This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 12/04: The address look-up tool has been updated to reflect all assignment changes.

UPDATE 12/03: The board approved assignment changes for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. The only change made today from Draft 2 is that students reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Turner Creek Elementary will have Baucom Elementary as their traditional calendar application school instead of Green Hope Elementary, as originally opposed. The address look-up tool will be updated to reflect this change tomorrow and then shared with all families in the district.

On Nov. 5, staff presented the Board of Education with Draft 2 of the student enrollment proposal.

The Draft 2 proposal was developed after staff and board members considered feedback and questions from parents gathered over several weeks, both online and at three Open House information sessions.

Here are the changes made from Draft 1 to Draft 2:

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Salem Elementary in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend Turner Creek Elementary.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment and helps ensure Salem Elementary doesn’t get too crowded.

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Brassfield Elementary to Wakefield Elementary are now proposed to remain at Brassfield. Staff plans to make a revised recommendation next year.
Purpose: Draft 1 split the River Run neighborhood. 

Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend West Lake Middle.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment.

-Draft 2 Change: A northern portion of the Highcroft Drive Elementary base that currently is undeveloped is proposed to be reassigned to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle.
Purpose: Will help prevent future overcrowding at Highcroft Drive Elementary.

-Draft 2 Change: Adding currently undeveloped land to the Fuquay-Varina High base.
Purpose: Will help ensure a healthy school population at Fuquay-Varina High. Draft 1 proposal would have reduced Fuquay-Varina High School to 69% capacity in 2023-24.

What’s next?

-Draft 2 marks the final recommendation from staff. Any changes to the proposal going forward would come from the direction of the school board.

-Parents can continue to use our online forum to share feedback and ask questions. Board members and staff will continue to monitor the forum as they work toward a final plan.

-Community members will be able to address the board directly during a public hearing on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.

-If necessary, the board will discuss any additional changes at a work session on the afternoon of Dec. 3. A final vote is expected at the regular board meeting starting at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3.

-Find the thread related to your proposed assignment below. There you can ask questions and provide feedback.

As a reminder: We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

Proposal: Draft 2 continues to recommend that some students attending Wake Forest High would be assigned to Wakefield High.

Purpose: Reduces overcrowding at Wake Forest High while also accounting for future growth, and better utilizes Wakefield High. Additionally, the base attendance area proposed to move to Wakefield High is currently assigned to Wakefield Middle.

15 Responses

Default_avatar
Jamie Schnegelberger about 1 month ago

The problem is you are moving students who are attending Heritage Middle School not just Wakefield. When you assigned our students to a year round elementary, we also chose to keep our kids on the same calendar schedule (as younger siblings) and sent them to Heritage Middle School which is their calendar option. These students have now been together for 9 years, they have invested in sports at Wake Forest, they been taking tours and getting excited to be with their peers for High School. Now you want to take away the community we have built. The families we have built relationships, friendships, worked together in PTA, Booster clubs, and more are being divided. This is a very vulnerable time for our students and making a large move for these kids is hard for them. Please keep the community together. Do not divide our students.

I know at the meeting at Wake field High school we were told to come up with solutions. So why are we asking parents who have invested in Public schools to change and move? Parents who work in the classrooms, involved in the PTA, supporting fundraising, and supported public school teachers and the money stayed in our schools. Why don't we ask the students who are coming from Charter schools and private school when they come back to the public school to go where there is an opening. They have parents who can transport them without issue (they have been doing it for years). They can fill the gaps at Wakefield and let our kids stay together and continue to support community.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Danielle Chipouras about 1 month ago

Jamie, I totally agree and well put!!!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Joseph Sheehan about 1 month ago

We continue to get screwed..... no real other way to put it. Our kids will sit in f’in trailers in the back 50 of Wakefield. Way to go Wake County. Keep adding trailers to make your numbers look “even”..... after feedback? What a joke

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Melissa Bouyounan about 1 month ago

I’m truly trying to understand why you think it’s ok to destroy the small population of Year Round students and their families. Throughout NFP and Heritage Middle School we have built our network. These children have created bonds for years on end and you expect them to act as if this is ok? This will have social and academic repercussions. My daughter has a group at HMS of more than a dozen. These girls are split down the middle with half going to Heritage High and the other half Wake Forest High. With your proposal my daughter is the only one being sent to Wakefield- THE. ONLY. ONE. This is already causing her undue stress.

