This Discussion channel is currently closed.

UPDATE 12/04: The address look-up tool has been updated to reflect all assignment changes.

UPDATE 12/03: The board approved assignment changes for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. The only change made today from Draft 2 is that students reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Turner Creek Elementary will have Baucom Elementary as their traditional calendar application school instead of Green Hope Elementary, as originally opposed. The address look-up tool will be updated to reflect this change tomorrow and then shared with all families in the district.

On Nov. 5, staff presented the Board of Education with Draft 2 of the student enrollment proposal.

The Draft 2 proposal was developed after staff and board members considered feedback and questions from parents gathered over several weeks, both online and at three Open House information sessions.

Here are the changes made from Draft 1 to Draft 2:

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Highcroft Drive Elementary to Salem Elementary in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend Turner Creek Elementary.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment and helps ensure Salem Elementary doesn’t get too crowded.

-Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Brassfield Elementary to Wakefield Elementary are now proposed to remain at Brassfield. Staff plans to make a revised recommendation next year.
Purpose: Draft 1 split the River Run neighborhood. 

Draft 2 Change: Students who were proposed to be reassigned from Fuquay-Varina Middle to North Garner Middle in Draft 1 are now proposed to attend West Lake Middle.
Purpose: Provides these families with a more proximate school assignment.

-Draft 2 Change: A northern portion of the Highcroft Drive Elementary base that currently is undeveloped is proposed to be reassigned to Carpenter Elementary and Alston Ridge Middle.
Purpose: Will help prevent future overcrowding at Highcroft Drive Elementary.

-Draft 2 Change: Adding currently undeveloped land to the Fuquay-Varina High base.
Purpose: Will help ensure a healthy school population at Fuquay-Varina High. Draft 1 proposal would have reduced Fuquay-Varina High School to 69% capacity in 2023-24.

What’s next?

-Draft 2 marks the final recommendation from staff. Any changes to the proposal going forward would come from the direction of the school board.

-Parents can continue to use our online forum to share feedback and ask questions. Board members and staff will continue to monitor the forum as they work toward a final plan.

-Community members will be able to address the board directly during a public hearing on Nov. 19 at 6 p.m.

-If necessary, the board will discuss any additional changes at a work session on the afternoon of Dec. 3. A final vote is expected at the regular board meeting starting at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3.

-Find the thread related to your proposed assignment below. There you can ask questions and provide feedback.

As a reminder: We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

Small2_wshs_01

Address: 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
Proposed Grades: 9-10 for first year, 9-11 second year, 9-12 third year and going forward
Calendar: Traditional
Description: 110 classrooms, with a student capacity of about 2,300. Currently serving as swing space for Fuquay-Varina High.

Under the proposal, the base attendance area for the new Willow Spring High would be made up of students currently in the Fuquay-Varina base attendance area. The proposal also calls for some students in the Holly Springs High base attendance area to be assigned to the Fuquay-Varina High attendance area. This would help relieve crowding at Holly Springs High.

Please share your questions and feedback about this proposal in the thread below.

82 Responses

Default_avatar
Tim Manhardt about 1 month ago

Where is the supporting documentation (PPT) for Draft 2?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

I can't open file that's been posted to eboards, maybe you'll have better luck: https://assistive.eboardsolutions.com/meetings/TempFolder/Meetings/BOE%20WORK%20SESSION%2011_5_19_%202020-2021%20WCPSS%20ENROLLMENT%20PLAN%20-%20DRAFT%202_%20PRESENTATION_194854i3bq3xjxg1zsitykapy5slb2.pdf

I will be posting the PDF to the site as soon as I get a version that's manageable.

You can watch the meeting here in the meantime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoHydwdodfg&t=56m15s

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Thanks Matt! I can't open it either... "Max Size" error

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Will get on it ASAP

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Here ya go. Sorry about that. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40944

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Thank you Matt! :)

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10218282549607088
MaryAnn Louw about 1 month ago

I want to see a clear map of where the lines are drawn. Looking at the lookup site does nothing. If you are going to impact our children we have a right to know exactly where the lines are drawn. I want to see a clearer map than what is being shown for proposal 2. The map for Proposal 1 was much more clear.

0 Votes

The maps in proposal 2 are very unclear when will we get more detailed maps of exactly where the changes are happening?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Was transportation involved in this proposal?

