Board members indicated support for a number of changes during discussions yesterday. Here is a summary. Please note that the address look-up does not yet reflect these changes. The board will have one more discussion on Nov. 20 and then vote on a final plan.
- Students who live in the Parkside Elementary base attendance area and who currently attend Hortons Creek Elementary, Green Hope Elementary or Weatherstone Elementary would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their current school through the exit grade as transfer students.
- Students assigned to Parkside Elementary would be able to apply to attend Pleasant Grove Elementary as a traditional calendar application student. They would be eligible for neighborhood bus transportation.
- Students assigned to Parkside Elementary can apply to attend Powell Elementary, Ligon Middle as one of their magnet school options. They would be eligible for express bus transportation.
- The MacArthur Park area would remain at Green Hope High School.
- Rising 7th and 8th graders reassigned from an existing school to an existing school (i.e. Reedy Creek Middle to East Cary Middle) would be eligible to grandfather and stay through the exit grade, as would any rising 6th grade siblings.
- Rising 8th graders assigned to Alston Ridge Middle would be eligible to grandfather. Their 7th grade siblings could also grandfather AND stay through the exit grade. Their sixth grade siblings would still only be allowed to stay for one year.
- Students affected by calendar application school changes would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their current school through the exit grade.
Swift Creek Elementary and Yates Mill Elementary base families will now have one year-round application school for their address (Adams Elem. or Oak Grove Elem.) The choice will depend on where they live.
- Dillard Drive Middle base families will be able to apply to Lufkin Road Middle or North Garner Middle (depending on their address).
- West Cary Middle base families will be able to apply to Salem Middle or Alston Ridge Middle (depending on their address).
- Staff is bringing a separate presentation to the Nov. 20th work session to provide information to the Board regarding the southern area of the Mills Park Middle base area and the possible use of satellite assignment areas.