston Ridge Elementary and the new Parkside Elementary. As you know, multi-track year-round calendars increase the capacity of a school building. In the case of Alston Ridge Middle, the year-round calendar would accommodate 312 additional students over traditional. See page 28 in today's presentation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30653

16 Votes
Default_avatar
Vidya Murthy 2 months ago

If Alston Ridge Middle, being multi-track year- round can accommodate more kids, then its more than welcome!. But, we prefer our daughter in traditional calendar. I guess my daughter will be in 7th grade in Mills Park Middle by the time Alston Ridge Middle gets its start. The question is, if she is reassigned to our base school(Alston Ridge Middle) can keep the school (Mills Park Middle) based on calendar school option and skip the reassignment?

0 Votes

Andrea Short 2 months ago

Matt, is there data to support the need to make ARMS year round? I've seen a lot of people saying ARMS needs to be year round to accommodate more students, and I understand that. But I wonder if it is necessary to make the school YR to accommodate the proposed base area, or is aligning the calendars with the feeding elementary schools driving the decision? It sounds like proximity, not aligning calendars, is the primary driver of parent concerns/gratitude on this thread, and that in many cases aligning calendars is a lesser priority. I have three children and know at some point my children's calendars will not align.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa Miller about 1 month ago

Yes, I would love to see the data as well since that's not how it was originally slated and now there is also a proposal to make East Cary a traditional calendar at the same time due to under enrollment.

And please keep in mind that there were always be some families that NEED the traditional calendar middle school to match the calendar of their older children since high schools are traditional. So while I like the idea of year round it gets tricky when you have more than one child.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Wake County doesn't have enough capacity in this booming area. West Cary Middle has a traditional calendar and is available for students assigned to Alston Ridge Middle but prefer a traditional calendar.

13 Votes
Default_avatar

As long as they can guarantee the traditional calendar option for those that need it (think older kids in the family in high school) then I'm OK with it being yr. However, that isn't always how it works and parents end up with kids on multiple calendars which is a NIGHTMARE. And honestly I'm a bit leery of how popular / needed a year round middle school is when they want to make East Cary a traditional school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Orsolya Kocsis 2 months ago

Thank you for reassigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Elementary and Middle Schools! This is a growing area and the only option is to make schools year around, so more kids can attend schools closer to their homes!

37 Votes

Default_avatar
Karen Smit 2 months ago

I am so disappointed that Alston Ridge Middle school is slotted for year round. Our family has been juggling 2 different calendars going on three years and we were so excited to finally have our kids on the same calendar. We have tried applying for Hortons Creek, but were denied multiple times - even though two different calendars is supposed to be an exception to allow for a school change, we were still denied. My son is now in 5th grade and we have seen on the construction site for Alston Middle that it would be a traditional calendar, so we thought we were almost done. Now, according to this, our only traditional school option would be West Cary, which is very far away. I'm not sure that people truly understand the affect on a family with two different calendars. It is extremely difficult to coordinate any time for the family to be together with the exception of major holidays. Please, please, please reconsider making Alston Ridge Middle school a traditional calendar, or give us the option to attend Mills Park Middle School.

12 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Karen. I hear you. The problem is Mills Park Middle is already overcrowded and in a high-growth area, meaning there are many more new students to come. In other words, there is barely enough room for current and future base students, let alone calendar application students. Please see page 31 of today's presentation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30653

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Gordon Chen about 1 month ago

Hi Matt and Karen, I am a late comer and just found this thread most relevant to our situation hence jumping in cold-call nature. Later on I plan to start a new series with detailed personal information. Like Karen and several other fellow parents, we are mostly concerned about YR designation of Alston Ridge MS and distance to back up traditional choice in west Cary. We live in Olde Carpenter. What upsets me the most additionally is that our neighborhood unfortunately had to be TWO YEARS IN A ROW in similar discussion about disheartening enrollment changes! We did not move into this area for a yearly struggle like this. Sorry about the pessimistic tone!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Arzu Williams about 1 month ago

Karen kids from Horton Creek elementary feed into MPMS both traditional calendar. it just makes more sense to feel Alston Ridge Elemenary into Alston Ridge Middle both on year round calendar. it is too much to change this around because of kids. WCPSS thank you for being so thoughtful when developing this draft proposal. Very happy with this! Plus majority prefers traditional calendar, therefore year round Alston ridge can be optional for folks who are based for MPMS but want to remain on year round

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Karen Smit 2 months ago

So...using this logic, wouldn't it make more sense for Mills Park Midlle to be on a year round schedule as well? Wouldn't a year round calendar accommodate more growth as well as the local families wanting to attend the school closer to home?

9 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Karen. The reason staff is recommending opening Alston Ridge Middle as a year-round is both because of high growth in the area and because a year-round middle school would align with year-round elementary schools in the area, i.e. Alston Ridge Elementary and the new Parkside Elementary. As you know, multi-track year-round calendars increase the capacity of a school building. In the case of Alston Ridge Middle, the year-round calendar would accommodate 312 additional students over traditional. See page 28 in today's presentation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30653 In short, we need schools in this part of the district to serve as many students as possible to accommodate present and future growth.

14 Votes
Default_avatar
Tatia Markland 2 months ago

Matt, I think Karen and others in this thread raise a good point: for neighborhoods who are currently assigned Davis Drive MS or Mills Park MS but would be assigned to Alston Ridge MS next year, why not make make Davis Drive or Mills Park their traditional calendar option? It seems like that would support the stability and proximity pillars better than West Cary MS for many of these neighborhoods.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Karen Smit 2 months ago

Matt,
I do understand the need for the schools to accommodate the growth. I also understand the need for year round schools. What I don't understand is why the traditional option for my family is so far away. Should my son even be accepted through the transfer process, he would be spending a large amount of his day in transportation to and from West Cary. Mills Park is much closer and has been our school for years - my daughter goes there now. To not even allow families in this area to have Mills Park as an option is a disservice to our community.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Shilpa Kothari about 1 month ago

Why punish established resident to make room for new growth. Do not uproot those that have already invested in homes hoping for tradition schools in their neighborhood. Propose this plan for those new incoming residents that have a choice on where they may buy a home based on the new school zone.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Steven Kerick 2 months ago

I am very excited to see Kitts Creek neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! These schools are close to our neighborhood and this is what we have been asking for!

35 Votes

Default_avatar
Nikhil Parekh 2 months ago

Thank you WCPSS for assigning our homes in Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Elementary and Middle schools for the school year 2019-2020. We very much appreciate it. The daily commute to East Cary Middle School in the Morrisville traffic was causing hardship for many families and the commute to Alston Ridge Middle will be much more manageable and our kids will have to spend less time commuting. I know many kids will appreciate attending schools closer to home. Thank you again!

35 Votes

Default_avatar
Kim Shepard 2 months ago

Thank you so much for assigning Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community & being fiscally responsible by making the school year round. Proximity is key to having more student and parent involvement. This will benefit our children tremendously. Thank you again!!

33 Votes

Default_avatar
Susy Lewis 2 months ago

Thank you for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge. My daughter is currently a 5th grader at Carpenter Elementary. The commute (in heavy traffic) to and from school each day was a huge concern for us because both parents are working and the school bus pick-up time at 6:20am seemed excessive. While we personally prefer year-round calendar, we would have been fine with traditional calendar as well because proximity was a larger concern. The commute time would have limited her involvement in any extra-curricular activities. Year-round calendar is the right choice for Alston Ridge because it benefits more students in this area of Wake County, which is growing so rapidly. Again, Thank You!

35 Votes

Default_avatar
Yamilka Cranford 2 months ago

I agree with Susy. Year-round calendar is the right choice for Alston Ridge Middle School because it benefits more students in this area of Wake County, which is growing so rapidly. Thank you!

30 Votes

Default_avatar
Gina Ketchuck 2 months ago

I am so happy to see that Kitts Creek is assigned to ARM. We have looked into moving multiple times just purely due to the proximity of the current middle school. I know there are several people that want traditional but year round in this highly populated area which is continuing to grow makes the most sense logistically to alleviate the need to ship our children across town and allow more students to be assigned to closer schools. Thank you for thinking about the quality of life for our children and what is ultimately the best for a growing area!!

32 Votes

Default_avatar

The entire 2019-2020 plan was well crafted. As a tax payer who supports the bond referendum, thanks for making Alston Ridge Middle a year-round school to maximize capacity in a booming part of the county. Thanks for assigning Kitts Creek to a nearby middle school!

35 Votes

Bootstrap_10156559011919508
Kiersten Williams 2 months ago

We were very disappointed to see that the current proposal has Cameron Pond rezoned to Alston Ridge Middle from Mills Park Middle. With the greenway being built to connect our neighborhood to Mills Park schools, our family was looking forward to being able to bike/walk to school. As Wake County schools encourage active lifestyles for their students, it would be nice to be able to spend less time on a school bus and more time using the greenway to get to school.

15 Votes
Default_avatar
Emily Shay 2 months ago

comment...I agree with you Kiersten. I'm confused because subdivisions like Amberly are still going to MPMS and are closer to ARM than we are in Cameron Pond. It makes no sense to move a subdivision that is so close to the school to a school farther away and have farther away subdivisions stay at MP.

10 Votes
Default_avatar
FNU SHAILENDRA about 1 month ago

Could not understand why we are forced to keep crossing roads? Amberly people has to cross Green Level and Cameron Pond people has to cross whole busy hwy 55 and railway crossing.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Carlos Toledo 2 months ago

Thanks for assigning the Kitts Creek community to ARM. It not only makes sense geographically, but also logistically. This area has grown exponentially in the past decade and based on all the ongoing construction, it's not stopping any time soon.

I believe proximity to the school will help better environment for the kids. The parents will be able to be more involved in school activities, volunteering or even drop in for lunch.

Assigning the Kitts Creek community to any other school would impact the kids by spending too much time commuting, would limit the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities or even cultivate relationships with their classmates from a different town.

32 Votes

Default_avatar

Thanks WCPSS for standing up to its 2 prominent pillars (operational efficiency, proximity) . It's a huge relief for our neighborhood kids to attend ARE, ARM which doesn't need a 30-45 mins bus drive. Thanks again

25 Votes

Default_avatar
Avanthi Rachamallu 2 months ago

Thank you so much for reconsidering the proximity pillar and assigning Kitts creek Alston Ridge Middle School. It will take down a great burden on families with Middle school children who have to juggle bussing or driving long distances just to get to school.

31 Votes

Default_avatar
Charles Swannack 2 months ago

What growth data was taken into account with the decisions in the Alston Ridge assignment? While I appreciate the K-8 stability approach taken in NW Cary as well as the proximity of Alston Ridge the assignment of Carpenter Village to Alston Ridge does not seem like it will hold long term. From the growth at Ferrel Farms, Brickyard and Alston Town Center and other continued developments moving this assignment from the east to the west over the emerging developments only adds to the long term uncertainty I have for my family’s assignment. It appears this growth was taken into consideration for the year round calendar decision for Alston Ridge, but not in the long term stability of the neighborhood assignments. While north of Morrisville Carpenter Road will have hundreds of homes built in the next one to three years adding to the Alston Ridge base, there is extremely limited growth to the south and the current assignment area for Davis Drive and Green Hope High School growth has been far more tempered.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Bhasker Patlolla 2 months ago

We live in Indian Wells community on Indian Wells Rd and are very disappointed to see the middle school being reassigned to "Alston RIdge Middle". We would like a traditional calendar option as our daughter is in elementary school in traditional calendar.

The traditional option for us is "West Cary", which is far away and commute there takes close to 55 minutes based on the bus route that i am seeing.

We would really appreciate if you retain "Mills Park middle" as an option. Proximity to the school will help the students manage their time better, instead of spending their time on the bus

20 Votes
Default_avatar
Vinod Kumar Dhanaraj 2 months ago

We live in Indian Wells community in Cary and I agree with Bhasker's comments. The proposed " West Cary" traditional option is far away. Would really appreciate if you could retain Mills Park MS as per current assignment or include Davis Drive Middle school as another option which would be at a closer proximity to our community. Another alternative is to change Alston Ridge to a traditional option.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Cathy Mural 2 months ago

I am posting this on behalf of my Mom, Jo-Ann Mural, who is not so computer savvy - "I am a retired teacher and grandmother of two boys from the Kitts Creek community. Thank you to the WCPSS school board and Student Assignment Office and staff for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Middle School. As an educator for over 20 years, I know the value of family engagement in supporting teachers' efforts to educate their students - especially under shrinking budget funding and changing academic requirements. I also know how important after school activities can be for some students to develop supportive school relationships that they could not find otherwise. This is why assignment to a proximate base school is so important to families like mine in Kitts Creek. Thank you for listening to us. Thank you for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Middle School. Please include this language in the final draft enrollment plan."

35 Votes

Default_avatar
Ravi Dukkipati 2 months ago

I would like to extend my appreciation to WCPSS team for the hard work and hurdles that you go through in making tough decisions for student assignments. Today's draft shows that Proximity was also considered as one of the pillars, which I personally feel was missing from your previous student assignment decisions. With population of Wake County growing every day, there is a definite need for more schools or to fit more students in existing schools. Based on the current situation, I think ARM going year round was the right choice as my kids don't have to go million miles every day when there are other schools close by. I know today's presentation was just a draft and I hope that Proximity of the schools would be looked at as one of the IMPORTANT pillars when making any changes to the draft before it is finalized. Once again THANK YOU very much for the job well done.

26 Votes

Default_avatar
Kristen Lemke 2 months ago

I also live in Cameron Pond and am extremely disappointed to be reassigned from Mills Park Elementary and Middle schools to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle. According to the presentation published today it appears that Carpenter is at the same utilization percentage as MPE. I didn't see any usage info for other schools in our area such as Horton's Creek, which is also on a traditional calendar like MPE.

Additionally we were looking forward to using the greenway that will connect our neighborhood to the Mills Park schools. The greenway will allow a reasonable walking/biking distance for older elementary and middle school-aged students.

The logic behind being assigned West Cary Middle as our traditional-calendar choice for middle school is unclear, as it's over 5 miles away. It seems more in line with the physical fitness goals outlined in the school board's policy on student wellness to allow our kids to walk the short distance than spend more time sitting on a bus. Isn't there still a shortage of bus drivers?

We moved to this neighborhood because of Mills Park schools and we've met the cap requirements. I understand there is no guarantee of a school assignment but in looking at distances and the usage numbers provided in the slide deck, I'm just not seeing the benefit to either the schools or the students with the new assignment.

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Cathy Mural 2 months ago

Thank you to the WCPSS school board and Student Assignment Office for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Middle School! This is game changing for my family and Kitts Creek. With this assignment, Kitts Creek students can actually be part of a middle school community and pursue after school activities which they don't do now because of the onerous traffic and commute times. Parents will no longer find their middle school impossibly inaccessible to them because of the prohibitive traffic and distance. Our base school will be OUR school where my kids can be invested instead of just passing the time in classrooms and long bus rides. And I very much appreciate being able to get to school for conferences, volunteering and activities without spending 45 minutes one way to get there every single time. Thank you for listening and responding to our concerns and needs in this draft. Please include assignment of Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Middle School in the final draft of the 2019-20 enrollment plan!

32 Votes

Default_avatar
Shilen Patel 2 months ago

Thank you so much for the assignment changes for Kitts Creek. I'm excited to see our neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle Schools. Proximity has been a huge issue for many families and this will truly benefit their lives.

