This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Parents, We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

UPDATE 10/03: We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh

On Oct. 1, staff members presented Draft 1 of a new Student Enrollment Proposal to the Board of Education.

The proposal includes proposed school assignment changes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.

This is the beginning of a community conversation that is scheduled to conclude with the school board adopting a final plan on Dec. 3.

Find out if you are proposed to be affected.

You are encouraged to visit www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal for more information about the proposal and to check for updates as the process moves forward.

Why is this being proposed?

To keep up with population growth and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re building two new schools: 

• South Lakes Elementary, 1433 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2020

• Willow Spring High School, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2021

The majority of proposed school assignment changes will be related to the opening of these two new schools in Fuquay-Varina.

Other components of the proposal are aimed at relieving overcrowded schools, better utilizing under-enrolled schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

How can I ask questions and provide feedback?

The best way to provide feedback and ask questions about the proposal is to visit our online forum. This will ensure staff members, school board members and your fellow parents see your questions and feedback. Staff members will respond to questions in a timely fashion. Staff members and board members will also review and consider all feedback as they work toward a second draft of the proposal and, ultimately, the final approved plan. 

What is the process for arriving at a final plan?

We will respond to questions and review feedback online for the next several weeks. We also will host three Open House public information sessions where you can learn more about the proposal and ask questions of staff members. We will announce dates and locations soon.

Staff members will present Draft 2 to the school board for discussion on Nov. 5. A public hearing will be held on Nov. 19, providing the opportunity to speak before the full board. A final vote is expected on Dec. 3.

Proposal: Some students attending Brassfield Elementary would be assigned to Wakefield Elementary.

Purpose: Reduces overcrowding at Brassfield Elementary while better utilizing Wakefield Elementary.

Please share your questions and feedback about this proposal in the thread below.

72 Responses

Default_avatar
Katie Tran about 1 month ago

Would students impacted by the change be able to apply to Brassfield Elementary? My daughter is already a student and her track is one of the least crowded tracks.

2 Votes

Bootstrap_10219331304333933
Kristin Raynor about 1 month ago

Will the older Brassfield children (3rd-5th graders) have the option of being grandfathered in to Brassfield?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

Hi Kristin. Here is the proposed grandfathering policy: https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945 Let me know if this answers your question.

0 Votes

Will Brassfield students who have siblings in Durant Middle (also a year-round School) have the option to stay at Brassfield to keep on the same schedule as their older siblings?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Kristin, under this proposal, you would not be eligible to grandfather back to Brassfield based K-8 sibling calendar alignment. You may contact the Office of Student Assignment at 919-431-7333 to discuss other potential options.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Eliza Williams about 1 month ago

This proposal would completely split our neighborhood. This is not acceptable. My daughter is in first grade. We moved to this house in 2016, so my children could attend Brassfield and so my children would be a part of a neighborhood school. Our small section of the neighborhood should be included with Brassfield. My children should be with their friends, their neighbors, the children they are growing up with. Please do not split our neighborhood.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Eliza, Thank you for this feedback. Our staff will look at this more closely and it will be addressed in Draft 2, which will be presented to the board on Nov. 5.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Matt. I appreciate it. I know you are in communications at the Central Office. Will the board members be presented with all of this information? Thanks again!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Eliza, yes, board members are monitoring feedback and questions on this forum, and the Draft 2 presentation to the board will include discussion of matters like the one you raised.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Brassfield is NOT overcrowded currently. The numbers are SIGNIFICANTLY down this year.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Potts about 1 month ago

My son is currently enrolled in Abbotts Creek Elementary which is our traditional calendar option as defined by the existing plan, and where we’ve attended since the school first opened. The proposed plan would move my son from a school he loves and from teachers we are familiar with, while in no way helping to elevate the over-crowding referenced at Brassfield. It is also hard for me to believe that our reassignment would make that much of a difference in terms of bus resources due to existing residential access and the proposed impact on the Falls of the Neuse corridor in the affected area. In short, this proposal, as drafted, creates more problems than it solves.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Pacheco about 1 month ago

