This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Parents, We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

UPDATE 10/03: We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh

On Oct. 1, staff members presented Draft 1 of a new Student Enrollment Proposal to the Board of Education.

The proposal includes proposed school assignment changes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.

This is the beginning of a community conversation that is scheduled to conclude with the school board adopting a final plan on Dec. 3.

Find out if you are proposed to be affected.

You are encouraged to visit www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal for more information about the proposal and to check for updates as the process moves forward.

Why is this being proposed?

To keep up with population growth and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re building two new schools: 

• South Lakes Elementary, 1433 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2020

• Willow Spring High School, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2021

The majority of proposed school assignment changes will be related to the opening of these two new schools in Fuquay-Varina.

Other components of the proposal are aimed at relieving overcrowded schools, better utilizing under-enrolled schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

How can I ask questions and provide feedback?

The best way to provide feedback and ask questions about the proposal is to visit our online forum. This will ensure staff members, school board members and your fellow parents see your questions and feedback. Staff members will respond to questions in a timely fashion. Staff members and board members will also review and consider all feedback as they work toward a second draft of the proposal and, ultimately, the final approved plan. 

What is the process for arriving at a final plan?

We will respond to questions and review feedback online for the next several weeks. We also will host three Open House public information sessions where you can learn more about the proposal and ask questions of staff members. We will announce dates and locations soon.

Staff members will present Draft 2 to the school board for discussion on Nov. 5. A public hearing will be held on Nov. 19, providing the opportunity to speak before the full board. A final vote is expected on Dec. 3.

Proposal: Some students at Fuquay-Varina Middle School would be assigned to North Garner Middle; others would be assigned to West Lake Middle.

Purpose: Reduces overcrowding at Fuquay-Varina Middle.

Please share your questions and feedback about these proposed changes in the thread below.

70 Responses

Bootstrap_10219509822120539
Susan Cannaday 2 months ago

Are kids that are already at FVMS, and on a traditional schedule going to have to go to year-round WLMS? I purposely have avoided this school for my second child!

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

Susan, that portion of the proposed policy just applies to those students affected by this proposed change, having to do with students attending their calendar application school - or "calendar option." https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40942

Sorry for the confusion. I have tried to clarify that on grandfathering page.

0 Votes

Well, how come we don't get a calendar option? We are now on traditional and have no desire to move back to year round.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Susan. This is Matt Dees in the WCPSS Communications office. Yes, some students from Fuquay-Varina Middle are proposed to be assigned to West Lake Middle under this Draft 1 proposal. Have you typed in your address to see if you are proposed to have a new assignment? http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/proposalFirstDraft/

0 Votes

So, since you deleted my last reply, my question is, did I read, correctly, that, since my son is to be reassigned from traditional calendar to year round, that he can request to stay, though, without transportation? What a cluster this is!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Have you checked your proposed application schools in the address look-up? You may still have a proposed designated calendar application school. http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/proposalFirstDraft/ You may also want to call the Office of Student Assignment at 919-431-7333 and a representative can walk you through your potential options.

0 Votes

Of course I checked, which is why I'm in this forum. Our base elementary is year round. Our base middle has ALWAYS been FVMS, with WL as the calendar option. Now it's straight WL, with no option. As I said, I have experienced 3 yrs at WLMS, and have, purposely chosen to have my son go to his, current, traditional base, FVMS. Continual changing of calendars, is unfair, and, frankly, unacceptable!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Susan, under the proposed grandfathering rules, students rising to 8th grade in 2020-21 who are affected by this proposal would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their current school. Any younger siblings would be eligible to grandfather for one year. After one year, siblings would be assigned to their new base school. Grandfathered students do not receive district transportation.

Does this answer your question?

0 Votes

Actually, no, I saw that, but there is a separate section for kids with a calendar change. Says ALL students can request to stay at current school, without transportation. It's at the bottom of the "grandfather" link you shared.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Teresa Renken 2 months ago

We have also.. my older two went to West Lake worst school! Hated every second of it! It looks like Fuquay-Varina Middle is going to be renovated! https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3925?pid=227

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sara Landis 2 months ago

I have the same question as the one before me asked, will students already enrolled at FVMS have to change? Our child is a 7th grader at FVMS and would be devastated if he had to change schools his last year before high school. I desperately hope this has been considered during the change proposal.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Sara. Rising 8th graders would be eligible to grandfather and stay at their current school under this proposal. Grandfathered students are not eligible for district transportation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Mills 2 months ago

I am in the process of buying a house on Old Stage Rd in Willow Springs, not far from where I now live. I need to have all of my children on the same school calendar and because my oldest is in high school that means I opt for the traditional calendar. I do not understand why a child in southern wake county would be assigned to North Garner Middle and given the calendar option of Dillard Drive Middle over Fuquay Varina Middle? That is the current calendar option, it is much closer and makes much more sense for a student who will be attending Willow Spring High school.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Is Fuquay-Varina Middle being closed and renovated?

0 Votes

No, it's not

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Did you see the link I posted earlier? https://www.wcpss.net/Page/3925?pid=227

0 Votes

They're doing it in parts, and aren't closing it

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Nvmd it was sent to me but it's just in planning phase..

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sue F 2 months ago

This is not an acceptable school assignment for families in Willow Spring. My child who goes to Willow Spring Elem.(because it’s the closest school to my house but isn’t my base) should NOT be assigned to a middle school that is 10 miles away in North Garner. There would be no kids we know there and no older neighbors there. West Lake Middle is 5 miles from my house. I live near the intersection of Old Stage Rd and 42. *****Please revisit your child enrollment stats from my area, about 95% of the families in middle and elementary school are NOT at the base schools you have assigned us to over the last 5 years. So moving us now doesn’t flow with the changes you’ve already allowed families to make.

4 Votes

Default_avatar

Why was there another elementary school built in Willow Springs one mile from Willow Springs? It should have been a Middle School..

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Hodges 2 months ago

We had our base school changed from FVMS to WLMS with the calendar option now being HRMS. Please reconsider busing students all the way to Holly Springs just for middle school. My children will make friends in Fuquay for elementary, go to Holly Springs for middle, only to be shifted back to the Fuquay area for high school.

