This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 12/04: The address look-up tool has been updated to reflect all assignment changes.

UPDATE 12/03: The board approved assignment changes for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. The only change made today from Draft 2 is that students reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Turner Creek Elementary will have Baucom Elementary as their traditional calendar application school instead of Green Hope Elementary, as originally opposed. The address look-up tool will be updated to reflect this change tomorrow and then shared with all families in the district.

On Nov. 5, staff presented the Board of Education with Draft 2 of the student enrollment proposal.

The Draft 2 proposal was developed after staff and board members considered feedback and questions from parents gathered over several weeks, both online and at three Open House information sessions.

Here are the changes made from Draft 1 to Draft 2:

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Salem Elementary in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend Turner Creek Elementary.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment and helps ensure Salem Elementary doesn’t get too crowded.

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Brassfield Elementary to Wakefield Elementary are now proposed to remain at Brassfield. Staff plans to make a revised recommendation next year.
Purpose: Draft 1 split the River Run neighborhood. 

Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend West Lake Middle.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment.

-Draft 2 Change: A northern portion of the Highcroft Drive Elementary base that currently is undeveloped is proposed to be reassigned to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle.
Purpose: Will help prevent future overcrowding at Highcroft Drive Elementary.

-Draft 2 Change: Adding currently undeveloped land to the Fuquay-Varina High base.
Purpose: Will help ensure a healthy school population at Fuquay-Varina High. Draft 1 proposal would have reduced Fuquay-Varina High School to 69% capacity in 2023-24.

What’s next?

-Draft 2 marks the final recommendation from staff. Any changes to the proposal going forward would come from the direction of the school board.

-Parents can continue to use our online forum to share feedback and ask questions. Board members and staff will continue to monitor the forum as they work toward a final plan.

-Community members will be able to address the board directly during a public hearing on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.

-If necessary, the board will discuss any additional changes at a work session on the afternoon of Dec. 3. A final vote is expected at the regular board meeting starting at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3.

-Find the thread related to your proposed assignment below. There you can ask questions and provide feedback.

As a reminder: We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

Proposal: Draft 2 recommends that students who were proposed to be reassigned from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend West Lake Middle.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment.

Draft 1 proposed a different group of students move from Fuquay-Varina Middle to West Lake Middle. Draft 2 keeps that recommendation. The Draft 2 change only applies to those students proposed in Draft 1 to move from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle.

24 Responses

Default_avatar
Ashley Hodges about 1 month ago

I watched the board meeting from this evening. The board spent exactly ONE MINUTE discussing the changes to Fuquay Varina Middle School (If anyone wants to watch the discussion, it runs from 1hr28min to 1hr29min). This is totally unacceptable. The other schools got several minutes of input from the board. Why was FVMS reassignments overlooked? Southern Wake county families matter too!

Also, the presentation made it seem like there have not been many changes made to the FVMS attendance area, which is completely misleading. The board aligned my neighborhood with a year round middle school (which made sense because the base elementary school is year round), however, no thought was given to the calendar application students from those areas. My students are calendar application students attending FVES. Why can't we stay aligned with our traditional middle School? Why are our children being asked to bus across towns?

What type of discussions did the board and staff have about the small group of students that are calendar application students that had their calendar application schools changed?

Matt, I'm disappointed that our concerns were not addressed.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

I live off Air Park road in Fuquay. We were originally slated to attend Banks and FVMS. We applied to FVES with the thought our children would then FVMS with their friends. The board did not even discuss that our family is being asked to move to Holly Ridge. My children will attend Fuquay for Elementary, Holly Springs for Middle, and then Willow Spring for High. Where is the stability and community for students?