You asked for solutions- Year Round kids should be the exception. Kids transferring from charters and privates should fill in gaps and empty seats with no seniority or priorities. Distance should be relevant- regardless of “county” schools, you shouldn’t be wasting gas and manpower to shuffle kids miles out of the way.

We , as parents, have lots of solutions. Which ones are you going to actually listen to??

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Joseph Sheehan about 1 month ago

Oh and if anyone is looking for a house that was supposedly going to Wake Forest HS but is now being redistricted to a B-C rated school (except it got an A for diversity.... I wonder why) please reach out me. I will be selling one real cheap.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Marc Wachter about 1 month ago

This is an appeal to all School Board members and those involved with the draft and decision-making process. Undoubtedly your task is not an easy one. I am remiss in not having provided commentary previously. I had to allow the emotion of the event pass so as to focus on the recourse and pay attention to what would change if this occurred.

As a parent of a Junior I am thankful for the ability for my child to be grandfathered. At the same time, over the course of his time there we have become "vested" in the school itself - its people, its walls, its students, its administration - strangers become friends, friends become family. While we that are being re-assigned are a small contingent, we have a large impact on the school - I myself am the proud President of the Athletic Booster Club and Vice President of the JROTC Booster Club. In the course of a year we have done great things, inspired great people, developed UNITY within our community. The plan, as it applies to Wake Forest, Wakefield, and Heritage seems to want to divide those communities more than unify; which I believe would be counterintuitive to the School Board's mission. My youngest son is in 5th grade. I will serve out my terms involved with the School next year and I look forward with great anticipation to returning again in 4 years with my younger son to once again participate and see the strength and growth of these programs. If the bonds and community are given no credence, then at least the proximity of our residences to the school should; Wake Forest HS resides 5.3 miles from Monthaven Drive, Shingleback and others along Purnell Road; Wakefield is 7 miles. While not a significant delta, the routes our driving students would have to take to get to school puts them at more considerable risk.

I ask that the Board consider that we are not numbers, quotas, or lines on a map but vested, active members of a community that want to reap what we have sown as these younger siblings grow - grow into the shirts, baseball caps, jerseys, hoodies...networks and friendships that their older siblings developed, fostered, and nurtured during their time as Cougars - it is difficult to say #alwaysacougar and then have to tell them they're not.

From our eyes as parents we see that the younger siblings learn the buildings, the people, the environment of their predecessors; does this not allay their fears of a "new school"? is there not some psychological comfort in knowing "this is where my older brother/sister went"? Is there something not reassuring in hearing a teacher say "oh, I had your brother/sister in my class"? As a SCHOOL Board surely the psychological aspect of the education of our students is weighted heavily in these matters - and it doesn't come down to numbers and populations.

In conclusion, what exists today is "UNITY in Community" - whether that be at Wake Forest, Heritage, or Wakefield. Under this facet of the proposed assignment there is "division in revision"...

alwaysacougar

Marc Wachter President, Wake Forest High School Athletic Booster Club Vice President, Wake Forest Army JROTC Booster Club (only one) Former Chair, Academy of Construction and Design Careers (ACDC)

3 Votes

Bootstrap_10159019377217588
Rebecca Houston 24 days ago

I am writing this letter on behalf of my daughter. She is currently a student at Heritage Middle School and is one of the students you failed to consider when drafting this proposal. I promised her I would do all I could to help her so here it goes.

I share the thoughts of several others whose kids attended North Forest Pines and who chose to exercise their calendar option and attend Heritage Middle School. My daughter will be an 8th grader next year and has made many close friendships over these last 8 years. She is already concerned about the possibility of being separated from these friends as she is the only one of her friends that will be affected. This is a lot to put on these kids as the transition to high school can be a rough one all on it's own. I remember several years back, around 2006-2007, there was a great emphasis placed on freshman and easing their transition to high school. Wakefield created a freshmen center and as a teacher at the time, I was involved with the freshmen academy. Part of our job was making sure we did all we could to provide these students a common group of teachers so that we could track their progress and support them to be successful as ninth graders. We wanted to help them get a strong start to high school and hopefully, to increase their odds of making it to graduation. This proposal seems to contradict that approach. I think the emotional well being of these students and the affect this decision will have on them should be considered.

