UPDATE SEPT. 18 - Draft 2

• The school board received Draft 2 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal on Tuesday, Sept. 18.

Look up your address to see your proposed assignment in Draft 2 of the proposal. 

Here are the main changes recommended in Draft 2:

• The following neighborhoods would remain based at Cedar Fork Elementary and West Cary Middle instead of being assigned to Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle School:
    • Families in the Parkside Elementary base attendance area would have the option to apply to Pleasant Grove Elementary as a traditional calendar application school, as well as Powell Magnet Elementary. Under this proposal, Pleasant Grove calendar application students would not receive district transportation while Powell students would. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A portion of the Poe Elementary base would be assigned to the new Southeast Raleigh Elementary. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • The Draft 1 proposal for all students in the Southeast Raleigh Elementary base attendance area to be assigned to Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High will be phased in, instead of happening immediately. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK
    • A downtown Raleigh area assigned to Turner Creek Elementary would be assigned to Conn Elementary, Centennial Middle and Southeast Raleigh High beginning 2019-20. Draft 1 had recommended making this change in 2020-21. SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

Other considerations

We have received a good deal of feedback online regarding some of the proposed changes.

We are not recommending any additional changes at this time, but our staff is continuing to review information regarding proposed assignments from Davis Drive Middle to East Cary Middle and from Mills Park Elementary and Middle to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle (Cameron Pond neighborhood.)

Today’s presentation contains staff responses to the proposed changes that have prompted the most feedback. 

What happens next?

Parents can continue to share their feedback on this forum.

We also have scheduled four public meetings where parents will have an opportunity to learn more information and share feedback in person.

Please note that each of these meetings will have a specific topic focus. Please attend the meeting regarding the proposal that applies to you. If you attend a meeting focused on a topic that does not affect you, there will be student assignment staff available to help answer your questions.

• Sept. 24 - Cary High School, 638 Walnut St., Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to East Cary and West Cary Middle schools, as well as proposed calendar application school changes.
    • Sept. 26 - Wakefield Middle School, 2300 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh - TOPIC: Proposed assignments to relieve overcrowding at Heritage High School.
    • Oct. 3 - Panther Creek High School - 6770 McCrimmon Parkway, Cary - TOPIC: Proposed assignments related to Alston Ridge Middle School and Parkside Elementary School.
    • Oct. 1 - Apex High School (Green Level campus) - 7600 Roberts Road, Cary - TOPIC: The opening of the new Green Level High School. Information will be presented about likely academic and extracurricular offerings in the first years of the school.

Draft 3 will be presented to the board on Oct. 16, and the board will then begin working toward a final plan. A vote is expected on Nov. 20. View full timeline.

Draft 1 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal was released on Aug. 21.

This is the beginning of a community discussion about the best ways to fill new schools opening in 2019 and to make the best use of existing school facilities. We are committed to ensuring that every child in Wake County attends an excellent school, no matter where they live.

We strive for a collaborative and transparent process. On this forum, we encourage you to find the topic thread that applies to you, then ask questions and provide feedback. School district staff and board members monitor this site regularly.

We will be able to respond directly to questions of process or clarification. We will answer more detailed questions in a frequently asked questions document.

Small2_parkside_es_rendering_800

Address: 100 Little Drive, Morrisville

Proposed Calendar: Year-Round

Size: 2-story, 52-classroom elementary school

Share your feedback about Parkside Elementary below.

247 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Elizabeth OConnor 2 months ago

Thank you for this assignment plan. I am very grateful you made the tough decision to make this a year-round school. I know most parents prefer a traditional calendar, but with the severe overcrowding in this area of the county, we need more year round schools to avoid our kids being shipped long distances. Thank you!!!

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Yamilka Cranford 2 months ago

Thank you for making this a year-roung school. It is the correct decision.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Lauderdale 2 months ago

As a tax payer that supports the upcoming bond, thank-you for maximizing capacity at a new school in a booming area with a shortage of schools.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Juanyetta Beasley 2 months ago

Is there a possibility for rising 5th graders to remain at their current school?

1 Vote
Bootstrap_10214983927405657
Tammy Petschke 2 months ago

I believe that rising 5th graders can be grandfathered in to their current school. However transportation will not be provided. Any younger siblings will be grandfathered in for the year as well but will have to switch after that year.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

Hi Juanyetta. Yes, Tammy has it exactly right! Thanks, Tammy. See our grandfathering policy here. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Yamilka Cranford 2 months ago

*year-round Sorry for the typo

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Pamela Brezinski 2 months ago

Thank you for maximizing the capacity at this school by making it year-round so it can serve more students. This is an important and fiscally responsible decision that will benefit our community and Morrisville students/families as our already crowded area continues to grow.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Andre Koetz 2 months ago

What would be the criteria, if any, to be excluded of the proposed move (3rd grade student)?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Andre. Only students who will be rising 5th graders in 2019-20 would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their school through the exit grade. If your child is moving into third grade this year, he or she would be assigned to Parkside for 4th grade.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10213856264626814
Monique Nesbitt 2 months ago

As a resident of a neighboring community, I was very pleased to see that the capacity of this school was maximized by operating as a year-round school. Thank you for continuing to make proximity a pillar of Wake County school assignment.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Casey Kiefer 2 months ago

Thank you for evaluating the growth in this area and making Parkside a year round school so that it can serve more students.

12 Votes

Bootstrap_10100904290017526
Jen Therrien 2 months ago

This is the first year that I've had a child in WCPS, and I'm very impressed with the adjustments in this new draft plan. I'm grateful that we have a board that is open to partnering with the community so that we prioritize every student equally.

11 Votes
Default_avatar

Thank you, Jen.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Becky Davis 2 months ago

I want my kids to attend a year round school so I am happy with the year round assignment to Parkside. I would like to know what the school hours will be for Parkside and if my address will get bus service. I live near the school, however based on the layout and terrain of the campus it doesn't look like walking access will be convenient for many and want to know how we find out if our address will be provided a bus? Also for those families that want to attend a traditional option instead, I don't feel it is acceptable to make them go 20 miles away to Southeast Raleigh to attend Powell Elementary. The traditional calendar option should be a closer school, people living in Morrisville should get a Morrisville/Cary option and not be expected to go to Raleigh.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Becky. Bell schedules and bus routes won't be determined until next year. Here is information about state law regarding No Transport or Walk Zones. No Transport / Walk Zone Families In accordance with state law, WCPSS does not automatically provide school bus transportation to families that reside within 1.5 miles of the school their student is attending. School Board Policy directs the Transportation Department to evaluate whether to provide transportation within 1.5 miles based on walkability and cost factors. Based on these factors, no transport/walk zone boundaries are established. Some schools do not have these zones. For other schools, the boundaries can change based on infrastructure improvements, such as the addition of a sidewalk or the placement of a crossing guard. If your student resides in the no transport/walk zone, the parent or guardian is responsible for providing transportation to and from school. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/175

As for the Powell option, we realize it is not proximate, but the traditional calendar schools nearby simply are too full and don't have seats for calendar application students. So we are trying to provide a creative solution for families in this area who like traditional calendar. We are also working with the Northwest Cary YMCA on the possibility of having their facility serve as an express bus stop before and after school that could also provide after-care for Powell students who live in this area. In addition to the traditional calendar, Powell offers a VERY cool and unique magnet theme, and students would be able to move on to Ligon and Enloe for middle and high school. We are hopeful many families will at least consider this option and go take a tour of Powell! https://www.wcpss.net/domain/4795

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Vishnu Aljapur 2 months ago

Please consider the Traditional school option to a nearby school the whole idea of elementary to be in the vicinity of the home is lost. it would be nearly impossible for a parent like me to send my elementary kids to commute such a long distance daily.

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone about 1 month ago

It is 20 miles away, clear on the other side of Capitol Blvd, and our very young children will be bused on a highway making safety an extreme issue. This is beyond nuts

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Ravi Upasi about 1 month ago

It does not make sense to have the base Traditional School option 18 miles from home for a elementary Kid. Please reconsider the Elementary Option. Parents who want year round are ok to send kids to ParkWest, but for our address(TownHall North,Morrisville) we had elementary option which was just 1.5 miles( CedarFork), but now the only Traditional Option that is given is Powell , which is 18 miles away, this will result in unnecessary Travel time of atleast 2 Hrs. Please consider assigning nearby Traditional School.

18 Votes

Default_avatar

Mr Dees, Please explain to me the reason that in 2019-2020 school year, Kitt Creek has TWO local traditional options (Green Hope Elem and Hortons Creek) as per the WCPSS address look-up, and Breckenridge has absolutely no local traditional choice? This is WRONG and must be rectified. We should not be forced to go to a magnet school regardless of the opinion that is is awesome. Also realize that giving us a bus stop option at a YMCA which is not in the close vicinity of my nieghborhood is making this option more doable??? It is causing major problems with those of us with elementary, Middle school and High school children. This is not allowing our elementary school children to participate in our town sports or extracurricular activities. It is not allowing parents to manage their schedules with their children's schedules by being in schools in the same town; this is creating a barrier for those parents that would like to volunteer at our elementary child's school (especially for those of us that work and are able to make limited time in our day to be there at the school); it makes it very difficult to have lunch with our child since the distance does not allow for us to make it within our own lunch break - taking precious time away from being with our child and supporting our child's school.
Giving the excuse that there is not enough room for our children in the schools our neighborhoods have been in for the past 17 years is NOT acceptable! Schools should be built to keep up with the growth. School Bonds have been voted on for a reason... Please reconsider sending our Morrisville students to Powell ES when our town has 3 elementary schools within our town and another 3-4 surrounding our neighborhood. Thank you for the opportunity to post - I do pray that these words do not go on deaf ears/blond eyes as too much is at stake for families to function properly!

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Raj Patil about 1 month ago

Matt, how can this be a creative solution for families when you are busing around 5 and 6 year old elementary schools 40 miles daily (1 hour 30 mins. in bus both ways)? I hate to say this, but it is absurd on the part of staff or board to even consider this because what you are trying to do is force kids to go to Magnet school. I wish the board reconsider and give us parents nearby schools who want traditional option.

18 Votes

Tammy Petschke about 1 month ago

If the traditional schools are so full that the only option is to bus kids to Powell, why is Parkside being opened as a YR school? Morrisville is a diverse community with many families that prefer the longer summer break to take their families on trips out of the country. When they are year round, the students end up missing school because 3 weeks is not enough when spending $$$ to take your family on a trip half way around the world.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Yogesh Shetty 2 months ago

Its good to see new schools coming up, but parents should have an option to select the nearest traditional school i.e Cedar fork.

20 Votes
Default_avatar
Vishnu Aljapur 2 months ago

Please consider the Traditional school option to a nearby school the whole idea of elementary to be in the vicinity of the home is lost. it would be nearly impossible for a parent like me to send my elementary kids to commute such a long distance daily.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Sonali Baig 2 months ago

Thank you for opening new schools in the area, this was much needed since many families are moving here. Unfortunately, this proposed school assignment is not supporting our family needs. We had specifically moved to our house 2 years ago for the school assignment-Cedar Fork & Traditional school. In addition, we wanted to our son to continue in the same elementary school and our daughter to join her brother next year. This plan is forcing us to make amends against our will, making work-life balance much more difficult for us. Year around will not work well for us and that's why we bought our house to stay with the traditional school-Cedar Fork. Now if this plan gets approved then it will not be feasible for us to sell our house and move to another area. This proposal makes our future so uncertain, with school assignments changing without any consideration and without any viable options. Just like other families, we have been paying fair share of taxes and our voice must be heard too. We understand if these proposed changes are applicable to new students but it's not fair to the current students and their soon to be enrolled siblings. We cannot accept this proposal as a welcome change. It will in turn cause major upheaval for our family. I hope WCPSS will consider the situation of current students and provide alternate acceptable options to those families. Thanks!

21 Votes

Default_avatar

I just can't believe that the board / staff is forcing traditional school parents to send kids to Magnet school and bus around 5 and 6 year old elementary school kids 40 miles daily (1 hour 30 mins. in bus both ways). The current proposed school assignment is definitely not supporting our family needs. We want a nearby and feasible traditional school option and I hope the board/staff will consider this in the next draft plan.

18 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

Again, we have not set a plan in stone yet. But if there were enough students in this area to attend Powell and choose to receive transportation, the bus would make few if any stops between the Y and Powell, making for a shorter trip.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Nataraja Arkalagud about 1 month ago

Ellen makes sense and absolutely agree with her

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Nageswar MANNEM 16 days ago

Ellen makes complete sense, this is very unfair and un acceptable to tax paying residents

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Kids spending their most precious time CAGED INSIDE THE BUS FOR 3 HOURS OR MORE IS A SERIOUS PUNISHMENT TO THE KIDS FOR NO FAULT OF THEIRS.....LET'S NOT BRING POLITICS TO INNOCENT KIDS LIVES AND MAKE THEM SUFFER

2 Votes

Default_avatar

That is absurd Mr Dees. The Y may be 5 miles from my home but in rush ours times it is not an easy 5 mile ride. This is NOT a solution, it is a cover up and again it is unacceptable to us tax paying residents. Put yourself (along with the entire Board) in our shoes and tell me you all would be ok with this for your 5-10 year old children especially if you also have a middle and/or high school student in your home.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Holly Wittenborn about 1 month ago

Please consider ONLY shifting students who are currently slated for Year round schools. Our family has carefully chosen homes over the past 16 years in Morrisville with one main concern, keeping our kids in traditional calendar schools. I believe that MANY families have done the same. Our youngest is at Cedar Fork as was his 3 old siblings. I do not like the idea of him being taken out of our local school (NC report card score A) and shipped all the way to North East Raleigh to Powell (score D). I'm sure this new year round school being opened will be nice, but it would force our family to have one child in year round while all the others are on a traditional calendar. This would be ridiculous! Please respect the families who have made great efforts to live on the streets currently zoned for tradition schools. There are more than enough kids in this area to fill the new school without forcing Traditional families into it.

18 Votes
Tammy Petschke about 1 month ago

besides being a D rated school- Powell has over 50% reduced free lunches! The test scores are horrible and WCPSS wants traditional students in our neighborhood sent to a school with inner city students who are struggling just to meet minimum grade standards?? We have 23% reduced/free lunch at our YR school in Cary and most of those students are brought in from downtown Raleigh and speak English as a second language. Saying it's a "magnet school" does not make it a better school. Keep Cedar Fork as an option or open Parkside as a traditional school to deal with the shortage of space in traditional schools. Parents at the year round school we attend have been trying to get their students into Green Hope Elementary and Weatherstone the last few years and have been denied. If it's because there's no space then the choice for the calendar for a new school is obvious.

13 Votes
Default_avatar
Guri Burmi 27 days ago

I agree that there is no merit in making Parkside as an Year Round school especially since most of thr growth in Wake County is either in Cary or Holly Springs. Morrisville is already built out for the most part. Why are students in Morrisville being sent to schools that are so far away. Plus this will reduce the home prices for Morrisville as well.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Vidya DassAkkisetty about 1 month ago

There are PLENTY or Year Round schools in these parts . And certainly not enough traditional schools .The obvious will be to open Parkside as traditional to fulfill that need. I am not buying into the "over crowing" argument . The over crowed schools in Western Wake are the TOP performing schools in the county (Cedar Fork,Mills Park EL , Mills Park Middle,Davis Drive El , Davis Drive Middle,Panther Creek. Both my kids are at over crowded schools ;Panther Creek and Hortons Creek. My older one went to nothing but capped schools (Cedar Fork and Mills Park Middle) .I have never seen a child sitting on the floor nor children in the hallway .The parents in these schools do not complain, the kids do not complain ,nor do the teacher complain.In fact in these over crowed schools in Western Wake , you'd find the most parental involvement and student achievement . WCPSS aims to have YR at an enrollment of 120%. If PSV is open at YR it would be at really 24% under enrolled and in two years when enrollment is set to drop ,it will be at 27% under enrolled. How much money would be wasted ? Where as if the school is open as traditional it will be fully utilized and then some . I'd rather spend money on an over capacity schools because I know it's money well invested than to spend money on a school that is under enrolled

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Andre Koetz about 1 month ago

I'm finally seen the voice of those that do not approve the idea, that from beginning, I understood to be a "Draft 1 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal". Assuming the answers given to us, it's not supposed to be neither a Draft, nor a Proposal, as there are no negotiation and or exceptions (per answer to question above). If this is true, why have this forum? Is it to create a platform only for the ones that like the idea? If not, present the numbers that would support the decision: 1. Number of Students that would be classified in the walk zone for both schools; 2. Number of students that even being in the walk zone make use of the bus; Both go with the Proposal of "primarily to maximize transportation efficiency and reduce overcrowding", assuming that who rides the bus being in the walk zone will not have transport, or may eventually be OK with moving the kid to Parkside. 3. Having the numbers for transport, collect the voices of the parents that today attend Cedar Fork, and exercise a bit of a democratic process, as you may be surprised of the answers for families that would eventually prefer to move to the new school due to siblings, proximity, work place, etc. 4. Hear about today's option of kids that either go to Stingray Academy or the Community Center adjacent, and plan accordingly for the potential need and usage of an aftercare for Parkside since it's opening and not later on; 5. Establish a secondary grandfathering process to work on the exceptions of who stays at Cedar Fork (e.g. existence of siblings, enrollment at school, time spent at school, etc.), not covered with 5th graders only; 6. Define a process to resolve disputes among "ties", assuming #5 would ever be possible; 7. After you have your work done, go back to the proposal of "reduce overcrowding" and check if you achieve the numbers needed; 8. If not, then work the radius (better saying, bus route mileage) to define the final cut for the households that will be assigned to Parkside. You may think that it is OK to skip to item #8 from the beginning, but I truly believe that the participating model, even if the parents do not get what you want at the end, will make Parkside more successful. If not doing so, you may end up counting only on those here that agree with the move to support, volunteer and/or participate in the school life of Parkside, exactly when it needs the most, at its inception.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

The ONLY people pleased about this assignment proposal are those from KITTS CREEK and they are NOT even assigned to the Parkside. They are assigned to Alston Ridge .