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Caryn Johnson about 1 month ago

In addition to what Ashley Hodges said above...1. There is not even a ‘topic’ that covers us anymore. 2. You have not in anyway addressed the issue with only allowing rising 6th grade siblings to grandfather for 1 year. Forcing 8th & 6th grade siblings to attend two different middle schools over 20 minutes apart or force them to switch schools in their 8th or 7th grade year is completely unacceptable and shows nothing other than that WCPSS is completely ignoring their own guidelines and all of the data that proves this would negatively impact their education, let along make it impossible for families. BOTH our school board rep and the man from assignment at the forum said they would support allowing the rising 6th grade sibling to stay the whole three years. 3. Where is the data that shows how many seats it would impact if you a. let the rising 6th grade siblings stay for all 3 years? and b. How many seats are actually being opened up my moving the Airpark Road area out of FVMS? It cannot be very many in either situation. It is not a density populated area and there is not much room for future growth.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Caryn Johnson about 1 month ago
  1. (Continuing from above). I have asked several times and have not gotten an answer. Why are so many addresses with a YR base elementary (specifically Willow Spring El.) still being sent to traditional FVMS while those of us who are already traditional (because FVMS is our base and have tradition elem siblings) are being moved out of FVMS? If you have open YR middle school seats, send YR elementary kids there, NOT those of us (Airpark Road) that have been trad base middle and gave traditional elem kids too.
0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nancy Adams about 1 month ago

Yes, I agree with Caryn Johnson. Please provide data that shows the number of rising 6th grade students that currently have rising 8th grade siblings that would fall under the grandfathering guidelines. No discussion was made in regards to grandfathering. If the grandfathering stays as is, our family will be forced to have an 8th grader on traditional calendar at FVMS and a 6th grader at West Lake on year round. How is this beneficial to students or families? There cannot be a large number of students in this situation. Please discuss and revise the grandfathering rules.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Teresa Renken about 1 month ago

Is there no longer a traditional school option for our children in the Willow Bluffs area? You best believe I will be at that meeting November 19th.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
robert banks about 1 month ago

Moving from Fuquay MS to West Lake is not a proximate school assignment for our location and with our daughter having only one year left in MS at this reassignment is unreasonable to move to another from Fuquay.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Nora Sherwood about 1 month ago

What are the traditional options? What are my application school options? When I click on that box, it takes me to a page that has nothing listed.....

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Carrie Kuvik about 1 month ago

As a parent of a student who entered WCPSS the year the "Choice Plan" was implemented, I have been frustrated beyond words with the assignment system. Despite knowing good and well that an assignment plan that allowed families to choose their school would be a nightmare, I did as I was instructed and chose an elementary school, paying close attention to the feeder pattern for middle and high school because we would not be given the option to choose again at those levels. As expected, the “Choice Plan” tanked. And low and behold, the school we selected was no longer an option. Fortunately, I was able to provide transportation for grades K-5 and use NGMS as our year-round middle school option, keeping my children in the school in which they started and promoting to middle school with their friends. My oldest, now in seventh grade, has gone to elementary and middle school in Garner. But transportation to a Garner high school will not be offered.

The first draft of the proposed enrollment plan actually would have (somewhat) benefitted us, allowing my kids to remain at NGMS, but switching to the new Willow Spring High School in time. Unfortunately, the second draft will not. Sadly, no matter what, continuing to go to school in the community in which they have grown up won’t be an option.

WCPSS has left us in a lose-lose position since day one.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10221052739338637
Jenny Dean about 1 month ago

Hello, My name is Jenny. I have 4 children...12 (6th FVMS), 10 (4th WSES), 4 (rising K), and 3 (future WCPSS kiddo) We recently moved from FV a few miles down 42 hwy to a brand new neighborhood off Mt Pleasant in WS. When we moved our schools were Vance, FVMS and FVHS. We knew we would most likely have to switch to Vance hoping to possibly be able to keep our rising 5th at WSES for her remaining year of elementary. With having 3 kids of different ages all in WCPSS and all of the different calendar schools it is seriously mind blowingly frustrating to try to figure this out.

Our school has now changed from North Garner thank goodness, because it is 34 minutes from our home, in a place that might as well be Mars to us because we know nobody in Garner and neither do my kids... but now we are back to a year round school in Apex with the second change to WLMS. I am thankful the board listened to our complaints and brought us closer to home. Actually WSES does feed to WLMS so my kids will know others there which I am happy about but now my little ones will go to Vance which is track 4 only....is my older son guaranteed to get on track 4 at WLMS is my other kids are at a track 4 only school? And I was told at Vance that 99% of their population feeds to NGMS so now my kids will spend their elementary school years at a school they will most likely not go to middle school with but a small group...that doesn't seem to make sense. Why not, if we are changed to WLMS also change us to WSES so our kids have an opportunity to stay with some of their peers into middle school? Also that gives more track options besides just track 4 which is an overcrowded track. I know that WSES has just lost a ton of kids to SLES but did not gain any new kids can someone please tell me why we could not be considered for this school instead of Vance? We are literally 8 minutes from WSES.