31 Votes

Default_avatar
Donna Fender 2 months ago

Thank you so much for assigning the Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge Elem and Alston Ridge Middle! This makes so much more sense than our children trekking a half an hour to the other side of Cary for middle school. Thank you for listening to our voices. :)

31 Votes

Default_avatar
Christopher Champagne 2 months ago

While watching the presentation yesterday it became clear to me that this plan was thoroughly thought out to balance the interests of the students with the needs of the community. I appreciate you making ARM a year round school so that my kids would not have to get up at 5:45 each morning to be bused all the way across the county (all so some people could take 2 month summer vacations!!! What a ludicrous proposition!). The decisions made here have real life impacts on a large amount of Wake County citizens and I am confident that the process you took created an improvement. Thank you for listening!

32 Votes

Default_avatar
walter sulym 2 months ago

Thank you for listening and assigning the Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge and making the choice for a YR calendar. Maximizing capacity and allowing for proximity. Well done.

30 Votes

Default_avatar
Regina Lewis 2 months ago

Love to see Alston Ridge MS for the Kitts Creek kids as year round. E Cary MS way too far and long compute!

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Pamela Brezinski 2 months ago

Thank you for making ARM a year round school to maximize the enrollment. This is a fiscally prudent decision and addresses the issue of proximity for neighborhoods like Kitts Creek and Providence Place (among others) whose families have been facing excessively long bus rides/commutes, both of which have substantially hampered student experience and family engagement. This is a game-changer for our students and will make a real difference for so many Morrisville families. Thank you for putting students first and pro-actively addressing our needs.

33 Votes

Default_avatar
Rupali Tayal 2 months ago

Our address is proposed to be assigned to Alston Ridge MS from West Cary MS. I am happy for everyone who fought for this change, BUT unfortunately this is disappointing for our household. We already have a high schooler who will be on traditional calendar. I want to understand how difficult the transfer application process is going to be, if I want to apply for my younger one to go West Cary in 2019 (6th grade)? Thank you.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lavanya Sadasivan 2 months ago

Thankyou WCPSS for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge middle. My daughter starts middle school next year and was worried about the very long commute to East Cary, nearly 14 miles. Thanks again for taking into consideration the need for proximate schools.

27 Votes

Default_avatar
Casey Kiefer 2 months ago

A huge thank you to the school board for assigning Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge Middle school based on your pillar of proximity. I also applaud you for looking closely at the numbers and determining that a year round calendar was needed for this already overcrowded area. Thank you for doing what is best for the kids, and for being responsible with the limited resources WCPSS has in terms of land and funding. WELL DONE board members!

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Rajasekhar Rayapeddi 2 months ago

Thank you WCPSS for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle schools. Very happy to see the move for Middle school from East Cary to Alston Ridge Middle as it avoids longer commute for the kids.. Thank you.

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Donna Kostandy 2 months ago

Thank you WCPSS for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Middle! We are so happy to not have to put our kids on hour long bus rides each way. Thank you for hearing our concerns and acting on them! Thank you for ensuring that this area of which is seeing a population growth is maximizing resources to accommodate by using the year round calendar. Just Thank you!!! Well Done Board!!!

29 Votes

Default_avatar
Cheryl Vo 2 months ago

Thank you for proposing to reassign Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Middle School. The closer proximity to home means that I can volunteer more and be more active in the school community. It also means that my children will not have to spend valuable time commuting.

We are all advocates working to provide the best educational experience for the children of this community. A shorter commute is only one small, but very critical, part of that. Thank you again.

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Prashanth Prakash 2 months ago

Hello WCPSS, Thank you for listening and assigning Kitscreek to ARM. Proximity schools for any neighborhood are essential for the kids and their families. Thank you for reinstating this value and belief.

24 Votes

Default_avatar
Susan Wilhelm 2 months ago

While we are enthusiastic about being reassigned to a closer middle school, we wish ARMS would be on a traditional calendar. Next year our family will have one in 9th grade and another in 6th grade, potentially on two different calendars for the next 3 years. While we can request a transfer to West Cary for a traditional calendar, that school is far away, and having been at ECMS for our 3rd year now, we know the challenges that come from being assigned to a school that is not close. How does track assignment work in a new school with students coming from several other schools on different tracks? Can we keep our assigned track, or request a different track? Track assignment becomes very important when dealing with a traditional and year-round calendar in the same family.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

We have added a separate thread about proposed assignment changes from Davis Drive Middle to East Cary Middle. https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/2019-20-student-enrollment-proposal/topics/feedback-about-davis-drive-to-east-cary-proposal

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Calah Young 2 months ago

My daughter is attending DDMS for 6th...and then slated make a switch to AMS for 7th-8th. What if I adamantly do not want her to switch schools? We specifically did our research on schools and purchased a house this year that would ensure our daughter could attend DDMS. I don't feel it's in the best interest of my daughter's education to be flipping from school to school and I do not want to purchase another house to keep her at DDMS. Is there an option to grandfather once you've started in a particular school?

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

Hi Calah. Sorry I missed this. Here is the grandfathering policy. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654 Only students who would be rising 8th graders in 2019-20 would be allowed to grandfather under this policy.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Calah Young about 1 month ago

I'll ask again: what if I'm adamant that my daughter stay at DDMS, because I am? Not only did I just purposefully drop half a mil on a house in a DDMS neighborhood, but I also absolutely do not want her to only attend a school for just 1 year to turn around and switch to another school the following year. I believe 110+% that this will have a negative impact on her education and we should be given a choice in the matter or we should have been given more advanced notification than 1 week before she started 6th grade so other arrangements could have been made. There's no way I would have sent her to a school knowing she'd only be there for 1 year. I don't believe the grandfathering policy is in the best interest of students who have already put down roots in a school. If decisions are being made based in the best interest of students, the grandfathering policy doesn't make much sense. Perhaps a more direct question would be...how can one cordially fight this proposal to stay in their current school?

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Calah. This forum is the place to state your opposition to the proposal in Draft 1. Revisions will be made prior to Draft 2 being released on Sept. 18. After that there will be another online forum and public information sessions, which will be announced soon. Further revisions will be made and Draft 3 will be submitted to the board. There will be a public hearing on Oct. 30 to address the board directly. The board is scheduled to approve the final plan on Nov. 20. If you are dissatisfied with your assignment in the final plan, you can either apply to a magnet or calendar application school in January, or submit a hardship transfer request in late February/early March to stay at Davis Drive. These are granted in rare circumstances. You can learn more about the process here. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33766 Hope this helps.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Please note my opposition to the proposal in Draft 1...in bold, underlined and all caps.

4 Votes

Bootstrap_10102654119165911
Naomi Levinthal 2 months ago

Thank you for keeping the Amberly neighborhood in the Mills Park Middle zone. We all just last year had to adjust from year-round to traditional as part of the Hortons Creek opening, and it is so great to see we can maintain that traditional calendar stability now from elementary on through.

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Emily Shay 2 months ago

I also live in the Cameron Pond neighborhood and chose that neighborhood for Mills Park Middle. My daughter will be a rising 8th grader next year and we would like to keep her there to finish out her middle school years. Although I know she can be grandfathered in, I will not have transportation. As a family with two working parents, we need the transportation. My confusion lies with why are subdivisions such as Amberly that is closer to ARM than MP still slated for MP? And Cameron Pond who is having a greenway connected to MP so clearly much closer slated for ARM? I'd like to ask that Cameron Pond stay designated for Mills Park for the fact of proximity to the school.

17 Votes
Default_avatar
Gregory Ng 2 months ago

Cameron Pond may be closer as the crow flies but when you factor in the driving distance, Amberly Village Square is (in many cases) 0.4 to 0.7 miles closer than Cameron Pond to MPMS. A bus can't drive on a walking path. Just trying to make sense of the rationale.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Sarah Grimsrud 2 months ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you, WCPSS for your difficult work in developing the 2019-20 student enrollment proposal! The base school assignments clearly reflect the Four Pillars - Achievement, Stability, Efficiency, and Proximity. Your thoughtful deliberations reflect your outstanding service to the citizens of Wake County.

Please, "stay the course" by keeping Kitts Creek base enrollment at Alston Ridge ES and MS!

23 Votes

Default_avatar
David Lee 2 months ago

Please consider re-mapping Cameron Pond to Mills Park Middle as it has been since MPMS opened. Our neighborhood is less than one mile from MPMS and is planned to be connected via greenway which would allow students to walk or bike to school. The Draft 1 Proposal moves us to Alston Ridge (YR) or West Cary Middle (Trad), meaning that to maintain a Trad calendar we would face a 7 mile drive rather than a < 1mi walk. And how is it that Amberly remains assigned to MPMS when we are even closer to MPMS than they are??

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Emilia Peytcheva 2 months ago

I want to join my Cameron Pond disappointed and angry neighbors in questioning how the decision to reassign Cameron Pond to Carpenter Elementary, Alston Ridge Middle and Cary West is in the best interest of our children and how it complies with the Wake County's goals on placing priority on physical exercise and wellness. As many already outlined, we will soon have a Greenway connecting us to both MPE and MPM, which will allow majority of the kids in the neighborhood to safely walk or bike to school. In addition to allowing our kids enjoy a healthy lifestyle, this will certainly alleviate the burden associated with shortage of buses and bus drivers. Also, many of the homeowners have selected Cameron Pond exactly because of its proximity to the schools and the expansion of the Greenway and have patiently waited their turn to get into MPE or MPM. What makes even less sense is that Amberly stays with Mills Park, regardless of the fact that there is no safe way to walk from there. If such a proposal were approved, not only would our kids spend 40 or more minutes on a bus (if bussed to Cary West), but their safety will be in question given such buses will have to cross major highways and busy roads during peak hours.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth ColeWalker 2 months ago

I would request that information be provided on how track assignments for middle schools will be handled. I want my elementary and middle schooler to be on the same track and do not see anything that provided that this is a consideration and will be addressed? I want year-round schools, but do think that there should be a commitment to transition all wake county schools into one calendar (year-round). Believe this would prevent sudden flip-flops, accommodate population growth, and eliminate all the stress of applying to schools based on calendar and transportation headaches.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Becky Scott 2 months ago

I agree, I will need my elementary and middle schooler on the same track as well next year.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Krishnaveni Valluru 2 months ago

Yes I am looking for that info on how the siblings are going to be accommodated in tracks ? We expect them to be in same Track....

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Prathibha Ayyappan 2 months ago

Thank you for hearing our feedback and assigning our kids to Alston Ridge Middle School. This change for our neighborhood means our middle schoolers will attend a school that is 2.5 miles away instead of 13 miles away. I am thrilled to know that kids do not have to commute 1 hour every day from/to school from next year. Thank you for assigning our kids to a school that reflects the Four pillars, mainly Proximity and Stability.

25 Votes

Default_avatar
Krishnaveni Valluru 2 months ago

Appreciate a lot WCPSS....for assigning the proximity schools...We had ES at 5 miles and MS at 16 miles....now we have ES and MS at 2.9 miles which reflects a lot in kids daily life. You can see the difference in miles from previous to current assignment....

24 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Grimsley 2 months ago

Thank you for listening to parents comments about making this school year round and leaving Alston Ridge Elementary year round. We are very excited!

23 Votes

Default_avatar

Responding to those suggesting making Davis Drive or Mills Park middle schools traditional calendar application schools: Both those schools are very overcrowded, as you can see on page 31 of the Draft 1 presentation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30653 So there aren't available seats for application students at those schools. West Cary Middle is projected to have available seats.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Tatia Markland 2 months ago

Thank you, Matt! Is new construction driving the growth of Davis Drive and Mills Park middle schools even after so many students are moved to Alston Ridge MS?

I see your point about overcrowding at Mills Park, but the current plan is actually adding some new areas to Davis Drive, with the largest addition on the west side. Was there any consideration of moving that area to Salem MS instead (which it borders) to relieve overcrowding at Davis Drive?

Attachments: ddms_expansion.png
4 Votes

Default_avatar
Tatia Markland about 1 month ago

One other question for you, Matt: If Mills Park and Davis Drive are still expected to be overcrowded despite all of these changes, and the primary purpose of the year-round calendar at Alston Ridge is to expand school capacity, why not consider changing Mills Park and/or Davis Drive to the year-round calendar?

I understand that there could be a larger outcry over this approach, but that seems objectively fairer than selectively forcing some neighborhoods currently within the school boundaries to attend different schools and locking them out of applying to their currently assigned school as a calendar option.

The logic behind reassigning students based on calendar alignment always seems to break down at some point. Many people opt out of their area's default calendar assignment, and there is always a switch for year-round students to traditional at the high school level. I am in the Carpenter Village neighborhood, and for me, proximity and stability are far more important: It would be traumatic for our child to be separated from his existing peer group in our neighborhood or to be shifted between schools, and these things would negatively impact his academic performance. It would certainly be a nuisance to switch calendars, but that doesn't compare to the consequences of proximity and stability.

Thank you for listening to our feedback and providing answers to our questions!

14 Votes
Default_avatar

What I can share about this is that the school board considered converting Mills Park elementary and middle schools to year-round calendar in 2014 and ultimately decided against it.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nicole Brooks about 1 month ago

I agree that proximity is so much more important than calendar! My 2 kids are currently in YR elementary, previously assigned to DDMS (traditional). This middle school is within walking distance of my house in Kenilworth, but draft 1 has us reassigned to East Cary, which is very far from my house plus starts 45 min earlier. I personally don't care what the calendar is as long as my kids can go to the school in my neighborhood.

3 Votes

Andrea Short about 1 month ago

Hi Matt,

Tatia makes a very astute observation. A lot has changed since 2014.

Perhaps it is time to revisit this, at least for the middle schools in the area? I wonder what the Cameron Pond families who are being moved out of MPMS to ARMS would prefer - to stay at a school they can walk to on a different calendar that might not be their first choice, or to be moved to a further school on a calendar that is not their first choice? On these forums, it seems clear that proximity and stability are primary concerns for many families, even those who are happy about the proposal as is (Kitts Creek).

I’m suggesting that perhaps families’ valuing proximity and stability rather than calendar alignment is driving reactions here, but staff’s proposal seems committed to calendar alignment for elementary and middle to the detriment of proximity and stability. Would it be possible to revisit that or at least hear feedback from impacted neighborhoods (Preston Forest, Cameron Pond, etc.) being moved to further schools whether they'd prefer to be able to stay at their existing schools on a YR calendar or be moved?

We understand tough choices need to be made but it seems that the way those are being made right now (calendar alignment above all, only new schools to open on YR calendars rather than converting existing schools) are not the only way to achieve the Board's goals. Western Wake is growing rapidly and it does seem like middle schools in particular are overcrowded. Perhaps it is time to make more of them YR.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Stewart 2 months ago

THANK YOU for listening to so many who asked for AR Middle to be YR. This area has so many YR elementary schools, and did not have a close YR middle school option. Our family lives in Carpenter Village, and we LOVE the proposed assignment, especially since it will enable both of our kids to stay on the YR calendar without requiring either of them to travel extensive distances just to get to school.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Vincent Barnett 2 months ago

Thank you for your considered enrollment plan. As residents of Kitts Creek, we're of course happy that our children will be attending ARE and ARM, even though it will mean short term pain for our current Carpenter ES student when he has to transfer next year. But of greater importance is the increased capacity these proposals will allow. We should not be playing catch up with schools that are maxing out before they're even finished. My family moved to Morrisville in '08 but have been considering moving because of the school situation. I'm happy to say that that particular burden is now much lighter. Cheers!