8 Votes

Default_avatar

We have added a thread about the proposal to offer Powell Magnet Elementary as a traditional calendar application school. https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/2019-20-student-enrollment-proposal/topics/feedback-about-powell-magnet-elementary-option

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Yogesh Shetty about 1 month ago

We moved to Morrisville considering the traditional school area, going that far for traditional school is no option. We didn't prefer magnet due to the distance.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Praj Joshi about 1 month ago

Thanks for the proposed assignment plan. I'm all for traditional school since my elder daughter will be in High school. The current proposed plan is not supporting my family needs. The board has proposed sending kids to traditional school (Powell Elementary) which is overkill for 5 / 6 year old elementary school kids because the school is 20 miles away from Morrisville. That means the kids will be on the bus for 1 hour 30 mins. daily (40 miles - both ways). Has the board thought about kids who are special needs and cannot be on the bus for long time? Magnet school is good as an option and the board here is trying to force it on us. This needs to be changed in the next proposal and we want a nearby traditional school option.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Mamta Chandak about 1 month ago

Thank you for making proximity a pillar of Wake County school assignment. I live in close by neighborhood and very please with this Assignment. Year Round can accommodate more students than Traditional which is a must based on growth in the area. So Thank you.

11 Votes
Default_avatar

Kitts Creek is not assigned to this school

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Sudeep Chandak about 1 month ago

Thanks you for this School Assignment. Having Elementary and Middle School close by and on Same calendar helps Families. Thanks you...

6 Votes
Default_avatar

You guys kept saying and promoting that calendar alignment is NOT important nor a Pillar of assignment .Kitts Creek kept saying they don't care about calendar nor calendar alignment, they only care about PROXIMITY .Why are you changing your tune now ?

5 Votes
Default_avatar
Sudeep Chandak about 1 month ago

There is no Change. We want Proximity and if Year round is only option for proximity I am more than happy to take it. Year round allows 400+ more students to attend the school then Traditional. Meaning more kids can go to Proximity school. Need to worry about the community growth. Also having a year round school is good thing as its maximizes the limited resources.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly McAleer about 1 month ago

I wanted to voice my support for this school plan. I love my child's elementary school (Morrisville) but they are already on the bus for so long, and a closer school that will be catering to full neighborhood and probably have dedicated and quick busing will improve the everyday life of my family. I am sympathetic with families who this does not work for, but between have 400 children less in a school or making in a year round - with no new schools in the area being built, is a tough but good decision. It is a real shame that option-schools are not chosen by proximity - with all of the moves to this new school, can that be adjusted?

8 Votes
Default_avatar
Wendy Alexander 17 days ago

Your children are on the bus too long and they’re ONLY at Morrisville Elementary. Imagine a school 2-3 times farther away?? This is the option that parents are facing if they open Parkside Elem as YR.

Open it Traditional and YR parents have multiple options within 3 miles of their homes. Open it YR and parents have 30-45 min bus rides for their children... which one would your CHILD choose?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Erin Simmons about 1 month ago

I understand that change is necessary, but having a kid that will have completed two years at Cedar Fork at the end of this traditional school year, I would like the option of at least applying to Cedar Fork as a traditional option in case there is space if other families who are assigned to Cedar Fork would prefer a year round school. But to further echo the sentiments of others on this forum, I chose our home with the expectation of going to a traditional calendar school since we would have children that span high school to elementary school and wanted to keep all on the same calendar. With the only traditional back up option being so far away, I will not put my elementary school age kids on a bus that long, so I am forced into a year round school, and then will have to juggle two calendars once they are all in school in a few years.

Looking forward as though this is definite to switch to Parkside from Cedar Fork, when do we find out about how to register for tracks, and when would know what track we are assigned, as there are 2019 summer vacation plans based on the traditional calendar that would potentially have to be rearranged to accommodate this change.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
KadyAnn Burrell about 1 month ago

Thank you for considering proximity when assigning neighborhoods to Parkside. While the year-round calendar is not ideal for our family, we appreciate not having to go to Carpenter for the 2019 school year. Our school assignment has changed twice since we bought our house and at least this change will be helpful for our current kindergartener. Thanks from resident - Providence Place.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Prathap Prabakar about 1 month ago

We need a traditional school as an option. Please assign the nearby school Cedar fork or make Parkside Elementary as Traditional. It is very hard for young kids to commute so long on daily basis to Raleigh to attend a traditional school. We need a traditional school assignment in morrisville/ cary area.

12 Votes

Default_avatar
Prathap Prabakar about 1 month ago

Do you know what basis the base school assignments are done. Cedar fork is walkable from my address and it is not even an application school option. Can you please share the map on how school assignments are made

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Carol Lewis about 1 month ago

Thank you so much for hearing the concerns of those whose children have been bused too far for too long. This plan maximizes capacity in quality, accessible schools, and we are grateful.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Rupal Nishar about 1 month ago

Thank you for making this year round. This maximizes the capacity and can help with some of the over flow issues. Proximity over calendar year is critical to the community!

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Lauderdale about 1 month ago

Keep Parkside Year-Round as proposed in Draft #1. If Parkside becomes Traditional it will cause overcrowding at other nearby elementary schools. Until taxpayers are willing to fund building all the schools we need, schools in booming areas will need to be Year-Round. Don't blame overcrowding on WCPSS. Blame overcrowding on Town Council members that approved too much growth/development.

11 Votes
Default_avatar

Do you have children attending any of these schools? How is this affecting you on a daily basis? How does it affect your family? Your children?

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Guri Burmi at October 19, 2018 at 1:25pm EDT

@Steve. There is no new construction happening in Morrisville to over crowd schools. How do you plan to use an Year to its full capacity when there are no new families or children moving to this area. A traditional school will serve Morrisville better.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kathleen Sales about 1 month ago

I support the proposed plan and keeping Draft #1 as is. I sincerely wish that there were enough school seats nearby so that families would be able to choose their calendar preference. Unfortunately, that is not the reality we have right now and I applaud WCPSS for this solution to maximize available seats for our students and their families. I believe that WCPSS has done the best that could be done in this difficult situation. Kids should not have to travel far distances to schools so that their neighbors can choose the calendar option they prefer - education has to come before calendar since we are in a situation where we cannot have both.

7 Votes
Default_avatar

Do your children attend WCPSS schools? How does this affect your children who attend private schools? Cardinal Gibbkns and now Thales?

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Guri Burmi at October 19, 2018 at 1:28pm EDT

We are told by WCPSS and Town that no new Middle or High Schools can be built in Morrisville since there is no land available. If there is no land available then where can we build new houses? Therefore to say that Morrisville is a high growth area does not make sense. A traditional school will benefit people in this area better than an Year Round one.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

My name is Ellen Moricone and I, along with my husband Joe and our 2 children, have been a resident of Morrisville, in the Breckenridge subdivision, for 14+ years. I would like to just begin by thanking you for the countless hours you give listening to the residents and making tough decisions to make our schools the best they can be, all while trying to accommodate many, many families and their needs during such rapid growth. I have witnessed the rapid growth that our area of the Triangle has and continues to experience. I do not know how long you have lived in this area but please bare with me as I give a little recap of what Breckenridge has been through these past 9+ years.

Breckenridge was one of the 1st of two communities built in Morrisville in 2001 (the other being the Gardens on Town Hall Drive). Breckenridge is also the largest community in Morrisville to date with 1,049 homes and 3-4 times that amount of school-age children residing here. Cedar Fork Elementary school was built to accommodate the children in these 2 communities as well as for those in the apartments across from Breckenridge. Morrisville Elementary and Davis Drive Elementary exists but was NEVER an option for Breckenridge.

In 2008, my oldest son was in 1st grade at Cedar Fork Elementary School. Our neighborhood was told that due to the overcrowding (Twin Lakes, Cary was developed along with other communities within close vicinity of CFES) Breckenridge could no longer remain at CFES. Our neighborhood was crushed since the majority of the CFES PTA was run by our neighborhood parents, we were very involved in the school, and we were being switched from Traditional to Year Round calendar for our base school, our traditional calendar options were Green Hope Elem. Many of us fought the "battle" to remain in the school that was built for us (CFES) and many of us decided to go with the flow of the reassignment (Alston Ridge Elem) - my son being amongst them, in order to avoid being tossed out again the following year, which did eventually happen.

Since then, Breckenridge has been "tossed out" of several schools (to include: Cedar Fork Elem, Carpenter Elementary, Mills Park Middle, and now starting in 2019-2020 ALL of the schools we are assigned to this year) and bused to schools further away. We have been reassigned time and time again and have continued to fight the battles and voice our concerns and go to meetings without positive results for Breckenridge. The schools we are being reassigned to are clear across town (takes 35-50 min during peak traffic time which produces hardships for parents). We have had the majority of our neighborhood parents throw their hands up in surrender & many placed/are placing "For Sale" signs on their lawns due to the unfair situations we have been dealt for 9+ years. Those parents of children in Middle and High schools no longer feel the need to fight for the elementary school situation. The reason we don't show up for meetings in large quantities or make phone calls and send email to voice our concerns anymore...we are promised one thing and the total opposite is being executed. 9+ years of fighting the battle every other year and not getting positive results has taken its toll on all of us. So now one or two of us will show up at a meeting or email to speak for Breckenridge and we are now being told (word of mouth thru our neighborhood) that "since other neighborhoods, (namely Kitt Creek & Providence Place - and note that this is their 1st fight, led by Morrisville Commissioner Jerry Windler, as I am told, who was one of several folks that promised Breckenridge during his election that he would do right by us), have more attendees and are making more noise, so they are getting what they want". Really?! I know that this is not the "absolute" truth and I understand that there are many things that factor into the decisions, but Breckenridge is continually being kicked out of and reassigned to schools (elementary and middle schools) further and further away. Keep in mind, we always were very active and in high numbers with verbalizing our concerns, but seriously, how many years do we have to fight for what makes sense and for what is, overall, more cost effective and what the majority of the residents of these towns want. Please review the numbers from the poll & comment boards put out by WCPSS regarding each families needs for school year calendar (and is there a way to make sure that each poll completed is an actual WCPSS parent? There are rumors that folks in Kitt Creek were having family/friends that do not even live here fill out the polls - not sure how true this is but that does not seem fair at all).

THE "REAL MAJOR" CONCERN: Now I see on the WCPSS website, when I put in my address, that my now 2nd grader (along with HUNDREDS of Breckenridge students) will no longer be allowed to remain in Green Hope Elementary, or whatever traditional school they are in, after this year and will have to be bused to Powell ES, a "Magnet" elementary school 20 miles away, and will be required to ride a bus for an hour each way next school year (2019-2020). Please tell me how this is justifiable??? These are small children that will have to wake up an hour earlier and get home an hour later, do homework, eat dinner and go right to bed - no down time, no play time, no after school sports or classes for them because they will not be home until 5:30/6pm. This is absolute craziness and so not acceptable. Please change this!

When Parkside Elementary school was being planned, we were promised numerous times, and I have personally been to these meetings, that it will be a school that Breckenridge will NOT been thrown out of and it will be Traditional. There are only 2 traditional elementary schools in or close to Morrisville (Cedar Fork and Green Hope - no longer an option for Breckenridge after this year) both which are capped; the year round elementary schools (Morrisville Elementary, Carpenter Elementary, Alston Ridge Elem), are NOT capped!!! My children are in high school and elementary school otherwise I would not mind the year-round option for Parkside Elementary. I would love for my youngest to remain at Green Hope Elementary, (Cedar Fork would have been great but we accept the fact that it is not an option), but apparently it is not an option for us and losing bus privelages is wrong, especially when the county is willing to bus our children 40 miles a day rather than keep them locally. The impact of losing bus services, when our taxes pay for it, is overwhelming for us parents...I have endured this horror when my oldest was kicked out of Mills Park Middle for his last year of Middle School - we applied for him to stay and had to drive him (and 109 students from Breckenridge alone) to the school (MPMS). This was a nightmare for working parents as well as for the schools (ask the Principal of MPMS).

Parkside Elementary is going to be literally in Breckenridge's backyard, we could walk there (no buses needed) and you are not allowing Breckenridge to remain with a traditional school in our backyard (again, there are several options for year-round close by that are NOT capped, but none for traditional). Please, I along with my many, many neighbors are pleading with you to NOT bus our Breckenridge children 20 miles away starting in 2019, forcing a Magnet school on us, and making it so very impossible to have a normal family life (after school activities, attending and participating in our children's school, having a high school child and/or a middle school child and/or an elementary school child in the same household on different school calendars, no family vacations due to different calendars, etc, etc, etc.).

Western Wake County (Morrisville & western Cary) is in dire need for traditional calendar public schools for many reasons; one reason, as I understand it, effects the county funding if families apply for & attend Charter schools which I know many families in my neighborhood are doing in fear of what is to come. This will take the funding away from public schools so it is a lose-lose situation. Please be aware of this and reconsider reassigning Breckenridge's traditional option (if Parkside Elem is year-round) to a local neighborhood school. (Seriously, would you want your K-5th grader to be bused to a school 20 miles away when there are plenty of schools within a 10 mile radius of your home?).

Thank you for your time and consideration in this important matter, I do appreciate it very much

21 Votes
Default_avatar

I have a difficult time believing your statement: "When Parkside Elementary school was being planned, we were promised numerous times...it will be Traditional." Can you back that up with facts? Who made that promise?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Shruthi Subbagari about 1 month ago

Steve, I am new to this neighborhood, but I have heard a lot of Brekenridge residents that lived here for more that 10 years say that "When Parkside Elementary school was being planned, we were promised numerous times...it will be Traditional."

