Parents, We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

UPDATE 10/03: We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh

On Oct. 1, staff members presented Draft 1 of a new Student Enrollment Proposal to the Board of Education.

The proposal includes proposed school assignment changes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.

This is the beginning of a community conversation that is scheduled to conclude with the school board adopting a final plan on Dec. 3.

Find out if you are proposed to be affected.

You are encouraged to visit www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal for more information about the proposal and to check for updates as the process moves forward.

Why is this being proposed?

To keep up with population growth and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re building two new schools: 

• South Lakes Elementary, 1433 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2020

• Willow Spring High School, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2021

The majority of proposed school assignment changes will be related to the opening of these two new schools in Fuquay-Varina.

Other components of the proposal are aimed at relieving overcrowded schools, better utilizing under-enrolled schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

How can I ask questions and provide feedback?

The best way to provide feedback and ask questions about the proposal is to visit our online forum. This will ensure staff members, school board members and your fellow parents see your questions and feedback. Staff members will respond to questions in a timely fashion. Staff members and board members will also review and consider all feedback as they work toward a second draft of the proposal and, ultimately, the final approved plan. 

What is the process for arriving at a final plan?

We will respond to questions and review feedback online for the next several weeks. We also will host three Open House public information sessions where you can learn more about the proposal and ask questions of staff members. We will announce dates and locations soon.

Staff members will present Draft 2 to the school board for discussion on Nov. 5. A public hearing will be held on Nov. 19, providing the opportunity to speak before the full board. A final vote is expected on Dec. 3.

Proposal: Some students attending Wake Forest High would be assigned to Wakefield High.

Purpose: Reduces overcrowding at Wake Forest High while also accounting for future growth, and better utilizes Wakefield High. Additionally, the base attendance area proposed to move to Wakefield High is currently assigned to Wakefield Middle.

Please share your questions and feedback about this proposal in the thread below.

41 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Tracey Thomas 16 days ago

My son will be a Junior during the 2020-2021 school year. Will he be grandfathered to remain at Wake Forest High School?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 16 days ago

Tracey, yes, he would be eligible to grandfather, under the current proposal. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Darlene Loop 16 days ago

My daughter will be a junior for the 2020-2021 school year as well. She is currently at Wake Forest High School. We are contracting on a new home that is also assigned to Wake Forest High School currently but with this new proposal will be reassigned to Wakefield. When we do a change of address, will we be considered as a transfer, and will we have the option to stay at Wake Forest High School or will Wakefield be our only option? We would not have contracted on the home knowing our child could be affected academically and socially for her last two years of high school so this greatly impacts our consideration in this home buying process.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Darlene, your best bet is to call the Office of Student Assignment at 919-431-7333. A representative will be able to walk you through your options.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sharon Miller 16 days ago

My son will be a senior in the 2020-2021 school year he already has scholarship leads based on his work and future work at Wake Forest High School. He also has ordered a high school class ring for Wake Forest High School. We are not quite sure we understand the recent communications about the new student proposal. Are these changes only for new students and will he be able to stay at Wake Forest? Thanks in advance.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Sharon, Your son would be eligible to grandfather and stay at WFHS under the current proposal. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jamie Strickland 16 days ago

My daughter will be a junior in the 2020-2021 school year. She went to middle school at Wakefield middle but was separated from her friends because her high school was going to be at Wake Forest High. Now that she’s been enrolled at Wake Forest high school for the past two years, she’s going to be yanked away yet again? This is getting ridiculous. She was completely heartbroken. Maybe this proposal should limit itself to rising freshman, not students that have already been attending for the past two years.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Jamie, under the current proposal, your daughter would be eligible to grandfather and stay at Wake Forest High. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Jamie Strickland 16 days ago

Thank you for responding. She will be thrilled to hear this.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kim Collins 16 days ago

I have twin girls who just started at wake forest high school. Adjusting to high school is hard enough for these kids and then you want to move them out. Being a teenager is a struggle in this society.. please don’t mess these kids up by making them make an additional adjustment . If it needs to be done it should be for the rising freshman