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Shri Rao 2 months ago

Thank you WCPSS for reassigning KC to ARE and ARM! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community. Truly appreciate it!

25 Votes

Default_avatar
Sumit Honwad 2 months ago

I am very excited to see Providence Place neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Rupa Patel 2 months ago

A huge and heartfelt THANKS to all the members of the Board for upholding the Proximity pillar in our children's' education. Studies show that when parents are involved in their kids education everyone benefits. The decisions made in the first draft of the proposal will allow me to continue to volunteer to give back to our school. Proximity will allow us to attend conferences, PTA meetings, participate in school clubs and grow our community. YR is necessary to accommodate the growth in our area. Proximity is necessary to keep neighbors in their homes. Its hard to build a strong sense of community when neighbors are constantly leaving because their children have such long bus rides on a daily basis or can't participate in extra circular activities because schools are too far and the traffic is atrocious. I do not envy you as you have very hard decisions to make for the good of our children. I applaud your initial efforts and hope that you continue to hear the community's need for closer schools.

29 Votes

Default_avatar
Kathleen Sales 2 months ago

Please accept enormous gratitude for listening to all of the parents, kids and residents of all of the neighborhoods along the Church Street corridor (Providence Place, Everett Crossing, Kitts Creek etc)! The system does work! The pillars do clearly matter. Our young children are experiencing longer commutes than many parents but now they will have a "neighborhood school". They will get more valuable sleep. They will thrive in the classroom but also in the extra activities that produce well-rounded students. They will be surrounded by the community support that comes with Proximity. Our neighborhoods will not continue to lose friends forced to relocate due to the burden of a too distant school - and this will bring us Stability as well. This is complex and your work was difficult. Thank you for finding the best of possible solutions out of the choices limited by such high growth and funding challenges. Watching the meeting via YouTube yesterday, it was clear to see how much thoughtfulness, consideration, and effort went into the proposed plan. The outcome is terrific. Please stay the course - kids and families are counting on it. Much appreciation!

36 Votes

Default_avatar
Bharath Mandadi 2 months ago

Thank you for listening to Kitts Creekers !!!

26 Votes

Default_avatar
Santanu Mohapatra 2 months ago

Please make Alston Ridge Middle School traditional, my kid going to green hope elementary and he does not like YR and East Cary middle is not an option for us as it is very far from home. We had Davis middle until this year and we are denied to go to that school as well. We are in limbo.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Jackie Elek 2 months ago

Thank you for listening to the community and making this change so that the school can accommodate all of the kids in the area. Kitts Creek is very appreciative of the reassignment to Alston Ridge Elementary and Middle Schools so that the kids will not be commuting to the other side of town. Thank you!

26 Votes

Default_avatar
Kamal Kafle 2 months ago

My Kids have been spending about 1.5 hours on commute everyday for schools (East Cary Middle). Thank you so much for assigning Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! These schools are close to our neighborhood and it would certainly give us a big relief. Thank you for serving the community !!

28 Votes

Default_avatar

My daughter currently goes to Green Hope Elementary which is a traditional option. Year round will not work and switching from traditional to a year round option would be really difficult for us. I would recommend making Alston Ridge MS a traditional option or retain Mills Park MS as the traditional option and also add David Drive MS as another option as these school are at a closer proximity to Indian Wells community in Cary.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Eric He 2 months ago

Thank you for listening to Kitts Creekers. We really appreciate the assignment of Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary to the neighborhood because for so long our kids have to go to East Cary which is so far away. Proximity matters.

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Geneva Yourse 2 months ago

Thank you for assigning Kitts Creek neighborhood for ARM! This will help with the horrible commute!! This school is closer to the neighborhood and it will be a much better trek each morning. I also LOVE year-round schools so we can take off season vacations!

27 Votes

Default_avatar
Aditya Gadiko 2 months ago

I am very excited to see Kitts Creek neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community. Year round school saves so much money to county it makes sense to have year round school for high density area.

27 Votes

Default_avatar
Karthikeyan Kumarasamy 2 months ago

Families living in Church Street corridor really appreciate the move of assigning Alston Ridge Elementary and Middle school to this area. Alston Ridge is closer to communities like Kitts Creek, Providence etc. and this reassignment reduces our kids time on bus. Thanks so much to WCPSS Board members and everyone who listened to our voice of concern. Thanks again and my kids would be happy if this gets passed through all stages and approved.

28 Votes

Default_avatar
RamaKrishna Pendem 2 months ago

A big kudos for listening and assigning Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary to the Kits Creek neighborhood. Your proposal not only helping the families of Church Street corridor, but also the environment.. we reduce our carbon print by 0.01 metric tons of CO2e per year per car [ approx calculation : avg drive distance 18 miles for a car that give 30 miles of mileage]. Big thank you for WCPSS.

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Vaishnavi Narayanan 2 months ago

Big Thanks for assigning Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary to Kitt Creek neighborhood. We are definitely in need of closer schools for our kids. I strongly agree to this assignment.

24 Votes

Default_avatar
Kevin OConnor 2 months ago

Thank you so much for assigning Kitts Creek to Alston Ridge Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle School. While this decision doesn't impact my family directly, it brings me joy that other families won't have to endure the long bus rides and long commutes back and forth to East Cary that my family did for the past 3 years. I also and thankful that the Board made the right decision for the best of the county and the children by making ARMS a year round calendar, so that more students can attend a school close to their home. West Cary and Morrisville have grown tremendously over the past 5 years and schools have been slow to come. Thank you again to the WCPSS Board and the Town Council of Morrisville for making the fiscally responsible decision.

30 Votes

Default_avatar
Ramapriya Raju 2 months ago

We live in Carpenter village, our son will be attending Davis Drive Middle this upcoming year and should’ve continued to attend DDMS for the rest of his middle school. But, in light of the new draft, he may be assigned to Alston Ridge Middle instead. ARM is a year round school, which is not our preference at all. However, alternatively, he would need to attend West Cary Middle for a traditional school. This is unacceptable due to numerous reasons, including: West Cary’s very poor rating and feedback, the distance from our home, which would would mean an hour and a half minimum travel for a middle schooler, each way, in comparison to the 6-8 min to DDMS, and to top it all, we bought a home in the neighborhood to allow our son to specifically attend Davis Drive Middle School. I am requesting the school board to reconsider this draft and allow for middle schoolers to finish middle school in David Drive from Carpenter village neighborhood.

16 Votes
Default_avatar

I'm in 1000% agreement. Once a child has started in a school, they should be grandfathered. No matter the grade. We're in the same exact boat. We just moved to Carpenter Village from Preston to go to DDMS instead of West Cary because we'd heard such terrible things about West Cary from friends and old neighbors who have children there. It's no mystery why DDMS is full and West Cary has openings. I'm extremely upset that I'm being asked to travel a greater distance to a lesser school that I just moved away from.

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Archana Nayini 19 days ago

I am in total agreement with this discussion we should always allow the kids who are already in a school not to be transitioned to other school in between, this was never a case before not sure why this new proposal has come up this year. Please consider our request to keep the kids in same school.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Vimal Bana about 1 month ago

We are in the same boat as well. Kids should be allowed to finish the middle school if they are already in the same middle school.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Huber 2 months ago

Thank you for keeping ARE year round! I am also very happy to see the ARM will be year round as well. This corner of Wake County has so much growth and I was very concerned that the schools would be capped if switched to the traditional calendar and how that would affect what the overflow schools assignments would be.

16 Votes

Bootstrap_10156198427389900
Jenn Lewis 2 months ago

I am so relieved our neighborhood has been assigned to Alston Ridge Middle School. Although it is still a bit of a hike for us, it is closer than the previous options and closer to both my and my husband's jobs. Having a child with food allergies, it always feel better to be closer in case of emergency. Trying to get to East Cary from our jobs in an emergency would have been a white knuckle experience when every minute counts. We currently go to Morrisville Elementary and love year round school. My only concerned remark is that we have been reassigned to Carpenter as our base school and really would love to finish out our elementary experience at Morrisville.

14 Votes
Default_avatar
Becky Scott 2 months ago

I understand wanting to stay - how many more years do you have there? Carpenter is great, by the way. Terrific staff, very caring. The principal is super responsive.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nirav Patel 2 months ago

Thank you for proposing Kitts Creek to be able to attend ARM. We appreciate the town's decision to help with the long commutes for our kids. Please make this a final decision!

26 Votes

Bootstrap_10155959849607266
James Weiss 2 months ago

Thank you for keeping the Amberly neighborhood assigned to Mills Park Middle - after switching the elementary school to Horton's Creek last year, the idea of switching the middle school again would have left lots of kids shuffling schools 4 years in a row after moving from Alston Ridge. It sounds like the right approach to keep most families in Alston Ridge Elementary and Middle.

18 Votes

Default_avatar

Wake county school board should consider proximity for Traditional schools options as well. It doesn't make sense to assign West Cary MS for kids doing one hour commute each way. There needs to be a balance if the current school assignments are changing. There are many of us who prefer traditional school option and also with a closer proximity as it's currently assigned.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Nilima Bhatt 2 months ago

We live in Carpenter Village. I have had 2 kids graduate from DDMS and my youngest son will be staring DDMS for the 2018-19 school year. I don't understand why he would have to start a new school yet a different calendar year when DDMS is not capped and he is already in the system for DDMS. Also, there is so much more growth near ARMS that it will be at capacity without taking away from DDMS. Also, there is emotional instability with the changing of schools that is unnecessary. I understand West Cary is the alternate for traditional but it does not meet the proximity guideline (1.5 hour bus ride). Please consider grandfathering students already at DDMS who need proximity and traditional calendar.

17 Votes
Default_avatar

Agreed! My daughter is currently a 6th grader at DDMS. After attending school there for 1 year, it's proposed to yank her from DDMS and send to her Alston. Our only other option for a traditional calendar in the proposal is to send our kids all the way to West Cary, which not only too far of a distance from home, but also a less desirable school. It's hard to take steps forward in your child's education when you're being forced to take two steps back.

5 Votes

Bootstrap_1973805595975493
Archana Verma 2 months ago

Thank you so much for assigning Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community. My son is in carpenter elementary and daughter is in East Cary now which is quite far from our place, nearby schools(ARE, ARM) are really going to help us in so many ways. Thanks again!

26 Votes

Default_avatar
Gloria Garver 2 months ago

Though this is for ARMS, I feel it is appropriate to post a Sincere THANKS to WCPSS School Board and Staff for keeping Cary Park (including Orangewood Court north of Cary Park Lake) assigned to Mills Park Middle School. After having been reassigned just 1 year ago for elementary school, we very much appreciate the STABILITY for our students and families in not being reassigned yet again, the PROXIMITY in keeping our children assigned to our only walking-distance Middle School, and this will also support OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY given that our Neighborhood is that close to MPMS. Again, many thanks for keeping Cary Park assigned to MPMS - we are very very HAPPY about this!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
David Klages 2 months ago

Thank you very much for listening to the requests from Providence Place and other communities on Church street to finally provide Alston Ridge Middle School as a proximity based school! East Cary middle school did not make any sense for us and would have greatly limited parent involvement as well as any extra curricular activities for our children. Thank you for the wise decision and the quality of life improvements you are providing to our families!!!

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Jianhui Wu 2 months ago

We live in Indian Wells community. We are very disappointed to see that our traditional calendar option is West Cary middle school, which is very far away and it might take an hour for the kids on the bus based on the current bus route only for one way. Please, please, please retain mills park middle school as our traditional calendar option, so our kids won't have to endure the long bus ride and the long commute. Thank you!

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Silvia Macke 2 months ago

Please consider changing traditional option to Davis Drive Middle School. Our family lives in Carpenter Village and even though our base school is Carpenter which is Year Round my kids have been fortunate to go to Green Hope Elementary which is exactly what we need for our family dynamics. I can understand why WCPSS wants to change our base Middle School to Alston Ridge but I am asking to change back the traditional option to DDMS. My kids' friends are all going to DDMS for middle school and then Green Hope High school . I will have a rising 8th grader next year and a rising 6th grader. It would be very hard for them to change to a new school with different demographics (specially for my 8th grader) and a schedule there are completely unfamiliar with. I understand West Cary is the alternate for traditional but it does not meet the proximity guideline (1.5 hour bus ride). Please consider changing traditional school option to DDMS specially for those students who have been in the traditional calendar since day one and who need proximity and traditional calendar.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Becky Scott 2 months ago

Thank you for assigning the Church St corridor to Alston Ridge for proximity, and for proposing a year-round calendar to accommodate more students. It's very important for our kids to not have long bus rides in traffic (which would have been the case with East Cary Middle). One of the big pillars is proximity, and that is more important to me than having a traditional calendar with a long break. Thank you for listening -- we just bought a house in Morrisville and are relieved to see this proposal!

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Amanda Weiss 2 months ago

Thank you--keeping Amberly at Mills Park Middle School is a relief for many families, as we just adjusted to moving to Hortons Creek ES on a traditional calendar. This is great calendar stability for our neighborhood!

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Heather Ng 2 months ago

Thank you for keeping Amberly Village Square at MPMS!! If we WERE to be zoned for ARMS, my current rising 6th grader, would then be moved to his 4th school in 4 years: 4th grade - ARE, 5th grade - HCE, 6th grade - MPMS, and then potentially 7th - ARMS. This instability doesn't sound healthy for any kid. We attended the listening session at ARE back during the 2016-2017 (his 4th grade year at ARE) where this instability was a tremendous concern and discussion for the parents of the then 4th graders. We also closely followed when an article was posted in the N&O stating that the then current 4th graders effected by the opening of ARMS would be given special consideration and not moved 4 times in 4 years. We even followed up writing to the school board asking to who this rule applied to for clarity and were told that it would in fact apply to us. It was explained to us that we would have to move at least once: either between 4th and 5th or between 6th & 7th. My husband and I then made the difficult choice to move our son between 4th and 5th feeling that was the best option. We are grateful that this plan allows our child consistency and stability. Therefore we enthusiastically support the Draft 1 plan as it pertains to the Amberly Village Square neighborhood remaining at MPMS.

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Gregory Ng 2 months ago

Thank you so much for keeping Amberly Village Square assigned to Mills Park Middle!

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Sankar Pal 2 months ago

Our kid currently a 8th grader at ECMS and its been tough couple of years with long commute to the school. Really happy for my neighbors at Kitts Creek, kudos to Wake County School board for making ARMS as base middle school for KC Community.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Tarish Aggarwal 2 months ago

Our family is very excited to see Kitts Creek neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Kudos to WCPSS and thank you for listening to the feedback from our community.

23 Votes

Default_avatar
Ephraim Tsalik 2 months ago

For those of us in Cary Park that were already reassigned to Horton's Creek, knowing that we can stay at MPMS is a HUGE relief. It is one less thing to worry about - having our children reassigned over and over again. This plan certainly provides stability and favors proximity for us.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Michelle Stevens 2 months ago

We're very disappointed Cameron Pond that is in such close proximity to MPMS is slated for ARM in Draft 1 instead of remaining at MPMS. Please reconsider this. We can see MPMS from our street. Even without the greenway you can walk from Cameron Pond to MPMS without crossing any major roads.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Irfan Khan about 1 month ago

Thank you so so much for assigning Kitts Creek community to the Alston Ridge. It is very important to have schools close to the neighborhood, kids can spend more quality time with their family now. Thank you again for listening to our plea.