This proposed draft splits our neighborhood. I would request the review committee to look at the neighborhoods that are currently assigned to Brassfield and further how this draft will draw a line within our neighborhood - without consideration to how it may impact changes to current assignments and siblings that have yet to start school. If all students in the same neighborhood opted to ride the bus, you now have two different elementary schools servicing one small neighborhood. Does this really help reduce busing shortages? It is hard for me to believe that this was taken into consideration. For example, the road 1000 feet from my house is slated in the draft for Brassfield and we are slated for Wakefield. Not that either school is better than the other school, but the idea that our neighbors can assist when a parent runs into a jam and this would reduce the how many buses are required for each neighborhood. As Ms. Williams noted above, the reason we purchased our home in 2015 was so that our son and future children could attend Brassfield - our current base school. Please do not split our neighborhood. We enjoy the sense of community as it relates to a neighborhood school.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Geoff Raynor about 1 month ago

I agree. This doesn't seem seem to be the best solution. Why split up a small neighborhood like ours. We carpool and socialize our children all because they attend the same school. Surely there is a better way.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Beth Brown about 1 month ago

This is unacceptable for 8 families in the same neighborhood that share child care and after school care with neighbors still zoned for Brassfield. This is ridiculous and heartbreaking for these kids and families. How do we stop this ridiculousness. I do not understand the point of separating 8 families from the rest of their friends and neighbors at Brassfield.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Beth, this is something our staff will look into and address in Draft 2 of the proposal.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Agree, Beth. We not only share childcare, but also carpool with others in the neighborhood, take other children to after-school activities, etc.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Elizabeth Marriott about 1 month ago

We have moved to Wake County a year ago, and since then have been highly impressed by the quality of the schools our children attend, but also by the improvement in our family life with a year round schedule, as two working parents. We are fortunate to live in such a vibrant and family friendly neighborhood that I know would support us if one of us got stuck at work, etc. My children currently attend Brassfield (2nd grade) and Durant Middle (6th grade). Our reassignment, to Wakefield Elementary, and thus a traditional calendar option, would be highly detrimental to our family life. One scenario would be that we would have one child at a traditional schedule and one at a calendar year, which would be extremely difficult to schedule and result in decreased time as a family. The other option, would be to change our son to Wakefield Middle, which would be asking him to change schools again, and to pull him away from a school he is really enjoying and excelling at. As working parents, we realize how grateful we are to live in this neighborhood, with helping hands. Splitting up the neighborhood would severely disrupt that, and also significantly impact the time we can spend together as a family. Is there any consideration in this proposal for families with children at Durant, in agreement with Mrs. Raynor as above?

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Elizabeth, as noted to Mrs. Raynor above, under this proposal, you would not be eligible to grandfather back to Brassfield based K-8 sibling calendar alignment. You may contact the Office of Student Assignment at 919-431-7333 to discuss other potential options.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kevin Brown about 1 month ago

This change to our portion of the neighborhood in River Run would be devastating by splitting 7 to 8 families off from the balance of the neighborhood. In addition Brassfield is our year round assigned school and to suddenly change to traditional will be unacceptable. What is the proposed remedy for the disruption of taking kids from their current track to a traditional track without any choice? This disruption to the neighborhood will be detrimental and needs to be reconsidered. Most importantly, we currently share child care with a family at Brassfield and this type of disruption would cause a significant impact to the ability to care of our son and the overall time we can spend together as a family.

5 Votes
Default_avatar

Kevin, this is something our staff will be looking into and addressing in Draft 2 of the proposal.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

After watching the video of the meeting, it’s clear that possibly the board doesn’t/didn’t understand they were sending a small portion of River Run (our neighborhood) to another school. Basically, the green section that that have indicated is to stay at Brassfield just needs to be slightly bigger, so the 7-8 families affected can stay where they are. Can the board zoom in on the map and look specifically at River Run? The streets are Lowery Ridge, Lowery Farm, Wild Waters, Falls Farm Crossing, Joseph Drive and Park Falls. Also, there’s a small section of Wide River (2 houses).

