This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Parents, We welcome feedback and questions on this site, but please be respectful. We encourage you to remember that others love their school as much as you love yours. Questions and comments that focus on academics and logistics are helpful to us and to other parents. Personal attacks and, of course, vulgarity have no place in this discussion and will be deleted. We encourage you to find out more about any school at this page. Better yet, visit schools. The benefit of visiting a school greatly outweighs any information you can glean from a single letter grade or third-party web site. Thanks in advance for your feedback – critical or not – and other helpful contributions to this forum.

UPDATE 10/16: All public information sessions will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. They are Open House style, so you may arrive when you like and stay as long as you like. See below for dates and locations. Please plan to attend the session closest to you.

UPDATE 10/03: We have set the dates and locations for information sessions regarding Draft 1. These Open House-style sessions will focus on providing information about the changes in their respective geographic areas. Please plan on attending the session nearest to you. All events will take place in the evening. We will announce specific times soon, but we are sharing the dates now for your planning convenience. 

• 10/24: Salem Elementary School, 6116 Old Jenks Road, Apex
  • 10/29: Fuquay-Varina High School (future home of Willow Spring High School), 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
  • 10/30: Wakefield High School, 2200 Wakefield Pines Drive, Raleigh

On Oct. 1, staff members presented Draft 1 of a new Student Enrollment Proposal to the Board of Education.

The proposal includes proposed school assignment changes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.

This is the beginning of a community conversation that is scheduled to conclude with the school board adopting a final plan on Dec. 3.

Find out if you are proposed to be affected.

You are encouraged to visit www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal for more information about the proposal and to check for updates as the process moves forward.

Why is this being proposed?

To keep up with population growth and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re building two new schools: 

• South Lakes Elementary, 1433 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2020

• Willow Spring High School, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, opening in August 2021

The majority of proposed school assignment changes will be related to the opening of these two new schools in Fuquay-Varina.

Other components of the proposal are aimed at relieving overcrowded schools, better utilizing under-enrolled schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

How can I ask questions and provide feedback?

The best way to provide feedback and ask questions about the proposal is to visit our online forum. This will ensure staff members, school board members and your fellow parents see your questions and feedback. Staff members will respond to questions in a timely fashion. Staff members and board members will also review and consider all feedback as they work toward a second draft of the proposal and, ultimately, the final approved plan. 

What is the process for arriving at a final plan?

We will respond to questions and review feedback online for the next several weeks. We also will host three Open House public information sessions where you can learn more about the proposal and ask questions of staff members. We will announce dates and locations soon.

Staff members will present Draft 2 to the school board for discussion on Nov. 5. A public hearing will be held on Nov. 19, providing the opportunity to speak before the full board. A final vote is expected on Dec. 3.

Small2_6507

Address: 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina
Proposed Grades: 9-10 for first year, 9-11 second year, 9-12 third year and going forward
Calendar: Traditional
Description: 110 classrooms, with a student capacity of about 2,300. Currently serving as swing space for Fuquay-Varina High.

Under the proposal, the base attendance area for the new Willow Spring High would be made up of students currently in the Fuquay-Varina base attendance area. The proposal also calls for some students in the Holly Springs High base attendance area to be assigned to the Fuquay-Varina High attendance area. This would help relieve crowding at Holly Springs High.

Please share your questions and feedback about this proposal in the thread below.

173 Responses

Default_avatar
Marne Patana 2 months ago

When will there be a forum in Holly Springs where parents/students can speak with staff members so that we can listen and give feedback in person?

6 Votes
Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin 2 months ago

We will be announcing a date soon.

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Udayakumar Chanthilvelu about 1 month ago

We moved to Holly springs just because of Holly springs high school. Now getting assigned to Fuquay Varina high school is not expected and kind of frustrating.

5 Votes

Default_avatar

Marne, we will announce the date on this site and the main enrollment proposal site, www.wcpss.net/2020enrollmentproposal

0 Votes
Bootstrap_10218282549607088
MaryAnn Louw about 1 month ago

Matt since this impacts Holly Springs residents why isn't there a meeting to discuss this in Holly Springs?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tim Manhardt 2 months ago

Second to in person discussion in Holly Springs, it would be helpful to see examples of how the grandfathering works and how you’ve accounted for that in enrollment projections. Are rising 9th graders in 2021-22 school year eligible and is the grandfathering effective the entire four years of high school?

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Tim. Here are the proposed grandfathering rules. Does this help answer your question? https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

1 Vote

Since the proposal said that seniors will be exempt will they still have transportation?

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Will families be requested to request grandfathering for this Existing to Existing high school move related to Willow Spring opening in the December 2019 window for the 2021-22 school year?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Dees admin about 1 month ago

Tim, the grandfathering requests related to the opening of Willow Spring High would not be made until 2020, likely December. Really sorry for delayed response on this!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

How do you explain a 69% projected enrollment in Fuquay High School for 2023-24? That seems to put the programs at risk. Additionally draft 1 projects Willow Spring High at 81% while also consuming the highest growth projection area on the border of the assignment.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

That is something the board pointed out as well during the work session today, and our staff is going to look into it. Here is video of the work session discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmFt8I7_ugU

0 Votes

Default_avatar

What is the impact of student achievement to Holly Springs, Fuquay and Willow Spring with this proposal? Draft 1 looks imbalanced based on data accessible to the public.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Tim, you asked: :Will families be requested to request grandfathering for this Existing to Existing high school move related to Willow Spring opening in the December 2019 window for the 2021-22 school year?"

No, grandfather requests for 2021-22 would be submitted in late 2020, likely December. Good question, that also came up during board discussion today.

1 Vote

Bootstrap_10219509822120539
Susan Cannaday 2 months ago

Are you telling me my son, finally on a traditional calendar (FVMS), has to go back to a year round calendar to a school (WLMS) that is horrible, to boot?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jenna Wood 2 months ago

Just a general question regarding proposed changes. When I use the address look up tool it is only showing the proposed changes for 2020-2021, when do the proposed changes for 2021-2022 come out or are they the same changes just not labeled correctly?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
julie black 2 months ago

I just signed a contract to build a house in Holly Springs so my children would go to Holly Springs High School. We selected this housing development because we currently are not in HSHS district. 2021-2022 will my daughter's freshmen year in high school. I am not happy about the potential of her going to Fuquay. This is unacceptable.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Mike Skog 2 months ago

So, my son, who will be in 9th next year, will be at Fuquay High, (in the Willow Spring building.) Then he'll stay in that building as Willow Springs High for the rest of his HS career. But my other son, who will be in 11th next year, will spend his senior year in the new Fuquay High? 2 students, 2 different schools?

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Ss Ww 2 months ago

If I'm reading things right (So I hope WCPSS Admin will comfirm this?) Grandfathering rules seem to say that your younger son can follow the older one to FV and stay at FV even after the older one graduates. However, bus service is only offered while the older son is at FV (to both kids). Once the older one grads FV, the younger one is no longer eligible for bus service (crazy!)

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Mike, Ss Ww is right that your younger son would be able to stay at Fuquay-Varina High through the exit grade, under the current grandfathering proposal. Also correct that your younger son would not be eligible for district transportation after your older son graduates. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Daniel Nakamoto 2 months ago

Holly Springs High School is literally 1.5 miles from my neighborhood on the Cass Holt road (the road the school is on). I would like the genius that drew up these maps to explain the logic of sending kids in my neighborhood from here all the way to Fuquay Varina High School?!?!?!

10 Votes
Default_avatar
Teresa Veno about 1 month ago

I want to know the same thing. This makes no sense!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Kathie Marshall 2 months ago

When we moved here 5 years ago, we chose where we lived so we could go to Fuquay Elementary, Middle and then High School. We've had two children graduate from FVHS and will have another graduate in 2021. We want our last 2 children to also be able to go to FVHS.
Your dividing line seems to be Sunset Lake Road, except for our neighborhood. I don't like that it is carved out of the community we should belong to.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Kathie, we will look into this and address in Draft 2.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
SG George 2 months ago

So how do you explain we living on rex road Holly Springs and 1.5 miles from Holly Springs high which is a 2 minute drive now proposed to go to willow springs high almost 10 miles away and a 23 minute drive by car.. i cant imagine how long the bus drive would be. I cannot believe this

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Lyndi Athy 2 months ago

So I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. My daughter will be entering her Junior year at Holly springs and my son entering his freshmen year when this changes. I would be able to grandfather my daughter in since she already attends and my son too since his sibling goes there already? If so will my son be able to finish all four years at holly springs after he is grandfathered in? Also when do we need to fill out request for them to be grandfathered in?

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Lyndi, yes your daughter and son would both be able to grandfather and stay at Holly Springs through the exit grade. In this case, grandfathering requests would be made next year, likely in December. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Jennifer Rivera 2 months ago

I believe it is showing for school year 21-22 current Holly springs HS students will move to Fuquay HS? My daughter will be in her second year at that High school (which we selected the house we live in because of Holly Springs schools). Will I need to request for her to be grandfathered to continue there late next year? Holly Grove elementary, middle and high school are all closer to my house then Fuquay or Garner schools. I do not like this change either.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Jennifer, yes your daughter would be eligible to grandfather under this proposal. That request would be submitted next year, likely December. We would of course will send out reminders. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lyndi Athy 2 months ago

Also I don’t understand why a subdivision that is 3 miles from Holly Springs High School and 10 miles away from Fuquay-Varina High School would be zoned to attend Fuquay-Varina High School. We just started building and specifically picked this location to attend Holly Springs High School. Very frustrating

7 Votes

Bootstrap_10154854145307617
Laura Bishop 2 months ago

This is so frustrating. 2 years ago when we were reassigned to a new elementary school we were told by the Wake County assignment staff that they try not to impact the same families/addresses within a 6 year time period. But now the same areas and neighborhoods are being targeted to change high schools (from HSHS to FVHS) in 2021. We live much closer to Holly Springs High School (Rouse Rd) and our address is Holly Springs! Wake County needs to understand the concept of community and quit jerking families back and forth to different schools every couple of years.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Courtney Davis 2 months ago

While I understand that this does not affect my children for 4 more years and it will most likely change again with your upcoming socioeconomic changes that will be taking place within the next 2 years; However, I am curious how moving my children to a school 2 more miles away (HSHS to FVHS) is maximizing transportation efficiencies? They are already on a bus for 40 minutes to their current elementary school that is 1 mile away from my house. You can’t actually look at that map and say it will be more efficient to travel an extra 2 miles? I live in the Oliver Creek subdivision. Please enlighten me on your logic.

3 Votes
Default_avatar

We always try to assign students to the most proximate school, but it is not always possible in order to have balanced populations at each school. In this case we are proposing changes to account for both current crowding and projected growth.

0 Votes
Bootstrap_10159328000355228
Amber Harrer about 1 month ago

My neighborhood, Avocet, is connected to Oliver Creek. My son and Courtney's son rode the same bus last year and it would take up the 45 minutes to get home from a school less than 2 miles away. We already have a shortage of buses and bus drives. How is this helping? I understand balance, but there is more logic that needs to be taken into account here that is carelessly and foolishly being tossed aside. We can hear Friday night football games at our house. I do not believe you at all addressed her question and am asking the same thing. How does this reassignment help the busing issue? If it takes my kids 45 minutes to get home from a school less than 2 miles away I can only imagine the time for them to get home from a school that is 6-8 miles away depending on the route with heavy traffic. Please, enlighten me.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
SEAN OTTALY 2 months ago

Put Somerset Farm subdivision back into Holly Springs HS zoning! We have a Holly Springs address! I don't want to have each of our kids graduate from two different HS. Somerset Farm is a small neighborhood, only 188 homes. Certainly this is not a needle mover redistricting kids out of our neighborhood to FQ. Drop that line further South!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Ss Ww 2 months ago

is there a map available showing how the school districts were drawn for FVHS, WSHS and HSHS?

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Alexander Pustynskiy 2 months ago
0 Votes

Default_avatar

You can go to page 48 of presentation as well to see a proposed before and after map.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

What is the point putting subdivisions under Grigsby Ave to FVHS? It is almost a center of Holly Springs and kid should go to another town HS. There is no even good transportation route to FV yet. Also middle school there is Holly grove, which is next to HSHS. Why put siblings such far away. Such zoning seems illogical at this draft. Please put Park Avenue subdivision back to HSHS.

3 Votes

Please consider leaving areas west of Piney Grove Wilbon Rd. that directly connect to Cass Holt Rd. assigned to Holly Springs High. It is literally one or two right turns (with virtually no traffic) to HSHS--much safer for teen drivers! Additionally, our base middle school is Holly Grove Middle (THANK YOU for leaving that alone) so for families with multiple kids it makes sense to have them in the same campus area not in different towns.