5 Votes

Default_avatar

Sorry Steve, I do not have it in writing or recorded. It was spoken words at one of the many meetings I attended prior to the approval of building Parkside Elementary. (I do believe it was at a meeting at the Breckenridge clubhouse and there were several meetings held here. I am unable to pin point who said it but I know it was said more than once. No need to believe it as it really doesn't matter at this point.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Rob, Wow. Thanks for clarifying this. I can understand the disappointment and confusion. It seems that her telling you that Parkside would be Traditional was premature and off-base. Perhaps she meant she “wished” or “hoped” it could be Traditional? However, due to the lack of capacity in this booming area, it seems that the data on student numbers will require that the two schools in/near Morrisville open as YR. So, due to lack of WCPPS schools, I support the 1st draft to open Parkside as YR. In any case, I hope WCPSS can find a closer alternative for families that are assigned to Parkside as their base but want calendar instead of Proximity. I also hope development slows down because otherwise more schools in our area will have to shift to YR in the future. I “wish” Parkside could be Traditional but only if Wake had enough $$$ to build all the schools needed to meet proximity and calendar. Unfortunately, there is opposition to a state-wide school bond and there is not enough support for a larger Wake County school bond.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Ron Garcia about 1 month ago

Steve here is the information you are looking for Kristine Kushner "Told" us during the meeting and she confirmed it during our conversation last week, here is a link as well to the article showing Parkside was to be traditional, http://carycitizen.com/2016/10/11/education-bill-fletcher-october-newsletter-3/ This is why there is a fuss, we were NEVER promised but we were told if the budget passed and we voted for it they would make it traditional.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Sarah Grimsrud about 1 month ago

Ellen, I can appreciate your frustration. When we moved to the area almost five years ago, we were told not to rely on school assignment in selecting our home due to the incredible growth in Morrisville and NW Cary. Essentially, the choice of school and definitely, the choice of school calendar would not stay consistent throughout our children's school years. The growth in this area cannot abide schools opened as traditional calendars, and as such, if a traditional calendar is your primary concern for your family, that option is still available to you, albeit with some sacrifice. For my part, I too prefer a traditional calendar, but I am willing to sacrifice that in order to have my child attend a more proximate school. I wouldn't fault our current Town Council or the WCPSS because they are now doing their best to deal with a situation created by the NC General Assembly not properly funding the capital needs of schools in this area as well as prior Town Councils that didn't think through the adverse effects of over developing the area without a plan to address public (not private charter) school needs.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Tara Fisher about 1 month ago

I would like to thank the school board for their proposal to make Parkside a year round school, which recognizes the needs of our growing community. Considering our growing population, our schools currently at maximum capacity, and families who wish to attend close, neighborhood schools, this was the best decision. Thank you!

4 Votes

Default_avatar

WCPSS, Thanks for the excellent work with this draft based on the four pillars. I understand some folks may prefer that Parkside open on a traditional calendar but that would only aggravate the lack of capacity and cause even greater overcrowding. (Keep in mind that the Morrisville Town Council is constantly approving new residential development.) Moreover, vacation schedules are not a pillar for school assignments. Families insisting on vacation schedules over proximity have the option to apply to an alternate school with the calendar they want. It is sad that the NC General Assembly did not approve a state-wide referendum which would have provided much needed school construction funds. As noted in slide #19, data speaks volume. Sadly, in booming growth areas, Wake needs schools with Year-Round calendars to play catch-up with the population growth.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Cary Resident about 1 month ago

If GHE is underutilized to the point you need to expand the base, why not just make it the calendar option for Parkside?

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Totally feasible solution. If 48% of the students at GHE weren’t bused in from out of zip code areas it would allow for Breckenridge community to utilize this option.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Holly Wittenborn about 1 month ago

The plan has made many happy, but has steam rolled families in traditional schools. I don't believe there is any reason to alter the schools of traditional calendar families at all. I believe they have more than enough kids happy and willing to fill up this new school. Here a petition that we hope will call attention to the unnecessary flaw in the this plan.
https://www.change.org/p/wcpss-board-keep-schools-closer-to-home?recruiter=16636072&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=sms&utm_campaign=share_sms_responsive

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Srikanth Valluru about 1 month ago

Considering the growth of population in Morrisville area and lack of ES schools, it's an obvious and makes sense decision to open Parkside ES as YR which will accommodate more kids and also save money to Board.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

IF Parkside opens on a traditional calendar it accommodates only 636 students versus 834 students on a Years-Round Multi-Track calendar. Proponents of a traditional calendar have not explained what happens to the 198 students that get locked out of Parkside in order to accommodate the vacation schedules of folks in Breckenridge. #WhatHappensToThe198?

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Rishi ZA 27 days ago

Steve Lauderdale I like your enthusiasm to make Wake County a better place and make sure that all kids have access to school.If Wake county is so concern about capacity and shortage of school why not convert all current Traditional school to YR and increase the capacity ? The problem here is how differently Wake county treats two community which are close to each other .One gets two Traditional school as option which are within few miles and other gets Traditional school at 20 miles .Also running two different calendar schools means more cost to Wake County .I am not here to argue or fight Traditional vs YR but all I am saying is "IF WAKE COUNTY HAS SHORTAGE OF SCHOOL THEN CONVERT ALL EXISTING TRAD> SCHOOL TO YR WHICH WILL BE A LESS COST THEN TRYING TO BUILD NEW SCHOOL AND THEN THE FUSS OF CALENDAR TYPE WILL BE MINIMIZED"

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Lauderdale 26 days ago

Rishi, I’m happy to clarify my views. This is might be the second time someone may have misunderstood my views about school calendars. The following is an excerpt in a reply to an email to Morrisville Council Member Garimella with cc’s to the Wake County School Board: “Council Member Garimella…you may have misunderstood my position on this issue. I am in favor of a mix of calendars and I am advocating for a year-round calendar for the two new schools (Alston Ridge Middle and Parkside Elementary) opening in/near Morrisville due to the lack of WCPSS capacity in/near Morrisville.”

In other words, I am opposed to, using your words, converting “all current Traditional school to YR and increase the capacity.”

I strongly support Wake’s $548 million bond referendum to provide funds to construct, renovate, expand, improve and equip school buildings and other school facilities. Frankly, I wish they had increased the amount to $2 billion. Moreover, I am very disappointed that the General Assembly did not allow a bond referendum for $1.9 billion for statewide school construction. Unfortunately, opponents to public schools characterize these as “tax increases”, which they are. Simply put, schools cost money.

Until there is enough political pressure on the General Assemble and election of a majority that is pro-schools, I don’t see relief in sight. So, under the circumstances, I’m impressed with how WCPSS is trying to maximize the limited school capacity in a booming part of the county. They have to play catch-up with the residential development approved by Cary and Morrisville Town Councils. Frankly, I wish the Morrisville Town Council would do everything the can to slow down growth until the school situation improves.

Some discussions have focused on proximity vs calendar. For example, a Providence Place survey with over 250 responses showed that 80%+ wanted school assignments based on proximity as opposed to calendar. I still care about the 20%.

There is an important quote from a school board member: “You can’t have stability, proximity and choose your calendar in a high-growth area.” Very sad but true. I hope things change with the General Assembly.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

The 198 students will have 3-4 options within 3 miles of their homes. The 500+ traditional students will spend 3 hours every day on the bus. Those families also risk being denied transportation to school this being an additional stressor on the families and those schools lose support from parents if Parkside is opened YR. Please explain how this school calendar option affects YOUR children.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Guri Burmi 26 days ago

Steve, the residents of Providence Place wanted a school based on proximity for both Traditional and Yr Round options. It looks like WCPSS based on the first 2 draft favored the Yr Round option very heavily and compensated that with an equally poor Traditional option. Parents should be given both options so they can chose based on their family's needs.

Let us not confuse wanting proximity to not wanting calendar options. That is not what majority of Providence Place is would like.

Moreover Morrisville is not the high growth area right now. That distinction belongs to Cary and Holly Springs. Why are people living in Morrisville having to suffer!!

4 Votes

Default_avatar

This school will NOT be at capacity if open YR . It is set op open at only 96% and after just two years of opening , enrollment is anticipated to decrease to 93% (slide 14) . This is a WASTE of money if a schools is not utilized fully . I'd rather have a crowed school than an underutilized school . A crowed school is money well spent and maximizing resources , funding schools especially YR schools that are under capacity is a waste of resources . Further more , I still want to know how come you live in Kitts Creek for about 3 now and you child goes to Cedar Fork .Cedar Fork has not been KC base nor calendar option for over 8 years . And don't try saying because of grandfathering rule . The only kids allowed to grandfather are rising 5th graders you child is only in the 2nd or 3 grade . Maybe this is why schools are over crowed because people are not sending their kids to their base schools.

9 Votes
Default_avatar

Do you have any numbers on the number of kids we are going to have once we have all the construction going on town hall dr, church street going on ? You want a crowded school and what will happen to the kids who move into the same neighborhood..then you want to say..Sorry it is capped..About of Waste of Money...if a school is open YR I heard it will save $44 Million per school I am sure you know how big amount that is....And it is not anyone's business to ask Personal questions here...I am not entitled to answer you..if you know me or my family..stop by our place I will let you know....or write to wake County board or talk to Cedar Fork School...I am sure you are having HALF KNOWLEDGE because you are not aware of the all cases on which kids are given spot in school and in what cases they are allowed to continue....I would have answered if there was politeness in asking about other's parent's kids and that was the reason I didn't answer you in other thread too...

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Vidya,
Thank-you for publicly exposing the weakness of Breckenridge’s argument based on poor use of statistics. With regard to the statement that Parkside “will NOT be at capacity if open YR,” NONE of the new schools will open at capacity. That is because WCPSS understands that this is a booming area and new development will quickly fill any remaining capacity. According to slide #14, SE RALEIGH ES (E46) will open at 61%. According to slide #18, PARKSIDE ES (E50) will open at 96% with a Year-Round calendar. According to slide #28, ALSTON RIDGE MS (M16) will open at 86% with a Year-Round calendar. According to slide # 35, GREEN LEVEL HS (H7) will open at 58%.

So, although opening on Year-Round calendar, Parkside will be the most crowded new school at 96%

Year-round schools are not a waste of money. Year-round schools offer 33% more capacity. This will help preserve bond capacity to build on the 44 acres since Morrisville needs a real public high school, not a charter school.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees @matt dees. This comment by Vidya DassAkkisetty is very much uncalled for. This is not a forum for her to demand from parents an explanation of “how come you live in Kitts Creek…and you child goes to Cedar Fork.” Information about individual students should not be discussed on this board. Vidya has a reputation for being the busy body in her HOA but that should not extend to this forum.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Breckenridge, and Town Hall residents are asking the WCPSS Board of Education to reconsider the draft student assignment plan for 2019-2020.

The majority (75%) of residents prefer a traditional calendar elementary school to ease financial impact to budgets, and ensure consistency in after school child care. Opening Parkside Elementary as a year-round elementary school would create hardship for families who have already been affected by numerous redistricting plans over the past 15 years. Breckenridge, in particular, has often been a "swing" neighborhood in these plans, resulting in its students being shifted from schools on one side of Davis Drive to the other. This causes significant stress to families.

We are asking the Board to consider that IF Parkside Elementary is opened as a year-round school:

• The proposed traditional calendar option for K-5 students is Powell Elementary School, a school in Southeast Raleigh, which is 20 miles from our homes.
  • At least 12 traditional calendar elementary schools are closer, including Cedar Fork, Green Hope, Hortons Creek, and Mills Park.
  • Our communities have many parents who work full-time and parents who do not drive, and they would not be able to participate in their children's education if the elementary school were 20 miles away.

We are asking that the WCPSS Board of Education add Cedar Fork or Green Hope Elementary and Hortons Creek back as a traditional calendar option for our students. We are also asking that students who are already enrolled in traditional elementary schools in the area be grandfathered in and allowed to continue in their established school communities.

Thank you for your measured and thoughtful consideration of our request.

9 Votes

Default_avatar

OPEN PARKSIDE ON A TRADITIONAL CALENDAR !!!! or else there is nothing around here but YR schools (Morrisville EL, Carpenter EL ,Alston Ridge EL and Parkside EL) . This is cause our real estate value to decrease and also not make Morrisville attractive to live it .

7 Votes

Default_avatar

For folks not happy with Parkside opening year-round:
As a practical matter, your best arguments are NOT to (1) criticize WCPSS for opening Parkside as YR in a booming area with a shortage of school capacity nor (2) blame Kitts Creek and Providence Place residents for you not getting your way. Instead, for folks that value summer vacations over proximity, your best argument would be to ask WCPSS to consider offering other traditional school(s) for folks that do not want to go to their assigned school, in this case Parkside. Somehow, there has been a misperception that the neighborhood closest to the school gets to dictate how the school will be used. Sorry, but this is a WCPSS school not for the exclusive use of one neighborhood/HOA. Any local politician/HOA leader that “promised” E-50 would be Traditional was out of bounds by usurping the authority of the Board of Education. In turn that has caused a serious communication issue. Who made that promise?

5 Votes
Default_avatar

agreed with your comment as I posted below earlier. We need to focus on positive change not blame game and make the best of it. Major concern (see below) is getting a local traditional school instead of Powell ES 20+ miles away,

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Listen Folks, we all want what is best for our children. That said, the BIGGEST concern at this point in time is having local options for ALL communities so we can choose to send our kids to either calendar option within a SAFE and REASONABLE DISTANCE. As of now, if you plug in an address for Kitt Creek, they are assigned to Alston Ridge elem for 2019-2020 school year and they have TWO traditional school options (Horton's Creek & Green Hope Elem). BUT if you look at Breckenridge, we are assigned to Parkside Elem for 2019-2020 and the ONLY traditional option we have is POWELL elem which is a magnet school 20 MILES away (on the other side of Capitol Blvd) and will require AN HOUR bus ride EACH WAY... Now you tell me how this is fair, responsible, safe, and acceptable for what should be "the best" for our students???? Let's actually fight for what really matters - calendar options that are near our own community!!!

8 Votes

Default_avatar

Sadly, it is becoming clear that part of the problem has been miscommunication by Breckenridge HOA leaders that “promised” that Parkside would be Traditional. Breckenridge leaders didn’t have the authority to make that promise. That decision is made by the Wake County Board of Education. Sorry if Breckenridge residents were misled by your HOA leadership. In any case, due to the explosive growth in Morrisville, a Year-Round calendar seemed inevitable. Again, the underlying issues was false/unauthorized promises. I feel your pain.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Andre Koetz about 1 month ago

No It's not miscommunication. I live 0.8 mile from Cedar Fork, and we walk to/from school - meaning no co$t with transportation. Now we are assigned to a 2.1 mile school, that by the way will be impossible to walk to, even if wanted. The simple thing was to ask from the ones attending traditional calendars who would move to Parkside. If there are enough kids moving, all this discussion would be unnecessary...

2 Votes

Default_avatar

HOA leaders did not promise anything .. WCPSS Board members and staff said E-50 will open on a Traditional Calendar on many occasions . Here's a link to prove it

http://carycitizen.com/2016/10/11/education-bill-fletcher-october-newsletter-3/

6 Votes

Default_avatar

Another one : E-50/Parkside Elementary Summary/Update September 12, 2017 ....SLIDE 6 Traditional School for 900 Children – do not know which areas will feed school until approx. 6 months prior • Included future mobile classroom space to manage growth over the years – https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/102179/E-50_Update_rev.pdf

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Vidya, Thank-you for providing some references on this topic. It is clear there was a miscommunication issue with regard to Parkside. These two items: "Traditional School for 900 Children" seem mutually exclusive.

Under a traditional calendar, Parkside only accomodates 636 students versus 834 students on a Year-Round Multi-Track calendar.

So, we can just as easily state that we were "promised" a school that would accomodate 900 children and the only way to get close to that is to open the school year-round. If Parkside is not opened Year-Round, what happens to the 198 students that get kicked out of Parkside?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Steve, Thanks for providing the numbers. Is it True that the current nearby Year round schools (Alston Ridge Elementary, Carpenter Elementary) and not running at full capacity?

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Praj, Many nearby schools are at over capacity. The WCPSS data show the consequences of the area housing boom. According to slide #19, for 2019-20: Alston Ridge ES will be at 96% Caprenter ES will be at 133% (125% with trailers.) Cedar Fork ES will be at 158% (103% with trailers.) Mills Park ES will be at 126% (117% with trailers.) Morrisville ES will be at 141% (128% with trailers.) Parkside ES will open at 96%. As noted in this discussion NONE of the four new schools will open at full capacity. The three other new schools will open 58% (Green Level HS), 61% (SE Raleigh ES) , and 86% (Alston Ridge MS.)

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Nithya Rajesh about 1 month ago

I would like to know why Parkside elementary was chosen to be opened as Year around. The existing Yr around schools are not running at full capacity to begin with. This seems like a waste of all the tax payers money. I heard GHE dosent have that many Kindergartners this year... Then why weren't we given seats there? My elder one us in a traditional calendar and my younger one will go to a year round... This brings up so much confusion and chaos in our family schedules. I think it would be the case in many families here in Morrisville. It's not fair to bus our elementary kids so far when our neighbouring communities enjoy multiple traditional calendar schools as options. MAKE PARKSIDE AS TRADITIONAL.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Prateek Pramanik about 1 month ago

Thank you for making Parkside as Year Round. With such rapid growth in the area, we need to have as many seats in this area as possible.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Poonam Gonsalves about 1 month ago

The current draft proposal moves us from traditional to Parkside Elementary which is Year round school. The only traditional option we have been given is Powell Elementary school which is 20 miles away and will require 45 mins. to 1 hour bus ride each way. The board and staff thinks this is a creative solution for families. I just don't understand how this is creative when they are forcing the elementary kids who are 5 and 6 year old to ride daily 2 hours in the bus (both ways). Looks like the board completely forgot about proximity which is one of the pillars. I wish the board give us nearby traditional school and stop moving us from one school to another every year.

