UPDATE SEPT. 18 - Draft 2

• The school board received Draft 2 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal on Tuesday, Sept. 18.

Look up your address to see your proposed assignment in Draft 2 of the proposal. 

Here are the main changes recommended in Draft 2:

• The following neighborhoods would remain based at Cedar Fork Elementary and West Cary Middle instead of being assigned to Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle School:
    • Families in the Parkside Elementary base attendance area would have the option to apply to Pleasant Grove Elementary as a traditional calendar application school, as well as Powell Magnet Elementary. Under this proposal, Pleasant Grove calendar application students would not receive district transportation while Powell students would. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A portion of the Poe Elementary base would be assigned to the new Southeast Raleigh Elementary. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • The Draft 1 proposal for all students in the Southeast Raleigh Elementary base attendance area to be assigned to Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High will be phased in, instead of happening immediately. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A downtown Raleigh area assigned to Turner Creek Elementary would be assigned to Conn Elementary, Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High beginning 2019-20. Draft 1 had recommended making this change in 2020-21. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

Other considerations

We have received a good deal of feedback online regarding some of the proposed changes.

We are not recommending any additional changes at this time, but our staff is continuing to review information regarding proposed assignments from Davis Drive Middle to East Cary Middle and from Mills Park Elementary and Middle to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle (Cameron Pond neighborhood.)

Today’s presentation contains staff responses to the proposed changes that have prompted the most feedback. 

What happens next?

Parents can continue to share their feedback on this forum.

We also have scheduled four public meetings where parents will have an opportunity to learn more information and share feedback in person.

Please note that each of these meetings will have a specific topic focus. Please attend the meeting regarding the proposal that applies to you. If you attend a meeting focused on a topic that does not affect you, there will be student assignment staff available to help answer your questions.

• Sept. 24 - Cary High School, 638 Walnut St., Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to East Cary and West Cary Middle schools, as well as proposed calendar application school changes.
    • Sept. 26 - Wakefield Middle School, 2300 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh - TOPIC: Proposed assignments to relieve overcrowding at Heritage High School.
    • Oct. 3 - Panther Creek High School - 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to Alston Ridge Middle School and Parkside Elementary School.
    • Oct. 1 - Apex High School (Green Level campus) - 7600 Roberts Road, Cary - TOPIC: The opening of the new Green Level High School. Information will be presented about likely academic and extracurricular offerings in the first years of the school.

Draft 3 will be presented to the board on Oct. 16, and the board will then begin working toward a final plan. A vote is expected on Nov. 20. View full timeline.

Draft 1 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal was released on Aug. 21.

This is the beginning of a community discussion about the best ways to fill new schools opening in 2019 and to make the best use of existing school facilities. We are committed to ensuring that every child in Wake County attends an excellent school, no matter where they live.

We strive for a collaborative and transparent process. On this forum, we encourage you to find the topic thread that applies to you, then ask questions and provide feedback. School district staff and board members monitor this site regularly.

We will be able to respond directly to questions of process or clarification. We will answer more detailed questions in a frequently asked questions document.

Some students currently assigned to Green Hope High are proposed to attend Apex High starting in 2019-20.

Share your feedback and ask questions about this proposal below. 

115 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Eun Bang 3 months ago

I live in MacArthur Park/Gralyn, and it looks like this neighborhood will be re-assigned from Green Hope High School to Apex High School for 2019/2020. The Wake County School Board should not attempt to tear this neighborhood apart again simply because of new neighborhoods built around us. This neighborhood has been in this area forever investing in Green Hope High School (GHHS) in many ways. My son is currently going to DDMS and ready to start his high school at GHHS next year. GHHS has been a feeder pattern high school for Davis Drive Middle School for many years. GHHS is in Cary where I have lived more than 10 years, and now the School Board is proposing to send my son to a school in Apex where we do not have any involvement, i.e. shopping, activities, work, etc. My son will be involved in an athletic team, so he may not be riding a school bus every day??? That means we have to drive longer in the totally opposite direction (totally out of our way), adding approximately one hour to our daily commute. My house is closer to GHHS than any other high schools in this area, and GHHS is a neighboring school. We should keep our kids in our neighboring school in a city we live in. I don’t understand the logic behind the proposal as the re-assignment does not make sense at all.

52 Votes

Default_avatar
Tracy Zimmermann 3 months ago

I am also against this change. With the new Green Level high school opening, that should help relieve the overcrowding at Panther Creek, and also Green Hope. This area (Bond Lake Drive/Cary Pkwy) has been long time Green Hope High school families. Green Hope is our closest high school. Apex high school is twice as far. Kids that ride bikes will no longer be able to due to the distance, and kids that utilize the bus will end up with longer commutes and will effect their after school jobs and responsibilities. I understand it is difficult to appease everyone, but at this time I don’t think changes should be made to our neighborhood.

48 Votes

Default_avatar
Julianne Kirby 3 months ago

I agree with the above posters. My third child is going through Green Hope right now and his sister will soon follow-this proposed change makes me nauseous as it throws off everything as we have always known it. We know the school, the teachers, the extra-curriculars, etc. and have a real community here. McArthur Park/Bond Lake area going to Apex makes zero sense because it is in the opposite direction of where our community is. The is an established area of Cary that should be totally left alone and Green Hope is where it makes logical sense for our kids to go. I totally agree we shouldn't have our sense of community fractured because of new neighborhoods and I also agree that the new schools opening up should relieve some of the overcrowding. Having four kids, I have been through reassignment threats (or actual reassignments) before and it's such a stress on parents and families. Any sense of community we have built up is instantly threatened-the threat alone is bad enough. I do not understand the logic behind this proposal at all either....please think of the community and neighborhood impact.

42 Votes

Default_avatar
Eleanor Thorne 3 months ago

We were promised many times by the WCPSS that they believed in, and encouraged a sense of Community. We live just minutes from Davis Drive schools. we are in MacArthur Park - and yet our children are reassigned as Magnet Schools for their primary school. Now, you are proposing that neighbors, who have grown up believing they would follow their friends to Green Hope would be allowed to continue in that Community, would not. This doesn't make sense as the School Board is opening a new school that will bring enrollment down for Panther Creek and that part of Green Hope's footprint. Why would the School Board want to further tear the Community and put folks who IDENTIFY as CARY RESIDENTS into the APEX Community?? This truly makes no sense, and we would appreciate a re-consideration.

42 Votes

Default_avatar
Joanne LaManna 3 months ago

My daughter graduated GHHS in 2017, excellent school! While I no longer have a child in WCPSS I am still against the proposed for MacArthur Park neighborhood to be reassigned to the Apex HS. Makes no logical sense at all-make the new subdivisions going in left & right move, not a long time well established neighborhood like MP. Understand the overcrowding & growth issue but breaking apart neighborhoods is NOT the way to solve it.

42 Votes

Default_avatar
Daniel Kirby 3 months ago

I am against reassigning Green Hope students to Apex. This will have a very negative impact on our family in the near future. We have a sophomore at GHHS who has made strong connections through the school through academics and cross country, and we were excited to send our 7th grader there where she could participate in the excellent marching band program. Although there is grandfathering, the LACK OF TRANSPORTATION SUPPORT makes it very difficult for parents to manage the change. We have already suffered through several re-assignments and it seems like we never can be settled for more than a year or two before another one appears. And from a student proximity to school standpoint the change doesn't make sense, at least for our immediate area. Please re-consider this proposal I know it will affect my family negatively and I'm sure others feel the same way.

42 Votes

Default_avatar
Cary Resident 3 months ago

Why is Macarthur Park assigned to Apex High when subdivisions along Davis Driver that are farther south (closer to Apex) remain at Green Hope? The change does not affect me nor do I want to cause trouble for others but I am always curious how these things align with your operational efficiency pillar. You will literally have those buses driving southbound towards AHS while other buses are driving N/B to GHHS. THat makes no sense, especially with the building going on in Apex right now.

40 Votes

Default_avatar
Eliza Minerly 3 months ago

Many people moved to this community (MacArthur Park) knowing they were going to Green Hope High school. Why has this changed? This not only will upset those with kids about to enter high school, but those that just moved here with the expectation of sending their kids to this school. Making this change will also lower home values as Green Hope High School is a high performing school, while Apex High doesn't seem to do as well. According to greatschools.org, Apex high rates significantly lower in student progress. That means they are not learning at an expected rate where as Green Hope High School rates much higher and the students perform much better and better prepared for their future decisions. Of these two choices, where would you naturally want to send your children? This has made our area very pleased to know that our kids will become a part of the Green Hope High School educational expectations and environment. Now, we are expected to send our kids to a less performing school when that is not what was promised to us when we moved to this community. Why does it seem this community is constantly being targeted to change where our kids go? Kids need stability just as much as us parents do. I moved here knowing that my two young boys would be going to Laurel Park Elementary year-round school. Every year, up until this year, their middle school has been on the list to possibly be changed to traditional. That has created a lot of stress for us and our boys. They love the year-round school calendar as it has worked well for them and us as a family. We are very grateful that Salem MS is still available to us as a year-round school. But now my boys are really upset they may be going to Apex High. Yes, kids this young care where they are expected to go. They have been looking forward to going to Green Hope High because of its sport teams and its reputation. They have already been researching the stats on their teams as well as their curriculum. They were very disappointed to hear they may be going to Apex High instead. It matters to kids. It matters to us parents. This is not where we expected to go, and this is not the change this community needs.

31 Votes
Default_avatar
Carol Kwiatkowski 2 months ago

I agree completely - we moved to this area this summer so that my kids could go to Green Hope. To make them change schools AGAIN to go to a lesser rated school is very disappointing.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Johnson 3 months ago

We live in Bond Pointe and the proposal reassigns our daughters from Green Hope to Apex High. While we believe that both are great schools, we are happy with the change since our kids have gone to Laurel Park Elementary and Salem Middle. Among their friends at Salem, they have always been in the minority as far as being assigned to Green Hope. Most have always been assigned to Apex. As beginning high school is daunting enough, it is even more so for kids knowing that they will not go through the transition with established friends. It is also worth noting that parents invest in relationships with other parents during those elementary and middle school years and feel a sense of community with those parents that is important during the final stretch of the education experience before college. We appreciate the thought behind keeping school communities together as they feed from elementary to middle to high school.

