This Discussion channel is currently closed.

To keep up with projected growth in some parts of the county and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re opening three new schools:

Other parts of the proposal are aimed at relieving some overcrowded schools, increasing the base attendance areas at under-utilized schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

Some students affected by this proposal will be able to submit a stability transfer and remain at their current school. Review the stability rules.

Enter your address to see if you're proposed to have a new school assignment in 2022-23.

Find the thread below that applies to you and share any questions and feedback. Staff and board members review questions and feedback as they prepare for the second draft of the proposal, which is scheduled to be presented to the board on Nov. 16. View timeline.

Under this proposal, some students currently assigned to Leesville Elementary would be assigned to Underwood and Powell Elementary schools, some students currently assigned to Root Elementary would be assigned to Powell Elementary School and some students assigned to Brooks Elementary would be assigned to Root Elementary. See if you are proposed to be affected

Some students affected by this proposal would be eligible to stay at their current school under our stability rules

Please share your feedback about this proposal below.

2 Responses

Default_avatar
Lindsay Giroux almost 3 years ago

My son attends Powell as magnet student. The proposal would change Powell to our base school. Because of the difference in middle school magnet priorities for base students at a magnet (priority 4 for pathway, no priority necessarily for nonpathway) vs. magnet students at a magnet (priority 2 or priority 3), I would like clarity on whether this change would change him from a “magnet student at his school” vs. a “base student.”

(I understand this probably is pretty unique to us given that we moved closer when we got a magnet seat. But it seems like it would effect his school assignment not at all but has the possible impact on middle school.) thanks!

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Corallie Tornow admin almost 3 years ago

Hi Lindsay, Staff from the Office of Student Assignment will reach out to discuss your particular situation.

0 Votes