8 Votes

Bootstrap_10155952300678651
Mark Dixon about 1 month ago

WCPSS Board members... There are many difficult decisions that you make, and appreciate your time and effort with this first draft. I agree that you must open Parkside as a year round school, with the influx of people coming to the area for the coming years. It is a harsh reality that the school board must find seats for everyone coming into the area, so the frontier of growth must maximize the capacity in those areas. That said, I am personally crushed but must accept the new assignment as my rising 5th grader next year will be assigned to a new school (I know I have an option to stay at Carpenter if I provide transportation, which I can't). The reason why I have an emotional reaction to the assignment is that I have invested significantly in Carpenter Elementary for the last 6 years. I was expecting to have a positive influence on the school community this year and next as the PTA president. I also have HUNDREDS of hours invested in Camp Chameleon, which is an outdoor learning space that no other school in the county has. I had plans to introduce more outdoor lessons for the teachers, and am disappointed that my time will be cut short. HOWEVER, I ACCEPT THE NEW STUDENT ASSIGNMENT. I will be involved in the new school with my 5th grader (as well as my 6th grader). I ACCEPT that the school board must make decisions that affect the whole community. I AGREE with the decision to open Parkside as a year round school, because it is absurd to open a school using less of it's capacity and have it open then capped. There will be more people moving into the area, and they will have to accept that the year round calendar is the only fiscally responsible choice. Thank you for your continued efforts on behalf of all of our students.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Kelly Little about 1 month ago

Hi there - I thought rising 5th graders could be grandfathered in to remain at their current school.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Cary Resident about 1 month ago

Rising 5th graders must apply but it is automatically granted.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10155952300678651
Mark Dixon about 1 month ago

They can petition to stay, and then they must provide their own transportation.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

I am very grateful you are opening this school as YR. We love Carpenter Elementary and we will miss it. However, the new school is closer to our house. My family can handle change. :)

4 Votes

Default_avatar

If all the Elementary schools nearby are at more than 100% capacity then it would make sense to have a Traditional school for the parents who want Traditional option. The current option provided by WCPSS to bus elementary students to Raleigh (20 miles one way) is absurd. By sending small kids 20 miles away WCPSS board completely forgot about proximity.

6 Votes
Default_avatar

I hear you. Part of the problem is that we are in a booming area and suffering from the previous Town Council approving plenty of rezoning. To compensate for lack of schools, most nearby schools need to be on a YR calendar to handle the capacity. Feel free to call out Town Council members that received large donations from special interests -- for example, Garimella rec'd $2K from a Real Estate PAC in his last campaign.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Steve, My fact is pretty clear that I want a traditional school nearby just like how Kitts Creek residents are assigned (Green Hope and Horton Creek). For me, sending my 6 year old 20 miles away is outrageous. Also, my elder daughter is in high school which is traditional. Regarding your comment about summer vacations, it is for the parents and the families to decide what works best for them.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Steve, I'm not here to call out Garimella or Steve Rao or other Town council members or Mayor or WCPSS board members or Senator or Representatives. My understanding is that every elected official takes money from PAC whether it is town council or WCPSS board members or any other elected official. My issue is WCPSS board members completely forgot about small kids and want to send the kids 20 miles away. I'm pretty sure the board members also don't drive that much for their board meetings. My sincere request is they give us nearby traditional option. Also, to you not to politicize this comments section.

8 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees @matt dees. This comment my Steve Lauderdale is very much uncalled for . This is not a political forum neither is Garimella on the WCPSS Board . Furthermore , Steve Lauderdale does not have children in WCPSS nor is his neighborhood (Kitts Creek) assigned to Parkside .

9 Votes

Default_avatar

Praj,

I hear you. Unfortunately, there is an undercurrent of politics on this issue.

On a more substantive note, you mentioned that “WCPSS...wants to send the kids 20 miles away.” Frankly, your post has some omissions that inadvertently misrepresent the facts. Whereas, it seems that this is the full story: For summer vacation reasons, some families prefer calendar over proximity. When exercising that choice, parents will be electing a 20-mile commute but would prefer a closer alternative when deciding NOT to remain at the near-by base school. Is that fair? Your other posts told the full story and perhaps, as is common, you were talking in shortcuts and that is ok.

I sympathize with the dilemma that parents face in choosing calendar over proximity. Unfortunately, Wake County doesn’t have enough schools to offer a near-by alternative when parents elect not to have their kids attend the near-by base school. The lack of funds for schools is a political issue that starts with the NC General Assembly on down. I’ve been told that, in particular, residential real estate investors are against school bond referenda because it will increase the taxes on their investment properties.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Maharajan Shunmugam about 1 month ago

PLEASE reconsider the assignment of schools as per 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal considering the parent and kids who need only a TRADITIONAL school within close proximity of their home. It's impossible for the kids who are already going to Cedar fork elementary school to travel 18 miles to continue in a traditional school. I am wondering why WCPSS didn't even consider all those kids before drafting the plan. We should be given option to select a traditional school or a year around school within the close proximity of the home.

I hope WCPSS will consider the concerns of all the parents and change the assignment in favor of us.

PLEASE ALLOW KIDS TO CONTINUE IN THEIR BASE TRADITIONAL SCHOOL OR MAKE PARK SIDE ELEMENTARY AS A TRADITIONAL SCHOOL

8 Votes
Default_avatar

Please STOP suggesting to “make Parkside traditional”. That would kick out almost 200 kids. Where would the 200 go in order to accommodate summer vacations for Parkside families? So, Parkside opening as Traditional should remain off the table. Instead, let's agree that "OK, Parkside will open year-round, can something be done to provide a closer alternative for families that do NOT want to attend their near-by base school due to their family calendar preferences?

3 Votes
Default_avatar

You’re not kicking out YR students - you are allowing them to make a choice of 3-4 YR schools within 5 miles of their home WITH Transportation. If you make Parkside YR you are kicking out hundreds more students and giving them the decision to let WCPSS transport their 5-ye old 30/40 miles from home or taking transportatjon away altogether and imposing unnecessary hardships on families. Your neighborhood drives less than a mile past Parkside to get to Carpenter. Less than a mile compared to 30/40 miles is no comparison.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

James, I have no problem with summer vacations...but family vacations aren't a pillar for allocating scarce taxpayer-funded resources. I’m not a fan of kicking 198 kids out of Parkside in order to make it traditional to accommodate lengthy summer vacations for some families. Proximity is a pillar and folks assigned to Parkside get proximity for THEIR BASE SCHOOL. However, WCPSS doesn’t have enough schools to make calendar choice a pillar. I hope there is a way WCPSS can offer a closer alternative for Traditional calendar for folks that want calendar instead of the proximity to Parkside. There is an underlying resource and political issue. Personally, as a tax payer, I would vote for a State school bond referendum (if there was one) and I will also vote for the $1/2 billion Wake school bond referendum. In fact, I wish Wake would accelerate and increase the other planned Wake school bond referendum.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
James Barnard about 1 month ago

Steve, What is your problem if parents want to take summer vacations? The only thing they are asking is traditional school which is nearby and I believe WCPSS board should reconsider that. Proximity is one of the pillar and which WCPSS board did not take into account when they assigned school which is 20 - 23 miles away. If they cannot provide any nearby traditional school then they should reconsider opening Parkside Elementary as Traditional or converting Alston Ridge Elementary as Traditional.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Do we have to register at Parkside if we have been reassigned and will we continue on the same track? Thanks.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Why is the moderator not answering questions for those in support of traditional or better options?? Matt Dess you are aware by not answering our questions your decision has been made. This is only showing that you are partial to the year round compared to traditional. I see legal issues hear due to safety concerns and asking 3rd party companies to bus the children and charge these traditional families for bus service and a membership at the YMCA when they are already paying taxes. This is poorly planned and media attention is needed as I have not seen any response to the serious questions. My question to the year round parents how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot?

8 Votes
Default_avatar

The moderator (Matt Dess) is not answering because his job is outsourced to a certain individual who isn't even impacted in the conflict -:)

8 Votes
Default_avatar

Ugh Thank You Raj

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Ron. We posted this FAQ yesterday, which attempted to answer the main questions from this and other threads. You can find the Google doc and a PDF version here. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30658 We addressed the concern of many regarding a traditional calendar option in the FAQ:

Why can’t I have the option to attend a traditional calendar application school nearby?

There simply isn't enough room in traditional calendar schools in this area of the county to fit all the students who want to attend. Schools such as Cedar Fork Elementary, Hortons Creek Elementary, Green Hope Elementary, Weatherstone Elementary, Mills Park Elementary and Middle and Davis Drive Elementary and Middle are closed to transfers, meaning any student applying to attend from outside the base will be denied. http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/transferStatus/index.php This is why we have offered the option of Powell Magnet Elementary School for parents who want a traditional calendar application school. While we realize this isn’t the closest application school, we will offer transportation to and from the school. We invite parents to learn more about Powell and its one-of-a-kind magnet theme, aimed at producing students who have a deep understanding of what they’re learning. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/36659

Many of the other questions appear rhetorical and will be reviewed by our student assignment staff and board members as feedback. I'm attempting to answer clarifying questions about the Draft 1 proposal. Please let me know what questions of that nature you would like answered and I will try to address.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Matt, if the traditional schools nearby doesn't have enough room and if the demand for traditional school is more then Parkside Valley Elementary school should be opened as Traditional. The WCPSS board is removing the traditional school option we currently have and giving it to some other neighborhood. First we got changed from Cedar Fork to Weatherstone, then from Weatherstone to Horton Creek and now from Horton Creek to Powell Elementary which is 20 miles away. The board just completely ignored the proximity or maybe did it on purpose.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Rhetorical?? Your making us pay out of pocket for a service that we pay taxes for?? Shipping children 23 miles away and over an hour ride each way? What about their safety, are you folks paying for the busing and the YMCA? You have already moved my children two times and this will be a third?? There are important questions here regarding the safety of our Children and all you do is answer our questions with another question. There are lawsuits opening up elsewhere in wake county for the same issue, there is a petition already with over 300 signatures to make parkside traditional and was it not stated that when the funding did pass for Parkside that it was slated for traditional but you all changed the rules after you got your money without consideration f the consequences. All I wanted was a better alternative now I want Parkside to be Traditional.

9 Votes

Default_avatar

Here is more information about express bus stops, which are used by many magnet schools. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/35214

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Ron. Rhetorical doesn't mean bad. Just means questions that I can't really answer. But they are points of consideration for the board and staff members to consider as they work toward a second draft and ultimately the final plan.

Just to be clear, no one is being assigned to Powell under Draft 1. We are offering it as an option for those who prefer traditional calendar. As we have tried to explain, there are no available seats in the area for traditional calendar application students. We are working with the YMCA to serve as an express bus stop. Transportation of course would be provided free of charge. Under this proposal, parents who would wish to pick up their child when the bus dropped them off at the Y would be able to do so. Those who would need childcare in the afternoons could arrange that with the YMCA, the same as YMCA-provided aftercare on school sites. We are hearing the feedback from you and all those who would prefer that Parkside open as traditional. Draft 1 proposes that it open as year-round because that would allow the school to accommodate 200 more students in a rapidly growing area. But, again, this is just a proposal at this point, and staff and board members are reviewing and considering all feedback. Hope this helps.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

If Parkside opens Trafitional - what is the PROXIMITY of the school where the 200 students would be given? .5 miles? 1 mile? 2 miles? ... or would it be 20/30 miles like the Traditional option being offered? How are the 2% of people being affected helping you make these decisions (or who don’t even have children in the WCPSS system) ?

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Matt, you have made it clear that you are indeed offering Powell for those who CANNOT do year round and have never attended a year-round school. These are your words “We are offering it as an option for those who prefer traditional calendar.” Offering Prefer?? There are many who cannot do year round for many reasons and other communities with better “Offers”. We are a diverse culture and have never heard of year-round. You are forcing families that have the need for Traditional schools to take the year-round option. Your projected numbers show this and are based on families like myself who are being forced to switch. We do not have the option to do year round as many other families. You have proven that year round is the only way to go or be forced out with no accommodations to an alternative school. You have made these decisions without proximity in mind. What if my child has an accident at school? Will I be forced to make them wait over an hour to reach them and then another hour back to their healthcare provider? Now how do I pick them up from the Y?? My wife works from home and I am onsite at the office. Now we have to take time away from work and drive 5 miles in this Morrisville traffic to pick up our kids? I speak for many on this same issue. I have spoken to many families from around the communities that have told us they were forced to do year round as there was no alternative? Funny as one lives down the street from us and was not allowed to go to Hortons where my children attend but had to go to Alston ridge. Now as far as accommodating 200 children are these the 200 children that you are planning to force to go year-round on your projected numbers? Have you seen the petition that’s out there? It has over three hundred signatures from parents that are being forced to be relocated and demanding Parkside be Traditional or find schools within local proximity to the community. I was one of the parents that wanted to stay in Hortons which is only 1.6 miles away from my home but this poor planning has upset us and the community. If I do remember correctly the only reason you received the budget was because the school board promised this was to be a traditional school?? Look all I want is a better alternative to Traditional schools as I see a strong demand for it still. This is what the communities want but we are not being provided with anything good as you are all too focused on year-round school

5 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Ron. I understand all the points you are making. I should clarify that I work in our communications department. I am not a decision maker but am trying to provide clarifying information as I can. Student assignment office staff and board members monitor this site regularly and use parent feedback in formulating the final plan.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Stefanie Reed about 1 month ago

Given all the growth on this side of town, I am happy that Parkside Elementary is opening on a year round calendar. Every neighborhood deserves a proximate base school no matter what the calendar is.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Matt Dees ...Please note Kitts Creek is not assigned to Parkside Valley EL

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Correct Vidya, Since Parkside Elem will be walking distance from you, Kitts Creek will get a base assignment to your old base school -- Alston Ridge Elem. However, if Parkside opens on traditional, it kicks out 200 kicks and causes overcrowding at numerous schools.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees You said there are no Traditional seat nearby . It's only logical to open Parkside Valley as Traditional ,,,,MAKE PARKSIDE VALLEY ELEMENTARY TRADITIONAL !!!

8 Votes
Default_avatar

IF Parkside Elem opens Traditional, what happens to the almost 200 kids that you want to kick out?

4 Votes

Default_avatar

WCPSS Board the 20 mile far school is definitely not acceptable. In your next board meeting think about proximity and assign us nearby traditional schools. Open Parkside Elementary as Traditional school or convert Alston Ridge Elementary as suggested above to traditional or assign us to Horton Creek / Green Hope Elementary.

9 Votes

Default_avatar

I keep seeing the suggestion come up that since there are no more seats in traditional schools nearby, Parkside as a traditional school.

I would instead like to point out that the real issue is not lack of traditional seats, it is the lack of enough seats period, compared to how many students are projected.

In the current draft, WCPSS seems to do a pretty good job of getting most everyone getting a base school seat (regardless of calendar) that is somewhat proximate to their home.

I support this approach. Let's get every child in western Wake a seat in a base school proximate to their home first (regardless of calendar) and then look into calendar choice proximity as a lesser priority.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

What is the traditional school option assigned to Kitts Creek residents? Is it Powell Elementary which is 20 miles away?

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Why is Kitts Creek not fighting to keep East Cary Middle as Year round? Isn't that your base school currently?

5 Votes

Default_avatar

Raj and James, thank you for your response.

First off do note I am not speaking for any neighborhood and only expressing my opinions. And also my intention is not to "troll" the forum, just express my opinion. Ultimately the decision lies with the school board.

As to address your questions directed at me, according to draft 1 Kitts Creek would be assigned to West Cary. But you bring up the point about traditional school option being 20 miles away. Note that in my comment I am talking specifically about BASE, and you are talking about OPTION. For OPTIONAL schools your family can CHOOSE not to take the OPTION. But not choosing the option, you will still end up at a school that is proximate.

James, I do not speak for Kitts Creek so I cannot answer your question. Today ECMS is the BASE (NOT Calendar option) for Kitts Creek, that is true.