9 Votes
Default_avatar
Angela Wilson 2 months ago

I want to echo Amy's sentiment. My daughter has also built a community at Laurel Park Elementary and Salem middle, but we live in one of the two other nodes that were assigned to Cary High North of Cary Parkway vs Green Hope, or Apex HS. With the upcoming opening of Green Level, when there became a possibility of a reassignment, I looked into all possible High School options, including our current Cary High assignment, and gave my child positives for each of the options. That assignment to Apex High rather than Cary High would keep us with the majority of the community she's developed was one of those pros for this possible option.

6 Votes
Default_avatar
Angela Wilson about 1 month ago

Just to be clear so this is not lost in the others as options are considered for Draft 3, parents of children living in The Forest, Brookgreen Forest, and The Ranches neighborhoods are happy with the assignment plan to add us to Apex High, and keep us with our Laurel Park, and Salem Middle School community. I do not claim to speak for all, just representing those at our Salem Middle School bus stop, but I have not seen comments otherwise either.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Ann Schutte 3 months ago

I live right off Bond Lake Drive, in Charleston Woods. In the current draft proposal, we will be assigned to Apex High school, which I support. My kids attend Laurel Park ES and Salem MS, and both are in Apex. It doesn't make sense for them to attend schools for 9 years in Apex, build that sense of community, and then have them go to a high school outside of Apex. We also appreciate the thought behind keeping school communities together throughout elementary, middle, and high school.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Teri Kuhn 3 months ago

I am strongly against reassigning children from MacArthur Park to Apex High School. We live in Cary, we work in Cary, we have gone to Cary schools, we don't want to suddenly send our kids to a school in another city. We love this community and want to go to school in this community. We moved to this area specifically so that our kids could go to one of the best rated schools in North Carolina (i.e. Green Hope High) and now suddenly we're told he's being reassigned to a school that is not only in another city, but also has a much lower rating and is much farther away. This makes no sense at all. He went to Davis Drive Middle school, which is the feeder school for Green Hope, and which has a well-established communication network between the two schools - the teachers at each school communicate with each other regularly about preparedness, expectations, and they work hard to make sure each student's transition from DDMS to GHHS is smooth. How can you uproot children who have made connections and put them through this jarring experience of once again being new, not knowing anyone, and very likely not being on the same track they're on now? My son has a GHHS banner on his wall, we have decals on our car, his favorite hoodie says GHHS on it. These may sound like small things, but they are HUGE to him. He feels a sense of connectedness and belonging. We all do. Please don't do this to him, to us, to the many other kids in this area being reassigned. It is so much against our wishes, our hopes, our expectations... I beg Wake County to reconsider.

32 Votes

Default_avatar
Ravisha Weerasinghe 3 months ago

Our family is strongly against reassigning children From MacArthur Park to Apex High school. We live on Covington Square Drive and the proposed WhiteOak Greenway extension is going to be is right on our backyard. Our children currently attend Davis Drive Middle and Davis Drive Elementary and we bike to school. When our base attendance schools changed from Davis Drive Elementary and Davis Drive Middle schools, we were against it since we would rather go to our neighborhood schools. At the time, we were assured that we would be given the option of transferring to our calendar options which are closer. Now we are appalled that the WCPSS is removing our option of going to the closest high school. Why is our neighborhood which is in Cary, given a high school in Apex, which is at a further distance than Green Hope? Why are neighborhoods which are at the larger distance zoned to green hope? As a matter of fact, why are neighborhoods which are at a larger distance than MacArthur Park zoned into Davis Drive elementary or the Middle school? Would it not be more logistically and economically sensible to go to closer school? On a personal level, I do not want to have discussion with my son on why he cant go to high school next year with his friends. It will be too upsetting to put him in a school where he has no connection to. And as a parent who is very active in the my children's school community, I think that distance from a school puts a serious limit on parental involvement in schools as well. Please reconsider your proposal.

31 Votes
Default_avatar
Teri Kuhn 3 months ago

I completely agree with your comment about how this change would affect parental involvement. I hadn't thought of that amid all the other reasons why this reassignment makes no sense. It's hard enough as it is to get parents involved in their kids' schools, but they are going to be even less inclined to be involved if the school is outside of their community, outside of their city even. Thanks so much for pointing this out, great point.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Valerie Zagacki 3 months ago

I live in the MacAurthur Park subdivision of Cary. My family and many of my neighbors are strongly opposed to reassigning our children from Green Hope to Apex High School. Our neighborhood has been assigned to Green Hope for as long as I've lived in Cary, which is over 16 years. One of the primary reasons that we chose to purchase a home in our neighborhood was the positive feedback our neighbors had about Green Hope High School. I do not understand why our children will be transferred to Apex when Green Hope is so close to us. In addition, we have watched Cary grow and burst at the seams much to our dismay. Now our children may have to suffer the consequences of Cary growth. Our older neighborhood has always been established as a Green Hope feeder and we want it to stay that way! We are a very diverse neighborhood with many socioeconomic differences. Our population is not dense. Please reconsider keeping MacArthur Park with Green Hope HS.

31 Votes

Default_avatar
Soha Khazaeli 3 months ago

I am strongly against reassigning children from MacArthur Park to Apex High School. I live in a neighborhood between MacAurthur and Waldo Road.I specifically bought my house because it was in walking distance of Davis Drive schools and also in the zone of Green Hope. I applied, got declined, appealed and got declined last year and this year for Davis Drive Elementary School and Davis Drive Middle School for my son. Now I am understanding this process will probably happen again for high school. This is not the way to handle the problem. Relocating students to further away schools waste many resources and the precious time. Instead there are some other ways wake county public school can do such as just accepting rent contract or ownership deed for proving residency, developing more schools based on demography, etc.

28 Votes

Default_avatar
Daniel Santajuliana 3 months ago

I am against the reassignment of children from Green Hope HS to Apex. This seems to be a common view of our neighborhood (area of Mc Arthur Parkway and Waldo Rood). Families in this neighborhood have sent their children to Green Hope for years. We currently have our daughter there, and the prospect of having to go to another school, farther from our home, in the middle of the high school process, is not something we were expecting. I understand the issues related to development and demographics, but this is not the way to act, affecting children, parents and the whole neighborhood. Many decisions have been taken by thousands of people, who came to this area, based on the presence of Green Hope HS. A sudden and illogical move like this would be a major problem for everyone.

27 Votes

Default_avatar
Sue Creaser 3 months ago

I have 2 students at Green Hope High and am VERY MUCH AGAINST relocating them to Apex High. We live in the Bond Pointe neighborhood. My son will be a senior and my daughter a sophomore in the 2019-2020 school year. Forcing a kid to change schools in the middle of high school would be very difficult on a teenager or any child.

Please consider this suggestion: Assign the MANY, MANY new neighborhoods being developed in the area to the schools that you want to fill!!! It may not be the perfect solution but it would be much easier on kids and families who are deeply involved in their current schools. Please remember that families, continuity and stability matter!

20 Votes

Default_avatar
L M 3 months ago

I am against the reassignment of our families from Green Hope High School to Apex High School. MacArthur Park has been at Green Hope HS since it opened. Although our current base assignment is Laurel Park ES and Salem MS, when construction finishes on the greenway connection, MacArthur Park will have access to both an adjacent Davis Drive elementary and middle schools. This access will place MacArthur Park in the walk-zone to these schools. At this point in time, it will only make sense for WCPSS to make the Davis Drive Schools the base schools for MacArthur Park. Given this and all the new development surrounding Laurel Park, it makes no sense to move our families now only to move them back in a couple of years. We are already closer to Green Hope HS than to Apex HS. New neighborhoods do not have an expectation of stability when they are first constructed so they can be assigned to new schools without disruption to families. It makes no sense to move a 20-year established neighborhood to a different school. Please leave our families at Green Hope High School.

29 Votes

Default_avatar
Christy Gingerich 3 months ago

We recently moved to MacArthur Park because of Green Hope High School. This is causing a lot of stress to our family. As we are unpacking boxes, we are considering the possibility of another move to get our sons within Green Hope boundaries. Our oldest is currently in 8th grade so we'd have to move again soon. Keeping MacArthur Park in Green Hope boundaries is very important to us.

29 Votes
Default_avatar
Mathew Burton 3 months ago

I too just moved here especially for the high school assignment to Green Hope High. I just hope and pray that common sense from WCPSS and their ability to see the potential negative outcome from this proposed move will negate said proposed change of school districts.

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Lisa McNeill 3 months ago

I am opposed to moving MacArthur Park to Apex High School. The Town of Cary Greenway connecting MacArthur Park to Davis Drive and the adjacent Davis Drive Schools is planned to begin Spring 2019. Once completed, this will place MacArthur Park in the walk zone to Davis Drive. From a planning perspective, stability for MacArthur Park is to remain at Green Hope High School so families are not moved once again when the greenway is completed.

There are many developments in construction around the Laurel Park Elementary and Salem Middle School campuses. Completion of these developments timed with the opening of the greenway should be sufficient cause for moving MacArthur Park’s base schools back to the Davis Drive Campus.

MacArthur Park residents have continuously requested: Green Hope High School with either: o Davis Drive Elementary and Davis Drive Middle School as our traditional calendar options. § Closest to our neighborhood § Students walk to these schools § Will not have to cross the railroad tracks once the greenway is completed § There are families from MacArthur Park currently assigned to Davis Drive Elementary § Davis Drive Middle School has been our base traditional calendar option since the school opened. § Many of our families are vested in Davis Drive Middle due to older children who attended there. These schools have been our feeder pattern in previous years. § Many parents volunteer in classrooms at these schools because of the close proximity to our neighborhood.

o Laurel Park Elementary and Salem Middle as our year-round calendar options. § Closest to our neighborhood § Laurel Park students have been going to Salem Middle School, as that is the current feeder pattern and Salem Middle School has been our base year-round calendar option. § Many of our families are vested in Salem Middle due to older children who attended there. This school has been our feeder pattern in previous years. § Many parents volunteer in classrooms at these schools because of the close proximity to our neighborhood.