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Rachel Taylor 2 months ago

I completely agree with this thinking. We live in Avocet neighborhood and we are 2 miles from HSHS which is a straight 5 minute (or less) drive down Cass Holt. You are proposing moving our children to a school 8 miles away and a 20 minute drive. I have driven that route to FVHS many times in the morning and there are several left hand turns during some of the busiest driving times. It is not safe for teen drivers. Additionally, you want us to stay at HGMS which is adjoining HSHS property, but move us to another town for HS? That makes no sense. We have just been impacted when we were forced to move to Buckhorn Creek ES and now again with our high schoolers. This is too much.

7 Votes
Default_avatar
SG George 2 months ago

I agree. Not sure why everything west of wilbon road (which is part of Holly Springs and closer to hshs) is not mapped to hshs. Extend everything west of north main if needed to fvhs instead of making them go to wshs

2 Votes

Like this:

Attachments: IMG_9933.jpg
2 Votes

Default_avatar
Melanie Solomon 2 months ago

I have already had two children graduate from FVHS and have another set to finish at FVHS in 2021 and was hoping my last on in 2025 would get to do the same. We moved to Fuquay Varina so our children to attend local schools and grow up with life long friends. We are currently 4 miles form FVHS in Neils Crossing neighborhood off Angier Rd, do I have any options to keep my child at FVHS, I have no problem providing transportation. I believe Purfoy Rd would have been a better dividing line then Judd Parkway and with FVHS being under enrollment and all the development going on off Angier and Bowling Rd

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Melanie, here is the proposed grandfathering policy. Perhaps this will answer your question? https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Debbie Negron 2 months ago

Please reconsider putting subdivisions off Grigsby Ave to FVHS. In fact that whole section that was craved out should be left alone. It makes no since to move a child out of a neighborhood school to be bused to another town's HS. My daughter is starting middle school next year in Holly Springs and we want her to stay in our town. We didn't buy a house in Holly Springs for her to attend Fuquay schools. If anything, new developments in Holly Springs should be assigned to the new schools, not established neighborhoods where they have older siblings already graduating from HSHS.

Attachments: Grigsby_Ave.docx
3 Votes

Default_avatar
Amanda Goering 2 months ago

My daughter will be going into her Junior year at Holly Springs High school when the proposal takes place. The proposal has her assigned to Fuquay Varina High School. Would she be eligible to be grandfathered into Holly Springs High School?

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Yep, Tinaya is right.

0 Votes

Bootstrap_10162471753705644
Tinaya Gray 2 months ago

Yes. From the Plan: High School Students • Students who experience an assignment change as a result of this proposal: • From an existing school to an existing school, all current students in 9th, 10th and 11th grades are eligible to request a transfer to “grandfather” at their current assignment. These requests will be approved if submitted during the designated application period. • Siblings of eligible grandfather students will also have their transfer requests approved if submitted during the designated application period. • Students who request to grandfather are transfer students and no transportation will be provided.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Thanks Tinaya!

0 Votes

Default_avatar

This question was not addressed... What is the impact of student achievement to Holly Springs, Fuquay and Willow Spring with this proposal? Draft 1 looks imbalanced based on data accessible to the public.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Tim, disregard previous for now. I need to have our staff double check those figures. Will advise ASAP. Thank you for your patience.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Any update?

3 Votes

Default_avatar

Is it just me, or when looking at the data it appears the placement of Willow Spring high is in error. A net new school added quite a distance from where the concentration of growth is happening. Middle Creek has room... Draft 1 shows Fuquay short at 69%. Overly large geographic area to support Willow Spring High. Heavy growth in close proximity to Holly Springs High. Carved out, division of neighborhoods and satellite assignments. This smells fishy and looks like the team is trying to minimize disruption rather than taking a step back and logically aligning boundaries with transportation as a significant factor. A move to FVHS would significantly increase risk for my student drivers... SIGNIFICANTLY. It seems others all throughout these four school boundaries have similar issues. Did transportation participate in this draft?

5 Votes
Default_avatar
SG George 2 months ago

I cannot agree more. They allow 600 house development to come up 1 mile from hshs on honeycutt, new development on cassholt, nee developments on rex east and west of cass holt and more.. yet new school for Holly Springs residents who are very close to hshs is 8-11 miles away in Fuquay-Varina. Where are the town officials in this planning?? May be they don’t care

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Andrea Bird about 1 month ago

I'm following this discussion and still waiting for an update to the Capacity chart showing FVHS at 69% for year 2023-24. That makes no sense.

0 Votes

Tinaya Gray 2 months ago

As the parent of a child that would be a sophomore at WSHS upon opening, I would like to see data that supports the decision to open a HS with only Freshman and Sophomore classes and data around the impact of that decision. It appears to be that in quite a few areas - socially, extra-curricular, sports, and other essential components of HS experience, these children will get the very short end of the stick. Can you provide support for this decision, versus opening WSHS with all of it's students - that is the study on impact of changing high school for some students now attending FVHS and continuing at WSHS instead of going back to Fuquay location vs. WSHS not having a junior and senior class and the impact to the students who will be freshman and sophomores?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Tinaya, the best thing I can tell you is that the recent experience of students and families at Apex Friendship High School and Green Level High School has been overwhelmingly positive. Typically, JV football is offered the first year of the school opening, then varsity added the next year.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Also, check out this video we just put up about Green Level High. Their first year is off to a great start! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2XiEpOYJ0Y

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Hi Tinaya, we got many of these same questions when we were discussing Green Level High, which opened to 9th and 10th graders this year. Here is a summary of a community discussion we had last year addressing these concerns:

-Every school is different in terms of what they offer in the first year. It’s all driven by student interest. -While every principal can take their own approach, they will all find ways to reach out to students and parents to gauge interest, possibly including parent meetings and course selection surveys. -If there are classes that aren’t offered because not enough students want to take it, students do have the option of taking the course online, or taking another elective and waiting a year or two to take the desired course. -A new school provides a rare and unique opportunity for freshmen and sophomores to lead. Being president of the National Honor Society as a 10th grader, for just one example, would look great on a college application. -College admissions officers would not look disfavorably on students coming from a newer school. -We can share one recent example of a new high school that opened recently for 9th and 10th graders: Apex Friendship High School. -In its first year, it offered band, including marching band, chorus, dance and AP Human Geography, along with the other core classes - including honors level - and electives. The school added more AP courses and drama in year 2, and offered the full range of AP courses in its third year. It offered varsity teams in all sports except football, and was able to field JV teams in most sports as well. At the start of the year, clubs such as Student Council, DECA and Key Club were offered, and other co-curricular and student interest clubs opened early in the school year. -We can’t guarantee this is exactly what will be offered in the first year, but this gives an idea of breadth of academic and extracurricular offerings. -Apex Friendship High School had its first graduating class this June. Graduates are moving on to the likes of Harvard, Duke, Baylor, Meredith, UNC, N.C. State, Appalachian State, Campbell, Hampden-Sydney, Queens College, N.C. Wesleyan, Wingate and many other top colleges and universities.

0 Votes
Tinaya Gray 2 months ago

Thanks Matt. I can appreciate the efforts that are made to provide a full high school experience with regard to classes and activities, but I am hearing that there really is now way to do that. Does the administration have thoughts or data on the following: - What is the impact to students who will not have the experience of being lead by older students? I think a chance to learn and follow is important - What is the plan for football at Willow Springs High School?

1 Vote

Tinaya Gray 2 months ago

Also, we know that research indicates a transition relationship between middle school and high school impacts student success. With all of these changes, are there plans for transitional relationship bridges between the local middle schools and the different high schools they will feed?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
robert kelly 2 months ago

FVHS at 69% seems a bit of an oversight?

Fuquay Varina has a huge traffic bottleneck around Sunset Lake Rd and 401/55. There are neighborhoods on the north side of 401 that are only 1 or 2 miles from FVHS. These neighborhoods (Ballentine/Bentwinds/etc) will now be re-routed to WSHS adding to this congestion.

Wouldn't it make sense to send students in these neighborhoods to FVHS, allowing a more balanced capacity and also reducing traffic congestion?

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Ss Ww 2 months ago
0 Votes

Default_avatar

My boys are 9th and 7th grade now. We are under contract for new house and will move to Holly Springs in January, switching schools to HSHS and HGMS. The grandfathering application is scheduled to December. Would we be eligible for grandfathering? How we should apply to it in our case?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Cheryl Sommers 2 months ago

I am very disappointed with the proposal to move the neighborhoods off of Grigsby (Parks at Bass Lake and Park Avenue) to FVHS. We (along with my neighbors, several of whom have posted above) purchased our homes in Holly Springs (paying higher prices per sq ft by the way) so that our kids would attend HSHS, not FVHS. These neighborhoods are practically in the heart of HS, close enough to ride bikes or walk to the farmer's market and the downtown area. Holly Spring's fireworks are set off at Sugg Farm, practically our back yards. Please keep Holly Spring's small-town feel and keep these neighborhoods attending HSHS.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Diana Johnston 2 months ago

We are currently assigned to Holly Springs High School, 2 miles from our home. The current proposal in Draft 1 changes that to Fuquay Varina High School, 5 miles away.

We moved to our current home 2 years ago (from the other side of Holly Springs) and one of the main deciding factors was the high school. We already had a child attending Holly Springs High and didn't want to change that. We also have a current middle schooler who has grown up with his brother attending Holly Springs High School and is familiar with it and plans on following in his brother's marching band footsteps at Holly Springs.

Looking at the new proposed map, Avocet is right on the border between Holly Springs and Fuquay High School.

I know you and others will be hearing from more residents of Avocet on this matter. This needs to be reconsidered. I do not want my child attending Fuquay High School. Our experience at Holly Springs High has been stellar and we do not want this change imposed on our family.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Amy Dethlefsen 2 months ago

We live less than 2 miles, down one road, to HSHS. The new draft proposal would move my child to FVHS - 5.6 miles away through many neighborhoods and already clogged roads. It would not only be a hardship on our family to get him to and from school activities, it would put a strain on the already suffering WCPSS Transportation Dept. The move to a new school would also disrupt the many relationships my child has formed with his school community - teachers, counselors, coaches, and friends. We have lived in this community for almost a decade. These relationships took time to build. The BOE needs to take this into consideration when proposing school changes at the high school level. Why not put the new developments being built into the schools that need students? Families moving into those developments would know up front what school their children would attend without disrupting the neighborhoods that are already established. HSHS is not capped. Leave my child there.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Mike Harrer 2 months ago

As a family who lived through the fiasco of Holly Grove/Buckhorn 2 years ago I can't fathom the thought of being forced to another district AGAIN. We moved to Holly Springs specifically for the schools. We are 2 miles from HSHS; my kids already get home on the bus from Buckhorn 45 mins after dismissal. With the shortage of buses and drivers, sending them all the way to FVHS hardly seems practical, much less intelligent. We were told last time that would not be affected for at least 6 years yet here we are again. At what point does common sense come in to play? Not to mention the families, relationships and lives that will be disrupted. Serious consideration must be given to keeping kids close to their current base schools.

6 Votes

Default_avatar
Julie Staskowski 2 months ago

The subdivision off of Cass Holt Rd, 2 miles from HSHS has already had to change schools on the elementary level last year. It is my understanding that those children would not be effected with another change for 6 years. If this proposal goes through then these same children who where in the higher elementary grades will in fact be effected by this change. Also as it is now it takes 30-45 mins on the bus to go those 2 miles from HGMS. How long will it take from FVHS

If this is being changed to accommodate the growth then the new developments/subdivisions should be the ones who are are zoned out of HSHS. They will have this info when they buy their houses. Being grandfathered in should be expanded to the already existing communities. Has anyone asked how are the children with all of these changes??? Something are to quantify but I’m sure social/emotional development is being impacted.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Julie, one point of clarification - we try not to have students at the same grade level (i.e. elementary, middle or high) change schools within three years.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Julie, can you tell me the name of the subdivision off Cass Holt?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Cindy Self about 1 month ago

The subdivision is AVOCET

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lisa Martin 2 months ago

My daughter will be entering her senior year when the proposed change would take effect, moving her from Holly Springs High to Fuquay-Varina High. We live in the Avocet neighborhood. Below are the reason I (and nearly everyone else in my neighborhood oppose this change):

1. Our neighborhood already dealt with a swap in schools just two short years when we were bumped from Holly Grove Elementary to Buckhorn Elementary. This change forced us to also endure a swap from year round to the traditional calendar. At that time, we were told we wouldn’t have to go through another change anytime soon.

2. Switching students in high school disrupts their relationships with their teachers, coaches, counselors, etc. These relationships are essential to their college applications.

3. Holly Springs High School is less than 2 miles from our neighborhood and is in fact on most people’s way to work in the morning. If we have to travel to Fuquay-Varina High School, we would be driving more than 12 miles out of the way round trip, in the opposite direction, adding at least 25 minutes to our commute times to work. The bus ride times would also dramatically increase. It makes very little sense to move our students to a school that is twice as far away from us. In short, HSHS is 1.9 miles from our neighborhood; FVHS is 5.6 miles.