There are some significant safety impacts for students previously assigned to Holly Springs who are being reassigned to Fuquay Varina in this plan. In particular for those families West of Piney Grove Wilbon Rd. Ask the bus drivers what it's like trying to turn left onto Pine Grove Wilbon (northward) and left onto Wilbon Rd (Eastward) off of Piney Grove Wilbon Rd. Very dangerous at commute time. Now you're adding Student drivers to the mix? Yikes! Oh, and check the development plan for that road....major construction is on the way soon enough on Wilbon for the extension of Judd Pkwy as well as a major widening of Piney Grove Wilbon. This reassignment is ahead of infrastructure readiness.

8 Votes

So not one of our developments was removed from the first mapping but you did move dirt by including new developments. Yeah they listened to only 1/2 our message. I am saddened that the people who are supposed to care about our children, their safety, their well being obviously don't care at all. Seems like they only care about making their numbers. I I am surprised this is even legal. Our children are not just pawns or numbers. This proposal like the first one does not make any sense. Our developments off of Cass Holt road should be mapped to HSHS. WCPSS does not care about your children if you live in small communities. It seems that is their goal to hit the small developments instead of bigger ones. I can see why people are removing their children from the public schools in Wake County. This proposal is just wrong you didn't listen to any of us. Wonder why you even have this forum if you don't care or seriously listen to what our concerns are. The feeder school HGMS should feed into HSHS. Use 55 as the dividing line. It makes more sense than this mess. Literally right across the street from us is mapped to HSHS. How can our very small developments help you make your numbers? This is not right.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

MaryAnn, a map showing current and proposed base attendance areas can be found on page 66 of Draft 2 proposal, while a more detailed map of the proposed attendance areas is on page 87. Attached them both for your convenience.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Here are the images

0 Votes

Thank you Matt these are better.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

MaryAnn, there are only minor changes to the proposed reassignments related to the opening of Willow Springs, affecting a very small number of students. The best way to see if there have been any changes for your address is to use the updated address look-up tool. https://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/proposalSecondDraft/index.php

0 Votes

Yes unfortunately they are minor. But I still want to see a clear map. Do any of the board members even read this message board? Doesn't seem like they do because they obviously didn't listen to any of the concerns on this forum. I would also like to know what was used to determine what areas were in/out of the HSHS area.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Tommy Ba about 1 month ago

So the area past the Avocet community, which is further away from HSHS is now zoned for HSHS because this area is just “dirt” and the children who live in the Avocet are being moved to FVHS. I ask all the members of the school board to look at how it affects real children and families not as percentages on a powerpoint. The safety and well-being of real children should be the concern here. Having new teen drivers as well as the buses traversing major intersections at busy times is unsafe and dangerous. Don’t wait for a tragedy to happen. Keep the Avocet in HSHS so our children will be safe commuting 1.5 miles down a single lane road rather than 6.5 miles through some of the worst intersections in Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina. Rezone dirt not children

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Diana Johnston about 1 month ago

So, people that don't yet exist in this area are getting preference over existing families, families that have been here for years? How is this logical? How is this fair? How does it make sense to add to the district non existent homes and take away homes that have been in the district for years?
To quote last night's meeting:

"The hard thing is there are so many of these communities are like just outside of that that are being impacted and it’s really hard to you know they can see the lights and hear the game from their subdivision."

"And that’s the difficulty when we have explosive growth and trying to provide approximate schools"

No, this is not difficult. The approximate school already exists. We are 2 miles from Holly Springs High School. That is our approximate school. Fuquay High School and Willow Springs High Schools are not approximate. None of this makes any sense and is an extreme burden to Holly Springs families.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Prestipino about 1 month ago

My question is in regards to splitting siblings. I have 3 children. The oldest is Class of 2023 and is currently a freshman at FVHS in the WSHS building. The other two are Class of 2026 and Class of 2029. This reassignment plan covers my 2023 kid and says he will go back to the renovated FVHS for the 2021-22 school year as a Junior. But for the next (2022-23) school year (not covered in your proposal), my 2023 kid will be a senior at FVHS and my 2026 kid will be a freshman at WSHS. Will that automatically be approved to move my 2026 kid to FVHS with the senior who will already be there? And then what will happen in 2025-2026 when my 2026 kid is a senior and my 2029 kid is a freshman?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Kelly, please call 919-431-7333 to talk to a student assignment representative. Always best to talk to them with specific questions like this.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Thomas Beam about 1 month ago

Since the proposal to move some Holly Springs High Students to Fuquay Varina High and Willow Springs High seems to be happening due to new developments that have yet to be built, why not at least grandfather in those students that are already at Holly Springs High School and not force them to move beginning of their junior or senior year? We were told 2 years ago that we could not transfer to the Fuquay schools because of crowding issues and now we are being moved to Fuquay schools because they need to make the new Fuquay High school look less empty. Makes no sense.