Looking at the numbers, some might say that the neighborhood wants year round. However, many of our neighbors have been forced to the year round calendar. When our neighborhood was first assigned to Laurel Park, transportation was not available to families grandfathering to Davis Drive schools and transfers were rarely granted. In the 2015-16 assignment plan, the Davis Drive schools were our calendar option. However, calendar option has changed since then converting Davis Drive to one of many choices. Many families without siblings at Davis Drive have mentioned that they have either been denied admittance or had to be persistent with the assignment office to gain admittance.

MacArthur Park is continuously in the assignment plan, averaging impact or target about every two years. For a county this size, it would seem that other communities could share in the process, especially considering that MacArthur Park has been an established community for 20 years with no new development. For it to be continually part of the assignment plan is frustrating. New developments have no expectation of stability when they are opening. These developments should be used when filling new schools. Since the move of MacArthur Park is driven by the opening of Green Level High School, I urge you to consider filling the seats at Apex High School with the new developments around the Laurel Park and Salem Schools.

Thank you for your consideration in keeping MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School.

32 Votes

Bootstrap_10156433711220169
Kaiya Ramsey 3 months ago

I ask the board and student assignment to consider the return assignment of Macarthur Park to Davis Elementary, Davis Middle and Green Hope High school

I spoke to this board once before about the White Oak Creek greenway project that the town of cary planned to build. This section of greenway will connect Macarthur Park to the Davis Elementary/ Davis Middle land. At that time the school board said it would consider changing Macarthur Park back to these schools when the greenway was ready to be built. The greenway is now ready to be built. It is fully funded at $7 million dollars, an agreement has been made with CSX, the rail road crossing, and construction will begin this spring, or -”as soon as the ground thaws” per the town of cary.

This greenway extention will be the connection to bring Macarthur Park to immediate proximity- just feet away to the DDE/ DDM dual campus.

The town has further more invested $7 million dollars for just this purpose.

Town of Cary states -“This is an important crossing not only for regular greenway users but will provide access (for the neighborhood) to Davis Drive elementary and middle schools.”

There is already a full time crossing guard in place for both morning and afternoon crossings of Davis Drive.

Due to this change and the tremendous investment in infrastructure the town has made to enable our children to attend these schools I ask that Macarthur park be returned to the base school plan of Davis Drive Elementary, Davis Middle and Green hope high school.

34 Votes

Default_avatar
Lisa McNeill 3 months ago

I am against the move to Apex High School but if it isn't possible to keep the feed to Green Hope HS, would it be possible to have the traditional path feed to Green Hope and the year round track feed to Apex?

17 Votes
Default_avatar
Larissa Benavente 2 months ago

Lisa, I have to disagree with your proposal. My oldest child was assigned to Salem MS while I had a younger one in a traditional calendar and WCPSS did not even give us a traditional calendar choice. We were simply thrown at the challenge of dealing with two different calendars. There is no logic in sending children that live in the same neighborhood to different schools. MacArthus MUST stay together and be kept with Green Hope HS.

5 Votes
Default_avatar
Lisa McNeill 2 months ago

Thanks Larissa. I see your point.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Jayant Yete 3 months ago

Dear OSA-WCPSS,

We have been living in Amesbury for more than 10 years and Green Hope High School (GHHS) is our community school.

As many posted here, we’re also strongly against reassigning Amesbury students from Green Hope High School.

Our daughter just started at the GHHS. During the orientation, we were told that the 9th grade freshman enrollment of ~582 is the lowest GHHS has seen in more than 5 years. With lower/falling enrollment, it makes more sense to keep the current base as it is. Instead, not sure why, our community is getting reassigned to another high school.

We have 10+ students from Amesbury community currently using GHHS neighborhood busing. We would like to appeal WCPSS to scrap GHHS reassignment plan and keep our community in GHHS base with neighborhood busing.

Thank you.

23 Votes

Default_avatar
K L 3 months ago

I am opposed to moving the MacArthur Park neighborhood from Green Hope High School to Apex High School.

• MacArthur Park has unceasingly been a part of WCPSS’s re-assignment plans, first beginning 10 years ago, and slowly but steadily stripping us of our neighborhood elementary (DDE), middle (DDM), and now high (GH) schools. We are a no growth neighborhood, are within a mile and a half of both the elementary and middle schools, three miles from the high school, and yet we continue to feel the brunt of the new construction that surrounds us in other communities.

• While it may seem logical now to the Board to reassign MacArthur Park to Apex High School with the reasoning of “feeder pattern”, the Board respectfully needs to keep in mind that the Town of Cary Greenway connecting MacArthur Park to Davis Drive Road, and therefore DDE and DDM, is planned to begin in the Spring 2019. Once completed, the Greenway will place MacArthur Park (already within WCPSS’s definition of the walk zone) even more walk-friendly accessible to both Davis Drive schools. Because there are many new developments under construction around Laurel Park Elementary and Salem Middle School (our current base assignments) completion of these developments along with the opening of the greenway should be enough cause for moving MacArthur Park’s base schools back to DDE and DDM. With that said, from a future planning perspective, stability for MacArthur Park would be to remain at Green Hope High School so families are not moved once again when the greenway is completed.

• With DDE and DDM as our traditional calendar options, it makes sense to keep us at GH or at the very least, a compromise – a proposed alternative plan - to allow those who are on the traditional feeder pattern to continue on to GH while those in year-round moving on to Apex HS.

For MacArthur Park to once again be part of the assignment plan is frustrating. Please reconsider and keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School.

28 Votes
Default_avatar
Marianne Hedrick Weant 2 months ago

In the new plan, DDES and DDMS are closed to transfers. We will have no traditional option, so by effect, most of the neighborhood, and especially those of us that can't be grandfathered in, would be forced to go to AHS by that alternative plan. For example, my daughter is at DDES--say we stay and manage to get her into DDMS. She moves to high school before our next children enter middle school. I would end up with one child at DDMS and GHHS, and then another 4 children at SMS and AHS. Some at the same time. At one point, by that plan, I would have one child at GHHS and three at AHS. No part of MacArthur Park should be zoned to Apex at all. Our base options should be DDES, DDMS, and GHHS.

In this plan, WCPSS is proposing "Correcting a Neighborhood Split" for Carolina Pines. If that's a priority, correct the elementary and middle school splits of MacArthur Park and don't create a split at the high school level unnecessarily.

22 Votes
Default_avatar

Well said Marianne. We had to deal with the two different calendars and it was not easy.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Mr SA 3 months ago

Every couple years MacArthur Park is targeted by the school board for reassignment. After targeting our elementary and middle school, this year it's our high school.

I have lived in MacArthur Park for 20 years and our neighborhood has been at Green Hope High School since it opened...20 years ago. There are newer neighborhoods than our, and yet to be built neighborhoods, that are assigned to GHHS. Their are neighborhoods further away than ours that are assigned to GHHS. Please stop targeting our neighborhood for reassignment time and time again. Select neighborhoods that are further away or are newer than ours that don't have the history or commitment to the school like we have established, to be assigned to another school.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

27 Votes

Default_avatar
Carol Kwiatkowski 2 months ago

I appreciate all the comments about not moving MacArthur Park students from Cary to Apex. I live nearby, off Bond Lake Drive, and hope the same arguments apply to those of us in this neighborhood. I do not want my kids to have to change schools again. Please reconsider this change that so many people are opposed to.

16 Votes
Default_avatar
Julianne Kirby 2 months ago

Carol, I was going to comment the exact same thing. I also live off Bond Lake Drive which is another neighborhood right across Cary Pkwy and is just as established as MacArthur Park. I want to say to WCPSS officials who are reviewing this feedback that anytime you see MacArthur Park, you can also include neighborhoods off of Bond Lake Drive; we are right across the street from each other, just not as large.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Marianne Hedrick Weant 2 months ago

We live in MacArthur Park in Cary, and I’m concerned about the splitting of my neighborhood between two high schools, Green Hope and Apex. My mom lives behind me in the same neighborhood, and is staying zoned to GHHS while my children would move to AHS. I think it goes without saying that I think all the schools are great schools, but I don’t want a split neighborhood. Green Hope is more diverse, much closer, and a safer drive for young drivers. Green Hope is even bikable and some students do that. As of now, we walk or ride at no cost to the district to DDES, as do many of our neighbors to DDES, DDMS, and GHHS. If we are forced to rezone to AHS, I believe you will see significant increases in transportation costs incurred by the district in bus riders.

Our neighborhood is already split for elementary and middle, with my house being zoned for LPES and Salem Middle, and my mother, who, once again, lives BEHIND ME IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD, is zones to DDES and DDMS. A year round calendar is impossible for our family—we have 4 younger kids on a traditional calendar preschool, so we applied to transfer our daughter as we started kindergarten. We transferred into DDES but both DDES and DDMS are closed to transfers in the new plan. Our only traditional calendar options are closed. Will we be able to put our upcoming kids in our traditional choice, DDES, that we can walk to? Will we be able to transfer from Salem Middle to DDMS when that time comes? Will we successfully get our first through traditional calendar middle school only to see our next not be able to get in since grandfathering wouldn’t apply? Or will be be forced to have some children on a traditional schedule and some on year round, damaging our family life and harming my working and earning potential?

We bought where there was limited construction in walking distance to our preferred schools. And it feels like my kids and our family will pay the price for other community members who are demanding newer, bigger houses in Western Wake. Our whole neighborhood should be on the DDES (walkable)—>DDMS (walkable)—>GHHS (bikable) feeder pattern with LPES and SMS as year round options. No student from our neighborhood should go to Apex High

Side note... Part of this assignment plan is "Correcting a Neighborhood Split"--you're correcting a split of Carolina Pines because apparently it's bad for neighborhoods to be split. So I assume you'll correct the fact that MacArthur Park has been split at elementary and middle school levels, and now are proposing a further split. I look forward to seeing this all corrected in the next draft.

26 Votes

Default_avatar
Paul Rozvadovsky 2 months ago

Thank Lord we're done dealing with The Wake County School Board's tantrums (our daughter graduated from GHHS last year). However, as resident of MacArthur/Giverny we OPPOSE any further reassignment. Like many others, we've selected our residence based on many factors, with schools topping the list. Our daughter went to DDMS, and then to GHHS. We live in Cary, paying taxes here, and DEMAND to have a right to send our kids to the neighborhood schools walking, biking to, or take a short bus ride, and not to "Greyhound" them onto the out-of-town commute. Just think of added traffic around the newly-assigned schools, cut sleep times for students due to shifted bus hours, and other major nuances (got sick or bus broke down, so cannot walk home: what, take Uber ot call taxi?). The Wake County School Board has outgrown itself, turning the District into one massive bureaucratic machine, and must be decentralized and broken into smaller, more local, community-oriented organizations. Current leadership of the Board clearly does not represent our interests.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Sam Gar 2 months ago

Keep MacArthur Part at Green Hope High School! This is destroying lives or students and parents of this community!