4. There are two new neighborhoods about to be built in this area; one that will include 700 new homes and another that will include 600 homes. These neighborhoods can be zoned for Fuquay-Varina rather than our established neighborhood to deal with the changing demographics.

5. We all bought our homes here when we were based for Holly Springs High School. In fact, our assigned school was a major factor in our home buying decision.

6. Our neighborhood is right on the newly drawn cut off for HSHS. The map would have to be moved less than a quarter mile to include our neighborhood.

Please please consider the dozens of emails you’re about to get from the Avocet neighborhood about this decision. We will also be coming to the board meetings to make our voices heard. We are begging you and the board to reconsider.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Way more families than Avocet are affected exactly as you describe for your neighborhood. There is a deeper fundamental issue that needs addressed. Your #4 is on point!!!!

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Karin Szymanski 2 months ago

It truly makes no sense why they pull kids from the neighborhood school and bus them elsewhere. I bought my house so my son could go to FVMS and then FVHS, we live right near downtown and this is our town. Now we are zoned for WSHS? It makes no sense. I hope they take this all into consideration.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Karin Szymanski 2 months ago

I also bought a house close to downtown area so my child could easily walk to FVMS and then be close to FVHS. I do not know why Wake County Schools would take the neighborhood kids away from their neighborhood school? FV is a small town feel and I would like my child to attend his town school, that is located in his town. This will make me look at magnets and charters. Wake County schools needs to start thinking differently if they want to keep their kids in their seats. There are too many options now a days. This area already has high homeschool and is a target from more charters. I hope y'all take all of these comments into consideration!

1 Vote

Default_avatar

It seems to me that the root cause of all this is that WSHS was built kind of in the middle of nowhere and there are not enough students nearby to fill the school. So FV kids are being pulled to the in to make up the numbers, and in turn HS kids are being pulled into FVHS to fill that gap.

Instead of busing kids all over the map, how about addressing the root cause? That is WSHS does not have enough students in the nearby vicinity. Accept the fact that WSHS is going to be under enrolled until the area builds up. Incentivize families to choose to transfer to WSHS. It should not be too difficult - WSHS is a beautiful new school, I'm sure many families would choose to go there if given the choice and/or the incentive.

7 Votes

Default_avatar
Tommy Ba 2 months ago

I wonder how over 1300 new homes were able to be annexed into the town and get assigned to HS school district so quickly? Giving preference to these homes that aren’t even occupied yet over the existing families that have built their relationships and established their roots in the HS school district family is unconscionable

6 Votes
Default_avatar

It seems that HSHS should have been capped a while back in order to give current residents preference over new construction.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Lisa Baldi 2 months ago

I don’t understand why the Avocet subdivision would be zoned from Holly Springs High School which is less than 2 miles to Fuquay-Varina High School which is more than double the distance. This is a safety concern being that you will have new drivers during peak morning rush hour driving double the distance with busy intersections and a main road, The Avocet sub division has already endured a school change at the elementary school level from Holly Grove Elementary to Buckhorn Creek Elementary, It doesn’t make sense that two brand new developments one of which is a further distance to Holly Springs High School than the Avocet are zoned for Holly Springs High School ( the houses are not even built yet) but an established neighborhood where the children already have strong ties to their community have to be uprooted to a new school . I think this puts the children’s safety at risk and I would like Wake County to give strong consideration to the emotional impact this will have on children.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Kathe SizemoreHill 2 months ago

We live in Wildwood, where the original mapping didn't even have us marked as being slotted for re-districting. Our family, my daughter who attends HGMS and our two boys who are at HSHS are one of the main reasons like many above that we moved to Holly Springs. The schools are less than 5 five minutes away from our house. I understand that if this passes I could "grandfather" all 3 of them so that they could stay at HSHS, but without transportation, which to some degree doesn't seem fair. Where can I find the link to submit the grandfather request?

8 Votes
Default_avatar

Kathe, can you tell me what you mean by the original mapping. As for grandfathering, in this case you wouldn't submit your request for that until next December, most likely. We will be sure to communicate the application window to all eligible families. All eligible students who submit a request will have the request approved.

1 Vote
Default_avatar
Concerned Wildwood Parent about 1 month ago

The Wildwood community needs to stay assigned to Holly Springs High! Many community members have already laid out the arguments and valid reasons for staying with HSHS. Those we elect and the board have the legislative obligation to listen to our concerns and heed our voices. I will summarize here:

1. Safety - the community has already tirelessly worked with the town, NC DOT, and officials to mitigate traffic and safety issues that this debacle of commercial development right behind our backyards will cause. By changing the school assignment, you are changing the HW 55 traffic patterns in a detrimental way and YOU as the county are putting extra unnecessary risk on our kids, the buses, and drivers by changing school assignment
  2. Closeness to HSHS - the school is right behind our neighborhood, less than 5 mins away, walking distance, and no need to traverse busy bi-ways to get to the school. Why do our kids now need to drive on HW 55 in traffic to go to another school in a different city? Many parents in the neighborhood work in RTP - why are you putting an extra 20-30 mins on top of our normal long commute time if they need to now drive out of their on the way or from work to drop off or pick up kids?
  3. This is what is best for the kids - high schoolers are engaged in extra-curricular activities and events in school - re-assignment to a school much further away, especially taking into consideration traffic, is counter-intuitive to this goal. The kids want to maintain the continuity in friendships while moving from Holly Grove MS to Holly Springs HS.
  4. We live in Holly Springs - we are not paying higher taxes to live in Holly Springs to then send our kids to Fuqua! Wildwood has been assigned to Holly Springs HS since the community started - residents of our community VOLUNTARILY opted-in to Holly Springs high school when we chose live in community. My understanding is that there are new neighborhoods that do not need to contend with these issues that are planning to get new assignment to Holly Springs HS. To be brutally honest, it makes much more logical sense for them to be zoned to Fuqua and that provides residents a free choice if they want to live in that community and attend Fuqua HS. Please do not penalize current residents by forcing a decision that we do not agree with.

A change in re-assignment does not solve your goals, only exacerbates the issues and puts unnecessary burden and safety risk on our community. As our representatives, please do what is RIGHT for the community and vote to keep Wildwood assigned to Holly Springs HS. Do not vote for something that you yourself would not agree with for your own kids or your community!!!

2 Votes

I agree Kathe, not having transportation is unfairly burdening the families that are impacted.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

thank you Matt.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Amy Lowe 2 months ago

Our neighborhood (Phillips Pointe) is on both sides of Judd parkway near downtown FV. Half will go to FVHS and half will go to WSHS. Why is the neighborhood split in half? FVHS is much closer than WSHS to our home.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Kristy Gajowiak 2 months ago

I do not understand how the zoning was decided between FVHS and WSHS. Our neighborhood, West Oaks, has always been zoned to Ballentine Elementary, HGMS, and FVHS. With this proposed change, we are now slotted to go to WSHS. I have a child in HGMS that started in Ballentine in Kindergarten. We are the only neighborhood from this class to get rezoned. These kids have been together since Kindergarten and have built amazing friendships and support systems. It seems like this doesn't take current groupings of schools and children into account at all. Also, FVHS appears that it will be under utilized while WSHS will be at a much higher capacity. The area around WSHS is currently one of the fastest growing sections in Wake County, why not let the area grow into that school? Makes no sense at all. I believed that since Johnson Pond Road appears to be the dividing line between Banks Rd. elementary and Ballentine Elementary, that this would remain the line for the highschool. It makes so much more sense as it would cause the least disruption. Parents shouldn't have to consider moving in order to ensure that the well being of their children. Please re-consider the zoning of the high schools.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Krista Thomas 2 months ago

I’m extremely unhappy about this. We built a home in Holly Springs specifically for the schools. My older 3 children will be protected by the grandfathering but my youngest child will not. Why is there not another option that allows parents who want to choose to allow their children to switch the option to alleviate the overcrowding? Will there be the ability to request transfers to allow my child to attend holly springs high school? It’s much closer to our home anyway and I want my child to finish her education at the holly springs schools as I originally intended.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Krista, you can request a transfer to any school during the Request for Transfer period, which usually takes place in late February/early March.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Matt- When and how does the grandfathering work? I see the links and the proposal and the window, but will it be pretty straight forward when the time comes?? Our subdivision was never on the initial map and now it is. Like so many others above, we moved to Holly Springs and as close to HGMS and HSHS as possible to be able to have our children attend these schools....which should be noted that there is something about the teaching at these schools that parents want for their kids. Please advise....

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Rish 2 months ago

I'm writing about the movement of kids in the Wildwood development in Holly Springs to the new FV High School. My concern is that HSHS is less than a mile from our development. The school is essentially behind the trees in my backyard...we hear the sporting events from our house, the band, see the lights from the football games, etc. Why would we be moved 8 miles down the road when we are so close to HSHS? This doesn't seem to make sense to me. Thank you for your attention, and thank you in advance for your response.

9 Votes

Default_avatar
Susan Morgan 2 months ago

Wildwood is an established residential single-family community consisting of 157 homes. We are located west of 55 bypass. Garrison and Grove Park Village are also residential single-family subdivisions located west of 55 bypass and SOUTH of us. Both Garrison and Grove Park Village remain districted to HSHS while Wildwood is singled out to go to Fuquay-Varina. Wildwood even has a history of sharing bus routes with Garrison to HSHS as recent as last year. Grove Park Village is not as established as a community as it is still under construction.
Wildwood is bordered by commercially zoned land. We share perimeters with the future Lowes Home Improvement and Wegmans development. The residents of Wildwood along with the Town of Holly Springs staff, The Mayor, and The Town Council have worked tirelessly with Lowes developers and the DOT to minimize expected traffic risks to the residents of Wildwood. The greatest concern has been the anticipated high volume of traffic these large stores will generate including tractor trailer delivery trucks and commercial contractor vehicles pulling trailers. Please take note of the recent opening at Wegmans store in Raleigh as to what Wildwood will experience regarding consumer traffic. The infrastructure of this approved development will direct most traffic away from Wildwood encouraging delivery trucks, tractor trailers and contractors to use the future entrance on 55 bypass or the future entrance on Ralph Stevens Road which will be located to the west of Wildwood’s only way in or out of the subdivision. Both Lowes Home Improvement and Wegmans will have the above-mentioned traffic activity before buses start running in the morning. Reassigning Wildwood to FV will cause buses and teen drivers to turn toward and navigate past these entrances negating all efforts to keep the residents safe. Wildwood needs to stay at HSHS in order to avoid travel dangers a reassignment to FV would bring. Also, we are less than a mile away from HSHS as a crow flies and we hear the high school football games from our homes. We would like to continue to enjoy the games and listen to the band and the other activities at Holly Springs as OUR school and not as a rival school. Please redraw your assignment line to keep Wildwood as part of HSHS. On a personal note: I moved to HS in 1996 prior to its first school opening. HS elementary. My sons were 9 and 10 years old. We went through many changes, reassignments and recalendaring. One son graduated from Apex, the other a year later from Middle Creek. I made no objections. I understand growth, overcrowding, and the need for balance. We were assigned to HSHS upon its opening in 2006 only to be reassigned to Apex Friendship in 2015. I did not object. Instead, I moved in order to remain at HSHS. I moved to Wildwood. Just prior to this proposed reassignment taking affect I will be graduating my youngest child, my daughter, from HSHS in spring of 2021. Therefore, I speak without emotion or bias but rather logic as I object to the reassignment of Wildwood to FV. Wildwood would be best served to remain part of HSHS. There are alternative subdivisions available for reassignment to reduce overcrowding and create the balance needed, who’s residents will not face the traffic risks Wildwood will and/or who do not live so close to HSHS that they can hear the High School from their homes. From a safety standpoint Mainstreet Square east of 55 bypass would be a better choice for reassignment than Wildwood. I ask the School Board to look at East Southeast sections of Holly Springs for some other possible alternatives. I also agree with others that any new developments including those currently under construction should be looked at as priority for reassignment. Look as far east as Bass Lake Road and Sunset Lake Road, if not to go to FV then to Willow Spring or Middle Creek. Westcott is quite a distance from HSHS and has new communities being built nearby. This would be a great section to consider for reassignment. Brook Manor and Logan’s Manor are other great options as they are a good distance away from HSHS and both still under construction. More of the lower section of Middle Creek HS could go to Willow Springs and the East section of Holly Springs moved to Middle Creek since that school is so close to the east side of Holly Springs. Reassignment of Wildwood will Undo what the town has accomplished with Lowes, Wegmans and the DOT for the safety of our residents in one swift act.

11 Votes
Default_avatar
Shannon Watson 2 months ago

Yes, please keep the Wildwood subdivision districted for Holly Springs HS. Our kids would be able to walk to school. Switching to a school that is 5 miles away does not make sense and poses more problems than solutions.