Now speaking again strictly for myself (not Kitts Creek) I do support keeping East Cary YR simply because there are no other YR schools in that part of the Cary and as I stated above, I support proximate BASE schools. However, as growth has not been as rapid there, I can see the logic in making it traditional as well.

I hope both of you see that I am consistent in my position regardless of neighborhood.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

I fail to understand why Kitts Creek residents want Parkside Elementary as year round school when they are assigned Alston Ridge Elementary?

7 Votes
Default_avatar

I have the same question. They are NOT assigned to Parkside nor impacted by it .But it look like they need a thread to troll . They're petitioned for Alston Ridge Middle to be YR and to be assigned to it . They got what they wanted and not they can not handle the rebuttal from West Cary .So they're leaving that thread and trolling here ....all in the effort to be relevant I suppose ...I have no other explanation

7 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Vidya and Praj:

Thank you for your response. My intention is not to "troll" and I am sorry if somehow my opinion came off as "trolling".

First off I would like to again specify I am speaking for myself and not Kitts Creek.

Second, I am just expressing my preference that all students should get a proximate BASE school first before looking at OPTIONAL choices.

I think you may have missed that distinction when reading my comments.

To me the distinction between BASE and OPTIONAL are critical in this case.

In a BASE school you MUST attend that school if your requests for transfer are all denied.

I believe that every child should have a proximate school in this case as first priority. Hence, I voiced my opposition to having Parkside as a traditional school. If Parkside is traditional there will be 200 BASE students who will be left out. So in that sense, I am indirectly impacted by this decision and chose to voice my opinion. I too am a member of this community and will be impacted as 200 more kids will need to fit somewhere.

Now consider OPTIONAL calendar schools. The key here is that attendance in the OPTIONAL school is a CHOICE. Your family has the CHOICE not to take the option.

Also, I want to point out we are both in agreement that Powell ES 20 miles away is a silly option.

I am assuming you are in Breckenridge (and apologies if you are not) and will use that neighborhood as an example. Should someone from Breckenridge want to go to traditional but there are no reasonable paths (again I agree Powell is not a reasonable option), then worst case, they are still getting a great education from a brand new school right in the neighborhood.

I just want all kids to have this luxury of proximate schools as the BASE. And I cannot support kicking 200 students out of a proximate BASE school to satisfy a CHOICE.

Finally, Vidya and Praj, I do appreciate your advocacy in trying to get other traditional options on the table. And I am sure WCPSS is also listening carefully and will consider your feedback while working on the next draft.

I am sure through such dialog and partnership, we will have a plan that will be in the best interests of all of Wake county.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

WCPSS aims to have YR elementary schools enrolled at 120% . Parkside will open at 96% and in just 2 years decrease to 93%. That means that the school will be underutilized by 24% in 2019 and 27% in 2021. Someone above pointed out , if the school is open yr , it will save 44 Million dollars. The YR capacity is 834 , 198 students more. So it will save 44 million just to hold 198 more , which makes it $222,222.22 per child .So if that same child is sent to a traditional school , Now PSV will be open at 93% which is 800. So essentially 7.5 million will be wasted .But since WCPSS aims for 120% enrollment.that means that the school will be under enrolled by 201 seats. That is wcpss is wasting 44.67 million dollars . If the school is open at traditional , the projected enrollment is 967 , servicing 330 children . That means 330 more children will opt to go to the school ...happy kids>happy school>happy>society>happy nation. Again as a tax payer , I'd rather have money spent on a school that is maximizing resources and then some rather than a school that is wasting money .Hortons Creek was built using the same prototype and if over 900 can be enrolled there and the same can happen at Parkside .I have never seen a child sitting on the floor nor hall ways ,I older one attended nothing but capped schools ;Cedar Fork,Mills Park Middle and nor Panther Creek . There is a seat for every child .The over crowed and capped schools are the highest performing schools in the county . So I am yet to see the disadvantages

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Vidya, Please go back to math class. According to WCPSS, https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3925?pid=180 , excluding land, Parkside Elem costs $38 million in construction costs. Year-round handles 198 more students than traditional. Opening year-round maximizes the investment in the $38 million. Opening year-round is fiscally responsible. Opening year-round saves 30% of the cost of a new school. (Excluding land, about $11 million.) So, opening Parkside on a Traditional calendar wastes $11 million. Besides, if Parkside opens Traditional what happens to the 198 kids that are locked out?

3 Votes
Default_avatar

I am not going to feed the trolls ...take your bullying elsewhere .

10 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi everyone:

I just had this crazy thought when reading these comments - I have no research or experience to even back this up if it is even practical.

It seems the big complaint here is that Parkside parents do not have a proximate traditional school option, and track 4 is pretty close to traditional.

Can the parents who absolutely need/ or have a very strong preference apply for "track 4" just like they would normally apply for a traditional school. Then WCPSS can use same criteria for "granting" track 4 like they do for a transfer?

This can be a stopgap until infrastructure catches up.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

This is where experience and knowledge come into play . I have been living here for over 14 years . I have extensive knowledge for of YR works.Tracks are NOT guaranteed . Again , I do not know how to make you under stand .YR may work for you .It does not work for everyone else .Lets see how well YR works for you when one of your kids to go high school or go to middle school and are on a different track from the one in elementary school . You have no business telling us what will work for us . You do not know people's situation . Having a "strong preference" is not a criteria for awarding tracks and guarantees nothing . I really wish you would stop telling us what you think would be good for us .We are quite capable of doing so ourselves. ..I know I sound harsh but you have gone too far .

6 Votes
Default_avatar

Prateek, You say your intention is not to troll and just express your crappy opinion. On the Alston Ridge Middle school comment forum, you have made only 1 comment so far and 0 comments on East cary Middle school even though Kitts Creek is directly affected by those changes. Some people here who are not impacted and still comment here in favor for Year Round is because they run TRACK OUT CAMPS. If the school is opened Traditional they don't get the business every 9 weeks.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
W Cary Resident about 1 month ago

With the rapid growth in this part of the county, it is unconscionable to open a new school with fewer seats than it can hold. If PE is made a traditional school, that would displace around 200 students to other schools in the area; those in turn may be capped leading to these kids bused far away. It is not about whether there is a particular calendar option available at reasonable proximity; rather, it is about whether there is any school at all at reasonable proximity that serves as a base school.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Dimitra Sakellaris about 1 month ago

Last year, my kid, as many other Traditional ES kids in the area, was moved from Weatherstone ES to Hortons Creek ES. Next year, she will be moved again to a good school, but 20 miles away! This option is unacceptable. Every kid has the right to attend a school at reasonable proximity no matter if it is a base year-round or an optional traditional school!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Mohan Rao about 1 month ago

Parkside Valley NEEDS to open as a Traditional Calendar school . There is a severe shortage of Traditional Calendar seat in Western Wake . There are plenty of Year Round schools this part of the county .There is Morrisvile ES, Carpenter ES, Alston Ridge ES and now Parkside Valley all within three mile radius . WE NEED MORE TRADITIONAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS .Do the right thing and open the school as TRADITIONAL.

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Leigh Silverstein about 1 month ago

I truly appreciate WCPSS promoting the pillar of proximity and assigning neighborhoods to schools that are closer. Choosing year-round might not be the most popular calendar choice for some, but it services many and allows those children more time in their day to spend with family, extra curricular activities, and just being kids. For those that calendar is the priority, this draft gives them that option albeit a little further away. I support the choices made in Draft #1 and vote they stay. Thank you WCPSS and Glenn and his team!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Mohammed Vikar about 1 month ago

Even though the change in the assignment of the school has been proposed and school not being far, It is sad to hear about this change. Lots of the kids are being used to Traditional school pattern and moreover, the families have been planning on many things based on the school year, this brings a huge change for all of it. Would support this initiative of raising voice to provide a Tradition school closer to this and surrounding communities. Would request WCPSS to consider our requests and take action accordingly.

6 Votes

Default_avatar

Sending kid 20 miles is not an option..please make parkside as traditional or provide closer traditional school.

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Nandini Gopinath about 1 month ago

Park side being YR will accommodate more students which is very necessary in such high growth area. Proximity to home is what is needed to avoid long commutes.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Please note that Kitts Creek is not assigned to Parkside

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Naseer Baig about 1 month ago

Since there is no traditional school assigned in the area, please make Parkside Elementary school as traditional school and not year round.

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Sudhir Subramanian about 1 month ago

Families preferring traditional options in Morrisville must not be ignored!!! Sending kids to Powell Elementary completely discounts the "Proximity" pillar of school assignment decision(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8uS6PIw9w).

1. Sending kids 20+ miles away one-way robs quality time that can be better used for the child's enrichment/ overall development through after-school & extracurricular activities. The proposed traditional assignment forced upon our community (Providence Place) and other neighboring communities would require 2+ hours of a 5-10 year old child's time spent travelling every day (considering the very busy traffic in RTP, Morrisville and Raleigh area).

2. Lack of proximity school (traditional option here) act as a big deterrent to parental involvement in school activities and initiatives (a lot more important for elementary & middle school kids).

3. The current school assignment is heavily lop-sided against families preferring traditional options and it is hard to understand why this option is being forced upon us by the board as the only option especially when there are several other traditional elementary schools in the proximity (including the ones where our kids are currently assigned)

There are lots of valid points covered in this discussion by several parents and I strongly support and second them. Please, please ... re-consider the traditional school assignment plan for Providence Place and other affected communities in the area.

If making Parkside Elementary as traditional school is the only viable option to address our concerns, I strongly support it ...

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Gopala Dandu about 1 month ago

Please change Parkside to traditional or give closer and better option than Powell.. It is simply ridiculous to see the proposed draft with no sensible traditional option for the community..Forcing kids to travel 40 miles every day in peak traffic and also kind of forcing to use magnet and to pick/drop at YMCA while other close by communities have 2 close traditional options does not add up at all.. Please review and make changes.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

Have noticed a few comments on here that verge on personal attacks. Please limit your comments to your own personal feelings about the proposal and refrain from criticizing others.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Matt, you can see there are one or two people who are doing that. I hope you have some rules where they are given some heads up on doing it again....

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Vishwanath Patil about 1 month ago

WCPSS, Thank you for opening up new school/s in the area to accommodate more students in the area, however not at the cost of displacing the existing kids and families from their on going activities. WCPSS please understand that going to school is not just limited to school or academic activities but there is lot more going on before and after as well..if kid is travelling for 20+ miles for just school then by the time he/she gets home there is absolutely no energy or time left for other activities (including studies) which are equally important for child's development and growth. Please consider the proximity for a base traditional school as well ..I am in support of making Parkside Elementary as traditional school only!

15 Votes

Default_avatar
BW Rutledge about 1 month ago

I am a mom of a 6th grader at West Cary Middle and a 2nd grader at Alston Ridge Elementary School. We have been slated to move to the new schools (Alston Ridge Middle and Parkside Valley Elementary)

I know there has been a lot of debate about whether these schools should be a traditional calendar or year round calendar.

My request is that whatever decision is made, that it is consistent for Alston Ridge Middle and Parkside Valley Elementary. I.e. either they are both traditional or both year round.

My preference is that both schools be year round. That would allow some growing room. We are tired of getting moved around and having limited options because of overcrowding, so I think a year round approach makes the most sense.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Vinitha Cardoza about 1 month ago

Changing base schools is already a big change for elementary school children. To add to that moving from traditional to year-round is another change which can affect them adversely. The traditional option Powell ES does not in any angle justify the board’s decision. This is the only County that is trying to send children 20 miles away from their residence which is absolutely ridiculous. Why would be live in Morrisville if we have to bus our children to Raleigh? The whole purpose of living in Morrisville is lost. We chose neighborhoods school and not magnet schools for a purpose and WCPSS wants to change that? We do not want to put our children through the commute on I-40 everyday! No matter what we do not accept the board’s decision on giving us Powell as the traditional option. While all the others in the area have close by options only the students moved to Parkside have no space in close-by schools?? We do not buy that!! We need justice! I urge the board reconsider their decision and make either parkside traditional or let us continue in Cedar Fork.

16 Votes

Default_avatar
Swetha Reddy about 1 month ago

It is just so unfair for the kids to be hopping schools especially elementary kids.This would really affect them. My son currently is a 2nd grader at Cedar Fork ES, according to the new proposal will be moved to Parkside ES. The Traditional option for which the kid has to travel 40 miles a day is just ridiculous. Request the Board to make Parkside a Traditional or continue Cedar Fork as our base school.

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Venu Burri about 1 month ago

It is not acceptable for our kids to travel 20 miles to get to the school. It would impact their academics, extra curricular activites and family time. We did not choose a magnet school for this very reason and now we are forced to send them that far. Some folks might be happy with Parkside assigned as year-round but it might be very difficult for families that are used to Traditional calender. Make Parkside Traditional, and for families who prefer year-round designate Alston Ridge, Carpenter or Morrisville Elementary which are relatively closer.This would be a win-win situation for both.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Rishi ZA about 1 month ago

I am surprise by the fact how wake county and NC government works.I thought kids were everyone's top priority .Couple of question and points which I wanna make .

1. Why people from same neighborhood are assigned 4 different school. It should be a simple concept of 1 traditional and 1 YR school.

2. People in some communities have been assigned traditional school which is like 18-20 miles away where there are many schools in proximity which can be assigned unless the wake county is indirectly telling them we don't want you any traditional school where all other communities next to you have option for a traditional school in proximity .

3. Wake county is not treating all kids equally which should become a legal law suit .If wake county is having space issues why current traditional schools are not being converted to year round school Cedar Forks ,Green hope ,weatherstone etc covert all them to a YR school and you will have more school space .

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Sridhar Maradugu about 1 month ago

I have two kids and one in High school and other in GreenHope elementary. We want both kids to be in same calendar option. We live in providence place community and we were assigned year round school as base school and Power magnet school as Traditional option. This school is 18 miles from my home and my daughter has to sit in the bus for 2 hours every day. This is not fair. We have so many elementary schools in proximity and they are not assigned as an option for us. What is the basis for this new plan ? Why some communities are getting local elementary school options and some not .. This is not fair. You must provide a local traditional school option for every community. You are discriminating the kids.

9 Votes

Bootstrap_10160737014865632
Anusha Gopalakrishnan about 1 month ago

Please reconsider giving Providence place and other nearby affected area residents a traditional school assignment plan. Among WCPSS 4 pillars: 1) Student achievement: Trying to keep the children to their assigned school till their exit grade: 2) Proximity: Send children to schools within a reasonable distance.

• When you send a child over 10-15 miles away, they spend majority of their time traveling, especially at the tender age of 5-10 years. This is the prime time that can be used to improve the child’s development through extracurricular activities.

• It also removes the parent’s involvement in their children’s school activities. Currently, I am involved in the schools PTA. Through this me and other parents share a commitment to improving the education, health, and safety of all children.

• Whether it is art, music, literacy or enriching cultural art assemblies as well as the benefits of all the other enhancement programs, this option was available to me due to the proximity of the school.

• Last year, we have attended several of the school related activities for my child from “meeting the teacher every quarter, attending International day and several other occasions. Had the distance of the school been even a few miles further, this would have deterred any such opportunity in our presence.

I standby some of the valid points made by several other parents in the above discussion. Please give us our traditional school option in a school within reasonable distance.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Ritu Raj about 1 month ago

Please consider changing Parkside Elementary to traditional rather than year round(for Providence Place), we have enough year round and better proximity than traditional schools. We shouldn’t be forced to use YR rather than we should be given an option to use Green Hope elementary, Cedar fork traditional, Weatherstone elementary if we can't make Parkside Elementary as traditional. My elder son who is 2nd grader goes to Weatherstone Elemantary and we love it as it is not that far away. We also want our younger one to be in Weatherstone Elemantary who starts next year rather than being forced to Year Round. If not we should still be assigned to Green Hope Elementary and other traditional schools which are closer than Powel School.

We need more traditional than year round in our area and with better proximity. So why should parents and kids with traditional options be left out and face issues? We invested in this area due to traditional school options and now forced with year round and that is not fair.

There are lot of issues with year round we face. No bonding between friends and family as kids are generally in different track outs. We can’t plan a longer vacations as we go out of country to visit our families and there won’t be any family bonding. Don’t like the way to keep kids study 6 weeks and then rest 3 weeks, it is loss of concentration and start from scratch. Not an easy task when kids are different tracks and or year round and traditional. We all are working parents and we just can't keep standing at bus stops twice a day for different buses from different schools. We all know buses don't arrive at same time. They can't be 15-30 minutes apart which just take an hour away.