We actually live closer to Wake Forest than Wakefield. Eventually my daughter will drive to school and the traffic route she would take to Wake Forest is not as busy and congested as the route to Wakefield would be. I have also begun looking at the classes, programs and clubs offered at both schools. There are several things offered at Wake Forest that are not offered at Wakefield. My daughter loves music and has been involved in choir since elementary school. She is currently a member of the HMS Patriot Pride Honor Choir. She would love to continue with choir in high school. As I looked at each school and what is offered, there is a difference and several of the chorus classes at Wakefield were listed as "not currently offered" or are strictly extracurricular and not for a grade. This was not the case at Wake Forest High School. WFHS also offers a music honor society which I know would be of interest to my daughter. This is not offered at Wakefield High School (WHS). Choir is what she enjoys and I would hate to see her limited by a choice made for her about where she attends school. There is also a women in STEM club at WFHS and my daughter would like to study marine biology so this would be of interest to her, but it is not offered at Wakefield.

I would love to offer suggestions to this situation as many others have. My husband is a data scientist and he would be more than happy to offer viable solutions if you were able to provide/offer the data you used to make your decisions. What are your goals? What is the methodology that you used for your current optimization? The parents affected can offer suggestions all day, but if they are not in line with what your goals are, this is all meaningless.

I respect that your position is not an easy one, but please do not placate us by asking for solutions that we can only make blindly without your data and methodology. Please do right by these kids and allow them to stay at WFHS. For what it's worth, I do agree with others that have suggested that the kids in year around school be allowed to attend WFHS and that anyone moving here or leaving a charter or private school should be subject to whatever boundaries you have drawn at that time.

Thank you for your time. I hope you will consider my thoughts as I did not make my comments without a lot of time and consideration.

Sincerely, Rebecca Houston

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Brian Gackstetter 21 days ago

Our subdivision was built in 1995 and has been assigned to Wake Forest HS since and is closer than Wakefield. My concern is the level of education that my children will receive at Wakefield. My oldest son attended Wakefield schools and we moved because of the bullying at these schools and the lack of administrative assistance. I lack the confidence of the data and we need to see the proof of the data behind these changes. I’ve lived in another area and they redisticted several times between Millbrook and Wakefield. I suggest that staff look at the model that was done with Wakefield several years ago with the 9th grade center. There’s vacant space in the area that can support this model. Before the board votes to make this change and uproot hundreds of families who have been a part of the Wake Forest High School community for decades at this point. These are critical years in the development of a child and the changes presented need to be addressed to maintain that continuity. If you look further into the data, most children in this area feed into North Forest Pines and Heritage Middle and not Forest Pines and Wakefield. Let’s present all of the data and make a sound decision and not one based on excuse that these kids feed into Wakefield Middle so let’s change it to Wakefield High. We have options for a reason and many chose the alternatives because of the education provided. Wake County needs to address the problem with kids aging out of charter schools and coming back to the public school system.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
tony denton 21 days ago

If Wake Forest HS is so overcrowded, why not move the Raleigh students out and leave the Wake Forest students in. The students that live in Raleigh pass Millbrook, Wakefield and Heritage to get to Wake Forest. I would think they would be better served by attending a school nearer to their home. These students live in an area bounded by Capital Blvd., East Millbrook Rd,, 401 highway and New Hope Rd. (the mini city area of Raleigh). To me, a disservice is being done to these students by having them travel up to WF to attend high school. There natural attendance are would appear to be Millbrook.

Also, the area subject to move from WF to Wakefield has been moved 2 or 3 times in prior years. How many times do you have to move students to get it right?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 21 days ago

Tony, we checked one neighborhood in this area, Crescent Ridge, and it has had one elementary change in last 5 years and one high school change in last 10. We try to minimize reassignments, even in areas like this that continue to grow.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Natalie Vogt 20 days ago

I currently have a son who is a ninth grader at Wake Forest High School. He is very active in JROTC and Raiders Competition. Besides his friends that he went to school with at Heritage Middle School, he has made some really good friends through JROTC. Wakefield does not offer JROTC. My son refuses to go to Wakefield. I also have a son who is a 7th grader at Heritage Middle School and it sounds like he would not be grandfathered. He does not want to go to Wakefield either. Like other parents, I am concerned about the selection of classes & activities, the bullying issue, administrations, etc. at Wakefield. Several parents have offered solutions like moving the Raleigh students who live past Millbrook, Wakefield & Heritage from Wake Forest School to Wakefield and/or allowing the children who go to Heritage Middle School to go to Wake Forest High School & provide transportation or to have children who are coming in from private or charter schools go to Wakefield. This makes more sense unless you have more than the overcrowding agenda. I agree with the other parents in allowing us to see the data you are looking at. The trend in our neighborhood seems to be more retirees moving in than children. With the area you have picked to move from WFHS to Wakefield, I don't see how you would have enough to make a difference in the overcrowding. From the information on the website, it doesn't look like it is going to solve the issue of overcrowding. It looks like it would just shift the over capacity from WFHS to Wakefield in 20/21. 107% to 95% WFHS & 115% (93% with trailers) to 130% (105% with trailers) utilization for Wakefield. How is this really solving the overcrowding issue with the area you selected. There has to be an area that is going to have more of an impact that will not effect the existing kids from HMS and already at WFHS. I think this is more than just an overcrowding issue that has not been communicated. We would really like to see all the numbers that back this up. Even though you are saying existing WFHS can be grandfathered, this creates a hardship when transportation is not provided. I am addressing this not just for our children, but their friends, our neighbors, and the children whose parents will be forced to switch then because they need transportation because they both work. I would hope that you would reconsider this proposal and remove it from consideration. Thank you.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Jamie Ragan 20 days ago