3 Votes

Default_avatar

I have reviewed the current transportation routes for both Abbotts Creek Elementary, the current traditional school assignment and for Wakefield elementary, the proposed new traditional school assignment. Sending a bus to service the portion of the River Run neighborhood affected by this change would add 3.2 miles to the existing service routes, all to save 1 mile round trip. This math does not support the claim that the proposed change better utilizes bus resources.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

I would appreciate it if someone from the board and/or District Office would contact me personally. I can be reached at 919-521-2571. Thank you.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa Askew about 1 month ago

We love Brassfield Elementary and are thankful to not be directly impacted by the proposed reassignments. However, it does divide our neighborhood (River Run), with a small number of families being reassigned to Wakefield Elementary. This would be detrimental to our sense of community, as these children have formed strong bongs with one another, not only as neighbors but also as school/classmates. In addition, we as parents rely on each other for carpooling. Please do not divide River Run!

6 Votes

First of all, I want to thank you for looking into the RiverRun neighborhood division in draft 2 as stated many times above. I want to reiterate that River Run, Bedford & Falls River neighborhoods are all separate neighborhoods with separate HOA’s, pools, etc. Once you all have a closer look at the map, you will see that the proposal divides our neighborhood...River Run. Our neighborhood is the smallest of the 3 neighborhoods afore mentioned, so it might have been overlooked as a single standing neighborhood. Dividing us would disrupt our current neighborhood schedule of helping one another before & after school at Brassfield. Please strongly consider keeping all of River Run families in Brassfield. This currently only means approximately 8 families staying at Brassfield that you are proposing to move. One more thing I’d like to mention is my disappointment in the title of these WCPSS restructuring emails, as it seems misleading to indicate that it was all around Fuquay. It almost feels like this one North Raleigh change was meant to be hidden. We may be a small neighborhood but we are a very tight & strong neighborhood and do not want to be overlooked. Thank you very much for this consideration!

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Karen Dunton about 1 month ago

Why wouldn't you send the Brassfield students to Durant Road Elementary instead of Wakefield Elementary? This would allow families to remain on a year-round calendar, it maintains their feeder pattern into a year-round middle school (Brassfield already feeds into Durant Road Middle School, as does Durant Road Elementary School), and DRES and DRMS both have plenty of space to accommodate these students for years to come. I'm afraid the unintended consequence of this change will be a reduction in year-round families, particularly at DRMS.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
Heather Goode 25 days ago

I agree with Karen Dunton. Why aren't children being moved to Durant Road Elementary and Durant Road Middle School. Both schools are below capacity and enrolling children at these schools would keep both schools healthy and help the children remain on a year-round calendar. We cannot lose the option of a year-round calendar and if enrollment decreases at Durant Road Elementary School, this may occur. Please take a hard look at the enrollment at all schools in the area and consider how adding additional children to Durant Rd Elementary School will benefit everyone. If busing is an issue, take a look at how many buses come into Durant Trails neighborhood (3 buses) and evaluate placing all children on one bus from one school to go into one neighborhood.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Michelle Crocker about 1 month ago

We are both a River Run and Brassfield family. I am so disappointed to hear that this proposal that could remove 7-8 families from our neighborhood and redistrict them to a different school. Many of us moved to River Run not only for the strong sense of community but also for our children to attend Brassfield. Although we are thankful our street is not affect by this proposal, we are upset about possibly that our children who see each other our neighborhood activities will no longer be classmates but also that Brassfield could loose families that so actively involved at the school. Please consider this and keep all of River Run families at Brassfield. Thank you.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Lindsay Gossett about 1 month ago

I am also a River Run neighborhood resident and Brassfield Elementary parent. I am upset at this current proposal and strongly urge all involved to reevaluate the proposal. I am involved with the school and strongly prefer the year round option. I also am concerned about splitting up a neighborhood that has such close bonds between children and parents. I, personally, rely on fellow parents/neighbors for childcare and this change would really disrupt our family and decrease our amount of time together. I cannot imagine how this will improve bus routes and aid in bus shortages. I also cannot imagine how this is beneficial to the students. Please reconsider the proposed changes.