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Susan Morgan 2 months ago

Correction, the entrance to Lowe's and Wegmans on Ralph Stevens Road will be to the east of Wildwood,s only entrance, not the west.

5 Votes

Default_avatar
LaRonda Scott 2 months ago

As expressed by so many, the idea of of my children's base school changing is both disappointing and frustrating. My family just purchased a home within the HSHS zone for the sole purpose of our children remaining at HSHS. This was a big financial decision for our family. This isn't a move that happened years ago. We purchased and moved into our home back in April - April 2019! Our new neighborhood is just 3.6 miles away from HSHS. The drive from our neighborhood is quiet with minimal traffic. Changing their base school would mean placing them at a school that's 8 miles away and having to maneuver a great deal of morning traffic on major roadways. This is especially true at the Piney Grove Wilbon and Duncan Cook Road intersection. Avoiding that nasty intersection would only add miles and time to their commute. PLEASE reconsider and redraw your assignment map to keep Duncans Ridge at HSHS.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Liz Aguilar about 1 month ago

I agree. We are in Vintage Pointe, my kids would have to go through Piney Grove Wilbon across 55 when HSHS is 3 minutes away.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Serena Saw 2 months ago

It does not make sense for our neighborhood (Ballentine) and other neighborhoods along Sunset Lake Road to be rezoned to WSHS when FVHS is a 5 minute drive that avoids the center of town versus a 15 min drive clear across town and right through the middle of the busy 55/401/42 intersections. My current FVHS senior has experienced both drives. We are already zoned to Holly Grove Middle and then to send high school students in the opposite direction does not make sense for families. Wouldn't a dividing line along Main St and Johnson Pond Rd. make more sense? Especially with a low projected enrollment for FVHS? There are plenty of neighborhoods that are willing to stay zoned for FVHS.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kimberly ColeBrown 2 months ago

Please consider keeping the Avocet Neighborhood at HSHS. HGMS is our middle school, and these kids need consistency. Furthermore, you just impacted us by changing us to Buckhorn Creek. Avocet is less that 2 miles from HSHS, which is much closer than FVHS, safer for teen drivers, and will allow my family to volunteer and participate in the life of the school. We chose our neighborhood because of the schools... I also think it is very important for kids to go to school with other students that live in their community...

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Purna Yal 2 months ago

Yes, for the purpose of SAFETY, SECURITY and the convenience, keep Wild wood community under the Holly Springs High school. Thanks for understanding, WCPSS!

5 Votes

Bootstrap_10159328000355228
Amber Harrer about 1 month ago

I am writing in response to the new Proposed Reassignment Plan, specifically the reassignment of the Avocet Community to Fuquay Varina HS. If you recall, we were drastically impacted last year with the opening of Buckhorn Creek Elementary due to our kids being reassigned, but mostly by it being opened as a traditional calendar school and facing misaligned schedules for the foreseeable future. After fighting hard in support of opening as a YR school due to population growth needs and alignment of calendars and losing 5-4 in the vote, it was very disheartening to hear Mr. Martin say we need to look at opening more YR schools to accommodate the growth needs. I start with all of this as our community is once again being impacted by another alignment shift that, frankly, makes no sense and is not in the best interest of the students and families in our community. During this time, the board expressed they do not want to impact the same set of students within a 6 year period and this plan, as proposed, will drastically impact those same set of students. Children who are currently in 3rd grade and above, who were impacted by the move to BCES are going to be the same kids impacted by this assignment plan in the Avocet and Oliver Creek communities. Do not continue to displace this children and ask them to continue to rebuild during these critical phases in their lives. Let us stay at HSHS. Our community is reaching out to you in solidarity to ask you to please reconsider assigning Avocet and to leave us with HSHS. Many of us are facing misaligned calendars in the coming years and the saving grace is having the schools close by. This will allow us to be both actively involved parents with our children, as well as our schools. We are a smaller community of around 250 homes who continue to be impacted by rezoning year after year. Our neighborhood is well established having been here for 10 years and are being pushed out of our local school that is 2 miles from my home (FVHS is anywhere between 6-8 miles depending on route), door to door, by new neighborhoods that are popping up. Our kids are established in the current schools that feed into HSHS and have developed strong relationships within their peer groups. High school is not the time to take that away from them and move them to a new peer group socially, psychologically, or emotionally, nor does it align with the pillars established by the board. While I acknowledge, statistically speaking, both high schools are similar in their performance, I do believe there could be a shift when kids are taken from what they know and are comfortable with at a fragile point in adolescent development and being asked to start over building and establishing social crowds and peer groups. The toll this takes on children is drastic. HSHS is not capped, and even if it were, many of the families living in Avocet have been here quite some time and would more than likely meet any grandfathering parameters set in place, much as they did with HGES years back, prior to the reassignment to BCES. Much of the information shared in the board meeting was not accurate; such as HSHS and FVHS being the same distance from each other at the 1:33 mark in the work session (see above). I am also trying to wrap my brain around the idea of new homes being built along Avent Ferry essentially getting to retain neighborhood schools while those of use who have been established are being pushed out. Our kids are already dealing with constant changes from elementary to middle and having to change peer groups and reestablish and are now being asked to do this again going middle school to high school. We are really focused on what is best for our children. Why would you move the kids who can literally hear Friday night football games from that school rather than kids who are coming in from the north and east sides of HS. FV is also experiencing unprecedented growth and will need that space for their residents in the near future. Please, we are begging you, to let our kids stay at HSHS. We are looking for some semblance of stability for our children as they enter some of their most critical years in high school. These proposed changes have the ability to not only negatively impact them over those 4 years, but for the rest of their lives. I provided all school board members a new map which moves Avocet and Oliver Creek, two smaller neighbor hoods, back to HSHS and shows how small this area is. We are an extremely involved community and moving us to FVHS will take away our ability to do so. We would like to remain involved with our local schools, supporting them, and our children as we believe this is a critical time in their lives and operate as a very close community. Please allow us the opportunity to do that.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Tommy Ba about 1 month ago

So what happened to waiting until the schools cap out and sending the new enrollees to adjoining schools? Maybe it’s time to use some of all those tax dollars coming in from the enormous amount of new homes that are being approved to crowd up our town and build another high school so the existing families can stay where they are!

keeptheavocetinhshs

2 Votes

I am an Avocet resident and I very upset that our children are once again being used as pawns by the Wake County Board of education. Two years ago, our children's lives were put in an upheaval when they were moved to a new elementary school. They now must deal with going to a traditional school to a year-round middle school and then back to a traditional high school. How does that make any sense? We were promised by the board two years ago that our kids would not be impacted again for another 6 years. Yet here we are two years later, and these same kids will be impacted again.
We live 1.7 miles from HSHS. It is a straight shot up Cass Holt road an easy 5 min ride. This will impact many families that drop their kids off at school on their way to work. I work in Cary and I already have a long commute (24 miles) if I have to drive my daughter to FVHS it will add an additional 12+ miles to my commute as well as increasing the already insane traffic on the 55 bypass. You are forcing young new drivers to drive further away which includes making some unsafe and impossible left turns during rush hour to get to FVHS.
What I don't understand is why a school was built in Willow Springs? To fill that school, you move kids from FVHS and then to fill FVHS you move kids from HSHS? No one is happy about their kids having to move. This makes no sense. HSHS is not capped and neither is FVHS. Please leave our children alone and move Avocet back to HSHS. Our children go to elementary and middle school in Holly Springs and to make them move to FVHS will mean that they will leave a lot of friendships behind. High school is a time when they need to have stable relationships with friends. It is a major part of a teenager’s life.
Avocet has been an established community for over a decade and yet homes that are yet to be built will get to have their children go to HSHS. It should be the new home owners that have to have their kids moved to a school further away. When they purchase their homes, they will be aware what schools their kids will be attending. We purchased our home because we wanted our kids to go to HSHS. I came from a state that had an excellent education system none of this ever was necessary and the kids were never bussed to a school further away.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Mary Ann, Grandfathered students do not receive busing. The only exception to this applies to younger siblings of 11th and 12th graders who are assigned to a new high school. This scenario.

High School Students – Assigned to New School (Willow Spring High) Students rising to grades 11 and 12 living in the base attendance area of Willow Spring High cannot attend Willow Spring High, because it is opening for 9th and 10th only. They will remain at their current high school and continue to receive their current level of transportation. Their siblings rising to 9th and 10th grades are eligible to grandfather with their older sibling and stay at their existing school. Those younger siblings can then remain at the school even after the older sibling graduates. Grandfather requests can be made during a special application period, likely in early December 2020. They are eligible to receive transportation only for as long as the older sibling attends that school or they change addresses, whichever comes first.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

MaryAnn, in response to your question below, not sure how to answer without knowing your specific situation. Here are the proposed grandfather rules. If this doesn't answer your question let me know. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Hi Matt, thank you but it does not mention "exempt" students which in this case are Seniors. Will seniors have busing?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
ALICE RUP about 1 month ago

Hi there!! Oliver Creek is 1.5 miles from Holly Springs High School! Why are you all putting kids on a bus to a school further away?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Hi Alice, definitely understand where you're coming from, but it is impossible to send every student in the district to their absolute closest schools. We have no control over where housing developments are built nor how large they can be. There is also limited land available for us to purchase for new schools, and we can't always find it in the most optimum locations. This proposal is seeking to ensure healthy school populations at Willow Spring, Fuquay-Varina and Holly Springs high schools. Please also keep in mind the proposed grandfathering rules, which would allow all Holly Springs High students affected by this proposal to stay at their current school though without transportation. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40945

0 Votes

Matt, I am thankful for the ability to allow our kids to be grandfathered. But not having transportation is a burden for parents that can not afford to buy a car for just my one daughter. Some families impacted can't afford to buy a car for any of their kids. This is an unfair financial burden being placed on us. My daughter will be a senior when this happens. How can I let her be moved her last year because I can't afford to have a car specifically for her to use. We have a car for her and my older daughter (who will be attending Wake Tech) so my high schooler will not have transportation home every day. :(

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Liz Aguilar about 1 month ago

I have both questions and comments. My daughter will be starting 10th grade at HSHS 21-22, will she be eligible to grandfather into HSHS? If so, my other daughter will begin 9th grade in 2023-2024 (the other child will be in 12th), will she be grandfathered based on the fact that her sister will be attending HSHS, and will she be allowed to stay through exit?

My family is a military family. My husband received orders here, and we decided to purchase our home around the schools and community we wanted our children to attend. After so many years of moving around the country, and seeing our kid’s disappointment every time they had to move schools, we promised to provide them stability. This summer, my husband received orders to California for four years to deploy shortly after. Because of the schools and the promise we made, we decided that he would execute orders alone while we stayed behind. We sacrificed the family being together for our children, and now it seems like it went in vain.

Every year other military service members in the area and I fill out the Military-Connected Students Data Form. The form states that per NC Session Law 2014-15, you will support families during transitioning, with deployed parents, and during pivotal times. The Department of Education provides extra funding through the Federal Impact Aid, for each military child that attends your schools, so that you can provide resources to families like mine during these times. With that said, this is a pivotal time during this and future deployments for my family. We need and want to stay at HSHS. We need and want transportation to HSHS. Reassigning them would emotionally devastate my children that will already be dealing with a father overseas. It would also pose a significant hardship for my family. I would have to choose between working and staying home so that I can transport my children to school.

We choose to live in Holly Springs, not Fuquay-Varina. We LOVE our community, our schools, and want to remain at Holly Springs High School with the teachers we have come to know and love. We have built relationships with staff, administrators, and have worked closely with our community to help support the school with fundraisers and volunteer hours. Moving children to the other side of town will drastically change the amount of time and effort, parents can participate in school events.

Our subdivision is Vintage Pointe, a subdivision with 26 homes. There are five students, five, that go to HSHS. As they exit out, new ones will attend, and guess what? It will only be a handful of kids each time. Not enough to make a difference to your reassignment plan. Please leave the Vintage Pointe subdivision students alone. Why are you willing to bus my children farther away, down Piney Grove Wilbon and across 55? This will create more traffic, more risk (put seat belts on the buses), and create more transportation issues for an already broken system when they are 4 minutes away from HSHS? Why are Fuquay-Varina students assigned to Holly Springs High? If you need to relieve crowding at HSHS, then reassign students that live in FV back to FVHS, instead of moving students that live in HS to FV. Why not reassign those students back to FVHS and leave the HSHS students alone? Why did the board lie to parents and say students affected by the BCES reassignment would not face these same issues for at least another six years? Why do you make these Drafts without polling the community first, which will lead to better planning? Why do parents not get a say? Why are parents not heard?