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Rubin 2 months ago

I agree with all the posts above. The McArthur Park subdivision always seems to be the one on the "cutting block" when it comes to re-assignments. It's time for others to share in the pain in this part of the county and allow us to have stable school system. First it was Davis Drive Elementary (which we can almost "see" from our neighborhoods, and now it's Green Hope High school. It makes no sense to make this move with our children having to go as far as Apex High is from our neighborhood.

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Jones 2 months ago

Please keep MacArthur Park at GHHS! The families in this large and well-established neighborhood have supported this school for many, many years and the parent involvement is one of the reasons for the school's success.

This area of Cary is very community-minded and our local businesses, restaurants and grocery stores generously support GHHS. We were recently having dinner at a restaurant around the corner that had a banner outside that read "Home of the Falcons" - dividing our community by sending students to Apex HS does not make sense. Grandfathering is not a long term solution and creates instability for the future.

I will not reiterate all the reasons that my neighbors have shared but I do want to strongly urge the school board to reconsider this decision.

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Wolfgang Bultmann 2 months ago

I agree with all the other people on here. Please keep MacArthur Park at GHHS. Like others have said, it can put a lot of stress on families when schools assignments are always changed. And sometimes people plan ahead for a long time. I know that a lot of people that move here from other areas choose a neighborhood like MacArthur Park specifically for the schools. How would you feel if you just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house and then the school assignment changes!?

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Shefali Nadkarni 2 months ago

My family and I are against the change. Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School.

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Banupriya Rajesh 2 months ago

We agree with others above. Keep MacArthur Park at GHHS. This kind of change is causing unnecessary stress for kids and their families. Davis Drive ES and Davis Drive MS are at a walking distance and are close by. Other schools aren't this close to us. So please reconsider your assignment proposal and make it easier for children and their families. It will also be hard for kids who have younger siblings. If they go to different schools lots of people will find it hard and unfair to the kids also. They will have this extra difficulties. A lot of people are against this proposal. Part of the reason why these are very good schools is because of the kids that go to them and because of the families that support them. Also many teachers that teach there live around here so if their kids can't go to these schools they might want to try a different school and the teachers are more than half the reason these schools are so good. It will benefit kids, their families, teachers, others who work at the school , and the school itself if you keep this school in this area.

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Banupriya Rajesh 2 months ago

KEEP MACARTHUR PARK AT GHHS, DDES, AND DDMS!

18 Votes

Bootstrap_1
Quan Gu 2 months ago

Against Proposal. Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School!

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Silvia Penaloza 2 months ago

Why WCPSS is moving MacArthur Park from Green Hope HS to Apex HS? Do you know the impact your proposal can have to all the kids in our neighborhood who are currently attending 8th grade and they have been going to DDMS since 6th grade convinced that their assigned High School was going to be Green Hope? Is “really necessary” change the Base Attendance Zone for GHHS? After reviewing and comparing actual vs. proposed attendance zone for Green Hope HS, I realized that there is a minimal change in your drawings and I am wondering myself if adding a new neighborhood in the north area (currently assigned to Panther Creek HS) and removing MacArthur Park in the south area (currently assigned to Green Hope HS) can cause a significant impact in favor to WCPSS with the purpose to reduce overcrowding for PCHS and GHHS considering that you are opening a new high school called Green level, that comes to our district to support that overcrowding for both schools. I don’t believe it. I really believe that your proposal can cause a significant shock that include many difficulties in the daily plans of all families, emotional issues for all of us and specially for the kids who can feel very frustrated for not understanding why they are being taken apart of the great community school that we are in (DDES, DDMS, GHHS) where they are completely involved and integrated, and where they have been growing up with their friends for many years. I hope WCPSS can do a great effort to change Draft 1 and include MacArthur Park back into the base attendance zone for Green Hope HS, as well as Davis Drive MS and Davis Drive ES.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Ben Bocchicchio 2 months ago

Please keep MacArthur Park at Davis Drive and Green Hope H.S. We specifically purchased our home in MacArthur Park to go to these schools. Our children are 7 years apart in age so we wanted them both on the traditional calendar year so their breaks were the same.
We know if /when we go to sell our home, the David Drive / Green Hope are some of the best schools in the area. We spent a lot if time and effort supporting these schools. Our kids are happy where they are. Please do NOT make these changes!!

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Javier Castro 2 months ago

I’m writing to you to express my big concern in regards to the recent decision to move MacArthur Park from Green Hope HS to Apex HS. We moved from LA back in 2016 and decided to leave in Cary because of the excellent school zone and high level education available in this area, which includes DDES, DDMS and GHHS. Our son is currently being educated at Davis Drive (8th grade) and was extremely motivated and excited to move to Green Hope HS next year, which is evidently a great opportunity to succeed in his next step to study a career in the University in the near future. We participated in the informative session that you provided about the new assignment plan and have also analyzed with care all the explanations and new distribution by zone presented during the informative session. To be honest I strongly think this is something that is impacting negatively rather than positively the majority of people. Certain areas impacted that are significantly close to the Green Hope High School are being eliminated and relocated to the other location causing an important disruption to these families including us, in addition to affecting existing relationships within the kids and most importantly, removing a High School that has historically been assigned and belonged to this particular area of Cary (MacArthur Park). This is impacting numerous families that have decided to move forward with the most significant investment in life, which is to buy a house and have taken the decision to do it here, in MacArthur Park, in this particular area to secure the education of our kids and their preparation for the future. I’m not just talking in our own name and interest but also on behalf of all the families and kids that from one day to another have seen that an unfair decision has snatched their motivation, their excitement and probably their opportunity to be well prepared for the future. A decision that certainly doesn’t make any sense when you analyzed this particular fact with care, responsibility and attention. I respectfully ask to reconsider this decision on behalf of all the families, kids and people affected with the hope to see the results that we are all expecting which is nothing but the restructuring of the school zone back to normal, back to where it has always been and back to what is fair for the community and hundreds of families negatively affected. This is extremely important and we are just asking to think about it one more time and we are sure that whatever you finally decide will be the best for the community, for the families and for the kids leaving in this area. Your role is important and relevant in the society and I’m sure you will take into account this note and every single note you receive regarding to this. I completely understand that your final decision is or will be the result of an extensive analysis and debate with experts and I’m convinced that it will be the best decision and approach you can take and offer after analyzing and assuming all the different factors and best interests for the whole community. Thanks much in advance for taking this request into consideration for your final verdict. We appreciate your support, sensitivity and collaboration.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Sue Gambill 2 months ago

Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School.

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Elizabeth MacPherson 2 months ago

We moved into MacArthur Park 2 1/2 years ago and hoped to attend a neighborhood school with a traditional calendar. I DO NOT want our neighborhood reassigned to Apex High School. WE are CARY residents. This neighborhood has been zoned Green Hope for many years and families have purchased homes here to be in that school. Furthermore, we should be allowed access to Davis Drive schools! My future middle schoolers could walk there. We have left WCPSS to attend a Charter school because we could not get into the CLOSEST School to our home. I feel let down by Wake County. I truly hope the WCPSS reads all these comments and helps our neighborhood regain access to the schools that are in our own town and our own neighborhood. MacArthur Park is wonderful established neighborhood. We will lose some great families if the county continues to take away our access to the closest and best schools in our neighborhood. Thank you.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Shashi Lodhia 2 months ago

Why change MacArthur's base school - GHHS to Apex High? Is GHHS overcrowded? Even if it is, MacArthur is one of the closest communities to GHHS so please keep GHHS as our base school!

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Cindy Boling 2 months ago

We bought our house in 2001 specifically because it was in the Davis-Davis-Green Hope feeder pattern. We had 2 years at Davis Elementary before being reassigned to the new Laurel Park Elementary, an assignment we did not want. We were unhappy with this school in part due to some "opening" issues. We tried to make the best of it with me continuing to volunteer as I had at the previous school. This was not a good move for us. After a couple of years, we left the public school system with the intention of returning to attend Green Hope HS once our children were of age. Our oldest is at GHHS now. We just removed our youngest from an excellent private school so she could attend Green Hope as a freshman this year. This is where we wanted our children to get their education. Our youngest now faces being moved after taking a year to get grounded in new friends, extra-curriculars, staff, and building. We were moved by WCPSS from a school we loved during elementary years to open a new school; we do not want to repeat this for high school. Please allow Green Hope to remain as the MacArthur Park neighborhood's high school. Moving families, especially those already in a school they are invested in, undermines community and support for everyone.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Anisha White 2 months ago

We purchased a home in MacArthur Park specifically for Green Hope High School, and ideally would have Davis Drive Elementary / Middle (though understand we unfortunately are at Laurel Park). We are VERY opposed to the move from Green Hope High to Apex High School. We are extremely disappointed with this proposal. We will consider moving to another area for a better high school if we need to, given this change.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Julie Gaitens 2 months ago

Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Eric Herget 2 months ago

I purchased my home in MacArthur Park in the Autumn last year SPECIFICALLY because this neighborhood went to Green Hope High School, had for a long time, was much closer to GHHS than any other high school, and the upcoming opening of Green Level should alleviate any overcrowding issues that might apply pressure to reassign this neighborhood - ergo it should have been illogical and irrational to get reassigned. I did all this to ensure my children could bus to my house in addition to their mother's house in a different neighborhood.

I also strongly agree with the previous responses that express displeasure about breaking up this community and reassigning families and children who have known and supported Green Hope High School, in my family's case, for the children's entire lives. More puzzling is reassigning this Cary neighborhood to a school supporting a different town altogether!

It makes no sense at all to reassign MacArthur Park away from GHHS. Its the closest high school to this community by nearly a factor of 2. Reassigning MacArthur park will increase transportation costs and the amount of time spent commuting.