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Heather Perez about 1 month ago

Really looking forward to ARM as a YR option for my location in Carpenter Village! We prefer the year-round option when possible, but right now that means my daughter gets on the bus at 5:57 AM for a 7:30 start of the day at East Cary. The distance has been very challenging, but we stick with the YR option to help spread the cost of track-out camps throughout the year and to avoid the summer "brain drain." ARM provides a much closer YR option that will fit my family's needs well. Thank you.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Alexandria Hartnett about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping Amberly at Mills Park Middle School. With Hortons Creek ES and Mills Park Middle both being traditional it's a great stability for families and our kids. Thank you thank you!

16 Votes

Default_avatar
Jessica ONeill about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for keeping Amberly assigned to MPMS. We just transitioned from year round at Alston Ridge to traditional at Hortons Creek. This plan provides calendar stability and proximity for our kids which is wonderful. Thanks again!

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Tiffany DeCarlo about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping Amberly assigned to MPMS. Having 2 kids on 2 different calendars would be a huge inconvenience. If changed to a YR school for middle school, the kids in our neighborhood would be Traditional year for Elementary, YR for middle and Traditional year for High School. This would have major impacts for families with multiple children of different ages. I urge you to keep Amberly assigned to the traditional year MPMS.

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Wendy Stough about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping Amberly assigned to MPMS. We appreciate the stability as this avoids those of us who recently switched calendars in 2017-18 to have to switch again in 2019-20.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Danielle Draper about 1 month ago

Please keep Alston Ridge Middle year-round as proposed! Please consider zoning Alston Ridge Middle to include the Amberly Village Square neighborhood as the YR alternate. MPMS is capped and our alternate is now being proposed to change to Salem MS, which is a significant distance. Having one child in Alston Ridge Elementary and the other half way down 55 is a logistical nightmare, as is one in year round and the other possibly in traditional.

5 Votes

Default_avatar

In this version of the plan we are losing the Traditional calendar zones, that we worked so hard to stay in over the years. I can not have some of my kids on a traditional calendar while another is forced onto year round schedule. I understand that I may apply to send my child to West Cary. Unfortunately that is only the right to requests a spot and these requests are often denied. PLEASE consider only shifting students who are currently in year round zones and new housings. Let families like mine stay at their local traditional schools.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Jason Hillenbach about 1 month ago

Many thanks to the WCPSS School Board and Staff for keeping the Cary Park neighborhood assigned to MPMS. As residents of the northern part of Cary Park - who were re-zoned from MPES to HCES last year - we truly do value the stability of not being reassigned once again. In particular, having a rising 8th grader and 6th grader in two different schools, with two different calendars (traditional and year-round), would have been disastrous.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Nicole Morgan about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Amberly neighborhood assigned to Mills Park Middle - after switching the elementary school to Horton's Creek last year, the idea of switching the middle school again would have left lots of kids shuffling schools 4 years in a row. Thank you for this plan to provide stability for the children!

18 Votes
Default_avatar
Srikanth Valluru about 1 month ago

AFAIK...once there is a reassignment done..it will hold good for 3 years..just an FYI...

0 Votes
Default_avatar

We do our very best to make sure no student's assignment changes for at least three years.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sudeep Chandak about 1 month ago

Thanks you to the Wake County School board for listening Kitts Creek Community and proposing ARM to be Year Round Option. This will reduce Travel time for the kids which will be big relief to Parents. Proximity being one of the Pillars and Board heard the residents to request for Proximity. Thank you!.

23 Votes

Default_avatar
Mamta Chandak about 1 month ago

Thank you for making proximity a pillar of Wake County school assignment. I live in close by neighborhood and very please with this Assignment.. So Thank you.

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Swatantra Rajput about 1 month ago

Kitts Creek neighborhood assignment to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary will help our kids to save commute time, they can use the saved time to do some other activities.

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Carol Lewis about 1 month ago

Thank you for hearing our concerns and making these adjustments to insure that hundreds more students can be accommodated in accessible schools instead of being bused to the far side of a neighboring city. Those of us in Kitt's Creek in Morrisville are very grateful and supportive of your moves.

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Rupal Nishar about 1 month ago

Thank you very much for changing the school assignments for Kitts Creek. The entire community here is appreciate of this!

Families no longer have to DRIVE 45 minutes each way! This is going to improve the quality of life significantly. Making it year round is the right decision! Let’s maximize on the resources we have to support the growth of the region.

Great job Wake county school board!

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Rob Kent about 1 month ago

Breckenridge family here. My daughter is in 7th grade at West Cary MS. Nothing against Alston Ridge MS, but we want our daughter to finish middle school at West Cary. She has made relationships and invested time in the West Cary MS community. Switching her to Alston Ridge for 8th would mean she would have to start from scratch. Note: Breckenridge already made the switch from Mills Park MS to West Cary MS a couple years ago. Time for another community to participate in the redistricting and leave Breckenridge alone. Please grandfather in my 7th grader for her final year.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Kumarasamy Ramasamy about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for assigning Kitts Creek neighborhood to Alston Ridge Elementary and Middle. This will really help our kids to enjoy after school activities and spend valuable time with family and friends instead of traveling 16 miles in the bus. It would really help parents also in terms of, reach out to school incase of emergency, volunteering activities, school meetings etc. Proximity is one of the key factor here and Thank you for listening to our residents feedback.

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Wendy McHenry about 1 month ago

Thank you very much for your hard work on this proposal! Thank you for keeping Amberly Village Square with MPMS and Panther Creek. We moved here in 2010 and my oldest child graduated from MPMS and Panther Creek. My youngest child was transferred from ARE to Horton's Creek last year, and it is wonderful that he can follow the same path, and stay on the traditional calendar now that he is on it. Thank you for offering stability and moving the kids from HCES to MPMS.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Tiffany Whittaker about 1 month ago

How will tracks be determined? How will choices get prioritized? When will we find out track assignments?

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Sandi Spier about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for keeping Amberly Village Square assigned to Mills Park Middle. We have two kids, one at Hortons Creek and one at Mills Park and it will be great having them on the same calendar, and not having to move my daughter to a second middle school.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Shannan Bogdanov about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for leaving Amberly assigned to MPMS and PCHS! We have seen many changes lately and welcome the stability!

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Erin Klages about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for providing Providence Place along with the other Church St communities the opportunity to participate in a local school instead of being bused across town to East Cary Middle. As a family with two working parents, this allows my children the ability participate in after school activities and more parent involvement. Thank you for honoring your pillar of proximity!

15 Votes

Bootstrap_10214447176126898
Kamal Kalsaria about 1 month ago

I am very excited to see Kitts Creek neighborhood assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our community.

There was no nearby school that has the capacity. Travel time to school is a big problem and that's why Alston Ridge needs to accommodate students who live in the proximity to the school so that they don't have to travel for 45 mins each way everyday.

Kitts Creek truly appreciates having a traditional elementary and middle school near to our neighborhood. This is such welcome and happy news! Our kids will benefit from a shorter ride.

Thank you for hearing us and for accommodating our request for the best of everyone in the community!

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Hardik Sheth about 1 month ago

Thank you very much for changing the school assignments for Kitts Creek. The entire community here is appreciate of this!

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Kristy Dziedzina about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping Amberly assigned to MPMS and PCH. We would have had a 7th grader that would have been reassigned after being reassigned in 5th grade to HCE. If reassigned again, next year we would have had an elementary student in traditional, a middle school student in year round and a high schooler in traditional. By aligning the tracks (finally) we can have stability while having one child in each of the schools. Thank you again WCPSS for keeping Amberly assigned to Mills Park Middle School.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Hazel Flores about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Amberly neighborhood in the Mills Park MS zone. It's great to see we can maintain the traditional calendar stability after adjusting to the move last year with the newly opened Hortons Creek ES.

9 Votes

Default_avatar

While I understand everyone at Kitt's Creek is excited for a year round middle school closer to home, they don't seem to be taking into account that the exact opposite is happening to all the families that are now assigned to Alston Ridge Middle that need a traditional calendar. So really they have not fixed anything, they have just changed the problem. Now students that want a traditional option are being assigned to a different traditional middle school that gives them the long commute and issues that you have been facing. So I'm sure you can understand that we aren't happy with the new proposal.

If we could keep our current middle schools as a calendar option, then sure we'd be OK with the proposal as we wouldn't be facing the issues you've had to deal with. But just changing who is impacted does not solve the problem. And no, some of us cannot support a year round middle school when high schools are traditional and we just want all of our kids on the same calendar (not asking too much). I was all for the assignment to ARM until I found out that they had changed their mind to make it year round. That's the only part of the equation that I have an issue with.

9 Votes
Default_avatar
Vinod Kumar Dhanaraj about 1 month ago

I completely agree.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Melissa, In fairness, the situation you describe is NOT the “exact opposite”. Here are the facts: currently, Kitts Creek’s BASE middle school is East Cary – ten or so miles away. It isn’t fair to compare (1) a base school assignment with (2) a situation where a parent chooses not to attend a base school for calendar reasons.

Unfortunately, Wake doesn’t have enough funds for school construction to offer Traditional calendars in a booming area. Personally, I’m in favor of enough state and county school bond capacity to have enough schools to satisfy proximity and calendar. Unfortunately, there is too much opposition to adequately funding education in order to minimize the tax increases to build the schools people want.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Jason Clark about 1 month ago

I am very happy that the Kitts Creek neighborhood has been assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! And that it will be year around. Thank you for helping us have a school for our kids that is close to home.

17 Votes

Default_avatar

WCPSS, Thanks for the excellent work with this draft based on the four pillars. I understand some folks may prefer that Parkside open on a traditional calendar but that would only aggravate the lack of capacity and cause even greater overcrowding. (Keep in mind that the Morrisville Town Council is constantly approving new residential development.) Moreover, vacation schedules are not a pillar for school assignments. Families insisting on vacation schedules over proximity have the option to apply to an alternate school with the calendar they want. It is sad that the NC General Assembly did not approve a state-wide referendum which would have provided much needed school construction funds. As noted in slide #19, data speaks volume. Sadly, in booming growth areas, Wake needs schools with Year-Round calendars to play catch-up with the population growth.

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Tara Fisher about 1 month ago

I am so pleased with the decision to make ARM a year round school. This is the most responsible decision based on the needs of our growing community. And as a resident of Kitt's Creek, I'm also thrilled with the assignment plan as neighborhood schools are important to my family and neighbors. I am less excited about having to pull my children from their current elementary school (Carpenter), but I understand and support the logical decision to assign us to both ARE and ARM. What efforts will be made to keep reassigned families on their current track?

Thank you for your hard work and for considering our feedback!

16 Votes

Bootstrap_10104121919053143
Kelly Mercier about 1 month ago

I am confused as to why WCPSS has changed the assignment of the Twin Lakes subdivision for Pine Hollow and NOT Alston Ridge. Alston Ridge is less than 5 miles away, while Pine Hollow is 12 miles. Alston Ridge should be the year-round alternative for the Twin Lakes neighborhood.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Kelly Perry about 1 month ago

The Twin Lakes neighborhood is currently assigned to East Cary as the year-round middle school option. Under the new plan for year-round middle schools, the neighborhood would be split, with half of the neighborhood assigned to Pine Hollow (which is quite far) and half assigned to Alston Ridge (which is much closer). Alston Ridge should be the year-round option for ALL families in Twin Lakes.

1 Vote

@mike dees can you provide some information on how the decisions were made as to which neighborhoods were assigned to which YR schools?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Hi Kelly. All year-round elementary schools in the area are proposed to feed to the year-round Alston Ridge Middle.

This is part of our proposal to provide calendar alignment K-8 for this entire area.

2 Votes

Thank you, Matt. I am still confused, however, since our neighborhood YR school is Morrisville, and ARMS would be the closest YR option. We have been preliminarily re-assigned to Pine Hollow, which is twice the distance away.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10216989972799124
Carmen Koger about 1 month ago

Thank you--keeping Amberly at Mills Park Middle School is a relief for many families, and offers much needed calendar stability for our neighborhood!

9 Votes

Bootstrap_10160650422455307
Renu Dale about 1 month ago

I echo the comments of my Amberly neighbors, having traditional elementary students go to a traditional middle school creates stability for families with siblings and who prefer traditional calendar. and for whats it worth as a former Morrisville resident, they need their own middle and high schools for their community instead of being bused across into another town, it creates traffic congestion and safety concerns with the Panther Creek High being over in West Cary as well and all the congestion on 55. With all the new housing in West Cary this is just a band-aid on a weeping wound!

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Arzu Williams about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping Amberly Village Square kids at Mills Park Middle. This is a great proposal win win! Please don't change anything!

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Sonia Bana about 1 month ago

We live in Cedar Bend community and we are not at all okay with the proposal. My daughter, who has been a part of the Davis Drive family since kindergarten as she attended DDES, will be starting middle school this year (DDMS) and is very excited about it as she'll be attending the same middle school as her brother did and all her friends are going to DDMS. But the fact that she might have to go to a different school with a different calendar is kind of scary. Going to middle school is a big change in itself. Our kids being expected to go to a different school in completely new environment is expecting too much. Not every child is as open to new changes as other kids. Such a change will affect their academic performance as well their emotions. This will be very tough for us parents as well as our kids. My son goes to Green Hope High School and having two kids on two different calendars will be very hard for us. West Cary (our traditional choice) is very far from our house and we are not okay with out daughter spending so much time commuting every single day. Please try and understand, as a family it'll be very difficult for us. If you want ARMS as our year round choice, fine, but please let us keep DDMS as our traditional choice... we will really appreciate that. Please, please, please reconsider and assign DDMS as our traditional choice. If not, please let current DDMS students grandfather at DDMS. Hoping for a positive response, Thanks

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Melanie Studer about 1 month ago

I was really happy to see that the proposal shows residents of Amberly Village Square being assigned to Mills Park Middle School. My daughter (currently a 5th grader at Horton's Creek Elementary) has been on a traditional calendar since kindergarten and I was concerned that she may be assigned to a year-round calendar at ARMS next year. Thank you for trying to keep kids on the same calendar from elementary to middle school!

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Shanthi Rachakonda about 1 month ago

I live in Evans Farm community. We are very disappointed about changing our base school to AMS. Year round will not work for us as my elder one is traditional HS. West cary is not an option for traditional because of its poor rating and very far from our place it would take 1- 1.hr with all the stops. If we were ok for long commute we would have chosen Magnet schools,but it's not our Choice. It's very unfair to change the base school of older communities. Main reason we chose to live in this area is because of schools. Please consider keeping our base school MMS or Changing AMS to traditional.