I sincerely hope that you are all listening to the people that live in this community, that have a better understanding of community needs and wants.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Liz, your daughter who will be in 10th grade in 2021 would be eligible to grandfather under the current proposal. Your younger daughter also would be eligible to grandfather under the proposed rules, as long as the older sibling is scheduled to be attending the school at the same time the rising 9th grader is requesting to attend, which sounds like will be the case. Under the proposed rules, all grandfathered high school students are allowed to remain at the school until they graduate.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Liz, this is the forum where parents are heard. Staff and board members review and consider all feedback as they work toward a final plan. Keep in mind this is just a Draft 1 proposal.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Melanie Kramer about 1 month ago

How can I see the details of the maps? I am looking at the draft document, but cannot zoom in or see street names.

0 Votes

Laura Bishop about 1 month ago

Liz's comment about the size of her neighborhood really resonated with me. My neighborhood (Scarborowood) has 13 houses. While you are hearing from a lot of Avocet residents and I agree that they should not be re-zoned either, I do not want my small neighborhood to get lost in the shuffle. The way the draft 1 map is drawn the HSHS area comes about 3/4 of the way down Rouse Rd. on the north side and then stops shortly before my neighborhood. It would be logical to extend the HSHS area to include these few homes and stop at the natural dividing line, where Rouse Road ends at Piney Grove Wilbon. It seems this would make sense for bus routes as well to avoid sending buses from 2 different high schools down the same small stretch of road. Since very few students are affected I cannot see how this would significantly impact the enrollment numbers. Thank you.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Dawn Davison about 1 month ago

I agree 100% with the suggestions to keep everything west of Piney Grove Wilbon assigned to HSHS and everything west of N. Main Street/401 assigned to FVHS. These are established neighborhoods that have been sending their children to HSHS or FVHS for several years. Doing so will prevent those parents/children west of N Main Street/401 from having to cross 401 to get to Willow Springs HS and it prevents parents/children west of Piney Grove Wilbon from having to cross Piney Grove Wilbon and Hwy 55 to get to FVHS. If you did this, wouldn’t it balance out the numbers (at least some)? If there is still a concern with development in Holly Springs and the number of homes coming up off Rex Road, Old Honeycutt, etc. then move the dirt don't move the established neighborhoods. We live in the Duncans Ridge community and it seems ridiculous that you are willing to move neighborhoods that have been here 10+ years rather than dirt communities that don’t even have homes built yet. Those communities should know that if they move to an area where the school is at or above capacity they will be bussed to another school.

6 Votes
Default_avatar
Tim Manhardt about 1 month ago

Can I give this 1,000 likes? Primary boundaries of east west exist. Leverage those. 55 is dangerous and busy during the commute....as is Piney Grove Wilbon. An East, West diving line also aligns well with growth patterns. West of 55 & Piney Grove Wilbon = Holly Springs High. East of 55 & Piney Grove Wilbon = Middle Creek/Fuquay. 401 divide between Fuquay and Willow Spring. I think you will find that this will address Student Achievement balance as well as population numbers and growth acceptance. Can we also talk about the volume of grandfathering? Car pool lines are already a disaster and contributing to irregular and excessive traffic patterns. Fix the plan. Draft 1 is broken.

5 Votes
Default_avatar
Nur Hayat about 1 month ago

Given the new traffic changes that a potential Wildwood school re-assignment will have, the county is putting extra liability on our kids, the bus drivers, and the neighborhood as a whole! Please keep our kids and community safe by keeping Wildwood assigned to Holly Springs HS!!!

1 Vote

I totally agree all areas west of Piney Grove should be routed to HSHS. We are all right on Cass Holt Road where the school resides. A very quick 3 minute ride up the road. I would like someone to explain how the trailer community (which is right between Avocet and Oliver Creek is mapped to HSHS while both our communities are mapped to FVHS. The houses right across from our development on Rex Road are mapped to HSHS? The current lines make absolutely no sense. Please reconsider how these lines are drawn. Our communities are small you will not get the demographics you are looking for but just one of the new developments that have not even been built yet will have 600 new homes(much more than both of our communities) in just one of them. Move dirt not children!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Susan Morgan about 1 month ago

Wildwood is West of 55 Hwy and needs to stay at HSHS. This week a young girl was hit and killed near our corner. Ralph Stevens and 55 Hwy. and Lowes and Wegmans is not even here yet. Wildwood currently has HSHS and HGMS students riding bikes and walking to school, we are in such close proximity to the school. These students are able to participate in after school activities because of walkability!!! We need to stay away from 55 HWY...teen drivers and buses navigating semi-trucks can be devastating!!!

6 Votes

Default_avatar

I am still waiting for a response from my question from 16 days ago. Latest response indicated to ignore data that was provided and then retracted. It is now 16 days later. Any update on this??? This question was not addressed...

What is the impact of student achievement to Holly Springs, Fuquay and Willow Spring with this proposal? Draft 1 looks imbalanced based on data accessible to the public.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

Tim. I do apologize for the delay. We use proficiency on 10th grade English EOC tests. Here are the current proficiency levels as well as the changes if the proposed moves are approved. As you can see, there is very little change.

Current

Fuquay-Varina High 67.2% Holly Springs High 78.6% Middle Creek High 61.7% Willow Spring High N/A

If Proposed Moves Approved

Fuquay-Varina High 68.5% Holly Springs High 79.6% Middle Creek High 63.5% Willow Spring High 65.5%

0 Votes

I totally agree with Tim it does not make sense that all three schools will go up.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

Respectfully,.how can all three schools go up? Doesn't make sense...

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Hi Tim,

Will try to use a couple of examples to illustrate:

We are proposing to send students from Fuquay-Varina High to Willow Spring High, while also proposing moving students from Holly Springs High to Fuquay-Varina High. Under this scenario, Fuquay-Varina’s overall proficiency rate on 10th grade English EOC would tick up by 1.3 percentage points. This could indicate one or both of the following: -The cohort of students proposed to move from Fuquay-Varina to Willow Spring has a SLIGHTLY lower proficiency percentage than Fuquay-Varina's most recent 10th grade EOC scores. -The cohort of students coming in from Holly Springs has a SLIGHTLY higher overall proficiency rate than Fuquay-Varina's most recent 10th grade EOC scores.

Then, you see that Holly Springs High’s overall proficiency would tick up by 1 percentage point. The indication here is that the cohort of students proposed to move out of Holly Springs High had a SLIGHTLY lower overall proficiency rate than Holly Springs High's most recent 10th grade EOC scores.

Again, we are not talking about major changes for any school.

1 Vote

My student who is at HSHS is an honor student who takes multiple AP classes. The children in our development are similar. So is the purpose of the WCPSS to make 3 mediocre schools? Our children should not be used as pawns to fix lower performing schools. It is not their job. These numbers have no factual base. One more fact is that you are basing this on kids who will not even move to FVHS since they will have graduated the year before. My student has not even taken her 10 year EOC since she is a sophomore. But she will be a Senior when this would happen. How can you use scores of kids that will have graduated to determine how to do the reassignment. Does this mean that kids will be moved every year based on their proficiency on their 10th grade EOC's?

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Hammad Nasir about 1 month ago

I am NOT happy with this proposal. I live in Wildwood and like most families who have kids going to high school enjoy the proximity of Holly Springs HS. Wildwood is an established residential single-family community consisting of 157 homes. We are located west of 55 bypass. Garrison and Grove Park Village are also residential single-family subdivisions located west of 55 bypass and south of us. Both Garrison and Grove Park Village remain districted to HSHS while Wildwood is singled out to go to Fuquay-Varina. Wildwood even has a history of sharing bus routes with Garrison to HSHS as recent as last year. Wildwood is bordered by commercially zoned land. We share perimeters with the future Lowes Home Improvement and Wegmans development. The residents of Wildwood along with the Town of Holly Springs staff, The Mayor, and The Town Council have worked tirelessly with Lowes developers and the NCDOT to minimize expected traffic risks to the residents of Wildwood. Reassigning Wildwood to FV will cause buses and teen drivers to turn toward and navigate past these entrances negating all efforts to keep the residents safe. Wildwood needs to stay at HSHS in order to avoid travel dangers a reassignment to FV would bring. The greatest concern has been the anticipated high volume of traffic these large stores will generate including tractor trailer delivery trucks and commercial contractor vehicles pulling trailers full of building materials. Wegmans does not have a distributions site in the area so individual venders will be making truck deliveries throughout the day. Please take note of the recent opening at Wegmans store in Raleigh as to what Wildwood will experience regarding consumer traffic. The infrastructure of this approved development will direct most traffic away from Wildwood encouraging delivery trucks, tractor trailers and contractors to use the future entrance on 55 bypass as the main entrance and secondarily the future entrance on Ralph Stevens Road which will be located to the east of Wildwood’s only way in or out of the subdivision. Both Lowes Home Improvement and Wegmans will have the above-mentioned traffic activity before buses start running in the morning with an even greater impact for the afternoon return home. 55Bypass intersection at Ralph Stevens Road will be turned into another super street like the one at Target. Tractor trailers will be making u-turns as inexperienced drivers will be making right hand turns at the same time in the same direction. The outcome of accidents involving semi-trucks can be devastating. This is of extreme importance. Reassignment of Wildwood will Undo what the town has accomplished with Lowes, Wegmans and the NCDOT in one swift act. As with most families assigned to HSHS, school selection was a top priority in deciding where to live. The walkability, proximity of the schools was a deciding factor for many of the Wildwood residents in choosing this neighborhood over another. The bus ride to Holly Springs High School is a ten-minute run from beginning to end. Wildwood is in the Township of Holly Springs and we pay town taxes to support the infrastructure of Holly Springs and one of the benefits is sidewalks. Some of Wildwood’s Holly Springs High School and Holly Grove Middle School students currently ride their bikes or walk to school. There is a section not paved. However, current proposed/approved commercial developments will make the final connections for us shortly. Continuing to be able to ride and walk with such close proximity of the High School with allow more students to participate in after school activities they might otherwise miss out on because of transportation issues with parents’ work schedules.
We are less than a mile away from HSHS as a crow flies and we hear the high school football games from our homes. We would like to continue to enjoy the games and listen to the band and the other sporting events and activities at Holly Springs as OUR school and not as a rival school. Wildwood would be best served to remain a part of HSHS as continued participants in this interconnected section of Holly Springs allowing for stability for our children who have established relationships in this section of the town.

Please redraw your assignment line to keep Wildwood as part of HSHS.

6 Votes

Default_avatar

Our address is 6013 Brass Tack Ct, Fuquay Varina. Under your proposal, our son will be assigned to Fuquay Varina HS (FVHS) in his 9th grade year, and then be reassigned to Willow Spring HS (WSHS) in his 10th grade year. We DO NOT support this proposed plan for reassignment for many reasons. There is an abundance of statistical data that shows children who change schools after 8th grade have lower grades in reading and math, have lower school engagement, have social difficulty, and have a higher rate of dropping out of high school. The fact that FVHS will be housed in WSHS facility during his 9th grade year is no exception to the negative impacts of this transition. WSHS will only carry over a portion of the rising 10th graders while other rising 10th graders and all rising 11th graders, teachers, guidance/counseling, and administration will move to FVHS. In addition, WSHS will not be able to have a complete student body and will only house 9th and 10th grade classes and will have inequality in sports and other extracurricular activities compared to all other schools. This will only serve as an academic and social disadvantage that will have negative impacts on the quality of education during high school that could impact college admission. We respectfully request that our son remain assigned to FVHS for his full high school term. If we are reassigned to WSHS or not grandfathered in to FVHS, then we will be severely burdened as we must take matters into our own hands and move our residence where we will not be used to partially fill up a new school despite all its negative impacts. I look forward to hearing back from WCPSS.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

Andrea, regarding your comment below about course offerings at Willow Spring. We have the recent example a high school that opened recently for 9th and 10th graders: Apex Friendship High School. In its first year, it offered band, including marching band, chorus, dance and AP Human Geography, along with the other core classes - including honors level - and electives. The school added more AP courses and drama in year 2, and offered the full range of AP courses in its third year. It offered varsity teams in all sports except football, and was able to field JV teams in most sports as well. At the start of the year, clubs such as Student Council, DECA and Key Club were offered, and other co-curricular and student interest clubs opened early in the school year. Of course we can’t guarantee this is exactly what will be offered in the first few years at Willow Spring, but this gives an idea of breadth of academic and extracurricular offerings, even starting in the first year.

I strongly encourage you to attend the Open House at Fuquay-Varina High next Tuesday. There will be a special presentation regarding what to expect when starting at a new high school.