I'm baffled by the idiocy of this proposal and enraged by its potential impact on this community, the WCPSS transportation budget, my finances, and most importantly, my ability to spend time with my children.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Yakshesh Bhimjiani 2 months ago

I am against reassigning of MacArthur Park students from Green Hope High School to Apex High. I moved to MacArthur park in Summer of 2017 specifically because the assigned High School was Green Hope High School. I could have decided to buy a home in Apex and save some $$ if I would have wanted to have my child go to Apex High. I have nothing against Apex High, but people like me who move to the triangle area from out of state select a neighborhood after a lot of research and for me the High School that my child will go to was the #1 thing. It makes no sense to reassign students from an established neighborhood to a new school.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Andrew Navarro 2 months ago

My wife and I are against reassigning MacArthur park students from Green hope High to Apex high. I agree with many of the other comments posted above who are against the reassignment. I of course understand managing a large network of schools and students is challenging. However, in this case there are other options to accommodate and manage the area's growth without tearing apart our community. We moved to our MacArthur Park home specifically because it was in the Green Hope High school area. People in this area have helped Green Hope thrive and should now not be asked to "pack up" and move on to another school. Please strongly consider NOT reassigning MacArthur Park students to Apex High. Thank you for all your hard work and managing our schools but please, please, pretty please.... do not make this change.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Andrew Navarro 2 months ago

Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School!

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Vivian Rivera 2 months ago

Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School!

13 Votes

Default_avatar
C D 2 months ago

We moved to MacArthur Park 7 years ago with the understanding that this area was and always has been assigned to Green Hope High School. This is why we chose to move to this particular development. Initially we were hoping to have our children go to Davis Drive Middle School, but when we were told we could not transfer from Laurel Park to DDMS because of a cap, that was a major disappointment for us personally. My oldest is a freshman at GHHS and to switch high schools while in high school is not only disruptive for our entire family, but the added stress certainly does not help in ensuring that our kids are successful in school. Please reconsider, and please keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope. MacArthur Park cannot always be the area that has to change.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Chris Spreher 2 months ago

We had limited home selections for the Green Hope area and moved to MacArthur Park in December so our kids could go to Green Hope. We have four children and this change would cause us to have to make a difficult decision of two being at Green Hope and the other two going to Apex as we can not transport our kids to school. Our boys walked to DDMS everyday from our neighborhood and it makes no sense to change them to schools further away. We prefer to have all our kids under the same school cluster in order to participate in events and stay connected with those who live near us who would continue to go to Green Hope.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Josie Spreher 2 months ago

I invite you to come to MacArthur on a school day and watch how many students and parents walk their children to school. Growing up I went to the same school cluster from elementary through high school. Never were students shifted from school to school. There was consistency for families and everyone felt a sense of community knowing each other. I wanted that for my children and love living in Cary and the DDES/DDMS/Green Hope cluster. These are the children my kids have grown up with and now they will be separated from friends. My entire family will be split as my two boys will be grandfathered in to Green Hope, but we will have to drive them for the next few years, and my two girls will have to go to Apex. It does not even make since as everything my children do is in our town of Cary and my kids were walking to the middle school last year. I know Apex is a good school so that does not worry me. It is the fact that I specifically bought my home a few months ago for this particular cluster of schools. There is no trust when you continue to shift students every few years to different schools.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
John Bang 2 months ago

I am AGAINST WCPSS's new proposal of assigning students in MacArther Park subdivision from GHHS to Apex High School for the following reasons. First, school reassignment is not just a matter that affects only our kids. Parents also have to make adjustments in their work schedules and other schedules related to pick-up/drop-off, after-school, community, and other significant daily activities. Asking parents to send their kids to another school that will add at least 30 minutes to one hour to their commute every day leaves an impression that families (especially children who have grown up together with a sense of belonging as community members) are ignored by their school system. Secondly, I do not see the logic behind WCPSS asking residents living in an established neighborhood to move their children out from their neighborhood schools to another school in a different community mainly because of the development of new subdivisions. If overcrowding of schools due to the development of new subdivisions is the issue, the most logical step is to send the kids of the families living in the newly built communities to newly opening schools.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Jody Barish 2 months ago

As a parent of four children within six years, and a resident of MacArthur Park for 18 years, I am requesting stability and proximity. When we first moved here, MacArthur Park was one of the neighborhoods that helped open and support DDE, DDMS, and GHHS. Our neighborhood school assignments have been changed and/or proposed to change for the last 10 years, negatively impacting our neighborhood's sense of community.

With the greenway to DDE and DDMS scheduled to be completed this Spring and the extensive growth that is happening in the Apex area, please reconsider and allow MacArthur Park's base to be DDE, DDMS, and GHHS. Our year-round options should stay as Laurel Park and Salem, so as not to disrupt neighbors that prefer year round.

Please keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School. Thank you for you consideration.

16 Votes

Default_avatar
Rodolfo Schwarz 2 months ago

Please Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School, is not fair that for the senior year my son will be changed to a new school

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Sheryl Sokol 2 months ago

This is horrible hearing about the proposed change from Green Hope to Apex. I no longer have children in the WCPSS system but do care still for others that do. My children attended DDE, DDMS then Green Hope. It was so wonderful watching these students grow from tiny kindergartners to young men and women when they graduated Green Hope. I was involved as a volunteer along the way and the memories are wonderful. The sense of community was there from start to finish. Please consider the students and families lives you will impact in a negative way.

14 Votes

Default_avatar

Our family also does not agree with this change. I don't understand why my children need to go to another town to attend HS. This is aggravating.

Furthermore, the redistricting lines make no sense. WCPSS pulled part of MacArthur/Canterbury out of Green Hope to Apes HS but then added another attendance area in the north part of Green Hope HS zone map. This is NOT FAIR. MacArthur is an established neighborhood and all our families here should not have to be moving. We already lost Davis Drive schools, about 1 mile away, to Laurel Park ES and Salem MS. So while our children were dreaming of walking and biking to Davis MS, the board decided to mess with our lives. My oldest child was assigned to Salem MS and we were not even given the option to attend a traditional calendar alternative (Davis MS) while I still had my youngest one at a traditional calendar elementary school. It is UNACCEPTABLE that we are being once again moved around for no particular good reason as I explained above. Specially considering that other neighborhoods were added in the north area of Green Hope HS, while we were taken out! Not acceptable!

PLEASE keep MacArthur/Canterbury subdivision in Green Hope HS.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Igor Bershadskiy 2 months ago

Keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School! It's a common sense decision. Why would you go to a school in Apex if you live in Cary?

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Gary Strickland 2 months ago

Keep Cary students at a Cary school. I completely disagree with moving Cary students to an Apex school.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Brittany Barbieri 2 months ago

My husband and I just moved to MacArthur Park last year and the largest factor in our homebuying decision was location and school assignment. We are not in favor of the move to Apex High - keep MacArthur Park at GHHS!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Consuelo Kern 2 months ago

We became Cary resident in 2012, when we bought our house in MacArthur neighborhood. We picked MacArthur because the great schools; DDES, DDMS and GHHS. We were told that we could choose the school for our kids but the reality was that Davis Drive School were "cap". We sent our kids to Laurel Park ES because it was the only choice we had in trying to keep our kids in a "neighborhood school" and to avoid having our kids going to school far away and be sitting in a bus ride for 45 min to an hour.Two years later, my oldest had the opportunity to attend DDMS. Great school! Then we had two kids in two different school calendars, my son in DDMS traditional and my daughter in LPES year round. We did it for one year and it wasn't easy. In 2014 we transferred our daughter to DDES. Finally we had our two kids in Davis Drive schools. We thought all our worries about the school for our kids were over, wrong again! My daughter graduated from DDES last year and this year she is attending Salem MS, which is year round. We did everything was possible to have her attending DDMS but nothing worked. My oldest is currently attending GHHS, he is a sophomore. Again, we have two kids in two different school calendars. All of these years of changing schools and calendars were challenging without a doubt but we were always looking forward in having our kids attending GHHS but with the new School Assignment Proposal not even that will be possible, which is extremely disappointing. Having my son changing school in his Junior year in High School would be very traumatic. This is a very stressful time for any kid and crucial for his plan in the future and adding instability will make everything worse. MacArthur Park is a great community, which help and support our great schools; DDES, DDMS and Laurel Park ES / Salem MS as our calendar options but thinking about removing Green Hope High School as our base High School it is very unfair! As Cary residents, we want our kids to stay in Green Hope High School! Sending our kids to Apex High is just unacceptable! Please reconsider this new assignment plan and let us keep Green Hope High School!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Marta Stacy 2 months ago

I have been a MacArthur Park resident for the past 22 years; my daughter just graduated from GHHS, and my son is an 8th grader at DDMS. Our neighborhood was originally assigned to the newly constructed DDE/DDMS/GHHS schools years ago, and therefore we have a very strong, and long-standing connection to these schools. Our parent community has volunteered countless hours to make these schools successful, and our children have formed strong friendships with their classmates and relationships with teachers and staff at the schools. For the past 10 years, our neighborhood has been targeted continuously for reassignments – first from DDE to Laurel Park, then DDMS to Salem and now, GHHS to Apex. My family was negatively affected by some of these reassignments, and would be affected again if the current proposal is approved. The most important impact of the reassignments is on our kids. It is a well-known fact that the majority of DDMS students continue on to GHHS, which means the kids get to high school with a well-established social circle, and a lot of familiar faces. This is a big deal for kids in their teenage years and can greatly affect their self esteem, as well their success as they start out in high school. I have seen the importance of this aspect during my daughter’s years in high school. Moving our kids to a different school will mean that they will not have their social circle, which will make their freshman year a much more difficult transition period. Please let our kids stay with their established school community. I would strongly urge you to keep MacArthur Park as a whole at GHHS, but at a minimum, please allow the students on the traditional calendar track to stay at GHHS. Thank you!