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Kim, your daughters would be eligible to grandfather and stay at Wake Forest High, under the current proposal. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melissa Bouyounan 16 days ago

Rising Freshman who are new registers and who have no other siblings...but I've got one finishing Middle and one trailing behind. There should be a grandfathering if that's the case. I have no intention of sending my children to Wakefield.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Melissa, here is the proposed grandfathering policy. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Joseph Sheehan 16 days ago

We specifically moved to this area to go to Wake Forest High School and to specifically AVOID Wakefield. Is there going to be any options for kids to lottery in or transfer to Wake Forest or are we going to have to sell our house and move? Not sure how building 2 new schools in F-V means we all have to be moved around like chess pieces.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Joseph, this move is unrelated to the new schools in Fuquay-Varina. Here are the proposed rules for students being allowed to stay at their current school even if their assignment does change. Hi Kim, your daughters would be eligible to grandfather and stay at Wake Forest High, under the current proposal. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Thanks for showing the Grandfathering rules but that doesn’t help those of us who spent multiple thousands of dollars to buy a house in an area to avoid Wakefield only to be shifted at the last minute. My oldest is a rising 9th grader. We do not want any of our children at Wakefield and bought a house accordingly. Sorry but the proposal is faulty and personally I’d like to see a map and how the board picked apart the county to include us when I’m sure there were other options.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

We moved here specifically to AVOID sending our kids to Wakefield High. I am not buying another house in order to keep them with the network of friends and trusted teachers because the School district thinks this is a convenient easy choice. This has already caused an uproar in my neighborhood because many families moved here to avoid Wakefield. If you want to build new schools that's great but save your empty seats for new registers not established students/families.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Melissa, Attached are a couple of maps as requested. The first shows the current attendance areas on the left with a crosshatched portion indicating the area proposed to go from Wake Forest High to Wakefield High. We did our best to propose an area that is proximate to Wakefield High. The second map is a "heat map" showing projected growth over the next five years. The orange-yellowish areas show projected residential growth based on data from municipalities, while the blue areas show a projected loss of school-aged children. As you can see, there is projected growth in the Wake Forest High base area, while a projected loss of students in the Wakefield base attendance area in coming years.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
James Haight 16 days ago

There is a clear pattern of concern here. We as parents do not want our children uprooted at the whim of district administrators. We will not stand by and allow this uncontested. It is understandable that with the significant population increases in given areas, more schooling has to be generated. This should be applied to the affected areas however. When new housing is built, new schools are built in the same area to support the growth, This is how it is done in other parts of the country. Not build schools in one location and shift everyone around in a large area to fit the new mold. As mentioned by others, it is hard enough for teens to adjust at this age. This uprooting causes the same stress and anxiety that bulling does. Of course, there is zero-tolerance for bulling, right? You need to rethink how to solve the overcrowding concern. If this only affects a small number of students as stated, then I am sure it can be limited to rising freshmen with no other critical ties and transfers from out of the area. I for one would be happy to sit in any district board meeting and discuss this with objectivity and help brainstorm solutions. The impact of these choices is far reaching.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Stephanie Walker 16 days ago

We are in the proposed area to be be changed. We have been WFHS for 15 years and now my daughter finally goes to school there. She is a freshman. Will she be grandfathered in since she is already there? My son will be a rising 9th grader next year. Would he be grandfathered in as well?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 15 days ago

Stephanie, yes, both would be eligible to grandfather under the current proposed rules. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Anne Travis 16 days ago

I have spent 8 years with my kids at WFHS. I will have my son there for another 3 as he is grandfathered in as a current freshman. WFHS is a community school for the town of WF. We live here. Some work here. It’s a real sense of belonging. Yes. Some kids do go to Wakefield middle. But many others come from Heritage Middle and WF middle. Moving whole neighborhoods to a school in a different town defeats the purpose of having “Community Schools”. Families spend time and money building up this school. It strengthens bonds among neighbors. The population of students at WFHS has fluctuated over the last several years and this proposal is not a fix. Since they are allowing all students currently enrolled to stay. I imagine the majority of parents will chose this and provide transportation.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Renee Sheehan 15 days ago