7 Votes

Default_avatar

I have been in contact with my representative on the board and understand that under this proposal I might have the ability to remain at my existing school, Abbotts Creek, as it is a calendar option under the current assignment plan. However, the sticking point seems to be around continuing to provide transportation to Wild Waters Dr. Per my earlier post, Wild Waters Dr represents roughly 1 mile of a driver's time under the existing plan. Under the proposed new assignment plan, transportation to Wild Waters Dr from the closest stop now serving Wakefield Elementary would represent more than 3 miles of driving time, thereby costing taxpayers in resources. I am also aware that Abbotts Creek is capped, meaning the majority of my neighbors, who are also vehemently against this plan could not be assigned to Abbotts Creek, but they are asking to remain at Brassfield with the rest of the neighborhood, not Abbotts Creek. As I mentioned, it is not even a mile to the next closest bus stop. My son will be a third-grader when this plan, if adopted, goes into effect, and has 4 cousins currently enrolled at Abbotts Creek. He can easily pick up the bus an alternative stop if the goal here was truly reduce bus routes. (His current bus drives right pass his grandmother's house daily). To deny him transportation all together just so the system might save 1 mile a day when the cost for us to switch to Wakefield adds 3 makes no sense.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Heather Pew about 1 month ago

Just curious. I noticed in this plan it includes a renovation plan for Brassfield that opened in 1988. Are there some significant structural/facility concerns at BE? I’m just wondering how the county decides what buildings are prioritized for renovations?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Katie Page about 1 month ago

We love Brassfield Elementary and (at this point) are not directly impacted by the proposed reassignments. However, it does divide our close knit neighborhood (River Run), with a small number of families being reassigned to Wakefield Elementary. As a working parent, I rely on our amazing neighbors whose children attend Brassfield to help me with carpooling and after school care. Many of the young children of River Run have only known Brassfield as their school, and this divide would be such a detriment to them. They benefit so much from the wonderful friendships with one another, not only as neighbors but also as school/classmates. Please do not divide River Run!

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Oberbroeckling about 1 month ago

I am a River Run resident and a WCPSS parent. I am writing to respectfully request that River Run not be divided. We are a community. We have relationships with one another and together we love and take care of all the children in our neighborhood together. We give rides to each others kids, we interact with one another at the bus stop, we help each other with homework, we pick up things for each other at school, we rally together at Christmas time to support the children in WCPSS schools in need, we volunteer at the school, etc. We are unified. There are so many of us that are extremely upset to think about the negative impact that dividing our neighborhood will have on the children and families. If you think about the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" please know that we believe this and we do not want to see our neighborhood divided.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Rachael Lundin about 1 month ago

I am a River Run resident and Brassfield parent. I am writing to request that our neighborhood is not split between two schools. It saddens me to think that such a small neighborhood could be divided this way as the neighborhood draws a sense of community from the kids being at school together ... they're all "Brassy Bears". Honestly, its immensely disappointing that Wake County would even consider splitting the neighborhood. Please do not divide River Run.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Kelly Glass about 1 month ago

Hi there, it speaks to the strong community that is our neighborhood, River Run, that even unaffected neighbors are chiming in (for the privilege of picking our kids up in carpool for us). ;-) Hopefully, given the small number of people affected, you can redraft and keep us with the majority of our neighborhood at Brassfield. We are excited for year round school as it helps our family as well and hope to stay with Brassfield for that reason too. We appreciate you hearing our concerns and hopefully updating this in Draft #2. Thank you for your work on this.

6 Votes

Default_avatar

After further communication with WCPSS, it appears as though they knew they were splitting a neighborhood but seem to think our neighborhood is large. We are a small neighborhood of 142 homes. Our neighborhood is River Run (not Bedford or Falls River - although physically all of our homes run together, we are a completely separate neighborhood).