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Mihai Ibanescu 2 months ago

With one child just graduated from Green Hope, our family has invested a lot of time in developing relationships with the school and its teachers, by volunteering in any way we thought our children would benefit. We did it because we knew it's our school and will be our school for the second child as well. Our son just started at Green Hope, and having the continuity of all his friends from Davis Drive Middle is a tremendous help in adapting to high school challenges. The reassignment to Apex would be very disruptive for him and all his neighborhood friends. Spending more time on the bus would only aggravate the matter. Please reconsider the reassignment proposal, and keep MacArthur Park students at Green Hope High School.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Christine Lindsay 2 months ago

I strongly am against the 2019-2020 school reassignment for the MacArthur Park and Giverny subdivisions for Green Hope High School to Apex High School proposal for Grandfathered students will not be provided transportation. Providing transportation for my son would be a hardship on my family for the next 2 years during his Junior and Senior years as well as for our neighbors. Bussing is a safer form of transportation then the 2 alternatives: parents or student driving My family is a long-time homeowner in the Giverny subdivision established in the 1990’s. Wake County Public School System has targeted our neighborhood to get out of Davis Drive Elementary and Middle Schools to Green Hope High School matriculation path for over a decade. The Davis Drive schools are walking distance and a greenway is being built Spring 2019. When Laurel Park was built my family moved our children to the new year round school because you removed Davis Drive Elementary and the alternative tradition choice was far away from our neighborhood. We accepted the year-round school for our children for years (Daniel 2-8 and Mark K-5). Some neighbors were able to get back into Davis Drive by appealing and providing their own transportation. When our eldest went to high school we moved both of our children to traditional school. Our children experienced difficulty adjusting to all new people. They became withdrawn, and moody. Based on the experience we had during that transitional year we will not change school for our youngest son during his Junior and Senior years. My neighbors have similar experiences and feel the same. We do not want to separate our children from their long term established friendships and relationships with staff at GHHS. These students have worked very hard to get leadership positions in clubs and positions on sports teams. They are successful students and want to stay on the same path through graduation.
The school system should strive to have success stories like my children. You will not get the desired response of having MacArthur Park and Giverny students switching from Green Hope to Apex because you deny bussing. You will get additional problems. Grandfathering students without bussing will save the district money but you are putting our children’s lives in jeopardy. The safety of our children should be your highest priority. The 2 alternative forms of busing and new problems are as follows: 1) Parents driving their children to and from school daily: In order to have the students be on time for school we need to start driving no later than 6:45 the 3.9 miles from our house. At that time, we expect to be in dead locked traffic pattern for 30 minutes on Carpenter Upchurch Road. The road is 2 lanes: 1 in each direction. The carpool infrastructure has been revised extending the carpool line on the property with a rotary (inexperienced drivers drive too fast around the rotary) which is unsuccessful to handle the existing carpool load. Students get out of vehicles in carpool to avoid being tarty because the carpool line is in a dead lock traffic pattern. They then walk to the building crossing moving vehicles. Parents either let their children out before the rotary so they can drive away, or they continue driving without passengers around the snaking carpool line. By grandfathering a few subdivisions with numerous students adds to the already overburdened carpooling lines. Each household would spend about 1 hour a day on transportation for their children. Employers in the area would also experience hardship because their employees need time off to transport their children.

2) Students drive themselves to school: The school parking lot has a lottery for parking spaces. There is not enough parking for those requesting it. Driving should be determined by the families, based on their child’s maturity, not necessity. In my household we felt that our son needed more than the minimum 60 hours of supervised driving. We were not pushing him to drive because we needed him to be independent. We wanted him to focus on his academics and he accomplish so much! We did not experience any issues with drug use, teenage sex, or other problems that lead to low grades because he had so much unsupervised time and independence. The DMV is so back logged it takes months to get an appointment to take the driver’s test or you can spend the entire day waiting. This is another system that is overburdened because of the expansion in this area. If we suddenly have to get our children independent so they can drive themselves, we have so many other issues. 1) inexperienced drivers on the road 2) vehicle accidents involving minors 3) minors carpooling each other with loud music and driving too fast to be “cool” creating social issues 4) having our children grow up to fast getting involved in adult or inappropriate situations 5) lack of student parking for all that want it 6) the financial burden of paying for insurance for students who could have been delayed the privilege of driving, gas expense, and vehicle repairs 7) accidents causing injury or fatalities. Please reconsider having Grandfathered students provide their own transportation. Thank you!

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Russ Ramsey 2 months ago

Please keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School. Our neighborhood has been changed on nearly every student assignment plan in the last 15 years. Please give our children the stability that you can by keeping them at Green Hope.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
K B 2 months ago

As a Cary resident for 19 years, a homeowner in MacArthur Park/Canterbury for 15 years, and a DDE and DDMS parent of two children for 8 years, I ask that you do the right thing for your Cary residents, long-standing MacArthur Park residents and DDE/DDMS/GHHS students by keeping proximity and consistency for MacArthur Park. In 2003, we made the decision to purchase our home in MacArthur Park based on the proximity and assignment to the Davis Drive & GHHS schools. This was before having children. We’ve seen the neighborhood go under the reassignment chopping block too many times in the past 15 years, which is shocking because of the proximity to the schools. We can walk to the Davis Drive campuses in 10 minutes or less. We have sidewalks and a full time crossing guard in place. Our neighborhood has been approved for a 7 million dollar greenway expansion and tunnel under the CXS railroad tracks for the purpose of connecting our community and allowing students easier access to the Davis Drive schools. Ground will break in the spring of 2019 for this expansion. For the past 25 years, since MacArthur Park was built, our community at large has supported the Town of Cary and we have invested our time, treasure, fellowship and heart into the Cary schools through so many ways and means. This includes Green Hope High School. My front door to Green Hope High school is 2.3 miles. It is the closest high school to our neighborhood and we, as a MacArthur Park community, have helped build its legacy, tradition and reputation. Stripping ANY PART of MacArthur Park from the DDE/DDMS and/or Green Hope High School community does not make sense. Why would you want to add additional transportation costs to send these students to Apex? Why would Cary residents who have invested so much into Cary schools want their children bussed farther away from home? If a major part of the WCPSS Strategic Plan is to provide social and emotional wellness to students, how is this supporting the strategic plan? My children will be stripped from their friends that they have been with since kindergarten—some of which live two streets up the road towards Davis Drive and are NOT being reassigned to Apex High. I ask that you do the right thing for all residents and children of MacArthur Park and keep the DDE/DDMS/GHHS cohort intact. There were “promises” made years ago by WCPSS and it’s board members that are about to be broken. As a MacArthur Park community who have for 25 years supported these schools in so many ways, I ask you to please make the right choice based on proximity and stability for our children. Keep the social and emotional goals of the WCPSS Strategic Plan at the forefront of your decision making process. Do not move children further from their long-time friends, trusted teachers, and community. Allow our MacArthur Park children and families consistency and proximity. Thank you in advance for making the right decision for MacArthur Park’s children and families.

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Cary Citizen 2 months ago

I oppose having my children reassigned to Apex schools from Green Hope. I have 2 children that will be affected with this proposed change. This would cause my children great stress to change high schools after making friends and creating a support system. Our children are already stressed and do not need the added stress of starting over and rebuilding their support system. This can be very detrimental to their mental health.

We live in Cary. We pay Cary taxes. We support our Cary community in many ways. We do not live in Apex. We do not pay Apex taxes. We have no support from Apex. This plan is inefficient and dangerous. This will be more taxing on all invested resources from the Wake County budget. If children are allowed to go to their community schools, less bus services will be needed and more students can walk or ride bikes. This is economically efficient, saving our natural resources (even more than not using plastic straws).

Our area is already naturally diverse. This proposal does not make ethical sense and needs to be rerouted to the surrounding community. Allowing MacArthur Park residents assignment to our community schools will provide the best outcome for all students and families.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Kay Allen 2 months ago

Please keep MacArthur Park at Green Hope High School.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Jay Barish 2 months ago

MacArthur Park students' and families' best interests are to maintain the relationships already in place with Green Hope High School. This neighborhood has been subject to change during almost every student reassignment plan in the last 15 years. Please give us and our children the stability we've earned by keeping them at Green Hope.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Tina Gremore 2 months ago

I am opposed to moving the MacArthur Park neighborhood from Green Hope High School to Apex High School. Our children currently attend Davis Drive Elementary, and would lose their community if they were transferred to Apex schools. Apex is a wonderful community, however, we moved to Cary, and specifically chose this neighborhood because of its assignment to Green Hope. Please keep our neighbor assignment to Green Hope. Another option could be to let those who are currently enrolled in Apex Schools (such as Laurel Park) choose to go to Apex, and those who are on the Davis Drive track choose to go to Green Hope.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Jeff Halada 2 months ago

We moved to the MacArthur Park Neighborhood with the hope that our two kids could to attend Davis Drive Elementary and Davis Drive Middle School since they are walking distance from our house. This part has worked out very well for us, we now have a 1st and 2nd grader at DDE. They have made wonderful friendships with the kids and teachers from the school. We enjoy the community very much and it would be a real hardship for our kids to have this community split up if they were to attend Apex High School. Please do not change our currently assigned High School system and leave it as it is Green Hope High.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Russell Frank 2 months ago

My family moved into the MacArthur Park neighborhood so that our children would attend Davis Drive Elementary, Davis Drive Middle School and Green Hope High School. Since that time, children have been reassigned to Laurel Park ES. Please keep families together and within a short distance to their schools. We chose this area because of the schools. It would be a shame to move from Green Hope HS. WE are against the proposed reassignment plan. Please keep our children at Green Hope.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Dan DG 2 months ago

I live in the MacArthur Park Neighborhood and I have trouble finding the logic in changing my district from Green Hope to Apex High School. Newly built sub-divisions and communities should be considered for other high schools other than Green Hope to help alleviate the overflow of students, not communities that have been around for nearly 30 years. The idea of breaking up school districts within these communities seems to be knee-jerk reaction. With the continued influx of families and newly built sub-divisions within the area, this problem will continue to persist, and re-drawing district lines every couple of years will become a maddening process for residents with children attending these schools. I'm firmly against changing the MacArthur Park district to Apex High School instead of Green Hope.

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Paula King 2 months ago

I have been a resident of MacArthur Park for 26 years. I have seen our neighborhood open DDE, DDMS, and GHHS. My two sons were fortunate to attend those 3 schools. Being so close, I was able to volunteer and support the schools.

I would ask the BOE to reassign us back to DDE and DDMS (while keeping LPE and SMS as our year-round choices). Keep us at GHHS. We are not a new growth neighborhood and capacity at the schools (especially GHHS) is not an issue. All we want is stability.

