UPDATE NOV. 20 

The Board of Education approved the 2019-20 Student Enrollment Plan. There were no substantial changes affecting current students from the previous board meeting, which can be found below. The Board did approve assignment changes to some undeveloped areas of the county. Thank you to everyone who participated in this process. Find your base school assignment and your application school options for the 2019-20 school year. Please note the address look-up tool has not yet been updated to include changes to school assignments for some undeveloped areas. 

If you have any questions, please contact the Student Assignment Office at 919-431-7333 or find the Student Assignment representative for your area.

Please ask any clarifying questions about the plan below. 

47 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Allieon Del 25 days ago

Can you please confirm the grandfather policy. Specifically Elementary calendar option students and siblings. Thanks.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jessica Jones 25 days ago

Yes. Please clarify the grandfather policy. How does this affect rising Kindergarteners if they have a sibling who can be grandfathered? When is the grandfather application period?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 24 days ago

We will be emailing and calling everyone who is eligible to grandfather next week with information about the grandfather request period. We need a little more time to update the system to make sure we include everyone.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Calendar Application School Students Any student proposed to be assigned to a new calendar application school would be eligible to grandfather. Any rising K or rising 6 siblings would be eligible to grandfather if they have an older sibling at the school. They will be able to remain at the school through the exit grade. Grandfather requests can be made that will take place during a special application period in late November or early December. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/30654

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Anitha Muppural at December 03, 2018 at 2:59pm EST

Hi Matt, thanks for all the detailed discussion. quick question, i was trying to file in a grand father request for my daughter (currently in Mills park Middle ) to Panther Creek High School , where her sister is a junior current year , but i see this clause in the final submit form

'For High School Only: Pursuant to Board Policy 4150.3 section C, students who are granted a voluntary transfer away from their assigned school shall not participate in athletic activities for 365 days. Student athletes should review this policy prior to submitting this application."

what does this mean ? My daughter is a volley ball player who played for Mills park middle and would like try out for panther creek high school volley ball team . Will this clause and eventual tranfer tp panther creek high ( from assigned Green Level high ) affect her chances in playing high school volley ball in 9th grade ?

Regards, Anitha Muppural

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jessica Jones 25 days ago

Specifically about calendar option changes.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
A D 25 days ago

Once again, information is unclear and misleading. In the presentation provided to the board tonight, slide 49 discusses grandfathering. The slide says that it refers to slides 32 and 33 in the presentation, but those are not the slides that directly deal with the issue of calendar application school changes and the grandfathering policies. Furthermore, the link that leads to the grandfathering site on your page is still in the "proposed" phase. Can you please update the grandfathering policies so that we can understand how this plan impacts our families?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

We will be emailing and calling everyone who is eligible to grandfather next week with information about the grandfather request period. We need a little more time to update the system to make sure we include everyone.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Calendar Application School Students Any student proposed to be assigned to a new calendar application school would be eligible to grandfather. Any rising K or rising 6 siblings would be eligible to grandfather if they have an older sibling at the school. They will be able to remain at the school through the exit grade. Grandfather requests can be made that will take place during a special application period in late November or early December. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
0 Votes

Default_avatar
Yamilka Cranford 24 days ago

Hi Matt, Based on the approved plan my kids (1st grade and 3rd grade) will be attending Parkside Elementary. When do we enroll them in the new school? and when do we provide information to the school about track preference? Thank you.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

You do not need to enroll them in the new school. That will be done automatically. Let me ask about track preference and get back.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Cathy Mural 24 days ago

Thank you.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Track decisions are made at the school level, and track requests are made to the school. Obviously there's not a school to speak of right at this moment, the principals having just been named last night. (AWESOME principals, by the way.) So it likely won't be until the spring when parents can speak with a data manager and indicate track preference. I will have more information next week to share here and on the enrollment proposal site, and we will work with the schools to make sure all the procedures are clear and families are notified of them. I hope that will suffice for now. Enjoy your holiday!

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Cathy Mural 24 days ago

Thanks!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ellen Moricone 21 days ago

If I have a high schooler, will my elementary student, going to Parkside from a prior traditional school, have priority to get track 4 (so they have similar schedules)? Thanks

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Susan Nagorski 19 days ago

Hi. My kids have been assigned to Parkside Elementary next year. Is there any information on how/when we request to stay in the same track yet? I was also wondering when we will start to hear about the hours of the school and when the school tours will start. Thanks!