My other concern is the lack of traditional option...well there are options but they are 30-35 minutes from our home. I just can not comprehend how ANYONE would think this is acceptable to send a kids to a school so far from home unless it was a choice like a magnet or private school. We have baseball, dance, gymnastics, church during the week and my kids can not be on a bus all afternoon leaving me to have to pick them up and if I have to go to AVERSBOROR Elementary in the middle of garner to get 2 of my kids and then ALL THE WAY TO CARY!!!!?????!!!??? To get my oldest WHAT?????? Remember we live in Willow Springs not Cary or Garner. How can this be serious?? Mr Jim Martin reminded me several times when I met him at WSHS meeting that my address does not guarantee me a school...I get it BUT seriously 3 different cities this puts me and my kids in just to go to our BASE traditional schools. To me this is just wrong on all aspects and mind boggling that anyone would even consider. We truly would prefer to stay on traditional but these 2 schools and the distance from our home and from each other makes it absolutely impossible.

Lastly...I am a bit of a momma bear in that I care about my kids, I care about the reputation of the schools my kids attend and I care about their education and safety. Mr Martin also assured me that evening "ma'am, we work to ensure that ALL Wake County Schools are top notch schools that anyone would want their children to attend"....well a quick google search and a post to FB asking parents about their experiences will show you that is absolutely NOT the case. We have been blessed with our experiences at FVMS and WSES no complaints....but please do a quick search on google of WLMS and tell me it's a school you would want to send your child to??????? Also my FB post received 20 comments from parents all said things like "DON"T DO IT!!!" "AVOID AT ALL COSTS" "HORRIBLE ADMINISTRATION" "THE TEACHERS ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY THE ADMINISTRATION" "THE KIDS RUN WILD WITH NO CONSEQUENCE" "Bad Bullying Issues" "HIGH TEACHER TURN OVER RATE"....only 2 commented that it was ok...had bullying issues in the past but worked out....what?????? This is completely unacceptable! And seems to me that our kids are being used as a bandaid to try to fill the whole in schools where parents are running with their kids away form them. Why aren't these parents and teachers concerns at WLMS being addressed? Seems like if not this will continue to be a school where you can't get people to keep their children...I for one will not. Also, North Garner did not have better reviews... So our kids are being used to populated underpopulated schools because others don't want to do there?

So now my mind is completely blown...I have 3 kids that will be in WCPSS next year and I feel completely devastated about our options or lack there of for next year. I am very saddened by the apparent disregard for our kids and their stability and future. So far we have had a wonderful experience with Wake County Schools and I am thankful that the board moved us closer to home from the NGMS option to WLMS...but we now have a new set of issues to sort out....back to year round...track 4 only elementary school going to year round middle....it's just a lot to try to work out. Is there any way to give us any closer traditional options and to look at putting us at WSES for our base if we are moved to WLMS?????

0 Votes

Jenny Dean about 1 month ago

What about Fuquay Elementary or South Lakes Elementary as a traditional option? And is there not a closer traditional Middle School than Dillard Drive?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt,

Is there a map containing the attendance map and capacity percentages for all middle schools in the Fuquay Varina/Holly springs area?

I noticed in the drafts that Holly ridge is never included.

Also, North Garner (YR) and West Lake (YR) are projected to be operating at 83% AFTER the changes. Why not send more Willow springs students to the year round middle schools in the area? That would open seats for the traditional calendar students in this area.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jeremy Johnson about 1 month ago

Hi,

I have three daughters that are all being affected by these updates. Two years ago we made the switch from yr to calendar school year. This change effects my rising 8th grader, rising 6th grader, and rising 3rd grader. It appears we can apply to grandfather into FVMS. How can we obtain a longer term plan for grandfathering? The current plan does not bring stability to the education process.