0 Votes
Default_avatar

Hi Matt, we attended the open house held at Willow Spring HS last night 10/29. We spoke to many Wake County officials there. Let us be clear about our complaint and the resolution we want. 1. Our son will not be given the benefit of continuity to start at one school and stay with his entire class, peer group, teachers, and staff for the entirety of his high school experience. After he finishes his 9th grade year at Fuquay Varina HS (in the WSHS building), the only thing that will remain for him is the school building and an unknown portion of his rising 10th grade classmates. This is a social and cultural problem for a 14-15 year old child who is so affected by their social development. In addition, there will be a much more limited academic offering as well as more limited athletics, athletics events, and recreation activities. All of this was confirmed and acknowledged by Wake County officials during our discussions at the meeting. This is totally unfair and forced upon us for the sake of growth. It is not the best for our child. We cannot be a part of it.
2. We request the assignment plan be changed to capture our address (6013 Brass Tack Ct, Fuquay Varina) in the Fuquay Varina HS zone to provide our child the social continuity, stability, and full academic offering that is given to all other students in the County. We do not want grandfather or transfer as a settlement because is it not provided with transportation, which is another hardship. This is the best plan for our child. We ask Wake County to make such changes in its future assignment proposal. Our address is very close to the current border of the proposed zones, thus our request only requires a very small adjustment to allow our problem be to resolved.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Satish Kadali about 1 month ago

Please keep the Wildwood subdivision districted for Holly Springs HS. Our kids would be able to walk to school. Switching to a school that is far away is not fair and poses more problems than solutions. Wildwood needs to stay at HSHS in order to avoid travel dangers a reassignment to FV would bring.PLEASE reconsider and redraw your assignment map to keep Wildwood at HSHS. Thank you.

5 Votes

I have some questions on the email that was sent out on Friday regarding the sessions to discuss the proposed changes. Can some one please address them?

1. There is no mention of Holly Springs residents who are impacted. Why is there not a meeting being held in Holly Springs? Why is Holly Springs impacted students being put in the background?

2. These "sessions" are being called Open Houses? Are we going to be able to voice our concerns to the school board? Will we be allowed to speak to them? Is there a signup for speaking?

1 Vote
Default_avatar

MaryAnn, please take a moment to read this, some perspective about what test scores really say about the overall quality of a school. https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/discussions/proposed-school-assignment-changes-for-2020-21-and-2021-22/topics/a-word-about-school-ratings

Again, I would definitely encourage you to attend the Open House at Fuquay-Varina to talk with our academics staff about your concerns.

0 Votes

Default_avatar

MaryAnn, regarding your response above in the thread with Tim. As we have said, the primary driver of these proposals is filling the new high school with students while ensuring healthy student populations at both Fuquay-Varina High and Holly Springs High. We use the 10th grade EOC data point so we have an apples-to-apples snapshot of all students involved in the proposal and to help us see if there is any indication that we could be sending a disproportionate number of higher needs students to any one school. This is clearly not the case with this proposal. As for the other point about AP courses and honors students, Fuquay-Varina has and will continue to have many AP course offerings and honors students. I encourage you to speak with representatives from our academics department at the Nov. 29 meeting at Fuquay-Varina High. They'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

0 Votes

Matt, why would I as a parent want my child to be moved to a school with lower test scores? I cringe every time you say this will not impact many kids because if YOUR child is impacted that statement is insulting. My daughter is at a point in her schooling that is very important. She is not a pawn that the WCPSS can use to fix their issues. She will only be in HS once. It is the foundation for her college for her life. Leave our kids where they are. Why would I want her to go from a school with a rating of 79% to one of 68%?

That is based on the numbers you stated copied below for reference:

Current

Fuquay-Varina High 67.2% Holly Springs High 78.6% Middle Creek High 61.7% Willow Spring High N/A

If Proposed Moves Approved

Fuquay-Varina High 68.5% Holly Springs High 79.6% Middle Creek High 63.5% Willow Spring High 65.5% Would you be happy if it was your child?

KEEP AVOCET at HSHS! Move dirt not children!

1 Vote

Default_avatar

But WSHS will not have as many AP courses or honor students as either FV or HS High Schools. The building may be modern and new but the offerings will be sub par compared to other schools.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

The session at Fuquay-Varina High is for Holly Springs families proposed to have new assignments. There will be school board members present and they will be happy to talk with parents. There is not a sign-up to speak.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Amanda Liimatainen about 1 month ago

I’m here echoing the many comments ( Laura Bishop, Courtney Davis, Amber Harrer, Tim Manhardt , SG George, Rachel Taylor, Diana Johnston, Amy Dethlefsen, Mike Harrer, Julie Staskowski and many more)

One response to Julie “Julie, one point of clarification - we try not to have students at the same grade level (i.e. elementary, middle or high) change schools within three years”.
Q: The same grade level... Does WCPSS consider community? Our elementary school students were impacted 2 years ago and if Draft one is passed they will be impacted again. It’s the community impact.

I’m unable to attend the community meetings or upcoming WCPSS school meetings to ensure our voices are heard. We are pushed to the forum, for which I appreciate the responses. I HOPE that more than 1 person from WCPSS is reading the comments, that our school board representatives read, hear, and receive the community feedback in the forum. Therefore, I also believe that this is not the only space to which parents and communities should provide feedback. Warning: This post is long Q: What is the impact to our students when we continually shift the community support of schools? I raised at the 10/15/19 WCPSS board meeting: "What is the impact to our students and families when we continually shift the consistency of community?"

This is a numbers game. Enrollment, test scores, socioeconomic…I get it. Our communities are not just numbers. I hope that WCPSS will consider our existing communities, over dirt.

In Draft 1 of the assignment plan, the nearly 1400 homes approved for construction nearby, many of which have not broken ground but will soon, are aligned to Holly Springs High School, and many of our communities are moved AGAIN (e.g. Avocet, Oliver Creek, Powell Farms). We take it personally. WCPSS moved us before, only 2 short years ago, as Buckhorn Creek was being built. My elementary school student was moved out of HGES year-round to traditional calendar at BCES. A 5th grader now, he will return to a year-round calendar again next year for middle school at HGMS. My oldest is a freshman at Holly Springs High School. The HSHS driveway is 1.9 miles from our neighborhood bus stop on Rouse Road. I hear that commute times, traffic, proximity and transportation are not your focus.

Q: Though Stability and Proximity are 2 of the four pillars that your information says are equally important. Since you’re not equally using your pillars in the development of the maps, please share with our communities what you are using.
We need to understand the parameters, and how it’s being weighed in your algorithms for the creation of the maps for reassignment. My current Holly Springs freshman can grandfather, which is great. WCPSS won’t provide transportation, which is NOT. I recognize my privilege. I know that we can find a way. When my oldest graduates, we’ll be at another decision point, with our youngest. Keep him in WCPSS, relocate, charter school… Not everyone in our community has this privilege. I’m advocating for my children and theirs, my community and theirs…because we are PART OF THE SAME COMMUNITY.

(And because I want to ensure that WCPSS is not mistaking any of the words that I share, no matter the final draft that is approved, KEEP grandfathering as a significant option for our students, families and communities. I'm also NOT requesting any shake up of alignment on the middle school front)

Some points about Community to ponder. From the National Education Association(An NEA Policy Brief) http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/PB11_ParentInvolvement08.pdf Parent, Family, Community Involvement in Education

“Parents, families, educators and communities—there’s no better partnership to assure that all students pre-K- to high school—have the support and resources they need to succeed in school and in life.”

“Parent, family, and community involvement in education correlates with higher academic performance and school improvement. When schools, parents, families, and communities work together to support learning, students tend to earn higher grades, attend school more regularly, stay in school longer, and enroll in higher level programs. Researchers cite parent-family-community involvement as a key to addressing the school dropout crisis and note that strong school-family-community partnerships foster higher educational aspirations and more motivated students. The evidence holds true for students at both the elementary and secondary level, regardless of the parent’s education, family income, or background—and the research shows parent involvement affects minority students’ academic achievement across all races.”

“To promote student growth and school success at every grade and age, well thought out parent-community-school partnerships, linked to school improvement goals, are needed in every community Research and field-work show that parent-school-partnerships improve schools, strengthen families, build community support, and increase student achievement and success.”

From the NEA aforementioned NEA policy brief under what hinders involvement:

“Others reveal how uncomfortable they feel when trying to communicate with school officials, whether that’s due to language or cultural differences or their own past experiences with school. Some say they lack the know-how and resources to help their child, or they express frustration with school bureaucracies or policies they find impossible to understand or change”

For history on the reassignment in Holly Springs 2 years ago Nov 2017 https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article187079138.html Parents used to fight year-round schools. Now some are lobbying to keep them. “Wake School board sees students and families as 'data points,' not communities, parents say”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article235964117.html October 2019 N&O article: ‘My kids will not be used as pawns.’ Wake parents fight student reassignment plan. “Some Wake County families are unhappy that they could be moved next year to schools that are further away, on a different calendar and potentially also have lower test scores.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article234191802.html August 2019 N&O article: ‘Wake County downplays use of student reassignment to meet new school diversity goal ‘ “The Wake County school board is backing a new effort to reduce school segregation but says it’s not talking about using mass reassignment of students to achieve that goal. “Board members repeatedly said Tuesday that student assignment is only one of the strategies they can use to make schools more diverse.” “We’re not talking about shuffling students like pawns,” school board chairman Jim Martin said in an interview. “The targets are here to understand the challenges.” “How do we find the right balance of choice and cost?” Martin said. “That’s why we’re coming back to the idea of choice with purpose. We have to look at our transportation. We have to look at our academic programming.” “The board agreed in June to set a new diversity goal and directed administrators to come up with a proposal for how it would be accomplished.” “Student assignment staff will present the first draft of the 2020-21 student assignment plan in September. But Martin said that the new goal won’t have a major impact on that plan. Martin said it will take community buy-in and time to make the changes. Administrators proposed giving five years for reaching the goals.”

Finally, I believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are paramount to the success of communities, educational institutions, organizations, and businesses. Full Stop. I request that WCPSS not only consider diversity of all varieties, but that WCPSS consider equity and inclusion as well. It is possible to have diversity and never have equity and inclusion.

TL, DR; Draft 1 Thoughts: Community matters. Choose Existing Communities over dirt.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Purna Yal about 1 month ago

When buying Homes, schools were one of the major consideration in the decision making process, now after buying and settling down a few years, reassigning to other schools is UNFAIR. There was no reason to pay more money for the Home under the better schools location and then go to different schools. If we want our kids go to these other schools, we could have bought the Homes under that location for far better and cheaper pricing, moreover by reassigning, you are kind of forcing us to go to Private or Charter schools. Please understand this situation and if you want, re assign any newer communities and newer apartment buildings to these other schools beforehand and that would help them for their decision making whether or not they want to buy/rent in the area. This is totally unfair for the ones who already bought and settled in, also in most cases, you need to consider Safety, security and the close proximity. KEEP WILDWOOD UNDER HOLLY SPRINGS SCHOOLS.. Thanks for your understanding WCPSS.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Kevin Mann about 1 month ago

A quick second to Purna. I read your arguments that schools cannot be summed up in a single letter grade, but after paying a premium for a house in Holly Springs, for the Holly Springs schools, our home prices are likely to be severely discounted. Even if you do not have kids and just plan to sell a home we are likely to see some losses. You cannot educate the entire real-estate market to "go visit the school...it means more than a single letter grade" so that will be a real outcome for all of us impacted by the move, whether we have kids or not. So test scores play a big role.

By your argument is sounds that mixing more affluent students into schools with lower test scores will inherently and immediately improve test scores. Will you have ample advanced classes, qualified faculty, etc for these students? How do Universities consider the rankings? Do they think that all High Schools in Wake are the same? Or does being a top10 student in school A which is more competitive mean more than being the #1 student in school B that has lower scores? As you know, there is a lot riding on this I think...

3 Votes

Kevin I totally agree with you. Yes Colleges do pay attention to the ranking of high schools. A student who achieves an "A" in a higher ranked high school gets a bigger Merit Scholarship than one who gets an "A" in a lower ranked high school. I know this because my oldest daughter who went to a private high school in NJ got much bigger Merit scholarships than her friends who went to a public high school even though their grades were similar. Yes school rankings do matter. So not only are our house prices impacted but the Merit awards our students can receive will also be impacted. Those of us impacted are getting the short end of the stick in many ways.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Kevin, I reached out to our academics staff for answers to your questions.

How do Universities consider the rankings? Universities consider the rigor of the courses taken against the course offerings available in the high school attended. Essentially, colleges evaluate students based on courses they take IN THE CONTEXT of what is available to them. So it wouldn't be held against a student if their school didn't offer this or that AP course, say, while another applicant's school did.

Or does being a top10 student in school A which is more competitive mean more than being the #1 student in school B that has lower scores? Universities considers each student’s transcript and the course taken versus the opportunities available in the high school attended, as well as community service, extra-curricular activities/sports/work experience/etc.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Ram Kunisetty about 1 month ago

One of the reasons we moved to Holly Springs is having good schools and near to our location. If you move now to different high school, there is no point of buying home in Holly Springs, we would have get it much less price in Fuquay. Also moving from middle school to high school in different place , our children will be ripped apart from their friends and lose any familiarity they currently have. Please keep our Wildwood community to same holly springs high school.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Iqbal Ali about 1 month ago

KEEP WILDWOOD DEVELOPMENT UNDER HSHS. We relocated from New Jersey to NC two years ago and bought a house in Holly Springs for the same reason most others folks did - Holly Springs offered better schools than FV. My son will be a senior in HS when this proposed change will take place and I am not too happy about my son going to FVHS his last year of HS and having to be separated from his friends and the exceptional teachers he is so accustomed too in HSHS. I understand that he can be grandfathered into HSHS, but there is no transportation provided, which is another headache we will have to deal with. Also, with all the construction happening in the neighborhood, I am concerned about the safety of the students who now have to travel further on busy RT 55 to get to school in FV. Lastly, we are paying property taxes for Holly Springs and our kids should be attending HS schools and not FV. HOPEFULLY the board reconsider and keeps Wildwood under Holly Springs school systems!!