My in-laws, mother and I all purchased land in Wake Forest and built homes in the last few years with the expectation that my sons would go to Wake Forest High School. As many parents do, we intentionally invested in our area for the schools our children would attend. I have one son currently at WFHS and a 7th grader at HMS. I understand that my son currently in WFHS can be grandfathered in but will my 7th grader also be grandfathered? While this offers some solution, there will be no transportation for my children. WFHS is where we have invested our time and expectations for our children. It is physically closer than Wakefield High School. In addition, our children have been going to school with classmates for years. They have developed relationships with this children and deserve to finish out their school years with these kids. In addition to academics, developing social skills and bonds with other children is a fundamentally important aspect of school. Do not take that away from our kids. This will be a huge setback for so many kids. And as a taxpayer who has invested significant capital, recruited family to the area who also invested money and we all pay taxes, we deserve to be heard and understood. We are paying for these schools and picked the area we are in based on WFHS. Please leave our kids in WFHS.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Melanie Caborn 20 days ago

I agree with all the responses posted above. My family, as many have already mentioned, purposely selected where we would live based on the schools that my children were assigned to, including Wake Forest High School. My son went to North Forest Pines and continued onto Heritage Middle School because of the year round calendar. He is currently in 7th grade. He has developed friendships over the years having many of the same children in his classes year after year. As a parent, raising your child in this world as a responsible citizen is not an easy task. There are many fears as your children get older in regards to the things, people, and pressures they will encounter. I have always taught him to choose his friends wisely. I am always thankful that I know his friends and their families because we have spent many years together in school and have a comfort knowing who my son is hanging out with. If he is forced to move to a new school, there will be no continuity whatsoever. The transition to high school is a huge one in itself. Why should these children suffer having to make new friends on top of it? I am very concerned about the bullying issue and lack of administration caring at Wakefield High School. There have been enough newsworthy events from this school to make me question the type of school it is even before my son was potentially being forced to go there. Also, Wake Forest High offers an Academy for Construction Design Careers (Wakefield does not-only offers a drafting class). Architecture and Design is an area that my son is interested in. Knowing they have a program for this career path was very exciting. If he is forced to move to Wakefield, he would not have this opportunity to determine if this would be a career choice he wanted to move towards. Please hear the parents that are expressing concerns and consider our students. They are not just a number.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Danielle Chipouras 20 days ago

I agree with everyone above, we are in the same boat, as for moving to WF for a reasons and wanting to go to WFHS not Wake field!!! My son is in 8th grade at Heritage middle, all kids go to WFHS or Heritage. I was at the meeting weeks ago and I am going to the meeting with Roxie and Heather from the board tomorrow to discuss this with all the others that got an email from them as well to discuss keeping our kids going to WFHS. We are very opposed to this change and it would be awful to disrupt our neighborhood and relationships built for over 10 years.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jennifer Crank 18 days ago

I have 3 comments to make: 1. A request - If the proposal to change some WFHS addresses to Wakefield HS, passes, I request that neighborhood busing to WFHS continue for 3 more years for our "grandfathered" students. Having parents provide transportation is just one more burden placed upon us, after taking our school away. 2. The number one criterion for purchasing a new home for my family has been what school will my children attend. It is extremely frustrating to buy a home, build a life, have one's children build friendships and ties with classmates just to have it all change because of poor planning by our local leaders. Wake Forest High School is closer to my home than Wakefield. 3. My son is a freshman and a member of the JROTC at WFHS. Wakefield does NOT have a JROTC program. The change of WFHS to Wakefield HS is unacceptable in my opinion for many reasons but not having the important program of JROTC for my son is the most important reason I want my children to continue to have WFHS as our base high school.

0 Votes