My son has gone to Wake Forest Elem and is currently an 8th grader at Wake Forest Middle. His older sister graduated from Wake Forest High School. We moved into our house 6 years ago because we want our children at Wake Forest High School. It does not look like my son is eligible to be grandfathered. What would our other options be? I also was looking at the draft of the reassignment plan and am confused about how moving our kids to Wakefield will help. It looks like if this happens Wakefield will be over 100% utilization. at 130% for next year. How does that help our kids and how does that help Wakefield?

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Denise Merrill at October 07, 2019 at 3:15pm EDT

Just wondering if you got a reply.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kellie Cullen 15 days ago

As the parent of a 9th grader at WFHS, I understand that he is ELIGIBLE for grandfathering as a transfer, but I need to know that if we submit the request during the appropriate time it will be APPROVED. Under what circumstances would they reject a grandfather request?

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Kellie, any eligible student who requests to grandfather within the designated time frame will have request approved.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Chris Cullen 15 days ago

My son is currently in 9th grade at WFHS and really likes it. He's playing sports and has joined a club and there is no way I want him moved to Wakefield. I understand the need to look a few years out and ensure adequate capacity levels at the schools but what I don't understand is why impact the students already enrolled? The growth didn't sneak up on anyone and should have been planned for a few years out and allow families time to make decisions and plan accordingly. To roll this out now and affect current students isn't fair to them or the parents. I understand that we are "eligible" to elect to transfer back to WFHS under the grandfather rules but how much of a guarantee is that he will remain at WFHS?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Chris, any eligible student who requests to grandfather within the designated time frame will have request approved.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jamie Ragan 15 days ago

My son is a freshman at WFHS and I have a middle school son that will be following in 2 years. It is ridiculous to make us change our schools. Even if we get grandfathered in, it appears we can’t use public transportation. My children ride the bus because my husband and I both work. My oldest son was in the 3rd grade when Read to Achieve was roll outed. We lived through that disaster but not without scars and a lot of tutor costs. Please leave our children to their schools which we as parents have planned on for the last several years. Our children have established their routines and developed friendships. This is so disappointing.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Sally Hare at October 04, 2019 at 12:38pm EDT

Hi there,
The Wake Forest area is certainly seeing a lot of growth and I certainly see a need to explore new school options for areas of Wake County, However, Wake Forest is a tight knit community. Our kids grow up together, join teams together and go to school together. There is a strong sens of community at Wake Forest High School. I am against the move of Wake Forest High School students to Wakefield High School. With that being said, I have a senior that will graduate from WFHS in June 2020. My twins are rising 9th graders, currently assigned to Wake Forest High School. Are we eligible for grandfathering pls? Thank you.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at October 07, 2019 at 4:23pm EDT

Hi Sally, Under this proposal, your younger children would not be eligible to grandfather. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Sally Hare at October 09, 2019 at 12:18pm EDT

Thank you for replying. I look forward to seeing you at upcoming public hearings. As with most 8th graders, my twins have been getting excited about their upcoming high school experience, researching WFHS classes, attending WFHS events and generally embracing the move with their classmates. They already feel part of the school with their older sister being a WFHS senior. Moving us to Wakefield will add another 3 miles to our school commute plus add extra travel time as this will take us through a busy part of Wake Forest. We are very dissatisfied with this proposal.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Ilissa DAuria at October 04, 2019 at 12:56pm EDT

Why can't this plan start with incoming freshman? Why uproot families who have established ties with the school? Many of these kids are involved in sports and other extra curricular activities. I understand the grandfathering thing, but I it's not fair to take away their transportation. Many parents work and can not drive and pick up their kids from school. The carpool lines at WFHS are crazy enough!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Denise Merrill at October 07, 2019 at 3:13pm EDT