I understand wanting to align the calendar from Banks to West Lake, but please make the calendar option FVMS. We live off of Air Park Road in Fuquay Varina.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Nora Sherwood 2 months ago

Please explain to me how you think it is acceptable for our children to go to three different cities for their school career. Raleigh for Elementary, Garner for Middle and then Willow Spring for High. They can not make any lasting impacts nor relationships with being shuffled around this much. We live in Willow Spring and love our school. My son has been thrilled about attending FVMS with all of his friends and now you want to move us to Garner where he will know no one. We have been on track 1 for years and now you are putting us in a track 4 only school, with Dillard Drive (clear out in Cary over 30 minutes drive) as our other year round option? I am so completely confused. I was under the impression that we would either stay at WSES or go to SLES since we live in WS, not be moved into Garner/Raleigh schools. This is simply unacceptable to my family.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Mills 2 months ago

The grandfathering option would be great if I didn't have to be at work at 7:30 am. I depend on the bus to get my middle schooler to school. Under this plan I would have one kid at Fuquay/ Willow Spring High, one at Dillard Drive Middle, and another at Aversboro Elementary. Not to mention my 3 year old at daycare in Fuquay. That's if I choose traditional calendar. If I go with year round my kids would be on different calendars and my middle schooler would be at North Garner. Heaven forbid I ever have to pick them all up from school for a dentist appointment. That would be an all day affair!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Caryn Johnson 2 months ago

Can you confirm that if our current 7th grader at FVMS was grandfathered for 8th grade, then our current 5th grader could go there for 6th and stay at FVMS through 8th? Transportation needs to be provided for grandfathered students. It is unreasonable to expect families to provide the transportation.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Sorry for the confusion Caryn, but the grandfathering provision for calendar application students just applies to those proposed to be affected by this change: https://www.wcpss.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=40938 It's for a small number of students currently attending particular calendar application schools, i.e. attending a year-round school when their base it traditional. We are proposing to remove a number of schools as potential calendar application schools, or calendar options, as they were previously known. Have attempted to clarify this on the grandfathering page.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Caryn, under the proposed grandfathering rules, yes your rising 8th grader would be able to grandfather and stay at Fuquay-Varina Middle next year without transportation. Your rising 6th grader would be able to stay next year for one year, but would then move to the new school assignment for 7th and 8th grade. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes
Default_avatar

If that is the case then either siblings need to be able the stay the whole three years or, even better, let FVMS be our traditional option. For years WCPSS has messed with our little section of the county (off Airpark Road), almost all of our base Elementary went to HGMS, even addresses much further from the school, and our little area was FVMS. We dealt with that, moved our elementary kids to our traditional option and followed the rules. Don’t mess with us again and ship our kids all the way over to Holly Ridge AND split families between middle schools because you will not let siblings stay the whole three years. You are sending tons of YR rising 6th graders (WSES students for example) to traditional FVMS as their base, there should be seats set aside for current FVMS families and families who are already traditional option rising 6th graders. You are completely leaving out those of us who are already FVMS families with traditional option Elementary current 5th graders/rising 6th graders.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt, The proposal very clearly says those being affected by calendar option changes can stay the whole time. We are not only being changed from traditional to year round (when we also have traditional elementary kids), but the calendar option is not even our traditional school where we currently are and have always been. Please explain why my rising 6th grader would not be able to stay the whole three years. How on earth would we be expected to get between FVMS for our grandfathered child and HRMS or WLMS for after school activities, any school events or anything? That is unreasonable to expect from families and forcing either child to switch schools mid-middle school so they can be at the same middle school is not good for their education or them socially and certainly does not fall under WCPSS’s goal of stability. Airpark Road has always been a small area of Banks Base that was FVMS, we planned for it (uprooted our two younger kids from Banks and moved them to our traditional option last year when our oldest went to FVMS). Now you want to put us at YR middle school or a totally different traditional middle school while you are leaving FVMS as the base middle for Willow Springs ES families. Feed them to West Lake, YR feeding to YR, and let us have FVMS at a minimum as our traditional option. I get addressing overcrowding at FVMS, we are there, but none of this falls in line with the goals of operational efficiency (bus us right past FVMS at the new location then another 10 minutes to HRMS), stability, or what is best for the students and families.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Can my now 6th grader/ then 7th grader stay at FVMS? If not this will be the second time in 3 years he has been moved. Why is it being said it's a move to fill the new High and Elementary schools, but FVMS is being affected? Very upset and frustrated!

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Teresa, Under this proposal only rising 8th graders would be allowed to grandfather and stay at their current school. The proposed changes to Fuquay-Varina Middle are strictly about reducing crowding at FVMS. Here's the language from this page: https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40943 Purpose: Reduces overcrowding at Fuquay-Varina Middle (121% projected capacity in 2020-21 with no changes). This is particularly important because Fuquay-Varina Middle will be using Herbert Akins Middle for two years starting in 2022 while a new building is under construction. The current student population at Fuquay-Varina Middle of about 1120 would not fit in the Herbert Akins Middle building, which has a capacity of 936.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Parents, this is Matt Dees with WCPSS communications. Just a note to say that we welcome feedback and questions on this site, even critical ones, but please be respectful. We will delete any comments that contain vulgar comments or personal attacks.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Bonnie Duncan 2 months ago

Hey Matt - is there a full map of the current assignment plan recommendations that you could provide a direct link to apart from the address look up tool?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Bonnie, here is a link to yesterday's board presentation, including maps for all the proposed changes. There are before and after maps in the main presentation and detailed proposed base attendance maps at the end of the presentation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40944 Let me know if this gets you what you need.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Zulema Yanez 2 months ago

I think it is ridiculous for this proposed school assignment. I understand having to make changes because Fuquay is over populated and many schools are over crowded. I just think it is unfair and very inconsiderate. Under this proposal my current 6th grader who would be a 7th grader next school year, who just started FVMS would be moved to WLMS? Is there an option for him to get Grandfather? If he would get grandfather how would it affect my current 5th grader, who would be a 6th grader next year? Why can't transportation not be offered to children who are grandfather? It's just ridiculous for my new base assignment for MS to be WLMS or the application option of HRMS. This is just inconvenient because for me FVMS is closer in case I need to get to the school for anything. It's frustrating to have WLMS as the base school that from my address it is 8.1 miles or 14 mins. and it depends on traffic. HRMS is 9.4 miles or 18 min and also depends on traffic. FVMS is 5.3 miles or 10 min traffic is always a factor. This proposal is not very considerate of parents and children. Why make assignments that are more far, it makes no sense. It's just ridiculous that around my area there are 5 ES with the new SLES to 1 MS. For me switching them to a YR is not an option and plain ridiculous. This has not been thought out to see how parents feel and most importantly the children. I don't agree with this and for me it's inconsiderate and frustrating. Not to mention the kids that have to move and make new friends again so they can just leave them at the end because they are moved to a different HS.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Zulema, under the proposed grandfathering rules your current 6th grader would not be eligible to grandfather. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Matt, Thank you for all of your responses. I have another question, is there a map showing what students are being given the option of FVMS as their calendar application school? What areas are being given that option?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Zulema, I completely agree! The board needs to think about the repercussions of changing students to three different towns throughout their school career! Why are Fuquay students being sent to Holly Springs schools? Makes no sense!