1 Vote
Bootstrap_10154661024325356
Jennifer Jones about 1 month ago

Under the rules published for draft 1, all students at HSHS could grandfather until they left. My son will be in 10th for 21-22 and it appeared he would grandfather to graduate from t here. Did somethign change?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

I am not sure if anything has changed or not. So much confusion I just put this out there to make sure that was still the case. I haven't seen a "your child will definitely be able to grandfather in."

0 Votes

Default_avatar

All students whose assignments are proposed to change from an existing school to an existing school (i.e. Wake Forest High to Wakefield High) are eligible to grandfather and remain at their current school. Rising 9th graders are eligible to grandfather if they have an older sibling attending the school. They will be able to stay through the exit grade. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period Dec. 11-20. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation.

This just says they are eligible but I don't see any definites

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Thomas, my previous comment failed to account for this change taking place in two years. The grandfathering period for this particular change likely will be next December. Again, we will notify eligible families and your request would be approved. So sorry for any confusion.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Hu about 1 month ago

If an existing student is proposed to move from HSHS to FVHS in 2021-2022, would the grandfathering application be done in December 2020, as opposed to this year? Would all grandfather applications be approved if submitted during the window?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Yes, it would be done in December 2020. Yes, they would all be approved.

2 Votes

Bootstrap_10154854145307617
Laura Bishop about 1 month ago

I share in the disappointment that the consistent feedback and concerns shared by multiple parents was ignored in Draft 2, particularly regarding the areas west of Piney Grove Wilbon Rd which have direct access to Cass Holt and HSHS. I watched the video of the work session and I am displeased with the lack of support from our board representative to challenge assignment staff regarding these concerns. I know that no one wants to change schools and someone has to populate new schools. However these assignment zones are ill-conceived based on proximity, population growth and current infrastructure/traffic.

At this point in time, I understand that it would be unfair to impact different areas and blindside new families that were not originally affected in Draft 1. However, these assignment changes are still two years away. It is premature to make decisions now. A lot will change in this rapidly-growing part of the county in one year, much less two. I urge the Board to table the assignments for WSHS/FVHS/HSHS, go back to the drawing board over the next year and come back with new proposals next year that can take into account the valid feedback provided this year.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Regarding traffic safety and infrastructure West of Piney Grove Wilbon...see attached.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Great information Tim, I would advise everyone to screenshot/print that and keep it.

2 Votes

Wow Tim, Thank you for providing that information. It really puts it into perspective and backs up what all of us have been saying to see those numbers.

3 Votes

Yes thank you Tim for the information. It really puts reality behind what we have been saying the past few weeks.

1 Vote

I urge the board to table this for another year. Laura is correct. There are other areas that would have an easier time getting to FV. We live in our neighborhood of Avocet. As with all the communities west of Piney Grove we know the roads and the safety issues of those roads and the route that our new drivers will be taking. Tim posted astounding numbers posted by NC DOT. Comparing the likelihood of our children being in an accident. Please look at these numbers.

Selecting communities via a map is dangerous. We know the roads we live here. The staff that selected our development is looking at a map and statistics. These numbers scare me as a parent of one of those new drivers. They will get worse as congestion builds and roads are widened with even more traffic than today. Please LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS! I hope and pray that our new drivers will be safe but if you do decide to go through with this then know that we the parents of all of these developments (that are small and really don't help your numbers) are going to remember that we told you about the risk and that you chose to ignore it.

https://speakup-us-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/5dc38e29442538a4ae0052c2/Screenshot_20191106-212215.png

2 Votes
Default_avatar

For accountability reasons, everyone needs to memorialize these threads (just in case) before they “disappear “. If the wake county school board is so interested in percentages they should take a look at those accident numbers. Don’t say you were never made aware! Don’t put our kids in harms way for your population percentages, do the right thing for the children.

3 Votes

Another consideration that I did not realize until I watched the work session is that another High school is slated to be built and opened in 2024, located on Stephenson Rd between Apex and Holly Springs (https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3925?pid=222). By that time most of the grandfathered students will have moved through HSHS and it would make sense that students in the northeast HSHS attendance area closer to THAT school (such as the Sunset Lake/Holly Springs Rd area) would go there instead of coming all the way thru town and across 55 to HSHS. They said the new school is to alleviate crowding at Apex Friendship so who know how those maps will be drawn but it makes sense to look at the bigger picture including that upcoming school and what its base area will be 3 years later. It just makes no sense for families that are very close and on the same side of major roadways not to be assigned to the most proximate school instead of crossing paths across town.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

I almost drafted this same message last night... Defer any change to families West of Piney Grove Wilbon until H12 lines are drawn. My gut tells me we won't need to be moved. The question that would be great to answered is:

Matt or someone else from Student Assignment please answer this question.

