This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 12/04: The address look-up tool has been updated to reflect all assignment changes.

UPDATE 12/03: The board approved assignment changes for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. The only change made today from Draft 2 is that students reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Turner Creek Elementary will have Baucom Elementary as their traditional calendar application school instead of Green Hope Elementary, as originally opposed. The address look-up tool will be updated to reflect this change tomorrow and then shared with all families in the district.

On Nov. 5, staff presented the Board of Education with Draft 2 of the student enrollment proposal.

The Draft 2 proposal was developed after staff and board members considered feedback and questions from parents gathered over several weeks, both online and at three Open House information sessions.

Here are the changes made from Draft 1 to Draft 2:

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Salem Elementary in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend Turner Creek Elementary.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment and helps ensure Salem Elementary doesn’t get too crowded.

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Brassfield Elementary to Wakefield Elementary are now proposed to remain at Brassfield. Staff plans to make a revised recommendation next year.
Purpose: Draft 1 split the River Run neighborhood. 

Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend West Lake Middle.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment.

-Draft 2 Change: A northern portion of the Highcroft Drive Elementary base that currently is undeveloped is proposed to be reassigned to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle.
Purpose: Will help prevent future overcrowding at Highcroft Drive Elementary.

-Draft 2 Change: Adding currently undeveloped land to the Fuquay-Varina High base.
Purpose: Will help ensure a healthy school population at Fuquay-Varina High. Draft 1 proposal would have reduced Fuquay-Varina High School to 69% capacity in 2023-24.

What’s next?

-Draft 2 marks the final recommendation from staff. Any changes to the proposal going forward would come from the direction of the school board.

-Parents can continue to use our online forum to share feedback and ask questions. Board members and staff will continue to monitor the forum as they work toward a final plan.

-Community members will be able to address the board directly during a public hearing on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.

-If necessary, the board will discuss any additional changes at a work session on the afternoon of Dec. 3. A final vote is expected at the regular board meeting starting at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3.

-Find the thread related to your proposed assignment below. There you can ask questions and provide feedback.

As a reminder: We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

Proposal: Draft 2 continues to recommend that some students attending Banks Road Elementary would be assigned to Smith Magnet Elementary, while middle school students in this same area would be assigned from Holly Grove Middle to North Garner Middle.

Purpose: Reduces overcrowding at Holly Grove Middle and better utilizes both Smith Magnet Elementary and North Garner Middle.

7 Responses

Default_avatar
David Collins about 1 month ago

Virtually no time was spent even discussing the NUMEROUS and valid points we have made in these forums. No consideration was given to the impact this would have on our children and their education.

Link to the 113 posts made opposing this change: https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/proposed-school-assignment-changes-for-2020-21-and-2021-22/topics/proposed-assignments-from-banks-road-elementary-to-smith-magnet-elementary-and-holly-grove-middle-to-north-garner-middle

Due to WCPSS' failure to address or conciser any of our concerns, my two children as of today are fully enrolled in the Charter School program and will remain so through 8th grade. Unlike WCPSS, the Charter schools provide the stability our children need by guaranteeing their attendance K-8th grade.

I recommend all Cyprus Meadow and McCuller's Walk parents consider their Charter School, Magnet School, Private School, and Home School options.

Since WCPSS has "conveniently" re-classified our area as lower income, it may be harder to receive entry into a Magnet School (they have income-based quotas), but that does not impact your Charter School application.

Also, in the last few years, Wake County has established a scholarship program for private schools that may be worth looking into.

Matt,

My previous post was no empty threat. WCPSS has now lost two more current students and one future one. And I suspect (and know) we're not the only ones leaving. You only have yourselves to blame. We were happily in the WCPSS system and there was no reason to pull our children out of Banks ES.

Best of luck to everyone.

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Carolyn Payn 21 days ago

Hi David, would you consider coming to the public hearing tomorrow at 6pm on Dillard Drive (Administrative Building)? One needs to sign up online to speak. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that your contribution would be of huge value for all of us.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Cassandra Reclosado about 1 month ago

David above me has eloquently stated how I feel about this proposal. My children will not be enrolled at, nor will they attend Smith ES. I will be making different arrangements for their education.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Hodges about 1 month ago

Why did our calendar application school change? Fuquay had a new traditional School open and somehow we are still being sent 20 minutes away to Garner. This is wrong!

I'm so confused. Why were we switched from Fuquay-Varina Elementary to Smith Elementary?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Carolyn Payn 29 days ago

I wholeheartedly agree with the points made by David and Cassandra above. Furthermore, as an Organzational Psychologist with many years' experience managing changes to people, systems and processes, I can predict the following with confidence:

I believe this proposal to be a lose-lose scenario for both the communities of McCullers Walk and Cypress Meadows, as well as for WCPSS, based on the 113 comments of concerned parents who have overwhelmingly indicated that they will not be enrolling their children in Smith Elementary for various valid reasons already stated.

What will happen is this: Parents in these communities will find alternative schooling for their children. As a result, a cohesive neighbourhood community will be fractured and BRES will lose many students and parents who are meaningully involved and engaged in school activities and volunteering (since the school is in close proximity to these neighborhoods).

Since the majority of the children in these communities will not be enrolling at Smith, WCPSS will not resolve the issue of populating an underutilised school. So, everyone loses.

I implore you to re-consider the very detailed and well thought out proposal submitted by David Collins in the comment section of the First Draft thread, where the communities of McCullers and Cypress Meadow remain at BRES. I strongly believe that this will be in the best interests of WCPSS and the affected communities.

Thanking you in advance.

4 Votes
Default_avatar
David Collins 28 days ago

Carolyn,

I wholeheartedly agree with your speculation. I can only hope that next year when WCPSS sees that BOTH Smith ES and Banks Rd ES are underutilized that someone will look back at this decision and acknowledge the mistakes they made with this proposal and how easily it could have been modified to better balance the re-distribution of students.

However, I suspect that WCPSS will continue to blindly blame Charter & Private Schools rather than address their own failings.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Carolyn Payn 27 days ago

Thanks David. I'm still hoping and praying for a favourable outcome for our communities.

2 Votes