Another issue is our new calendar application option for our rising 6th grader takes twice as long to commute from our home, does not primarily feed into our base high school, and is just as overcrowded as our existing base school. How can we have our existing base middle school to be a calendar option with a long term plan for stability? Middle school is a time of transition for children, how can we have a stable plan for my rising 6th grader without forcing two middle schoolers to attend different schools. Our rising 8th grader needs stability in her year of transition which is FVMS, our rising 6th grader needs stability in middle school (currently HRMS). Couple this with the distance between the two middle schools, this option is impossible for our family. Grandfathering should include the entire middle school term as it is a three year section of our children’s development. How can this be addressed?

For my rising 3rd grader, it is laughable that our current Lincoln Heights calendar option is not an application calendar school. Lincoln heights is under enrolled and is a great school. How can we have a meeting to address these items? It appears the district is not following its guide line to contact the affect calendar option families. The online tool no longer offers Lincoln heights as a calendar option for my rising 3rd grader. Normally we are notified by 3 different phone numbers and texts for changes, how can we get the same method of urgency for this larger change when compared to a one day change (a day off or Saturday school day)?

Best regards,

Jeremy

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Teresa Renken 27 days ago

Where has the administrator gone on this forum? No one here any longer?

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 27 days ago

I'm here. What do you need?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Nancy Adams 25 days ago

I would broaden this to BRES as well. Even though we are coming from a year round calendar, sending us to West Lake as a year round calendar alignment does no good to us when we have a rising 8th grader at FVMS on traditional. And grandfathering for a 6th grader to do one year of traditional, after an elementary career of YR and then being sent back to YR for 7th and 8th grades, is not really a viable option. I urgently request that you consider grandfathering rising 6th graders with rising 8th grade siblings for 7th and 8th grade as well. We voluntarily chose to have two different calendars for 2 years, but would not have chosen that if we knew it was going to be forced on us for 5 years.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Hodges 27 days ago

Matt,

How many traditional (FVES/LHES) rising 6th graders are not proposed to attend FVMS? In other words, how many 5th grade students currently enrolled in those two schools are not eligible to attend FVMS?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jeremy Johnson 26 days ago

Hi Matt,

We would like for you to reply to our comments. We would like to know if anyone is reading these threads and if these points are being considered in the next edits of the proposal. It appears no action is being take from these comments. Have these discussions been raised to the appropriate individuals within the district?

Best regards,

Jeremy

1 Vote

Jenny Dean 22 days ago

Just noticed that our traditional middle school option has changed from Dillard Drive to Holly Ridge. I have stated before that we have a large family with kids ranging from middle school to daycare age. My husband and I both work. Our ideal situation is to have our kids all on a traditional calendar. While HRMS is closer to our home it is still 26 minutes away but my big issues with this option is that our current base elementary school Aversboro Elemntary is 22 minutes form our home and 27 minutes from HRMS. Please please please give us a traditional option that it closer to home and closer to the feeder middle school. This is going to be impossible for me as a parent to be able to maintain a relationship with my kids schools and for my kids to make lasting friendships that will transition from their elementary years. Going from Garner to Holly Springs just seems really unfair for my children especially since we don't live in either of these towns. I realize that there must be some give here but please try to make this fair for our families too. How many children will transition from Aversboro Elementary to Holly Ridge Middle School? Thank you.

0 Votes

Jenny Dean 22 days ago

We have 2 elementary schools much closer to home and closer to HRMS FVES 14 min from our home 13 min from HRMS South Lakes Elementary 15 min. from our home 19 min from HRMS Can you please consider these options for us? We are trying our best to work with this but need a win win for our families too. We are a small number of kids as we have previously been told by the board so please help our kids to have a face in WCPSS.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Hodges 21 days ago

With the exciting recommendation from Staff to build a completely new middle school in Fuquay Varina immediate relief can be expected in 2022, can staff revisit some of the reassignments? With the information now provided, please allow traditional families to stay at FVMS! Don't split our community knowing that relief is on the way!