How many students are being reassigned in Draft 2 from Holly Springs High to Fuquay High that live West of Piney Grove Wilbon for 2021-2022 school year?

5 Votes

Exactly. Because chances are the majority of those current students will choose to grandfather at HSHS so it will not change the enrollment numbers for 3-4 years anyway.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

The following questions have not been answered. See items above for original date/time of these questions.

How many students are being reassigned in Draft 2 from Holly Springs High to Fuquay High that live West of Piney Grove Wilbon for 2021-2022 school year?

2 Votes

MaryAnn Louw 28 days ago

Can someone please supply the location of the Nov 19 board meeting? I hope everyone is there that night.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 28 days ago

5625 Dillard Drive, Cary

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 27 days ago

MaryAnn, board members are reviewing forum feedback. As for the new high school opening in 2024, that will not allow us to relieve crowding at Holly Springs High due to the high levels of current and future crowding at Apex Friendship High.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Tim Manhardt 28 days ago

Are these questions from above being investigated or should I expect no response?

The following questions have not been answered. See items above for original date/time of these questions.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Tim, thanks for your patience. We don't have the data broken down by those specific geographic boundaries. We are proposing to change the assignments of about 400 Holly Springs High students. As you know, all of those would be eligible to grandfather.

As for your second question, we always consider proximity when proposing assignment changes. We are proposing to move students from among the easternmost portions of the Holly Springs High base attendance area. These areas are the ones closest to Fuquay-Varina High that would provide sufficient future crowding relief to Holly Springs High, while also ensuring a healthy student population at Fuquay-Varina High in coming years.

0 Votes
MaryAnn Louw 27 days ago

Matt has the board looked at the NC DOT numbers that we posted regarding how much more dangerous our kids commute will become? Please make sure you show them those stats! These are real numbers posted by NC DOT. Add on infrastructure changes with road construction. The young drivers from the developments west of Piney Grove will have to drive these very dangerous routes. They are not safe now never mind with all the growth in this area. Looking at a map does not give you the best picture. Just using "miles" is not sufficient. There are many other factors that we the parents know because we LIVE here we know the roads. Also, they are building another High School in Apex/HS area only 2 years behind this proposal. That will help with the future crowding relief to HSH. I suggest that they remove all kids west of Piney Grove from this proposal. If not we the parents will remember that shared these NC DOT numbers with you all and that you decided to ignore the facts. I really hope the board re-visits their decision for the safety and well being of our children.

3 Votes

MaryAnn Louw 27 days ago

One more comment... Why is Avocet and the other Cass Holt Subdivisions mapped to FVHS and right across the darn street they are mapped to HSHS literally feet away. Our closest school is HSHS not FVHS.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Tommy Ba 27 days ago

Easternmost? What about the newly reassigned “dirt” that is east of the Avocet and it’s zoned HSHS? Did anyone take into account North and South?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Tommy Ba 27 days ago

I had my teen driver try the route from the Avocet to FVHS yesterday. I can tell you there is no way I would ever feel comfortable letting any new driver take this route it is very dangerous. The numerous commercial trucks on Piney Grove Wilbon and on 55 was scary. The winding roads and dangerous intersections were only some of the perils that await. It also took over 20 minutes longer to get there vs HSHS and that was on a holiday. It is incredulous that anyone would purposely choose to put children at risk when the school they currently attend is a much safer drive for the new drivers and the buses.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Tommy, the areas proposed to change assignment are the closest that are densely populated enough to provide sufficient relief to Holly Springs.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Tommy Ba 27 days ago

How do you know that when you stated you don’t have numbers on specific areas? Is this a guess? Can you say how many kids in the Avocet are affected?

0 Votes

MaryAnn Louw 27 days ago

To everyone here if you want to speak at the 11/19 board meeting about the second draft of this proposal to voice your concerns, you can sign up to speak at the meeting. Here is the link. Sign up starts at noon of the day of the meeting (next Tuesday) to 5 PM. Please make sure you sign up so that you can voice your concerns directly to the board members.

https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3727

1 Vote

Default_avatar
CT Hmpsn 26 days ago

Is there a way to determine how many students currently assigned to FVHS as their base school will be reassigned to Willow Springs HS for two years only, then back to FVHS? I am concerned about the extra movement between schools for two stints of two years. How was this arrangement determined? I understand grandfathering is an option. If a student is currently enrolled in 7th grade for the 2019-2020 school year, I would like to confirm the grandfathering application window would actually be for December 2020, not December 2019. Also, if Draft2 proposes a student leave their 2019/2020 Base Assignment HS (FV in this case) and be reassigned to Willow Springs as the new base for 21/22 and 22/23, will there be an option to grandfather Willow Springs if happy there instead of moving again for the 23/24 and 24/25 years? Thank you for your assistance.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 21 days ago

CT, can definitely see how that's confusing. One way to think about it is the assignment is actually for the address. So any 11th or 12th graders living at that address in August 2021 would go to FVHS, while any 9th or 10th graders would be assigned to Willow Spring. If you have, say, an 11th grader and a 9th grader, the 9th grader could go to FVHS. Hope that helps.