Matt, are there other options on the table for keeping the calendar option of FVMS to students living in Fuquay Varina?

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Ashley, FVMS is currently not a calendar application school option and not proposed to be an option.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Ashley, keeping FVMS as a calendar application school would work against the reason for the proposed reassignment, which is to relieve crowding at FVMS.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nancy Adams 2 months ago

In other words, don't bother thinking WCPSS is going to change anything on the FVMS changes. This is a done deal.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt,

Just a follow-up question from our previous discussion, so FVMS is not a calendar option for any students? Also, based on the maps it looks like a large amount of willow springs students are being sent to FVMS. Would you be open to looking at sending those students to a year round school so that traditional students could feed into the traditional school in their area?

One more, has the board thought about having a track that students follow in their academic career. For example, if you exit FVES then you'll be sent to FVMS. If you exit WSES, then you'll be sent to HGMS. Would there be an issue with that? If a student wanted to change their track they could apply, but students already on that track have priority.

Looking forward to your response!

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Correct, FVMS is not a calendar application school. Cannot answer your other questions, but staff and board members can consider those suggestions as they consider changes to the proposal.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

I emailed with our school board rep about exactly what Ashley is suggesting and completely agree. Please consider leaving seats at FVMS for students who are already traditional, have traditional siblings and families already at the school. Why should kids coming out of year round elementary schools be fed to FVMS when there are year round middle schools they could feed to. We understand FVMS is overcrowded, we have a 7th grader there. Traditional year families should be assigned to FVMS before year round families. Please consider current calendars in the revisions, that aligns with WCPSS’s goals is keeping siblings on the same calendar and at the same schools. Thank you.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa Alderson 2 months ago

My family just purchased a home in Kendall Hills subdivision off Old Stage and 42 this past June. One of the main reasons we purchased this home was to get our children into traditional calendar so next year they can be on the same schedule and keep them in Fuquay Schools. My 7th grader attends FVMS and my 5th grader (next year will be 6th grader) is now zoned for Garner Middle? Our new high school will be Willow Springs which makes sense as it is 5 mins down the road. But why would we be zoned for Garner middle? My soon to be 6th grader will be shipped off to Garner for 3 years than go to Willow Springs High where she will know no one?!? At this age they are already so fragile and need have to a solid surrounding of friends and support. Also take into consideration switching Kendall Hills subdivision will make the commute to middle school 45 mins vs 15? Please keep Kendall Hills subdivision in Willow Springs, NC zoned for Fuquay Middle.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Nancy Adams 2 months ago

Here we go again. My subdivision Willow Bluffs, at the corner of Old Stage and Norman Blalock, was redisctriced two years ago for our elementary school. We were pulled out of Willow Springs ES and sent to Banks Rd ES. My son, a then rising 4th grader reluctantly made the switch to Banks Rd. Here we are again two years later and the same kids are going through redistricting again. My same son, who is now a rising 6th grader, was planning on joining his rising 8th grade sister at FVMS, which was going to be wonderful because they would both be on the same calendar. But, again, he is being redistricted - this time for middle school to West Lake MS. Yes, I realize that grandfathering would be available to him as a 6th grader due to his rising 8th grade sister, but without guarantee of him staying for 7th and 8th grade, it would be unfair to do that to him. So it seems our options are: move my 8th grader to WLMS for them both to attend, send my 6th grader to Holly Ridge MS in Holly Springs to keep them both on traditional calendar, or have one child at WLMS on a year round calendar and another child at FVMS on a traditional calendar. None of those are appealing options. Please consider keeping the Willow Bluffs subdivision at FVMS and not using the same exact children you used two years ago to balance out another overcrowded school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Bonnie Duncan 2 months ago