9 Votes
Default_avatar
Prasanthi Mandava about 1 month ago

I echo the same feelings

We live in Evans Farm Community on Green Level Church Road ,27519. We were assigned Mills Park Middle (MPM) when we bought the house 6 years back. Traditional Schools are one reason we chose this community. While newer communities being built next to us are assigned to MPM , we getting a lower rated traditional school is not reasonable. We are very disappointed about changing our base school to AMS and traditional option to WCM . I would request the committee to reconsider keeping our base school MMS or changing the AMS to traditional.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Orly Reznik about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Weycroft neighborhood on a traditional calendar and for keeping our assigned middle school as Mills Park. Our entire neighborhood was redistricted to a new school and new calendar last year. Switching middle schools and switching calendars again would be very disruptive to the students and families. Additionally, Weycroft is an established neighborhood and mills park middle school has been our assigned middle school since the neighborhood was built. As a community, we have supported that school and invested time and resources into the programs and amenities. Many families have already seen two or three of their children complete middle school there, and it would be very disruptive if the younger siblings were not given the opportunity to attend.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Sharon Mayes about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Weycroft neighborhood assigned to MPMS and Hortons Creek! After switching our kids to Hortons Creek last year, switching them for the fourth year in a row would be disruptive. Thank you for providing a plan that gives our neighborhood children stability.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Maha Manikkam about 1 month ago

We live in the Evan's Farm community. We currently have Mills Park Middle as our base middle school. Why are we being reassigned to Alston Ridge Middle. We are an established 8 plus year old community. When other older neighborhoods like Weycroft get to keep their old base school, why are we forced to change. I understand that West Cary is growing and WCPSs needs to assign schools to the growing population. In that case why are new neighborhoods like Ridge Field farms and Braemore not being assigned to the new Alston Ridge Middle. This is totally unfair and unacceptable and we are a 50 plus group if families that oppose this proposal of changing our base middle school to Alstom Ridge.

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Shanthi Rachakonda about 1 month ago

Totally agree. It's unfair to change the base school of Evan's farm community to AMS while keeping all the neighbor communities same. One of the reason we chose to live in this area is because of school. It's not easy for parents and kids. I wish they consider our request and keep MMS as our base school.

5 Votes
Default_avatar
Amy Huber about 1 month ago

The issue is that ARE is year round which is our base elementary. So our neighborhood is being put in the base for ARM. It does make sense. There is also never a guarantee that a neighborhood will remain zoned for the same schools.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Prasanthi Mandava about 1 month ago

We live in Evans Farm Community on Green Level Church Road ,27519. We were assigned Mills Park Middle (MPM) when we bought the house 6 years back. Traditional Schools are one reason we chose this community. While newer communities being built next to us are assigned to MPM , we getting a lower rated traditional school is not reasonable and unfair. We are very disappointed about changing our base school to AMS and traditional option to WCM . I would request the committee to reconsider keeping our base school MMS.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Sushma Edula about 1 month ago

This is not Fair! We live in Evans Farm community and we don’t like this proposal. Please keep Mills Park MS as our base school or change AMS to traditional. Also, why is West Cary the calendar option proposed which is very far from our community. We already have many issues with the school assignments, somewhat unrelated to this proposal but wanted to bring it up, we have Hortons Creek and Green Hope elementary as our calendar options, but our requests to transfer sibling is denied even though their elder sibling is in traditional calendar middle school, if that is the case what is the use of having calendar options. You should consider our concerns and try to address our issues rather than just ignoring any requests we make.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Venkat Ramana about 1 month ago

We live in Evans Farm community on green level church rd. We are not happy with the Proposed decision of moving our base school to Alston ridge middle school. Year round will not work for us and West cary is very far 8 miles from our community and not the school we wished for. We purchased home in this community because of schools. We have changed our son from magnet school to base school so that he's is not stressed with the commute and his time his utilised well. Please consider our request and keep the base middle school as Mills Park.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Kristen Campbell about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping Weycroft neighborhood with MPMS and Horton's Creek. We were reassigned to Horton's Creek last year and helped align our elementary age child with our middle school age child. We have done a year with 2 calendars and it is VERY disruptive. When ARMS opens our 3 children will be in 1st, 6th, and 9th. We were very concerned that our 6th grader would be put on a different calendar. We are so relieved to see that WCPSS has considered this and offered our neighborhood consistency in scheduling. We have lived in Weycroft for 10 years and have always been zoned for MPMS. We have participated in events over the years including plays and fundraisers so we have been invested in the school for much longer than we've actually had a student attending. I'm so glad to see that my children will continue to be able to go to MPMS! Thank you WCPSS!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kavita Torvi about 1 month ago

Alston Ridge MS was supposed to be a traditional school. When people filed petitions to change it to year around, it was not our base middle school. But now it the base middle for us when we did not have any SAY in what calendar option it becomes. It is UNFAIR. People who had no "say" in this change are now assigned to that school.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Kavita Torvi about 1 month ago

All across the country, people buy homes based on school district. Lot of people including us have paid higher price for homes in good school district and to gain proximity to these school hoping "Common Sense" prevails and kids can attend the nearby schools. But Wake County has decided to assign a Middle school with a score of "5" and more than 6 miles away instead of the Mills Park with a score of 9 or 10 and 2 miles from our house. Does not make sense. Please consider our request to keep our base as Mills park.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Aruna Pillutla about 1 month ago

We live in Indianwells Community, Indian wells road. We chose the community mainly for MillsParkMiddle. Traditional calendar is a good fit for our family and matches with our other kids schedule and family stability. We are very disappointed that we are likely to be moved to a base middle ARM (year round ) and West Cary with 55 minute bus commute as a traditional option.

My daughter will be attending Mills Park middle for 6th grade and is slated to be moved to ARM for 7th and 8th grades. It is too many changes and will destabilize her education.

I request that Indian Wells stay designated for Mills Park Middle because of our proximity to the school and with Morrisville Parkway opening next year our distance to MillsPark Middle will be close to a mile and within 5 to 10 mins of commute time.

20 Votes

Bootstrap_10156801620038092
Taruna Sharma about 1 month ago

Hello All!
We're residents of Evans Farm Community in West Cary since over 5 years now. We chose this area so both our kids can go to the highly Reputable and Traditional Calendar: Mills Park Middle School.

Now, all of a sudden for no justifiable reason, our base school is being swapped out to a low score traditional school that is too far for us. This is shocking for us, and we feel tricked into buying our home back when.

Since we're already residents of this area, we would like to re-instate our originally assigned base middle school to Mills Park Middle. Please consider this a request for fairness and trust.

Best Regards

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Pratap Anchuri about 1 month ago

For Indian Wells community the ARMS is proposed as base school and the traditional option is West Cary which is very far about ~9miles ( with commute taking approx 45 mins), compared to current base Middle school- Mills Park , which would be only 2.5 miles when the new Morrisville Parkway bridge over 540 opens up next year. So we would prefer to continue with current base school as is or would like Mills Park MS as traditional option for Indian Wells community.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashok Kumar Rakasi about 1 month ago

We live in Indian Wells Community, Indian wells road. We like the traditional calendar schools and we are disappointed with the new Alston Middle school(YR) assignment as base school. I have only option as traditional MS is West Cary MS which is far from our community and long time to commute. I would like to request for MILLS PARK MS assigned as base school/calendar option.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Lakshmi Naresh Kosaraju about 1 month ago

I am from Indian Wells community. Currently our students go to Mills Park Middle but are assigned Alston Ridge Middle from 2019-2020 school year. Please change Alston ridge Middle to traditional or keep our current assignment of Mills Park middle. Our proposed calendar option west Cary middle is far from our community and kids will end up spending their precious time in school bus. So please keep current assignment of Mills Park middle or change Alston ridge middle to traditional.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Akshara ks about 1 month ago

Hi , we are from Evans Farm Community and would like to express our concern over the proposal of switching our base middle School Mills Park to Alston Ridge middle school for 2019-2020. Schools are the first priority when we look to buy houses and we go that extra mile to make sure our kids get the best school possible. Having said that, for a community that has been having Mills Park Middle as a base school for over 5 years, it is not a fair proposal to switch Middle School all of a sudden.. We understand that the city is growing and new schools are more welcomed..but not at the cost of struggle to existing communities. My daughter is a 6th grader who has a huge task of getting acquainted to Middle school which is a new environment for her , this year. Before she knows it , she would have to go to Alston Ridge and start all over again, on top of calendar change. I do not think it is fair of us to ask young children to keep adjusting every time rezoning happens as it takes away their feeling of security and comfort they find in their classrooms, friends etc. Please let us have the Mills Park Middle School as our base school like it was before.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
vineela adusumilli about 1 month ago

We live in Indianwells Community, Cary. We are very disappointed as we new proposal school assignement Draft 1 to be moved to a West Cary with 55 minute bus commute for traditional option.Please consider RE-MAPPING Indian wells community to Mills Park Middle school as Traditional calendar option.We request that Indian Wells stay designated for Mills Park Middle because of our distance to MillsPark Middle will be close to a mile and within 5 to 10 mins of commute time.

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Venu Vegesana about 1 month ago

I am staying in west Cary from past 3 years and unfortunately every year the school and calendar option changing and its very difficult for kids to adjust to these changed scheduled. in 2017 my kids assigned to carpenter ES which is year round and they lost all summer holidays as they transition from traditional. later they are changed to Green hope HS which is traditional. We moved to Indian wells community as Mills Park is base school. Now in middle school they need to go through other change in school and calendar. The current calendar option West Cary MS is far away. Please keep the Mills Park MS as base school option and DAVIS DR as traditional option if ARMS needs to be YR due to growth.

16 Votes
Default_avatar
Hima Kovvuri about 1 month ago

I agree with Venu's comments. The proposed " West Cary" traditional option is far away, would really appreciate if you keep Mills Park MS as base school and include Davis Drive Middle school as another option which would be at a closer proximity to our community.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Gopal Reddy Sudula about 1 month ago

My Name is GOPAL SUDULA from Indian Wells community on 55hwy and Indian Wells Rd and I am very disappointed to see the middle school being reassigned to "Alston RIdge Middle". We would like a traditional calendar option as our SON is in elementary school in traditional calendar.

The traditional option for us is "West Cary", is far away it takes almost 45 mins to 1 hour based on the traffic.I would really appreciate if you keep "Mills Park middle" as an option and Mills park is very close to our community 5 to 10 mins commute time. Please consider.

Thanks, Gopal.

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Yugandhar Chedalla about 1 month ago

I am from Indian Wells community. Currently our students go to Mills Park Middle but are assigned to Alston Ridge Middle from 2019-2020 school year. Please keep our current assignment of Mills Park middle as is or change Alston ridge Middle to traditional . Our proposed calendar option west Cary middle is far from our community and kids will end up spending their precious time in school bus. So please keep the current assignment of Mills Park middle.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Michael Torsiello about 1 month ago

Thank you for the choice of making Alston Ridge Middle School a year round calendar. I think it makes the most sense for the community that is growing so much.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Qiao Xu about 1 month ago

I want to thank WCPSS School Board and Staff to keep Cary Park (northern part) at MPMS and PCH with the current proposal. Stability for our kids is much needed and appreciated after last year's changes.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Shilpa Kothari about 1 month ago

We live in Indian Wells and were finally excited on having a school nearby that is traditional so that it matches my son's schedule so we can vacation together. We have been through many changes as our children are 7 years apart and have had to appeal to the school zone changes for multiple years. Last time we were opted for Traditional for elementary but due to overclouding had to go out of the way for traditional school. Since then we moved hoping that Mills Park Middle would be our choice and have convinced our daughter how convenient this is and she will make new friends as most of her elementary school friends are going elsewhere. Middle school can be anxiety provoking to kids due to additional homework, hormone changes, and additional stress of just being accepted at that age by other kids. We did get a letter that our daughter did get into Mills Park Middle and since than have made many friends who have also gotten the same. My son also went to Mills Park middle and all summer we have talked about how wonderful this is and she will not miss her elementary friends as much due to the new friends she has made this summer. The rezoning to Alston Middle again puts us at a crossroads. The distance is not convenient, majority of the friends she had made this summer are not due to re-zone and the YR concept also divides our family time between our son and our daughter. I know we need new schools but moving a child after 1 year of middle school should be a choice one makes and not mandatory. Not every child adjusts so easily. While Alston Ridge Middle maybe a great choice for many it is not for us and would really like to keep Mills Park Middle as our base. . Truly feel parents should have a choice to keep Mills park as their base if they choose not to go to YR school. Students who have not started middle school or want to voluntarily move to Alston Ridge Middle should be the ones moved.

15 Votes
Default_avatar

Agreed. We should be given a choice to grandfather. My daughter is in the same predicament at DDMS.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Srinivas Gangaram about 1 month ago

Hi, We live in Indian Wells community (Inidan wells Rd & Pantego Trl). When we first moved into this neighborhood , my son was still attending West Cary Middle school while we were waiting for a seat at Mills Park Middle school. The commute to West Cary was too long from this place. He used to get on the bus at 5:50 AM and come back home around 4:30 PM. Most of his time was spent in the school bus. Now he goes to Mills Park Middle school and we are very happy with his short ride. I request to keep Mills Park as traditional school for us as this is the closest middle school to our neighborhood.Thank you!

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Menaka puranik about 1 month ago

We stay Evans Farms Community. Our community is almost 7 years old and one of the early communities to be developed in west cary region. Most of us in the community choose to buy the house because of the PROXIMITY to great schools. My kids are in traditional calendar since beginning and it would not be of any convenience for our family to change the school calendar since Alston ridge is a year round. Also it would be totally be injustice to all of our community kids who opt for traditional calendar to go about 12-15 miles for West Cary middle when Mills Park middle is just a mile away. All of our neighboring communities have been assigned to Mills park Middle as traditional . We as a family and a community would like to request to keep MILLS Park Middle as traditional calendar option for EVANS FARM .Which is currently the assigned school for us. Taking away a privilege of attending a great school just because the city is developing doesn't justify . We are not asking for an assignment which is new. But please consider keeping the assignment intact .

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Xiangwu Zhang about 1 month ago

We live in Indian Wells. We are very disappointed at the proposed assignment: Alston Ridge Middle for base school and West Cary Middle for traditional option. West Cary Middle is so far away from our neighbourhood, and this will mean: 1) our kids will have to get up very early in the morning, losing almost 1 hour of sleep every day; and 2) our kids will also have to quit many beloved activities every day since they will come home late. They will spend hundreds of extra hours on the School Bus every year, which will be a huge waste of their time. That is also not economic for the school system. We suggest retaining Mills Park MS as traditional calendar option (i.e., the current assignment). Davis Drive MS can also be another traditional calendar option.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Shikha Dhir about 1 month ago

We live in Indian Wells and are very disappointed with the new schools proposed . Assignment of West Cary Middle instead of Mills Park is something we are very concerned about . It will increase the travel time for kids tremendously and kids will spend hours just in commute . They will have to give up on lot of activities which they love to do because of long commutes . Please consider RE-MAPPING Indian wells community to Mills Park Middle school as Traditional calendar option.We request that Indian Wells stay designated for Mills Park Middle because of our of our Proximity to Mills Park.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Raghu Manne about 1 month ago

We live in Chessington community and we are very disappointed with reassigning our neighborhood to ARMS. My daughter has just started middle school at DDMS, but she have to go to year round school ARMS next year is very frustrating. Middle school itself is very challenging for kids and i strongly believe they shouldn't go through calendar changes and school changes during the 3 years of middle school. This will have a negative impact on their performance and emotions.

Why is West Cary Middle School(which is far from our neighborhood) made our traditional choice instead of DDMS (which is the closest middle school)? Keeping ARMS as our year round application choice is better with DDMS as our base middle school.

