This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 12/04: The address look-up tool has been updated to reflect all assignment changes.

UPDATE 12/03: The board approved assignment changes for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. The only change made today from Draft 2 is that students reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Turner Creek Elementary will have Baucom Elementary as their traditional calendar application school instead of Green Hope Elementary, as originally opposed. The address look-up tool will be updated to reflect this change tomorrow and then shared with all families in the district.

On Nov. 5, staff presented the Board of Education with Draft 2 of the student enrollment proposal.

The Draft 2 proposal was developed after staff and board members considered feedback and questions from parents gathered over several weeks, both online and at three Open House information sessions.

Here are the changes made from Draft 1 to Draft 2:

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Salem Elementary in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend Turner Creek Elementary.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment and helps ensure Salem Elementary doesn’t get too crowded.

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Brassfield Elementary to Wakefield Elementary are now proposed to remain at Brassfield. Staff plans to make a revised recommendation next year.
Purpose: Draft 1 split the River Run neighborhood. 

Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend West Lake Middle.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment.

-Draft 2 Change: A northern portion of the Highcroft Drive Elementary base that currently is undeveloped is proposed to be reassigned to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle.
Purpose: Will help prevent future overcrowding at Highcroft Drive Elementary.

-Draft 2 Change: Adding currently undeveloped land to the Fuquay-Varina High base.
Purpose: Will help ensure a healthy school population at Fuquay-Varina High. Draft 1 proposal would have reduced Fuquay-Varina High School to 69% capacity in 2023-24.

What’s next?

-Draft 2 marks the final recommendation from staff. Any changes to the proposal going forward would come from the direction of the school board.

-Parents can continue to use our online forum to share feedback and ask questions. Board members and staff will continue to monitor the forum as they work toward a final plan.

-Community members will be able to address the board directly during a public hearing on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.

-If necessary, the board will discuss any additional changes at a work session on the afternoon of Dec. 3. A final vote is expected at the regular board meeting starting at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3.

-Find the thread related to your proposed assignment below. There you can ask questions and provide feedback.

As a reminder: We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 11/14: The public hearing will be held as part of the regular board meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 19. The meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. and the public hearing is expected to begin around 6 p.m. You can sign up starting at noon on Tuesday. The sign up form will be posted here.

14 Responses

Default_avatar
Parvinder Kaur 20 days ago

Hi Matt, the link does not allow for sign-up. can you please check.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 20 days ago
0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa JB 20 days ago

Yes, having the same trouble. Link is not active for sign up.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ann Gooch 20 days ago

Same comment. Link is not active.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ann Gooch 20 days ago

new link - second box down, now works. thanks

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Sorry y'all! My fault.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Parvinder Kaur 20 days ago

Thanks Matt!!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Natalie Vogt 20 days ago

Will the school board members see the comments from the online forum? I am unable to attend tonight, but would like my voice and all others who are not able to attend to be heard. I oppose the WFHS to Wakefield reassignment plan. I commented on that discussion. Thank you.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Yes, board members have been monitoring the forum and will continue to do so.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa JB 19 days ago

Board Members –

I attended last nights meeting/public hearing. I have to say that I wish I was not number 6 on the speaker agenda. By the time my turn came I wanted to throw out my speech and speak to you based on what I heard from the 5 people in front of me. I was so flustered by these thoughts I can honestly say that I don’t know what message I presented. I’m thankful that I printed my thoughts and passed them out to you, so you knew what I wanted to say originally but by the time my turn came a common theme became apparent. As I sat through the next dozen plus speakers it became glaring that your model for “County Schools” is old and worn out, tired, out of date and without thought for today’s families. Your current dynamic is not what it was 20, 30 or 40 years ago. The climate of todays Wake County has become a world of transplants. All these people who have moved here whether be business transfer or by choice came from places where neighborhoods and the local schools are life. Proximity mattered…or at least it did. Your County School model may have been great in the 70s and 80s but it’s not working anymore. Your customers are the families who live and work here. They make their homes in their neighborhoods and their friends and network within the schools and activities that surround them. Every time you redistrict and shake up a neighborhood you are creating a damage that is lasting. I sat and listened last night to families from across this whole county repeat the same thing – You are ostracizing their children. Can you even imagine how far reaching your damage is? A parent with an autistic child that now will have to start from ground zero to form bonds that took years to accomplish. Years of that were already filled with milestone challenges and trouble forming a routine. There were families that live 1.5 miles from their school and you’re going to send them to a school now 30 minutes away? How is that looking out for the children? The families? You profess that the growth is making you do it, but I heard over and over again how your projections are giving people who haven’t even moved in priority over those who already live here. Do you know what that says to your Wake County families? It says you don’t matter. It says don’t trust us. I live on the most northern portion of Wake County bordering the Youngsville/Grandville line and I listened to families in the most southern part of Wake County tell the same story I’m living. Your changes are wreaking havoc. Your concern is selfish and unthoughtful. Your bottom line has nothing to do with concern for the families that live here or what they need. This is a public school system and in most parts of this Country it’s children and families first. Here it seems we’re at the bottom of your priority list. I’ve spoken about academic and social impact. Based on what I saw last night I am not alone in my plight. As parents we are taught that routine with our children builds trust. Your constant redistricting throws trust out the window. You do realize that this bubble is going to burst, don’t you? The tides are changing and ever so slightly each time you break the trust of a neighborhood, split a school, evict students, exclude a group, destroy a network you are ensuring at some point that you will be voted out, that the schools will lose numbers, that the people who have the choice to move away will and those who have the option will transfer out. Your reputation, as I’ve said before, is becoming tarnished and the talk amongst parents, your customers, is that this is not the place to be. You cannot trust Wake County to have your child’s best interest or yours. I asked in my letter to you last night to consider proximity. “I know that the word “neighborhood schools” is taboo and not to be spoken of, but what about radius’? Why not set mileage limits to bus transport? Why is the county not split in half or into quadrants?
You have 1 Superintendent, 9 Area Superintendents and 5 Assistant Superintendents. The lines have already been drawn, yet you aren’t following them at all?” Why is it ok to zone your staff but the schools are a free for all at your whim? This county is huge. This is a serious request and clearly a serious problem. Your disregard for us and our needs is disappointing. We, as parents, families, teachers, educated businesspeople have many ideas on how to make this better. When are you going to start caring about what your doing to us and stop working against us?

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Heather Balsley 18 days ago

Melissa, Thank you for articulating the frustration of so many families across our county so eloquently. We are in the same boat. I would sincerely appreciate an opportunity to discuss this wide spread disregard for student stability across Wake County with you. Please email me at hmbalsley@gmail.com

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Tim Manhardt at November 25, 2019 at 6:23pm EST

Thanks for two business days notice for this important opportunity....yes, there is sarcasm here.

0 Votes