Dear Board of Education Members and staff- With specific consideration of the movement of students from my area, south of Hwy 42 off Old Stage Road (the east side of Old Stage; Kendall Hills subdivision), from Fuquay Middle School to the recommended base options of North Garner and Dillard Drive Middle Schools I ask that you strongly consider the following information. From the personal side, I understand how these recommendations arrived in the Envision document for the 2020-21 school year based on the information considered. More specifically, I understand the need for changes to account for school renovation upgrades and new schools in general. I also understand and know that no one wants to see their children move further from home or be displaced from their peer groups and staff who know and love these kids. That to me says a lot about the staff our county and school administrators hire, and the passion our community shares for these schools and our kids. It honestly makes me proud to be a part of this community and drives my enthusiasm to be such an active part of both the schools my kids are enrolled in.
On the logistical side and as a participant in “the movement” already, with a daughter who is a 9th grader at Fuquay Varina High School (FVHS) in the temporary Willow Springs High School space, we were excited to get to experience the brand new school environment with amazing upgrades, facilities and space. This space is also only 4 miles from our home which is record setting travel distance for our family to get our kids to and from school. As FVHS opened in this new space this past August, traffic logistics were not adequately addressed and this has led to many dangerous and frustrating experiences for parents and students at this new and beautiful location. For example, the new high school is exactly 4.6 miles from my home, but it takes me 20 minutes to get there as I live on the east side of the school and cannot make a left turn into the drop off / staff parking lot entrance (off Honeycutt Road) at drop off time or at pick-up time due to hazardous road conditions, traffic and a police officer. Fuquay Police are heavily involved directing traffic at both of these times to help keep travelling commuters (who are not part of the school community), parents and students safe. Student accidents have occurred directly in front of the school due to not having a stoplight at Kennebec and Honeycutt Roads, but also due to the massively increased traffic pattern surrounding the school adding more than 2,200 to that corner. To make matters worse, parents unwilling to make the long commute to Highway 55 and Honeycutt Road so that they can make a right turn into the school (as Fuquay Varina Police staff are requiring), are dropping their kids off in the dark to cross over a heavily trafficked Kennebec Road. Keep in mind, this is the side of the school ALL of the driving and bus riding students must enter on and these kids are crossing in front of new drivers and people who have NOTHING to do with the school who are not paying attention like parents. These are all issues Dr. Robinson (our Area Superintendent), Mr. McCotter (our principal), Wake County Transportation staff as well as Fuquay Varina Planning, and Police staff are all working actively to address – but I mention it all here as it’s a very important learning experience for what these Envision recommendations could easily bring but on a much larger and even more dangerous scale. As a side note, I want to point out that busing is not an option for my child at FVHS as she student teaches and is on an Elite Dance Company in Fuquay Varina immediately after school.
The recommended changes for my location are to move my middle school child to North Garner Middle as his base or Dillard Drive Middle as his traditional calendar option. To keep my kids on the same schedule and to keep my work time / load and my husband’s work time manageable, for orchestrating many things both inside and outside of our school days, work and other plans we make, we would prefer our children be on the same schedule as I think most families would prefer. Dillard Drive is simply out of our reach for travel and I cannot even imagine how long a bus ride this would be for our son from where we live to this location. This is simply unreasonable. I live exactly 5 miles from the Harnett County line, within the very bottom point of Wake County. I will address my concerns regarding that recommendation after I respond to the “base recommendation” of North Garner Middle School.
Apart from the concerns I have regarding putting my children on two different schedules, my concerns for North Garner are even more immense due to several factors. The lead issue is the construction of I-540, slated to begin this year and well into the next few years. Within the impact area there are at least 3 major exit ramps as well as at least 4 overpasses which will be newly constructed truly circumventing our access to Garner from the south (from Highway 401 to Benson Road /Highway 50 and even as far as I-40 - basically all our access north into Garner). As a previous Supervisor with the NC Division of Mitigation Services, I worked closely with the NC Department of Transportation for years. I understand well how the Transportation Improvement Plan and the road planning, budgeting, and development / implementation process works. There are two sections of this development (R-2721 and R-2828) which will cover from Highway 55 to I-40, that currently have awarded design-build contracts in place. Based on this progress, the notion of construction is no longer papers and documents, it is slated to actively begin by the end of this year and well into the next few years. I encourage you to verify this information at: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/complete-540/Pages/default.aspx or by contacting Dennis Jerrigan, P.E., the Director of Highway Operations with the Turnpike Authority for NC Department of Transportation. These are very important factors for consideration.
From where I live specifically, our main access and the most efficient way to get to North Garner from our home is to travel Old Stage Road to Vandora Springs Road. These roads are already HEAVILY traveled by people in our area heading into downtown and north Raleigh and people travelling to get to I-40 which is exactly why the 540 construction has been a priority for years. NC Department of Transportation’s Improvement Program has had this road on the needs list and has planned for it for several years due to growth and development needs and pressures. This existing problem along with necessary construction, are and will be further impacted as Old Stage and Vandora Springs Roads (and every other access point we have to get into Garner apart from Hwy 401) are 2 lane roads which makes navigating or traveling anywhere only as fast as the car in front of you.
Compounding these issues is the time factor as there are two established elementary schools within our path to get to North Garner Middle School with very similar hours. This is important to realize as people coming from my area as well as buses will have to leave very early and may be returning very late as our timing will be unpredictable due to other schools beginning and ending carpool times as well as traffic and construction delays. North Garner Middle School’s hours of operation are from 8:30am-3:15pm. To get to North Garner, I have to directly pass both Vance Elementary School which operates 8:15AM-3:45PM and Vandora Springs Elementary School, which operates from 8:30AM-3:00PM. I know the start and stop times are staggered a small amount to allow for shared busing, timing, etc. but this recommendation forces parents from my area to be actively on these roads at the times other schools are also accommodating drop off and pick up, again on 2 lane roads. These obstacles will further impede the roads and create delays and even more hazardous conditions. If the hours of operation begin at 8:30am, parents are usually able to drop their kids off about 30 minutes ahead of that to eat breakfast if needed, and take care of other things before they begin their instructional day. This puts us ALL in the heat of normal rush hour within our area, not to even mention the school’s massive drop off and exodus.
When looking at the census / “heat” maps and Google Maps I fully understand and see how the North Garner recommendation was made, however what looks like a 12 mile, not too far drive, is truly impeded by several obstacles that neither the census map nor Google Maps can account for. The traditional school recommendation for Dillard Drive will have many of the very same complicating factors that getting to North Garner Middle School has from our area with a much further distance to travel. From my home just on Google Maps the distance is more than 16 miles and noted as a 30 minute drive time. This is another area that requires travel by two lane roads that are heavily impacted by new construction, major surrounding development and other school timing issues. My main access to Dillard Drive Middle is via Hilltop Road (which puts me in the throes of all the traffic surrounding Optimist Farm Road where West Lake Middle, Elementary, and Middle Creek High School and Elementary all exist and operate) or Ten-Ten Road to Yates Mill Pond Road directly passing Yates Mill Elementary conflicting with another school during rush hour times. My daughter attended West Lake Middle School and that commute was 30 minutes from my driveway – and I’m very familiar with the traffic complications in that area. Dillard Drive will be a much longer commute than even that.
I strongly encourage you to rethink and reconsider our reassignment recommendations for my area. Traffic and development are something we all have to live with and adapt to, but we have to think more logistically and practically about who is being moved based on these well documented coming impacts and occurrences this year and in the next few years limiting and constraining our access especially to the north.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Curtis Ayers 2 months ago

If I am assigned to North Garner middle from FV middle, will I gave a traditional calendar option? There is not one in the address look up tool.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Nora Sherwood 2 months ago

Dillard Drive clear in CARY

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

Curtis, sorry for delayed reply, but confirming that Nora Sherwood is correct. Dillard Drive is the proposed traditional calendar application school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Curtis Ayers 2 months ago

Most of the other changes kind of make since but the middle school changes do not look as if they are well thought out. Why don't you try to keep kids closer to the school. There is a big area up 401 that is assigned to holly grove that looks like it should be assigned the north garner and then those kids would be closer to there school.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jenny Dean 2 months ago