Please keep Chessington community with DDMS as base traditional choice and ARMS as year round application choice. Please reconsider and assign DDMS as our base middle school.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Stephanie WhiteHunt about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Weycroft neighborhood on a traditional calendar and for keeping our assigned middle school as Mills Park. Our entire neighborhood was redistricted to a new school and new calendar last year. Switching middle schools and switching calendars again would be very disruptive to the students and families. Additionally, Weycroft is an established neighborhood and mills park middle school has been our assigned middle school since the neighborhood was built. As a community, we have supported that school and invested time and resources into the programs and amenities.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Stephen Sealy about 1 month ago

Dear WCPSS!!! I am very happy to see Kitts Creek, Providence Place and other Church Street neighborhoods assigned to Alston Ridge Middle & Elementary! Thank you for listening to the feedback from our communities! I live in Kitts Creek and it mean A LOT to me!!!

Travel time to school is a big problem and that's why Alston Ridge needs to accommodate students who live in proximity to the school so that we don't have to travel 45 mins each way everyday. I am a single dad and there is no way I can make it to work on time dropping her off at East Cary MS. No joke.... I would have to move...

I sincerely appreciate having both a year round elementary school and middle school (ARM) in close proximity which should help save our tax dollars with added capacity. Thank you again, for listening and taking action.

16 Votes

Default_avatar
Ankit Chansoriya about 1 month ago

I am thankful to the school board for assigning ARM to Kitts Creek. My son has been going to East Cary for past three years, and it is 14 miles from our home. Even though my son will be going to the high school, I am happy for my neighbors that their kids won't have to face problems that my son faced. It is important to keep ARM year-round so that it can accommodate students from nearby communities. Sending kids to a school that's 14 miles away is not good. My older son is going to be in a traditional calendar in high school, and the younger one will be in a year-round, and I can understand the problem parents face when that happens. Planning for vacations is difficult, finding a nanny is complicated and so on but it is nothing compared to kids traveling 14 miles each way every day. So, I hope people consider that while asking for making ARM traditional. Thank you!

16 Votes

Default_avatar
Sanjay Kothari about 1 month ago

I live in the Indian Wells neighborhood. My daughter just started 6th grade with Mills Park Middle this year. We were extremely disappointed when we heard that the traditional calendar school for Indian Wells neighborhood is being proposed from Mills Park Middle to West Cary Middle. While the new Alston Ridge Middle will be a great school, the year-round concept does not fit into my family's schedule because my son falls into a traditional calendar year. Previously, my son had attended Mills Park Middle for three years. Middle school transitions in a middle of a three-year period are toughest on kids. Impact could result in social difficulties and emotional distress, which can put pressure on kids, parents and teachers. Lastly, West Cary Middle is six miles away from the Indian Wells neighborhood. It is a long bus ride, especially in extreme weather conditions and heavy traffic. It puts a lot of stress on the kids. Therefore, I request that Indian Wells neighborhood should continue to retain Mills Park Middle School as the choice of traditional calendar school and Alston Ridge can be the year-round choice.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
heidi sammartino about 1 month ago

Thank you very much for keeping the Weycroft neighborhood assigned to Mills Park Middle School and Hortons Creek Elementary School. After switching our kids from Alston Ridge last year to Hortons Creek, another switch for them would be very disruptive for the continuity of their learning and growth. Consistency is very important for children, therefore, I truly appreciate this plan and it providing stability for my children and those in our neighborhood.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jamie Olarte about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Weycroft neighborhood on a traditional calendar and for keeping our assigned middle school as Mills Park. Our entire neighborhood was redistricted to a new school and new calendar last year. Switching middle schools and switching calendars again would be very disruptive to the students and families. Additionally, Weycroft is an established neighborhood and mills park middle school has been our assigned middle school since the neighborhood was built. As a community, we have supported that school and invested time and resources into the programs and amenities.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lakshmi Ganesan about 1 month ago

Hi I live in Cedar Bend neighborhood. Our traditional calendar school is being moved from Davis Drive Middle to West Cary Middle. And for year round calendar we have been assigned to Alston Ridge Middle. Year round calendar doesn't work for us at all. Even from vacation point of view we need to travel outside the country and 3 weeks off doesn't help us at all. Being on traditional calendar only works for us.

Alston Ridge middle is a new school and I can understand the board offering us this option. But what I don't understand is our subdivision has been going to Davis Drive Middle for past 5 years. I understand new subdivision are coming up, those students should be sent to the schools which can accommodate more students. Why board always makes the decision of changing schools for old subdivisions which have already been assigned to those schools?

When anyone buys a new house, the family knows their children will be going to a new school. Why is it that board instead of assigning the new schools to the new subdivision always moves the old students and makes those family suffer?

Please don't change our base school from DDMS. Every year our children can not go through this stress.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Prateek Pramanik about 1 month ago

Thank you to the school board for assigning Kitts Creek to ARM. Our kids will greatly benefit from a more proximate school. Also thank you for making ARM year round so as to accommodate as many students as possible.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Goutham Ayithabathula about 1 month ago

Thank you so much WCPSS Board members for deciding to assign Kitts Creek community to Alston Ridge. I personally spent 1/5 th of my active life commuting to school just to get a better education. I spent that time not because we did not have school in proximity but because those schools had a limited number of seats available. Had they increased the capacity I would have spent 1/5th of my valuable life doing better things rather than the painful commute. What worse can happen when you work so hard and put the children again through the same pain over again. Thank you very much for coming to our rescue by making some landmark decisions and pulling our children out of that pain. We cannot thank you enough for feeling and understanding our pain and accommodating us!!!

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Ilya Krutov about 1 month ago

Please keep the DDMS as the base traditional calendar school for the Madison Place Townhomes community and make ARMS as the YR application option - two adjacent neighborhoods from the left (LakeRidge Townhomes) and right (Westover Park Townhomes) on the same side of the Morrisville parkway are still assigned to the DDMS even after the proposed rezoning.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Purvi Parekh about 1 month ago

I am grateful to the board for listening to Kitts Creek and assigning ARM! This helps reduce the daily stress for so many parents and students. They will now be able to utilize their time better rather than spending that time commuting back and forth. The year-around school calendar will be very accommodating to our growing community! All of us truly appreciate your support! Thank you!

14 Votes

Default_avatar
sandhya nagubadi about 1 month ago

Hi we live in Indian wells if you change school next year also our son will going to the third school in 3 years. We request you to consider as Mills Park as elementary and middle as our base or at least traditional option. Not west cary which is far away.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
GC Haisty about 1 month ago

We live in Carpenter Village, and are, quite frankly, tired of being the ping pong balls in Wake country school's terrible game of school planning. We've had to work with the school system for years, yet keep getting re-assigned, and re-assigned despite vocal feedback.

The assignments should be a promise to students for many years to come (10/12 years) rather than a hap-hazard game of moving people around so frequently.

Look at the neighborhoods that aren't getting bounced around, and please look to revise your plan to be more fair to those who you keep penalizing.

Make Alston Ridge traditional, or keep Carpenter Village at Davis Drive Middle.

11 Votes
Default_avatar

My vote is for keeping CV kids at their current DDMS!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Vimal Bana about 1 month ago

We live in Cedar Bend sub-divisions. ARMS as Year-Round choice is understandable, but moving us from DDMS to West Cary Middle is beyond logic to me. Why can't new communities be assigned to West Cary Middle as their traditional choice? Please don't change our base school from DDMS. More so, kids who are starting 6th grade in DDMS will again be forced to change next year. At the least have them continue to grandfather in DDMS.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Grandfathering makes the most sense to me as well! We should at least be given the choice.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

My daughter is currently a student at Davis Drive Middle School and being reassigned to Alston/West Cary next year. Can someone from WCPSS please explain to me how forcing my daughter to switch schools will have a positive influence on her education? I'm asking for a reasonable explanation. There's only room for 3 research based files here, but I have a plethora. Do a quick search. School mobility has negative effects on children and their educational performance. As a parent, I'm doing the right things. I do my best to offer stability and to offer all the things my child needs to succeed. I'm not happy that the school district, an institution I'm paying to make decisions that are in the best interest of my child, is instead making decisions that will negatively effect the future educational success of my daughter. In this case, I feel as though WCPSS is letting my child down and/or holding her back. I'm asking, actually I'm begging you, for the sake of my daughter and other children who have already been established in a school to take another look at grandfathering them at their current school. To ignore the obvious research and negative outcomes of school mobility on social, psychological and educational realms is turning a blind eye to the reality of the position you're putting a lot of us in. I ask that you at least give parents the choice to keep their children at their current school.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Little about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for opening Alston Middle as YR and zoning Providence Place. I AM THRILLED! I absolutely love the YR schedule and this school is closer to our house.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly McAleer about 1 month ago

Thank you for assigning Providence Place to Alston Middle. With the residential growth in this area, the proximity is very welcome.

9 Votes

Bootstrap_10155952300678651
Mark Dixon about 1 month ago

Providence Place is pleased to have a middle school close to our neighborhood. Thank you for listening to the voice of our community.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Randeep Basu about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for assigning the Providence Place neighborhood to Alston Ridge Middle! This essentially shows that you are listening to the concerns of the involved parents and thinking about the kids in the proximity of the school and letting them have that opportunity. Thank you for listening to our voices. :)

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Susmitha Dantuluri about 1 month ago

Really disappointed with the recent proposal with no traditional calendar option nearby Indian Wells community and it is really difficult to have my 2 kids being in 2 different calendar years in-spite of multiple appeals to wake county school board. I would like to see that we have the option of Mills Park middle or Davis Middle as being traditional. Being a working mom, it is hard to believe how this proposal is making sense to put our kids in far off schools and be on bus for a long time rather than assigning to nearby traditional schools available. Make Alston Ridge as traditional calendar or provide coverage in Middle Park or Davis drive middle schools. Please consider our voices and take sensible decision for the benefit of Indian Wells Residents.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Jeff Care about 1 month ago

I am happy to see Providence Place assigned to ARM. I would have preferred to see ARM as a traditional calendar school but I can't ignore the additional capacity that a YR calendar allows. A good compromise leaves everyone unhappy.

All told having ARM as YR is preferable to being forced to truck all the way to East Cary!

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Shikha Dhir about 1 month ago

I am a resident of Indian Wells , and all the Parents are totally against the New School Assignments for Middle School , We have created an online Petition which is being signed by the effected Parents . We strongly want to get the Traditional Calendar , Middle School Base to stay as Mills Park and not change to West Cary Middle because its very far from the neighborhood and not at all meet the Proximity Criteria. We either want to have Mills Park as our base for Traditional Calendar or want Alston Ridge Middle to be converted to Traditional Calendar.

https://www.change.org/p/wcpss-board-new-schools-proposed-doesn-t-meet-proximity-criteria

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Little about 1 month ago

Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinions, which I respect. However, I'm not sure I understand why anyone would prefer a traditional calendar to only be off in the summer. YR schools have the ability to support 300+ more students and you are able to take vacation at different times of the year. Depending on your track, students are off 3-4 weeks every 8-9 weeks. I think it's AWESOME! I will never visit Disney World in the summer - being from FL, that is not enjoyable. :)

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Raj Vijay about 1 month ago

We live in the Indian Wells neighborhood off of HW 55 and Indian Wells Road. There has been a proposal to change our base middle school from Mills Park to West Cary.West Cary Middle doesn’t make sense Logistically or Logically. Our kids do a lot of activities outside school and long bus commutes are not too conducive for that. In this crowded city, a 6 miles bus ride turns into an eternal one..Also going to a school that is 2 miles away(Mills park) and starts at 8.15Am makes much more sense than a one(West Cary) that starts at 7.30 AM and 6 miles away.Factoring in the bus rides the kids would have to wake up at 5.30 A.M! Alston Ridge Middle would be a better option than West Cary Middle. Strongly request the decision makers to allot Mills Park as the base with Alston Ridge Middle as the Spill Over. Thanks !

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Swathi Byrichetty about 1 month ago

We have middle school kid who started this year at DDMS which has been our base school from the past. He was very excited to go and meet his friends from last 5 years. We had very tough time emotionally last year in explaining kids on why their school was being changed and go through lot of stress on parents and even with kids. Again coming this new year after making foundation at DDMS school and not being allowed to grandfather in for 7th graders that will cause lot of stress mentally and emotionally. The new neighborhoods coming up are the one that need to be assigned for schools with available seats, so they can plan. That is the best way to do and avoid stress on existing home owners. Having to go through this emotional roller coaster can be easily averted.
On top of that we have younger kid who will be going to his 3rd grade in traditional school and pulling him away from his teachers and friends and moving him to year round will cause lot of stress and discomfort in our school system. Also if two kids are assigned in different tracks then it is NIGHTMARE to families in planning their holidays, vacations and providing fun filled childhood. Taking away all this mental peace from existing neighborhood families is not good planning. So i request board to CONSIDER KEEPING EXISTING SCHOOL ASSIGNMENTS AND OLD GRANDFATHERING RULES NOT ONLY FOR 5TH AND 8TH GRADERS BUT FOR ALL FAMILIES IN CEDAR BEND and to other neighborhoods in Morrisville.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

I am in total agreement with this discussion we should always allow the kids who are already in a school not to be transitioned to other school in between, this was never a case before not sure why this new proposal has come up this year. Please consider our request to keep the kids in same school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Renna Gasper about 1 month ago

We moved to Carpenter Village a few weeks ago. Purchased our house with the distinct intention of our kids going to DDMS. I did my research on best qualified school for my kids (two starting sixth grade this year). Based on my findings found DDMS best suited for my kids. Spent an enormous amount of money for the house. Granted nothing is guaranteed. Yet, to be told a few days before the start of the new school year that your kids, based on your address, are no longer welcomed to attend their current school the following year. I am beyond disappointed. We moved here from a different state, now in a new state, going to a new school (which is tramactic in itself). Then to be told your not welcomed back to this new school next year. So, go to another new school, get acclimated to new rules, new friends, new curriculum. If we stayed were we were,indeed they would be going to a new school. However, they would not be told to go to another new school the following year. Additionally, I am extremely concerned to be assigned to go to another new school with no information on what the new school will offer. Based on the meeting I attended yesterday evening at Adams Elementary -Draft 1 hosted by Wake County changes are being made based on geography of anticipated new developments. We live here now. We want to continue to stay in this chosen school for the remainder of the three school years. We are informed that we have no right to continue to go to our current school. With the grandfathering rules in effect, it really affects the current 6 graders in DDMS (current 8th graders will not be sent to a new middle school because they will be going to HS and next year’s 8th graders; current 7th graders would be grandfathered). I am adamantly opposed to being sent to a different school for the following two years. I want the best for my kids. Changing new schools because of where we live will not have any positive effect on them, and inI fact may do the exact opposite.

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Lisa Jensen about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Weycroft neighborhood assigned to Mills Park Middle. We were just reassigned last year from the year round calendar to traditional with the opening of Hortons Creek Elementary, and happily accepted that change, so we really appreciate you keeping us on the traditional calendar and going to Mills Park Middle for continuity. Like others have said, our neighborhood has always been assigned there for middle school and as a neighborhood have invested a lot of time and resources into making it the school it is now. Slow clap to you WCPSS from the Weycroft families...

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Anne Anderson about 1 month ago

I am very happy with the first draft for the 2019-2020 school year. Our neighborhood had already been redistricted from a year round school to a traditional elementary school. Keeping those in traditional calendars funneling into traditional calendar middle schools is in the best interest of the students and families. I am so appreciative that you have kept the Amberly community districted to Mills Park Middle.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kirstin Matthews about 1 month ago

Everett Crossing thanks the WCPSS Board of Education for the new enrollment plan.

We are excited about our new year round Alston Ridge neighborhood schools. The proximity will provide for valuable sleep and study time =student achievement. It will increase student and parent involvement = student achievement and stability. Thank you for choosing year round to be able to serve so many more children and families.