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Colby Pacheco about 1 month ago

I am a River Run resident and I strongly disagree with this proposal. It makes no since to split our neighborhood into different schools. Not only does this not seem to make sense logistically and from a cost stand point, this unnecessarily divides our community and could potentially cause more burdensome situations for families in our neighborhood. Furthermore, it is just wrong to split up kid's friendships by making kids in the same neighborhood attend different schools. Please re-draft the proposal in a way that does not split the neighborhood.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Here's a map of River Run. We are the blue area. Please keep us all at Brassfield.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

I've posted some of this piecemeal, but to make it easier to parse together my various comments across this forum, I thought I would consolidate my feedback into a single post:

I moved from Falls River into the River Run community in January. I can assure you that though the roads connecting these neighborhoods are shared by all, River Run is a very distinct and more tightly-knit community than the one I left. There are separate amenities, HOA, and bi-laws. For example we are allowed Bermuda grass, versus the greater neighborhoods that restrict you to fescue. I know that landscaping is not a factor when it comes to making a decision about where to send our children, but I wanted to point out the fact that it, and the large stone pillars, as well as other signage make it easy to spot where our neighborhood begins and the others end, especially for those familiar with the area.

As I mentioned, this is a tightly-knit community, with parents happily watching each other's kids before and after school as well as when they are running errands, so I know how very upset they are to learn their children might be separated.

I have not been a member of the community long, considering I’ve only been here 10 months, nor do I have the same connection to Brassfield. Instead, my loyalty is to Abbotts Creek, which is where my children (currently grades 2 & 5) have attended since its opening. This is also where my sisters’ children currently attend also. I recognize that Abbotts Creek is capped, but I was fortunate enough to be approved to remain there for the 2019-2020 school year. This has allowed me to have the same built-in support network with my immediate family as the other River Run parents are so desperate to maintain, as evidenced by this forum.

I understand that under the proposal, I might still have the option to keep my youngest son at Abbotts Creek with his cousins, however, the proposed change to the calendar option would mean I would no longer be provided with transportation support from the school system.

I rely on this support, particularly in the afternoon. I am fortunate enough to be able to work remotely, but it is still a full-time job with full-time requirements. My employer’s hours are 9am to 6pm. My boss is located in California. My job also often requires me to be on video conference calls in the afternoon as it requires screen sharing, and is not something I can do while sitting in a carpool line. Having to leave my office to pick up my son on a daily basis would be detrimental to my ability to perform the duties of my job, and I would have to make up the difference later in the evening, which would cost me valuable time with my family. Unfortunately, because my hours don’t end until 6pm, this also eliminates the option of afterschool care provided by the YMCA.

At the same time, if I were to accept the reassignment, outlined by this proposal, and send my son to Wakefield if only to maintain the necessary access to public transportation, I would be separating him from the teachers, friends, and routine he enjoys, but more importantly, our support network as well. The rest of River Run is fighting to stay a community. I am fighting to stay with my family.

Abbotts Creek might gain a seat, but I lose quite a bit more, all for a mile of bus transportation.

Reassigning my son would not benefit the school system either. While moving my son from Abbotts Creek to Wakefield might free up one seat at Abbotts Creek for the 2020-2021 3rd grade class, it would require additional bus resources as you cannot get to River Run from Wakefield without traveling on Falls of the Neuse, and currently the buses don’t serve both areas. In addition, there would be duplication of bus resources, as the current Abbotts Creek buses would still need to drive on the same roads to get to the other portions of the area unaffected by this plan.

If transportation is a deal-breaker, I would gladly apply for an alternative stop if that is an option in order to remain at my existing school. It is not clear from the proposal if I can. As I mentioned both of my sisters live in the Abbotts Creek assignment area. My mom as well.

However, from my perspective, and as evidenced by the passionate responses in this forum, the best option is to leave the existing assignment plan and look for other, less disruptive, areas for Wakefield Elementary’s growth.

I am also happy to attend any public meeting on this topic if I can better answer questions you might have about the communities and this draft’s potential impact on my neighborhood

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Perfectly stated, Allie!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tiffany Brown about 1 month ago

Thank you for the replies above that you will consider the requests to not divide our neighborhood, River Run. We are a tight knit community which is hard to find in today's fast-paced world. I believe our sense of community benefits the children and contributes to their happiness and ability to learn in school. Will there be an upcoming forum where we engage in dialogue to find another solution to WCPSS needs? Will this be before or after the draft #2 mentioned above? Thank you.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

So sorry! Last date was wrong.