We recently moved off of 42 in willow springs. I have 4 kids ranging from 12-2. This current recommendation will put my children in schools in Raleigh, Garner and Willow Springs, each of the proposed schools other than the hs is 30+ minutes from our home. I think it is completely unfair to our pocket of the area that our children are being thrown into a map without any regard for them rather they are just a number that needs to be moved to receive overcrowding. How is that our fault? How can I as a parent support my children in 3 different schools in 3 different cities??? How can I as a parent support those 3 schools or be an active part of the community my children attend school in when I am 30 min away from each of them.? How can my children ever feel like they can get to make any lasting relationships with children who will never attend each of the schools they are being assigned to all over the map? I am so saddened by this decision. My son currently attends FvMS my daughter willow springs elementary and I have one entering kindergarten next year and another coming up. We do dance, baseball, doctors, dentists, church, gymnastics soccer, basketball in FV moving our kids to Garner for middle school will seriously hinder all of these things. Please please please reconsider this change to North Garner Middle. It is bad for parents and children alike. The alternate option of Dillard Drive is equally ridiculous.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jenny Dean 2 months ago

Forgot to mention that it seems strange to me that with the opening of south lakes elementary school that the children of willow springs can not go to willow springs elementary. We are literally 9 min away from wses and 15 from Vance. How, with the moving of so many children from wses to sles are the residence of willow springs still not able to attend wses?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Sikes about 1 month ago

October 7, 2019

Dear Wake County Board of Education and staff: We appreciate your time and efforts to manage and coordinate any project associated with improving the Wake County Public School system. We live in Wake County, District 2, primarily for this wonderful school system and value the education our kids are receiving. We understand this is the largest system in the North Carolina so these tasks are certainly arduous. We’ve been residents to Wake County for over 22 years, and have lived in the southern Wake area for over 15 years. My husband is a native North Carolinian and is a Land Use Planner, while I have commuted to north Raleigh on a daily basis for 15 years, so we know this area well and can foresee more issues on the horizon if this redistricting plan goes forward as written. As Wake County’s population continues to grow proper planning will be paramount to handle new students. Every two or three years of redistricting cannot be the best answer for the kids, parents, staff, elected officials, etc. Constant redistricting seems to be a temporary solution to a consistent problem. Every time a new redistricting plan is announced our family gets a nervous, fearful feeling. Wake County development patterns are not sporadic and master plans are designed to account for such regional issues.
In regards to Draft 1 of the 2020-2021 Enrollment Proposal, assignments from Fuquay Middle to North Garner and Dillard Drive Middle, our family with three school age children (7th, 5th and K) strongly object to this proposal. We live 0.8 of a mile south of Highway 42 off Old Stage Road in the Kendall Hills subdivision (5 miles from the Harnett County line). As proposed within Draft 1, our current options are North Garner Middle School (track 4 only) and Dillard Drive Middle School (traditional). These two options would create an extreme hardship on our family as our three children are on a year-round calendar, Track 1.
If Census data is being used as a tool for redistricting, etc, then using the basic Census Tract maps provides a geographic reference to support why students within Kendall Hills subdivision should not be sent to the proposed middle schools (a map for reference will be emailed to staff & Board members). Morning and evening commute times continue to increase, with numerous congestion points along two lane Old Stage Road at the Hwy 42, Ten Ten Road, and Vandora Springs intersections. The current Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP 2040) does not project Old Stage Road to be improved anytime soon, nor to include improvements to all of these already congested intersections. For reference, a map with traffic counts will be emailed to staff & Board members. This information is applicable at these intersections, as well at intersections of potential travel routes if going to Dillard or North Garner Middle. Per Google®, using basic mileage and posted speed limits to estimate travel time, a route without any construction or traffic delays to North Garner is approximately 12 miles and 24 minute drive to or a 16 mile 30 minute commute to Dillard Drive Middle. Additionally, the construction pertaining to other projects (surrounding residential and infrastructure development) and more extensively as associated with the SE portion of the Triangle Expressway/ Hwy 540, commutes will be even more extended. (a map for reference will be emailed to staff & Board members). If additional school traffic is added, the above traffic numbers and commute times will double if not triple for many households in Kendall Hills. We do not understand why neighborhoods along Old Stage Road just north and south of Kendall Hills/Hwy 42 are being sent to schools all over; Blalock Forest: ¾ mile north of Highway 42 on Old Stage Road kids going to West Lake; Honeycutt Landing: 2 ½ miles south of Highway 42 on Old Stage Road are going to Fuquay Varina schools. Why are Kendall Hill students proposed to go to Dilliard Drive or North Garner? Moving students to other schools during construction of new schools or renovation of old schools should not cause such a disruption to students and their families. Wake County voters continue to vote for school bonds, etc, so applying a portion of these funds to use with additional transportation could be a future benefit. Perhaps a potential partnership with GoRaleigh, GoTriangle, and others could be formed for student transportation. Also, driver/ job training and driver promotional options to recruit new drivers could be considered. One factor that was listed for this enrollment proposal was to improve transportation efficiency. This does not seem to be a possibility with the limited transportation options that are provided. It is a contradiction to send Kendall Hills students to Dillard Drive Middle and/ or North Garner Middle. So, please consider the traffic, construction, and extreme hardship and exclude Kendall Hills from this redistricting. Thank you for your time and cooperation, Amy & James Sikes

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Sandy Chen about 1 month ago

My kid( 1st grade) attend White Oak elementary in the current year and the proposed move is to Salem ES. We bought a house in the neighborhood that they can attend White oaks Traditional and not a YR school. My kid love the school. And White Oak school is much nearer to our home compared to Salem ES.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Teresa Renken about 1 month ago

I'm confused as to why my child was changed from his Elementary School in the 2018-2019 School. He again is placed with his friends then a year later get sent to another school. This is BS. When he was pulled from WSES they lost teachers. Then one mile down the road you build another elementary school next to the new high school. Why? I'm telling you this is why children can't make and keep life long friends. My child for the last few years go to as many schools as some of my family in the military. This is unacceptable. My son should not have to be moved so many times.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Nora Sherwood about 1 month ago

Where is the map of the lines? I can't find it. I've heard Old Stage Rd is the cut off to Fuquay and Willow Springs schools. Is that true? If so, I strongly recommend that you make Mt. Pleasant Rd the cut off. There are only a handful of houses on Mt. Pleasant Rd that would love to be able to stay in their school district. Please consider keeping our kids with their own town and their own friends rather than putting them in Cary or Garner. At least give us the option to apply/transfer and drive them in.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Timothy Elkins about 1 month ago

Thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion regarding the proposal for school reassignment.  My daughter is currently in the 6th grade at FVMS.  We live in Willow Spring.  Under the current proposal, she will be moved to NGMS for her 7th and 8th grade year, then moved to WSHS for her high school career.  I'm concerned for this move because she will be taken out of one community and placed in another community for two short years, then forced to return to her original community - after the relationships she has worked hard to form in middle school have ended.  I'm concerned she will never feel part of a school or community.