Thank you for listening to all of the parents, kids and residents of all of the neighborhoods along the Church Street corridor (Everett Crossing, Kitts Creek, Providence Place)!

I attended the August 21st Board meeting and it was evident how thoughtful and deliberate you have been about the new enrollment plan. We know it is a daunting task and thank you for your efforts to to support the 4 pillars of proximity, student achievement, stability and operational efficiency.

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Stefanie Reed about 1 month ago

I am very happy with the current draft. I like that Alston Ridge MIddle is opening on a Year Round calendar. Alston Ridge is located in the fastest growing area of the region. Given the lack of support for public schools (K-3 mandate) and public funding, WCPSS does not have the funds to keep up with growth. Year round calendar schools can fit more students. WCPSS serves not just Alston Ridge region but East Wake, South Wake and North Wake. From a tax payers perspective, the year round calendar is the most fiscally responsible option. Parents in this area of town need to learn to adapt and try the year round calendar. A lot of students love the year round calendar and when they go to high school and have to convert to traditional, they miss year round.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Beth Covil about 1 month ago

My request to the WCPSS board is to please make the common sense decision to allow children to finish out their middle school at their current school and to grandfather siblings into the current school and school calendar where the family has been attending. We have been split for two years for year round and a traditional calendar. We live in Carpenter Village and my son is thriving at Davis Drive Middle School. The proposal would allow him to finish at Davis Drive but only allow his brother to complete one year at Davis Drive and then shift back to year round at Alston Ridge. Allow families to remain together at their schools! Having two calendar schedules when my children were younger is fine, but from Middle School and up families need to have one school calendar. It is a hardship on families and proximity and continuation at the present school seems the most logical choice.

9 Votes

Default_avatar

We have created a new thread for feedback about proposed reassignments from Mills Park Elementary and Middle schools. https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/2019-20-student-enrollment-proposal/topics/feedback-about-proposed-reassignments-from-mills-park-elementary-and-middle

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Preeti Vidwans about 1 month ago

Thank you for assigning the Church St corridor to Alston Ridge for proximity, and for proposing a year-round calendar to accommodate more students. One of the four pillars is proximity, and that is more important to me than having a traditional calendar with a long break. Thank you for making this decision. We love this town and although our daughter is not yet school age, this is important to us as we want to put down roots and stay here!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Felten about 1 month ago

I am supportive of this draft as it keeps the Weycroft neighborhood base middle as Mills Park. Getting Horton's Creek Elementary as a traditional calendar base school was a huge relief for many families in the neighborhood after juggling a base year round elementary and a traditional middle for years. I appreciate this draft keeping that calendar coordination intact for a community that has dealt with the student assignment challenges of this high growth area.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Alicia Champagne about 1 month ago

I am very impressed with WCPSS after reviewing this proposal. I was able to watch the YouTube feed and have looked through the presentation. Thank you for the transparency and providing the data concerning growth. It is clear the proposal isn't based on one neighborhood vs another, or one political agenda vs another, but is focused on addressing the needs of students and families in the face of exploding growth. I was skeptical of the School Board when I moved to this area (many rumors out there) but now I feel like my kids are in good hands. Even if we don't get exactly what we want, I can see the Board is thoughtful, logical and conscientious.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Laura Costa about 1 month ago

Hello....I would like to see WCPSS allow students to finish out middle school at their current assigned school. I have current 6th and 7th graders at DDMS. I find it hard to believe that my girls, who are only one grade apart, can have such different middle school trajectories - both school and calendar. I find it disheartening to think that my current 6th grader could stay at the same school as her sister for one year (school year 2019-20) but then would be forced to go to another middle school just to complete her 8th grade year. This scenario is not an optimal choice for the academic,social, emotional well being of my middle school aged daughter. I am requesting that you re-visit your grandfathering rules and allow siblings to finish out at the middle school that they have started in... middle school years are short in general and to be able to stay 2 years but not the final year would have a negative impact on my child as well as our family stability. Thank you

6 Votes
Default_avatar

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Athulya Vijayakumar about 1 month ago

We thank the School Board for deciding to assign Everett Crossing community to Alston Ridge Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle Schools. Really happy with the proposals on Draft 1.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Patrick Shou about 1 month ago

As a resident and homeowner of Evan's Farm, all family members as well as grandparents are very concerned about the reassignment to Alston Ridge Middle. Lots of our neighbors bought/rent our homes within two years ago, some of us moved in only one year ago. Traditional calendar schools, Mills Park Middle and the new Hortons Creek Elementary, was the #1 reason that we decided to live in Evan's Farm. Year round calendar provided by Alston Ridge Middle won't work well for our travel plan. Unexpectedly, we have never heard any success transfer request from neighbors in Evan's Farm or nearby communities. In addition, all other neighbor communities on Green Level Church Rd (such as Hortons, Weycroft, newly opened Amberly Glen, newly opened Ridgefield Farm) have been assigned to Mills Park Middle. Evan’s Farm is the ONLY community which will be assignment to Alston Ridge Middle. Furthermore, to be economic for the school bus system, Mills Park Middle is closer to our community. As for Hortons Creek Elementary, it's within one mile away from our community. Students from Evan's Farm can even walk there via the Nancy Branch Greenway. Therefore, please consider our request seriously and keep Mills Park Middle as the base school for Evan's Farm students. Thank you!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Abby Chen about 1 month ago

As a member of the Evans Farm community, I was very concerned and disappointed when I learned that our neighborhood was going to be reassigned to Alston Ridge Middle School from Mills Park Middle. We were assigned Mills Park Middle (MPM) for about 6 years. Traditional Schools are one reason we chose this community. Although we have West Cary Middle for traditional option. But one of the pillars used to determine school assignment is proximity. While west cary middle is far away. This means: 1) our kids will have to get up very early in the morning, losing almost 1 hour of sleep every day; and 2) our kids will also have to quit many beloved activities every day since they will come home late. They will spend hundreds of extra hours on the School Bus every year, which will be a huge waste of their time. That is also not economic for the school system. We suggest retaining Mills Park MS as our base school. Our neighborhood has been very excited about the new Hortons Creek elementary that close to our neighborhood as a traditional school option. However, our neighbors’ request about transfer for another calendar option have been denied. In addition, all our neighbor communities on green level church road (Hortons, Weycroft, newly opened Amberly Glen, newly opened Ridgefield Farm) have been assigned to MPM. To be economic for the school bus system, mills park middle school is closer to our community. It is much easier to maintain old communities’ previous assignment and assign new communities to new schools. This will save many families to transfer kids to adapt to new school system. And this is good for our kids’ health to be stable and avoid changes. Please consider our voice seriously and keep Mills Park Middle as our base school.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Perry about 1 month ago

The current proposal splits the Twin Lakes neighborhood between Alston Ridge and Pine Hollow. The neighborhood should not be split in this way. All students in Twin Lakes should have the option to attend Alston Ridge as their year round middle school.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Leigh Silverstein about 1 month ago

I could not be more happy to have Kitts Creek assigned to Alston Ridge Middle, thank you!!! We have so needed a school that was closer and I truly appreciate WCPSS promoting the pillar of proximity and assigning us to ARM. Kitts Creek wanted a closer school regardless of calendar choice and while choosing to open this school as year-round might not be the most popular calendar choice for some, it services many and allows those children more time in their day to spend with family, extra curricular activities, and just being kids. For those that calendar is the priority, this draft gives them that option albeit a little further away. I support the choices made in Draft #1 and vote they stay. Thank you WCPSS and Glenn and his team!

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Matthew Leerberg about 1 month ago

The Twin Lakes neighborhood is split in half by this proposal, with part of the neighborhood feeding to Pine Hollow and part feeding to Alston Ridge (ARM). I do not understand why the 5 to 10 year-round middle-schoolers in the southern half of the neighborhood should not be allowed to go to school with their neighbors in the northern half. Please fix. And thank you for your hard work on this.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nandini Gopinath about 1 month ago

Thank you for assigning Alston Ridge middle and elementary to the Kitts Creek neighbourhood. Having them Year round will allow more students to study there compared to traditional schools. Having a school close to home and avoiding the lengthy commute is a huge relief!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
BW Rutledge about 1 month ago

I am a mom of a 6th grader at West Cary Middle and a 2nd grader at Alston Ridge Elementary School. We have been slated to move to the new schools (Alston Ridge Middle and Parkside Valley Elementary)

I know there has been a lot of debate about whether these schools should be a traditional calendar or year round calendar.

My request is that whatever decision is made, that it is consistent for Alston Ridge Middle and Parkside Valley Elementary. I.e. either they are both traditional or both year round.

My preference is that both schools be year round. That would allow some growing room. We are tired of getting moved around and having limited options because of overcrowding, so I think a year round approach makes the most sense.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

This plan has not only been about deciding what calendar these new schools will have, it has been about REMOVING many Morrisville families from the traditional schools they are currently in. My family has been at West Cary middle for many years (multiple kids). We will now be slated for this new school that we don't want. We are told we can apply to West Cary Middle as our "optional" traditional school. Unfortunately, West Cary is full. I don't anticipate this to change, because as all parents with older kids know, all the high schools are Traditional. Families want to have a school calendar that corresponds for all their children . Please allow families to keep their current traditional calendar base!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Lily Hanemann about 1 month ago

The proposed assignment plan splits the Twin Lake neighborhood into two year-round middle school options - one close (Alston Ridge) and one far (Pine Hollow). Please revise the plan to allow all Twin Lakes families to have Alston Ridge as their year-round middle school option.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10206692967418669
Jenny Smith about 1 month ago

Thank you for keeping the Amberly neighborhood in the Mills Park Middle zone. After being forced out of our beloved elementary school last year, it is so great to see we can maintain that traditional calendar stability now from elementary on through. It would be very disruptive to have moved from a traditional elementary to a year-round middle school and then a traditional high school (while my oldest continues to follow the traditional calendar). We are less than 1 mile from the Mills Park schools and feel the proximity and school environments are the best for our family.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Christina Haisty about 1 month ago

I am a resident of Carpenter Village, and my daughter is currently a sixth grader at DDMS who is schedule to be transferred to ARMS next year. I am writing to ask the board to consider letting middle school students stay where they start instead of moving a whole chunk of them straight to ARMS. I believe moving them violates three of the four pillars: stability, operational efficiency, and student achievement.

1) Stability. Middle school is three short years. Shuffling children around like a deck of cards is obviously not conducive to this. You know this, everyone knows this.

2) Operational efficiency. It can be argued that operational efficiency is served by moving rising 7th & 8th graders to a brand new school to make the numbers work. HOWEVER, I believe it is an equally compelling argument that the Board's proposal as it stands will hobble many of the middle schools in the area. My daughter started at DDMS a couple of weeks ago. As DDMS fundraises and recruits for the PTA, it is difficult as a parent to invest my time and resources into the school when I believe there is a good chance my child will be going somewhere else next year. And then, with only two years at the ARMS, it's hard to invest in that one. Parents play a huge roll in the success of middle schools--their support, both in terms of time and dollars are a big piece of what makes these schools successful. Please don't hamstring the middle schools by alienating their parent populations. I sat in the Meet the Teacher presentation while school officials & teachers told me what a wonderful three years it would be for my daughter--but it won't be if she is shuffled around. Furthermore, it's not efficient for the middle schools losing and gaining students en masse, either. They've invested time and energy getting to know the kids and then they will have to start over with new kids in the short time allotted to middle school. If we want to prevent the kind of tragedies occurring at schools in other parts of the country, we need our teachers and our administrators to have time to build meaningful relationships with their students.

3) Student achievement. The Board says it cares about student achievement, and I am asking you to prove it by letting middle school students grandfather at their current schools until they finish. The transition to middle school is a big one for students; fraught with nerves, hormones, and levels of academic and social pressure previously not experienced. I appreciate that the Board has opted not to move rising 8th graders, but that isn't enough. To take rising 7th graders who literally just made the adjustment to middle school and force them into another school is just poor planning.

Because our children shouldn't be shuffled like playing cards, because middle school is such a short time for families & school staff to get invested in each other, because the transition to middle school is hard enough socially and academically without having to adjust to a new school... PLEASE reconsider your grandfathering policy for middle school so that 7th and 8th graders can be grandfathered.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

12 Votes
Default_avatar
Wendy Pizzo about 1 month ago

Excellent points! I agree with all of this!

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Yes!

3 Votes

Default_avatar

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Raghu Manne about 1 month ago

We live in Chessington community and we keep getting re-assigned every year for middle school. There is no long term stability in the assignments.

Please revise your plan and do not reassign existing & established neighborhoods to different schools and calendars. Please keep Chessington neighborhood at Davis Drive Middle as base. ARMS can be a year round calendar option school.

As per WCPSS they are doing this to align calendars from K-8. Why not align calendars 6-12 instead ?

Please don't force families in the name of calendar alignment. The most logical solution is to add ARMS as Year-Round choice instead of changing our base. Families who prefer year round can always request their calendar choice.

New communities should be assigned to new schools or under-utilized schools not well established communities. Please, Please, Please don't change our base school from DDMS.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Rupali Tayal about 1 month ago

Thank you to WCPSS Board for taking parents’ feedback on Draft 1. I want to resound what so many other parents are saying that we want TRADITIONAL calendar base close to our homes(Providence Place). According to Draft 1, to keep traditional calendar our elementary students are forced to go to Powell Magner, which is 1- 1.5 hour drive one-way. Similarly for middle school, West Cary MS is being put as 'transfer application', which are usually granted on 'hardship' basis - very subjective and vague, and usually denied to parents. There HAS TO BE 1 traditional base and 1 Year round base. LET the families choose what works best for them. We CANNOT be penalized for Town/City’s approval of new development without consideration to basic needs such as School.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Jimmy Dorff about 1 month ago

I am very happy that Morrisville Elementary area is assigned to Alston Ridge Middle. I'm sure ARM is going be a wonderful school for my kids!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Bromirski about 1 month ago

Traditional calendars are simply a thing of the past in this overly populated area that continues to grow at light speed. We live in a wonderful area - west Cary/Morrisville area but in order to enjoy proximity for all of us, year round is the only clear (and fiscally responsible) choice. We live in Kitts Creek and are so hopeful our rising 5th grader will start at ARM YR school. Thank you!

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Christina Haisty about 1 month ago

If they are really a thing of the past, then the high schools should follow suit. Until they do, they're an incredible hardship for families with more than one child or children not close in age.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

I can imagine it would be and perhaps this area should and will consider making area high schools YR as well as we simply don't have enough schools for the population (& cont'd growth) and none of us want our kids bussed long distance.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

And for those with multiple children/ages, this is the only argument for traditional calendar that I personally can sympathize with. Gone are the days of farm life where families needed their children off for summer months to help. A YR calendar still allows for family travel with the added bonus of enjoying different seasons (such as lower priced vacations during off seasons) and with all the track out camps I assume it's much easier to occupy your children for shorter periods of time then a long, hot summer. I know the teachers have to also appreciate the breaks as much as the children do. Obviously these are common points. But truly again, we all want our children at schools close to our homes. Proximity! And we live in a rapidly growing area...city planners should coulda woulda planned for growth being we are all close to Research Triangle Park but we can't rewrite the past and can only work with what we have today and start planning for the continued growth that's pouring in our lovely area. This situation will only worsen.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Santanu Mohapatra about 1 month ago

Please allow Davis middle/Mills park middle for Green Hope Elementary school kids who want to go to traditional, it will be very difficult to go to East Cary/West Cary, it is very far and long drive for kids and hectic for parents who live on Davis drive close to carpenter or McCrimmon Pkwy to attend school events.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Tatia Markland about 1 month ago

As a Carpenter Village resident and a parent of an incoming ARMS middle schooler next year, I think the new school sounds great and am happy that many of the neighborhoods near ours will also be assigned to the school. I think this will help us establish a sense of community in our new environment.