My son is currently in 8th grade and this will uproot him as he is now assigned to Wakefield. All his friends will go to WFHS. This is why we moved here. This poses a huge issue for our family as well as we do dual buses and now I cannot get him to my neighborhood here in WF. Is there anything I can do to get an exception? Our one street over stays at WFHS. Thank you.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Darcee Ruble at October 08, 2019 at 3:54pm EDT

Hi, My understanding is that you are reassigning to relieve overcrowding. I pulled this from the draft 1 assignment proposal. It shows that you will be moving from a less crowded WFHS to more crowded WHS to make it 130 percent overcrowded.

WAKE FOREST HS T 2144 2144 95% 95% 101% 101% WAKEFIELD HS T 1652 2036 130% 105% 126% 102%

Here is the link for parents. It will be at 130% overcrowding next year, with the goal of being "normal" in 4 years.

I thought parents may want this information.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Darcee Ruble at October 08, 2019 at 3:55pm EDT
0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at October 11, 2019 at 4:06pm EDT

For Jodi Bulmer's question above, no, nothing in current proposal involving Millbrook High. Where are you seeing that?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin at October 08, 2019 at 4:43pm EDT

Hi Darcee, a couple of things to keep in mind. The 130% figure is before you factor in modular units. It projects to go down to 105% capacity in 2020 with the mobile units counted. Wake Forest High meanwhile can't have modular units on its campus. Also, this proposal is also trying to account for projected growth patterns in the near future. The attached heat map shows new residential growth and additional students in the Wake Forest High base (the yellow and orange) while there is a projected decline in school-aged children in the Wakefield High base.

0 Votes
Bootstrap_fullsizerender
Jodi Bulmer at October 11, 2019 at 2:18pm EDT

Hey Matt - I am looking at the proposal and it does look like some small/spot nodes (maybe?) are being assigned out of wakefield, over to Millbrook HS instead? (Raven Ridge area...) Those same nodes are still assigned to East Millbrook for middle school. Is there any consideration to letting the middle school be West Millbrook now, since the IB programme is at West, as well as Millbrook High? Kids would then have access to IB for 5 or even 7 years if they opted into DP in high school. Just wondered - it makes sense in my head and didn't know if that would or could be a discussion topic separate from this? Thanks in advance...

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Danielle Chipouras at October 10, 2019 at 2:35pm EDT

We are very disappointed to hear of this proposal. My son is currently an 8th grader and all his friends will be and are at WFHS now. Our neighborhood, Hillcrest Farm, has always been WFHS! This is unacceptable, we moved to Wake forest for Wake forest schools over 10 years ago. If I wanted my kids to go to wakefield in Raleigh, we would have stayed in Raleigh. We are a close nit community here in Wake forest and our neighborhoods are close. We have established friends and relationships for over 10 years here in WF and already support the high school. My son and his friends currently go to Heritage middle school, not wakefield middle, he would not know a sole at Wakefield high, since we live in Wake Forest. This is where all his friends from school and sports are from Wake Forest.. We hope and pray that you listen to us parents and this does not go through. Deeply disappointed, we moved to certain neighborhoods for schools and a community!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Theresa Hamilton at October 10, 2019 at 8:52pm EDT

To keep my job, my family recently moved to North Carolina from Florida. We are in the process of building a house but made sure our temporary housing was district-ed for same school as our new house. My daughters is in 9th grade at Wake Forest High School. I can't imagine her going through so much change AGAIN next year. It sounds like she will be able to continue going to Wake Forest High School which is good. However, I hate that there is a very good possibility that other kids in our new neighborhood will be going to a different school, Wakefileld High School. I'm also not sure how she's going to get to school if we have to provide our own transportation. Both myself and my husband work so it's going to be challenging. Is there any way that these changes won't be taking effect? If they do, is there any way that transportation could be provided for kids that continue to go to Wake Forest High School?

0 Votes