This Discussion channel is currently closed.

To keep up with projected growth in some parts of the county and prevent the overcrowding of schools, we’re opening three new schools:

Other parts of the proposal are aimed at relieving some overcrowded schools, increasing the base attendance areas at under-utilized schools, and improving transportation efficiency. 

Some students affected by this proposal will be able to submit a stability transfer and remain at their current school. Review the stability rules.

Enter your address to see if you're proposed to have a new school assignment in 2022-23.

Find the thread below that applies to you and share any questions and feedback. Staff and board members review questions and feedback as they prepare for the second draft of the proposal, which is scheduled to be presented to the board on Nov. 16. View timeline.

Draft 1 of the Student Enrollment Proposal includes a proposal that would change the calendar application school for some schools. 

Students who live in the base attendance area of the following schools are proposed to have changes to their calendar application schools:

• Abbotts Creek Elementary (no current students affected)
  • Wakefield Middle
  • Sycamore Creek Elementary
  • Fuquay-Varina Middle

Use our address look-up tool to see your proposed application schools. 

Please share your feedback about these proposals below.

13 Responses

Bootstrap_10158654879688789
Kelly Markham almost 3 years ago

Please post a topic focused on the Proposed Reassignment from Apex Friendship High School to Middle Creek High School. How do I go about having that added as a topic to the main page?

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Corallie Tornow admin almost 3 years ago

Hi Kelly, there are no proposed changes from Apex Friendship High to Middle Creek high. The address lookup has been updated to reflect this.

0 Votes
Bootstrap_10158654879688789
Kelly Markham almost 3 years ago

Thank you!

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Matt Vernon almost 3 years ago

Ours are attending Sycamore Creek ES and thriving under the year-round calendar. The proposed plan would have them transition to a traditional calendar, with no application option. After one year, our family would split schedules, with one child attending a year-round base, and the other traditional. This is infeasible.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Steve Lim almost 3 years ago

Families being reassigned from Sycamore Creek need a YR option. For my family, I need Barton Pond to be a YR school or not be reassigned from Sycamore Creek.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Blair Roberts almost 3 years ago

Families need a year round option that are being reassigned to Bartons Pond. It will be a scheduling nightmare to have children go from year round to traditional, then to a year round middle school while siblings are in traditional elementary! We wanted to be in a year round district and now Wake County is not giving us that option.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kevin Scott almost 3 years ago

This proposed change from SCES to Barton Pond Traditional is not acceptable with an older student enrolled at Pine Hollow. We have thrived in year-round and now going back to traditional does not meet our families' needs.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Kristin Lundeen almost 3 years ago

As others have stated, splitting families among traditional and year round between elementary and middle school students as is the case for 20% of proposed BPES is really not necessary when there are many options to consider to avoid that scenario. Also, there is demand for another year round elementary option in north/northwest Raleigh. It seems Barton Pond could fill this need without the added complexity of multi-tracks by making it a single track YR or modified calendar school. Repeatedly, the response given for why Barton's Pond is not year round is that this decision was based on projected residential growth which makes sense for why not a multi-track but not ST or modified.

4 Votes
Default_avatar
Read Gentry over 2 years ago

YES! A modified calendar for Barton Pond or a single track would be a great solution to an problem that's being created for many families. I only have two children two years apart and am looking at a 5 year issue when entering middle school of not having my children on the same calendar which poses a large financial issue for me with double the amount of childcare when each of them is out of school as well as juggling vacations, or lack there of unless I pull someone out of school. Its a nightmare. I can't imagine what this will do for families with more children. We are simply asking for a compromise solution for our community.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Read Gentry over 2 years ago

I would like to see Barton Pond Elementary changed to a modified calendar. This would be a great compromise as you are pulling many year round families and then asking them to return to year round for middle school. Using the modified calendar would allow for an easier transition for these year round families now and when entering middle school, and it would only minimally impact the traditional calendar families.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Lim over 2 years ago

After attending the virtual info session last night, it is clear Barton Pond cannot be opened on a modified schedule (not allowed per regulation) and is not likely to be opened as a single track year round school (80% of currently assigned students are coming from traditional calendar schools). This presents a significant challenge for those of us assigned to Barton Pond from Sycamore Creek as we have no feasible year round elementary option (transfer requests are rarely approved [only 6 approved last year] and even if approved provide no bus transportation) despite also being assigned to a year round middle school. Is there another option to increase enrollment from Sycamore Creek on a voluntary basis? Can Barton Pond be considered the traditional calendar choice option for this school? Can the new neighborhoods currently under construction be reassigned from Sycamore Creek to Barton Pond to minimize the disruption for existing students? These neighborhoods are at a closer proximity to Barton Pond than my neighborhood (Chestnut Oaks) which is one of the furthest locations assigned to the new school. It doesn't seem like we have a reasonable chance for a year round option for elementary school given this new assignment which going to be a logistical nightmare for parents and administrators trying to balance the traditional / year round schedules for siblings across elementary and middle schools.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Allison Lim over 2 years ago

Another solution for Sycamore Creek is to KEEP it as a Year Round Calendar application school which will allow more families to stay at this school.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Kristen Deak over 2 years ago

While I appreciate that a new school must be filled and that there will be unhappy families no matter what is decided, it feels like some of the decisions are being made to that end, without regards to what makes sense for the families and students involved.

To this point, families of the Barton's Creek Bluffs (BCBs) neighborhood are being asked to switch current Sycamore Creek (SCES) students from YR to traditional for a few years, then back to YR for middle, then back to traditional. Additionally, many of families these often with older kids already in YR middle school at Pine Hollow (PHMS). There is no YR option being offered, which is due to the need to "fill the new school". Part of BCBs were recently reassigned to SCES in 2015. While many in the Barton's Creek Bluffs subdivision chose this area due to the year round education offered at SCES, I understand that Wake county is growing and this was never a guarantee. However, year round calendar is beneficial to families with both parents working to space out the burden/cost of out of school childcare. Additionally, the YR calendar has a positive impact on learning for many students, but I can't imagine that asking students to switch between calendars every 3 years (such as would be the case for a 3rd grader moving from SCES to BPES on the new assignment) would not hurt this child's learning pattern.

I believe that this proposed assignment will hurt PHMS enrollment, as most families with kids moving to BPES will choose to switch to traditional to align calendars (including our family). There is already decreasing enrollment at PHMS.

I ask that you consider a more gradual transition or "stability" plan which specifically allows students, regardless of grade level", to remain at their current school if being reassigned to a different calendar, a YR option as well as a traditional option for all address, OR, I ask that you consider making Barton Pond a single track YR school as there are very limited YR options for families.

2 Votes