We will host an Open House public information session on Oct. 30 at Wakefield High. We will have staff members available to answer questions and discuss any concerns.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

The date in my last reply, now deleted, I mean. Not enough coffee yet...

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10156130183631627
Angela Brickman about 1 month ago

I am in the Cobble Creek/ Coachman's trail neighborhood. I am apparently in the minority with a child at Abbotts Creek vs Brassfield. I opted for Abbotts Creek to keep my kids on the same calendar. With this proposed change my current 3rd grader would be reassigned to her base school which is Brassfield. I love Brassfield, my oldest went to elementary school there and it was fabulous. However I had hoped to keep both kids on a traditional schedule as my oldest is now in high school. I will not opt for either Wakefield or Baileywick which are the proposed traditional calendar options. If my child is forced to leave a school that she loves I would rather her attend one that she and I are already familiar with for her last two years of elementary school. I cannot keep her at Abbotts Creek if they allow it without transportation. As a single parent I rely on the bus to help out on the majority of days. What are the odds of this area staying an Abbotts Creek option?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Interesting that they are putting you back at Brassfield, but taking us away.

0 Votes
Bootstrap_10156130183631627
Angela Brickman about 1 month ago

Technically they are not. Brassfield is our base school. Our neighborhood is on Brassfield Road. I simply opted for Abbotts Creek to be on a traditional calendar. I just found out I can grandfather her into Abbotts creek but lose transportation. Which I do rely heavily on. So now the decision falls to me. I wish you and your neighbors luck in staying at Brassfield.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Katie Scott about 1 month ago

I am also a River Run resident, my children are not directly impacted by this proposed change but several of their very close friends are. I urge you to reconsider dividing our neighborhood, several of the families that are slated to be moved carpool with us on a regular basis.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Tanja Vandenbossche about 1 month ago

The proposed changes will shred apart the fabric of our River Run community. Our family is one of those affected by the changes which would see our kids displaced from Brassfield and moved to Wakefield.

We moved here for this community and as we are in River Run, on Lowery Farm Lane our kids have established deep bonds with teachers and friends from the neighborhood.

Though this forum I also learned that although one of my children will be moving to 5th grade (so we could appeal for grandfathering) that the school busing would then not be available and our younger two would still have to be moved the following year.

Even if we opted to appeal for grandfathering, both my husband and I work. We both have jobs (in our case California HQ companies, so we live and breathe on web meetings and cannot be carpooling at 9.15 or 3.45. Our hours often go past 6, which also means we cannot donafter school care at the YMCA. It is just not a possibility.

Critically, we have set roots within our neighborhood where we moved end of 2017 because we value the neighborhood and close ties and expected our children to be with their immediate neighbors at Brassfield. We fully had the expectation our kids would be able to maintain those relationships within Brassfield and in our community. Ripping kids and families away from the established structure, teachers and friends from the neighborhood would be devastating and no doubt also affect them/us greatly.

Please can we not be split up and can River Run residents and families stay within Brassfield? The implications for them personally, for us as a community and for some families, even our jobs cannot be understated!!

Tanja Vandenbossche

3 Votes

Default_avatar

After reading the Class-Size Bill info on the WCPSS website, I have the following questions regarding the plan:

1. Individual schools will make their own decisions about how to get the most out of available space. Question: When did Brassfield make the decision about how to get the most of its' space? What was the result of that?

2. We also could place enrollment caps on overcrowded schools mid-year, and require students at multi-track year-round schools to move to a different track where there are more seats available. Question: Why wasn't requiring students to switch tracks first, rather than moving schools altogether considered first?

3. Long-term, we estimate we will need 438 new classrooms by the 2021-22 school year to comply with the legislation. That’s roughly equivalent to eight new elementary schools. Question: Where have the new schools been built/are these new schools in the process of being built/when do you expect them to be completed?