Here are the relevant proposed grandfathering rules: High School Students – Assigned to New School (Willow Spring High) Students rising to grades 11 and 12 living in the base attendance area of Willow Spring High cannot attend Willow Spring High, because it is opening for 9th and 10th only. They will remain at their current high school and continue to receive their current level of transportation. Their siblings rising to 9th and 10th grades are eligible to grandfather with their older sibling and stay at their existing school. Those younger siblings can then remain at the school even after the older sibling graduates. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period, likely in early December 2020. They are eligible to receive transportation only for as long as the older sibling attends that school or they change addresses, whichever comes first.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 25 days ago

CT, students wouldn't be reassigned back to FVHS after two years. The base assignment change would be permanent, only juniors and seniors in the changed area obviously would have to stay at FVHS because Willow Spring is only opening for 9th and 10th. Does that make sense? I would advise you call the office of student assignment at 919-431-7333 and they can walk you through your specific situation. Yes the grandfathering window would be open Dec. 2020 for this proposal.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
CT Hmpsn 25 days ago

Matt, Thank you for your response. I will call per your instructions. I did want to share an image of what I am seeing as a split reassignment in case other parents are seeing the same and will know to call in as well for further information.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
robert kelly 26 days ago

WCPSS wants us to support public schools, yet none of the numerous parent concerns have been addressed in Draft 2. Can WCPSS now understand the popularity of charter and private schools?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Liz Aguilar 25 days ago

Are any of you parents attending the meeting on the 19th? Obviously this discussion board is pointless because once again parents are not being heard. It is important that we show up in large numbers, whether your child is currently attending high school or will attend in the near future. Also, please reach out to your district representative personally. She did nothing for us regarding BCES, but maybe, just maybe she might work up the courage to fight for us this time around. Lindsey Maffey lmahaffey@wcpss.net

2 Votes
MaryAnn Louw 25 days ago

I totally agree with you Liz. I will be there. Don't forget to sign up to speak too!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sandra McLaughlin 21 days ago

My husband & I searched & searched to find land to purchase & build our forever home in Oliver Creek off of Rouse Rd. and were assured by WCPSS that our children HSHS Class of 2022 & 2025 would graduate from there. This was an almost 2 year process, we moved in July. Please tell me as a rising Senior & Freshman they are grandfathered into HSHS? We have lived in Holly Springs since 2004, 27540 - not Fuquay.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 21 days ago

Sandra, here are the proposed grandfathering rules for this proposal:

High School Students – Assigned to New School (Willow Spring High) Students rising to grades 11 and 12 living in the base attendance area of Willow Spring High cannot attend Willow Spring High, because it is opening for 9th and 10th only. They will remain at their current high school and continue to receive their current level of transportation. Their siblings rising to 9th and 10th grades are eligible to grandfather with their older sibling and stay at their existing school. Those younger siblings can then remain at the school even after the older sibling graduates. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period, likely in early December 2020. They are eligible to receive transportation only for as long as the older sibling attends that school or they change addresses, whichever comes first.

It sounds like your children would be able to grandfather to stay at HSHS. You can always call our student assignment office at 919-431-7333 to confirm.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Sandra McLaughlin 19 days ago

Thanks Matt.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Andrea Bird 20 days ago

Is anyone else having trouble with the sign up to speak at the meeting? It was suppose to begin at noon. But it's not up as of 12:20.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 20 days ago

My fault. Sorry. That's the direct link to the sign-up.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
0 Votes
MaryAnn Louw 20 days ago

Matt what is going on? The sign up form changed a couple of hours after it opened I was number 18 to speak now only 9 speakers and the form has changed?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
0 Votes

MaryAnn Louw 20 days ago

I originally signed up at 1:15 pm. Now I noticed the form has changed and only 9 people are listed to speak. The link to the agenda is not valid. Is the reassignment part of the agenda or not? If it is what item number is it. EVERYONE please go back and sign up again if you did it earlier. Matt can you please let me know if the reassignment is on the agenda or is it off agenda if it is what is the item number? The link to the agenda is NOT working.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

MaryAnn I have you on the speaker list for the special public hearing. The link is working. And we have 25 speakers now, with you at no. 18. We can remove you from the regular hearing speaker list.