3 Votes

I sincerely hope the WCPSS is reading these comments. Matt, is trying to help us understand but still we are all still trying to figure out how the lines for this were determined. I dropped my daughter off to school today (HSHS) and thought how worried I am going to be having her drive all the way to FVHS in two years as a new driver. The roads she would have to take along with rush hour traffic are dark as well for most of the school year. I hope the WCPSS takes this into account when analyzing draft 1. We are talking about high school and you will have new drivers on these roads to add to the already overcrowded roads. Right now their commute is easy pretty straight 3 to 5 min ride with little to no traffic right up Cass Holt road. If none of the other points that people have brought up have convinced you to keep all developments on Cass Holt road assigned to HSHS please consider the safety of Juniors and Seniors that will be forced to drive a much more dangerous route to school.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

MaryAnn, wanted to make sure you saw my response to Kevin above.

How do Universities consider the rankings? Universities consider the rigor of the courses taken against the course offerings available in the high school attended. Essentially, colleges evaluate students based on courses they take IN THE CONTEXT of what is available to them. So it wouldn't be held against a student if their school didn't offer this or that AP course, say, while another applicant's school did.

Or does being a top10 student in school A which is more competitive mean more than being the #1 student in school B that has lower scores? Universities considers each student’s transcript and the course taken versus the opportunities available in the high school attended, as well as community service, extra-curricular activities/sports/work experience/etc.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Purna Yal about 1 month ago

Yes Student safety is much more important, Traffic around HS and FV is only getting worse every day with narrow roads and more and more new Developments.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Concerned Parent about 1 month ago

I do not understand why my child who will be a junior at Holly Springs High School is being reassigned to Fuquay Varina high school. Willow Springs high school is not excepting 11th and 12th graders so moving kids from HSHS to FVHS only crowds classes. Also 11th and 12th grades are at the most critical time for students as colleges are Looking at their academics and how they perform in school. These two years more than any other during their education in WCPSS affects their futures and ensuring that they are on a path to success. Causing an emotional upheaval such as the change in school, loss of friends, adjusting to a new school atmosphere and schedule changes is prohibitive to achieving maximum academic performance. Please reconsider and don’t move kids during their final two years. Let the 11th and 12th graders stay at HSHS.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Amanda Liimatainen about 1 month ago

One last thought. If I remember correctly, when we were using the public forum to comment on Buckhorn Creek Elementary school, following the meetings, the comments were cleared. I understand that this was likely to make room for commentary on the next draft. There should definitely be space to do so. Do keep in mind that all this commentary will likely disappear to somewhere. If so,that means all the great points you've made for your personal situation, your kids, your community are no longer visible.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

A reminder that tonight's Open House is focused on the proposed assignment changes to Salem Elementary and Middle. Changes related to South Lakes Elementary, Willow Spring High, and other proposed assignment changes in and around Fuquay-Varina will be the focus of Tuesday's meeting at Fuquay-Varina High, 1704 Old Honeycutt Road, Fuquay-Varina, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Michelle C about 1 month ago

Hello - jumping in to inquire about assignments for students in southern Wake (south of Hwy 42). I have a rising 9th grader and it would seem, with the opening of Willow Spring High, that we would be included in the reassignment. However, our base schools remain in Garner. Can you please elaborate on plans for our area? Specifically, south of Hwy 42 & Rock Service Station Rd.

If there are no plans, how can we petition to be included in the redistricting to Willow Springs schools?

1 Vote

Default_avatar

All pillars of student assignment need to be considered in the proposal. Draft 1 is a mess. Take a step back from the micro-level data and think like a student or a parent. Dividing lines I'm the middle of neighborhoods or on random streets doesn't make sense. The location of the high schools in this area is very problematic. Please consider using Hwy 55 as a dividing line and stop forcing the crossing of 55 in the school and family transportation plans. Stop playing politics with the assignment of our children to schools. Consider prioritizing assignment to schools for existing communities. This semi annual routine of "shuffling the deck" is for the birds and not becoming of a school district which should.be focused on assisting families in the education of their children.

4 Votes
Default_avatar

Well said. Makes you wonder what's really going on behind the scenes.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

Tim, regarding question about archiving - this discussion will be available on https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/

0 Votes

Default_avatar

The Wildwood community needs to stay assigned to Holly Springs HS (HSHS). I and very many Wildwood community residents that you see here are NOT happy and do NOT support this illogical re-assignment on the grounds of safety and traffic hazards that a change in re-assignment will cause due to new traffic patterns, the very close proximity (less than a mile) of our homes to HSHS to enable our children to actively participate in extra-curricular activities, the school, and ease the burden on parents, and so that our kids have the continuity with friends and the community by staying in HSHS. Our community members have put together well-thought out points and reasons to why WILDWOOD NEEDS TO STAY ASSIGNED TO HOLLY SPRINGS HS:

Wildwood is an established residential single-family community consisting of 157 homes. We are located West of 55 bypass. Garrison and Grove Park Village are also residential single-family subdivisions located west of 55 bypass and south of us. Both Garrison and Grove Park Village remain districted to HSHS while Wildwood is singled out to go to Fuquay-Varina. Wildwood even has a history of sharing bus routes with Garrison to HSHS as recent as last year. Grove Park Village is not as established as a community as it is still under construction. Subdivisions surrounding us on the West and North are also all districted to HSHS. If reassigned to Fuquay-Varina, Wildwood High School students would have to cross over 55 Bypass to connect to other Fuquay-Varina students. Wildwood is bordered by commercially zoned land. We share perimeters with the future Lowes Home Improvement and Wegmans development. The residents of Wildwood along with the Town of Holly Springs staff, The Mayor, and The Town Council have worked tirelessly with Lowes developers and the NCDOT to minimize expected traffic risks to the residents of Wildwood. Reassigning Wildwood to FV will cause buses and teen drivers to turn toward and navigate past these entrances negating all efforts to keep the residents safe. Wildwood needs to stay at HSHS in order to avoid travel dangers a reassignment to FV would bring. The greatest concern has been the anticipated high volume of traffic these large stores will generate including tractor trailer delivery trucks and commercial contractor vehicles pulling trailers full of building materials. Wegmans does not have a distributions site in the area so individual venders will be making truck deliveries throughout the day. Please take note of the recent opening at Wegmans store in Raleigh as to what Wildwood will experience regarding consumer traffic. The infrastructure of this approved development will direct most traffic away from Wildwood encouraging delivery trucks, tractor trailers and contractors to use the future entrance on 55 Bypass as the main entrance and secondarily the future entrance on Ralph Stevens Road which will be located to the east of Wildwood’s only way in or out of the subdivision. Both Lowes Home Improvement and Wegmans will have the above-mentioned traffic activity before buses start running in the morning with an even greater impact for the afternoon return home. 55Bypass intersection at Ralph Stevens Road will be turned into another super street like the one at Target. Tractor trailers will be making u-turns as inexperienced drivers and school buses would be making right hand turns at the same time in the same direction. The outcome of accidents involving semi-trucks can be devastating. This is of extreme importance. Reassignment of Wildwood will Undo what the town has accomplished with Lowes, Wegmans and the NCDOT in one swift act. As with most families assigned to HSHS, school selection was a top priority in deciding where to live. The walkability, proximity of the schools was a deciding factor for many of the Wildwood residents in choosing this neighborhood over another. The bus ride to Holly Springs High School is a ten-minute run from beginning to end. Wildwood is in the Township of Holly Springs and we pay town taxes to support the infrastructure of Holly Springs and one of the benefits is sidewalks. Some of Wildwood’s Holly Springs High School and Holly Grove Middle School students currently ride their bikes or walk to school. There is a section not paved. However, current proposed/approved commercial developments will make the final connections for us shortly. Continuing to be able to ride and walk with such close proximity of the High School with allow more students to participate in after school activities they might otherwise miss out on because of transportation issues with parents’ work schedules.
We are less than a mile away from HSHS as a crow flies and we hear the high school football games from our homes. We would like to continue to enjoy the games and listen to the band and the other sporting events and activities at Holly Springs as OUR school and not as a rival school. Wildwood is a the only single-family subdivision selected in this up and coming interconnected section of the west side of 55 bypass. The high school students in our neighborhood will feel segregated once sidewalk connections are complete and gathering places further established. Wildwood would be best served to remain a part of HSHS as continued participants in this interconnected section of Holly Springs allowing for stability for our children who have established relationships in this section of the town. Please redraw your assignment line to keep Wildwood as part of HSHS.

We ask that our elected officials do the right and logical thing by keeping the Wildwood community assigned to HSHS!

2 Votes

Default_avatar

Additional supplementary and data points on why the Wildwood community wants to stay a part of and assigned to Holly Springs HS (HSHS):

1. Teen drivers and buses will be forced to navigate entrances/exits of the Lowes/Wegmans site in addition to the traffic at the corner of Ralph Stevens Rd and 55 Bypass. Semi-trucks, contractors towing trailers with heavy building materials, high volume of traffic entering and exiting does not mix well with buses and inexperienced teen drivers.
  2. We are within such close proximity to Holly Springs High School that we hear the band, football games and other sporting events from our home. We want to be part of the school spirit and not listen to this as a rival school. We like and benefit from the sense of belonging and connection to the community this brings.
  3. Proximity again...students are riding bikes to school and can even walk to school. We have bus service but the walkability allows students to participate in after school activities they might otherwise miss out on due to transportation issues with parents' work schedules.
  4. Wildwood is the only single-family subdivision selected in this up and coming interconnected section of the West side of 55 bypass. The high school students in our neighborhood will feel segregated once sidewalk connections are complete and gathering places further established.
  5. If Wildwood went to FV our kids would have to walk across 55bypass, a six (6) lane Hwy at this intersection (counting turning lanes) to connect to other FV students. (no subdivisions close to Wildwood in any direction on the West side of 55 are being reassigned to FV).
  6. Wildwood has 157 homes yielding a small # of high school students at any given time. Currently under 20 students. Projecting out: based on this year’s middle school bus having 3 subdivisions of equal size on the route; the Bus has 24 seats, law calculates capacity at 2.5 students per seat for 6-8th graders, total is 60 students, divide by 3 subdivision yields approx. 20 students for each subdivision give or take a few students; add 5 more students due to High School being 4 grades not 3 like middle school and we’ll have average of 25 high school students.
  7. Wildwood staying in HSHS will not impact the school systems numbers in any significant way but reassigning Wildwood to FV would negatively impact this community in a multitude of ways
4 Votes

There are other neighborhoods impacted west of 55. Avocet, Oliver Creek and others.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Concerned Wildwood Parent about 1 month ago

As a concerned parent the Wildwood community, we ask that our community remains in the Holly Springs High district! Many community members have already laid out the arguments and valid reasons for staying with HSHS. Those we elect and the board have the legislative obligation to listen to our concerns and heed our voices. I will summarize here:

1. Safety - the community has already tirelessly worked with the town, NC DOT, and officials to mitigate traffic and safety issues that this debacle of commercial development right behind our backyards will cause. By changing the school assignment, you are changing the HW 55 traffic patterns in a detrimental way and YOU as the county are putting extra unnecessary risk on our kids, the buses, and drivers by changing school assignment
  2. Closeness to HSHS - the school is right behind our neighborhood, less than 5 mins away, walking distance, and no need to traverse busy bi-ways to get to the school. Why do our kids now need to drive on HW 55 in traffic to go to another school in a different city? Many parents in the neighborhood work in RTP - why are you putting an extra 20-30 mins on top of our normal long commute time if they need to now drive out of their on the way or from work to drop off or pick up kids?
  3. This is what is best for the kids - high schoolers are engaged in extra-curricular activities and events in school - re-assignment to a school much further away, especially taking into consideration traffic, is counter-intuitive to this goal. The kids want to maintain the continuity in friendships while moving from Holly Grove MS to Holly Springs HS.
  4. We live in Holly Springs - we are not paying higher taxes to live in Holly Springs to then send our kids to Fuqua! Wildwood has been assigned to Holly Springs HS since the community started - residents of our community VOLUNTARILY opted-in to Holly Springs high school when we chose live in community. My understanding is that there are new neighborhoods that do not need to contend with these issues that are planning to get new assignment to Holly Springs HS. To be brutally honest, it makes much more logical sense for them to be zoned to Fuqua and that provides residents a free choice if they want to live in that community and attend Fuqua HS. Please do not penalize current residents by forcing a decision that we do not agree with.