I'm also concerned about traveling times and distances.  As I type this letter, my GPS states we live 9.5 miles away from FVMS with an approximate 18 minute drive.  The distance to NGMS is noted to be 13 miles with an approximate 24 minute drive.  While that does not seem like a lot in the evening, as it is currently 9:15 pm, these times will both change with morning traffic.  I'm concerned our drive to NGMS will easily become a 30+ minute drive due to having to travel so many already congested roads to get there.  Furthermore, one possible route takes us completely out of Wake County, into Johnston, and back to get to the proposed school.    

My child has invested into FVMS.  As a 6th grade student, she has already established a "student daily responsibility" with our media specialist, purchased FVMS spirit wear, purchased a FVMS PE shirt, and established a manager position on the school's volleyball team.  Moving to a new school as a 7th grade student would create hardship because these roles and procedures have already been adopted and mastered by that population of students.  It would also be inconsiderate to expect her to learn another schools rules and procedures when she has mastered these at her current school  

Currently, my wife and I both work in the Fuquay-Varina/Holly Spring area.  If our daughter is expected to attend school at NGMS, it would create a hardship for us to be involved in her school experiences. We could never make it to banquets, awards ceremonies, sporting events, curriculum nights....without putting a strain on our on careers/work attendance.  Additionally, her pediatrician, dentist, and orthodontist are also in the FV/HS area.    Moving schools would create a burden when scheduling appointments.  Currently, we are able to schedule after school appointments; however, if she is at NGMS she will begin to have absences because there is no way to get her in an appropriate time and make it back to the area for her current physicians.  

I realize most individuals say children are resilient and most students overcome school reassignment issues.  However, why create undo stress for our 6th grade child for two years?  I understand students in elementary school have more time to adjust because there is more time in the elementary school years.  However, there are three short years in middle school and having to attend two different communities during those three years can really hinder a students ability to prosper and succeed.   Will she feel like or be treated as an outsider when she returns to her community and attends WSHS?     Will she ever have the opportunity to merge back into the peer groups she has already established as a 6th grade student?  These are questions that can't be answered, I realize; however, these are important issues to her.

Finally, I cannot understand how students can be moved from a higher achieving school to an educational setting where students are performing at lower mastery levels.  How can we guarantee that with the changes our student will not regress?  I realize schools are more than scores.  However, it is unreasonable to make it mandatory for students to switch to under performing locations.      

With my aforementioned concerns, I respectfully request you support 6th grade students to stay at FVMS so they can continue their career with their current community instead of pulling them out for two years and pushing them back for their high school career at WSHS.  

Thank you for your consideration.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Nancy Adams about 1 month ago

We have a rising 8th grader at FVMS and a rising 6th grader. Making our 8th grader move is not an option. Having our 6th grader start at FVMS and then have to move to West Lake MS is not really an option either. We are probably going to end up with two different kids, at two different middle schools, on two different calendars. This is not a great option, but the least of all evils, I guess. Please consider allowing the rising 6th graders to stay at FMVS for 7th and 8th grade. I will be more than fine in not having transportation to accomplish this option.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Bonnie Duncan about 1 month ago

Could we possibly get a map with the latest Wake Census data which was just received along with the neighborhood boundaries being considered?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Could we also know what the capacity and current use statistics are for Holly Ridge Middle School since it is one of few traditional calendar schools in our area? There are charts that provide this information in the board presentation for Fuquay Varina MS, Holly Grove MS, N Garner MS and W Lake MS - but not Holly Ridge. Thank you!!

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Bonnie - Hope this info helps:

Link for Economic Health Index used for Magnet http://wake.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=a6bc20c0a52a44f2ae56bcedfd872412

Crowding of Holly Ridge MS

1127 enrolled

936 capacity without trailers

120% crowded without trailers

1300 capacity with trailers

87% crowded with trailers

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Teresa Renken about 1 month ago

I attended the October 29th open house for this particular proposal. When we saw the map and ask questions about why and how our children are going different schools it made absolutely no sense. I noticed also that there's just no rhyme or reason for anything. When I asked why there was an elementary school built a mile from another elementary school I was told it was because Wake county just buys land and depending on how big that piece of property is is what size school goes there. I also noticed that you guys are transferring kids out of Banks road. Didn't you guys just transfer a ton of children in there from Willow Springs? I also want to know why kids from Holly Springs are going to Fuquay-Varina high School you're moving kids from Willow Springs to Westlake which is considered Carey Apex why can't these children go to schools in the communities that they have grown up in? when I ask this question the gentleman said that because farmer Joe's property might sell in a couple years which would put 500 houses in that area. Well farmers Joe's property hasn't sold yet? My husband did say that one of the things that the school board should consider is maybe next year instead of having the 6th graders who are raising from fifth grade go to Fuquay maybe you should go ahead and transfer them before they make relationships and friends with administration teachers and peers. Wake county has no rimma reason for anything. I noticed after looking at the map that there's one neighborhood way off of highway 70 It's being transported all the way to Westlake? One neighborhood? They are surrounded by a bunch of other neighborhoods that are going to North Garner? Not sure why that one teeny tiny little neighborhood is going to be transferred to Westlake. I asked the gentleman behind the table If you guys actually drove the areas that you're transferring students to. He said yes. And also proceeded to tell me that from highway 70 all the way to Westlake during morning our traffic would take 20 minutes. That's not true. It'll take you or to get there. No I'm upset because in 2018 we were transferred out of my son's last year of elementary school. And now he's finally back with his friends. In our community. Just to be transferred to a totally different school to make totally different friends and relationships just to be transferred back to Willow Springs high School. there's a wonder why students and our children nowadays don't make lasting relationships. When I asked about because we're going from traditional calendar to year-round calendar I was told that traditional would be offered but no seat would be guaranteed. So pretty much he was saying you guys were going to force us to go wherever you want us to go no matter what. And there's a wonder why everybody in the Willow Springs area is saying they wish they were just annexed by Johnston county. Justin county doesn't have these problems harnett county doesn't have these problems and if you tell me it's because they're not growing at the right away county that's BS. I've been here since 1991. This has happened over and over and over again. It makes absolutely no sense. It would be nice if you guys would post the map on this particular thread so everybody who's talking about this thread can actually see how stupid the map looks. I hope you guys seriously consider the fact that you guys are sending kids from one town to another when there's children in that town that you're sending back to the town it's just make no sense. with all of the money that this school board wastes on building unneeded schools and transporting students around on buses You could probably if planned correctly plan proper schools in proper areas and not have to spin the hundreds of thousands on buses and bus transportation. No wonder why you guys can't bus get bus drivers. reason why the reason why you guys can't get enough bus drivers because you guys are transporting kids all over God's great creation for no reason. If you just did what normal states and normal counties around the country did you wouldn't waste so much money busting children when you could use that money in classrooms for teachers. I am very disgruntled very upset. You better believe me I will be at the November 19th school board meeting. By the way we noticed that the board members who were supposed to be there Tuesday night we're not making themselves known. Because when we got home my husband looked up the pictures and we recognized every single one of the ones that were there. And noticed not a single one of them wanted to have a serious discussion with anybody they hid They stayed anonymous. If you're so ashamed of what you're doing where you won't actually speak to the parents who are at your function maybe you're doing something wrong.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
jay sikes about 1 month ago