If we have to go far away(hour away) then kids won't have time to do extra curricular activities after school. I also agree with other points raised in favor of TRADITIONAL School.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Chaitanya Godbole about 1 month ago

Please make Parkside ES as TRADITIONAL option & please please please make sure that Providence Place community kids do get assigned to it.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Atul Mene about 1 month ago

First of all thanks to all Board Members for coming up with strategic vision that support community needs. We welcome Parkside Elementary School in our town. But, at the same time here are some concerns & few recommendations / considerations to reduce distraction and allow us to maintain family/work/life balance in the community.

Why Traditional and not Year Round: 1. Every time there is track out or vacation it takes at least week or two for kids to get in routine and in year round every 9 weeks, 3 weeks break means in a year they need to adjust that 4 times which is not really healthy. 2. Elementary, Middle School & High School all have different calendar options & different tracks within Wake county itself and there is no common vacation schedule that family can build for family activities. 3. Year round trackout means if we have family, friends outside wake county we won't be able to plan any family events/activities with them as no other county, state within country or world has such setup. 4. For some families it's financially non-affordable to find options every 9 weeks for their kids to be kept busy as other kids in family may not have same schedule across different grades.

Why not Powell Elementary: 1. It's 23 miles away from our neighborhood and with multiple bus stops & rush hour traffic kids will be on bus for close to 3 hours every single day. Which is too hectic for them. 2. Part of our kids & school success is parent involvement in the school as volunteers and it will limit us from doing any volunteering due to distance & time it will take. 3. If our kids have any health or any other emergency it's difficult to reach in timely manner to school. 4. Because kids will be coming home so late almost they will have no energy to study, do home work or do any other curricular activities which means we are discouraging kids from learning. 5. It's unsafe to send kids who would travel on highways and that far every day. 6. Especially for Elementary School age, 23 miles away school assignment is just boosting kids interest down from education with such hectic schedule.

Having said that TRADITIONAL within PROXIMITY is what we request, what we need.

1. Offer BASE school within proximity with same calendar option as they have today. That way parents can make decision of sending to Year Round vs Traditional based on their own needs & wants rather than county forcing them to pick calendar option.

2. If we say we have no Traditional seats available in Morrisville area. Currently in Morrisville within 3 mile radius there are 3 Year round but only 2 traditional schools. So, open Parkside Elementary as Traditional School. And have equal opportunity to pick appropriate calendar option.

3. There are many proposed schools on the border of Wake county where it's growing whereas in Morrisville we have grown already and need additional schools. So, add additional schools for managing upcoming growth instead of proposing Parkside as Yearround school.

4. If we must keep Parkside Elementary School as Year round change track schedules to be continuous education so when school year begins our kids are focused on studies & when school year ends they can fully enjoy time off.

Which means Track 1 starts like Traditional in Sep and ends in Jun. Track 2 starts in Dec and ends in Sep, Track 3 starts in Mar and ends in Dec and Track 4 starts in Jun and ends in Mar with one week Christmas, Spring, Summer & Fall break respectively during school year within respective track & full vacation during trackout. Ensure in this scenario kids from same family go to same track across different grades in different school (Elementary, Middle & High School) so family has proper family life balance.

WE WANT TRADITIONAL SCHOOL IN PROXIMITY as our BASE SCHOOL where admission is guaranteed and we don't have to apply and see if we can get in to Traditional school as our application school !!!!

We appreciate all the re-work, re-thinking that Board has to do. But, we have full trust in Board that they will make choices not just to satisfy us because we ask for. But, what's right for community, our country, society and most important kids within our community. And that's possible with more TRADITIONAL SCHOOL(s) within PROXIMITY !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

19 Votes
Default_avatar
Sudhir Subramanian about 1 month ago

Excellently put down Atul. (.... Big thumbs up) I am sure this resonates with majority (if not all parents) in the neighborhood. Very creative suggestions to balance resource utilization, proximity and community needs. I trust the school board will take all our suggestions in consideration and do what is best for kids in our communities.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

EXCELLENT,BRILLIANT !! There is a need for Traditional seats..open new schools as traditional to supply the deficit

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Rupali Tayal about 1 month ago

Thank you to WCPSS Board for taking parents’ feedback on Draft 1. I want to resound what so many other parents are saying that we want TRADITIONAL calendar base close to our homes(Providence Place). According to Draft 1, to keep traditional calendar our elementary students are forced to go to Powell Magner, which is 1- 1.5 hour drive one-way. Similarly for middle school, West Cary MS is being put as 'transfer application', which are usually granted on 'hardship' basis - very subjective and vague, and usually denied to parents. There HAS TO BE 1 traditional base and 1 Year round base. LET the families choose what works best for them. We CANNOT be penalized for Town/City’s approval of new development without consideration to basic needs such as School.

11 Votes

Default_avatar

One potential solution to balance the needs of a growing county (especially NW Cary/Morrisville) and those of parents preferring a traditional calendar would be to open Parkside ES as a single track (Track 4) school. Track 4 aligns pretty closely with the traditional calendar. If the school appears to be in danger of getting capped, then multiple tracks may be introduced. Incidentally, this is how Alston Ridge Elementary progressed. This will also align well with Alston Ridge Middle being a year round school.

Given the explosive growth in the area and the history of capped schools, year round schools are perhaps the only option, given scarce resources. Mills Park comes to mind in this context; incidentally there were plans to make it year round, which I believe were vehemently opposed by parents in the school (please correct me if I am wring and I am sorry if so). The net result is that those schools have been capped for years. If only the capacity was increased by 33% then.

So whatever the solution, it simply cannot be a case of "I've got mine and I don't care about you". We have to work this out together with a spirit of what is best for everyone or at least for the largest number of people

4 Votes

Default_avatar

After hearing the presentation and questions at a BAC meeting, I want to express support for the plan to open Alston Ridge Middle and Parkside Elementary on a year-round multi-track calendar.

This maximizes the taxpayer’s investment in school construction and provides more capacity in a booming area. Parkside will accommodate about 200 more students using a Year-Round Multi Track calendar. Alston Ridge Middle will accommodate 300 more students using a Year-Round calendar. It is fiscally responsible to open these two schools on a Year-Round calendar.

Sadly, there are insufficient funds to build the number of schools needed to meet the four pillars AND every individual’s calendar preference. Nevertheless, for folks that don’t want to attend Parkside, I hope WCPSS can provide a closer traditional calendar alternative. However, please do not open Parkside on traditional calendar since that would kick out 200 kids. IF 200 kids are kicked-out of Parkside, that will have an unsustainable domino effect.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Steve, the 200 kids is a county projection for the next 5 years, right? If yes, then that projection can be wrong too. So far that projection has been wrong in cases of Year Round schools and that's the reason East Cary Middle is getting converted back to traditional, Highcroft Drive Elementary got converted to traditional (2 years back), Carpenter Elementary did not reach the full capacity until last year, Alston Ridge Elementary has still not reached full capacity and if I remember correctly WCPSS was planning to convert Alston Ridge Elementary to traditional calendar last year, but then dropped the plan. My understanding is that there are seats available in other nearby year round schools and those kids can be accomodated in those schools. I personally feel that WCPSS should provide nearyby school options whether it is traditional or year round. People opt for traditional because they know what is good for their family and vice versa. Busing 5 and 6 year old kids 64 miles daily (both ways) is absurd. Even we adults hate driving long distances for work and on top of that traffic on I-40.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

A YR school has higher capacity. So a YR school will not (should not) reach capacity by design. Alston Ridge Elementary is not at capacity now, but a significant portion of ARE students were moved to Horton's Creek Elementary just over a year ago.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

James, IF Parkside opens traditional, the capacity would immediately be 200 less (i.e. in 2019-2020.) Unfortunately, if the 200 are kicked-out, as noted in the WCPSS slides, there are NOT additional seats in nearby schools. Also, unfortunately, while proximity (for base school) is a pillar, calendar choice is not a pillar. I do agree with you that for folks that do not want to attend their near-by base school (even though it might even be in walking distance,) WCPSS should try to provide a closer alternative than Powell. So, yes, Powell seems absurd. (The General Assembly not allowing a state-wide school bond referendum also seems absurd.) To take this full circle, the notion that Powell was identified as the alternative in the first draft highlights the lack of WCPSS school capacity in our booming area.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
shradha satpute about 1 month ago

Having a 5 year old spend 2 hours on a bus on a busy highway is beyond ridiculous! These are little kids we are talking about..even adults hate driving that long distances. On one hand I have my current school proposing to reduce homework so kids have time to play and guess what the board is planning to bus my child 2 hrs away every single day. Please have a much closer option for parents who want to send their kids to a Traditional school...I am sure if you think a lot more creatively than you currently did picturing these little kids on those buses you will come up with a much sensible solution.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

If the city is growing and 65 people are added each day to RTP.. we need new schools at some time. Horton creek which opened last year shld had been made year round too and other schools too shld be converted as that will be the demand going forward.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sandeep Agarwal about 1 month ago

Its good to see new schools coming up. We had stayed in Bexley Park only due to Cedar fork and are moving to a new house near Cedar Fork being the traditional school. The change should give parents and students an option of year round and traditional close by not 20 miles away which is not feasible for kids and parents. Parkside year round is a good move but we need a traditional school as well in vicinity and we cannot send kids ~20 miles. This is really sad. I would request WCPSS to consider keeping Cedar Fork as traditional school for existing students and Parkside to be a year round or make park side a traditional school instead. Hope WCPSS can help all the parents. Please note folks who have rented apartments and bought houses paying premium are now at risk from many aspects. Please help us all.

3 Votes

Bootstrap_10156198427389900
Jenn Lewis about 1 month ago

I suppose my comment belongs under Parkside elementary since the reason our neighborhood was shifted to a different school is because everything shifted in order to fill the new school. My concern is that our neighborhood (Ridgemont) is being reassigned from Morrisville Elementary to Carpenter Elementary. The neighborhood directly across Morrisville Carpenter is being switched from Carpenter to Morrisville. I just have a hard time seeing the sense in this change for both sets of kids aside from making the map look prettier. We've been at Morrisville for going on 6 years between our two kids, but the younger one will be going into fourth grade, and his brother is moving on to middle school so currently it doesn't appear it can be grandfathered. I would request that the existing students in our neighborhood be grandfathered (I believe there is a total of 5 with one of those being a family who has a 5th grader for 2019 who will allow his younger sibling to be grandfathered for another year anyway)

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kian Kiani about 1 month ago

Morrisville is such a diverse community many of the families have relative outside of the country. Only a traditional school calendar would allow them to travel abroad to see their relatives. This fact should have been considered even though it does not really apply to me. There has to be an option to choose a nearby traditional school of Parkside is used as a year-round.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Kian Kiani about 1 month ago

It is not fair for a 5-6 years old to spend 1- 1:30 hour a day in a bus to go a Traditional School. It is beyond imagination!

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Kapil Sharma about 1 month ago

Thanks for opening additional schools in the area but we would prefer having a traditional school. It makes no sense to have a 5-8 years old kid travel 40miles a day for school. Please consider converting this school into Traditional school or allow us near by traditional school.

6 Votes

Default_avatar

Please DO NOT ask Cedar Fork Traditional School to go YEAR ROUND school - This is NOT FAIR Please DO NOT ask Cedar Fork Traditional School Kids to go another Traditional School which is 23 miles away one way - This will 100s of kids life MISERABLE not just for a day or a week, this will be for years If the two requests can not be met, please KEEP THE CEDAR FORK KIDS IN CEDAR FORK

We absolutely respect those parents who want to send their kids to Year Round School. We are requesting to reciprocate the same to parents who wants to send their kids to Traditional school Cedar fork kids needs to go to a CLOSE BY TRADITIONAL SCHOOL OR STAY IN CEDAR FORK SCHOOL.

6 Votes

Default_avatar

We have answered some frequently asked questions. Please read and share feedback. https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/2019-20-student-enrollment-proposal/topics/draft-2-faq-2

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Guri Burmi 27 days ago

Matt. I would like to convey to WCPSS that majority of the people posting on this forum and supporting the year round option for Parkside Elementary are people who either do NOT have kids going to WCPSS or are not affected by Parkside becoming a Yr Round option since their kids and community has been assigned an alternate school. If there was a way for you to poll the parents of children actually assigned to Parkside Elem you would realize that majority of them do NOT prefer the Year Round option.

21 Votes
Default_avatar
Wendy Alexander 16 days ago

Excellent observations Guri. Trusting WCPSS will hear the majority and open Parkside as TRADITIONAL.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Suman Gopalpet 25 days ago

This is a great idea, why cant the board take a poll of all of families that are assigned to Parkside Elem to see which option they would prefer.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone 17 days ago

Thank you Mr Burmi for your post! I noticed Matt did not reply to you. See my post below from tonight (Oct 4th), it has some proof of what a particular neighborhood is doing.

15 Votes

Default_avatar
Srinivasa Dandepally 17 days ago

Agree with Guri. The majority here supporting for Park side ES for YR are not even assigned to that school. Its very bad and irresponsible on their part...

10 Votes

Default_avatar
Ritu Raj 28 days ago

I don’t think even draft 2 take cares of needs of traditional schools families. Our kids are still forced to travel more than 1 hour each way. Being a high tax payer I choose this area and we should be given school in our area and not forced out. We paid high taxes to be sent to other area? This is not acceptable. If you can’t make Parkside elementary traditional then we should be given a choice to use traditional schools which are closer to us.

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Chaitanya Godbole 25 days ago

Please make Parkside ES as a TRADITIONAL calendar school & make it the base traditional school for PP. Or make Cedar Fork ES as base traditional school for PP.

Anything else is not good enough to address our concerns. We need a proximate, good traditional calendar school with transportation to be assigned as base traditional school for ALL of Providence Place.

Carpenter ES which is YR is still a good option for PP residents who want YR schools & so make Parkside ES as Traditional.

Sending kids from PP (busing or otherwise) all the way to Powell is simply & truly absurd, ridiculous & totally unacceptable.

14 Votes

Default_avatar

To keep it simple ..WCPSS if you are giving us (Providence Place Community) Year round school which is about 2 miles away, give us an Traditional school option which is about 2 miles away, why are you sending us 23 miles away for Traditional schools

14 Votes

Default_avatar

@WCPSS , @WCPSSTeam - Dear WCPSS Board, Please open Parkside Elementary as Traditional Calendar, or give us Cedar Fork as base Traditional option for Providence Place. Assigned traditional options are 23 miles away for Providence Place kids.

14 Votes

Default_avatar
Ram Rimal 22 days ago

Make Parkside Traditional. No more reasons needed if you want to act on.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Sudhir Subramanian 19 days ago

@Matt Dees/ @WCPSS:

A few additional points on why many families prefer traditional or a more balanced calendar. The focus in purely on what works best for kids and every parent (who are rightfully and heavily invested in their kids education and future) should have the option to pick what works best for their kids.

• In the WCPSS MultiTrack YR: Kids will have "just" a 1 week break between grades (especially Tracks 2 and 3): Not the best for many kids between grades. No cool off times especially as academic demands increase from one grade to another.

• YR Multi-track in Wake County does not seem to have any visible data to support what works best for kids and not just justify "being fiscally responsible" when compared to the real yardstick on "student performance". Does Wake County have any meaningful statistics/ metrics covering student performance (test scores, etc.) (Elementary, Middle School) for

• Traditional
    • YR Track 1
    • YR Track 2
    • YR Track 3
    • YR Track 4
  • YR schools are meant to help students by reducing "summer slide"/ "learning loss". However, research and data from National Institute of Year Round Education (NAYRE) - proposes a balanced calendar for best results for school kids ( http://www.nayre.org/calendars.html) - certainly not the YR Multi-track one that WCPSS currently has. Balanced Calendar emphasizes on only a Single Track with 6 week summer break and smaller breaks in between allowing for intervention programs to help students who need extra help - All this costs money to the school but when it is for kids, it is totally justified. Multi Track YR with primary purpose of using school premises year round are not the ones that works best for kids unless backed up with significant past data and results.

The intention here is "not to start a debate" on which one is better. But both systems have its place and value for kids and families, with valid reasons for what works best for them. All we ask for is not to force one school type over the other and make it fair to all. I am sure if we take a poll of school preference type across Morrisville (or neighboring) area, the numbers will be more apparent and will urge to have a need for a balance across both preferences.