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Another thought...What happens when these children age out of K-2 and then you have the opposite problem? Neighborhoods go through trends in terms of population. Our neighborhood has already had a group age out. By the time this all goes into effect 21/22 school year, it will be time for a new trend. Do you switch everyone back at that point?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lindsey Esmaeili about 1 month ago

I am deeply saddened to hear the news about a portion of my neighborhood River Run being re-assigned to a different elementary school. Although this does not affect me directly many of my friends and neighbors are being affected. Many of them have bought houses in this neighborhood to be able to attend Brassfield. I myself attended Brassfield as a child. We have a very close neighborhood and would hate for the kids to be split going to different schools. I also worry about it affecting our property values in the future. I hope you will consider keeping the zoning as is. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Andre Williams about 1 month ago

I am a River Run resident with a child that goes to Brassfield elementary. As many others in our small community have already stated, this change would cause a multitude of problems. First and foremost, making 6-8 year old kids leave the school and friends they love is awful. I understand that technology was used (heat map) to show where there was "opportunity" to move students around. My question is has anyone thought past the numbers? Did you look to see that these "numbers" are actually real children that would not understand why someone would make them leave there school , while the rest of there friends get to stay ? We're talking about 8 families. You were voted to the school board to make decisions for the betterment of the children, not to let a computer make decisions. Please look at your map again and understand that you would be splitting a small close knit community in half that will have long lasting negative effects on real children and a great community. A community that does a TON of service for the Brassfield elementary school. I'm sure the school does not want to lose these kids or the insurmountable help they receive from the River Run community.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Tommie Thomas about 1 month ago

I am a River Run resident and Brassfield parent. While my family is not (currently) changing schools due to the proposed plan, we are certainly still being affected as we share carpool, school volunteer, and after school care duties with our neighbors. I’m confused as to why you would choose to split up our tiny neighborhood of 140 homes into two different school zones. Although we are close to Falls River and Bedford, we are a much smaller and very tight-knit community. While our neighborhood is small, it has a large impact in terms of supporting Brassfield. River Run is home to our current Brassfield PTA President, as well as several PTA Board Members and parent volunteers who help out in the library, classrooms, and with fundraisers and programs like backpack buddies. The strong sense of community we have in our neighborhood carries over to Brassfield Elementary, where we as a neighborhood are present and involved. To have our neighborhood split or to be moved from a Brassfield would be greatly disappointing. We are largely a community of young families, and to move our children from the school they love so soon after they started would cause unnecessary upheaval and stress.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Ben Glass about 1 month ago

As a River Run resident with a child nearing elementary school age, I strongly echo all of my neighbors' comments on this thread to keep our wonderfully close-knit community together at Brassfield. One of the best things about River Run is how many of the families here have built life-long friendships and how the neighbors are so integral and supportive in all of the children's lives. To take a small community like ours and split it between two elementary schools would be extremely detrimental to the River Run kids currently at Brassfield, and to those set to attend there in coming years. We love our community and sincerely hope you will keep us all together at Brassfield in your next draft. Thanks for hearing us and for your work on this.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Brittany Birch about 1 month ago

I am also a River Run resident and I support all of my River Run neighbors' comments above. Brassfield is one of the main reasons my family moved to River Run in the first place one year ago, and this neighborhood is truly a family. Our little community and the children in it deserve to stay together and remaining at Brassfield is vital to that. Please don't split us up!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jason Gossett about 1 month ago

I am a River Run resident and my family would be impacted by the proposed changes. The proposal will split the neighborhood in half and separate kids who have grown up together attending the same school. My family relies on friends throughout the neighborhood to help with carpool and getting my children to different after school activities. Splitting our neighborhood in half would force us to find alternative means of transportation which would impact us financially and lead to less activities. The largest impact would be on the kids. Their best friends live in this neighborhood and at a time when they are growing and learning about life, it gives me comfort knowing they attend school with their best friends and neighbors. Making this change now at an important developmental stage of their life would be wrong. My family has always believed in the public school system but changes like this will cause us to evaluate our other options. Please do what is right and keep our neighborhood together.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Seshu Singh about 1 month ago

I am a River Run homeowner, currently a WCPSS parent and my kids are Brassfield alum. I would like to echo my neighbors sentiments on the proposed re-assignment. Splitting a tiny section of the neighborhood to another school does not make sense for all the aforementioned reasons. Please keep our neighborhood in one node. Thank you.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Additional follow up questions:

1. Once the second draft is completed in November, will that basically be the final plan or will revisions be made into December?