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 19 days ago

This is from the principal, Teresa Caswell. "I cannot guarantee current tracks as we have two year round schools and one traditional feeding into Parkside. My plan is to communicate track preference procedures (likely a google form) before the winter break. This will include if you are currently on a year-round calendar, current track, and if you'd like that track to change. I will do my best to keep current tracks for those who want them while ensuring all tracks are balanced. Unfortunately, it will be April before final assignments are communicated. Year-round schools have to wait that long to see any transfers/applications that are approved by student assignment that may increase or decrease our student numbers. These numbers determine the number of teachers a school is allotted, and that allotment isn't provided until late March/Early April. As much as I do not like waiting, it is better than changing your assigned track after the fact because of over or under enrollment."

0 Votes

Default_avatar

From Parkside Principal Teresa Caswell, re: track assignments: "I cannot guarantee current tracks as we have two year round schools and one traditional feeding into Parkside. My plan is to communicate track preference procedures (likely a google form) before the winter break. This will include if you are currently on a year-round calendar, current track, and if you'd like that track to change. I will do my best to keep current tracks for those who want them while ensuring all tracks are balanced. Unfortunately, it will be April before final assignments are communicated. Year-round schools have to wait that long to see any transfers/applications that are approved by student assignment that may increase or decrease our student numbers. These numbers determine the number of teachers a school is allotted, and that allotment isn't provided until late March/Early April. As much as I do not like waiting, it is better than changing your assigned track after the fact because of over or under enrollment."

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Just confirmed with Alston Ridge Middle Principal Rick Williams that the same information above will apply to his school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Rachel Lehman 15 days ago

My children are eligible to be grandfathered at RCMMS with no transportation. I plan on grandfathering them but what is the process if in the future I am unable to provide transportation. Can they be transferred to their base of ECMS? Is there any chance of transferring to their base NOT being approved or being delayed? Thanks.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 15 days ago

You can request a transfer from Feb. 21-March 6. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33766 If you are requesting to go back to your base, the request will be automatically be granted. East Cary does not have an enrollment cap.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Shilpa Kothari 15 days ago

Have the emails to parents on the grandfathered clause gone out yet. My daughter is at Mills Park, and with the approved proposal due to go into Alston Ridge. However If we opt to stay with the traditional calendar, she would be going from an existing middle school to another existing middle school, therefore feel the grandfather clause would apply to her for a rising 7th grader? Please help confirm

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Here are the approved grandfathering rules for those assigned to Alston Ridge Middle.

Middle School Students - Existing School to New School (Alston Ridge Middle)

Rising 8th graders can grandfather. Their 7th grade siblings could also grandfather AND stay through the exit grade. Their sixth grade siblings would only be allowed to stay for one year. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period Dec. 3-Dec. 14. We will email and call everyone who is eligible with information about the application process. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

We will be sending the notice to families eligible to grandfather on Monday. Middle School Students - Existing School to New School (Alston Ridge Middle)

Rising 8th graders can grandfather. Their 7th grade siblings could also grandfather AND stay through the exit grade. Their sixth grade siblings would only be allowed to stay for one year. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period Dec. 3-Dec. 14. We will email and call everyone who is eligible with information about the application process. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Alston Ridge is a new school, not an existing school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
ME B at December 02, 2018 at 9:23pm EST

I would assume with the assignment changes approved, that it is official that East Cary will become a traditional calendar? Is there any change to the bell schedule?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 03, 2018 at 8:38am EST

Yes, East Cary will be on a traditional calendar in 2019-20. I will check on bell schedule question and report back.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 03, 2018 at 9:29am EST

No decision yet on bell schedule yet. Our transportation folks will need to review the entire board-approved assignment plan before they will be able to make bell schedule proposals to the board. By policy, they take proposals to the board for approval by April 1.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
ME B at December 03, 2018 at 11:17am EST

Thank you Matt. Do you know if it's even been proposed to have the bell schedule changed?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Mohan Rao at December 03, 2018 at 2:31pm EST

Our 2018-2019 Base School is Alston Ridge ES, with the Traditional calendar options of Hortons Creek and Greenhope ES. My child is at Hortons Creek. Our base school for 2019-2020 will be Parkside with the Traditional calendar option as Pleasant Grove ES. Would my child be eligible to be grandfathered into Hortons Creek ?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 03, 2018 at 2:59pm EST