1 Vote
MaryAnn Louw 20 days ago

Thank you! The link on the website is going to the other form. There might be other people going to that link if they don't come to the forum.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

I'm seeing the links going to the correct sign-ups. There are two hearings, one regarding student assignment and one general comments to the board. We're monitoring both lists though and will make sure everyone gets a chance to speak.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
0 Votes

Default_avatar

We're checking to make sure everything is working correctly.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Still checking, but this is showing me 25 people signed up to speak http://webarchive.wcpss.net/signup/board-meeting-speakers-special/

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kathie Marshall 20 days ago

We moved here 5 years ago and chose to be a part of the Fuquay Varina Community. Our realtor tried to tell us we wouldn’t want our daughter going to FVHS and that she could request a transfer to Middle Creek HS. We/She didn’t want that. We chose to be a part of the Fuquay community. Now the dividing line is Sunset Lake Road except for a few neighborhoods you scoop kids out of on the side that should pertain to FVHS by that line division. Two of our daughters have graduated from FVHS and our son will graduate next year from there as well. Our last two should have the opportunity to attend FVHS as well and NOT be forced to go to WSHS because you want the numbers there. Wake County School district is too big for their own good and it shows that they don’t think of the students, but just themselves. We are very unhappy with the boards decisions and no changes in draft 2.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Carrie Bley 14 days ago

We would like the neighborhood of Avocet to added back to the Holly Springs High School zone.

I hope as you consider these reassignments …you truly embrace the reality…that these are not just Maps. These are Lives. Individual Children’s Lives that you will be impacting forever.

We Live in Avocet neighborhood in Holly Springs. We are on the absolute southern border of your new reassignment plan. Children in Avocet ( and the newly connected Oliver Creek Subdivision) have attended Holly Springs High School for 10 years.

It is one of the few neighborhoods on Cass Holt rd. The Only neighborhood that currently has an entrance on Cass Holt Rd. It is located less than 1.7 miles from the entrance of our neighborhood to the front door of Holly Springs High School. The ride to school is less than 2 minutes and 43 seconds. There is a 10-year long legacy of Avocet children attending Holly Springs High School.

There needs to be a "Reasonable Expectation" of Proximity observed in these reassignment decisions. Along with the Stability, both academically and socially that our children need to succeed.

This is not the first time Avocet has been reassigned. The children of Avocet were reassigned elementary schools last year. ALL families had to switch to a Traditional calendar Elementary. We flow into a Year Round Middle school.

According to the future plans we have seen, it doesn’t look like it will be the last reassignment plan for us either. We have been made aware that a new Middle School and a new High School will be joining our area during the time frame of your current reassignment plan, however you have not included either of those schools in this plan. When are the public and families supposed to be informed of your re-zoning changes concerning those future changes? They will be occurring concurrent to your proposed reassignment plan and yet you aren’t giving us any information on the changes that will be made once these two new schools open?

[WCPSS planned projects: https://www.wcpss.net/Page/26898]

New Herbert Atkins Middle School https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3925?pid=218

New Apex High School (H-12 New High (H-xx3) 8550 Stephenson Road Apex, NC 27539

Herbert Atkins middle school, according to your website, is slated to open its doors August of 2022 and the new Apex High School (H-12 New High (H-xx3) is slated to open August 2024.

We are asking for FULL Transparency in the prospective school zones for these 2 new schools that will be joining our area during the 2021-2024 time period of your Reassignment plan so we understand ALL of the future changes NOW instead of having to wait for you to let us know every two years that you are moving our kids to a different school AGAIN, like your past track record has shown.

What will the estimated school zones be for Herbert Atkins middle school and The New Apex High School?

Why are those projections ( from the 2 new schools being built) not calculated in the reassignment plan when considering reducing overcrowding?

Will The New High Apex High School be relieving some of the overcrowding at HSHS from the northern part of the school zone? ( Making room for the more proximate/ Closer neighborhoods to remain in their current HSHS assignment? )

You are asking for input from the public. We would like ALL of the appropriate information that you have concerning the reassignment in this area please.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Pete Bley 14 days ago

We live in Avocet and there has been a tremendous amount of instability in this community in terms of school assignments over the past few years. We are 1.7 miles from Holly Springs High School, door to door. And while we are aware you don’t want to hear about how far from the school we live, at some point their needs to be a measure of reasonable expectations when considering proximity to a base school.