Matt....If capacity is the biggest issue, why are there several year around schools in this area only one track specific? Among other concerns, this is a big issue when redistricting students on Y1, Y2, or Y3 to N.Ganer MS which seems to be only Y4.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Jay,

Multi-track schools are moved to the single track when the enrollment does not adequately fill the school. We convert to single track instead of traditional calendar to minimize the impact on families.

A couple of years ago, staff proposed converting some single-track schools to either multi-track or traditional, but the Board did not support the proposal. Many parents objected to changing their school's calendar.

Moving forward, the Board will be looking to address school calendars as part of an all-encompassing evaluation of school needs across the district. We have begun work with RTI https://www.rti.org/ to help guide board discussions and, later, community conversations about a wide range of issues, to include calendars. Based on that work, staff will make recommendations at a later date, if necessary

Hope this helps.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
jay sikes about 1 month ago

Matt, Per the 10/29 mtg, we were asked to provide options & data related issues vs personal opinions, so... - current & future school capacity is their #1 issue

• Transportation is not as great of an issue as capacity may be however, it is a big, big factor for everyone now, and more specifically in the future with the fast approaching 540 construction. Every major intersection north of Hwy 42 will be under construction during the span of this proposal. Buses and car-riders will suffer during an extended, congested ride to & from school. This is a big deal to the affected families, school buses, students productivity that should be considered.

• Although not my preference, but an option could be this proposal only apply to rising 6th graders and omit existing 7th & 8th graders. Especially if this is a 3 yr plan, the rising 6th graders would then be at their potentially new school for the duration of this plan.

• ‘Grandfathering’ amendments should be considered. This may have been posted by someone else earlier, but if having to plan for worst case scenario which takes into account new students from new developments, home-schoolers, charter students, etc, priority should be given to all existing students at their existing school. Then the ‘options’ that exist within the system can be applied to the new students that fill-in upon availability at their next closest school. Yes, the County has to offer public education to all students, but if new students move to the area, or existing students have elected an alternative there is no justified reason for them to supersede existing students at affected schools.

• Dillard Dr M.S.: This cannot be the most reasonable traditional option for some of the Willow Spring students. More info from staff & the Board for this choice would be appreciated.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Caryn Johnson about 1 month ago

After speaking with the WCPSS representative at the forum at Fuquay-Varina High School he suggested posting on here again about the need for this plan to allow kids who start at FVMS to be allowed to stay the full three years, meaning our rising 6th grader who could attend because of her grandfathered rising 8th grader would be allowed to stay all three years. He made it very clear that this is a reasonable request that he would support. It is not reasonable, or good for any student, to move them for the 8th grade year (WCPSS seems to get that), it is not reasonable or good for the sibling student to move after 6th grade and it is not reasonable (and against WCPSS goals/guidelines) to have siblings at two different middle schools. Allowing the rising 6th grader to stay all three years fixes all of that.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Nancy Adams about 1 month ago

Yes, this exact scenario will apply to us. We will not move our rising 8th grader out of FVMS - it would not be fair to her. We also would not start our rising 6th grader at FVMS under grandfathering because that is not fair to him. It does not make sense to get him started at a middle school (which is already a difficult transition) and then have to switch him to West Lake MS for 7th and 8th grade and try to ingrain into new friend groups, not to mention adjusting back to a year round schedule after one year of traditional schedule in 6th grade, and year-round for all of elementary. The least disruptive option for our children's educational and emotional well-being would be two different children at two different middle schools on two different calendars. But is this really a good option? No, it is not. If WCPSS would allow grandfathered rising 6th graders to stay at FVMS for 7th and 8th grade, this awful problem would be eliminated. I respectfully ask that the Board seriously consider this option. I would like to see the actual number of children that would be in this scenario. I cannot imagine it would be that many.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Caryn Johnson about 1 month ago

Nancy Adams, please also reach out to your school board member. Monika Johnson Hostler has been very responsive to my emails. I agree that there probably are not that many of us, so we need to make sure we are heard.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

• When we (Kendall Hills Subdivision neighborhood representatives), spoke to School Board Members at the forum you agreed to revisit the new census numbers provided by Wake County to look at the population counts regarding our neighborhood verses others in our area. When Draft 1 was initially released for comment, previous information stated data was based on census info, which is only every 10 years. The next official census count is 2020, however statistics are estimated annually from municipal entities and used as a ‘best available data’ planning tool. Since these annual numbers are estimates, some of the information staff uses & Board members receive from the towns are often exaggerated. For example, it could be logically inferred that Fuquay-Varina's growth could wane due to their reduced ETJ expansion request. The Kendall Hills neighborhood was within the initial request, but has since been omitted from the expansion as a result of the recent decision made by Wake County Commissioners.