A change in re-assignment does not solve your goals, only exacerbates the issues and puts unnecessary burden and safety risk on our community. As our representatives, please do what is RIGHT for the community and vote to keep Wildwood assigned to Holly Springs HS. Do not vote for something that you yourself would not agree with for your own kids or your community!!!

3 Votes
Default_avatar
julie black about 1 month ago

The above comments embody all the same feelings every community affected by this proposal have. Please take into consideration keeping the smaller developments (Park Ave and Park at Bass Lake) off Grigsby at HSHS as they are within Holly Spring’s city limits.

3 Votes

Also applies to Avocet and other communities on Cass Holt road.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Diana Johnston about 1 month ago

very well said! Thank you!

0 Votes

As a concerned parent from the small Avocet community I am looking forward to discussing the concerns of our development about these changes as well with the board members tonight. I appreciate the fact that you all will be making yourselves available to discuss our concerns with you.

Avocet is a small community that is a 3 min ride up Cass Holt Road to HSHS. I mention this because of the safety our our new drivers (my daughter included). Right now it is an easy trip straight up the road. It literally takes 3 mins from our community to get to HSHS with little to no traffic. Having our kids have to drive to FVHS will involve making some dangerous left hand turns on dark back roads during the morning rush hour. As an experienced driver of many years it is a challenge to make these left hand turns during the morning rush when these kids will be out there trying to get to school. Please don't put our teen drivers in harms way when today they have a very simple ride to school. The way the lines are drawn, in the proposal there are homes right across from our development which are still mapped to HSHS. It would not take much to move that line over to include our development. The trailer camp next to our development is also still mapped to HSHS. Please move the line to include our community and keep our teen drivers safe.

This proposal is supposed to happen in 2021 to 2022. I am confused since FVHS will have all 11th and 12 graders at the new school during this year. Moving additional 11th and 12th graders from HSHS makes no sense it will be over crowded at FVHS. Juniors and Seniors who will be getting ready to apply for college acceptances should not be moved to the new school during this time. They need stability at this very critical time and not overcrowding.

Children have formed their friendships at this critical time in their lives. Moving them so late in the game is not a good idea. Let them finish at their school. I am appreciative of the grandfathering rule but without transportation this is a hardship. We pay county taxes to support our schools yet our kids will not have transportation. This puts a hardship on the families impacted who chose to grandfather their students. I have to work in north Cary, she will be limited in her activities as well as having to find a ride home from school. Once again this has a negative impact on a student.

There are two very large developments being built. Foundations not yet poured that are mapped to HSHS. Why? These communities should be the ones mapped to FVHS. They have to ties to a specific school. When the people who purchase these houses buy them they will know what schools their kids will attend. It makes more sense to move 800 new homes instead of a bunch of small communities that have already made ties and are part of the school community. Please MOVE DIRT and NOT CHILDREN!

Please know these "numbers" are children that you are determining their future with this proposal. Young lives that can be put at risk or at a disadvantage because you are moving them from their friends, their school their whole world (to them at this age).

I plead with the board to think of our children. Keep them in their current school.

2 Votes
Default_avatar

I agree Mary Ann. It makes no sense to move Avocet to Fuquay. My daughter told me this morning that Holly Springs High is our neighbor. That is true! When someone asks where we live, we say behind the high school. Holly Springs is part of our community. I would like to also ask that the new construction in Holly Springs be mapped to Fuquay, instead of our community. From my research, I see more than two large developments mapped to HS. These new homeowners can move in knowing from day 1 that FVHS would be their assigned high school. They would have the choice, unlike us at this point.

2 Votes

Default_avatar

If I wanted my children to go to Fuquay schools, we would have bought a house in Fuquay. There are many reasons why we live in Holly Springs but the number 1 reason why we have stayed are the SCHOOLS. The idea of my middle schooler having to go to Fuquay High School (when HSHS is 2 miles from our home) is not okay and should not be imposed on our, and many other, families. It's not right and not fair. I don't care what "the numbers" say.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

I am very, very upset with the proposed reassignment. I do not understand a plan that moves our children from a High School that is 2 miles from our neighborhood (Avocet) to a school that is almost 7 miles away for a new high school that is an even further 11 miles away! Furthermore, when my son reaches high school, he will not be placed in the same school as his sister, who is currently a sophomore. This is insane and completely unacceptable!

We thought we made it very clear when the new elementary school (Buckhorn Creek) was finished that the MOST important thing to families is proximity - we want our children to go to neighborhood schools, not be shipped off to other schools making it difficult for after school activities and harder on families for picking up, dropping off and managing those times we need to pick up a sick kid or return to school after an appointment.

Unless there are anterior motives this redistricting makes no sense and needs to be corrected immediately.

2 Votes

I was very disappointed in the so called "forum" we as parents supposedly had at the meeting last night. Board members would only take questions and would not let any of us express our concerns. It took those of us from Avocet 30 mins to drive to a meeting and we were NOT allowed to express our concerns. They told us to post them on this forum which is being shut down today. So here I am one more time.

It seems to me like this draft is bias against small developments why are they the only ones being targeted? Our children (not numbers) are already established in HSHS. Their friends, their social network and this proposal will pull them from this social and support network. Parents are also involved and support their current school. But let’s look at the facts here will this latest phase of disrupting the lives families even make the numbers needed? You say HSHS is over crowed just look at homes that are yet to be built. Look at the sheer number of them that would be mapped to HSHS. This proposal will become ineffective in the year or two that it takes to build these homes. You are not even achieving effect numbers.
This draft will not meet the needs of this area in the very near future. These are new homes that will be built in Holly Springs:

https://www.hollyspringsnc.us/1601/Disclaimer-for-Interactive-Development-M

Look at the total number of these homes There are a total of 1,951 with several additional developments still in the approval process. They would be mapped to HSHS. This is not fair to all our children. We are here NOW our kids go to HSHS NOW yet this proposal moves our children and not these empty lots. The proposal needs to map these new homes to FVHS and leave the current developments in HSHS. The board would achieve their numbers much more efficiently and they will be longer lasting. The new buyers will be aware of what schools their children will be attending. These new students are starting over in a new school system and they won’t feel the impacts that existing students feel when they are forced to leave their school and friends behind.
Please remap this proposal and move dirt not children.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

MaryAnn, that was a default date on closing the forum. I've extended it through Nov. 5, the day Draft 2 is released. This discussion will then be archived and will post a new discussion with new topic threads regarding Draft 2 proposals.

1 Vote
Default_avatar

How will we, the ones affected by all of this, be able to access this forum once archived? There are many comments on here that will still be relevant when the draft 2 hits the streets.

0 Votes

Thank you as always Matt!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Ravi Talluri about 1 month ago

We live in Parks at Bass Lake neighborhood, right next to Sugg Farms, which is less than 2 miles from the Holly Springs City Hall. We decided to move to this city and neighborhood because of the schools. I can’t understand why we want to send our kids to a different town. I understand the growth, but people who live right in the heart of the city should not have to go to a different town. All neighborhoods around the school should be going to the closest school. So many safety reasons, when our kids start driving, you want them to navigate the high traffic Hwy 55 to FV? We actively participate in high school activities, because its so close to home.

Also, Holly Springs is being impacted by this move but none of the informational meetings are scheduled to be held in Holly Springs. Many residents in my neighborhood do not support this proposal. HOPEFULLY the board reconsider their plans to move Holly Springs kids to FV. I hope someone is reading these comments.

1 Vote

Default_avatar

I am also in Avocet subdivision in Holly Springs, a mere 157 seconds drive from Holly Springs High. This is a Holly Springs High community!! We discuss the football games, the teachers, the electives, we have kids who graduated together, we wear purple and Hawks gear. We hear the band practicing, and the cheers on game nights. It is a safe, short drive for our newly licensed kids. Everything about HSHS as a school and as our assigned school makes sense. We all purchased in Avocet knowing Holly Springs was the high school. Proximity and community should count more than an algorithm that led to a line being drawn.

Was the approved new construction which includes SEVERAL hundred homes which are in the blue to attend HSHS included in that algorithm? Many of the new homes will be in walking distance from Avocet. I don't believe it was considered. We who have established homes and kids in HSHS should have priority over the residents not even here yet. We LOVE the school.

I understand that this is a hard job - to propose to impact families' and kids' lives in a huge way. I would like for the Board to see and understand that the impact to this area of Holly Springs would be a negative one.

3 Votes

Default_avatar

I have lived in Wake County my entire life. We bought our first home in Holly Springs in 1999. My oldest son will be graduating from HSHS this year. His entire academic career (minus 2 years where Wake County moved him to Herbert Akins) have been in Holly Springs. My youngest is currently in 7th grade at Holly Ridge. He has been in Holly Springs schools his entire career as well and has grown up watching his brother at HSHS. These schools are our schools. These schools are why we have remained in Holly Springs. Two years ago we bought a new home in the established neighborhood of Avocet, mainly because of its 2 mile proximity to HSHS. This is extremely important to our family.

I know what I just said means nothing to the Wake County School Board. I know that numbers are what are looked at when it comes to opening new schools and redistricting neighborhoods.

So, these are the numbers you need to look at:

1700+ homes going up in new neighborhoods in area around HSHS. All these new neighborhoods are slated for HSHS. For example, three of these neighborhoods are: Vorhees Subdivision-Cass Holt and Rouse Rd Multi family development on Ralph Stephens Rd. “Stephens Tract” Bridgeberry III on Rex Road

Meanwhile, Avocet and Oliver Creek, which together total just over 300 homes, already have family ties to HSHS are now slated to move to FVHS, over 5 miles away, when the new FVHS is completed. Until then, it will be 10 miles away at what will eventually be Willow Springs High School. This drive, with traffic, will take over 30 minutes, one way. Not only is the distance and time an extreme burden, but also, it is traveling to another town, another community, another set of kids.

This needs to be switched.

The 1700 new homes don’t even have foundations poured yet. They have no ties at all to HSHS. If the numbers are the concerns, then these 1700+ homes are the ones that should be sent to FVHS. If you are concerned with overcrowding in HS, why send this many homes to HSHS? Keep our 300 homes in HS and send the 1700 to FV. Problem solved.

Uprooting established families to go from one school to the next is WRONG.

2 Votes

Just want to remind the board of another question. Hopefully they are reading these comments. Why are you moving additional students to FVHS in 2021-2022? As stated by this proposal, all 11th and 12th graders will be located in FVHS (Willow Springs will only start with 9th and 10th graders). These will mean that FVHS will be overcrowded for these grades so why is this proposal of transferring MORE kids to those grades in 2021 and 2022? Shouldn't those students be allowed to move on before any additional students are added? Why impact both the current FVHS students as well as the transferred HSHS students? This doesn't make any sense to begin transferring any HSHS students until the year 2023 to 2024.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Lisa Milliger about 1 month ago

I truly appreciate the difficulty in creating a plan that is equitable to all and am very much grateful for the thought and consideration that goes into it.

However, I am very concerned ( for a couple of reasons), regarding the move of our neighborhood, Avocet, which is off of Cass Holt Rd. and less than 2 miles from Holly Springs High School to Fuquay Varina High School, which is more than double the distance away. I am concerned for the safety of our adolescent drivers during peak rush hour traffic. Driving in these conditions is hazardous for even the most experienced driver. Also, busing times will certainly increase dramatically. The vast majority of parents in our neighborhood literally drive by HSHS every morning on their commute to work. If the need to travel to FVHS was added, we would be driving more than 12 miles out of the way and adding a minimum of 25 minutes to commute times.

Additionally, our neighborhood has already dealt with a change in school assignment just 2 short years ago. We were reassigned to Buckhorn Creek Elementary from Holly Grove Elementary at that time. This reassignment required our neighborhood to change from a year round elementary school (which then fed into a year round middle school) to a traditional calendar elementary school that continues to feed into a year round middle school. This change alone has engendered drastic implications for many families in our neighborhood and their heartfelt attempts to maintain some form of familial unity. At that time, we were told that the neighborhood would not have to go through reassignment for the next 6 years.

Further, there are multiple new neighborhoods that are in pre-construction phases in the area. One of these neighborhoods includes 600 new homes on Honeycutt Rd. Given that these are neighborhoods that have not even built a home yet, it makes a tremendous amount of sense to move these neighborhoods to FVHS and keep families that have already established their relationships socially, academically, extracurricularly with Holly Springs High School. We are an established community with strong ties to HSHS and it would serve as a great injustice to uproot these children, and collaterally, their families again.

I am asking that you please take the time to reflect and engage consideration toward moving the line less than a quarter mile to include our neighborhood in the Holly Springs High School demographic. Please consider moving "in-process" neighborhoods that are not even built over moving established communities.

2 Votes