With the upcoming greenway connecting MacArthur Park to DDE and DDMS along with the growth on Laura Duncan Road and Old Apex Road, we are a natural choice to be reassigned back to our neighborhood schools of DDE and DDMS.

Until the completion of the greenway, please, I urge you to consider keeping MacArthur Park assigned to Green Hope High School. Thank you.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Catherine Stone about 1 month ago

Dear Wake County School Board, When families move to this area, great care is taken in choosing a home and a neighborhood. We plug our potential address into your school assignment map and carefully weigh the school assignments before making a decision to relocate or purchase property. When we moved to Cary in 2010 for a work transfer, I evaluated over 40 properties this way before selecting the home we would initially rent and eventually purchase to ensure we were in the right assignment for the schools that were important to our family. I searched the schools on Greatschools.com, researched the available academic and social offers and had our realtor limit our showings to only those in the Davis Elementary/Davis Drive/Green Hope maps because this combination of schools was important for our family. We chose MacArthur Park because we loved CARY (not Apex), it met our needs, was a long established neighborhood and found a home in our budget with the features for our family. We could have purchased from hundreds of neighborhoods in other communities and gotten more for our money, but school assignment was top of the list. This location was also important for our work commutes and for the multitude of other activities that make CARY home to us. We love the Greenways and walk them often. We support Bond Park and community center, the YMCA, Cary Arts Center, Girl Scouts, downtown and the businesses in this community.

In our first year with WCPSS, we were assigned to Laurel Park on a year round track that was opposite of the base school for the neighborhood because the other kids were grandfathers and our neighbor was just reassigned after we moved. My kids were literally the one ones in the neighborhood on a different schedule for an elementary school and school breaks. It made our transition in the first year very difficult, especially with no family nearby. After several appeals to switch to a different track that were denied, when my daughter moved up was assigned Davis Middle as her middle base I was able to get my son moved to the Davis Elementary, but without transportation even though the bus drove through the neighbor and stopped 4 doors away every single day. I was forced to make the drive 2x daily and sit in a carpool lane because of lack of transportation even though there was a neighborhood bus that were not allowed to ride. Since that time both of my kids attended and graduated from Davis Middle where I was active in the PTA and they were very active in schools. My daughter moved to Green Hope and graduated in 2018 and now my son is a sophomore. We love our Green Hope's principal because she was our principal at Davis Middle. My kids are great students and citizens, active in Green Hope Athletics, chorus, theater, community. Green Hope and the kids and families that attend Green Hope are family. We've watched our kids grow, have worked the school dances and the fundraisers and concessions and supported the activities. We know Green Hope families. Our MacArthur neighbors are family. We have each other's backs. We attend sporting events together, we care for each others kids and we provide transportation to and from school activities for each other because that's what neighbors do. We cheer each other on. We are Falcons.

While I know my son will continue to be grandfathered if this neighborhood is switched to Apex, removing transportation presents a hardship. Our sophomores don't drive. They don't have cars. To displace them going into their junior year, where there is no parking for those juniors fortunate to have a car, means breaking up schools and communities and families again. If you go through the carpool lane once, you'll know it's a nightmare and unreasonable to ask us to drive that daily when it's a 6 minute bus ride from our stop. You're breaking up sports teams and band and theater and choir and the hundreds of other clubs and activities. This isn't a rezoning for numbers. It's the ripping apart of community and the years invested to make Green Hope the successful thriving community it is. Our families are Green Hope, not the building. WE are Falcons. We're not Cougars. We're not the families that have been living and building the Cougar community. WE are Falcons. Our graduates are Falcons. Our neighbors are Falcons. We've watched our neighbors who were not fortunate to be baselined in a critical year (new move, 6th, 9th) be shuffled like playing cards. We have families split on different tracks and kids moved like pawns. Please stop treating us like numbers and maps and zones. Leave the established neighborhood out of the mix. Talk to the county about growth. If our school system can't handle more townhouses and construction and traffic and congestion, as a school system please use your influence to say enough. Limit new construction and growth to areas were new schools are planned or underway. It needs to be a joint effort.

Please allow us to remain true to Cary. Please allow us to continue to support the schools we've invested so much time and energy into developing. Please rethink your decision and keep MacArthur Park in Falcon territory. We are the biggest Falcon fans and supporters. You don't want to lose us! And we don't want our property values to decline either.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Larissa Benavente about 1 month ago

It seems that our complaints were not heard. According to slide 18 of draft 2 presentation, no changes were accepted between the two drafts. This is highly discouraging. The reason given by BOE to move GHHS to AHS is crowding. (slides 57 and 58, which were part of draft 1 slides). Could someone from BOE please answer these 2 questions: 1. Which forum could MacArthur parents and other affected neighborhood attend to voice our concerns? There is no specific forum dedicated to this reassignment. 2. It still does not make sense that our neighborhoods were removed from GHHS attendance area while other neighborhoods that previously were assigned to Panther Creek were added to it. So it is hard to justify that reassignment was based on crowding. If that was accurate, why other areas are being added to base attendance of GHHS? I sincerely encourage everyone in this forum that has a honest interest in staying with GHHS to comment again, attend one of the forums (even though there isn't a dedicated one to this topic) and really questions this. It simply does not make sense to me. Please participate! Vote on this post if you agree! Post, make your voices heard!

8 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

7600 Roberts Road, Cary

1 Vote

Default_avatar

This proposed assignment change is related to the opening of Green Level High School. That forum is Monday, Oct. 1, at Apex High School (Green Level campus) - 7600 Roberts Road, Cary, at 6:30 p.m.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Lisa McNeill about 1 month ago

Matt, Please note that the conflict for many of our parents is a WCPSS scheduled event. Davis Drive Middle School is hosting their Back to School Night so all parents in MacArthur Park and the surrounding assignment area impacted who have children at Davis Drive Middle School will have to make a decision as to which meeting to attend. Please include this in any feedback on having the meetings topic related with assigned dates for attendance.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Thank you very much Matt Dees, much appreciated. One more question, could you kindly reply once more giving us the exact address? I suggest all interested parents/families/students participate in this forum on October 1st.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
K B about 1 month ago

Thank you for letting us know the time and location. However, many parents in MacArthur Park might be attending the DDMS Parent Open House between 5pm and 9pm tomorrow night. Does the BOE know that this is a scheduling conflict and they are putting parents between a rock and a hard place? Parents are having to choose supporting their child in their current school vs showing physical presence at the meeting to support NOT moving MacArthur Park out of GHHS and keeping the relationships between years of support with the GHHS community. PLEASE make the BOE knows this, as based of the last BOE meeting, I do not see any evident that THEY actually are reading this forum. Thank you for ensuring that the voices of parents in MacArthur Park are heard by the BOE, Matt. Our children appreciate this, as do we.

6 Votes

Default_avatar

If you are not able to attend tomorrow's meeting due to Davis Drive Open House, you may feel free to attend the public forum on Oct. 8 at the Cary High School auditorium at 6:30 p.m. We do expect a large number of families there speaking about proposed assignment changes to East Cary and West Cary middle schools, as well as calendar application changes, FYI. Please know that online feedback is being reviewed by board members and staff.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Thanks Matt. Where would I find the sign up link for tonight's meeting?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
0 Votes

Default_avatar

Sign up to speak at tonight's public forum. https://goo.gl/forms/PVrQC6qlLFgzZegZ2 You may also sign up at the door.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Thanks Matt

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Mr SA about 1 month ago

Why is the opening Green Level High School impacting our neighborhood of MacArthur Park and our assignment to Green Hope High School? Green Level HS was intended to provide relief for over crowding at Panther Creek and provide room for growth for the new developments west of Hwy 55. If we need to fill Apex High School why can't we be more proactive and move more students from Panther Creek now to Green Level HS, and move those about to be assigned to Green Level HS to Apex HS? A bit of forward planning will save going down this road again. Also, those new growth areas west of 55 that are being developed can also be assigned to Apex High School. If they are going to be going to a new school anyway, why not Apex HS, instead of disrupting existing family?

As confirmed by WCPSS staff, the move isn't about crowding at GHHS, so why are those attending GHHS being impacted...we don't need to be in this shuffle at all.

There is also a large area being assigned from Panther Creek to GHHS...I'm sure they are just as unhappy about leaving Panther Creek as we are about leaving GHHS. Why are you moving Panther Creek students to two different high schools when any moves out of Panther Creek can be to just Green Level HS? This move of students into GHHS and us out of GHHS seems random and completely unjustified!!

MacArthur Park is a NEGATIVE growth area (as categorized by WCPSS themselves) and don't provide the numerical impact to reduce students at GHHS or increase students at Apex HS.

Please leave MacArthur Park out of the assignment plan. There is NO good, equitable reason to impact our neighborhood AGAIN for the hundredth time in the last 10 years.

9 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees, could you please provide WCPSS rationale for removing part of MacArthur Park from GHHS while other families are being added to it? Since other families are being moved to GHHS, it can't be overcrowding.

6 Votes
Default_avatar
Mr SA about 1 month ago

In the board's own draft 2 presentation, it clearly shows that under the current assignments for GHHS, the school's utilization drops to 87% in a couple of years, through non-interfering attrition alone!!! There is NO need to move us under the guise of reducing overcrowding. Especially when at the same time you add a large contingent of students from another area to the school.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees, continuing from my post above - the question I posed has been raised before by myself, Mr SA and maybe other posts here as well but has been unanswered.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Lydia Sbityakov about 1 month ago

Please don't switch us from GHHS to Apex! We live in the Vicksburg neighborhood off Bond Lake Drive near MacArthur Park. It does not make sense to shift this neighborhood to another existing school that is further away (either the GL or Apex buildings). We would have to pass right by GHHS to get to the Green Level buildings next year! I honestly thought that this change was a mistake in the plan. We're in a small, low (or even negative) growth neighborhood and people are generally happy with the current assignment. What are you accomplishing by shifting us around?

3 Votes

Default_avatar
K L about 1 month ago

The proposed move of MacArthur Park from Green Hope to Apex does not fit into any of the stated main drivers for this plan: the opening of four new schools, to reduce overcrowding, or as an application school change.

As we have continuously pointed out, we are a no-growth neighborhood and are looking for stability, “parent feedback” that was not acknowledged in the Draft 2 presentation. • We have been reassigned endlessly for the past 10 years and have had our elementary, middle, base and application schools each changed repeatedly over the years. • Green Hope HS has been our one constant and stable factor during years of unpredictably and uncertainty.

