Parents, We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

UPDATE 10/03: We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh

On Oct. 1, staff members presented Draft 1 of a new Student Enrollment Proposal to the Board of Education.

The proposal includes proposed school assignment changes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.

This is the beginning of a community conversation that is scheduled to conclude with the school board adopting a final plan on Dec. 3.

Find out if you are proposed to be affected.

You are encouraged to visit www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal for more information about the proposal and to check for updates as the process moves forward.

Why is this being proposed?

To keep up with population growth and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re building two new schools: 

• South Lakes Elementary, 1433 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2020

• Willow Spring High School, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2021

The majority of proposed school assignment changes will be related to the opening of these two new schools in Fuquay-Varina.

Other components of the proposal are aimed at relieving overcrowded schools, better utilizing under-enrolled schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

How can I ask questions and provide feedback?

The best way to provide feedback and ask questions about the proposal is to visit our online forum. This will ensure staff members, school board members and your fellow parents see your questions and feedback. Staff members will respond to questions in a timely fashion. Staff members and board members will also review and consider all feedback as they work toward a second draft of the proposal and, ultimately, the final approved plan. 

What is the process for arriving at a final plan?

We will respond to questions and review feedback online for the next several weeks. We also will host three Open House public information sessions where you can learn more about the proposal and ask questions of staff members. We will announce dates and locations soon.

Staff members will present Draft 2 to the school board for discussion on Nov. 5. A public hearing will be held on Nov. 19, providing the opportunity to speak before the full board. A final vote is expected on Dec. 3.

Draft 1 of the Student Enrollment Proposal, which was presented to the school board today, includes a proposal that would change the calendar application schools - or "calendar option" schools - for a small number of families. We will be contacting these families directly.

If approved, affected students would have four options:

• Apply to remain at current school. You would not be eligible for district transportation.

• Apply to attend the new calendar application school (if applicable). If approved, you would be eligible for district transportation.

• Apply to any other school during request for transfer period.

• Attend your base school. No action would be required. District transportation would be provided.

The Office of Student Assignment will be contacting affected families to discuss these choices.

If your family has a rising Kindergarten or 6th grade sibling, please discuss this with the Office of Student Assignment representative. 

Share your questions and feedback about this proposal below.

17 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Jennifer Mills 16 days ago

I am buying a house on Old Stage Rd in Willow Springs not far from where I now live in Willow Springs. The calendar option for elementary school would be Aversboro Elementary. My son now attends Lincoln Heights and is transported there by his daycare. Lincoln Heights is currently offered as an application option for the address of the home I'm buying. Would we have the option to keep him at Lincoln Heights since our childcare provider provides transportation to that school?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Mills 16 days ago

Also, why is the new South Lakes Elementary not the calendar option for a student in Willow Springs? I'll have one child at Fuquay/Willow Springs High School but my elementary student would be sent Aversboro Elementary?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ashley Hodges 16 days ago

What does "apply to any other school during the transfer period"? Does that mean that we could apply to attend FVMS even if it is no longer a calendar option?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 16 days ago

Hi Ashley, yes, you could apply to FVMS or any other school during the request for transfer period, under this proposal.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 16 days ago

Hi Ashley, your best bet is to call the Office of Student Assignment at 919-431-7333. A representative can walk you through your possibly scenarios.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_912199262183668
Shawn McKee 16 days ago

We live near Crabtree Mall. There are at least 10 elementary schools within 4 miles of us. All Traditional? Why don't we have a year round option at one of those schools? Brier Creek is too far.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Kathe SizemoreHill 16 days ago

When initially looking at the map, where we live was in the "safe" area. Now our subdivision which is 5 minutes from the middle school and high school (where my two sons attend HSHS and my daughter attends HGMS) have them being re-routed to Fuquay HS? I see that I can grandfather my boys so that they can remain at HSHS, but with no transportation, but what about my daughter. These two schools are one of the main reasons we moved to where we are.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Kathe SizemoreHill 16 days ago

My daughter is in 7th at HGMS and my boys are in 9th and 10th at HSHS. So from what I've read, I could grandfather my boys to stay at HSHS but no transportation provided is that correct? What about my daughter? We wanted all 3 kids at the same high school. Her school literally backs up to her brothers school. How could we get that approved/appealed so she could be at HSHS with her brothers?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 15 days ago

Kathe, here are the proposed grandfathering rules. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

If I am understanding you right, you will have a 9th, 11th and 12th grader at Holly Springs High in 2021. If that is correct, all three would be eligible to grandfather and stay at Holly Springs High through graduation under the proposed rules.

By the way, the thread related to Willow Spring High would be the best place to leave feedback and questions about this proposal. https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/proposed-school-assignment-changes-for-2020-21-and-2021-22/topics/willow-spring-high-school-opening-august-2021

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Kathe SizemoreHill at October 05, 2019 at 5:09pm EDT

Thanks Matt! I have since posted a few questions under the Willow Spring High thread. Looking forward to your responses.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Potts 15 days ago

I've been commenting under the proposed change to redistrict a portion of Brassfield to Wakefield, however, I wanted to make sure my concerns are being logged under this discussion as well. I moved into my current house in Jan of this year and was granted the option to keep my sons (2nd/5th grade) at Abbotts Creek, which was listed as their calendar option. If my son (3rd grade) is already attending a calendar option, do I still need to apply for him to remain there under the proposed changes?

I have been providing feedback under the Brassfield to Wakefield topic thus far as I was under the impression that the reason I was notified was because the base school assignment for my address would change if the proposed draft of the plan were adopted. As I stated in that forum, my sons do not currently attend Brassfield, and therefore their move would not help overcrowding at Brassfield. I understand that under this proposed rule change I can still remain at Abbotts Creek (if approved), however, the system would no longer provide transportation for my son even though it would actually cost more to transport him to Wakefield based on existing bus routes than to maintain his existing bus stop were he to continue at Abbotts Creek.

I work full-time as does my husband and do rely on the bus system for school transportation. However, I have two sisters whose children also attend Abbotts Creek and my mother lives in the existing area zoned for Abbotts Creek. If continuing to provide bus service to my home, which is a less costly option than extending bus service to and from Wakefield, is not an option, could I still apply for service at an alternate stop?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Potts at October 06, 2019 at 2:26pm EDT

I do understand that the system cannot afford to continue to send buses where they are underutilized and that district transportation is an effective means of incentivizing families to accept the new school assignment. However, I would like to ask that the board and the department of transportation consider allowing parents who have chosen to remain at their existing school under the grandfather rules to be able to apply for bus transportation at an alternative stop after 30 days. If the school has approved the student's continued presence, the parent can certify that there is an alternative care provider within 3/10ths of a mile of an existing stop, and the bus serving that area is not at capacity, then this solution could lessen hardships placed on parents who rely on transportation, which would then reduce push back on longer-term reassignment proposals and make sure our buses are running as efficiently as possible.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melanie Kramer at October 16, 2019 at 1:21pm EDT

I have read the info on grandfathering, and see the application date is Dec 11th-20th, but how and where are requests supposed to be submitted? Thanks.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
jahangir khatri at October 17, 2019 at 9:53am EDT

thank you later than more for all of the knowledge you distribute,suitable pronounce. i was fantastically vivacious inside the article, it is pretty inspiring I ought to agree with on. I as soon as touring you web site by means of now I always stumble upon appealing articles later this one.awesome task, I greatly admire that.Do preserve sharing! Regards, asumsi bandarq online

0 Votes