6 years ago when we were looking to purchase a home in Holly Springs, we chose the Avocet Community as one of our potential locations. When we talked to them about the school system our children would be attending, we were told that while the subdivision had originally been assigned to Fuquay Varina High School, now the student base school was Holly Springs High School due to our proximity to the Elementary, Middle and High schools. This was one of the PRIMARY reasons we made our decision to purchase our house in this community.

Flash forward 4 years and we were informed by Wake County that our youngest would be rezoned to the new elementary school, Buckhorn Creek Elementary for her 4th and 5th grade years. At the time, while we did not like her social network being changed by moving her to a new school, the proximity made sense since it was closer to our house so we chose not to fight the move too hard. She would go to the new school but would still have her social network with her when she went to Holly Grove Middle School a couple years later.

Now, less than 2 years later, we are being informed, AGAIN, that we are being rezoned and that our children will be moved to Fuquay Varina High School. This is now the 2nd rezoning of our neighborhood in less than two years and it is not a coincidence that it is happening at the same point as our builder selling their final plots in our neighborhood and it being closed out now. It is also not a coincidence that our neighborhood was originally supposed to go to FVHS, but when the houses did not sell, was moved to HSHS, and now that the houses are sold is being moved BACK to FVHS. I work in sales and this is known as a “Bait and Switch” sales tactic.

Now we are finding out that that a new Middle School and a new High School will be joining our area during the time frame of your current reassignment plan, but you have not included either of those schools in this plan. When are the public and families supposed to be informed of your re-zoning changes concerning those future new schools? They will be occurring concurrent to your proposed reassignment plan and yet you aren’t giving us any information on the changes that will be made once these two new schools open?

You have created a track record of moving kids around every couple of years and with your choosing not to include the new Middle and High schools coming to the area, it appears that track record will not end soon. We are asking that you stop prioritizing "dirt" and start prioritizing the kids that are already in the system, who have social networks and sibling legacy and sense of community because these kids aren't numbers on a piece of paper...they have friends and sports and support groups and after school activities that are affected by these moves whereas "dirt" is just waiting to be moved around. We ask that you start taking ALL of these things into your consideration before you continue messing with these kids every other year until they graduate.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Carrie Bley at November 26, 2019 at 3:16pm EST

Our comments may have been too long.

Matt, Why are these 2 NEW schools not be counted in this reassignment plan for the Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina plan?

New Herbert Atkins Middle School ( opening Aug 2020) New Apex High School (H-12 New High (H-xx3) 8550 Stephenson Road Apex, NC 27539 (opening August 2024.)

What will the estimated school zones be for Herbert Atkins middle school and The New Apex High School?

We are in the Avocet Community. We would like to remain zoned for Holly Springs High School.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 02, 2019 at 5:08pm EST

Carrie, I'm so sorry for the delay. H-12 will be needed to relieve crowding at Apex Friendship High. Herbert Akins Middle was to serve as swing space for Fuquay-Varina Middle during its renovation, but the board is considering some alternatives to that. I am trying to find you the most up to date and accurate information about that, as those conversations are very recent, but didn't want to go any longer without a response. Hope to have some more info for you tomorrow.

0 Votes
MaryAnn Louw at December 03, 2019 at 4:33pm EST

so here we are again, we were never told that Willow Springs would impact our kids either. Build schools where you need the relief how about building a new school in Holly Springs? I am sure that there will be HSH students that will be moved to H12.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Carrie Bley at December 02, 2019 at 11:19pm EST

Tomorrow the Board is voting on this issue at 5:30pm. Correct.

Is the Board aware of these concerns?

We sincerely need some honest answers. If you rezone Avocet Community to Fuquay Varina High School ...now. Then open up Herbert Atkins Middle in 2 years. ( It appears that you might also be trying to reassign our children to the new middle school at that time). It is a reasonable assumption...given that our neighborhoods proximity to HSHS is not being used as a factor in this Highschool reassignment plan.

Our current middle school base is Holly Grove Middle School. HSHS and Holly Grove Middle school share a carport. They are directly beside one another. If the HSHS is not close enough to Avocet community at 2 min 34 seconds away to warrant it as our base school...then then we can not trust our base middle school to stay the same as well.

We are worried. That you could be reassigning the same generation of kids at Every single phase of their academic careers.

Elementary, then HS, then middle school.

When given the location of the new H-12 highschool in Apex and growth in Holly Springs area...it appears that WCPSS Will have to re-zone some population of HSHS students to the new school in 2024.

And moving the children in the Avocet community tomorrow will have accomplished nothing useful to combat any anticipated overcrowding issues.