Yes. Calendar Application School Students Any student being assigned to a new calendar application school is eligible to grandfather. Any rising K or rising 6 siblings would be eligible to grandfather if they have an older sibling at the school. They will be able to remain at the school through the exit grade. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period Dec. 3-Dec. 14. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Julie Cooper at December 03, 2018 at 2:48pm EST

Currently I have a 10th grader at Heritage and a 7th grader at Wakefield. When my 7th grader enters HS, my 10th grader will be a senior at Heritage. Is he grandfathered to be able to attend Heritage since there will be a sibling at the school or will I have to send my kids to two different HS?
Also, will grandfathering require a new submission each year and will it continue to be automatically approved?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 03, 2018 at 3:03pm EST

You will need to request a transfer for the younger sibling as he is rising into 9th grade. The transfer request period is usually in late February into early March. That transfer request (it's technically not grandfathering) is guaranteed to be approved as long as the older sibling is at the school and you haven't changed addresses. You will just need to get the transfer request approved the once and then you're good to go after that, again unless you change addresses.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sue Hill at December 03, 2018 at 6:28pm EST

We have two students at Heritage Elementary, grades 2 and 4, that were approved to transfer from Rolesville Elementary since kindergarten. Does the new grandfathering proposal apply to them? Do we need to reapply for transfer status?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 03, 2018 at 8:16pm EST

No, assignment plans do not affect current transfer students.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Sue Hill at December 04, 2018 at 5:49am EST

Thank You!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Felicia Levine at December 10, 2018 at 9:10pm EST

Hi, Matt. Just trying to clarify... I have a rising 5th grade student at Morrisville Elementary. I would like him to continue at this school. Morrisville continues to be a year round application school for us. So, do I need to do anything (request grandfathering?) or will he automatically be enrolled again at MES next year. Thanks in advance for the clarification!

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 12, 2018 at 2:29pm EST

Have you called the student assignment office? 919-431-7333 if not. They can help. A lot of possible factors, depending on whether he is attending Morrisville as a base student or not. They are the folks best equipped to help.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10105852388363823
Courtney Leigh at December 11, 2018 at 2:25pm EST

Hi Matt - I, too, have a rising 5th grade student at Morrisville Elementary. This is not her base school; however, she has been attending this school since Kindergarten and we provide transportation. Do I need to do anything to have her continue at MES and finish out her elementary years at MES? The grandfather application doesn't list MES as an option. Any insight you can provide as to what I need to do to have her continue at MES would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 12, 2018 at 2:30pm EST

Have you called the student assignment office? 919-431-7333 if not. They can help. If your child is there as a transfer student, no action will be required. Different if there under a different designation. Please call the student assignment office.

0 Votes
Bootstrap_10105852388363823
Courtney Leigh at December 12, 2018 at 3:14pm EST

Thank you for your response. I have left a message as of yesterday morning and not heard anything. Trying again but feel like I'll have to leave another message. :(

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ruth Coon at December 13, 2018 at 5:22pm EST

I have a question about grandfathering and athletics. I was just filling out the application for grandfathering my son into Panther Creek and saw this note on the signature page: For High School Only: Pursuant to Board Policy 4150.3 section C, students who are granted a voluntary transfer away from their assigned school shall not participate in athletic activities for 365 days. Student athletes should review this policy prior to submitting this application.

Does this mean my son can't participate in sports next year at PCHS if he chooses to grandfather (meaning is grandfathering considered a voluntary transfer)? And if he does grandfather to PCHS for next year but then choose to go to his assigned school Green Level the following year, what affect will that have on his athletic eligibility (i.e. is that considered a voluntary transfer at that point? This will be an important factor in our decision. Thanks!

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 14, 2018 at 10:32am EST

That rule doesn't apply if you're not changing schools.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ruth Coon at December 13, 2018 at 5:30pm EST

Also I meant to ask if I submit the application for grandfathering to PCHS by tomorrow is that the final decision? I saw where there can be requests to transfer in the spring so if my son decides he does want to go to Green Level after all can he request that then? We were thinking part of our decision to grandfather or not would be dependent upon his participation in Tennis which is a spring sport so he hasn't had the chance to experience it yet in order to decide if that's important to him or not. I hope that makes sense. He doesn't know yet if he loves it so much he wants to stay or if he's ok to go to the new school which doesn't have an established team/program. Thanks

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 14, 2018 at 10:35am EST

Receiving grandfathering status will not prevent you from requesting a transfer to attend Green Level. That request would be approved. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33766

0 Votes