While we hope the new numbers being considered from the county better account for our neighborhood and area population, changing the current draft school assignment boundary for North Garner / Dillard Drive automatically, we still need you to closely validate and check into this information. Our neighborhood is small, with one way in and one way out, containing only 71 residences. The closest middle school in proximity to our homes is Fuquay-Varina Middle School (7.5 miles from our neighborhood). The need to account for school assignment for new subdivisions being built and planned should not supersede the needs of existing Wake County residents who have students enrolled in Wake County Public Schools. Existing students / existing residences should have some level of immunity or assistance in these decisions. We recommend that the students of Kendall Hills be permitted to attend closer schools than those proposed in the Draft 1 school assignments. The majority of our students in middle school within Kendall Hills currently attend Fuquay-Varina Middle and West Lake Middle Schools.

• Another consideration to alleviate what could be a short term and short sighted reassignment strategy, is grandfathering for all rising 7th and 8th graders and for any siblings through 2022 for Fuquay-Varina Middle School and West Lake Middle School students. This decision promotes Stability, Proximity and Operational Efficiency which are the large portions of the Board’s rubric in assignment considerations. There are some very important realities to consider in this recommendation that may indeed help the School Board later into next year before making a short sited decision to reassign in the 2020-21 school year.

Capacity at Fuquay-Varina Middle School during renovation is completely unknown, and will not be realized until some intense studies are developed. As the design and build contractors have been selected for the Fuquay-Varina Middle School renovation, an Advanced Planning and Feasibility Study will begin next year. This study along with other information will largely account for whether or not the school must be closed to execute renovations or whether or not it can be done in phases, allowing a portion of the campus to function and operate with students and staff on campus. The study will determine if the proper number of plumbing facilities, functionality of spaces, like the cafeteria and appropriate administrative spaces, can operate to determine the level of renovation or construction that will be required. Wake County Public Schools have been renovated under both paradigms – some planned this way and some not.

Cary High School is one example where renovations occurred along the edges of the property while a subset of the student population was moved into swing space, keeping the campus partially functional. Apex High School was the opposite of this example, as buildings constructed in the 1990s were thought to be improvable, however, the Advanced Planning and Feasibility Studies found cracked foundation walls, which led to cost efficiency in full reconstruction. This created the need to move all students off campus during the reconstruction. In both of these examples, decisions for design and construction / renovation needs were based on the Advanced Planning and Feasibility Studies.

We do not currently know what this study will tell the Facilities Directors or other Wake County staff for Fuquay-Varina Middle School. The study will accurately indicate what code issues are present and the condition of equipment on campus based on life safety. The determinations of this study could lead to needing more reassignments as currently Herbert Akins is already not large enough. Without knowing this information we ask that you hold off on this particular reassignment for rising 7th and 8th graders to assess what the true needs of the school will dictate and make necessary reassignments based on solid information. The Design Narrative will follow the building study for Fuquay-Varina Middle School leading to options for daylighting and staging with active feedback through the course of design. A construction manager will then assess the design work to determine staging area needs, schedule of impacts and costs. This contractor will dictate what can and cannot be done with students on campus based on the Design Narrative and Final Design. This information will not be available for 2 years. We ask that this be strongly considered in this process. Jumping to reassignment now to plan for what we do not know and then needing to reassign again will create an even more disruptive outcome amongst students and parents in our community.

Just in terms of social stability, middle school years are tough for all kids, not just our own. It would be more logical to start new students (rising 6th graders) in a new location where they can stay for all 3 years over moving everyone around. Moving students who are rising 7th and 8th graders from Fuquay-Varina Middle and West Lake (our current base school options) creates social instability for those who have already started their middle school journey at these schools. The leap from elementary to middle school is one of the greatest in a child’s academic career. Having a new routine, lockers, knowing the campus and trusting the staff wherever you are in middle school is so vital to a child’s stability during these transformative years.

We know this is not at the top of the rubric considered in reassignment – but ask that you not ignore these giant ripple effects on our households. The draft grandfathering rules allow rising 8th graders to stay at Fuquay-Varina Middle School and West Lake Middle, we ask that this same provision be extended to rising 7th graders as well as their siblings. This consideration could promote a less disruptive outcome for our rising 7th graders and allow new 6th graders to begin and end their middle school years under one middle school assignment.

• Per the information within the “School Population Report 2019-20” dated 9/27/2019 along with 2020-2021 map and chart on pages 34 & 35 of Draft 1, it seems adequate capacity, utilizing trailers, would exist at similar distance middle school options as compared to the North Garner option and much closer than the Dillard Drive Middle School option proposed. The school population report and trailer capacity numbers do not support sending our children further away. For a visual reference, the '20-21' map on page 34 within the Board Presentation seems to show the small indented section of our Kendall Hills neighborhood area (just south of the Hwy 42 & Old Stage Road intersection, almost shown as a yellow bay area). Please see the map reference below.
Although remaining at Fuquay-Varina Middle and West Lake Middle Schools is our first priority, if this becomes unattainable, other school alternatives to be considered for our neighborhood could include Holly Ridge Middle School (which appears to have a capacity for a traditional option) or calendar options, Holly Grove Middle School or West Lake Middle School. Information from Matt Dees concerning Holly Ridge Middle School is as follows (and this information as not included in the Board Presentation materials for Draft 1): Crowding of Holly Ridge MS: 1,127 enrolled; 936 capacity without trailers; 120% crowded without trailers; 1300 capacity with trailers; 87% crowded with trailers. Again, this is not our preference but are other options to consider.
These school options also help align households with younger siblings in year round, schools that have four tracks with other middle schools with four year round track options. This recommendation also helps the proximity of traditional calendar schools to those with sibling students at Fuquay-Varina High School and the soon to open Willow Springs High School.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

The previous comment is submitted and supported by the following Kendall Hills Residents: Bonnie & Chris Duncan (7129 Sarahwood Court, Willow Springs) Amy & Jay Sikes (1612 Kendall Hill Road, Willow Springs) Christina and Anthony Heim (1513 Shanna Hills Drive) Mark and Lynn Vivirito (1616 Kritiwood Court) Katie Gregory and Kevin Webb (1617 Kendall Hill Road) Sue and Matt Fury (1613 Kendall Hill Road)

0 Votes