With a lot of pain and hope I write here hoping that we do get traditional schools in proximity with busing. And not force us in to the current YR system without any viable choice (the only viable and fair choice - good traditional options close by to our address with busing).

Whether, that can happen by opening Parkside as a Traditional calendar school or by allowing us to retain our current school assignment (with Cedar Fork) or give another traditional school in reasonable proximity (< 5 miles) with busing - is purely at the discretion of WCPSS.

And, we hope that as honest and hard working tax payers, it is not too much to ask.

Thanks

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 19 days ago

This public forum is for parents affected by proposed assignments related to Alston Ridge Middle School and Parkside Elementary School. This includes proposed assignment changes for the Cameron Pond neighborhood, as well as the proposal to open both the new schools on a multi-track year-round calendar. Sign up to speak now - https://goo.gl/forms/15FRWFGV7gAYu0AB3 - or you may sign up in person prior to the meeting. Each speaker will have up to three minutes to share feedback with board members and staff. We will address questions in a follow-up FAQ that will be posted online within a week.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Unfortunately Matt, there are a lot of comments being made on this forum in favor of year round schools by folks that are NOT assigned to Parkside Elem (see my comment below from tonight, Oct 4th, with proof in the attachments)

16 Votes

Bootstrap_10154892401991466
Jeremy Merrill 17 days ago

While I don't have a student impacted by the decision, I do question why WCPSS is deviating from the facts they shared last year. It was this time last year that parents were requesting Buckhorn Creek Elementary be opened as a Year Round school specifically for the reasons state here - lack of seats, and high growth area. We were told that with the 2013 CIP Bond money that ALL new schools had to favor a traditional calendar as that was one of the "key parameters" for the bond. Now, a year later, WCPSS is completely ignoring their own statements (you can see them here - https://www.wcpss.net/cms/lib/NC01911451/Centricity/Domain/6073/Draft%202%20Oct%2026.pdf). Can you please explain how those statements no longer apply? It still seems as though WCPSS Staff is making this up as they go along, and not even following the rules they set out from year to year.
I'm thoroughly confused as I'm sure these families are as well.

22 Votes
Default_avatar
Vidya DassAkkisetty 17 days ago

We are very confused !! The 2013 CIP Bond also states , if a school is to open as a multi track YR calendar , public should be sought to measure the community's tolerance for these alternate schedules .The community and the neighborhoods assigned to Parkside , made it abundantly clear, that we want Parkside to be on a TRADITIONAL calendar

18 Votes

Default_avatar

Jeremy, thank you for posting your above comment. It is very disheartening that our Board of Ed members are giving residents the total opposite of what we are pleading for. I am so beyond frustrated and I really do not know how they are doing right by anyone with the constant breaking of promises made, and these promises are even in writing. We truly need to pool together and get a lawyer. This is the worst representation since I have lived here (14 years) and it just clearly does NOT make any sense whatsoever- SMH with much frustration.

21 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt Dees and BOE members, I feel honesty and fair play should be a top priority here, with ALL the comment Boards made available to the residents. Since the BOE is weighing these comments towards their ultimate decisions (and I am praying that if they do NOT see these comments that you, Matt, will have the decency to show them this one) they need to be aware of FOWL PLAY with the Kitt Creek neighborhood...from the beginning they have been the only ones with multiple comments on how they are so happy Parkside is opening as a year round school. They are NOT assigned to Parkside, they are assigned to Alston Ridge (a year round school). Well now, it has been brought to my attention that they are once again trying to tamper with Parkside Elem comments and meetings to throw the Board into believing that a majority of US are ok with year round when clearly we are NOT (whether Kitt Creek is achieving or not is not the issue - the issue is this is not right, what are they teaching their kids?) . I have attached proof of their scheming and beg of you to pass this on to the Board so that their comments should not weigh in on this, or any other, comment board that pertains to Parkside Elem. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in this matter. I cannot tell you how very steamed I am right now at this neighborhood - SHAME ON THEM (and Steve Lauderdale, who is supposedly running for Morrisville Commissioner, is a big part of this - UGH)

31 Votes
Default_avatar
Ritu Raj 17 days ago

I agree shame on part of Kitts Creek to derail what we are trying to tell board. I have no clue why are they doing this as they are no where related to Parkside. Shame on board too as all of our concerns and voice are falling on deaf ears. It is a concern that we paid for bond for traditional school and we are being offered YR. we need traditional in our proximity and not some magnet school in Raleigh. It’s voice of Providence Place, Breckinridge, Town hall, Bexley apartments and others too. This is not one of voice. We should be heard and we should have traditional school in our Proximity.

24 Votes
Default_avatar
Sonali Baig 17 days ago

Agreed. This is very concerning to know how fixated some of the Kitts Creek folks are regarding Providence Place & neighboring community school assignments. If no one from Kitts Creek is assigned to Parkside Elementary school then they shouldn't voice their opinions on this discussion board or show up at the meetings with moot points to takeover the relevant points of many concerned members of the community who has faith in this board to do the right thing. They are acting as a bully and this should not be tolerated in any sense by anyone.

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Vinitha Cardoza 17 days ago

The residents of Providence Place, Breckenridge, Town Hall North and Bexley Park have voiced their opinion against YR schools and insisted on the need for traditional seats in the recent school board meeting and the school assignment meetings. I hope the board has heard our voice and will ignore the noise in the background created by Kitts Creek residents who have nothing to do with Parkside. Please understand that Powell and Pleasant Grove is no solution to the problem even if you provide busing. We are not willing to put our children through RTP traffic to send to Pleasant Grove. Keep our children where they are closer to home (Cedar Fork, Green Hope and Horton's creek). No parent wants to send their children from and A grade school to a C or D grade school. You cannot force this on us!! If you cannot keep our children in the current school make Parkside traditional. Give it a try. It may just work fine and meet the needs of the area. If YR is the only option you give us you will see your schools running half capacity which defeats the whole purpose of fully utilizing the school.

24 Votes

Default_avatar
Srinivasa Dandepally 17 days ago

It looks like a section of Kitts Creek community residents have been voicing hard for making Park side ES as YR option for which they are not even assigned. This is a very bad precedent set by them to suppress the voice/demand of the needy and concerned parents asking for traditional option at proximity. its a very shameful act. Hope board ignores their comments by fact checking. We need to have a proximity traditional school...

19 Votes

Default_avatar
Chaitanya Godbole 17 days ago

SHAME on Kitt Creek community folks for this despicable & blatant sabotage. They are not even assigned to Park side ES. Why & how is the WCPSS board even listening to them, when they are not even the stake holders. WCPSS needs to wake up & get it's head out of the sand, we are not going away from this topic any time soon & because our voices will not be drowned by the noise created by miscreants from Kitt Creek.

Please make Parkside ES as a TRADITIONAL calendar school.

22 Votes

Bootstrap_10160737014865632
Anusha Gopalakrishnan 17 days ago

How does it matter to Kitt Creek whether Parkside ES is YR or traditional when they are not even assigned to it. When a whole section of communities (Providence place, Town hall, Bexley and Breckenridge) who have been assigned Parkside ES as YR have voiced their opinion time and again in school meetings, it is quite a selfish sabotage on their part to try and incapacitate our voices!!!!! Please please once again keep the current school or make Parkside Traditional.

20 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 17 days ago

All, this is a public forum, and any parent who wishes may comment. Please refrain from accusations and name-calling.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Sonali Baig 16 days ago

Hi Matt ! We have been respectfully pursuing this board to reconsider Parkside as YR, keeping in mind other parent's preferences. But when some parent's opinion has an ulterior intent to sabotage our child's lives then we all need to speak up. And draft 2 is a clear result that the board is more influenced by these "other" & "not impacted" parents instead of those who are actively voicing their concerns. How is that even fair ! Honesty and fair play must be more important here but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I hope the board ignores opinions /feedback/comments from parents who are not assigned to Parkside and requests them to respect other's situations.

20 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 16 days ago

Hi Sonali. Other people expressing their opinions does not invalidate yours. I understand your point that some people may be commenting who aren't proposed to attend Parkside, but we are hearing you and your neighbors loud and clear. I would ask you not to use terms like "sabotage" to describe other parents' feedback. I know this is an emotional discussion, but let's please remain civil and respectful to one another.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Sonali Baig 16 days ago

Hi Matt ! With all due respect, "Sabotage" means deliberately destroy, damage, or obstruct. Have you seen the pictures Ellen Moricone attached to her post yesterday? The conversations are a clear proof of their intent to sabotage our concerns and feedback on no option of traditional school within 4miles. Not trying to be disrespectful to anyone but simply pointing out wrongdoing of a bully and ensuring that this board doesn't get influenced by their feedback while preparing for draft 3. Thanks !

21 Votes

Default_avatar
Sudhir Subramanian 16 days ago

@Matt Dees: Respectfully, that is exactly the cause of concern and angst among the many parents commenting here. The communities affected by the school assignment are the ones who feel the pain and impact of this assignment - Providence Place, Breckenridge, Town Hall North, Bexley and others. While every other Wake county parent has their right to comment on these topics, there has to be weightage and attention given to the ones directly impacted. We DO NOT believe in calling out any person's name.

But the facts and opinions presented in several posts in this thread and a few of them presented recently, definitely points outs a foul play and gaping and widening hole in understanding parent's concerns and the board's stand currently. And, clearly it appears that there is an attempt from a handful to falsify the true numbers for/ against this proposal.

You check each comment from the many parents (urging the board to consider keeping existing schools or having Parkside Open as Traditional) and you will see for yourself there is a very very small number of people commenting with a person's name. And if you could only imagine their pain, frustration, feeling of being ignored, and seeing history repeat across multiple school re-assignments endured in the past 10+ years - hope they too deserve some benefit of doubt. No one is bad by nature. But when one tries to mess with their kids interest, it is a natural trait to react.

All we have been hearing is: - State Law Mandate does not allow WCPSS to increase number of students per class (Agreed). Also, we are being asked to talk to state legislators expressing our concern - which we will do.

• Asked to vote for upcoming school bond (which is unfortunately becoming a Joke after how the outcomes of 2013 CIP bond is conveniently being mis-interpretted when comparing the board's stand from last year for Buckhorn Creek to this year for Parkside Elementary).

Do we have facts - on how many from assigned communities will go to Parkside Elementary (broken up by community please) as base school? How many are for/ against the YR proposal per community? (You can get a fair idea from the number of posts here, if these comments are of any value).

Also we are not against YR schools. We ask for the choice to decide for our kids to chose the school type that works best for thier "education" not "vacation". And looks like the board has left us with no better choice that advocating for "Parkside to be Traditional"

Public Policies MUST work for the people. That is what democracy empowers us with. And when taking a tough stand both the policy makers and people must cooperate. Many parents here are seing one-sided approach. And hence the reason for all the outcry ...

We write here because we still have faith in the school board (our only hope). We believe you are "truly listening in" and not just "hearing us out".

22 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 16 days ago

And just to make sure everyone is on the same page, students who live in Kitts Creek are proposed to attend year-round Alston Ridge elementary and middle schools.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Nimesh Nagar 16 days ago

Hi Matt They are proposed for YR but do they also continue to have tradition school option too? Providence Place kids are forced to keep only YR options form next year :(

I've nothing against other communities & I am happy for other communities if they continue to have option for both YR & TRADITIONAL schools. Because that is right approach & that is exactly what we residents of Providence Place also deserve. I am hopeful that wcpss will consider our request. I am not against YR as it works for some parents. But there are many parents which prefer Traditional calendars & all we are asking is to provide a good Trad school option in nearby school too along with YR.

24 Votes
Default_avatar
Srinivasa Dandepally 16 days ago

Hi Matt, I agree that it’s a public forum and any concerned parent can post his/her opinion here. But, I feel, it should only be sensible for the affected parent in posting opinion about Parkside ES. Parents not affected by this school should refrain from a forceful endorsement of YR option on other neighborhoods...

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone 16 days ago

Hi Nimesh, Yes, Kitt Creek does have not only one but TWO LOCAL TRADITIONAL SCHOOL options...Horton's Creek AND Green Hope elementary schools. Tell me how that makes any sense??? Our children are being kicked out of these 2 schools.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Dilip Tammana 16 days ago

I respectfully disagree with the decisions that the WCPSS board is making relative to rezoning due to new Parkside elementary. I live in Providence Place community in Morrisville and my daughters currently go to Cedar Fork elementary along with several other kids in my neighborhood and surrounding ones. These are some of reasons why the current school re-zoning plan does not make sense. I urge WCPSS board to read and answer my questions below.

1) We live less than 2 miles away from Cedar Fork Elementary by road and even shorter distance if we walked to school using greenways and sidewalks. We need just need to cross two lanes of traffic on McCrimmon whose max speed is 45 mph. Parkside Elementary school is further away from my house. We need to cross David Drive which has 4 lanes of traffic and cars are driving at much faster speeds (55 mph to 60 mph) especially near left turn to Little drive. It is too far away and far too dangerous to walk to Parkside school from my house. This plan goes against WCPSS stated objective of kids being able to walk to school. Why did the board draw a school zone boundary along McCrimmon (a smaller road) when compared to Davis Drive (a much wider road)?

2) My neighborhood has supported Cedar Fork Elementary and its teachers for almost a decade. How many neighborhoods can say that? We participate enthusiastically in various school activities such as fund raisers, teacher appreciation weeks, chaperoning kids. One of the old neighbors on my street was even PTA head at Cedar Fork. We played a huge part in keeping the school successful. Does this rezoning mean that loyalty to school does not matter much. Why should we invest our personal time and money in schools when the loyalty to school is not reciprocated by WCPSS?.

3) Cedar Fork is traditional calendar school. We have planned our life around traditional calendar, whether it is child care during summer months, travel, after school programs and extra-curricular activities such as swim lessons. It will be super-hard for kids going to Traditional calendar suddenly switch to Year round where some of the tracks only offer a week or 2 of vacation before the beginning of next school year. Will WCPSS guarantee that kids from traditional calendars can get track1 and track4 that seem to be more aligned to traditional calendars?

4) I am planning to send my older child to a magnet middle school. All magnet and high schools use traditional calendar. The puts undue pressure on households that have kids attending year round and traditional calendars simultaneously. It will super-hard for kids to study and focus on school while other kids in the same household are on break. This will put unnecessary stress of both kids and their parents. Why is WCPSS not showing empathy for such families and taking away calendar options that are sorely needed?

5) The traditional option being provided by WCPSS to neighborhoods such as Providence Place, Breckenridge, Townhall north, Bexley apartments and several other such neighborhoods in Morrisville is a like a slap on the face. Nobody in their right mind will take them or agree to them. Even some of the board members said so in the meeting that they were not good options when I approached them directly. How can WCPSS subject so many kids to such unfair Traditional option. Also, why do some neighborhoods (that I will not name) have multiple viable traditional options and while many of the other neighborhoods don’t. How is this fair to neighborhoods that had traditional base schools this year and have none next year?

6) A new school comes with new problems for parents. Currently, my kids go to an after school that is run by teachers at Cedarfork. It is super awesome program and kids love being in that program. All the teachers know my kids on first name basis and real care for my kids. Will the new school have the same program from the get go?

7) Morrisville has grown a lot since I moved to this year but the projected growth for the coming years is expected to be low compared to previous years. There is hardly any land left to build. The same cannot be said about West-cary. Has this been taken into consideration while moving Morrisville kids to new school?

8) Why is WCPSS not looking into assigning new neighborhoods to new schools instead of sending kids from old neighborhoods to new schools? This method will certainly reduce the churn during school rezoning. This will also give the new neighborhoods something to use to build that community feeling that they need.

9) I am sure several different school zone maps were considered before the current one was made public. I would like WCPSS to share with the community the different ideas that were considered and their drawbacks before they decided upon on the current plan?. This is the least WCPSS can do considering the pain and suffering the families and kids will need to go through because of the new rezoning.

I strongly urge WCPSS to let my neighborhood kids to continue study at Cedar Fork by updating the grandfathering rules if there are no other options available.

I also strongly urge parents who are not adversely affected by this school reassignment to refrain from commenting negatively on posts by affected families. Let us all be constructive and realize that what goes around comes around. This school reassignment is more drastic than it needs to be. Having a new school should have been a joyous occasion and instead WCPSS has badly botched this by affecting every family in Morrisville instead of keeping changes to minimum possible. I strongly believe there is still time to fix this and I am hoping that WCPSS will take our comments to heart and do the needful.

Thanks for your time.