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Nancy Adams 21 days ago

Exactly! If a new FVMS building is being considered, please do not go through with the assignment changes for FVMS until those details are ironed out!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Amy Mattingly 21 days ago

I live off of Air Park Road. I currently have a 5th grader at FVES. We have been under the impression that he would continue on the traditional calendar to FVMS when he is a 6th grader next year. We also have a rising 9th grader who will be at Willow Spring High School. We are very unhappy with the new plan to send the youngest to a year-round middle school or a traditional option in another town. I understand completely that this decision to move students to West Lake or Holly Ridge is about numbers. I have had children on different schedules for the past 3 years due to the Wake County numbers dilemma. My son was fortunate enough to be able to go to FVES and stay on the same schedule as his older sister. I am also a foster parent and when I had a school-aged child live with me for an extended time period, they were assigned to our year-round option. We exhausting all of our options to get the Board to understand our difficult situation, but no amount of appealing to committees could get them to understand how the decision to have kids on different schedules impacts families. Multiple calendars and attending schools that are not close to home create barriers to be able to spend time together and vacation. This also means sometimes kids in a family are making up school days with Saturday school when the other siblings are not. Now that I will have a 9th grader at WSHS next year, the thought of working around a year-round schedule or trying to attend school events in Holly Springs creates another burden. I completely understand all sides of the situation and I am asking WCPSS to seek first to understand how these decisions are more than numbers, but impact people on many levels that are probably not even considered. If a new middle school is in fact coming to Fuquay as mentioned above by Ashley, then I hope that the board can look at more long-term solutions instead of short-term fixes that complicate the lives of families even more than you may realize.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Timothy Elkins 21 days ago

Good evening!  I want to express my concern regarding Draft 2 of the proposed school reassignment.  In this proposal, my current 6th grade FVMS daughter will be moved to HRMS for her 7th and 8th grade year and then moved to WSHS for her high school career.   I first want to say thank you for hearing our concerns through the first round of these discussions.  I do feel like my concerns were heard by moving the school from NGMS to HRMS.  Unfortunately, even with the change to HRMS, I still have many of the same concerns. 1.  Distance - Currently, my child is 9.5 miles away from FVMS with an approximate drive of 18 minutes.  Moving to HSMS would only be 14 miles, but the driving time jumps to 27 minutes.  With morning traffic, this can create an even larger gap in times.  I can currently take her to school, however if she is moved to HRMS she will have to ride a bus and bus times can be much longer than car times.  

2.  My wife and I both work in Fuquay.  Moving our child to HRMS will place a burden on transportation for doctors appointments - creating the need for us to take personal time off instead of possibly using a lunch hour for a dental or medical appointment. Additionally, it will create more need to sign her out more often - causing unnecessary absences.

3.  Our daughter participates in recreational sports at the Fuquay Varina Community Center.  She has grown accustomed to the culture and the dynamics of this community.

4.  Moving her to HRMS will make it harder for us as parents to serve as stakeholders and volunteers for her school.  Now, we can currently participate in daily and after school activities because we are right here in town.   Moving her out of town will limit our abilities to support her school.

5.  She is fully invested in FVMS with both time and school gear.  I honestly don't want to have to purchase new PE shirts, spirit wear, etc...things that are important to students.  

6.  FVMS data shows teachers believe in and work well with the leadership in place.  When both teachers and leadership work well together, the impossible becomes possible.  Please let her enjoy the success and growth this school is seeing.  

7.  It has been mentioned numerous times that there is a small population affected.  If it is so small, then the  move won't make that much of a difference.  Why possibly change a child's social experience if it doesn't even accomplish the goal of lowering the population below capacity?

8.  We moved here from GA.  This is our daughter's first year in middle school.  Another move to another school so quickly could possibly make her regress when she has worked so hard to find her way this school year.

9.  If the possibility is on the table of building a new FVMS, at least put this reassignment off until a decision is made on whether a new school is going to be built or not.  Don't continue making changes to the families of our area.  

10.   Students established as 6th graders shouldn't have to reestablish somewhere else.  Please let her continue through middle school in one place.  

I greatly appreciate you hearing my concerns and taking them into consideration. With respect, Tmothy Elkins

0 Votes