Thank you for your reply. However, how are we supposed to get answers as parents...and the Board receive relevant information this close to their vote.

It is very concerning that these factors are not a very large part of this discussion.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at December 03, 2019 at 8:38am EST

The board is scheduled to vote on a final plan this evening, correct. The board and staff have been monitoring feedback for two months and are considering every viewpoint.

For further information, Herbert Akins Middle will not be available for use until 2022, either as a swing space for Fuquay-Varina Middle or opening as its own new school.

Our policy is for there to be a minimum of three years between reassignments, and in most cases it's much more than that. So students who are reassigned from Holly Springs High to Fuquay-Varina High almost certainly would not be reassigned again when H-12 opens.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Carrie Bley at December 03, 2019 at 9:52am EST

In Avocet Community we currently attend Holly Grove Middle School which feeds into HSHS.

You are seeking in this reassignment to change Only our base High School to FVHS. You will be locking our neighborhood into a situation where ( we can only assume) the argument will be made by WCPSS ( in 2020) that our Avocet children should now attend a middle school which inevitably feeds into their NEW High School assignment of FVHS.

Given the history we are seeing. We can predict that if this Draft 2 passes tonight without changes...Wake County will seek to move Avocet's Base Middle school to Herbert Atkins Middle in 2020. ( Again, that’s an assumption...we are asking for more information on this)

It appears (without the future plans being presented to parents) That students in the Avocet Community might eventually be asked to:

Switch from HGES to Buckhorn ( Already occurred 1 ½ years ago) Switch from HSHS to FVHS ( Current reassignment plan- 2020) Switch from HGMS to Herbert Atkins Middle school (Once completed in 2020)

By the letter of the law, you are not impacting the same “type” of schools every 3 years in Avocet Community. However, you are catching hundreds of students ( such as our youngest) that will be affected by Every one of these reassignments in a linear progression. ALL Stacked on top of one another. Living in limbo- at the edge of each major school transition.

This seems unreasonable given Avocets proximity to HGMS and HSHS and the stated issue of WCPSS desire to improve transportation efficiency.

If Herbert Atkins Middle School and Fuquay Varina High school are slated to open at the same time frame (2020)… Why are the assignment zones for Herbert Atkins not made public as of yet. The feeder pattern of that middle school will GREATLY affect the “overcrowding” issues stated for Holly Springs High School?

Which begs the question- Why would you prematurely move proximal neighborhoods (such as Avocet) that are 2 1/2 minutes from HSHS to FVHS to lessen an overcrowding situation that you can’t currently predict...without knowing the impact of Herbert Atkins Middle school feeder pattern and the H-12 New Apex HS proposed school zone?

H-12 High School's opening may rezone students from the northern part of the current HSHS zone- to H-12 Apex HS...lessening overcrowding?

Why disrupt the same “Generations” of children in a 10 year established community of Avocet- moving students to a new school and new social structure in Elementary, Middle, then HS?

You may not be receiving the community input you need on this subject. Because we ( the public) are unaware of how dramatic WCPSS’s future plans are for our community. We are unable to protect our children's stability.

I can see you are trying to get this information, We sincerely Thank You for your help Matt. However, these are serious matters that will affect our children throughout their entire academic lives in Wake County. Can you please help us get this information and these questions to the board for consideration.

1 Vote

MaryAnn Louw at December 03, 2019 at 4:30pm EST

I presented our concerns about the safety of our students at the board meeting and handed out NC dot accident statistics to each board member. Moving our kids to FVHS will greatly (over 1400 times more for Avocet students) increase their probability of being involved in an accident. This is not acceptable to me as a parent. I hope and pray that our students are safe but remember if any of our children are impacted because of this move by the board we as parents will remember and hold them accountable. They have the facts, numbers do not lie. We are on the same road as HSHS and our students should NOT be moved to FVHS. It makes no sense to move us to FVHS at all. We are lest than a 3 min drive to HSHS on a traffic free road with only a right turn.

0 Votes

MaryAnn Louw at December 04, 2019 at 12:50pm EST

I really don't know how the School Assignment Superintendent or any of the board members sleep at night. Once again they totally ignored all of us. Our own board member did absolutely nothing for us. This reassignment is wrong and not fair. You continue to impact children with out concern on how it negatively affects them. Our kids are not pawns that are moved to fix and balance out test scores. If a school is over crowded it should be capped and those of us who have been a part of these schools for years should be allowed to stay. Stay tuned for next year where they will continue to uproot children from their neighborhood schools. I left a blue ribbon school district for this mess.

0 Votes