25 Votes

Default_avatar
Swetha Reddy 16 days ago

WCPSS Board, please show some compassion when making major decisions involving our kids future. We have been repeatedly mentioning that changing from a traditional calendar to YR would have a huge impact on our families. Please also don't force our kids to Powell or Pleasant Grove, we cannot compromise on the quality of education our kids receive. When we have to forgo a school like Cedar Fork , if not equal give us at least a comparable offer. Sincerely hoping that our requests don’t go unheard . Thank you (Providence Place resident).

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Vinitha Cardoza 16 days ago

Very good point Dilip. Why can't Davis Drive be the intersection for division instead of McCrimmon. Matt please read Dilip's comments and take this point into consideration. If you keep us where we are that will free up the 200 seats which will help Parkside open as traditional!

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Ritu Raj 16 days ago

We always have been reminded WCPSS looks safety first of kids and their employees. I just don’t understand how is it safe for elementary kids from Providence Place to travel 23 miles on highway? Kids to travel on 40mph bus speed on 70mph speedway? It is not safe for our kids and travel time is way too much. God forbid if something happens or bus breakdown on highway. I can’t even imagine Elementary school kids sitting in a nonfunctional bus on a curb. Travel time is during peak times and drivers are in rush to reach destination and they get frustrated to see a school bus with blinkers on and try to change lanes in a hurry. We already have traffic congestion please don’t make it more mess by allowing more school buses on highway. We need Traditional schools in our proximity and Parkside would best fit in this scenario. If you can’t make it better then don’t make it worse and leave our current schools as is.

18 Votes

Default_avatar
Vijay Shenoy 16 days ago

Matt & Wake County Public School System Board members: I am going to restate the points I made at the Board meeting. I live in "Hamlet in the Park" subdivision. 1) You need to grandfather 4th graders along with 5th graders like you used to do. 2) My daughter who is in 3rd grade this year loves Cedar Fork ES and is comfortable there because it is her 4th year there. Next year will be her 5th year at Cedar Fork. 3) My daughter has gotten used to the traditional school year at Cedar Fork and I know will have a hard time adjusting to a new school with year round calendar during her crucial final 2 years in elementary school. 4) If I wanted my daughter to attend magnet school I would have enrolled her in Magnet School with better ratings than Powell Elementary right from Kindergarten. 5) Our sub division "Hamlet in the Park" is a very small and well established (17 year old) subdivision with only 7 kids attending Cedar Fork Elementary. Please let them stay at CFES. 6) Why don't you assign the new schools to the newer housing developments and recent arrivals in Morrisville as they knew very well that Cedar Fork is a school with enrollment cap. Like the General Practitioner stated in the board meeting, just because 7-8 people move to Cary every day her practice does not ask their older clients to go find new Dr's so they can take new patients. Instead they tell new patients to go find new Drs.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone 15 days ago

To pour salt on the wound, take a look at the discussion "Topic: Feedback about Increasing Green Hope Elementary Base Attendance Area". We are getting kicked out of Green Hope Elementary for a traditional option which will cause this school to be under-enrolled...so the new proposal is to "increase the base attendance area" for Green Hope. According to that comment board, the parents of those neighborhoods involved in being moved into GHES are NOT happy. PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS MAKES SENSE!!! Instead of sending us to Powell or Pleasant Grove ES, why can't GHES remain a traditional option IF Parkside cannot open as Traditional??? How is shifting sooo many kids around and making added stress and inconvenience on hundreds of children and parents more important than leaving things the way they are for most neighborhoods and making Parkside traditional since this is so very clear and apparent that TRADITIONAL schools is in higher demand than year round??? Can ANYONE clarify this for me? I understand growth and change for cities as I grew up in this very same situation in south Florida in the 70's and 80's - the difference there was that there was ONLY traditional schools and schools were built as needed (portable classrooms were used until new schools were ready for occupancy). It is stated in WCPSS slides that Parkside ES can seat the same number of students in a traditional calendar as a year-round with the use of portable classrooms and there IS room for these portable classrooms on the school property. As I have mentioned at the meeting last Weds evening, is really not difficult to see that to transfer into a year round option is easy and doable, but to transfer from a year-round base into a traditional is continuously being DENIED. I am pleading with the BOE members, once again and will continue to do so, to PLEASE look at the facts, look at the needs of the residents who voted you into office due to your campaign promises to do what is best for the chiildren & their families, and actually do what is best for us by reading these posts, hearing us at the meetings and make decisions based on those facts. Thank you for your time

13 Votes

Default_avatar
Mohan Rao 15 days ago

Hmm !! Look what I found !! WCPSS 2018-19 School and Base Attendance Area Maps currently shows Parkside Elementary Traditional calendar schools.

https://wcpss.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c23790796a7c4e52b0b11bf4fafe3595

11 Votes

Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone 15 days ago

Wow, and the link noted above was posted just last year, "2017" so what is going on here? Why are we being lied to?

13 Votes
Default_avatar
Ritu Raj at October 09, 2018 at 3:40pm EDT

Yeah that’s the concern we were promised Traditional for bond and getting YR instead. I have no clue who board is trying to please? I also don’t know why there is rush to make this decision and not look for feedback from community and make thorough review of details which are being provided. In stead of increasing base of Green hope and other schools new communities should be given other options whenever they come and not force us out.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Atul Mene at October 08, 2018 at 8:00am EDT

WCPSS Board,

We are talking too many things. And simple points I want to make.

1. Some parents may like Year Round & some people may like Traditional. But, if we are offering both choices in Wake County for so many years. a. How many % of parents asked to switch from Traditional to Year Round ? b. How many % of parents asked to switch from Year Round to Traditional ?

2. Main point is in Morrisville we need more schools and not specifically Year Round School.

So, simple request is don't force parents to choose calendar option based on town or board constraints. What we all need to get away from frustration of thousands of affected Morrisville parents is to have two BASE SCHOOL option instead of one base school & one/two application school for each family and let parents decide based on their current calendar options if they want to continue in TRADITIONAL vs YEAR ROUND and analyze data for need for different calendar options to make all Wake County schools either TRADITIONAL or YEAR ROUND. Here both Traditional & Year Round should be BASE Schools where admission is guaranteed and not based on availability. Soon, we will realize how many parents prefer which calendar option.

1. This is EDUCATION and it's critical for our kids, community, town, city, county & country growth so please STOP offering options somewhere in Raleigh crossing interstates or going on interstates where there are schools close to Morrisville/Cary area.

2. Even if we think about from board perspective. We talk about YEAR ROUND will increase capacity for additional students but when you talk about cost impact how is it CHEAPER compare to TRADITIONAL school when you need more teachers, staff to support school all throughout the year compare to building additional school which is one time cost. So, why are we pushing for YEAR ROUND on majority of parents.

3. If vision for building YEAR ROUND schools is beneficial make all new communities that are being built assigned to YEAR ROUND as Base school and let families make decision on buying those houses if they really need YEAR ROUND. Why existing families suffer through decision.

4. Public forums & social media is not the place to collect parents preference between TRADITIONAL vs YEAR ROUND. Send Wake county official survey that all families should submit directly for their own family and analyze that data. Because, that will provide more realistic information and not biased opinion.

Summary of all we need more TRADITIONAL schools in Morrisville. So, either make PARKSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL as TRADITIONAL or keep our kids in same school CEDAR FORK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL And find ways to create map that supports Morrisville needs. We don't want to send our kids to Raleigh schools even if you offer school buses.

Thanks!!! Atul Mene Providence Place Resident

17 Votes

Default_avatar
Vinitha Cardoza at October 08, 2018 at 12:39pm EDT

I totally agree with Atul. I also wanted to let the board know that we do not want the pleasant Grove option. We have brought this point to your attention but I am stressing it again that driving or busing our kids to Pleasant Grove takes more than 45 mins through RTP traffic. If you have not seen this area please drive from Providence Place or Breckenridge one morning between 8 and 9 AM and see for yourself how inconvenient it is before you make any decision!! We say NO to Powell and Pleasant Grove and ask for Parkside to be traditional or keep our kids where they are currently(Cedar Fork for Providence Place, Green hope and Horton's creek for the other affected neighborhoods)

12 Votes
Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone at October 13, 2018 at 12:51pm EDT

Yes, Yes, Yes! Please listen to our pleas. The BOE is supposed to be representing the residents and the actions in these proposals are NOT representing anyone

3 Votes

Tammy Petschke at October 11, 2018 at 10:33am EDT

I have read through all of these posts and am still waiting for an answer to a question I have had since Draft 1 was released. If Draft 1 or 2 is chosen my rising 5th grader will be assigned to Parkside for 5th grade. If I have him grandfathered into Carpenter for 5th I will need to transport him to school for 5th grade since PP will no longer have a bus service for the school. He is Track 1 so he will finish 4th grade June 4th and should be starting 5th grade on July 8th, 2019 when Tracks 1,2 & 3 start the 2019-20 school year. If we choose to send him to Parkside it is not supposed to open until August. So when will Track 1, 2 & 3 students be for school for those first 4-5 weeks?? I have brought this question up to several people and the only response I've gotten is "I don't know; that's a good question?". I have two kids that are likely being assigned to change schools for their last year of elementary and middle school yet both schools are not set to open until over a month after they should be starting school. Does anyone know what the plan is? As much as my kids would love an extended summer vacation, I don't want them losing 4-5 weeks of instructional time. If making these schools YR was an option from the beginning, they should have planned for construction to be completed by July 2019 when 3/4 of the students are supposed to start their school year. Does anyone have any insight into this???

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at October 11, 2018 at 2:50pm EDT

We have addressed some Frequently Asked Questions from the parent forum at Panther Creek High School. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IoQgCuCCp7JmxLMw5mIaeTMFUr0is3hYuR-2NjY4SnQ/edit?usp=sharing

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Mohan Rao at October 12, 2018 at 4:14pm EDT

How come Greenhope and Hortons Creek do not have seats for Parkside families as our traditional option ? But Alston Ridge families have both schools as their traditional option and to add salt to injury , some of our kids are already at Greenhope and Hortons Creek as occupying calendar application seats . How could there be no seats when these kids are already there ? WCPSS is just looking at one and ONLY one reason to open Parkside as YR ,which is the K-9 mandate .They are disregarding the umpteen reasons and benefits to open Parkside as Traditional .

5 Votes
Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone at October 13, 2018 at 12:49pm EDT

I have been asking this question on this comment board, on the Alston Ridge comment board and another comment board since draft #1 came out and have NEVER received and answer (or comment from Matt Dees) regarding this unfairness. Why is our important inquiry being ignored? Shame on them!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at October 16, 2018 at 2:40pm EDT

Parents, the Board of Education this afternoon will review and discuss possible alternatives to Draft 2 of the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Proposal. You can watch the Board Work Session live starting at 3:30 p.m. It will be archived here for later viewing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GpABK3JnUc

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at October 16, 2018 at 6:48pm EDT

The board continued the Draft 2 discussion at the regular board meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ8aq2hCoKg&fbclid=IwAR31zdmZh7oYxXnbOVAepwxGb7kPppP_M4RELuKt1Ghbduv8nhLBG

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Mohan Rao at October 18, 2018 at 12:33pm EDT

Hello, members of the WCPSS Board of Education,

We in the Breckenridge, Providence Place, TownHall North and Bexley Apartment communities believe that western Wake County is in dire need of traditional calendar schools. We believe there is a divide in how parents in our area want to have their students educated and how the school system chooses to provide that education. Many of our families are now looking into and applying for charter schools for 2019 in order to maintain the traditional calendar schedule and structure, which means that not only do families lose, but the school system stands to lose tax dollars.

Making Parkside Elementary year-round would mean that: 1. Parents have fewer options for track-out care. Many academic, arts, and sports camps are only offered in the longer summer months when college students and teachers are available. 2. Parents do not have enough time to provide academic enrichment in shorter track-out periods. 3. We believe learning and growth also happens outside the classroom; families do not have long summers to travel and visit extended family in other countries.

Those are a few of our reasons for wanting a traditional schedule. But here is why year-round is ALSO bad for WCPSS: 1. Year-round schools put a strain on the budget to pay for teachers, maintenance, cafeteria workers, and increased utility costs. Increased operating costs equal increased taxes--a vicious circle. 2. Teachers have less time to advance their own educations and update skills. We want teachers to be refreshed, energized, and cutting-edge. 3. Many year-round schools in our area (Alston Ridge and Carpenter were two) have struggled to fill the much-vaunted and anticipated 4 tracks, not living up to the expectation of helping with overcrowding.

WCPSS should take a hard look at which schools are in highest demand: the current overcrowded and capped schools are consistently traditional calendar schools.

The evidence shows that traditional calendar schools are not only beneficial for most families in Morrisville, but also a financially better option for Wake County Public Schools.

6 Votes
Default_avatar
Swetha Reddy at October 18, 2018 at 12:54pm EDT

Very true!! Not sure why they are so determined on making Parkside a YR, i personally know lot of YR families who are not happy with their calendar option, they feel that even before the kid gets adjusted to the school they are back on track out. I just hope the Board pays attention to our comments and respect our needs and ideas .

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Mohan Rao at October 18, 2018 at 12:55pm EDT

And their numbers don't add up also !!

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Sudhir Subramanian at October 19, 2018 at 9:37am EDT

Swetha, The only way multi-track YR can get K-8 alignment is by having more and more schools in the area be changed to YR. Alston Ridge Middle needs students from Alston Ridge Elementary, Parkside Elementary, and also, displacing students from Mills Park Middle and all the way to East Cary Middle to operate 4 tracks close to full capacity. Now, Parkside if opened YR needs displacing many many families going to top performing Traditional Schools like Cedar Fork Elementary, Green Hope Elementary, Horton Creek Elementary, Weatherstone Elementary and also existing Carpenter YR families in the name of proximity - REALLY?.All these schools already have affected communities invested heavily in these schools.

K-8 alignments needs to justify numbers. And sadly our families are just numbers that are "forced" to add up.

To all the respected school board members and school assignment team: There is a very strong need to take a fresh look at the current assignment plan and not rush it to voting. We look forward to some empathy and compassion in this matter.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Yogesh Shetty at October 19, 2018 at 3:55pm EDT

Hello Board Members,

In the last discussion i was surprised to see that Powell is still an option with express bus, as said families in need of magnet school will apply (as was always the case) and need not be forced to take it.

I dont see anything much coming out of the last discussion. Points are the same and its not solving our problem of a nearby traditional schools.

Please provide Cedar fork as a traditional option which is right opposite the street for Town Hall North or make Parkside traditional. Both this option saves atleast 2 hours of daily time for kids.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Little at October 19, 2018 at 11:00pm EDT

I'm thrilled that Providence Place is assigned to Parkside elementary and Alston Ridge Middle. I'm also ecstatic both are year round schools. This schedule works best for our family with two working parents and our vacation plans.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Thuy Nguyen at October 20, 2018 at 10:10pm EDT

Proximity is more important to us than school calendar. Pls keep Parkside in year round calendar to allow more students to go to school closer to home. I thank the board for assigning Providence Place neighborhood to Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle school both in year round calendar.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Vijay Shenoy at October 20, 2018 at 11:16pm EDT

A few questions for the board members.

Q1) If year around schools are that good then why are kids from year round schools transferring to Cedar Fork Elementary which is a traditional school in the 2018-19 school year?. If Cedar Fork is over crowded and there is a cap on enrollment how are you allowing these transfers? I know a few of these kids who have transferred from Year round schools to Cedar Fork Elementary.

Q2) If one of the options you are considering is to grandfather kids who are supposed to move from an existing school to another existing school for 4th and 5th graders. Then why don't you consider grandfathering 4th & 5th graders who are supposed to move from an existing school to a new school? Do we not pay the same town/county/state taxes like the parents of these other 4th and 5th grade parents whom you are considering to grandfather? Do we not have equal rights under the state laws? Are we children of a lesser God in the eyes of Wake County School Board members?

If you do not consider grandfathering kids who are supposed to move from an existing school to a new school, then It is especially not fair to kids like my child who is an only child without any siblings and who will be in 4th grade next year. You should be able to grandfather kids without siblings as it won't affect you K-3 student population as they have no siblings and they themselves will be in 4th grade.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sumit Honwad at October 21, 2018 at 11:33pm EDT

Proximity is more important to us than school calendar. Pls keep Parkside in year round calendar to allow more students to go to school closer to home. I thank the board for assigning Providence Place neighborhood to Parkside Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle school both in year round calendar.

0 Votes