This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Parents, We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

UPDATE 10/03: We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh

On Oct. 1, staff members presented Draft 1 of a new Student Enrollment Proposal to the Board of Education.

The proposal includes proposed school assignment changes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.

This is the beginning of a community conversation that is scheduled to conclude with the school board adopting a final plan on Dec. 3.

Find out if you are proposed to be affected.

You are encouraged to visit www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal for more information about the proposal and to check for updates as the process moves forward.

Why is this being proposed?

To keep up with population growth and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re building two new schools: 

• South Lakes Elementary, 1433 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2020

• Willow Spring High School, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2021

The majority of proposed school assignment changes will be related to the opening of these two new schools in Fuquay-Varina.

Other components of the proposal are aimed at relieving overcrowded schools, better utilizing under-enrolled schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

How can I ask questions and provide feedback?

The best way to provide feedback and ask questions about the proposal is to visit our online forum. This will ensure staff members, school board members and your fellow parents see your questions and feedback. Staff members will respond to questions in a timely fashion. Staff members and board members will also review and consider all feedback as they work toward a second draft of the proposal and, ultimately, the final approved plan. 

What is the process for arriving at a final plan?

We will respond to questions and review feedback online for the next several weeks. We also will host three Open House public information sessions where you can learn more about the proposal and ask questions of staff members. We will announce dates and locations soon.

Staff members will present Draft 2 to the school board for discussion on Nov. 5. A public hearing will be held on Nov. 19, providing the opportunity to speak before the full board. A final vote is expected on Dec. 3.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh
23 Responses

Bootstrap_10156417690647155
Sally Hare 2 months ago

Please can you clarify the date for the public hearing - Nov 19 https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40938 or Nov 17 https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40941 Thank you.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

It's Tuesday Nov. 19th. I've fixed. So sorry about that.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Potts about 1 month ago

Has the time been set yet for the public hearings?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
David Albert about 1 month ago

Matt, can you please announce the timings for the information sessions. We need to make arrangements for child care

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

They will be 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. I will update this page and Enrollment Proposal site on WCPSS now. Thank you.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
David Albert about 1 month ago

Thank you!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

David, please note that these will be Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. There will not be a formal presentation but staff members from various departments available to share information and answer questions.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Tim Riley about 1 month ago

Matt will there be office of reassignment staff and board members there as well to speak with, or are these strictly a "learn about the school" event? If the former, how do we make sure that we get time to speak with those that we'd like to speak with?

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Tim, yes, Office of Student Assignment staff members and board members will be present.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Meera Kafka about 1 month ago

Is Apex Friendship Middle School running at full capacity? I'm floored that we are still assigned to Lufkin Road Middle school which is across town when Apex Friendship is 5 minutes from us. We are in Saddlebrook in Apex off Olive Chapel Rd.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Meera, Apex Friendship Middle is designed for 1300. We purposefully do not fill the school with transfers and application students due to the projected growth within the base area. As of today ,the school has an enrollment of 1138 with a projection of over 1200 already for next year.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Meera Kafka about 1 month ago

Thanks Matt. I'm more concerned with why the southeast portion of wake county around Holly Springs is assigned to Friendship when Lufkin Road would make more sense and we are assigned to a school that is further away and passes Friendship? What is the reasoning behind this?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sal Conigliaro about 1 month ago

Students enrolled at Magnet schools (instead of base schools) are unaffected, right? (No need to re-apply to Magnet?)

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Sal, yes, students attending a magnet school as a magnet student are unaffected by the proposal.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Sal Conigliaro about 1 month ago

Thanks Matt.

1 Vote

Bootstrap_img_20190917_084933_854
Catherine Junis about 1 month ago

With this meeting style of open house will parents still get to voice our concerns? It seems more like a meeting to make us more comfortable with a for sure change rather than to get our input prior to the second draft of the plan being released?

3 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Catherine, No, this is still Draft 1. Draft 2 will be presented on Nov. 5, and we will continue to gather feedback online after that is released. There will be a public hearing on Nov. 19 and that is where anyone who wishes may address the full board. We will share the sign-up sheet on this forum and on the Enrollment Proposal website in advance of that hearing. Here is the full timeline: https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40941

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Catherine, this is the best forum for voicing concerns, because all staff and board members can see and refer back to these comments and questions as needed. At the Open Houses, staff will be ready to answer questions about how the proposal was developed as well as listen to and discuss parent concerns. In addition, staff will be available to share information about other aspects of the proposed changes, such as questions about academics and transportation.

0 Votes
Bootstrap_img_20190917_084933_854
Catherine Junis about 1 month ago

Okay so with all of that in mind, is what we are already seeing a final draft or will another meeting of this type happen in November to address that?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Ss Ww about 1 month ago

WCPSS sent me an email announcing this proposal...nice b/c not sure how else I would have known about it. But very disappointed no email was received regarding the upcoming Open House dates/locations, public hearing dates, etc! I stumbled on the info on a news website. If you have our emails...why not use them to announce this important info?!

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Sorry you did not receive an email. We attempted to email every family affected by this proposal. Sorry if we missed you. If could share your name and/or an email we will make sure you get added to any future correspondences.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

To clarify, we emailed every family we had in our records as being affected by this proposal last week announcing the Open Houses.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sara Landis about 1 month ago

I attended the Open House last night and was pretty disheartened by the whole thing. It was informative, yes, but it felt as though our concerns were being spoken in vain and nothing is actually going to be done. The biggest frustration of the evening was when a WCPSS board member stated nonchalantly that moving a child around from school to school, specifically at the middle school level, does not affect that child. That insensitive remark was completely asinine and offensive on so many levels. How can you look me in the eye and tell me that moving my child in the middle of his most vulnerable years to a totally different part of the area and a different city is not going to affect him mentally, emotionally and academically?

Putting aside the fact that our property values will plummet due to this re-zoning and the fact that I will be spending over an hour and a half in the car just dropping children off every single morning- one in Raleigh for Elementary School, one in north Garner for Middle School, and one in Willow Spring for High School- put all of that aside and let’s look at the children and how this greatly affects them by moving them to three different cities each time they change schools.

Expecting kids to succeed in academics and other facets of their lives while moving them from their friends every time they start a new level in school (middle and high school) is unfair and unrealistic for these young innocent and vulnerable children. I understand not having schools solely based on municipalities, that is what breeds socioeconomic segregation, but there has to be some consideration for proximity and where some of these rezoning areas are being fed to. I get only 1% of students will be affected by this, but that 1% should be just as important as the other 99%. It just doesn’t make sense and at this point I feel like I can only hope and pray that my concerns, and many other’s concerns, are actually being heard and considered.

2 Votes