The Wake County Board of Education on Tuesday discussed school calendars for the 2020-21 school year based on new legislation approved by lawmakers in late April. Watch the discussion.

They are expected to vote on the calendars on June 2. 

Apart from year-round calendars, these proposed calendars would be similar to those previously approved by the school board, including the same Winter and Spring breaks. Calendars had to be adjusted to include the five days of remote learning mandated by recent state law. 

We will notify you again when calendars have been officially approved by the board.

We invite you to share feedback and questions about the proposed calendars in the thread that applies to you and your child. 

The Wake County Board of Education on Tuesday discussed school calendars for the 2020-21 school year based on new legislation approved by lawmakers in late April. Watch the discussion.

At this time, single-track year-round schools are proposed to follow the Track 4 schedule as proposed in the multi-track calendar. That would be a start date of Aug. 17, 2020 and an end date of June 29, 2021.

However, further review is needed, and we are consulting with state lawmakers and the N.C. Department of Public Instruction.

We will share updates as we have them.

A recent state law added requirements we must follow in developing 2020-21 calendars.

• We must add 5 Remote Learning (RL) days to all calendars.

• We must meet a minimum of 1,025 instructional hours in a year that includes the 5 Remote Learning days.

• We must add 5 individually separate and distinct full in-person instructional days that we are referring as Session Law days.

Please share your feedback and questions below.

2 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Emily Scott at May 23, 2020 at 1:52pm EDT

I am concerned with the recent legislation for the YR single track 4 schools. We LOVE that calendar want to keep it. I also understand that legislators are forcing the school boards hand with approving legislation that blocks the Board form being able to have some calendar flexibility. I sincerely hope that if single track 4 schools are not able to be in place, that the option to make them modfiied calendar schools is pushed. But if we wanted to be on a traditional calendar, then we would have chosen traditional calendar for our children.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kerry Parrish at May 26, 2020 at 11:17am EDT

I do not see why Single Track schools need to modify, as they would've started when other tracks calendars are proposed. Our family chose a YR Track for work and travel schedule purposes, and the new modified track, adopting it in the 11th hour puts a lot of people scrambling to find alternative care in a time when there is already a shortage of summer care available.

0 Votes