Draft 2 “staff considerations” states that the proposed move of MacArthur Park is because of crowding at Green Hope HS. • However, while MacArthur Park is being moved out of Green Hope HS a large area from Panther Creek HS is being moved INTO Green Hope. Please clarify as this demonstrates that “overcrowding” cannot be the reason. • If the opening of Green Level HS is to provide relief for overcrowding at Panther Creek and room for subsequent growth in that area, what is the justification for it impacting MacArthur Park? • The numbers provided in Draft 2 show that the utilization at Green Hope drops to 87% in 2019 and 82% in 2021, without a net change in student enrollment. • As confirmed by Karen Summers, Principal at GHHS, there currently is and will continue to be a reduction in class size from last year to this. • MacArthur Park, as categorized by WCPSS, is a negative growth area and does not provide the numerical impact to reduce students at GHHS.

In addition, we’d like to clarify discrepancies concerning questions asked and answered during the BoE presentation of Draft 2 regarding the greenway that will connect MacArthur Park to the Davis Drive campus and make accessibility even easier than it is today. We have repeatedly asked that proximity be addressed and our base schools be returned to the DD campus as both schools are within a mile, of our neighborhood and both are currently accessible via sidewalks and a crossing guard. • The White Oak Greenway which will connect MacArthur Park to the DD campus will be .25 miles and not 1 mile as stated during your meeting • The Town of Cary has invested $7million dollars for this portion of the greenway – it extends from MacArthur Drive to Davis Drive and will include a tunnel going under the train tracks and DD to connect it directly to school grounds

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Please all affected parents, families, and interested neighbors: TODAY is our last chance to be heard in person. Please plan to attend today's meeting: Oct. 8 at the Cary High School auditorium at 6:30 p.m Sign up link: https://goo.gl/forms/PVrQC6qlLFgzZegZ2

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Mr SA about 1 month ago

That signup link for for last Monday. I think the signup for tonight will be posted on the WCPSS website on the reassignment proposal screen.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Larissa. Tonight's forum is regarding proposed middle school assignments involving East Cary and West Cary middle schools as well as proposed calendar application changes. Last week's forum was regarding proposed high school assignment changes. We will have student assignment staff available tonight to answer any individual questions you may have, but we are not going to have time for off topic speakers.

Please know that tonight is not the last time available to speak in person. We have a public hearing scheduled for Oct. 30.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Matt Dees, thank you for the clarifications. Could you please answer our question on why are we being reassigned from GHHS to Apex HS when other families are being added to it? This question has been asked here multiple times. It can't be overcrowding as other families are being shifted from Panther Creek HS to GHHS. As other parents have posted in this forum, and I quote "The numbers provided in Draft 2 show that the utilization at Green Hope drops to 87% in 2019 and 82% in 2021, without a net change in student enrollment. As confirmed by Karen Summers, Principal at GHHS, there currently is and will continue to be a reduction in class size from last year to this. MacArthur Park, as categorized by WCPSS, is a negative growth area and does not provide the numerical impact to reduce students at GHHS."

Could you please explain the rationale for moving out our families?

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Hi Larissa. The only thing I can share with you at this time is that this is a good question and an issue we are looking at for Draft 3.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Matt Dees, thank you for acknowledging our concerns. Please please give this full consideration. If students are being moved from Panther Creek to a new school already, why simply not keep all PCHS students together at either school: Panther Creek or Green Level West? It does not make sense to involve a third school, ie, GHHS, in this issue. Again, our neighborhood has been impacted over and over with reassignments even though we are a zero/negative growth area. It is not fair that we have to be impacted AGAIN because of crowding at other schools...

Please we sincerely request that WCPSS take this into consideration. Please keep the MacArthur students BEST interest at the center, key concern to this specific discussion.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Mr SA about 1 month ago

Following up on Larissa's comment above, not only does utilization drop at GHHS but WCPSS's own data shows Apex HS utilization under this plan is at 98%!! So, why are we moving MacArthur Park students to Apex HS? Clearly not to ease over crowding at GHHS and clearly not to help "fill" Apex HS.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

We will gain capacity at Apex High School thanks to the renovation. There will be room for future growth at Apex HS, though it is re-opening at near capacity.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

It is great that schools are being renovated with growth in mind. But please keep this growth to NEW neighborhoods that are under development within Apex. There is no need to mess with neighborhoods that are established, like our MacArthur Park, to be moved to a new school. Please as requested in my post above, give full consideration to keeping MacArthur Park at GHHS. Reassignments should involve new and growing areas, not zero/negative growth areas.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Mr SA about 1 month ago

If it is reopening near capacity, so there is no need to move MacArthur Park to that school. Leave us at Green Hope High School and give us the stability you have denied us for the past 10 years.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Ravisha Weerasinghe about 1 month ago

Dear WCPSS Board members, To show WCPSS staff and the Board, MacArthur Park resident's overwhelming support for keeping our neighborhood at GHHS, our community members created a petition on 10/7/2018. We canvassed door to door and during the last few days we have garnered 555 supporters. As you can see, the residents of MacArthur Park support this proposal and the following is a link to the petition. https://www.change.org/p/wake-county-board-of-education-keep-macarthur-park-assigned-to-green-hope-high-school We’d like to ask again for your consideration in reevaluating this proposed move as it does not fit into any of the stated main drivers for this plan: the opening of four new schools, to reduce overcrowding, or as an application school change. Our reasons for opposing are as follows:

1. Overcrowding - Without including us in the reassignment plan, the utilization numbers from the drafts shows a continued decrease for the following 4 years at GHHS. As categorized by WCPSS, MacArthur Park is a NEGATIVE GROWTH neighborhood and will further help drop the utilization numbers through the years. The projected GHHS utilization for the school based on current trends (based on WCPSS data) shows that overcrowding addresses itself through non-interfering attrition.

The utilization numbers for Apex HS under this plan puts it at 98% at the same time GHHS drops to 85% even with MacArthur Park remaining at GHHS.

1. Stability – Our neighborhood has been assigned to GHHS since it opened; 19 years. We are a no-growth neighborhood and are looking for stability, “parent feedback” that was not acknowledged in the Draft 2 presentation.

We have been reassigned endlessly for the past 10 years and have had our elementary, middle, base and application schools each changed repeatedly over the years. And with DDES and DDMS closed to transfers, our families are forced to more distant schools or a year-round school schedule that is challenging for many families in our diverse neighborhood.

Green Hope HS has been our one constant and stable factor during years of unpredictably and uncertainty.

1. Proximity – Both Davis Drive Middle School (DDMS) and Davis Drive Elementary School (DDES) schools are currently accessible with sidewalks and a crossing guard. The new greenway will connect MacArthur Park to the Davis Drive campus and make accessibility even easier than it is today. The White Oak Greenway which will connect MacArthur Park to the Davis Drive campus will be .25 miles.

The Town of Cary has invested $7 million dollars for this portion of the greenway – it extends from MacArthur Drive to Davis Drive and will include a tunnel going under the train tracks and Davis Drive to connect it directly to school grounds.

1. Correct Neighborhood split - The assignment plan prioritizes re-unifying some neighborhoods. We have continually requested that our neighborhood not be split and given DDES, DDMS, and GHHS, with Laurel Park Elementary (LPES) and Salem Middle School as application options for those that prefer year-round. In 2008-2009, the neighborhood was split at the elementary level. Those streets that opened to Waldo Rood stayed at Davis Drive schools and those that opened to MacArthur were assigned to LPES. Davis Drive schools remained the traditional calendar option. The following “school choice” years saw Salem Middle become the base assignment for the streets that opened to MacArthur. Subsequent assignment plans and capping saw DDMS removed as an option for most students. The current assignment draft is the final schism in our neighborhood.

2. Efficiency - We suggest including maximizing transportation efficiencies, etc. ∙ DDES uses fewer buses than most schools due to proximity to the school saving the district in transportation costs. The crossing guard costs are borne by the municipality. ∙ Green Hope’s classes have continued to get smaller. Last year’s freshman class was under 600, and the principal anticipates this year’s is smaller still. Forcing more students to the year-round options and moving our portion of the neighborhood will significantly increase the cost of transportation to the district because of the cost of additional busing. The state already doesn’t bear the full cost of transportation.

While the WCPSS board may not be able or willing to address reassignment back to DDE and DDMS in the plan this year, aligning DDES and DDMS schools into the neighborhood as our base school options, with year-round application options, will reduce costs in transportation, increase efficiency and correct the neighborhood split thereby maintaining stability for our neighborhood and not affecting overcrowding at the schools. Keeping GHHS as our base school will maintain stability, proximity and operational efficiency and will not affect overcrowding or transportation costs.

We are hopeful that the WCPSS board will take these facts into consideration when deciding on the future of our children and not include the MacArthur Park Community in this reassignment proposal. The health and well-being of our children and their families are more important than anything to our community. We are confident that WCPSS will be able to find an alternative plan to the one currently proposed and keep our children at Green Hope High School. Thank you!

Attachments: Petition.pdf
9 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees, could you kindly provide us with an update with regard to the meeting held on 10/16? I have seen the slides and can see that our concerns were discussed in that meeting. What's next?

I had asked here in this forum about the move of some families from Panther Creek base (current assignment) to Green Hope High (proposed new assignment), while removing some MacArthur families. I did not see this issue highlighted in the slides. What is the answer to my question then?

I also have suggested in this forum to simply keep the move from families from Panther Creek to Green Level High and leave MacArthur Park families assigned to GHHS but did not see that suggestion discussed in the meeting. Can this suggestion please be taken into consideration?

Thank you very much in advance.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Nicole Neary 16 days ago

We are opposed to the switch from GHHS to Apex High. We bought a house in Bond Pointe in 2015 thinking it was in the older, more established part of Cary, and Green Hope would undisputedly be my kids' high school. I currently have two children at GHHS (one on an IEP who doesn't take well to change). Even though I think we could be grandfathered in, I will have to give up work hours in order to transport them to and from school. My kids have always taken the bus, so this will be a major disruption to my work schedule. My kids want to stay at GHHS and I would like to keep my job. Please consider leaving those students in older, established Cary neighborhoods in their current school.

0 Votes