I am still disappointed that we won’t even have the option of attending DDMS: many of our friends and neighbors have helped to make DDMS the great school that it is, and we were looking forward to being part of this community.

Having attended the public advisory session last week and read many of the other parent comments, my requests to WCPSS are:

1. Please consider removing some of the neighborhoods that have been newly added to DDMS in this proposal in order to allow currently assigned neighborhoods to keep DDMS as their traditional calendar option. This would not only give us a closer traditional calendar option than West Cary MS, it would also ensure greater stability for students already attending DDMS who wouldn’t be grandfathered in under the current proposal.
  2. Please consider neighborhood schools as the centerpiece of the 4 pillars (stability, proximity, academic excellence, and operational efficiency). Treating schools and neighborhoods like interchangeable puzzle pieces is detrimental to all of the pillars.
  3. Please do your best to keep existing track assignments aligned at ARMS so that our children can remain with their peer groups while going through this transition.
  4. Please help us understand how new schools will be staffed so that we feel more confident that we won’t be giving up the educational quality we were expecting at DDMS.
  5. Please utilize the year round option more equitably to increase the capacity of existing schools before pushing existing neighborhoods out of those schools. If you are concerned about widespread backlash, you might consider surveying parents before they know if they’d be the winners (people who’d get to keep their school and their calendar) or losers (people who’d suddenly be forced to attend a different school) in this ongoing game of musical schools.
  6. Please do not push existing neighborhoods from their assigned schools to make room for new developments. I know this sounds heartless, but I see no reason that the towns or developers would stop building more homes than our infrastructure can support when they can promise buyers top notch schools by forcing existing residents out of those schools.
14 Votes
Default_avatar

Well stated! I agree with this!

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Bob Jansto about 1 month ago

I am happy that Morrisville Elementary is assigned to Alston Ridge Middle School. I believe this to be wonderful middle school option!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Elizabeth ColeWalker about 1 month ago

I am very happy with the elementary (carpenter elementary) and middle school (ARMS) alignment. Families that prefer year-round school have been ignored for years and they have been inconvenienced with having only East Cary as the year-round option. Kids had to get on a bus by 6 am to attend and be transported across town. Year round is a paradigm shift for many but really makes more sense for educating kids in a modern world with population growth and funding challenges. Truth is that many studies that have been recently published have sited that all the choice has not improved schools, but has diluted the ability to improve schools and has polarized communities by social economic and racial lines. Reality is that proximity is the last pillar because school districts have to restore the demographics of public schools to a balanced state. Please keep Carpenter Elementary and ARMS Carpenter Village's base schools. If Wake County still insists on having both a "traditional" and year-round calendar mix of schools, then providing a reasonable traditional option should also be a reasonable request too.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Our family is in strong disagreement with your proposal to move our child from DDMS to ARMS. We live in the Magnolia neighborhood (right next to Carpenter Village), and we, too, have been bounced around for years, it’s time for some stability. We are distressed and upset about facing the possibility of living on 2 different calendars for many years to come. Our child has just begun as a 6th grader at DDMS only to face the possibility of being move to not only a new school, but a different calendar.

I attended 2 of the informational meetings. One point I heard is that they would like to align calendars when it makes sense. “When it makes sense”! Based on the majority of this neighborhood area attending GHE, it “makes sense” to continue with the middle school being DDMS. Having capped Carpenter Elementary as the base school is kind of a false picture of the area. Expansion of the GHE base was discussed in the slide presentation, naturally this would make sense to make GHE the base school (with year round option of CES) and keep us with DDMS, aligning k-8 and adding to the GHE base.

While we enjoyed our time at Carpenter Elementary on the year round schedule, when our eldest began to attend DDMS it was obvious that it would be tremendously stressful to live on 2 different calendars and we were able to transfer our middle child to GHE. Now we are faced, next fall, with having a rising junior at GHHS (traditional), rising 7th grader at ARMS (year round), and rising 3rd grader at GHE (again, traditional). There is no way this would not be incredibly disruptive and stressful to our family to live on multiple calendars, and for such an extended period of time. And frankly, it is very stressful to contemplate. Calendar alignment is very important to our family. With limited time left at home for our high school student, the conflict of traditional and year round would make it extremely difficult to spend family time together (very little common time off, no longer a spring break together, no longer a summer together). Our middle school student would need to be pulled out of school for family travel, which would not be a great option, but forced as the only one. (*should become an excused absence, and not be penalized because of the decision a school system has placed upon the family of school calendar).

The traditional “option” of West Cary is unsatisfactory and violates 3 of the pillars for a number of reasons.

-STABILITY & ACHIEVEMENT: Our middle child has been looking forward to attending DDMS for as long as her oldest sibling has gone there, she has become familiar with the school and feels comfortable there. Only a few short weeks ago, we sat in the rising 6th grader orientation, and were told by the wonderful principal, Rick Williams, how DDMS prides itself on building relationships and partnering with students and family. The administration is clearly very invested in the success of its community of students. (on the wall a large mural is painted stating “Purpose. Inspire. Achieve.” and their motto is “effort drives excellence”.) How is this possible to attain if the children are only to be there for one year, only to be uprooted and shuffled to a new school? This is academically detrimental if it is a forced move and we feel it could negatively impact our child’s academic performance. {also worth noting which could foreseeably have a negative impact on academics is the recently released grading of the schools – DDMS achieved a school performance grade of A (88), while WCMS earned a B (71)}. Middle school is a stressful enough time of adjustment and growth, and most importantly, preparing to be successful in high school. With all the negative and awful things happening our world today, a child deserves to have some stability concerning where they attend school, and not have more stress added to their young lives. I would like to hear an explanation as to how being forced to switch middle schools (and possibly calendar), which are such a short amount of time (3 years flies by), will have a positive influence on my child’s education. They should not be removed from a school that has already welcomed them. WCMS also has an hour earlier start time, which would be a challenge, starting at nearly the same time as GHHS. Should I need to drive my children due to extracurricular activities, it is impossible to be able to do that. We also disagree with placing our young children on the bus during hours of darkness. A school that is further away will have less parental involvement, which also plays an important part in a school’s success.

-OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY: Although it may not sound like much that WCMS is 5.4 miles away, and DDMS is only 3.5 miles away (and minimal traffic), there is a substantial difference in the amount of time it takes to get there and the traffic patterns. The rush hour traffic on NC-54 is much heavier and triples the amount of time children would spend on the bus. This is not operational efficiency. Not to mention the inefficiency for the schools, they invest time & energy getting to know students and building meaningful relationships.

It’s also a little ironic how 2 of the pillars, stability and operational efficiency, are deemed important for the school system, but not for families. We strive to provide stability and operational efficiency for our families in our daily lives in the community in which we live and that deserves respect, as well.

While we can appreciate a place for year round schools, we believe they should be optional, as they are not something that will work for everyone’s families. Life on 2 different calendars would create great hardship for our family. Please leave DDMS as the traditional option for the Magnolia & Carpenter area. We are part of the community that has built these schools. It is perplexing that small pockets of areas are being moved around and Carpenter Elementary will be over capacity. Why not let our local neighborhoods attend GHE and those who choose to do so, opt for year round at CES? At a minimum, middle school children should be allowed to stay where they start. Again, it is such a short amount of time and moving them at a vulnerable age could have detrimental effects, creating additional unnecessary stress.

We are neighborhoods which have been established for 13 & 20+ years, not exactly new development. This area has earned some stability. Ironically, part of the reason we are being pushed out is because of the new development which has made no contribution to the community we have built. This issue has been fought may times in our neighborhood area, and we are tired of the unworkable choices that WCPSS continues to offer in place of our current traditional assignments.

Also, with unending new development on the other side of Hwy 55 and near the Alston Ridge area, ARMS will soon be populated organically. It seems only a matter of time that those moved from DDMS to ARMS would be shuffled yet again by the populating of new development. (children being sent from DDMS to ARMS, then back to GHHS- a mile away, while other children are sent from MPMS to DDMS and then back across Hwy 55 to Green Level or PCHS, this shuffling is perplexing). Please let this established area keep DDMS as our traditional middle school.

The best option is to keep DDMS as our middle school (and make GHE the base school with CES as optional year round), but at a minimum, these children deserve to stay where they start. Please consider grandfathering 6th graders, and possibly extend to siblings to keep on the same calendar so that we do not have to worry about facing 2 school calendars with multiple children for an extended number of years.

We hope you will sincerely consider these implications on families and do the right thing.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Laura Mentler about 1 month ago

I appreciate that you offer these forums for feedback. I attended the meeting last Thursday night at Hortons Creek Elementary. After listening to the presentation, I had a some feedback on the proposal. Some are general thoughts on the proposal and the grandfathering policy and some are specific to my neighborhood, Carpenter Village.

The proposed plan does not provide a stable, long-term traditional calendar plan for Carpenter Village. At the elementary school level, year after year Carpenter Village (CV) residents have been denied transfers to Green Hope Elementary, while at the same time this new plan asserts a need to expand GHE base (still not including Carpenter Village which is barely a mile from the school.) Under this proposed plan, not only is the base middle school assignment being changed to a different school with a different calendar, the traditional calendar school that many of our children already attend, DDMS, will no longer be an option. This would be changed to a school that is farther away and likely busing will take much longer due to traffic on Morrisville’s congested roads.

Families are given West Cary Middle School as a traditional “option”. How are CV residents to trust that they will not be denied WCMS as they have been denied the traditional option of GHE for so many years through the application for transfer process? With WCPSS continued denial of our neighborhood residents’ requests, how can we trust that we will get approved for the WCMS option. Basically sending everyone in the neighborhood to a calendar option that they do not want.

Have you considered changing the base elementary school for Carpenter Village to Green Hope Elementary (instead of capped Carpenter Elementary) and keeping the middle school as Davis Drive Middle? It would increase the base at Green Hope Elementary and align the calendar k-8 for the neighborhood. Many people in Carpenter Village have tried over the years to transfer into GHE and have been denied. Some families end up staying at Carpenter (which is capped), some end up at Weatherstone (which you mentioned as overcrowded) or private schools with traditional calendars when they would prefer to stay in WCPSS. As for middle school, DDMS is not currently capped. It is the closest middle school option for Carpenter Village distance-wise and the easiest commute with little traffic as it is a straight shot down Davis Drive. You are also considering moving students from Mills Park Middle (where many families spoke out at the meeting in opposition to this part of your proposal). If you choose to not move them, that leaves room for our children at DDMS (where they are already settled and happy). Have you broken it down to the exact number of students this would impact from Carpenter Village to remove them from DDMS? If you make Alston Ridge Middle as the year-round option for middle, there are likely many families that have younger kids at Carpenter Elementary that would be happy to go with the year-round option for grades 6-8, especially at a brand new school. You might be surprised if you offered a short survey to parents about what they would choose if given this choice.

Another option would be to keep DDMS as our traditional option instead of changing to West Cary Middle School. This has been our neighborhood option and year after year, our neighborhood has expressed that we do not mind the misaligned calendars. Our neighborhood families (parent involvement & students) have been a part of the population (for 5+ years) and climate that makes DDMS the blue ribbon school that it is. DDMS is more proximate by miles and is a straight drive with minimal traffic compared to commuter traffic path to get to WCMS.

Have you considered that middle school age children would do better to remain at the school they start in? Welcoming students into a school in 6th grade to then take them out when they have adjusted to new routines, schedules and peer groups can be harmful to students’ emotional well being at this age. I urge you to consider adjusting the grandfathering rules to include rising 7th & 8th graders to stay at their current middle school. This would provide students that have already started with stable, proximate middle school experience. Middle school is the shortest length of school offered in WCPSS (6-8 grades) To allow this path would only add one additional year to phase in the new school base assignments. Families that do not currently have a student at the school would have to apply to the new base or calendar option school as set forth in the plan moving forward. Children at these ages are more vulnerable to transitions and life changes. With all the social pressures and changes that they are already experiencing, they should not be removed from a school that has already welcomed them. It is important to be cognizant of the statistics about children at these ages and their mental health.

In closing, as a parent of three WCPSS students, two of which are currently settling into a new school year at Davis Drive Middle in 6th and 8th grade, I urge you to consider keeping Carpenter Village’s middle school base as Davis Drive Middle School. I say this as a parent who has had children at a year-round base for elementary school and was perfectly fine having a traditional middle school. We had two calendars for two years and would not like to go back to the mismatch that will occur once our older child starts high school next year. The only option for high school is traditional calendar and to expect families to go back and forth with the calendar in this way is unreasonable and does not provide this family with any stability at all.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Ipshita R about 1 month ago

We live in the Olde Carpenter Division and have two kids. My older kid already attends a traditional calendar school. We are very disappointed to see that in the new draft 1, our traditional calendar option is West Cary middle School, which is very far away. It may takes an hour thru congested part of the town just to get to school on the current bus route. My younger daughter would love to attend DDMS as per current assignment, but she will be re-assigned to ARMS, which is not our preference at all as we would want both our kids on the same calendar year. DDMS is 6-8 minute drive from or home which enables her to get valuable sleep time and continue with her private extracurricular activities as well as participate in after-school activities/clubs. Please reconsider your decision and retain DDMS as the traditional calendar year option for our subdivision or else kindly consider changing ARMS to a traditional calendar year. Thanks

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Anirban Roy about 1 month ago

We live in Olde Carpenter community (adjacent to Carpenter Village). Under the proposed Draft 1 reassignment plan, our community has been moved to ARMS from DDMS, which was our current base assignment; WCMS has been provided as a traditional option. Unfortunately, our community has been forced into a similar discussion two years in a row now. We don’t agree to this plan because of following reasons:

1) We have 2 kids, and under the current plan, they will be on different calendars. Calendar alignment is very important to have a quality family time together and plan for vacations. Our family travels together for 4+ weeks to care of elderly parents which will no longer be possible without long absence. Families deserve school calendar alignment for all of their children rather than being forced on to different calendars.

2) Majority in our neighborhood attends traditional Green Hope elementary(GHE). The traditional choice, WCMS, for us is far away and will add an extra hour of bus ride through a busy and congested part of the Cary compared to current assignment. This raises question about kids safety and impacts physical being and wellness because of the sedentary aspect. The kid will end up spending several hundred extra hours on bus ride every year. Three other significant impacts resulting in poor student performance will be –

• loss of valuable sleep & study time

• student & parent involvement in after-school clubs/activities

• hardly any time available for pursuing out-of-school extracurricular activities like music, sports etc.

How is this good for the student? Long busing hours is also not economical for the school district.

3) Current plan also adds new areas to DDMS (west side of Hwy 55) while removing currently assigned established neighborhoods. If reducing over-crowding is the goal, then why are new neighborhoods being added? Please reconsider removing these new neighborhoods and keep existing assignments for current neighborhoods. This would provide a closer traditional option and stability to us.

4) Several other adjacent neighborhoods from the same side of Morrisville Parkway – like LakeRidge Townhomes a