2. Is there a reason why when the email was initially sent that it appeared as though only schools in Fuquay would be affected?

3. What would the year round option for our neighborhood be, assuming you aren’t taking that away. Is that school full or will you be accepting students after the application process?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Well, the schools don't make the decision. But yes, year-round applications are not guaranteed so possible you would not be offered a seat.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

What is the year round option for River Run?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Eliza, 1. Draft 2 is still a draft. The board will discuss that draft in at least two meetings in November and consider possible changes to it, ultimately voting on a final plan. That final vote is slated for Dec. 3. 2. Both emails stated the majority of proposed changes were related to new schools in Fuquay, not the only proposed changes. 3. Under this proposal, you could apply to any year-round school but would need to provide your own transportation.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Although we could apply, will schools deny us and be capped?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

See Existing Schools 20/21 chart for a reference.

Historically, how many of the children in similar neighborhoods that are re-assigned to schools actually attend the school they are re-assigned versus those that move to magnets, charters, or private schools?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

What do you mean by "similar neighborhoods"?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

I apologize. I mean similar situations where neighborhoods are split. Does that make more sense?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

It sounds like busing and transportation is in issue, as it has been for years in WCPSS. In the board meeting, one reports that buses to Wakefield do not currently drive through our neighborhood; however, buses to Brassfield will continue to come here for the green section on the map. This doesn't seem to solve any transportation issues that already exist.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Matt. I'm referring to the video of the board meeting where they discuss Brassfield and the move to Wakefield. Wakefield buses do not currently come through our neighborhood, but with the draft proposal, Wakefield buses would need to come through and Brassfield buses would continue, as they've split our neighborhood.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Robert Marriott about 1 month ago

I am a resident at 11804 River Bluff Ct in the River Run Neighborhood. My children are both Track 4 students, with my 7 year old attending Brassfield and my son attending Durant MS. We have been blown away by the quality of both schools, the amazing teachers, and frankly the helpfulness of the administrators at the school and board level that we have worked with since moving to NC in November of 2018. They made our child’s transition seamless, and we are very grateful for that.

I completely understand the need to make changes to balance school attendance in a growing district. I would also ask that as the board makes its changes and decisions, that it considers the reality of breaking up contiguous neighborhoods, such as River Run and the negative impact it will have on both the community of families and the school. In addition, the communications related to this were very misleading early on, and should have been retracted and revised to reflect the full scope of the changes, as is normal and customary for this type of public proceeding.

We are a tight community of families, many of us supporting each other with bus stop duties, pick up lines, and transport for after school activities. That is all possible because our kids attend the same schools, and it in turn allows us more time to support those schools with many PTA members and volunteers among the neighborhood.

I apologize in advance for the number of passionate messages I am sure you are receiving, but please see it for what it is, a community of concerned parents trying to do the best for their kids. Either way, I just wanted to add one more voice for keeping River Run assigned to a single school, preferably Brassfield, and if failing that, we must preserve a year round option for those of us that prefer it or have siblings in other year round schools, even if we have to provide our own transportation.

Best Regards,

Robert Marriott

2 Votes

Default_avatar

According to page 62 of the Re-assignment Draft, River Run neighborhood was intended to stay together. When zooming in on the map, I've circled our affected section of the neighborhood and it is still green. If you go by address look up, it says we are supposed to move to Wakefield, but according to the map, we are to stay at Brassfield. Please see all of the attachments. Thank you

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Additional attachments

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ramon Galloway about 1 month ago

My son who attends Durant Elementary has also been included in this reassignment mess, my question is will the grandfathering allow him to attend Durant middle after next year or do I have to apply to get in there again as long as i'm providing my own transportation? I find these reassignments to be frustrating and they are always unorganized.

0 Votes